Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Wednesday 1st May

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

villan
First Team Star

May 2, 2019, 6:14 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #26 of 33 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I could not agree more that at step 7 & below especially at this time of the year then just relying on websites alone for games & their venue is very risky & I would not venture any real distance without making contact with a club official. This certainly bore fruit for me on Wednesday. Plan A was Notts. Senior division 1 Bridgford Utd at Highfield sports but on speaking with sec he advised me game switched to Jubilee Campus 3g. I presume a cage but I have not heard of venue so it had no interest as a temporary venue to take advantage of floodlights existing. Plan B was Cuffley & it took 2-3 calls to get a response which was game had been reversed to Belstone because Cuffley had hosted reverse fixture when Belstone could not do so. This all took under 30mins research & I still had time to move on to Plan c & I am really glad it worked out that way.

Welsh league division 2 Pontardawe Town 2-0 Swansea University ADM £4 including programme ATT H/C 57 variable

This was an excellent advert for Welsh league football with 2 fully committed sides going for the win. SU looked the classier side but did not have the cutting edge to impose their early superiority. PT grew into game & their hard work & teamwork both at back & then breaking forward started to pay dividends & they took lead on 32 hit home from close range. It took until 80mins for 2nd to make points safe following a fine move. These 3 points mean hosts still have chance of claiming 3rd promotion spot but need to win the 4 games they have left to be in with a chance & also obtain certificate they need for tier 2 ground.
The venue is tidy & a pleasant place on a nice sunny evening. Plenty of parking at leisure centre which looks a bit stark/stalagesque. I did not venture in but ground is a decent walk behind it & beyond a 3g cage. There is closer parking but for players & officials only. The signage for entry needs improving because it is opposite side to where the closer parking exists. The changing rooms are on same side as closer parking & on opposite side of pitch are now 3 atcost type stands in a line giving 150seats required. Rest of ground is hard standing with rail on all sides. A tea/burger wagon exists near spectator entrance. Pleasant views of local hills/countryside around ground a stark contrast to approach to leisure centre through typical out of town retail park/food outlets etc & the leisure centre itself. The club has a friendly feel & Secretary was helpful with saving a programme & team details & everyone involved with club were very pleasant. An excellent evening was capped off with a visit to Pontardawe inn & Dinas Rock Hotel in Glynneath were again the hospitality was superb & invitation to help ourselves to spread provided for the earlier quiz. Champion beer Diggers Gold was excellent from Grey Trees. My enjoyment was only slightly diminished with M 50 being closed at Ross.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 26

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 7:19 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #27 of 33 (2436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Wednesday 1st May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
18:45 ~ York FL, League Senior Cup QF
Rawcliffe 0 Copmanthorpe 2 {23' 49'}
f&n, att. 40 h/c (inc. 6 hoppers)
The Premier League visitors, in the bottom half of that division, looked a class above the hosts who lie third in Division One. They kept possession well and looked physically stronger throughout the team, scoring in each half, the second being the result of a defensive howler.
Rawcliffe is on the north side of the city and the Recreation Ground is a basic facility with a car park and changing block behind one goal and a concrete path running along the nearside touchline. There's another pitch at the far end of the field.

Also at this game (1 of the 6!) the SEMI-FINALS have been arranged for next Wednesday...
18:15 COPMANTHORPE v OLD MALTON ST. MARY'S
18:45 EASINGWOLD TOWN v DUNNINGTON

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 3, 2019, 10:14 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #28 of 33 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Juniors West, Championship
Darvel 1-0 Larkhall Thistle
@ Hurlford Utd's Blair Park

h/c 90
£6 in, £1 raffle (to be invited to try to hit the crossbar from the centre spot), Killie pie(s) £2 each. No paper.

The second of three that Darvel will play here whilst their own ground undergoes pitch & buildings improvements in time for next season, including adding a fence to keep the rabbits off. I had only discovered the first that matchday morning when a change of plans would have been awkward, and the third (Sat 11 May) I know I'll have to be down in Englandshire, so today's was a 'must-do' bracketed tick despite it being over 3 hours drive from the office. Thankfully, the boss was away at a meeting, so sneaking out of the door in time was possible.

Also tempted along were Scott of this forum and his pal Alan, chatting with whom a pleasant sunny evening was spent whilst we waited for a goal in what had been expected to be a more one-sided contest - Larkhall have been struggling after most of their promotion squad left rather than play in a regionwide division. But in the opinion of Alan this was their best performance of the season.

Panic on the half hour - a Darvel player got a nasty injury. Touch and go whether the ref would call it off. It would have been annoying to have successfully got here only for it to be an A-A which would of course not count and would therefore have required a serious change of plans to come again on the 11th. But after a 7-mineute hold up it was possible to lift him on to the stretcher and we restarted. Took a long while for the ambulance to show up though. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Could have been home for midnight, but the Bon Accord is so close to the motorway that the car couldn't resist turning off, where a couple of halves new to me were accompanied by Messi's masterclass on the TV.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

May 3, 2019, 11:52 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #29 of 33 (1559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [APL] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

''If you replied to all those who ‘no longer bother’ posting on here, then you’ll need a lot of time... ''

=====================================

Still trying to work that out ?

====================================

It's such a shame that those who no longer post STILL use the site and glean much information without giving anything back.

I've started a blog which will be full of info , I will post some on here but not all , I really am beginning to dislike the idea of certain people getting information they can use.

They know who they are. Such a shame they can't / won't reply to this.

===================================

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on May 3, 2019, 12:14 PM)

APL
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 1:23 PM

Post #30 of 33 (1387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

====================================

It's such a shame that those who no longer post STILL use the site and glean much information without giving anything back.

I've started a blog which will be full of info , I will post some on here but not all , I really am beginning to dislike the idea of certain people getting information they can use.

They know who they are. Such a shame they can't / won't reply to this.

===================================

With there being no fee to access the site, there will always be those who will do nothing but take. Obviously you can never force anyone to post info, but they are quite happy to glean the info for free. As you are well aware, many people have been driven from using the site (but still come on and read it, despite what they try and tell anyone who is prepared to listen) for whatever reason and the amount of posters these days does appear to be down. I, for one, never post anything in WDYG anymore, as to quote a certain poster “standing in a field just for the sake of crunching a number” is of no interest to most on here, or so he keeps telling us, but I do post in WAYG if I find out that a match is off etc.
If you come on here and make a comment to a post, even if it is in a humorous way, you are accused of ‘having a pop’. To be honest there are plenty of reasons to comment to quite a few posts (which is not helped when the OCD kicks in) but the spelling mistakes, poor grammar, etc.do grate after a while, but that just shows how the standard of education has declined.(spelling Atletico Madrid with an H in the prefix for example, or calling a club Bayern Munich, or not using Roman numerals when you have seen the III team, rather than the 111) I know the last bit is a bit of a pointless rant, as many won’t understand the point being made.

Good luck in getting the lurkers to come out of hiding though.

TongueTongue

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-5-8-21-173-303-254

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

(This post was edited by APL on May 3, 2019, 3:16 PM)

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 6:23 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #31 of 33 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Southern League Division 1 West Playoff Semi-Final
Cirencester Town (0)1-(0)2 Cinderford Town
Att: 411
Entry £10

Cinderford travelled across Gloucestershire knowing that even with victory in this and a final would not see them promoted, however, they dominated proceedings at the Corinium in what was a reasonably entertaining game of football. Not much to shout about in a tight first half with both teams cancelling each other out, however, the game came to life in the second half with Alan Griffin's acrobatic finish to put the hosts ahead.

This was quickly cancelled out by The Forester's who struck back through Craig Norman as the Cirencester defence was opened up and then hit a devastating 90th minute winner when it appeared the young Ciren keeper made the save, but ended up in the back of the net with the ball somehow. Looked from my vantage point like he should have just parried it after not really catching much all night long under heavy aerial bombardment and crowding at every opportunity from the visiting side.

Ciren have now missed out 2 years on the trot, (falling short last year on the last day and now finishing 2nd and losing a semi) despite being one of the highest scoring and entertaining teams to watch both seasons. Clearly missed the influential Ben Whitehead up front with Owen Windsor well marshalled by the 2 savvy Cinderford centre halves.[/reply

Also at this. From my view up that end the winning goal was a header that looked to everyone around me that it was going to loop over, but then dropped to catch the keeper by surprise who got some fingers to it but it touched crossbar/post on way in.
Thought the game high on quality for Step 4, and the 4G pitch played superbly. Attendance given of 411 highly dubious, 550+ I'd have said.

2019-20 - 45 games, last Chepstow T v STM Sports - 16/11, goals 146, avgpg 3.24, new grounds 12. Last - Chepstow Town 16/11.
New Grounds in 2019 - 26. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1219.
RL Grounds - 34 (Last - Craven Park, Barrow - 8/9/19), Speedway Tracks 50.

Karen Browne
First Team Sub

May 3, 2019, 10:02 PM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #32 of 33 (828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [APL] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Good luck in getting the lurkers to come out of hiding though.

TongueTongue

Damm my cover has been blown

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

May 6, 2019, 1:55 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #33 of 33 (414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Wednesday 1st May [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Southern League Division 1 West Playoff Semi-Final
Cirencester Town (0)1-(0)2 Cinderford Town
Att: 411
Entry £10

+1 for here - brief chat (as ever Wink) with WBP on the way out

Directions/Facilities: previous visit here about 3 1/2 yrs back - wasn't 3/4G then but no other noticeable changes - maybe the cover is a bit tidier than before?.

Other than being slightly confused by the new signage for exit layout off the A419 - A417 (either that or my SatNav caved in at this point) got to Kingshill Lane from the northern exit into Ciren.

Overflow parking in the big field at the back - surprised to pick up one of the last progs inside the turnstiles at about 19:30 ish.
Bar staff coped very well with the big crowd.

Match: for a side with the disappointment of a PO appearance but no prospect of advancement, Cinderford were laudably committed to getting something from this.
Wondered why a side that had racked up over 100 goals looked pretty impotent up front - the absence of Ciren's main man explains it somewhat.

Big diversion on the way home - A419 closed nr M4 so had to divert off west through Sw!nedon - needed petrol anyway and had rather nursed the car there on fumes.

.... the upside of this was the distinctly personal pleasure of a good hours' listening to Messrs Goldstein and Cundy: wallowing in the torment of every Scouser phoning in, whining about the injustice of being hammered, whilst somehow insisting they were the better team in Barcelona ! SlySly

...and as for their gripes about how horrible a man Suarez is - well 'The Biter Bit' - in no uncertain terms there! LaughLaugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3