Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Tuesday 9th April 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Apr 9, 2019, 8:41 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 34 (7014 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 9th April 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pembrokeshire Division 2. KO 18:00. (F&N). Crowd 14.

Solva 2 v 6 Broad Haven

The Solva ground has a changing room block and clubhouse behind the goal. The pitch slopes quite dramatically from side to side, although the highest point is a ridge that runs the length of the pitch about a yard in from the touchline. Looking across from the top of the slope at the far goal, there are great views of the rugged coastline and waves breaking on the rocks at the foot of the cliffs.

Flying start from Solva, within seconds they had a shot on goal which the keeper rushed out to clear and he kicked it to another Solva player close to the halfway line who took a shot. The keeper rushed back to try to stop it but the ball hit the post, leaving the keeper wrong footed. He turned round to find a forward was the nearest player to the ball who gratefully volleyed it into the net. On 10 minutes the visitors were level, the shot going through the keeper. On 27 minutes the keeper fumbled another shot which presented a Broad Haven player with a tap in. Haven completed the half with a fine shot into the bottom corner for 1 - 3.

Goals continued to come at regular intervals with the visitors adding a 4th before a defensive error gave Solva brief hope with their second goal. Broad Haven added 2 more before one of their players managed to get himself sent off for fighting. 6 - 2 up with 15 seconds to play, what a wally!

Anoth great evening of entertaining football and a sunny day allowing me to see Cardigan, Fishguard and St. Davids for the first time in all their glory.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Apr 9, 2019, 10:43 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #2 of 34 (6799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bluntisham Rangers 1 AFC Barley Mow 6
Cambs League Senior Division B
at Bluntisham Recreation Ground, Mill Lane

A venture over the football FA borders this evening from my Cambridgeshire home into Huntingdonshire for this top of the table clash. Victory for Barley Mow would secure the title whilst a Bluntisham win would keep the contest open. A decent turn-out tonight, a crowd of 70 given on Tony Incenzo's twitter feed - seems about right to me. A fair few hoppers were here, including myself and my friend Paul who had travelled down from the Ely area. Bluntisham issued a neat 4-page prog, available free of charge on request. I think Bluntisham have issued in the past and tonight was the first time I have picked up a Cambs League prog for a couple of years - Linton Granta the last one I saw.
A very even first half, Bluntisham creating more but didn't seem to have the finishing touch. BM took the lead late in the first half - happened to be behind the BR goal when BM scored. A BM forward had the goal at his mercy but he completely miss-kicked his effort which in turn hit a Bluntisham defender and it deflected into the net. Barley Mow had the title in their sights after 45 mins.
2nd half wasn't as one-sided as the score suggests but the crucial difference was the clinical finishing from Barley Mow whereas Bluntisham fluffed some great chances.
A deserved victory for Barley Mow who step up to Senior A for next season.
Venue your typical village rec set-up but with a large Sports Centre/changing room facility on one-side where you could get a hot drink and a prog.
Decent entertainment and the light held out....just. Home by 8.30pm and hoping that those who travelled from further afield avoided the A14 closures currently in force.

Windy
First Team Sub

Apr 9, 2019, 10:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 34 (6799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League - Gateshead 0 AFC Fylde 1 - Admission £15 - Programme £2.50 - Attendance 470

Another trip up to the north east where they were several options although this one was always on my radar when I booked the trip a few weeks back. There was also the Northumberland Cup final between North Shields and Morpeth at St James Park as well as matches at Blyth Spartans, Sunderland RCA and a League 1 game at the Stadium of Light

First visit for a match at the International Stadium, although I had looked in when up in Newcastle a couple of years back and as most will know, all of the crowd end up on one side of the pitch with the 32 visiting fans to the left of the home support.

Not too much to get excited about despite it being a crucial match for both sides with Gateshead on a bad run of form as well as their much publicised off the field issues, while for Fylde, they still have a very outside chance of getting automatic promotion, although they would need some crazy results to go in their favour.

One goal settled it and that arrived on the half hour and it was a cracker. Nick Haughton received the ball from the right and he advanced to 25 yards out before unleashing a dipping effort that flew into the top left corner. After that, Fylde got bodies behind the ball and protected their lead well, getting 7 or 8 behind the ball for a fair proportion of the match. Gateshead had one great chance from a corner which fell to Jon Mellish in the six yard box, but somehow, he got right under the ball and fired it high into the open stand behind the goal.

Unusually for a match in the National League, there was an appeal before the match for any youngsters to volunteer to be ball boys and girls for the evening - fortunately, a few came forward to help the match to be played without long gaps while retrieving balls.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 9, 2019, 11:32 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #4 of 34 (6544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

6.20pm (5 mins late)
Lancs & Cheshire Amateur League, Division A
Unicorn Athletic 1 Chadderton Cott 5 (att 10)

A rare tick by public transport after a day working in the office in Manchester City Centre. Smiths Field is an easy walk from Timperley Metrolink stop, and I was at the ground barely 30 minutes after leaving work.

It's a basic venue, as you'd expect in the fifth tier of the league, but it's not bad. There's a single senior pitch, and changing rooms are in a building painted in club colours.

Today was National Unicorn Day apparently, but it didn't help the hosts. They were 1-0 down after five minutes, 3-0 behind at half time, and trailed 5-0 before they got a consolation goal. Chadderton Cott are unbeaten in the league and were far superior. They should have scored more.

On my blog for anyone interested https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...chadderton-cott.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Apr 9, 2019, 11:43 PM

Post #5 of 34 (6477 views)
Shortcut

DEAL TOWN v Chatham. kick off: 1947 I.M.T. Result 0-1. Admission: £4 for geriatrics. Programme £1.50p (value for money). Attendance 135 h/c.

Exciting times at 'The Charles Ground' with this being the inaugural match under Deals brand new floodlights, eco friendly apparently. Guest of honour was one Arthur 'Tippy' Prior who scored the first hat trick under their old lights in 1964. Attendance was 1120, different times. Also an extra tea bar has appeared, though I don't quite know why they think they need two.

Chatham were good value for their win tonight in spite of having the worlds most obnoxious goalkeeper. The evening was enhanced by the dulcet Louise Sanders running the line.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2019, 12:11 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #6 of 34 (6362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dorset League Division 3
Donhead United 6-2 South Cheriton
Headcount 21 plus a few more watching from their cars to stay dry. F + N.

This Dorset League game between teams from Wiltshire and Somerset kicked off 15 minutes earlier than the advertised 6:30pm and missed seeing the visitors take a shock early lead. Hosts turned the game around in their favour with two goals in a five minute spell just before half time and when they added a third just after the break the game was seemingly over as a contest, but then a calamitous own goal gave the visitors a lifeline, a lob over the keeper was bouncing into a net with two defenders desperately scrambling back to clear off the line, one got to the ball but only succeeded in hitting the ball against his co defender and the clearance ricocheted in off his foot. The hosts reasserted themselves scoring three more goals in the last 20 minutes of a 40 minute half, the 6th goal a penalty which went through the keepers legs. Defeat keeps former Dorset Premier South Cheriton in a three way tie at the bottom on 15 points ahead of Corfe Castle Reserves on goal difference and Marnhull on goals scored but have now played a game more than both. Two go down. Donhead meanwhile go top with this win although they have played two games more than Wool United Reserves, who they host in a potential title decider on 11th May. Next two games both against Okeford United, away on Saturday and the return at home next Tuesday. Home is in neither of the Donhead villages but on the opposite side of the A30 in Charlton, just west of Ludwell. The Remembrance Field is shared with Gill Dons in the division above but the two teams play on different pitches. Donhead United use the pitch in front of the village hall which is worse for wear with bare patches, while Gill Dons' far better pitch, which I ticked last season, runs at a right angle beyond the far side.

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 7:12 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #7 of 34 (6047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bostik Isthmian One South Central
Walton Road
Molesey 3 Marlow 4
Admission: £10 Paper available Attendance: 45

I'd already decided on this rather than the Sarnies down the road and I got a text off Spitfire Dave, who had landed from his latest international jaunt, saying that if I was still in London he was thinking of doing this game. A train to Kingston and a 411 bus saw me arrive at the same time as him.
Nice little ground hemmed in by housing, they are having a poor season with Egham propping up the division below them. Every time I've seen Marlow, it seems to rain goals but Dave and I stood chatting through a fairly non-descript opening 45 with few chances and a 0-0 scoreline at the whistle.
Second half, both teams must have taken some pills as they both came out attacking at will. Goals flew in and after about 85, the home side were 3-2 up. A (what looked to us) blatant Molesey handball in the box was missed by the officials and we thought that Marlow's chance had gone. On about 90, another handball was committed from a croner and the penalty smacked home. Amazingly on 90+3, Marlow broke and the striker was able to push the ball past the keeper for a sensational win. The home players looked done in; the away side including managers and subs ended up in a dog-pile such was the relief. And to think I'd been complaining to Dave about my goal average this season!
Buses are hourly back to Kingston/Hampton so I missed one due to the late finish and had to walk 30 minutes to Hampton Court station but the connections were good enough to be back at my hotel for 1055hrs. Top night out and great company as usual from Spitfire Dave.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

mxhornet
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 7:38 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #8 of 34 (5949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bungay Town Reserves - 0 AC Mill Lane - 3
Anglian Combination Division Four
Maltings Meadow
Attendance - 20ish
Admission - free
Programme - none issued

Another AC reserve side ticked for a home game, the game was starting to look like a nil nil after a first half when both sides had several chances but goalkeepers were doing their jobs well. The thoughts of a goalless scoreline were further strengthened when BT had a second half penalty saved. AC eventually broke the deadlock after 76 minutes and doubled their lead 6 minutes later and then added a third in stoppage time. Score was rather harsh on BT but keeps AC in the promotion mix.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 8:18 AM

Post #9 of 34 (5773 views)
Shortcut

.....A rare sane day at w**k and circa 16.30, time to clear the desk of debris in search of the proverbial six pointer as mentioned in the 'crunch games' of this section...

Biggleswade FC 1 V 0 Tring Athletci - South Midlands League Premier Dvision
Prog 16 pages £1.00 - Admission £6.00 - Att 209 at the ground and I understand a further 126 listening on an internet radio feed including listeners in Spain, Germany & America.

.... Not that the far flung enthusiasts would have had much excitement in their broadcast as this was typically cagey top of the table fayre with defences completely on top. With half of the second half gone, the thought was that it would be miraculous for a goal to appear, however one momentary error from Sansom in the Tring goal and a 94th minute winner which elevates Bggleswade to the top of the SML Premier pile and makes promotion to Level 4 look ever more likely especially when taking into consideration the two games in hand.

Over enthusiastic build up to this contest which did not fit with a Level 5 ethos with stirring martial music akin to a Hollywood soundtrack between a looming ancient Greek battle between Isthmians and Athenians being played and the PA announcer excitedly stating 'that the teams are in the tunnel'. Also there was a degree of over familiarity between the players as this was the fifth occasion that the teams had met this season and there were far too many nudges, trips involved but to both sets of players praise no retaliation.

Not surprisingly, a tense first half with defences largely on top. There were a few chances at both ends with Northfield choosing completely the wrong angle thus sending a low A Marsh cross wide of the post. Slightly more chances for Tring with Clements and Campbell placing shots wide and the closest we came to the net bulging was when the home defence was uncharacteristically caught in possession by Dunstan and his pass was shot against the outside of the post by Clements.

Little difference in the second half with the added difficulty of the hosts being caught offside too often. The visitors who needed the win more than what Biggleswade did again had slightly the better of play but two misdirected shots from Verney one where he needed to strike at an angle and he shot straight and the other where he needed to shoot straight but contrived an angle gave the distinct impression that we were due a visit from the late season Nuls. Same at the opposite end with Hunt sending a free kick from right on the eighteen yard line straight into the wall, though Sansom did well to push over a long cross from L Marsh that was dipping under the bar.

With the number of stoppages, it was inevitable that there would be a number of minutes of added time and it was in the fourth minute when a deft flick forward was being sought by the advancing Sansom in the same way that he had successfully gathered a number of long balls forward during the course of proceedings, however the bounce was far higher than Sansom expected and Inskip nipping in behind placed the ball into the gaping net for what was an unexpected goal and an unexpected win for the hosts as the general consensus was that it would end goal less. As has been the case with the previous times that I have seen Biggleswade this season, they have a real determination rarely seen at any level and it is also rare to see a player as industrious as A Marsh there were not many inches of the pitch that he did not travel over during the course of the contest.

Super speedy one stop at Stevenage journeys in either direction meaning less than forty minutes in either direction. The return journey from Kings Cross onwards was a bit of a mare, with Northern Line and DLR delays meaning that the last train from Limehouse could not be reached as it was shutting early due to late evening engineering work. Lengthy wait at Barking meaning that it was well into the first hour of Wednesday before the abode was reached. Put a dampener on the evening, which despite the closeness of the contest was a captivating watch...

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 10, 2019, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #10 of 34 (5493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland League Conference B (7.30 KO)
Sauchie v Dunipace, 2-2, H.T. 1-1, Att c.100, Admission £6, No paper, Coffee £1, Steak Pie £2.50
At Beechwood Park, Sauchie

There are several Beechwood Parks in Scotland but this is far and away the best of them. The floodlights, modern grandstand, extensive cover down one side and excellent social club from which one can watch the match, this knocks spots off the poorer versions at Auchinleck, Stoneyburn and Lochee Harp (as was).

The modernisation of Sauchie’s stadium was achieved around 15 years ago. Their long-serving Secretary Jimmy Millar, an astute man in so many ways, amassed a small fortune during his lifetime and left it to the club when he died. Around the same time one of Sauchie’s committee was also a major shareholder in Falkirk FC, and negotiated to get various bits and pieces transferred from Brockville to Sauchie when the old Falkirk ground was demolished.

However, I digress. This match was more important to the home side than the visitors. Sauchie would expect to be top five finishers in their Conference but they have struggled to attain that level. A win in this game was essential for them to improve their chances. For Dunipace, playing their last game of the season, there was nothing at stake other than pride.

Ex Bairn Connor Langton put Sauchie ahead following some intense pressure but the home side couldn’t find their shooting boots. Dunipace equalised before half time. In the second half the teams traded penalties to end at 2-2. On several occasions they also traded punches, ensuring this was no drab end of season encounter.

Scottsas confirmed that the steak pies were excellent. Codofthenorth also in attendance, prominent in his Financial Times hat.

Parking can be tricky at Sauchie if you are not there reasonably sharp. The area at the ground is very congested and hopeless for a quick getaway. The scheme behind the shops on the main road is best avoided if you value your no claims bonus.

Alloa Railway station is not that far away as the crow flies but unless you know the local short-cuts it will take you around 20-25 minutes walking time. The footpaths and walkways can knock 10 minutes off that.

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2019, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #11 of 34 (5493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alyth 0-1 Coupar Angus Amateurs
Perthshire Amateur FA, Division 2
h/c a massive 75
f&n

I had almost talked myself out of bothering with footy tonight, PAFA being the only options and thinking that that would entail an after-work trek down as far as Perth, and de-cluttering of the house having ground to a halt these past weeks. But amongst Monday night's pitchside chat with prorege he had recommended the best of the PAFA venues to be Alyth, and Yes, they were amongst tonight's few fixtures, and they are in the northeasternmost part of the county, so not even as far down as Dundee. Bingo!

Alyth is a lovely village on the edge of hillwalking territory - Glenisla is nearby. The central square has a tourist information board. An ex church on the other side of the channeled beck overhung by weeping willows is now a bicycle-hire outlet. You get the idea.
Diamond Jubilee Park is an ex-Juniors venue (more prorege knowledge). Although an unrailed pitch in a larger expanse of park, with grooves rather than lines marking out the pitch, it has four floodlight posts on each side, with support beams from just below the light fittings, so each a large isoscoles triangle. Whether they still work or not I never found out, since on this lovely cloudless bright evening the 6:30 prompt start meant we were done well within daylight. The Fyfe Jamieson Pavilion is an unusual structure. A curved stone veranda, castellated either side, it is the rear part of a single building, the front portion of which is now a private house. Very photogenic.

And what a turn out! It being school holidays, and there being a well-stocked playpark behind one goal meant that this was the place to come not only for us oldies but also as a teenage hang out and for a family evening in the fresh air. Carefree life how it used to be - when one little girl ran off with her pals to play, her Mum shouted after her "if we're not here when you come back, just come home". The stone wall on the far side marking the end of houses was being leaned on by residents watching from their back gardens.

A good well-contested even match too. Coupar Angus took the lead just before the break, but try as they might, the hosts in their natty mauve and white kit couldn't force an equalizer. The number 7 couldn't contain his frustration and was sent to the pavilion a minute before the end.

Paused on the way back to pay homage at the statue of Bon Scott in Kirriemuir - his home town before his family emigrated to Australia and he went on to become AC/DC's front man. The annual three-day 'Bon Fest' will be in the town the first weekend of May.

A wonderful way to have spent a spring evening. So thanks to prorege for tempting me into this one.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2019, 9:12 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 34 (5488 views)
Shortcut

Morpeth 2-1 North Shields AET 1-1 on 90
Northumberland Senior Cup Final
At NUFC
Att 2,247, more from Morpeth
Adm £6/3, inc prog which was full of crap in my opinion. What I expect from a cup final prog is a bit of the cups history, how the clubs got there, not some pointless interviews consisting of "what would winning the cup mean to you".
Not a lover of extra time at my time of life, but as my hotel was only 7 stops on the metro I didn't mind. It was all Morpeth for most of the game, but they were restricted to shots from the edge of the box and numerous crosses, I can only recall one decent save the NS keeper had to make.
Morpeth had taken the lead just before half time, but it certainly a surprise when the Morpeth keeper totally misjudged a header and was rooted to the spot on 55. The game remained almost the same with NS having a few more attacks. The deserved winner came on 111.
Only 47 years since my last visit here, got wet standing in the open end.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 10, 2019, 10:19 AM

Post #13 of 34 (5240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Champions League
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Man City @ New White Hart Lane
Adm. Senior £30 but £60 Adults Prog £5 Card only

Attended the 1st competitive game, only £1 with a free Prog, this was a different world, took my seat an hour before KO to avoid the crowd around the Bars, although the pricing was unexpectedly fair. Just as well with my Seat high up behind the Goal had to stand throughout, notwithstanding threats that UEFA would close Sections that did. Got to feel for ST holders.

Spurs played well whilst City were disappointing so no complaints over the final result. Most annoying was not showing on the screens the handball for the Penalty, did see this morning on tv so understand why given, but feel some Ref’s wouldn’t !

With an extra 20,000 present needed to change access route from usual WHL, used Tottenham Hale Station, a 30 minute stroll prior, not much quicker after, despite a faster pace.

On this showing believe Spurs will get a result in the return.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2019, 10:49 AM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #14 of 34 (5099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wall] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rotherham Charity Cup Semi-Final

Queens United 1 {Mexborough Sunday League} 45'+2
AFP 3 {Rotherham Sunday League} 22' 62' 68'

Admission: £2 / Programme: team-sheet / Attendance: around 70

Played at Maltby Main FC, where the 'feels like' temperature was Baltic as per usual - does it ever get warm there?!
Sam Oxley's hat-trick sets up a repeat of the 2016 final - AFP versus Westville FC - at Rotherham United's New York Stadium in May. Should be interesting! Sly

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 10, 2019, 11:23 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 34 (4975 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Wall] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Spurs but no issues with fans standing in my section, a few rows up in the top tier in the corner above the City fans. Perfect sight-lines, good-sized seats/legroom and a magnificent stadium to gawp at - it really is something special.

My first experience of VAR and, although the screens do their best to tell you what's going on, none of us had a clue what had happened for the penalty. With these new handball guidelines that UEFA introduced in January apparently coming into domestic play next season, along with VAR, I fear there'll be plenty of controversy to keep Big Al, Wrighty and Co in clover next season. I didn't like it - besides the penalty controversy, even if it did help get decisions right it seemed to suck the life and passion out of the game at moments you least wanted it to, notably intruding into the celebrations of Son's goal. Hopefully it'll improve.

Arrived at WHL station around two hours before KO, having had to let two overcrowded Overground trains from Seven Sisters go without me before third time lucky. 30-35 minute brisk walk back to Seven Sisters Tube after the game where, although busy, crowd control measures helped ensure it took only a few minutes to get from street to platform. Certainly no overcrowding on either the platform or the Tube train itself.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Apr 10, 2019, 12:06 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #16 of 34 (4832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evostik League Division One East
Stocksbridge Park Steels 0 Cleethorpes Town 3
Att: 105 (20/25 away) Adm: comp (usually £7) Prog: comp (usually £1.50) Raffle: £1

A comfortable win for the Owls who, after the poor showing against Belper, made 5 changes and also adopted a 4-4-2 formation for the first time in quite a number of games.

The boldness of the manager paid off, with 3 good goals from Josh Batty, Jon Oglesby (a real cracker into the top corner) and a last-kick of the night strike from Scott Vernon. It could have been different if the Steels had scored, rather than hit the post, after 90 seconds.

In truth, though, the hosts can have no complaints about the result. It maintains our play-off hopes until at least Saturday, when we must win at Sheffield to set-up a potentially exciting season finale.

A sparse crowd but I love the set-up here. Everyone was friendly before kick-off and a decent view from the Jamie Vardy Stand, which provided welcome shelter on a cold night. Warm in the Clubhouse too and a good place to chew over the 90 minutes. Back to Linden on the team bus at 10 to midnight, after a minor diversion on the M18. Tired getting up this morning, however it was well worth the trip!

2019/20 season: 21 competitive games
(13 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 3 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 Lincs Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 85 (4.0 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 20)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 10, 2019, 12:07 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #17 of 34 (4828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Combined Counties League Cup Semi final

Bedfont & Feltham 0 Sutton Common Rovers 1

Entry - £5. Programme - £1. Attendance - h/c 50. Weather - dry, cold, overcast, windy.

Two sides high in their respective divisions but who have been going through a sticky patch of late. Promotion looks unlikely for either now, whereas just a few weeks back both were in with a good shout.

This poor form showed itself in a scrappy, poor, shot-less first half, one of the least entertaining I've seen in a long while. The most exciting thing i saw was a bat flying past the end of the stand.

The second half was an improvement, to a degree. The only goal came on 49 , when a diagonal cross into the box found Twum with an open goal to head into, which he duly did. B&F attempted to step things up looking for the equaliser, but the SCR defence exerted its Premier division pedigree and was a match for anything thrown at them, which was good - not many here could have stood another 30 minutes of this.

The final, between SCR and CB Hounslow United is, according to the programme, at Windsor on 11 May.

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 10, 2019, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #18 of 34 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Punjab United 0-2 Cray Valley (PM)Southern Counties (East), Premier DivisionAdmission £7, Programme £1. Attendance 71
The "Elite Venue" is an interesting ramshackle ground, helped in its way by the clear fact that the club has gone to some effort to supply themselves with the facilities, rather than rely on bringing in prefabs.

The Elite Venue itself is a series of function rooms hired out for various rooms. Punjab's playing area has been enclosed, with the rest of the playing fields a little overgrown and apparently unused. The dressing rooms are outside the enclosure, meaning the players have to come down stairs and across to their gate. Fencing of the enclosure is not all up to 1.83 meters high and not all covered to prevent viewing from outside.

All spectator facilities are along one side. These include a small club room (with canned beers in the fridge) and a refreshment stand with a good choice of options. The hard standing also comprises a narrow path along one side, but the other two sides are grassed, but not closed to stop spectators walking around. It therefore seems that the ground is not quite up to the official grading standard for Step 5. It also highlights that the official standards are inconsistent with what should be required at this level.

The game was entertaining but not outstanding. Punjab showed that they should have enough to avoid relegation, Cray were always on top, but never convincing enough to give the feeling they must get promoted. An early goal should have put them on track, but they failed to capitalise and added just one more midway through the second period.
With four games to play, Cray Valley are in second place, two points ahead of Fisher, and two behind Corinthian. Fisher v Corinthian on Easter Monday may be a big game.
At the bottom, Punjab have two teams below them. Assuming two down, Croydon have already confirmed 20th place. Punjab have two points and two games in hand over Rusthall, with Hollands and Blair the only other side that can drop to 19th
I posted some pictures via instagram yesterday and will but more on facebook later today or tomorrow - I expect we will see a posting and video log from the two men in search of the beautiful game, (who noticably also have two cameramen in tow as well)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 1:17 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #19 of 34 (4575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Evostik League Division One East
Stocksbridge Park Steels 0 Cleethorpes Town 3
Att: 105 (20/25 away) Adm: comp (usually £7) Prog: comp (usually £1.50) Raffle: £1

A comfortable win for the Owls who, after the poor showing against Belper, made 5 changes and also adopted a 4-4-2 formation for the first time in quite a number of games.

The boldness of the manager paid off, with 3 good goals from Josh Batty, Jon Oglesby (a real cracker into the top corner) and a last-kick of the night strike from Scott Vernon. It could have been different if the Steels had scored, rather than hit the post, after 90 seconds.

In truth, though, the hosts can have no complaints about the result. It maintains our play-off hopes until at least Saturday, when we must win at Sheffield to set-up a potentially exciting season finale.

A sparse crowd but I love the set-up here. Everyone was friendly before kick-off and a decent view from the Jamie Vardy Stand, which provided welcome shelter on a cold night. Warm in the Clubhouse too and a good place to chew over the 90 minutes. Back to Linden on the team bus at 10 to midnight, after a minor diversion on the M18. Tired getting up this morning, however it was well worth the trip!

Also at this one using my Steels ten game season ticket for only the second time this season! Can’t argue with Oggy’s report the visitors thoroughly deserved their win ending Steels best winning run of the season. Their first two goals were crackers, a diving header and a superb long range strike. Good to see that former U’s striker Scottie Vernon hasn’t lost his finishing touch. Unlike Oggy I was home about ten minutes after the final whistle.

(This post was edited by sheffgeoff on Apr 10, 2019, 1:19 PM)

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Apr 10, 2019, 1:22 PM

Post #20 of 34 (4557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
East of Scotland League Conference B (7.30 KO)
Sauchie v Dunipace, 2-2, H.T. 1-1, Att c.100, Admission £6, No paper, Coffee £1, Steak Pie £2.50
At Beechwood Park, Sauchie

There are several Beechwood Parks in Scotland but this is far and away the best of them.

Got to agree, a tidy set up and scenic with a fine backdrop. If I were the Club I'd cut down the trees on the Stand side as they are blocking the view of some of the surrounding hills. As Prorege mentioned the Clubhouse viewing point under the Stand offers a fine view for those not wanting to go outside in the cold, with it's one large window.
Not sure what the whisky barrels on the far side of the Stand are used for...loads of the large wooden ones, maybe someones a drink problem. There's also a third Stand behind the far goal, no one used it tonight and it seems to house the local tractor. Good to revisit, not been here for a good while and good to get a good run both ways along the Stirling Straits of the A811.

The games already been covered by our resident Scottish correspondent a fountain on knowledge. A decent night out, on a dry night in Central Scotland.

1dringMinstrel
Junior Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 1:52 PM

Post #21 of 34 (4457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Binfield 0 v 0 Ardley United (3-4 pens AET)
Perpetua Press Hellenic League Floodlit Cup Final
Adm £6, Prog £1, Att est 110
At Fairford Town FC

Should have gone to penalties after ten minutes and saved everyone a lot of bother.

AlanB
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 10, 2019, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Kent clubs in general

Post #22 of 34 (4453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Punjab United 0-2 Cray Valley (PM)Southern Counties (East), Premier DivisionAdmission £7, Programme £1. Attendance 71

The Elite Venue itself is a series of function rooms hired out for various rooms. Punjab's playing area has been enclosed, with the rest of the playing fields a little overgrown and apparently unused. The dressing rooms are outside the enclosure, meaning the players have to come down stairs and across to their gate. Fencing of the enclosure is not all up to 1.83 meters high and not all covered to prevent viewing from outside.

All spectator facilities are along one side. These include a small club room (with canned beers in the fridge) and a refreshment stand with a good choice of options. The hard standing also comprises a narrow path along one side, but the other two sides are grassed, but not closed to stop spectators walking around. It therefore seems that the ground is not quite up to the official grading standard for Step 5. It also highlights that the official standards are inconsistent with what should be required at this level.

Leo, your comments about the boundary at Punjab being 'not quite up to standard' don't agree with the FA's grading documents. Here is the Grade F/Step 5 boundary regulation:

1.4 Boundary of Ground
The ground must be enclosed by a permanent boundary. As a general rule, the minimum height, when measured from outside the ground, must be 1.83 metres. It should be noted that at higher grades the boundary fence should be of a construction to prevent viewing from outside the ground.
Where any side of the ground is bounded by private land/property, the fixed boundary of that private land / property may be acceptable as the boundary of the ground.

So the boundary fence can be less than 1.83m, partly but not only if the land outside is not public. A solid/screened fence is only required at Step 4 and above.

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 10, 2019, 3:19 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #23 of 34 (4253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AlanB] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that. I added those comments knowing it meant promotion was not currently achievable (not that this is a problem this season)

The only thing I think is certainly against grading was the lack of a path on the third side - but some graders may be unhappy with the route from dressing rooms to pitch

I would prefer to be wrong, then to see Punjab being dropped a division

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 10, 2019, 6:56 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #24 of 34 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Sherwood Colliery 2-1 Ashby Ivanhoe
East Midlands Counties FL
Att.50
Admission £5

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...67-debdale-park.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 10, 2019, 7:39 PM

Post #25 of 34 (3720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Tuesday 9th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Charlton & District 2 Halse United 0
Banbury Charity Cup.Quarter Final

Another game in the Banbury Charity Cup and a visit to the Farthingoe Road ground of Charlton & District.Easy enough to find on the north side of the village.Just a basic ground partially roped on one side.Its a very exposed venue and with a strong wind blowing across the pitch which was very dry and bumpy,the game took a while to settle down.Halse played some decent football and hit the post twice in the first half.Charlton were more direct in their playing style and scored from a corner just before halftime.They scored again just after the break and comfortably saw the game out.
Attendance of 28 and hot drinks were available at halftime.

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3