Saturday 20th April 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bd
Youth Team Regular

Apr 23, 2019, 9:11 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #51 of 64 (2370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Had a good weekend for playing and visiting friendly clubs, although the result not-so-great in this one.

Southern League Premier South
Wimborne (0)1-(0)0 Supermarine
Att: 350

A decent journey down to Wimborne given that it was a Bank Holiday. The bus left Swindon at 10:30 and we made it there in plenty of time with a stop off despite some traffic in the usual hotspots.

Another scorching hot BH Weekend in Wimborne, very similar to the Playoff Final weekend where we won there on penalties last season, but this time the result went Wimborne's way when a poor defensive header was despatched with some gusto by the Magpies midfielder from the edge of the box.

Good fans and good people at Wimborne. The hospitality is excellent.
My only complaint would be that pitch, which looked like it was harder than concrete in places! Other than that and the result, a good day out and will look forward to another return next season.

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 23, 2019, 11:26 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #52 of 64 (2197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Helenic Div 2 East
Long Crendon 0 Yateley United 0
Admission was £6 for this one inc prog, a bit steep really for parks football but they only get one chance. I think a fair few dodged paying though.
BBQ on, cake stall did well, tea and coffee inside and they hed a couple of XT beers on too.
Att 260 ish

I heard that a certain "Tram" was present, leaving me wondering if he will be back to watch the reserves in hope of a goal. I was there some 21 years ago and actually got a programme, although my notes show this was produced for the club to make it a "hoppers game".

So the attendance was 260 but the ground is supposedly not suited if they get promoted for the 50-60 regulars they might attract

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

KevinW
Youth Team Star

Apr 23, 2019, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace

Post #53 of 64 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spartan South Midlands Football League – Premier Division
Roker Park – Official Attendance: 185

Stotfold (0) 0 ………………………………… Biggleswade (2) 3

Also at this game, covered earlier on this thread by Windy. Stotfold, struggling near the foot of the table, certainly didn’t lie down for their title-chasing visitors; it was just a case of Biggleswade being too good for them.

Stotfold’s ground is just about a four-sided ground. Complete circumnavigation on the spectator side of the barrier is obstructed by trees on a very narrow section to the west of the main stand.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 23, 2019, 11:37 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #54 of 64 (1730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North Devon League Prem : Boca Seniors 6 Fremington 2. Attendance : 43 (hc); F&N

Fortunately, Mrs BB fancied a day of retail therapy due to the absence of anything serious in that line in Lynton so we all trooped off to Barnstaple where I tootled down Mill Road to this one. Boca have vacated their previous base at the Tarka Tennis Centre which I understand was not great. The Bocarena is situated behind the ground of Barnstaple Town who I knew were away today so I was surprised at the crowd heading in this direction - most (over 1,000 I was told) were heading to the Devon Cup Final at the adjacent rugby ground where Barnstaple walloped Exmouth; it was possible to watch this if so inclined if you wandered to the far end of Boca's ground. I stopped for a few moments to admire the wonderful large stand which was packed...maybe another day.
There's parking behind the Barnstaple ground which is pay and display but you can carry on through the entrance to Boca's ground where there was ample free parking behind the goal. I was early due to not checking that the 2.30 kick-off advertised in Traveller was wrong and due to the absence of any clubhouse or refreshments at the Bocarena, I wandered off to the nearest pub which was the prosaic Rolle Quay back on the main road; fortunately it was cider weather..
The ground has no hard standing but is railed on three sides with advertising boards aplenty so it has the feel of a proper ground. The fourth side, backing onto the Barnstaple ground is just roped and has an out-of-bounds concrete shelter which looks very old and there's little room on that side in any event.
There was nothing on the game and we had an open first half with four goals shared, the visitors having led twice. The unrelenting heat took its toll on Fremington despite water breaks in both halves, and Boca ran away with it in the second half though the quality on display wasn't great.
My party were located sunning themselves outside the Water Gate spoons and Mrs BB had a worryingly large collection of carrier bags so her objectives for the day had obviously been met. Complete with a takeaway from the excellent Everest Nepalese round the corner, we adjourned to Lynton to continue the evening, all party members content especially the brother in law who'd spent five hours in the sun at the Spoons. Some people............

ciderjon
First Team Star

Apr 24, 2019, 8:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #55 of 64 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Freshford United 6 Hilperton United 1

Trowbridge and District Lge, Div 1
Attn 15 f + n

Browns Park (I am advised) is one of the best grounds in this league. It is tree lined, with an element of railing at the car park end. It's only a few hundred yards off the potholed A36 so didn't find out what the village was like, although there's a railway station.

Plastic, stackable chairs were scattered about in a random fashion, so I nabbed one and tried to look old as I thought they were the teams benches really.First game this calendar year in shirt sleeve order.

At half time the home keeper left to go to work, after much unsuccessful goading the manager gave up on the outfield players and went on in goal himself. After just ten minutes the Hilperton Keeper had to leave the field with an injured knee. Since they had used their only sub, they finished with ten men. Ref declared a TKO and blew up five minutes before time, saying afterwards both captains had agreed.

End of season stuff,but at a really pleasant setting. A very civilised afternoon out.

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 24, 2019, 10:01 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #56 of 64 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ciderjon] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Allendale 1 Mere United 6 (Dorset Senior League) Att: 16 h/c f&n

Closer than it sounds, for the superior visitors only really saw off bottom placed Allendale with three very late goals. This was a lengthy affair, with a succession of injuries leading to a 61 minute first half - the second 52 minutes flew by in comparison. Mere are a fine bunch of footballers but they have a few players whoae attitude to the game leaves a little to be desired, which is a shame, because they are very pleasing on the eye otherwise. Allendale now need a point from their last two games in order to escape bottom place - I wouldn't put money on it happening, I'm afraid.

Allendale play at Redcotts Park, a stone's throw from Wimborne Town's Cuthbury home. It's pleasant and tree lined with benches but no genuine football furniture. Very hot and very enjoyable.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 24, 2019, 4:05 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #57 of 64 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Weston-Super-Mare 0 Hampton & Richmond Borough 2
National Lge South Adm £8 Prog £3 Att 705

Managing to resist the lure of the Hop games down the M4 corridor, Old Knut and I met up with Oftenscore6 to see if the hosts could pull off a miraculous escape and retain their National League status. They huffed and puffed but ultimately lack the guile the break down the visitors. Hampton took the lead after 14 minutes against the run of play and added a second in the last ten minutes to take the points and send WSM down.

Most on here will have done this one. We stood in the large stand behind the goal and the views were decent. There's a low level seated stand along the clubhouse side and some cover behind the other goal. The food outlet seemed to be franchised out with food and drink being a tad pricey. A swift pint in the GBG listed Old Inn at Hutton tided us over until we had a stroll around Gloucester later.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 24, 2019, 4:15 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #58 of 64 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurlow Nunn League First Divison South

Wormley Rovers (1) 2 v 0 (0) Holland

Admission £3 OAP, Programme On line only , Attendance 20

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 40
Last New Ground : Wormley Rovers 20th April 2019

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 6:05 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #59 of 64 (956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thurlow Nunn League Division One North Harleston Town 5 March Town United 1 Admission £2 (concession) Programme £1 Sausage Roll £1 Attendance (headcount) 121
The Wilderness Lane home of Harleston Town is reached by turning left off the main street when coming from the Diss direction where it is a few hundred yards on the right. The facilities here are the most basic of all the newly promoted Step 6 grounds I have visited this season. It is a charming ground but certainly not a Step 6 one. They have done less work on their ground than any of the other newly promoted clubs I have visited and they must be severely limited in terms of what they can do by the fact that the ground is in a public park. At present there are no floodlights and no sign of any being put up, the changing rooms are a long way from the pitch at the far end of the leisure centre which is also on the site, spectators are able to stand on grass on three sides of the pitch, there is no pay box and people wander in to and out of the ground at will - which made counting the crowd very difficult. Clearly an awful lot of work needs to be done if they are to retain their Step 6 status, yet alone be eligible to be promoted to the league above which their on field performances deserve (they are top of the table as I write). The pitch is railed off on all four sides with a small (condemned) stand either side of the halfway line on the far side of the pitch.Dugouts are on the near side of the pitch with an even smaller stand on this side. A small refreshment hut just inside the entrance dispenses cold food and hot (and cold) drinks. There are a few loose plastic chairs on the far side but none in situ anywhere on site. The only hard standing anywhere is on the far side of the pitch. It would be a shame if they were to be demoted as on the pitch they have gathered together a very good team who fought back after an early visitors' goal and a dominant performance by MTU for most of the first half to draw level just before half time and completely dominate the second half, although awful finishing by MTU on numerous occasions severely hampered their chances. An excellent day out with A Pheasant in tow; I do hope that they are able to sort their ground out as they are a worthy addition to this league but there is a huge amount of work to be done.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2019, 7:31 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #60 of 64 (899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

15:00 ~ Evo-Stik Southern Lge Div One South {step 4}
Bristol Manor Farm 4 Fleet Town 1
Admission: £8 / Attendance: 141

Avoided today's uninspiring Hellenic Hop offerings with this visit to The Creek. Dead easy to find, being alongside the A4, but the car park is a pain to get to if you come from the wrong direction... like we did!! Laugh
An interesting ground, with four different bits of cover. I spent the whole 90 minutes watching from the coolness of the old stand on the railway side, as it was a bit too warm for me everywhere else! Blush
No goals in the first half, but it was certainly entertaining after the break.
Afterwards we travelled the short distance to Clifton, for a walk over the impressive suspension bridge.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Apr 25, 2019, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #61 of 64 (848 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A drive down to The Pavilion. KO 3.00pm.

Southern Combination Football League Premier.

LINGFIELD 0 (0) v (1) LANGNEY WANDERERS 3

Scorers.

Home. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Away. A Davison (28) P Cooper (61) M Hollobone (66)

Admission £5 including programme. Attendance 54.

GROUNDS VISITED.(375) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (6)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (11)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Three Bridges v Ramsgate. 12/10/19. (0) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 7:26 AM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #62 of 64 (767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I departed my accommodation in Gloucester & drove into the city & had a good time exploring the City. I liked Gloucester, a nice city. I also managed to get inside Kingsholm stadium, home of Gloucester RUFC. Apparently the reserves were playing Harlequins later on.

I then drove to Pershore & had a brief wander & as its Easter had a hot cross bun. I’d seen the ground before.

West Midlands Regional League Premier Division
Pershore Town ‘88 6 (8, 29, 76, 81, 83 & 92+ pen)
Wem Town 0
KO: 15:00 Att: 111 h/c Cost: £5 Progs available

Venue: Community Stadium, King George’s Way, Pershore
Hot & sunny. I was a bit surprised that WT had arrived by coach with a number of supporters.
4 floodlight poles each side & fully railed. Behind one goal is really just 2 rows for parking. Bushes & trees with houses beyond. One side has white clubhouse in most of one half with picnic tables/chairs with slight overhang on h/s area. Remainder has h/s path. Straddling half-way line is covered stand with 5 rows of wooden benches. Other side has grass area with railings behind. Across road is supermarket car park & beyond is the abbey. Opposite is h/s path with temporary see through fencing. Behind is a 2nd pitch with a river with boats & trees/bushes. Other goal has h/s path slight raised grass area & behind temp see through fencing is grass area. There’s a small offshoot of the river. In corner is a small leisure centre. A lot of people passing by watched the game at various stages.

Match: 14th v 18th out of 20
Hot & sunny. WT gk came rushing out on 7mins & committed a foul & received just a yellow card. From the free kick a header opened the scoring. WT were denied by the gk on 13mins. PT player managed to stay on his feet & score. A chance on 33mins should’ve been closer. Shots 5-4.

On 46:44 PT had shot saved by gk’s leg. On 49mins WT came close when a defender cleared off the line & then the gk made a save. PT shot just wide on 63mins & a couple of mins later WT saw a corner headed towards goal but the gk saved it. On 72mins they shot just over. The game could’ve gone either way but WT then fell apart. A long kick by PT gk saw player in on goal & not the sweetest of shots saw the ball roll into the net. Less than 5mins later a short pack pass was slotted in for the 4th goal. 171 seconds later a mix up between gk & defender saw James Astley complete his hat trick. On 89mins he should’ve got a 4th but shot went wide. On 90+mins the gk was out & from near the half-way line the shot went just wide. There was still time for a penalty to be converted. Shots 11-7.

Score was a bit harsh on WT.

I then headed for Coventry Skydome for the 2nd time this season. This was an International 3-team tournament. On Friday also here Italy beat GB 5-2.
Hungary 6 (2,2,2)
Italy 1 (1,0,0)
Face off 19:00, Cost: £10, tournament programme available at £5 I think, Att: 205 h/c, a lot more supporting HUN. Walking to the stadium I saw the 2 small groups of the GB team. They watched game in a separate area.
They scored after 9 seconds & 58 seconds.
Started at 19:01 & ended at 21:07.

On Sunday at Milton Keynes GB beat Hungary 3-1 I think.

I then drove to Tewkesbury & ended up parking outside Wetherspoons but used the kebab shop next door. It was a bit too late to get a meal there I thought.

richiejenn
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 10:05 AM

Team(s):

Post #63 of 64 (684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Saturday 20th April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 20th April 2019 @3pm
SCEFL Premier Division
HOLLANDS & BLAIR 3-0 RUSTHALL
Star Meadow, Gillingham
Admission: £7
Programme: free with admission
Attendance: 116

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 18, 2019, 3:47 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #64 of 64 (196 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hellenic Div 2 East
Stokenchurch 0 Chalfont Wasps 3
Hellenic Div 2 East
Long Crendon 0 Yateley United 0

Just to add what a great day it was at the Hellenic Hop. This was a day I had been looking forward to as I particularly wanted to tick Long Crendon in their home village, and I was glad to have managed it especially in such sunny weather. (Mind you, had it been raining, then we might at least have been spared the biblical plague of flying insects that were such a nuisance that afternoon. Just why the insects were confined to the football ground and not anywhere else in the village is a mystery though.)

I also attended the morning game at Stokenchurch, but had to give the afternoon game at Chinnor a miss in order to be able to have time to travel on the number 40 bus between Stokenchurch and Thame. Thame town centre is not much more than more than 30 minutes walk from Long Crendon, although there is also an hourly bus service between the two places. In any case, I had already ticked the old pitch at Chinnor and am reluctant to visit the new one until it has been fully enclosed by a solid fence to separate it from the rest of the recreation ground (I pass it regularly on the 40 bus route when going to Oxford United home games and although this route only uses single-deck vehicles, the new pitch is very briefly visible through a gap between houses so I am well placed to keep track of any progress in this respect.)

And of course, many thanks to Groundhop UK and the participating clubs for their excellent organisation of the event.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Sep 18, 2019, 8:52 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3