Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
wetherspoon pubs

First page Previous page 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 Next page Last page  View All

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 19, 2019, 1:52 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #4476 of 4509 (2514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lost three hours of my life yesterday when I had the misfortune to
spend it in the Dairyman, Brentwood.

I don't say this lightly but cannot recall ever being in such a depressing
shit hole of a pub in all my years.

Didn't have much choice - why do seriously well-heeled guys find the
need to go to such places just to get £2 off a pint of Guinness on a Monday?

If was an imbiber of the 'black stuff' I'd have happily paid three sovs a pint
extra than to have spent the time in said dump.

Soulless, miserable staff, whom I asked three time to have our table cleared
- I might s well spoken in Catalan considering the lack of response I was given.

Full of fat ugly women with screaming kids - twas like a bad dream.

Free admission, no programmes, attendance c100 (Head count)...

But you stayed for three hours none the less?
CoolCool

I went Society Rooms in Maidstone for my Monday night £2.25 a pint Guiness fix, quiz night and football on the TV, what more could you want?Cool

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 19, 2019, 3:26 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #4477 of 4509 (2483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

@ Leo

Unfortunately it was a business meet, hence the 'didn't have
much choice' quote and having turned up ten minutes late,
a bottle of red was awaiting me on arrival.

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton.

FA Vase semi wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

Climate Change
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 1, 2019, 4:41 PM

Post #4478 of 4509 (2034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Refurbishment finally underway at Yr Hen Orsaf. It's shut until 26 March.

I don't need Google. I have a Hoddy.

Yatesman
First Team Sub

Mar 1, 2019, 7:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #4479 of 4509 (2000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Seems to be doing a tour of his establishments does Mr Martin as he was in Leicester a couple of weeks ago. Nothing wrong with that of course, quite the opposite in fact but he is no politician and would be wise to keep his opinions to himself.

That's a strange attitude.

I'm assuming you would rather listen to the political opinions of opionated, narcissistic career politicians who have entered in to politics straight from Uni , fully indoctrinated with no life experience at all.

Mr Martin , on the other hand, has not only lived a very full and interesting life but has started, developed and successfully ran an extremely successful national business .

He has far more to offer in the political sphere than many, many of our inept and arrogant political class

Btw, still to visit a Scottish Borders W/spoons, despite living here for a few years now. Probably Never will.

(This post was edited by Yatesman on Mar 1, 2019, 7:23 PM)

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 1, 2019, 7:37 PM

Post #4480 of 4509 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or

Martin is an odious individual who appears to only want pro brexit employees to work for him

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/anti-brexit-wetherspoon-staff-crusade-against-chain-bosss-propaganda-8402554/

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Yatesman
First Team Sub

Mar 1, 2019, 9:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #4481 of 4509 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Martin is an odious individual who appears to only want pro brexit employees to work for him

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/anti-brexit-wetherspoon-staff-crusade-against-chain-bosss-propaganda-8402554/

Odious means 'Unequivocably detestable'

The Slave Trade was Odious

Apatheid was odious

Nazism was odious

I'm not sure you fully understood the extremity of the word odious as I'm sure you have used it entirely out of context.

Tim Martin might not be your cup of tea, but odious?

The bloke is a very successful businessman in a very difficult industry. It's his company just as your local builder or plumber or butcher is the owner and proprietor of his/her business so is Mr Martin.

As such he deserves the right to employ whomever he deems worthy and whomever he feels fits the company ethos subject to current employment laws.

Maybe you have never ran your own business or employed folk.

I have!

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 2, 2019, 4:56 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #4482 of 4509 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the OED online, odious means "extremely unpleasant, repulsive". No doubt Brexiters could identify some leading Remainers as meeting that definition and vice versa.

Personally the sort of adjectives I'd apply to Nazism/apartheid/slavery are the likes of vile and evil. Not just odious.

However, I'm currently feeling pretty mellow towards Tim Martin following an evening at "The Benjamin Huntsman" in Sheffield the other day. Coincidentally, I was catching up with a mate who is a staunch Brexiter. Fortunately, whilst I find his admiration of Mrs May and Bojo and co inexplicable and he finds my views equally strange, the current mess provided us with much to ruefully laugh about. And despair about.

And to be fair to Mr Martin his Wetherspoons was a very pleasant, friendly venue with an all too drinkable "Nightmare" 5% proof porter at £2.15 a pint and drinkable coffees with free refills.

His pubs seem ok even if his politics are duff Cool

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 2, 2019, 9:10 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4483 of 4509 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a reminder - this is a thread about a pub chain. If you want to discuss Brexit then there is already a thread for that
The opinions and actions of the chairman of Wetherspoons should go on the Brexit thread

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 2, 2019, 8:33 PM

Post #4484 of 4509 (1741 views)
Shortcut

Separate the pubs from the Brexit debate?

Good luck with that one Leo.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/...etherspoon-manifesto

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...ons-because-15705554

https://inews.co.uk/...tour-no-deal-brexit/

https://inews.co.uk/...ropaganda-beer-mats/

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 3, 2019, 1:13 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4485 of 4509 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Back on track and another poor spoons down south is The Michael Balcon in Ealing. Has to be one of the smallest I have done and the service was awful. Fosters at £3.35 compared to the £1.90 I payed in Coalville yesterday Laugh

rambler77
First Team Star

Mar 3, 2019, 2:24 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #4486 of 4509 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Went in two yesterday - The Britannia (Blackheath) and The William Shenstone (Halesowen).

No problem with either of them - staff friendly and polite and the establishments clean.

They were better than two others in the Black Country I visited a couple of weeks ago - The Billard Hall (West Bromwich) and The Court of Requests (Oldbury).

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

buncranaboy

Mar 4, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4487 of 4509 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And drove past gems like the Waggon & Horses, among many notable establishments, to get from one Spoons to another?
Sheesh.....

rambler77
First Team Star

Mar 5, 2019, 7:06 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #4488 of 4509 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I do not often drink when I am driving, especially so after coming off a night shift.

Often on a Saturday it is a case of getting up, sorting myself out and straight out the door.

I was using them to get something to eat and a decent cup of coffee at a sensible price.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Whiskey Coates
Reserve Team Star

Mar 6, 2019, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #4489 of 4509 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a forewarning on the off chance anyone's planning a Queensgate/'Spoons double, the Prior John in Bridlington will be closing soon for approximately 8 weeks due to expansion and refurbishment. The work is due to start in the next couple of months.

https://www.bridlingtonfreepress.co.uk/news/1-6million-expansion-of-wetherspoons-pub-in-bridlington-to-start-soon-1-9624010

I think I posted this last year, but the work was delayed due to objections.

Yatesman
First Team Sub

Mar 9, 2019, 1:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #4490 of 4509 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just a forewarning on the off chance anyone's planning a Queensgate/'Spoons double, the Prior John in Bridlington will be closing soon for approximately 8 weeks due to expansion and refurbishment. The work is due to start in the next couple of months.

https://www.bridlingtonfreepress.co.uk/news/1-6million-expansion-of-wetherspoons-pub-in-bridlington-to-start-soon-1-9624010

I think I posted this last year, but the work was delayed due to objections.

It was announced this week The Bourtree in Hawick is set to close

There has been problems with the building and 'smells' that were hard to eradicate , apparantly

Very popular pub in Hawick . A bitter blow for a town that's been on it's knees for decades.

Conversely, W/spoons are due to spend around £750,000 on their premises in nearby ( 18miles) Galashiels

(This post was edited by Yatesman on Mar 9, 2019, 1:31 PM)

Whiskey Coates
Reserve Team Star

Mar 9, 2019, 2:16 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #4491 of 4509 (1219 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It was announced this week The Bourtree in Hawick is set to close

There has been problems with the building and 'smells' that were hard to eradicate , apparantly

Very popular pub in Hawick . A bitter blow for a town that's been on it's knees for decades.

Conversely, W/spoons are due to spend around £750,000 on their premises in nearby ( 18miles) Galashiels

The Time Piece in Dewsbury has been put up for sale and is due to close. One of six UK Wetherspoons to be placed in the market this year apparently.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Mar 14, 2019, 7:48 PM

Post #4492 of 4509 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Wednesday I had the unfortunate experience of having to visit the John Wallace in Newport [Wales]; it was not my choice. I had one of their new items on the menu, a Brie & Bacon Panini. It was under cooked, over priced and the bacon was so poor that I left most of it.

My colleague, who had made the decision to eat there, had an all day breakfast, which they described as disgusting. The eggs arrived broken, the baked beans were cold and tasteless, and the sausages were described as tasting foul.

This was my first visit to a Wetherspoons since 2017 and at home I can get much better food for less in my local Italian Deli bar.

It also wasn't helped by on Wednesday by a bar load of people who had consumed a large amount of alcohol and were watching the Cheltenham festival on the tvs. The language was foul and the shouting during the racing was unbearable.

Finally, the service at the bar was terrible; having queued for 10 minutes, the barmaid said that she was going and that we had to join the end of another lengthy queue at the other end of bar, with a barmaid who constantly drew her hand under a dripping nose. Snot what I wanted.

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 15, 2019, 11:16 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4493 of 4509 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] wetherspoon pubs [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meanwhile

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47581483

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 15, 2019, 12:55 PM

Post #4494 of 4509 (1028 views)
Shortcut

I recently had the misforutune to have lunch in two Wetherspoons (neither my choice but that of the group I was with). One in Islington, the other in Newquay. The prices of exactly the same meals were £2 more in Cornwall than in Central London!

Yatesman
First Team Sub

Mar 15, 2019, 6:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #4495 of 4509 (936 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

That's interesting , especially as sales are up, but why have the BBC reported this?? There are thousands of companies in this country and the BBC doesn't report the ongoing accounting history of each of those.

Also why have the referred to Tim Matrin as ' Brexit Supporting ' ?

That worries me more.

Are we supposed to be smugly satisfied that profits of the Brexit supporter have fallen?

Your mind has been infiltrated !

kirby knitters

Mar 19, 2019, 1:16 PM

Post #4496 of 4509 (799 views)
Shortcut

The Last Plantagenet in Leicester is another one that is closing down. Frown

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 3:15 PM

Post #4497 of 4509 (767 views)
Shortcut

There are thousands of companies in this country and the BBC doesn't report the ongoing accounting history of each of those.

Seriously? You don't think the BBC reports on other companies' finances? Just glancing at the business page now (Tue pm) there are stories about Ocado sales being hit by a warehouse fire, Bonmarché shares being down on a profits warning and a piece on worries around Metro Bank. I work for a global company and our profits are commented on every quarter.

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 19, 2019, 5:12 PM

Post #4498 of 4509 (725 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Also why have the referred to Tim Matrin as ' Brexit Supporting ' ?

That worries me more.

Are we supposed to be smugly satisfied that profits of the Brexit supporter have fallen?

Your mind has been infiltrated !

Given his very regular high profile interviews and appearances on programmes such as Question Time as "Wetherspoons Owner Tim Martin" it would be odd if a story featuring him didn't mention his Brexiter role. He hardly keep his pubs and his Brexit campaigning separate. Cool

I don't think there's any sinister BBC smirking over problems at the pub chain. What is unusual is any pub chain that has thrived over recent years. Naturally there's interest when the chain that has bucked the national trend seems to hit problems.

kirby knitters

Mar 19, 2019, 8:45 PM

Post #4499 of 4509 (680 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The Baron in Hinckley will be no more after next September with the lease running out. The place is a right earner so hopefully another establishment will be found in this beautiful historial Leics town.Cool

Building being taken over by the Elmesthorpe Brewing Company. Name is staying the same but I certainly will not be venturing in.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 20, 2019, 4:44 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4500 of 4509 (628 views)
Shortcut

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but the Wetherspoons The Crown & Sceptre on Streatham Hill in south London closed on Sunday 24th February.

The Crown & Sceptre was famous for being mentioned in The Clash song 'Stay Free' from the 1978 album 'Give 'Em Enough Rope'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuYzsrYSQx4

"And weekends we'd go dancing,
Down Streatham on the bus,
I practiced daily in my room,
You were down The Crown planning your next move.
An' if you're in The Crown tonight,
Have a drink on me."

First page Previous page 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3