Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 21st April 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Apr 21, 2019, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 10 (3031 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 21st April 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

North West Womens Regional Premier Division. KO 14:00. (F&N). Crowd 35.

Wigan Athletic 1 v 6 Stockport County

Match played at the Abraham Guest High School 4G. Basic synthetic pitch with no standing area inside the cage. Spectators were allowed to watch from inside though.

It took league leaders County 42 minutes to break the deadlock and despite constant pressure they were unable to add to the total before the half time break.

Three goals in the first 10 minutes of the second half effectively finished the game as a contest. After adding a 5th, Wigan converted a penalty but conceded again within a couple of minutes. Good game with water breaks in the heat.

Full time has the result as 1-5 but I concur with the County twitter.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Apr 21, 2019, 7:06 PM

Post #2 of 10 (2840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Llanidloes Town 6 Radnor Valley 2

Y Weirglodd: Aspidistra Radnorshire Cup Final

Having lifted this trophy last season, for the first time in their 98-year history, Radnor Valley were aiming to successfully defend the silverware against their MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League First Division rivals at Rhayader Town's headquarters. A Steve Morgan goal was enough to defeat local rivals Knighton Town 1-0 at Llanandras Park to secure the county cup. Llanidloes Town were appearing in their first final for two years, when they were beaten by Llandrindod Wells, and aiming to lift the Radnorshire Cup for the second time in their history. The Daffs only previous success in the competition was when they defeated Vale of Arrow in the 1995/96 season at Llandrindod Wells' Broadway ground. The two teams has shared the honours in their two league meetings this season, with Radnor Valley enjoying a 3-2 victory at Victoria Avenue in August, whilst the Daffs enjoyed a 3-2 success at School Lane in January. Llanidloes Town are aiming for success on two fronts, as the Montgomeryshire club found themselves at the summit of the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League First Division, following Friday evening's 2-1 victory at Aberaeron Town. The Daffs travel to Tywyn/Bryncrug next Saturday, knowing that they needed a victory to keep their title hopes alive, but recognising that Llanfair United could still pip them to the silverware on goal difference if they won their final two fixtures. Radnor Valley were amongst the leading protagonists in the First Division, following the first couple of months of the campaign, but have endured a poor run of form since bowing out of the Welsh Cup in late October. The Goats came into this final on the back of a 3-1 reverse at Tywyn/Bryncrug on Friday evening. Llanidloes Town had overcome Newbridge, Presteigne St Andrews and Hay St Mary's en route to the final, whilst the holders had defeated Talgarth Town and Llandrindod Wells following a bye in the opening round of the competition.

Llanidloes Town made the perfect start to this sun-drenched final when Greg Brown was picked out in space on the left flank before cutting inside and lobbing Will Fowden from the edge of the Goats' penalty area. Radnor valley attempted to respond immediately as Joey Price was denied by a well-timed challenge three minutes later before Adam farmer headed wide from a 10th minute corner. Joey Price struck a 25 yard free-kick straight at the Daffs' goalkeeper three minutes later but the New Radnor men were unable to find an equaliser. Harry Clarke headed over from a 35th minute free-kick swung into the Radnor valley penalty area before Peter Rees doubled the lead two minutes later. Greg Brown's cross into the penalty area but played into the goal mouth and the former Carno striker was on hand to find the back of the net and hand Llanidloes Town a 2-0 interval advantage. The Goats could not have made a worse start to the second-half when they conceded a third goal only four minutes after the restart. Fowden saved an initial effort from a dangerous corner swung into the goal mouth but he was powerless to prevent Gareth Owen forcing the ball over the line from close range. Radnor Valley, to their credit, responded straight after the kick-off when Geraint Lloyd was on hand to convert an inviting Joey Price cross from out on the left touchline. The Daffs regained their three-goal advantage in the 57th minute when the Goats' failed to deal with a long throw into the penalty area and Jordan Jones was on hand to turn the loose ball into the net. The match was virtually over as a contest four minutes later when Ashley Owen struck a screamer past Fowden to make it 5-1. Joey Price reduced the deficit after latching on to a 70th minute through ball before sliding it past the advancing goalkeeper. Substitute Callum Davies forced the Daffs custodian to turn his low 20 yard effort behind for a corner three minutes latter before Llanidloes Town went close from a 25 yard free-kick in the 881st minute. The scoring was completed four minutes later when Brown pounced on a defensive error by the Goats and lifted ball over the head of Fowden with the Radnor Valley goalkeeper off his line and send the Daffs to their second success in this competition.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 790
Matches: 176
New Grounds: 16

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Apr 21, 2019, 7:33 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BOURTON ROVERS v Headington Amateurs. Kick off: 11.00. Result 3-1. Admission & programme £5. Attendance: 278.

Another wonderful occasion from those fine folk at Groundhop U.K. The sun shone, the food was plentiful (the banana cake was a particular favourite of mine) and the football, if not overly fabulous, was entertaining enough with only a goal late doors guaranteeing the points for Bourton.

It's the social side of these events I enjoy with the chance to catch up with hoppers I haven't seen for ages like a former poster who last time I saw him was a body double for Cyril Smith but could now be a poster boy for Oxfam. Fortunately the 'Bobby Sands Diet' has in no way diminished his credentials as the worlds foremost authority on the Oxford by-pass and at the final whistle I had a far greater appreciation of traffic flows on the A34 than I had at kick off.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2019, 10:46 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #4 of 10 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Moreton Rangers 0 Adderbury Park 1, Hellenic League Division 2 West, Att: 384, Admission: £2, Prog: £1

On the way down to the Southern residence for a well-earned week away from work, 'er indoors gave me a pass to do this one. Moreton were presented with the Division 2 West trophy prior to the game but in truth the visitors looked sharper throughout and deserved their victory, earned with a strike from the edge of the box midway through the second half. Moreton have a neat ground with cover on the half way line, though its usefulness is somewhat limited by the construction of a glass-fronted bar in one half of the stand. Good to see plenty of familiar faces and the usual excellent organisation of Groundhop UK. Pre-match refreshments courtesy of The Bell in the village.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on Apr 21, 2019, 11:21 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 21, 2019, 11:15 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #5 of 10 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Bourton. Title had already been wrapped up by Moreton Rangers but both of teams still had a chance of finishing 2nd. Hosts led 1-0 at the break, 2-0 early in the second half before the visitors puled one back, only for the hosts to restore their 2 goal advantage late on. Both 2nd and 3rd goals by the hosts looked like they were meant as crosses from the left wing but the ball found its way straight into the net. Two sides of the ground railed off, the other two sides not even roped and enclosed by hedges which divides the football and cricket pitch on the near side where there are also two dugouts and very tight space between the touchline and the hedge where those less keen on the hot sunny weather were watching in the shade. With plenty of time before the next game went to explore the village, or is it a town? The place was jam packed with tourists, most of whom were snapping up every available blade of grass on the bank of the small river running through the centre. The cricket club must have done a roaring trade charging £3 for parking. Onto the next game:

1415 - Hellinic League 2 West
Moreton Rangers 0-1 Adderbury Park
Attendance 384 - admission & programme by hop ticket.

Hosts were presented with the Championship Winners' Shield before the game but the visitors, who still have a chance of finishing 2nd, came to spoil the party scoring the only goal in the 65th minute with a close range effort past the outstretched arms of the keeper into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Ground has seen better days. The hardstanding from when the old Moreton Town and AFC Newport were in residence had been removed. There is a sizeable covered terrace just inside the entrance which may once have had seats in and the clubhouse is built into part of it.

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 21, 2019, 11:51 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #6 of 10 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Third Amateur ACFF A. (Belgium)
RFC Rapid Synthorinois 0-0 RC Brainois
Admission €8, Attendance ~250. No Prog, but easily possible to get a team list

This post, with pictures can be seen at http://www.facebook.com/leo.hoenig

Switching to Belgium for Ground 4001, I went to Saint-Symphorien – just outside Mons and not much over one hour’s travelling from my overnight rest. The place itself does not come to much, it is not apart from the built-up areas of Mons, and has a small centre with a church and a café. The ground is right on the edge of the village. It has a small covered area along one side, while the rest is for standing only. By the standards I am used to in Belgium, the bar area is quite small, and unusually the lady is selling match tickets here. You pass through the bar to get pitch side.

The bar itself is selling for cash – at most grounds, the cash desk is separate to the bar and you collect tokens for your drink. It is a system I have always found works well as I can pay up for the half time coffee before the game starts. This in turn speeds up the selling process at the break, unless you suddenly realise you have to queue twice.

Many of the clubs in Belgium manage a great deal of success in persuading local companies to add a little sponsorship, and erect the boards on high scaffolding in prominent areas. This one has less of this, and the sponsors boards are used as infill for the barrier, and there are still some gaps around the pitch. Typically, there is a floodlit training area and second pitch behind one goal, with a third pitch visible behind this.

The floodlight pylons for the second pitch are old concrete type, while the main playing area has the modern, thin and metal pylons. It has been quite common for teams to have floodlights for training and on secondary pitches, while not providing them on the main surface.

The game gives me the third scoreless draw in the five matches on this mini-trip to France and Belgium. It is, however by far the most entertaining game of the quintet. The reasons for this were quite simple – both teams were quite committed at all times to trying to win the game. The tactics they used were also those that amateur players can comply with. Get the ball forward and make sure that there are people in the danger zone when you deliver the ball.

There are still more than a few pointless shots from distance that end up miles from the target, but defences have to work a lot harder than in the French amateur and semi-professional levels to clear the lines.
It is also a relief to see a wide player and his full back work together on the wing, so as trying to beat a defender and put a cross in is not the only option. (It appears to be compulsory in France). The simple act of touching the ball back a couple of yards when you route is blocked by two defenders means the ball is delivered to the area far more frequently.

The visitors, RCS Brainois came into the game two points ahead of Union Namur at the top of the table, with two games to play. A visiting supporter I spoke to told me they had already missed several chances to tie up the title.
Despite having to wait on one of their players, Brainois had the better of the first period and a good deal of the second. After picking up a copy of the team sheet, I had to ask as the Brainois team was a player short. I was informed the player who they were waiting on was Mathieu Vlaminck, a tall blonde striker who I felt was a Peter Crouch wannabee. He came closest in the first period, hitting the post. The photo of him is of this incident.
However, at the end of the game the force was with the home team and it would have been very plausible to see them snatch the win. The change in fortune occurred when Oumar Traore came on as substitute, and although his first attempt to strike the ball resulted in a mishit that went off for a throw on, he forced a fantastic block from the visiting keeper minutes later and later was brought down for a professional foul (or whatever this is called in an amateur league), meaning Brainois’ Natan Schallon left the pitch a couple of minutes before his team mates.

At 75 minutes, the referee called a short stop for the crowd to give a short round of applause. I was not sure exactly what this was for, but it appeared to be connected with home keeper Michael Cordier, who wore number 75.
Despite this, six substitutions, a sending off and the trainer on the field about three times, there was not a second of added time, leaving many of the visiting fans feeling short-changed as they needed the win. My feeling was that if we were to get a goal in those missing few minutes, it would have left Brainois without even the point they gained

I used to know the intricacies of promotion and relegation in Belgium, and it was always one of the most complex in Europe. At least when the national leagues were in a 1-1-2-4 pyramid, with no geographical constraints, every team had the same process to go through to gain promotion or avoid relegation.

The current reform came at a time when my number of trips to the country were tailing off, for mainly practical reasons. The new pyramid is formatted 1-1-1-3-4 and gets more complex because of the split in Flanders and Wallonia.

The top two divisions are the professional league. I say two, but it is really just one and a half as the lower division gets by with just eight teams.
The third level, also National is called the First Amateur League. In reality, this is fully semi-professional and quite a good standard of football, teams and stadiums. Subject to licensing rules, there is promotion and relegation between this level and the professional leagues.

A team relegated from the First Amateur League drops to the Second Amateur League, which has three divisions, two for Flanders, and one only for Wallonia. The logic for this was that there are more Flemish clubs than Wallonian. Certainly, when I was picking up the teams at the third and fourth levels in the old league, I did spend more time in the Flemish speaking areas.

The next level down is the Third Amateur League, which has two division in each region. This means that for a team at third level in Flanders, there is a choice of two leagues to be promoted to, while in Wallonia, there is only one division of the Second Amateur League, restricting promotion places. Still, all champions go up along with at least one play-off winner.

The play-offs still give places to period champions, and at this level (30 game season), the three periods are the first ten games, games 11-20 and the final ten games. A postponement does not change the period a game is in. RCS Brainois won both the first two period titles, so are guaranteed a shot through the play-offs whatever may occur in the championship
Still, this result drops them behind Union Namur for the first time this season, and the play-offs are not the place for a off form team to try and rescue their season.

An odd twist is that while this is the first season at this level for RCS Brainois, promoted from the provincial leagues last season, Namur were due to be relegated not just to the top provincial league (as they ended in a relegation place), but one division more for financial reasons. They rescued their place at the fifth tier table, (as opposed to 7th) with a close season merger with Fosses-la-Ville who had managed to win promotion from the provincial league to the Third Amateur. Hence the official name of the Namur team is now Union Royal Namur Fosses-la-Ville

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

mxhornet
First Team Star

Apr 22, 2019, 6:50 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #7 of 10 (1985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sprowston Athletic Ladies - 5 Beccles Town Ladies - 0
Norfolk Women's & Girls League Division One
Blue Boar Lane
Attendance - 25ish
Admission - free
Programme - none issued

Though SA needed a point to be safe from any threat of relegation versus BT who were confirmed as down and finishing bottom this game did have a bit more on it as they play each other in the final of the league's plate competition in a fortnight. The game was rather scrappy not helped by the bumpy nature of the pitch, SA led 1-0 at half time courtesy of a 13th minute goal. It remained a close game before SA got a grip of the game with goals coming on 58, 64, 73 and 83 minutes.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

bd
Youth Team Regular

Apr 23, 2019, 8:57 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #8 of 10 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mxhornet] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brimscombe & Thrupp (1)4-(0)0 Abingdon United
Hellenic League Premier
£5 entry

Having driven past Brimscombe & Thrupp's ground hundreds of times, I finally got around to watching a game there as part of the Hellenic hop and am now wondering why it took me so long. A really welcoming, friendly football club with a small clubhouse, situated in the picturesque little village in a valley.

It was a gorgeous evening for it with the sun still beating down in the Gloucestershire sky and with the smell of a BBQ over the crowd it made for a pleasant evening's entertainment, even if I had eaten a Roast earlier in the day!

Enjoyed the view from the very high vantage point of the main stand up on the hill in the second half as well as down in the valley by the dugout and behind the goal in amongst the trees and spent the first half at the top of "The Green Wall" at the car park end that B+T were attacking which made for some great viewing.

Didn't think B+T looked like a team gunning for promotion and Abingdon didn't look like a team finishing bottom.

Definitely one for a revisit, although I can imagine, it's probably not as welcoming or enjoyable when the weather sets in down there!

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 25, 2019, 4:56 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #9 of 10 (586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Sunday 21st April 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

11:00 ~ UHLSPORT Hellenic Lge Div Two West {step 7}
Bourton Rovers 3 Headington Amateurs 1
Admission: £4 / Attendance: 378 {official}

"The place was jam packed with tourists, most of whom were snapping up every available blade of grass on the bank of the small river running through the centre. The cricket club must have done a roaring trade charging £3 for parking." - which could easily be avoided by parking in a side street just past the ground!

14:15 ~ UHLSPORT Hellenic Lge Div Two West {step 7}
Moreton Rangers 0 Adderbury Park 1
Admission: £2 / Attendance: 384

"Ground has seen better days. The hardstanding from when the old Moreton Town and AFC Newport were in residence had been removed. There is a sizeable covered terrace just inside the entrance which may once have had seats in and the clubhouse is built into part of it." - I always find it interesting going to venues that used to be much higher up the football ladder, and this place didn't disappoint.

18:00 ~ UHLSPORT Hellenic Lge Premier Div {step 5}
Brimscombe & Thrupp 4 Abingdon United 0
Admission: £5 / Attendance: 403

"Having driven past Brimscombe & Thrupp's ground hundreds of times, I finally got around to watching a game there as part of the Hellenic hop and am now wondering why it took me so long. A really welcoming, friendly football club with a small clubhouse, situated in the picturesque little village in a valley." - A lovely quirky venue, and certainly the pick of the 5 Hellenic grounds I visited this Easter.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Apr 25, 2019, 6:20 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #10 of 10 (529 views)
Shortcut

Another one at Bourton Rovers, my only dip into this hop. Well described by previous posters this is a pleasant enough ground to visit but £3 for the car park, £4 to enter and £1 for a very basic programme was rather a lot of money to pay for a game at this level where the two teams did their best but although there was a lot of endeavour there wasn't a great deal of skill on show. The visitors huffed and puffed to little effect but they were thwarted time and time again by the excellent home keeper.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3