Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Wednesday 10th April 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Apr 10, 2019, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 25 (4962 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 10th April 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pembrokeshire Division 2. KO 18:00. (F&N). Crowd 27.

St. Ishmaels 1 v 1 Johnston

The sports ground is on the edge of the village, with an active sports and social club and bar. The pitch slopes from end to end and a little from side to side. Beautiful sunny evening, not a cloud in the sky but a cold wind blowing up the slope. The match was 5th v 4th, with the visitors having several games in hand.

The home side, nicknamed tish, scored with their first attack after 7 minutes, a well taken volley from the corner of the 18 yard box. They held the lead for just another 7 minutes when the visitors slotted home from close range. Despite constant pressure and hitting the post, Johnston could not find the net again that half.

The second period was a quite dull affair, with tish a little more in the game kicking down the slope. Neither side created many genuine goal scoring opportunities and the game petered out and the ref blew a few minutes early I think.

noprogs
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 9:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 25 (4851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rufforth U 4 Clifford 0
York & District League, Junior Cup

Rufforth were just the better team in the first half, but only scored via a scrappy goal just before the break.
This completely transformed matters, and the second half was one way traffic with Clifford fading badly.
Typical York League set up with a large and entirely separate cricket pitch between the changing block and the football part, which has concrete dugouts on either side of the pitch

BA21
Youth Team Sub

Apr 10, 2019, 9:57 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town

Post #3 of 25 (4813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Netherbury 0 Waytown Hounds 2
Perry Street & District League division one
Admission - none
Programme - none
Refreshments - none
Attendance 32 h/c

Tonight my mate John drove out to Netherbury for 'El Netherico'. The villages of Netherbury and Waytown are separated by less than a mile and both clubs groundshare at Netherbury Playing Fields. Netherbury are bottom of the table while the 'visitors' went top after this victory secured with two second-half goals, both sides missed a penalty.

Netherbury is situated off the Beaminster to Bridport Road, the latter being around five miles away. The ground has a sloping pitch with a small dressing room block in a wooded corner. There are two dugouts in place on the top touchline with a few park benches dotted about too.

Grounds 663 International/Football League/Senior non-league
Football League 2019/20 86/92 - last 12/05/19 Tottenham Hotspur vs Everton, Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Fixtures at 120 Football League grounds
Last new - 23/11/19 Wrexham vs Yeovil Town, National League
New 2019/20 Abergavenny Town, Chepstow Town, Lizard Argyle, United Services Portsmouth, Hutton, Ludgershall Sports, Wrexham

(This post was edited by BA21 on Apr 10, 2019, 10:00 PM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2019, 10:19 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 25 (4704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BA21] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jarrow 3-3 Bedlington
Northern League Div 2
Adm £5/3, prog available at £1, only saw one person with one.
Att 50 ish

I was told by someone far wiser than me many years ago "there's no such thing as a pointless end of season game in the North East". Well, if this is anything to go by i'm glad i listened and didn't go chasing a "so called meaningful fixture".
Good stuff from the word go, if anything Jarrow were the better side early on but went in one down, but the 2nd half was just end to end and either side could have won it.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 11:19 PM

Post #5 of 25 (4465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ledbury Town Reserves 1 Ludlow Colts 3

County Ground: Herefordshire FA Junior Cup Final

This was my first visit to the County Ground since early February, when Hereford Lads Club entertained Bartestree in a Herefordshire County Challenge Cup semi-final, which the visitors went on to record a surprise victory. In recent seasons, the final of the Herefordshire Junior Cup has been played at neighbouring Westfields but this season has seen a return to the County Ground, where the match was played for many years. Club from the first and Second Divisions of the Herefordshire FA County League compete for this trophy as well as a handful of county-based clubs that ply their trade in leagues outside of the county boundary. Ludlow Colts came into the final as the favourites to lift the trophy for the first time as they sat at the summit of the First Division following a 2-1 victory at Hereford Lads Club Reserves in their previous outing. The Shropshire club require four points from their remaining six league fixtures to be crowned champions and potentially earn promotion to the top echelon of the Herefordshire FA County League. Ludlow Colts had overcome Malvern Vale, Hereford Lads Club Colts and Shobdon en route to this evening final. Ledbury Town Reserves found themselves in the lower-half of the first Division table following a 1-0 home reverse at the hands of Hereford City on Saturday afternoon. The New Street men had defeated Hereford Lads Club Reserves, Dore Valley, Bromyard Downs and St John’s Howle Hill to reach this evening’s final.

It was Ledbury Town Reserves that made the stronger start to this final as they saw a shot of the turn pushed over the crossbar after the Ludlow Colts goalkeeper had spilled an initial shot. the Shropshire club had a great opportunity to open the scoring four minutes later when a Ludlow Colts forward ran on to a long played forward but sliced wide or the target with only the goalkeeper to beat. Ledbury Town Reserves found the back of the net when a ninth minute free-kick just outside the left edge of the penalty area was headed emphatically home. The New Street club then saw a shot deflected wide from the edge of the penalty area three minutes later before pulling an effort wide from a similar distance in the 25th minute. Referee Chris Bounds played only 42 minutes during the opening period before blowing his half-time whistle. Although the match official appeared to make-up for this discrepancy during the second-half. Ledbury Town reserves saw a 48th minute free-kick into the penalty area lifted over the Ludlow Colts goal before the Salopians equalised two minutes latter when they broke sown the right and a low cross was converted at the far post. Ledbury Town Reserves pulled a low shot wide of the target in the 55th minute before Ludlow Colts possibly should have taken the lead two minutes latter when they failed to convert an inviting cross from the left. The New Street outfit saw a header turned over from a corner on the hour mark before the Colts saw a dipping cross-shot turned over the crossbar seven minutes later. The Salopians too the lead for the first time in the 72nd minute when the ball was cleared against a Ludlow Colts player and rebounded into the net. The Colts struck an upright from an 80th minute shot on the tun before Ledbury Town Reserves went close from a 25 yard free-kick a couple of minutes later. The Shropshire club completed the scoring in the 94th minute when a ball across the penalty area was missed by a defender and turned home at the far post.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 748
Matches: 166
New Grounds: 16

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2019, 11:24 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #6 of 25 (4452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PL International Cup Semi-Final

Southampton U23 1 Dinamo Zagreb II 3

admission free, programme/teamsheet none, attendance 3605
1st in PL2 Div 2 v 4th in Croatian Div 2
A game in this competition open to the general public at last (the rest have been at Staplewood), and Saints were rewarded with a decent attendance, and massive hot-dog sales, from what I could see - everyone seemed to have one....
Saints had already beaten this opposition in the earlier stages, but left themselves too much to do this time, having to play all the second half with ten men. The visitors were pretty much U21/U23 too, but play in a men's league and were definitely more streetwise, possessing the full range of passing, as well as some things that didn't please the home crowd.
We had big action in the first minute - a great cross from the left by Gogic was met with a firm header from close range by Sipos (who led the line well), but home keeper Lewis made a great save to turn the ball away. Saints replied with a free-kick which visiting keeper Horkas failed to catch, Johnson's shot was blocked and Tella hit the rebound wide. The visitors took the eye with some smooth passing and took the lead after 9 mins - another good cross from the left, by Marin this time, was met by a deft flick by Sipos who found the far corner. Saints came back and competed well - from one ball-win, Smallbone shot over. The home team then suffered a blow as Tella had to be replaced due to injury, but managed to equalise after 22 mins as a ball was crossed in from the left and Hamblin came steaming in to head into the net. A good move just after saw Ferry's shot deflected just wide, then a defensive error saw Ferry bring a decent save out of Horkas. The game became more physical and on 37 mins Gjira squealed in pain after a challenge by Hamblin and rolled over several times. The ref decided that Hamblin had been rather late with his tackle, and sent him off - a decision not popular with the home fans, who booed Gjira for the rest of the match. Gjira happened to be the best player on the pitch, in a Luka Modric role, so there was a lot of booing. The visitors kept hold of the ball for the rest of the half, the home team regrouping well although they were lucky just before the break when Sipos' header came off a defender and went just wide. HT 1-1.
After the break the visitors passed the ball around and looked very comfortable, but they lacked penetration. This was until the 58th minute when Gjira made a nice run through the middle, played a one-two and slipped the ball under Lewis to give his side the lead. They then proceeded to pass the ball around again without really threatening. After about 70 mins Saints decided to come out more and look for an equaliser - their more direct approach contrasted with their opponents, and caused them a couple of problems - Johnson had a decent volley saved by Horkas. They were always vulnerable to the break, and a good move saw Sipos have a good chance which he shot over the bar. But on 82 mins came the decisive goal; another good break saw sub Cuic through to beat Lewis and we saw half the crowd moving towards the exits. Saints continued to battle, they had a good shout for a penalty when Ferry appeared to be fouled, and Ferry was put clear in injury time but shot just wide. The visitors generally looked comfortable, though, and could have extended their lead when good work by Sipos set up Barisic, but his shot was saved.
Massive scenes of jubilation at the final whistle as Zagreb II will now meet Bayern II in the final.
No changes at St. Mary's since my last visit - only the Itchen Stand was open today. Parking in the industrial area around the ground is now even restricted on the evenings, which is a pain, and the Southampton traffic light system is still as appalling as ever.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Apr 10, 2019, 11:25 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2019, 11:27 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #7 of 25 (4436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

6.20pm (5 mins late)
York League, Premier Division
Dringhouses 7 Copmanthorpe 2 (att 45 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

Enjoyable game at a typical York League venue. Football is played beyond the cricket pitch at the Dringhouses Sports and Social Club, the playing area is roped off along one touchline and there's a pair of dugouts.

Relegation-threatened Copmanthorpe scored the first and last goals, but in between there was a gulf between the sides. Dringhouses were only 2-1 up at half time but hit their stride after the break.

On my blog at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...-v-copmanthorpe.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2019, 5:41 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #8 of 25 (4144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentwood Sunday League
Senior Division League Cup final

Hutton 0-0 Manor House (aet)
Manor House win 5-3 on pens

at Brentwood Town FC

Adm: Fiver, inc prog [shocking as ever so wasn't that
worried having lost my copy]

Att: c175

@BrentwoodSunLge

I've been colder at a game - Accrington v Gateshead FA Cup '92 springs
to mind - but this was nuts numbingly freezing for early April and my
pre-match prediction that it would go the full distance proved true.

Plan A was an Uber from Harold Wood to Brentwood and a few drinks
in town before getting a lift to the ground - I don't do walking unless
it's flat and sunny [min 25c] - but that was quickly defenestrated after
a lorry shed it's load of livestock [now deadstock] at J28 of the M25.

So, train to Brentwood and cab to the High Street - my tar-ridden lungs
cannot cope with that hill - and into the Gardeners for a few light ales with
mon chauffeur before heading off to the match at 7.30.

Most here know the ground and it's location - never been a fan of the
place personally - but they've worked wonders with the pitch which
back in the day used to resemble a dust bowl at this time of year.

The two sides having met three times already - one win each and a draw -
traded blow for blow but chances during the first period were at a premium
and on the odd occasion Hutton breached their opponents' defence, there
was no way past Mason Durrell who despite only being 5' 8'', is one of the
best shot stoppers in the BSL.

Hutton upped the ante after the break and it only seemed a matter of time
before they scored but Jonathon Hilliard, my m-o-t-m, headed wide with
Brad Freeman and Harrison Brown both missing makeable chances.

More heroics from Durrell took the tie into extra-time and beyond but Manor
almost snatched an unlikely winner when substitute Michael Afolali's late
chance for glory was denied him by Paul Lefondre in what was minute 125.

And so to penalties, surprisingly not taken at the infamous 'Bell End' which is
usually the norm, as Durrell's save low to his right was crucial as Manor were
clinical with all five kicks.

I shall sub down the after match experience which was a litany of early closing
pubs, no show buses and taxis, before eventually getting home and spending
the next two hours thawing out.

Just four more finals to go, all on a Wednesday - things, can only get warmer.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

(This post was edited by DonQuixote on Apr 11, 2019, 5:43 AM)

mxhornet
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2019, 7:43 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #9 of 25 (3936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Long Stratton Women - 0 Taverham United Women - 3
Norfolk Girls & Women's League Division Two
Manor Road
Attendance - 30ish
Admission - free
Programme - none issued

Silly season starts for me with some common sense, the league had scheduled this as a 6-30 pm start but the clubs between them saw sense and brought forward the kick off to 6-15 and the game was underway by 6-17 on my watch. The game was second v first though LS could still be caught by third placed Fakenham Town and fourth placed Tavern Old Boys.
Taverham started very strongly and were rewarded with a goal after 13 minutes and then another 25 minutes in. LS had competed well but couldn't find the finishing tough. Taverham made sure of the points and kept themselves on target for winning the league with a third midway through the second half.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

(This post was edited by mxhornet on Apr 11, 2019, 7:51 AM)

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2019, 8:24 AM

Post #10 of 25 (3801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Another enduring a cold Essex evening with what occurred on the pitch hardly turning attention away from the chill....

Enfield Town 2 v 0 AFC Hornchurch - Isthmian League Cup Final
Prog 12 pages £1.00 - Admission £10.00 - Att 617

....Like the boards Don, I have been infinitely colder at a game before, but this is very nearly mid April FFS though it felt like the beginning of February. Moral here do not be deceived by a Wednesday lunchtime spent in shirt sleeves in an E14 suntrap. Also like the boards Don, the prog was (as usual) a shocker, must have taken the Isthmian League all of two minutes to cut n'paste the relevant info from various sources. Though unlike the boards Don who misplaced his prog, the said tome is currently glaring at me saying 'you spent a hard earned quid on me sucker'.

In addition hardly the most endearing of contests with two well matched time, perfectly summed up at half time by the Kentish Man to my left who stated 'that Enfield could not hit the target with their shooting and AFC Hornchurch's shots were being blocked'. There was the usual array of half chances in between the regulation Isthmian spade loads of effort with the closest that we came to the net bulging was a header from Rumens from Enfield Town which was hacked off the line by Wilson. The thoughts at half time were that this could be a very long evening given that unlike the earlier rounds of the competition extra time is scheduled.

Thankfully, the second half was better as defences started to loosen their grip, with the difference between the teams being that Enfield Town converted the chances created. A great run from the increasingly influential Parcell for Enfield was followed by an equally impressive cross and all Davison had to do was side foot into the gaping net in front of him.

Given the close nature of the first half, our grouping were of the opinion that there would soon be a Hornchurch leveller, however this theory did not take into account the linesmans flag which was correctly raised to chalk off Mark's header which dropped under the bar, neither did it take into account a Marks' seemingly stepping over a low cross from Saunders of the type that Enfield had scored from earlier. Any chance of our nether regions becoming even more April chilled were dispelled by Chaney's run through some rather half hearted tackles and subsequent shot past the advancing Chafer. From thereon it was operation game management for Enfield and their large group of supporters were given the opportunity to exercise their lungs to the 'Champeonies' refrain. Our grouping for some inane reason at half time were giving details of our favourite ever football moments. Fairly certain that this particular contest will not feature in any of our top three thousand.

On the plus side, the final was at Aveley, which is just a bus ride from the way home from w**k and with a rare in these parts 19.30 start there was no danger of not connecting with the return bus service. Indoors at 22.45...........

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 11, 2019, 9:07 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #11 of 25 (3646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland league Conference B
Bonnyrigg Rose v Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale, 5-1, H.T. 3-0, Att c.220, Admission £6, Programme £2, Food available
At New Dundas Park, Bonnyrigg

Last season Lothian Thistle HV pushed Kelty Hearts all the way to the last game in the race for the East of Scotland League title. One year later this defeat for the Saughton club all but ends their hopes of making the cut for the Premier Division next season. Conference Champions Bonnyrigg Rose took no prisoners on the night and put Lothian to the sword with a fine display of attacking football.

The final goal tally could have been considerably more. It was shootey-in for much of the second half with Rose missing some amazing chances. Chief culprit was the volatile Louis Swanson – he was desperate to score against his old club but the opportunities he spurned became more and more bizarre as the game wore on.

The irony in this clash is that Lothian may have a better chance than Bonnyrigg of playing in the Lowland League next season. Bonnyrigg do not yet have their licence – they will find out the outcome of their application next Thursday. If they do not get approval then they cannot be promoted. Meanwhile Lothian, as a licensed club, can apply for any vacancies that there may be in the Lowland League – the number will become clear once various other variables are sorted out over the next few weeks.

It would be a shame if Bonnyrigg don’t go up but their lack of floodlights is an issue. They are now working like mad to get them installed before the end of the season but the planning permission process is not yet concluded. Of course, had they shown some vision a couple of years ago then this would not have been an issue for them.

New Dundas Park looks splendid these days and the club are clearly on an upward curve. Support for them is strong with over 200 turning out for a 6.30 kick off, with no visiting followers in evidence at all.

Bonnyrigg have a programme produced on their behalf these days, bearing a marked resemblance to Whitehill Welfare issues of recent times. The current lack of a programme at Whitehill is no coincidence.

I had considered heading on to Prestonpans for the second half of Vale of Leithen v BSC Glasgow (7.45 KO) but decided against it. The journey over had been tedious and prolonged due to an accident on the Edinburgh City By Pass. Going home I was just minutes too late to avoid a massive diversion due to roadworks – a 20 mile detour via Livingston and Broxburn due to works at the Claylands interchange where the M8 and M9 diverge.

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2019, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #12 of 25 (3488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Vale of Leithen 0-3 BSC Glasgow
Lowland League
at Pennypit Park (Preston Athletic), Prestonpans, outside Edinburgh
h/c 51
£5 in, prog £1 (double issue, also for last Saturday), pie £1.50

An irresistible one-off bracketed tick, moved from unlit Innerleithen to preserve self-perceived-important Lowland League's 7:45 KO rather than starting early enough to be done before dark. Crowd just two-thirds of the turnout at my Perthshire Amateurs game the night before, and a fraction of those up the road at Bonnyrigg.
Nothing for either side to play for. Another LL snoozefest. 0-1 in the 12th minute, then 58th- & 63rd-minute goals sealed it for the visitors.
An instantly-recognizable black leather cap was spotted, so it was Jim's turn to have a quiet evening out spoiled by my presence. His hip flask kept him entertained.
I'd had a sharp getaway from work at 4pm, so was at the Queensferry Crossing before 6pm, then the crawl round the Edinburgh bypass meant a full hour just to complete that last part. Still, there too early to go straight in, so popped my head in The Goth as one should whenever in Prestonpans, where yet again the onsite brewery has changed name and restarted - the Faking Bad Brewery launched on the 22nd March. Three of theirs on handpump, the weaker two quite meh but the stronger one very suppable.
Signs had forewarned that the bypass would be closed from 9pm and prorege had texted me his tortuous diversion, so I took the through-Leith-&-Edinburgh route, showing extreme willpower to not stop at any of the wonderful watering holes en route. Back home just in time for the shipping forecast in bed.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2019, 12:05 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #13 of 25 (3257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barmby Moor 1 Malt Shovel 5
York Senior Lge Div 2 f&n Att 10

Another typical York League set up in what seems to be an affluent village just outside Pocklington. The ground is on Flat Lane, about half a mile from the Boot & Slipper which had two handpumps on (Theakstons Best and Wainwrights) and a tasty looking carvery which was bringing the locals in. Parking is in the wide verges outside as the car park by the changing rooms is very small. The main pitch is on the far side of the field across the cricket pitch and is enclosed on three sides by hedges of various sizes, none of which protected against the sharp wind. Football furniture consists of two large dugouts backing into the far hedge and these are attached to a covered 'neutral zone' between them which would offer shelter on a rainy day(depending on wind direction!). There's another pitch beyond the hedge nearest the village which has a couple of training lights next to it.

When we heard that there was no sign of the ref, Old Knut, Pete Coles and myself decided that we could just get to Hemingborough's 7pm ko at Selby Town but having consulted a league official the teams were told to 'sort it out themselves' so they shared referring duties between them. Needless to say that the game was played in good spirit with, no dissent, no squealing and rolling about, and no violence.....it could catch on. Malt Shovel are a decent outfit and are playing catch up due to their successes in local cups. Barmy Moor are second bottom so the result was as expected. Three first half goals and plenty of near misses highlighted the gulf but the hosts never gave up.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

Tim

Apr 11, 2019, 3:57 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #14 of 25 (2866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tividale 2 Dudley Town 2 aet 3-0 pens (WMRL Premier Division Cup) Att: 69 h/c

The young Robins battled hard, forced extra time with an injury time equaliser, a few seconds after their keeper had been sent off, but then took three of the worst penalties I've ever seen. Shame. The game also followed the following rule: the colder it gets, the greater the likelihood of extra time. First trip to Packwood Road for a while and it is unchanged. Admission £3 (codger) and decent prog for £1.50.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Apr 11, 2019, 4:15 PM

Post #15 of 25 (2827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Clydebank 2-3 Auchinleck Talbot...West Region Premier...Adm £6..Prog £[email protected] Lochburn Park....Cuppa £1.20...Pies Very nice.

Took on the rush hour traffic and the odd car shunt to arrive in the west end of Glasgow in good time for the 1900 kick off. A good turn out by the Talbot supporters as their side steam through the season with only 1 defeat from their 16 games so far....and are also Junior Cup finalists.

The Bot raced in to a 0-2 lead within 15 minutes, the first a rocket into the roof of the net from distance by No 11 Shankland.
Clydebank in an eventful game pulled one back from the spot on 45+2 minutes....the ref,he took some abuse for that decision. Unaffected by the abuse, he gave them another after the break on 47 minutes both of which Nicky Little the No6 converted to make it 2-2. And like buses which come in three's, the referee awarded a further penalty to the home side on the hour. A hatrick of penalties was on the cards as Little sent keeper Leishman the wrong way...unfortunately his trailing legs managed to complete the save and the score remained 2-2. The game continued to be a heated affair as the Bankies found new confidence to play a bit.

The referee hadnt finished and awarded another penalty this time to the visitors. It had appeared the keeper had been fouled on the goal-line but the decision went to the Bot and the penalty was converted by Pope...no relation to him at the Vatican though Talbot must have been praying for a goal. Handbags came out now and again but that's part and parcel of the Junior game up here.

A good advert for the game and three more points go to second placed Talbot who are 5 points off the leaders with 5 games in hand. No real changes at Lochburn Park, though Bankies usual ground at Yoker has had it's plastic pitch laid as work continues via volunteers to get the rest of the ground shipshape.

Good run back on a clear cool night in the west end of Glasgow.

(This post was edited by codofthenorth on Apr 11, 2019, 9:59 PM)

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2019, 9:17 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #16 of 25 (2359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield County Senior League Premier Division

Oughtibridge War Memorial Recrecreation Ground

Oughtibridge WM 0(0) Stocksbridge Park Steels Reserves 2(1)

Amber Shirts / Black Shorts Red Shirts / Blue Shorts

Attendance 47 (Headcount) & 3 Dogs (the Jack Russell next to me went for the lady linesman every time she ran past!)

Admission Free No Programmes or Team Sheets

Ham & Cheese Sandwich £1 Tea £1

A sunny evening for just my second visit to the Outighbridge WM Rec Ground, my nearest football ground. For those that haven't visited this one it sits next to the cricket pitch on the banks of the River Don in the village some five miles north of Sheffield city centre. There is a bar and a tea bar in the cricket pavillion. The pitch is part railed on the dugout side and roped off on the cricket pitch side. Down half of the dugout side an odd collection of small stands provide limited cover.

Surprisingly the game kicked off only six minutes late, not bad after Caribbean Sports twenty-five past six kick-off on Monday. Steels took the lead midway through the first half with a Richard Adams header from a corner on the right. The hosts were then reduced to ten men when the ref sent off Thomas Fletcher for an offence that myself and those around me completely missed. Steels doubled their lead in the 70th minute when Arnie Grayson beat the last defender, ran on and fired past the keeper. Still light at full time and home for five past eight.

royals26

Apr 11, 2019, 11:02 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #17 of 25 (2140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Berks Trophy Centre Senior Cup Semi-Final

Rivermoor (aka Scours La - Reading City FC) 19:30 KO

Marlow United 5-0 FC Imaan Lions
{2nd TVL-P} v {5th TVL-1}

Admission: £3 no prog

Attendance: h/c 60+ - pretty even split between the two sides with a few local 'neutrals' tagging along.

Directions/Facilities: usual here - were doing burgers and chips in the clubhouse for after the game I think?

Match: Marlow Utd showed their superior status - indeed the word is they are applying to move to the Hellenic - and very probably up to STEP06, since they have lights where they are now, lodging at Oak Tree Rd with their big Cousins Marlow FC.

They may well win the TVL-P anyway and be eligible for promotion - they have 2 games in hand and trail Cookham Dean by 6 points who have only one game left at 3rd placed Woodcote SR.

Marlow have three games left then but have put in 24 goals in their last 4 games - so have some momentum. They host mid-table Burghfield this Sat, then travel to the same opponents on Easter Sat - finishing off with a visit from bottom-placed Woodley Royals.

They are in the B&B Senior Trophy Final too v Old Bradwell @ Abingdon Utd on the 27th;
.... the win here tonight will now see them play Mortimer in the showpiece Final at the MadStad in May.

Looked calm and composed on the ball - defended ably when pressed and were ruthless when in sight of goal - in particular throwing more numbers forward 2nd half to prevent their opponent getting out of their half.

'Lions' strove gamely and had some decent individuals on show but could not make any headway against defenders who would look comfortable at a higher level.

Drove home on tenterhooks as we strived and failed to hold an unlikely lead at Carrow Rd - got indoors and somewhat dejectedly sat down to watch the end of the 'Prawn Sarnies' vs Barca: with us still behind deep into stoppage time.

An elated yelp from my youngest looking at the Beeb site on his phone, heralded the news we'd pinched a point in the 97' at Naaaarge. TongueCool

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2019, 11:04 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #18 of 25 (2131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cod] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Nottinghamshire Senior League, Division Two

Elston United 0 Newark Flowserve reserves 5 {18' 21' 75' 77' 81'}

Kick-Off: 18.31 ~ Full-Time: 20.02 {1st half: 46½ mins, 2nd half: 40½ mins} Crazy

Venue: Balderton Sports Ground, Coronation Street

Weather: fckin freezing Pirate

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2019, 11:22 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #19 of 25 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Swanage Town & Herston FC 1-3 Merley Cobham Sports (Dorset Premier League)
- played at Days Park, Northbrook Road, Swanage from 7.45pm

Att – 70 (h/c); Entry £3 and no programme; Refreshment in the Clubhouse or a small tea bar inside the pitch enclosure.
Weather – beautiful evening on the Isle of Purbeck
Travel – trip down was a mess around Ferndown and Poole .. trip back was a mess on M27 and M275 (latter closed)
Colours – Swans in white tops and black shorts .. Sports in all blue with white trim.

Well after a two and half-hour slog to get there .. Days Park was found and totally enjoyed, with the hosts putting on a well organised game and attracting a decent crowd .. with a small parking area inside the Club grounds but a large public car park adjacent .. Clubhouse set outside of pitch enclosure .. the latter accessible on two sides .. the majority of fans standing on the higher far side of pitch, where tea bar sold the basics and the locals could watch against low barrier and plenty of covered seating behind. Changing rooms allowed access for players on to the pitch from first floor of Clubhouse via staircase .. with no use of far corner terracing or much going on up the far end, save from a few memorial seats .. yes, this was a gem and one that could tell a tale or two, if the ground could speak .. as we settle in for the visit of Merley Cobham Sports, sitting 2nd in the table and still with a possible chance of winning the League .. our hosts comfortable in mid table.

.. and after a shirt pull on seven minutes, the visitors were one down, as the penalty dispatched (see host link) .. but then they settled to hit the cross bar three times and score on 13 with well taken equaliser .. on 18 when rebound was hammered home from a left cross .. then on 57 with a great strike .. leaving them three points behind Hamworth Rec, with just three to play .. they certainly looked a good side and would easily hold their own in the Wessex League .. should they choose to progress .. we wish them and the Swans well in the future.

Hosts penalty - https://twitter.com/.../1116053077163950082

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Apr 12, 2019, 9:37 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #20 of 25 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Skybet EFL Championship
Griffin Park
Brentford 2 Ipswich Town 0
Admission: £28 (print at home ticket) Paper available Attendance: 10,039

In 45+ years of watching football, I've never done Griffin Park and due to its imminent demise, I thought I'd nip along while I'm working in London.
No need to describe the ground, save for a seat in Row E of the New Rd Stand is a terrible place to watch with such a restricted view.
Ipswich were predictably dire; they hit the woodwork on 19 with their best attack (apparently!) and the Bees promptly went down the other end and scored through Maupay on 20. They added a second on 28 through Watkins after a calamitous slip from Downes while in possession.
Other than that, I thought the Bees played well within themselves on what was a progressively cold night. I dipped out with 5 to go to get a 65 to the tube and was back in my hotel by 1010hrs for a 0400 start the next morning.
I also realised its just over 40 years since I last saw the Bees in the FA Cup at Swindon...

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 14, 2019, 10:15 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #21 of 25 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky Bet Championship

Brentford (2) 2 v 0 (0) Ipswich Town

Admission Season Ticket , Programme 3 pounds & 50p , Attendance 10039

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 37
Last New Ground : Haverhill Rovers 9th April 2019

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 14, 2019, 12:14 PM

Post #22 of 25 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Championship
MILLWALL vs Queens Park Rangers
Adm. £22 Con. £9 12 year old Grandson Prog. £3

Certainly the least entertaining Game seen in years, the first half was turgid, Rangers had a game plan which worked well for them, but not for the paying spectator.
Millwall attempted to raise their Game in the second, the same effort and actually had a couple of chances, however Rangers defended well and even thanks to their speedy substitute, had chances themselves.

Final 0-0, Rangers deserved their point for effort, Millwall for their tactics failure didn’t, but it may come in handy !

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2019, 11:43 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #23 of 25 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Skybet EFL Championship
Griffin Park
Brentford 2 Ipswich Town 0
Admission: £28 (print at home ticket) Paper available Attendance: 10,039

In 45+ years of watching football, I've never done Griffin Park and due to its imminent demise, I thought I'd nip along while I'm working in London.
No need to describe the ground, save for a seat in Row E of the New Rd Stand is a terrible place to watch with such a restricted view.
Ipswich were predictably dire; they hit the woodwork on 19 with their best attack (apparently!) and the Bees promptly went down the other end and scored through Maupay on 20. They added a second on 28 through Watkins after a calamitous slip from Downes while in possession.
Other than that, I thought the Bees played well within themselves on what was a progressively cold night. I dipped out with 5 to go to get a 65 to the tube and was back in my hotel by 1010hrs for a 0400 start the next morning.
I also realised its just over 40 years since I last saw the Bees in the FA Cup at Swindon...

Also here, nothing to really add, apart from old boy Alan Judge got a good reception on his return and he did miss a good chance with 10 minutes left, which may have made things a bit interesting if he had scored.

(This post was edited by burgesshillbee on Apr 14, 2019, 11:45 PM)

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Apr 15, 2019, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #24 of 25 (922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North West Counties League Division One North Garstang 2 Avro 1 Admission £3 (concession) Programme £2 Attendance 92

After a nightmare journey up the M6 which at 3 hours 45 minutes took nearly twice as long as it should have done I eventually made my way to the ground half an hour before kick off where I failed to spot that the entrance was accessed by way of a public car park at the town end of the ground. There is a modern clubhouse which also serves as hq for the rugby, cricket, bowls and tennis clubs, all of whose ground/green/pitches are clustered around it. The rugby club's ground is located behind the clubhouse while the cricket club's pitch is beyond the far side which is inaccessible to spectators as there is no hard standing here as yet. It is possible to stand in front of the clubhouse behind the goal with a hard standing path running at an elevation above the pitch for its whole length. It runs behind the dugouts but in front of the tennis and bowls facilities. To meet the requirement for 50 seats there is a decidedly Heath Robinson affair at the entrance end of the ground where a small wooden stand has been built from the corner flag inwards. There are two rows of wooden bench seating here, and beyond this hard standing runs all the way along behind the goal; all of this is of recent construction and is well elevated above the pitch. On the far side of the pitch there is just about enough room for hard standing to be provided in the space between the pitch and the cricket club fence but I am not sure whether the club will do this. There are four floodlight pylons either side of the pitch. Overall especially with the wonderful views over the beautiful countryside this is a charmingly idiosyncratic ground and one I really liked.
This was a hard fought and rather scrappy game with some silly fouls from the visitors although the game improved in quality as it went on. A river runs at the car park end of the pitch hence the ground is known as The Riverside. Fortunately despite having had quite a few games called off this season the ground had dried out well in the recent good weather. Avro were disappointing and were unable to snatch an equaliser despite piling on the pressure in the latter stages of the game. Just Shelley left to do now in this expanded league and home in just over two hours.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Apr 18, 2019, 1:14 AM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #25 of 25 (710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totallyuntamed] Wednesday 10th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Turton 0-2 Horwich St Marys Victoria (0-2 HT) at Thomasson Fold
Bolton Hospital Cup 1st Round
Admission: £3, Programme: None, Tea: £1
Attendance: 68 (h/c)

Nothing massively interesting new nearby this evening so a revisit after a couple of years to this scenic venue. First half was fairly even but lower division Horwich were more clinical, scoring 5 minutes and 20 minutes in. Turton pressured in the second half but were wasteful going forward, so Horwich went through to the quarter finals where they play away at Stoneclough. All of the ground's spectator facilities are located on one side, with hard standing, a raised bit of terrace and a clubhouse/tea bar on the 'entrance' side, which serves hot food/drinks and can/bottled beers including some IPAs which surprised me. Pitch is fully railed off with a banking on the opposite side leading to a reservoir, from which you can see the ground of Old Boltonians where a match against Old Mancunians in the Lancs Amateur League was in progress, as well as a railway viaduct which I believe is just before Entwistle station.

Some photos of the match here: https://photos.google.com/...Q86XpYer4XOWvikIPfti

Grounds visited: 303
Last new ground: Broadfields Stadium (Crawley Town)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3