Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 30 March 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Mar 30, 2019, 5:35 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 83 (12839 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 30 March 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich Town 0 Hull City 2
Championship
Portman Road

Admission: Season ticket
Programme: £3
Attendance: 15720

Fat lady is certainly singing now, worst display since Lambert arrived.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

leohoenig
Administrator

Mar 30, 2019, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 83 (12741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Beijing Renhe 0-1 Beijing Guo'an
Chinese Super League @ Fengtai Stadium
Admission 150 Yuan (About £17), attendance 22376

Tickets went on sale about a week before the game. I asked my wife to help with the Chinese part of the web site, but she struggled with the site and decided to call a friend for tickets.

When four days later, he said he could not get them - because it was an away game for Gou'an, and this friend could only get us into Gou'an games for free, I again tried to get through the web site and again we ended up calling on a different friend.

After much confusion, I eventually discovered he had managed to secure three tickets from two different sources. Both sets were free of charge, although showing 150 Yuan as face value. I said I thought the west side of the ground would be better, and our friend sold the spares outside the ground at 50 Yuan each.

As so many tickets get out from the clubs without charge, it is apparently rare in China to not be able to buy from a tout outside the ground, and equally rare if you have to go as high as face value.

The ground is easily enough reachable from the city centre, as it is close to a metro station. It is a large bowl with running track and a single tier of seats all around. This tier is quite small behind the goals and gains height on each side. On the west side, there the number of rows is far greater than those opposite. A small amount of cover protects only the back rows of the stand and had it been a wet day, the majority in the ground would have felt it.

In fact, it was bright and sunny, but still cold and with a stiff wind blowing from the north. On the west side, we seemed relatively protected, but opposite, we would have had the sun in our faces, and yet the wind chill may still have made us colder.

The talk this season in China is of naturalised players. A few clubs have signed players with Chinese ancestry, and who agreed to take up Chinese citizenship (and hence become eligible for the National team). Beijing Gou'an were one of the clubs taking advantage of the idea with two signings, Hou Souter from Norwegian club Stabaek, (not listed as Hou Yongyong) and Nico Yennaris from Brentford (now to be known as Li Ke Yennaris). By playing in the pre-season Super Cup, Souter was the first naturalised player to play in China. Yennaris has also had a spell with Wycombe Wanderers and played on my last visit there. Yennaris is a product of the modern world, with a Chinese mother, a Cypriot father, he was born in England and has played for England's age group teams. Souter has played for Norwegian youth teams

Shanghai Shenhua then got in the act by naturalising Alexander N'Doumbou. N'Doumbou (now to be known as Qian Jiehei) came from the Bulgarian league with previous experience in the lower divisions in Belgium and France, but notably he has also played three internationals for Gabon. This means he cannot represent China at international level.

So they day before the league season was to start, the Chinese FA did not make an official announcement that no naturalised players would be allowed to play in the first two rounds. This is enough to bring out complaints on (Chinese) social media from supporters, but the clubs meekly obey the rule.

Not suprisingly, none of the naturalised players were included in the Chinese international squad, (although one assumes they will be considered in June, to give a run out before World Cup qualification starts in the autumn).

Again without announcement, it became clear this week that the naturalised players were now eligible. Gou'an decided not to include Souter for the derby match, but gave a debut to Yennaris.

The ground was about two thirds full, with sections left empty for no specific reason considering that many areas of the ground were mixed home and away fans. The visiting fans were easily in the majority. There is a fair amount of singing all around, with the biggest concentration of Guo'an fans (and therefore of noise) in the south west area. In such an open bowl, the noise is soon lost. I did not notice what they were singing at first, but my boy pointed out the chants included some "rude words".

The home team played in 4-4-2 with the Senegalese player Makhete Diop leading the forward line. Sone Aluko (on loan from Reading) started as the other forward but for most of the time he dropped back and the youngster, Cao Yongjing played in a forward position. Their third foreigner was Argentine international Augusto Fernandez, signed last year from Atletico Madrid.

Having been more of a 4-3-3 against Urawa when I saw them in the Champions League, Guo'an were to play 4-4-2 in this game with no place for Bakambu, who had done so much to keep the previous game 0-0 (not much praise when we are talking of a forward). In his place, the captain, Yu Dubao switched from the centre of defence to partner Zhang Yuning up front. Zhang is best known for not playing for West Brom, but has had a good spell in Netherlands football. He still makes it into the team as an u-23 player this season as well.

Jonathan Viera and Renato Augusto were the wide players and the key to most of the visitors attacks, Viera easily being the most impressive player on view. Yennaris took up a defensive midfield position (last time I saw him play, he was at right back), while Kim min-jae reprised the role he had taken against Urawa in the back line.

Guo'an had won their first two games without conceding, Renhe had lost two, without scoring. I was therefore expecting 0-0.

Guo'an soon started to dominate predeedings, but could find few openings against a packed defence. Shortly before the break Viera made a foray into the area and was brought down as he turned, Yu Dabao was charged with taking the penalty and tamely played it to the home keeper. He made amends just after the hour mark with a powerful header from a Li Lei cross to put Guo'an ahead.

Renhe responded by immediately bringing Zhu Baojie into the fray. He replaced Cao, which basically changed the formation to 4-5-1. Zhu looked like a flair player, but very slight and easily knocked off the ball. I took him for a youngster who might have a future if he could gain some strength as he progressed. Then when I looked him up, I found out he was 29 years old.

in fact, Renhe started with two U-23 players in the team, meaning they only needed to play one more from the bench to make quota. This was their final subsitution, and in the 77th minute. Guo'an had made only one chane by this time, taking off the tiring Zhang Yuning (and therefore also going 4-5-1). As Yuning was the only U-23 player in the starting XI, (and rules state there must be at least one), then the substitute policy is very limiting. Instead of bringing on a player who might have threatened to increase the lead, they had to play two youngsters, who came on after 84 and 89 minutes. They therefore spent the end of the game defending a lead against a poor attacking force as they no longer had the players on the field to make their own attack

I'll post this again on facebook and blog tomorrow with pictures

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Mar 31, 2019, 6:33 AM)

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Mar 30, 2019, 6:08 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #3 of 83 (12728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at Portman Rd. KO 3.00pm.

Sky Bet Championship.

IPSWICH TOWN 0 (0) v (1) HULL CITY 2

Scorers.

Home. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Away. K Grosicki (14 & 49)

Admission by season ticket. Programme £3. Attendance 15,720. Away Fans 485.

We are going on a League 1 tour.

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 6:12 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #4 of 83 (12713 views)
Shortcut

Evo-Stik Southern Division One South
infiLED Arena
Melksham Town 0 AFC Totton 3
Admission: S/T Paper available Attendance: 404

The manager Kieran Baggs resigned and plastered his "case" for doing do so all over social media on Friday afternoon. Of a senior squad of 18 players, 11 followed suit on Friday evening and 4 more this morning. He was, at best, a marmite character (not a favourite of mine), but he got us out of the Western and seemed to be able to get players in. He had his own 'fan army' who wailed and gnashed their teeth on Twitter and Facebook, blaming the club for a lack of ambition and saying they were going to boycott games. Idiots.
I know there is more than just the ex-manager's side of the story (there always is) and it will come out in good time. However when I turned up today, we had 3 senior pro's and had cobbled together 7 U-18/Reserve players and no subs to play a big, experienced Step 4 side.
That we finished 0-3 was a testament to the effort the side put in. The home crowd were amazing and totally behind the team and the club. The score was irrelevant to an extent; we were never going to win. We have an immediate problem in that we cannot sign anyone because we are outside the transfer slot and I think we are going to approach the FA to see if we can register our U-18's, Reserves and A team players just to fulfil the season.
A standing ovation for the mighty 10 at the end and fully deserved. Interesting times for the remaining season. Oh, and of the 'quitters' on-line, a few turned up...and looked a bit sheepish.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Mar 30, 2019, 6:13 PM)

Cannary
Junior Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 6:31 PM

Team(s): Norwich City

Post #5 of 83 (12621 views)
Shortcut

Mattishall 6 Wymondham Town 2
Anglian Combination Premier Division.

Admission £2 (inc club-produced 24-page programme), attendance 35-ish

Due to the domestic arrangements of sorting out something for the 11yo daughter to do, my original idea of the battle for second place between Caister and Long Stratton fell by the wayside. Instead I went for the closer option of the effective fight for sixth spot.
Never been to Mattishall before, and the ground is in a nice rural setting on the southern edge of the village - if the game was ever dull you could watch ducks flying overhead! Wedged in behind the cricket club, it's basically a roped-off pitch plus dug-outs and the sort of old covered standing area still seen at the likes of Cromer.
After the home side went ahead, the match turned on a head injury to the Wymondham goalkeeper, sustained in making a brilliant save. After a lengthy stoppage, he was bandaged up and play restarted, but soon after the home side's Huckle got the first of his four goals with a free header at a corner he came off, to be replaced by an outfield player.
You wondered if that might open the floodgates, but Wymondham refused to buckle and instead pulled one back five minutes from the break.
However, the second half was a different story, and goals after 53, 60, 67 and 71 put Mattishall out of sight, before Wymondham grabbed a consolation with 13 minutes to play.
An entertaining game in a very nice setting - a venue for the groundhop organisers to definitely bear in mind for next season.

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Regular

Mar 30, 2019, 6:34 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #6 of 83 (12601 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Division 1

Barmouth & Dyffryn United 6 St Asaph City 1

Wern Mynach, Bermo

Admission - £3 Programme - £1.50 Attendance - 75

Having won only 3 of their 24 league fixtures to date, few would have predicted this score line against mid-table opposition for the home side.

On a beautiful spring day and on a snooker table of a pitch. Barmouth raced into a three goal half time lead and continued the onslaught throughout the second half. Star performer on the day was undoubtedly Shane Jones, the home centre forward who scored 5 of the 6 home goals and could well have had a double hat-trick had he dispatched a further 1 on 1 with the away 'keeper.

The result means that Barmouth cannot now finish bottom of the league with nobody yet sure whether two teams will be relegated with the forthcoming Welsh FA re-structuring as well as other promotion and relegation issues in leagues both above and below.

There is still a mathematical possibility that Barmouth could escape the bottom 2 anyway, but this would mean Barmouth winning their last three games and Llandyrnog United not getting anymore than 1 point from their final two fixtures. This scenario is made all the more unlikely as Barmouth have two homes left, against Bodedern and Llangefni Town, who, alongside Llandudno Albion are the three in contention for the league title. Am sure that stranger things have happened though....

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 30, 2019, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #7 of 83 (12547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gwent County League Division 2
New Inn 0 Rhymney 1
No admission or programme, attendance h/c 21

After two weeks without football due to a bout of shingles, I managed to drag my scabby frame around the corner to the local park for this mid-table clash. Fresh air and sunshine was the main requirement for the afternoon, but it wasn't a bad match too, won by the visitors with a looping header over the home custodian who had strayed off his line. That was after seven minutes, and though they hit the bar late in the second half they couldn't extend their lead in a match that their more muscular approach dominated.

No changes at Woodfield Road since last time I was there, indeed in the last decade! Still, it's a pleasant enough setting on a sunny afternoon, tree-lined on the one side, and as it's set in the middle of the village, surrounded by houses elsewhere.

Home in time for final score!

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 6:55 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #8 of 83 (12532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League

Eastleigh 3 Hartlepool U. 2

admission £15/£12 programme £1 attendance est 1863
7th v 12th
An important win for the hosts who shaded it in an entertaining game (just like this fixture last season). All home goals were from set-pieces, which won't have pleased Pools manager Craig Hignett.
An explosive start with three goals in the first 14 mins. The Spitfires took the lead on only 1:20 when Yeates deliberately placed a corner to the edge of the area where Williamson sidefooted into the corner of the net - straight off the training ground. Another corner saw the equaliser four mins later as the ball was cleared to James, his shot hot the post and Kitching bundled the ball into the net. Home keeper Southwood then struggled with a Noble shot and the ball was cleared. The home team retook the lead on 14 mins as a free-kick was headed back for Wynter to toe-poke the ball in. The visitors nearly equalised as a great ball by Noble saw Molyneux bring the ball down but Southwood made a good save from short range. At the other end a corner was recycled by Yeates and Hare met if perfectly, heading the ball down only for Loach to make a brilliant stop. Southwood then had to make another good save, from Kabamba, and had to push Donaldson's shot wide too as the visitors looked for an equaliser. Donaldson and Kabamba then came close again, the latter also forcing another good save by Southwood, turning his shot round the post. James also had a deflected shot wide but it remained HT 2-1 after a superb first half.
Soon after the restart Eastleigh scored again from a corner - Loach saved the first shot but home debutant Hobson cleaned up. Soon after a great ball from Yeates put Williamson clear but Loach got something on his shot and it came back off the post. The same two players then combined well again but Yeates' shot went wide. Yeates went close again but it was the visitors who pulled a goal back on 70 mins, an inch-perfect cross from Noble finding Kabamba one-on-one beyond the far post and his looping header ended up in the net. The home team then had a reasonable-looking goal by Boyce disallowed as Hare's shot rebounded to him. This led to a nervous last 15 mins as the visitors had more of the play, but weren't quite as incisive as in the first half, so, after a few hairy moments, the home side came through. They had the best chance near the end when sub Zebroski was put through but Loach saved.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Mar 30, 2019, 6:55 PM)

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

Mar 30, 2019, 7:05 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #9 of 83 (12450 views)
Shortcut

HEREFORDSHIRE PREMIER LEAGUE
Kingstone Rovers 2 - 5 Clee Hill United
@ Seven Site, Kingstone
att: 40 HT 0-3

First game for me for a couple of months off football and a dismal one to return to. Nice hike from Hereford saw me arrive moments after the champions-in-waiting took the lead through a penaty.

Kingstone are a team of hatchet men captained by a thug, whilst Clee Hill try and play football. They're no angels either but a very soft ref (some of Kingstone's players should have been sent off twice, they received 1 yellow card sum total) meant that all they could at times was kick back to salvage some dignity.

The scoreline reads closer than it should have been. Clee Hill mullered a lazy and basic Kingstone team. I hated this game and wondered what I was doing there. The goals mean little when everything else is just torporific and haphazard. Lack of control by the ref just turns the game into a farce.

Kingstone got back into it in the second half but they were never at the races. Clee Hill have one hand on the league title.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 30, 2019, 7:13 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #10 of 83 (12386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland & Notts Alliance League, Senior Challenge Cup QF

Quarrydale United 3 {40' 100' 120'}
Beeston Old Boys Association 1 {37' pen.}
after extra time

@ the old Bentinck Colliery/Miners Welfare sports ground, Kirkby-in-Ashfield.

Quarrydale United moved here in mid-2013 apparently, and apart from Bentinck Welfare's 4 seasons in the Central Alliance during the early Fifties, I've absolutely no idea who else - clubs or leagues - that have used this ground in the intervening decades!

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

Cleeve
Youth Team Regular

Mar 30, 2019, 7:14 PM

Post #11 of 83 (12370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Herts and Borders Churches League - Division 1
Ruislip Baptist Church v Kings Sports Seconds 3-0 (ht 2-0)
Venue: Taylor's Meadow, Hill End Road, Harefield; kickoff 1030hrs
Entry: Free, no programme
Attendance: 5

The entrance to Taylor's Meadow is signposted as "Harefield Hospital Bowling Club" and looks as if it should lead to a car park. It doesn't, so everyone has to park on Hill End Road. All the onsite buildings were locked, and our game was played on the most north easterly of three pitches. No football furniture or facilities for spectators.

A routine win for Ruislip which keeps them in contention for the title, while Kings' lack of good chances up front shows why they are in the lower half of the table

Oving Villages Cup - Semi-final
Long Crendon v Wing Village 1-1 aet, 9-8 pens (ft 1-1, ht 1-0)
Venue: Long Crendon Recreation Ground, Chearsley Road, Long Crendon; kickoff 1400hrs
Entry: Free, no programme
Attendance: 28 (plus thousands of bees flying around the park at ground level)

There is a very small car park at the Rec so it was on-street parking again for me, and a five minute stroll to the GBG-listed Eight Bells. The Rec has one pitch that was roped off on three sides for the day, and a pavillion with changing rooms and toilets. However, at half time, I noticed spectators adjourning to the adjacent Village Centre (on the southern edge of the Rec) which houses the Long Crendon Community Social Club and a bar that had hand-pulled beer from the local XT brewery as well as hot drinks.

This cup was first competed for in 1890, so it is one of the oldest competitions in existence, and we had three officials to give it further credence. Additionally, it allowed me to see LCFC play at their true home ground rather than at Oxford City. Long Crendon should have wrapped up this tie by halftime, but failing to convert their many chances meant we finished at 1645hrs with the 21st penalty of the shoot out.

This tie pitched Hellenic Div 2 East (step 7) against North Bucks Intermediate Division (step 9), but due to the competition rules (players have to be born in the village or signed with the club for three years) Long Crendon's team was a mixture of first and second teamers. This didn't prevent the first half being one way traffic providing the Wing keeper with plenty of shot-stopping practice. The second half continued in the same vein, but with Long Crendon unable to extend their single goal lead the inevitable happened with ten minutes to go. Having been restricted to a few off-target long range shots all afternoon, Wing finally found their number ten in space and able to poke the ball past the home keeper. The home team continued to fail to convert their dominance into more goals and we ended up with extra time and then penalties. Four all after ten penalties took to us to sudden death and Wing's number 8 was the first to miss the target and give us the result that should have happened an hour earlier.

stingray
First Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 7:45 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #12 of 83 (12170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cleeve] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Division 1
MILTON KEYNES ROBINS 0-1 HILLINGDON BOROUGH
Admission & "programme" £4.00 Tea £1.00 Coke £1.00
Attendance 51 (about right)

The club formerly known as Buckingham Town have not only had to vacate their ground and embark on semi-permanent exile with the resulting and understandable name change, they seem to have ditched their former colours for a yellow/blue/white ensemble. My only previous third-party game involving them was on the 27th February 2008 which had to be played at Buckingham Athletic due to the theft of the copper piping from Ford Meadow and my only previous visits to Ford Meadow were to see Leighton Town play in the Bucks Charity Cup.

The attendance appeared to be comprised of just some random people who wandered in off the street as although a fair bit of attention was paid, they preferred to chat amongst themselves. As for the programme - well I'm sorry but this was a complete abomination. Two folded sheets of A4 with a colour cover, the line-ups across the middle and... that was it. No editorial, no fixtures, results or League table. Still it was free with the relatively low admission charge.

The MK Centre is a bit of an odd venue. I remember doing a car boot sale here years ago on what is now the pitch and they are still being advertised although obviously elsewhere in the complex now. Only two and a half sides of the ground are open as work continues on the far end. There's a food/drink hatch but this was closed so no hot food today (not that I need it on a Saturday) and although tea and coffee can be purchased from the spacious upstairs bar, the barman had to go downstairs to get it (presumably from the room that was being set up for an evening function).

On the pitch, there was little to stir the emotions. Hillingdon (who appeared not to have any subs) fluffed a golden chance to take the lead and it seemed clear that end-of-season lethargy was beginning to creep in. Eventually the deadlock was broken in the dying seconds and the reaction of the MKR players told you all you needed to know.

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Mar 30, 2019, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #13 of 83 (12093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cleeve] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leicester & District, Premier Division. KO 14:00. (F&N). Crowd 12.

Fleckney United 2 v 0 St. Patricks

According to the referee, the pitch currently in use was only put in place about 2 years ago. It's over 100 yards from the changing rooms but appears to have good drainage and is very flat. Nice rural setting with good views and a grass bank along one side and at one end. No football furniture.

The game was frankly awful, given that the home side are in contention for the title and the visitors not safe from relegation, you would have thought there would have been a lot more effort. Goalless at half time, the second period continued in the same vein , with a 0-0 looking inevitable until Fleckney scrambled the ball over the line on 84 minutes. The second was an own goal by the keeper who pushed the ball into his own net.

Spent the match with Bill Berry who had suggested this match and who is on a long run without a 0-0 and celebrated like tram when the first goal went in!

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 8:08 PM

Post #14 of 83 (11978 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 30 March 2019
Evostik East
Lincoln United 1 Gresley FC 0
Admission £9
Attendance 105
Programme £1 and free team sheet
Badge £3.50
Coffee £1
Steak Pie £2.50

My original plan was to do a couple of games on the groundhop but it was a bit tricky due to work tomorrow so a trawl through fixtures was done and train and bus times fit well for me to complete Lincoln after seeing City and Moorlands.

An approx 20 mins bus ride from the new bus station and a 3 minute walk got me to Lincoln United. You walk around the perimeter of a cricket pitch before entering the turnstiles .
It's a very neat little ground with a seated stand and a couple of covered terraced stands.
Also there is a little club shop with badges a few Lincoln programmes and a few books also a canteen serving rather nice pies.

Unfortunately the crowd was very sparse maybe the sun and Lincoln City at home reduced it.

Sadly it was a very scrappy game with neither team able to gain control until Lincoln scored a free kick midway through the second half and hung on despite surviving a couple of late scares.
Lincoln had lost the last 4 matches so were relieved to win.

New Grounds 2019/20 :28
Total Games :38
Total Goals : 113
Av Goals Per Game : 2.95
Last new Ground: 27/11/19 Dover Athletic 3 Maidenhead United 4
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1008 Rainham

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 30, 2019, 8:12 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #15 of 83 (11958 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Abbey Hulton United 2 Wythenshawe Amateurs 2 (HT 1-2)
North West Counties League, Division One, South (step six, 3pm kick-off)
Admission £5
Programme £1 (20pp, poor)
Attendance 91 (per league website)
Tea (in a card mug) £1

Assuming both clubs (eighth and fourth at kick-off) still have designs on finishing at least second, this outcome helped neither. A fair result, though, after Wythenshawe dominated the first half of a scrappy encounter and Abbey Hulton the second. The visitors almost stole victory in stoppage time but fluffed a great chance. Angelo Errico capitalised on being allowed ample time and space to shoot Abbey Hulton into an eighth-minute lead. Rory Fallon (17mins) levelled when his cross from the right evaded everyone and ended up in the net. Ammies striker Jordan Burton (21mins) then scored the goal of the game, smashing in a dipping 25-yarder moments after a home defender had diverted a shot onto a post. Abbey Hulton's abundant second half pressure finally told in the 82nd minute when Lee Cropper netted from close range after the goalkeeper fumbled a low, powerful free-kick from the right.

Can't say I was overly impressed with Drayton Beaumont Park, Abbey Hulton's two-sided ground. I know the standard of entrants to the North West Counties League has been slipping steadily for thirty years, but is this sort of facility now deemed suitable? The west side and the north end - neither of which has hardstanding - are off limits to spectators. Particularly irritating this spring-like afternoon because one was obliged to squint into the sun for 90 minutes. There are two all-seat kit stands on the east side, with hardstanding here and at the south end, beyond which is the clubhouse and dressing rooms. The pitch looked decent. Friendly, enthusiastic club officials. Took advantage of the 18-mile Caldon Canal's proximity - linking Etruria and Froghall, it parallels the ground's west side (a potentially life-endangering grass bank) - to take a pleasant towpath walk before kick-off. Enjoyed the scenic drive to the Potteries via Woodhead, Glossop, Buxton and Leek. Traffic unusually - and annoyingly - heavy in and and around Buxton. I assume the Mothers' Day weekend entertainment brigade was out in force.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Mar 30, 2019, 8:16 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 30, 2019, 8:29 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #16 of 83 (11798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Premier League Premier Division
Workington 2-4 Nantwich Town

Entry: £11
Attendance: 476

Borough Park is as lovely a football ground as everyone told me, with a mass of concrete banks of terracing on all sides and several stretches of old corrugated iron roofing. Iím so glad I got there in time, and hope that any other hoppers heading here for the first time before the end of the season enjoy their visit as much as I have. There simply are not enough of this type of football ground left these days, and itíll be a sad day when this one goes.

I also hope that Workington can pick up some more points before the end of the season. The chances were there today, but they were sloppy in defence - gifting the Dabbers two penalties on top of a stoppage-time howler from the goalkeeper.

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 8:39 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #17 of 83 (11721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Division 1 Central
Aylesbury 0 Yaxley 1

Admission: Free (away club guest), Programme: Free (a small 4-pager available to supplement the online programme)
Attendance: 107 (official)

After a late kick-off (the match didn't start until 3:06pm, for whatever reason), we made the better start, almost immediately going on the attack and putting Aylesbury under significant pressure. After 11 minutes, this paid off; Dan Cotton ran down the left wing and floated a cross into the box, which was headed towards Joe Butterworth who then volleyed into the bottom corner from outside the box. We almost doubled our lead roughly ten minutes later, Tom Waumsley nodding the ball into the box to Charley Sanders, who poked just wide from close range under significant defensive pressure.

We had another great chance in the 34th minute, a Cotton cross reaching the head of Waumsley but looping wide of the far post. In amidst all this, Aylesbury attempted to counter with route one tactics, but their only real chance came from a cross in the 20th minute, which Aaron Butcher had to stretch to punch clear. That aside, they struggled to break through our defensive three and create any clear-cut chances. 0-1 at half-time.

Aylesbury made a much better start to the second half and, in doing so, quickly pulled us down to their level: rather than playing the ball on the ground as we had done in the first half, we too started utilising route one tactics. While this turned much of the second half into a scrappy slug-fest, a couple of defensive mix-ups around the hour mark almost gifted the home side an equaliser: in both cases, there was confusion over whether Butcher was collecting the ball or not and the Aylesbury strikers almost capitalised, with last-ditch clearances required in both cases.

Apart from this, there was very little happening in the second half, partially due to the route one tactics but also due to several niggly fouls from both sides: this meant that the match barely flowed at all, so chances for both sides were largely limited to set-pieces, with neither side capitalising at all. For the last few minutes, we did our best to manage the game and did so in fairly comfortable fashion to secure the win.

Overall, this game was absolutely not a classic, but it was definitely a crucial result for us: it's another three points on the board, which for all intents and purposes secures our status at Step 4 for next season (it's not mathematically confirmed yet, but the 12-point gap over North Leigh is almost certainly enough with five games left). On top of that, we picked up another clean sheet, which is always a nice bonus to top things off with (especially with two young defenders in our back three today).

MOTM: Ross Watson (a dominant defensive performance, stopping dozens of attacks in their tracks, making crucial blocks and marshalling the younger defenders too)

The ground has a decent amount of character, but it honestly looks very tired and disorganised, which is unfortunate.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

RCD
Ballboy/girl

Mar 30, 2019, 8:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 83 (11670 views)
Shortcut

Harrogate Railway Athletic 1-5 Goole
Northern Counties East League Premier Division

Admission: £6
Attendance: 79

A desperately poor Railway side were clinically dispatched in this battle of the bottom two by an impressive Goole who simply wanted it more. I watched Goole in their unfortunate late defeat at Yorkshire Amateur on Tuesday and they certainly didnít look like a bottom of the table side on either occasion.

The Rail on the other hand have struggled to compete in this division for the last three years and it looks unlikely that there will be an escape for them this time round. They have five straight away games to end the season including trips to Worksop, Knaresborough and Staveley. Itís sad to see one of the friendliest clubs Iíve visited struggling so badly.

siramisp
Reserve Team Sub

Post #19 of 83 (11670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Armchair Libero] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
HEREFORDSHIRE PREMIER LEAGUE
Kingstone Rovers 2 - 5 Clee Hill United
@ Seven Site, Kingstone
att: 40 HT 0-3

First game for me for a couple of months off football and a dismal one to return to. Nice hike from Hereford saw me arrive moments after the champions-in-waiting took the lead through a penaty.

Kingstone are a team of hatchet men captained by a thug, whilst Clee Hill try and play football. They're no angels either but a very soft ref (some of Kingstone's players should have been sent off twice, they received 1 yellow card sum total) meant that all they could at times was kick back to salvage some dignity.

The scoreline reads closer than it should have been. Clee Hill mullered a lazy and basic Kingstone team. I hated this game and wondered what I was doing there. The goals mean little when everything else is just torporific and haphazard. Lack of control by the ref just turns the game into a farce.

Kingstone got back into it in the second half but they were never at the races. Clee Hill have one hand on the league title.

Interesting,

Kingstone got stuffed 11.0 by Westfields on Wednesday night and were bemoaning the referee on Twitter. Er you list 11.0 which suggests you were totally outplayed regardless of what the referee did!

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #20 of 83 (11670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wisbech St. Mary 2 Mulbarton United 2
Eastern Counties League Division 1 North
Admission £5 Programme online only - Free

The ground is at the end of a cul-de-sac of newish houses. The entrance is down one side where currently all the spectator facilities are situated, a seated stand placed at an angle between the corner flag and 18 yard line, and a covered standing section running from the half way line to the other corner flag. There is however, the frames of two other small stands in situ on the other side, with hard standing all round. Once inside, the ground has a rural feel, with fields behind both goals and another pitch on the far side. As for the game, the first half was evenly matched, if somewhat dull, with bottom of the table Wisbech taking the lead after 20 minutes and the visitors equalising from the penalty spot 10 minutes later. The hosts retook the lead 5 minutes from half time. The second half was much better, with the Cornard players obviously having received a half time rollicking, they came out with much more purpose in the second half. The hosts held out for 25 minutes before giving away another penalty which was also dispatched for the equaliser. Both sides then had chances to win the game in a nail biting finale. Wisbech remain bottom of the table, but did not look a bad side, and certainly must have played much better than the side that only a few weeks ago had lost 0-15 at home to Lakenheath.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 30, 2019, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #21 of 83 (11634 views)
Shortcut

Southern Premier Central.
Biggleswade Town 1 Barwell 1.
Adm £10.
Prog 2.
Att 166.
Carlsberg £3.50.

Went down with GTV for this one, we had it originally booked in for October 6th 2013 but United were liquidated in Birmingham the day before (we managed that one.!!)

No doubt most on here (well the travelling fraternity anyway) have done this place and although a bit sparse in the furniture department it is a decent venue with pitches outside, Biggleswade FC Res were playing The 61 FC Luton Res.

Barwell were very unfortunate not to take maximum points today even going behind in the last minute but squared it up with an OG deep into stoppage time and played the final 65 minutes with ten men after Henry Eze was red carded and both me and the driver didn't even realise he had gone!!!
Barwell manager was also sent to the stands but that we did see!

Decent visiting support today in a poor crowd and nice to catch up with a couple of people I had not seen in ages.

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Mar 30, 2019, 9:09 PM)

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 9:06 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #22 of 83 (11439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh League Division 1
Cambrian & Clydach Vale BGC 1 Penybont 2
Adm £2.50 (codger) Programme 50p Tea £1
My first dip into this League and I was rewarded with an entertaining match between second placed hosts and the runaway leaders. This deserved win for the visitors all but clinched the title and on this form I would not bet against the leaders keeping their unbeaten league record to the end of the campaign. Penybont knocked the ball about confidently and crisply on the 3G surface, taking a deserved lead on the half hour when Cullen Kinsella converted a cross from the right. And when substitute Luke Borrelli bagged a second late on it looked all over. But a couple of minutes later a handball gave Sam Jones the opportunity to reduce the arrears from the penalty spot and give the hosts the reward their effort deserved. The game had it's feisty moments and referee Teifion Cook didn't hesitate to show a batch of (warranted) yellow cards, including at least one for the use of foul language. Pity he was more lenient with the home management whose potty mouthed spats were the only downside to a very pleasant afternoon.
Some of you may have seen this venue featured in a recent issue of When Saturday Comes, and on a glorious day in the Rhondda it really did look a treat; three small stands and the village providing a back drop for some picturesque photos for my scrapbook. Pity there were no more than a hundred present. I gleaned from a local press bod that Penybont are quite poorly supported and it remains to be seen whether promotion to the Premier League, with all the extra stipulations the Welsh FA demand of their top flight clubs, works for or against them.

1dringMinstrel
Junior Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 9:07 PM

Post #23 of 83 (11433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 30th March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

New Milton Town 2 v 2 Alton
Sydenhams Wessex League Division One
Adm £5, Prog £1 , Att c 60

Lovely day in the sun on the south coast. Ample parking, good programme, smart clubhouse, welcoming people, even the tannoy played good music at a sensible volume. One large stand offering a good view and shelter if needed, all other sides were hard standing. A very well kept, Council-run facility. The two sides competed well without resorting to swearing, cheating, time-wasting or histrionics. Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable day.

stagpie
Junior Team Sub

Mar 30, 2019, 9:27 PM

Team(s): AFC Totton

Post #24 of 83 (11276 views)
Shortcut

Evo-Stik Southern Division One South
infiLED Arena
Melksham Town 0 AFC Totton 3

Was also at the infiLED Arena as an away fan. First time visit and was very impressed with the facilities on a gloriously warm spring afternoon. Was shocked to hear that the home side had only ten players available but they played their hearts out and battled throughout the 90 minutes. Don't want to comment on your internal issues but the Melksham officials and fans I spoke to were a great bunch and I wish you all the best for the rest of the season and beyond.

(This post was edited by stagpie on Mar 30, 2019, 9:30 PM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 30, 2019, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #25 of 83 (11230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stagpie] Saturday 30 March 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My dad drove to Aylsham today. Iíd previously visited Aylsham Wanderers ground in Feb 2013 where I saw my lowest ever crowd in Anglian Combination Div 1 match of 7. Today was my 2nd highest in same division. This new ground is out of town. We did have a brief drive into the town before the game.

Hadley & Ottaway Anglian Combination League Division 1
Aylsham 1 (72)
Mundford 1 (48 pen)
KO: 14:30 Att: 91 h/c Cost: Free Progs available. We were offered one for £2 but we didnít want one.

Venue: Youngs Park, Woodgate Way, Cawston Road, Aylsham
Nice set up. Fully railed with 2 floodlight poles each side. Near side has h/s path for most of the length with grass area including small patio area along with some picnic tables/chairs. Most of this side then has a brick building which houses the nice clubhouse. Behind in one corner down a slope is another way to the big car park. The other corner is wider & also behind clubhouse is a large playing field with hedge beyond & then fields. Other side has grass area. One corner has grass sloping down away from the pitch. The covered stand was so small we didnít see it to start with. I thought it would be bigger than this. It has 4 metal rows of terracing. Trees & bushes are then in front of a field. Behind one goal is grass area sloping down. A strip of wasteland in front of new houses. Behind other goal going the other way is a 2nd pitch. Further grass before trees beyond.

Match: 3rd v 1st out of 16
Cloudy with some sun. Pleasant afternoon but glad I wore a coat. Brief bit of wind. A few spots of rain in Suffolk on way home.
MUND looked the better side but it was AYL who had the best effort on 6 mins with gk saving low down. AYL had some good moves going forward & saw a free kick go just wide on 42 mins. Earlier MUND had a couple of shots saved with the second one on 32 mins not stuck well enough. Shots 6-8.

H/t lasted under 10 mins. MUND converted a penalty which the gk got a touch to the ball. MUND were getting on top & on 70 mins shot just over. AYL got an equaliser with a hooked effort going over the gk. It was then their turn to have a good spell & had a chance on 77 mins saved with the shot struck too weak. Towards the end it was good to see both teams attacking & going for the win. The closest wasnít actually a shot when AYL had a corner which the gk at stretch pushed onto the bar. A good competitive game. Shots 6-8.

Before the game we spoke to the AYL chairman who was very friendly. They are hoping that with Sheringham getting promotion this will see a 3rd side getting promotion from Div 1. He acknowledged that any possible future promotions would need the ground fenced off. MUND & UEA have 57 pts with 5 games left each. AYL lie 3rd with 52 pts with 3 games left. On Tuesday AYL v UEA. In 4th spot Yelverton also have 52 pts but only 2 games left. 3 Bungay, Stalham & East Harling have 49 pts with 3 games left except Bungay with 4 left. Easton on 47 pts with 4 left to play also could snatch 3rd pot.

On the 2nd pitch ko also at 14:30 today was Aylsham ĎAí v Hickling in the North West Norfolk League Division 1 Section 1. After approx 10 mins the game was stopped due to a bad injury to AYL player. A few mins later the goalposts were moved & the game was abandoned. After 50 mins of our game the ambulance arrived. On 69 mins the air ambulance helicopter arrived & a couple of mins after our game ended the helicopter flew off along with injured player.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3