Pre-Match/Halftime Music

Mek
First Team Star

Feb 9, 2014, 11:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 25 (4493 views)
Shortcut
Pre-Match/Halftime Music Can't Post or Reply Privately

Where is the best place you have been and heard decent/unusual & interesting pre-match music over the PA ?

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 10, 2014, 9:29 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 25 (4463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mek] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

1. Maidenhead United - lots of punk and 70's classics with 'Hurry Up Harry' by Sham 69 the top tune

2. Rochdale - 90's baggy indie stuff.

3. Spalding United - Emerson, Lake & Palmer (a live recording)

Otherwise it should be compulsory to play 'The Liquidator' pre-kick-off everywhere.

Steve (MUFC)
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 10, 2014, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Maidenhead United, Arsenal, Partick Thistle, Polonia Warsaw

Post #3 of 25 (4458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
1. Maidenhead United - lots of punk and 70's classics with 'Hurry Up Harry' by Sham 69 the top tune

Not heard at York Road since I stood down from my PA duties in 2011.
When Bristol Rovers played at Twerton Park, their eccentric PA man Bob used to insist on only playin Frank Sinatra. I believe he was sacked after broadcasting an obvious joke about Bristol City substitute Junior Bent.
Entered Priory Lane, Eastbourne Borough earlier this season to the sound of Stereolab. Which was nice.

Read my football blog: http://educatedleftfoot.blogspot.com/

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 10, 2014, 11:33 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #4 of 25 (4451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve (MUFC)] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

wish Wrexham would play dj Sammy boys of summer or alice deej your not alone.Cool

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

jon b
First Team Star

Feb 10, 2014, 1:27 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #5 of 25 (4426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the end of one particularly fraught and ill tempered home derby match which we'd rather luckily won, some bright spark decided at final whistle to play "I predict a riot".

As at the time it was my role to prevent off field trouble, I was dischuffed. Frown

UKPunk

Feb 10, 2014, 2:10 PM

Post #6 of 25 (4414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At a match a couple of years ago the portly ref was treated to a rendition of 'I predict a diet' by the home fans. CoolCool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

acmold

Feb 10, 2014, 2:12 PM

Post #7 of 25 (4410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or

Oxford United always used to come out to Gary Glitter's Leader of he Gang until a few years ago, then they decided to stop playing it.

VP

Feb 10, 2014, 9:20 PM

Post #8 of 25 (4362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mek] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Where is the best place you have been and heard decent/unusual & interesting pre-match music over the PA ?

Camberley Town!
We don't do it at every game but sometimes the secretary will put an awful cd on over the PA pre-match such as Coldplay or, even worse, the sort of classic rock you get on those 'Driving Anthems' albums. Songs like Eye Of The Tiger should be banned from everywhere for all time as far as I'm concerned. I complained about his choice of music a few times so he said I could take my ipod down there. Much better, only problem is I sometimes forget when I have the uncensored version of a song on it and the punters get the odd swear word or three thrown in and bands like Rage Against The Machine are completely off the menu.

(This post was edited by VP on Feb 10, 2014, 9:21 PM)

Mishi

Feb 10, 2014, 10:23 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #9 of 25 (4348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you want your choice of music at Champion Hill you can have it...if you pay for it!

We do a 'ten tunes for a tenner' scheme, where you choose ten tracks to be played over the tannoy before kick off & at half time.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

UKPunk

Feb 10, 2014, 11:01 PM

Post #10 of 25 (4332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's a brilliant idea. What 10 tracks would you choose Mishi?

Some of mine wouldn't be allowed due to their content. Unsure

AndyE
First Team Star

Feb 10, 2014, 11:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 25 (4327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After some time without a working PA at Chatham Town, we now have one again - and so music is once again being played. The chairman's taste in music goes little beyond Phil Collins and Celine Dion, so after a couple of games he was eased out of the DJ's chair. Unfortunately, the guy who has taken over the chair has managed to get a copy of a rare 45 called "Return of the Chats" (DTS Records, Rochester, 1979) - and plays it more than is strictly necessary. (We're trying to find out who owns the rights, with a view to buying them provided he doesn't ask for much money. At that point we'll put the song on YouTube.)

Bring back our legendary PA announcer of a few years back, who used to play Hawkwind and Led Zeppelin!

(This post was edited by AndyE on Feb 10, 2014, 11:10 PM)

VP

Feb 11, 2014, 1:36 AM

Post #12 of 25 (4309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Unfortunately, the guy who has taken over the chair has managed to get a copy of a rare 45 called "Return of the Chats" (DTS Records, Rochester, 1979) - and plays it more than is strictly necessary. (We're trying to find out who owns the rights, with a view to buying them provided he doesn't ask for much money. At that point we'll put the song on YouTube.)

I've found the record you were talking about here - http://www.7tt77.co.uk/DTS.htm
That suggests Phil Henderson probably owns the copyright. You'll know this having the record but, if you don't know who he is, try the Music Publishers Association. http://www.mpaonline.org.uk/...sion-use-piece-music
Phil Henderson isn't the easiest name to look for on Google but, as a complete stab in the dark, you may want to contact this fella to see if it's him - http://www.philipgwhenderson.com/bio.html

I don't know if you are aware but the other person named on the record, Dave Tewes, owned DTS Studios and played in various bands, the most famous of which was Edison Lighthouse. He passed away in 2012.

(This post was edited by VP on Feb 11, 2014, 1:41 AM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 11, 2014, 6:27 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #13 of 25 (4300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If you want your choice of music at Champion Hill you can have it...if you pay for it!

We do a 'ten tunes for a tenner' scheme, where you choose ten tracks to be played over the tannoy before kick off & at half time.

Really, that's a great idea!
Is there a waiting list?
Got me thinking now about which ten I'd choose Unsure start a thread please Wink

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

AndyE
First Team Star

Feb 11, 2014, 11:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 25 (4277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

VP, thanks for that info about the Chatham Town record. I'll pass it onto the relevant department!

Before we'd all heard the record, we'd sort of assumed that Judge Dread would have been something to do with it - he was involved with the club in the 70s, and at one point tried to buy the club but was rebuffed by the board of the time. In fact, he wasn't involved with the record at all - which is a bit of a shame, although it's probably just as well that he didn't write the lyrics!

Richard Rundle

Feb 11, 2014, 6:24 PM

Post #15 of 25 (4246 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Grumpy middle-aged man time again

I prefer the music they play at local low-level grounds; i.e. none. If I want to hear music I'll play my own, at a volume level of my choice thanks. Keep the noise pollution to a minimum.

jrev61

Feb 11, 2014, 6:41 PM

Team(s): None

Post #16 of 25 (4242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At Tonbridge a few years ago I had to endure a whole Chas and Dave album.Mad

jrev61

UKPunk

Feb 11, 2014, 7:53 PM

Post #17 of 25 (4231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As bad as that is I'd still prefer that to chart crap like One Direction or JLS. Unsure

I tend to agree with Richard if only because 99.9% of the songs I've ever heard at a ground have, in my opinion, been utter shite.

Mega Hot tea
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 11, 2014, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers & Boreham Wood

Post #18 of 25 (4216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I dont want to hear any music at football full stop. Not before, not after, its serves to acheive nothing and its one of the few things I dont like about the non-league match experience.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 11, 2014, 10:13 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #19 of 25 (4210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mega Hot tea] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another one who can't abide the half-time drone of dross, whether it be wannabe deejay's, over-excited twattish announcers or interval "entertainment". Just give us the half-time scores and attendance figure if available, then go away till the game has finished.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Feb 11, 2014, 10:28 PM

Post #20 of 25 (4203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just give us the half-time scores and attendance figure if available, then go away till the game has finished ......

..... and the winning raffle numbers. Please don't forget the raffle numbers ... Wink

pitch 63
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2014, 6:05 AM

Post #21 of 25 (4182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As a kid I remember being taken to Football League matches where the local British Legion band used to play on the pitch at half time come rain or shine; they were incredibly boring.
However, the highlight for me was seeing an oompah band playing at half time in Hopfgarten, Austria; they were funny, brilliant and delightful entertainment.
Half time music does nothing for me when played over the pa system accompanied by an announcer who is always full of himself.
Going away from the topic a bit - I can't remember a woman announcer on a pa system anywhere.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 12, 2014, 10:56 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #22 of 25 (4167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Just give us the half-time scores and attendance figure if available, then go away till the game has finished ......

..... and the winning raffle numbers. Please don't forget the raffle numbers ... Wink

I can't abide the music either but the winning raffle numbers are even more depressing. Mad

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 6, 2014, 8:00 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #23 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stunned to hear this at half-time on Tuesday at Coalville - Duel by Propaganda. Happy days.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhYxLE8uCA

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Mar 6, 2014, 8:07 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #24 of 25 (3855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Pre-Match/Halftime Music [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All the music we need at Molineux is the return of the LIQUIDATOR just before kick-off at the start and before the kick-off after half-time; don`t care what that lot down in Sandwell think or do....

AndyE
First Team Star

Feb 13, 2019, 2:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 25 (1926 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
(We're trying to find out who owns the rights, with a view to buying them provided he doesn't ask for much money. At that point we'll put the song on YouTube.)

With apologies for bumping up a five year old discussion, Chatham Town FC now owns the rights to the record it made in 1979.

It's not a musical masterpiece, although those who like brass band music may like the prominent appearance of what was then the Marconi Brass Band so we've put it on YouTube. I haven't found myself in the "video" yet ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5fCp1bxJIo

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3