Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 3, 2019, 1:38 PM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #1 of 18 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Election results Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well all spin
Here in Bolsover Labour lost control, first time since 1970, Amber Valley, Labour gain.
Perhaps it just shows the change in politics.
Always undecided on Brexit until the day, and with some reluctance voted to leave
The two main parties and their MPs have let democracy down even if you voted remain
Labour day both things at the same time, Tories split also
My view is the .pre pro remain parties have gained but not that simple

leohoenig
Administrator

May 3, 2019, 2:10 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 18 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Down in my neck of the woods (at least for when I am in England), the Lib Dems have had great success.
I'm not certain this is an anti-Brexit vote (although the area was Remain), but more a reaction to the mess the Tories make of National (and also local) government.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

derekn
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 2:56 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #3 of 18 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lib Dems are unequivocally pro-Europe, so their huge gains can only mean Brexit has to be cancelled. Good.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 3, 2019, 4:21 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #4 of 18 (1297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here in Trafford, Labour have been very successful, taking overall control of the council for the first time since 2002, amid rumours that Sir Graham Brady will scuttle off in search of a safer seat. The Greens and Lib Dems also made gains, while my local councillor Andrew Western, who is also the council leader and hopes to take Brexit supporting Brady's seat, had made noises about supporting a second referendum.

However, much of the media spin all this as a revolt by pro-Brexit voters in the north, ignoring those northern areas where the opposite applies...

As Matty implied, we might be on to a bigger realignment in politics. I have forgotten who it was, but a pundit said this was reminiscent of the shift in the former Confederacy in the USA where white voters deserted the Democrats for the Republicans in the sixties and seventies.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on May 3, 2019, 4:29 PM)

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 3, 2019, 4:34 PM

Post #5 of 18 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Here in Trafford, Labour have been very successful, taking overall control of the council for the first time since 2002, amid rumours that Sir Graham Brady will scuttle off in search of a safer seat. The Greens and Lib Dems also made gains, while my local councillor Andrew Western, who is also the council leader and hopes to take Brexit supporting Brady's seat, had made noises about supporting a second referendum.

However, much of the media spin all this as a revolt by pro-Brexit voters in the north, ignoring those northern areas where the opposite applies...

As Matty implied, we might be on to a bigger realignment in politics. I have forgotten who it was, but a pundit said this was reminiscent of the shift in the former Confederacy in the USA where white voters deserted the Democrats for the Republicans in the sixties and seventies.

Well we are revolting Northerners!
The result here is worth taking note of, though the picture is mixed.
Think it's split government and loose coalitions

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

May 3, 2019, 4:36 PM

Post #6 of 18 (1268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well the people have spoken based on Brexit!

Remain up a lot!

Leave down a lot!

Bring on the peoples vote!

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 3, 2019, 4:59 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #7 of 18 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The football season is about to finish...

...Pompey are gonna balls it up in the play-offs again...

...and ĎGeneral Chatí has got ANOTHER political thread Unsure.

Iím off to bed until August...

leohoenig
Administrator

May 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 18 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You could just ignore the political threads and keep telling us about pubs and record shops
I think you have to give up on "crisis at Oxford United" for a while

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 3, 2019, 6:28 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #9 of 18 (1152 views)
Shortcut

Deleted after being told there were no elections in London.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 3, 2019, 7:01 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 18 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Tories -1223
Labour -81

Bad night for Labour

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

May 3, 2019, 8:09 PM

Post #11 of 18 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Deleted after being told there were no elections in London.

Now its not like Boris to tell lies now is it?

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Ronsdog
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 11:43 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #12 of 18 (944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Lib Dems are unequivocally pro-Europe, so their huge gains can only mean Brexit has to be cancelled. Good.

Had I had the opportunity to vote, ( London local elections were not fought this time around ) my cross may well have been placed in the Lib Dem box, as they are the natural refuge of the protest vote and generally far better at running local councils. Nationally as has been noted by various posters on other threads they still have to live down the tuition fees debacle. Far too early to read much into their results last night.

Yesterday was a local vote and only after the Euro elections can any real case be made for their national resurgence. It will be interesting to see how they fare in that contest. The Labour Party seem to have lost touch with their Pro Brexit working class voters and remain reliant on the Metropolitan Middle classes to sustain their momentum......

Consequently I would expect the Brexit party to clean up at the next National election.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 4, 2019, 12:52 AM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #13 of 18 (899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Had I had the opportunity to vote, ( London local elections were not fought this time around ) my cross may well have been placed in the Lib Dem box, as they are the natural refuge of the protest vote and generally far better at running local councils. Nationally as has been noted by various posters on other threads they still have to live down the tuition fees debacle. Far too early to read much into their results last night.

Yesterday was a local vote and only after the Euro elections can any real case be made for their national resurgence. It will be interesting to see how they fare in that contest. The Labour Party seem to have lost touch with their Pro Brexit working class voters and remain reliant on the Metropolitan Middle classes to sustain their momentum......

Consequently I would expect the Brexit party to clean up at the next National election.

Really? With IRA apologist Claire Fox, who is the Brexit Party's first candidate on the list in the North West of England refusing to condemn the Warrington bombing. How will this look to the "Pro Brexit working class voters"?

I do have a slight personal interest in this, but, to show that it is not just me being an unreasonable leftie, I should add that one of the other Brexit candidates has resigned in protest at the former Revolutionary Communist media personality's candidacy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...-manchester-48141670

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on May 4, 2019, 12:56 AM)

Ronsdog
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 1:21 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #14 of 18 (866 views)
Shortcut

The burning political issue of the times, Brexit, has thrown up some odd bedfellows which can't be denied.

Claire Fox whom I find personally detestable is one such individual and without doing any research I'm sure in each and every participating party such oddities can be dug up.

That said the Brexit party , as a one issue political entity, cuts across traditional party lines and has general appeal to most Leavers.

It's only a personal view but I maintain that of all the participants in the upcoming Euro elections the Brexit party has a clear and unequivocal message and that will hold sway with most voters that feel betrayed by the Labour/Tory and Lib/Green/Change parties.

For that reason and that reason only I expect the Brexit party to emerge triumphant on 23rd May.

jon b
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 4:02 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #15 of 18 (830 views)
Shortcut

Our District Council, North East Derbyshire, defied the national trend by going Conservative for the first time ever. The Tories gained 13 seats whilst Labour lost 17 of the 35 seats they had held.

This follows on from the surprise victory in the Parliamentary constituency of Lee Rowley for the Conservatives in 2017. The first Conservative MP for the constituency since 1935.

Rowley is a personable and energetic individual. He has consistently voted against Theresa May's EU withdrawal deal. Unlike Natascha Engel who had held the seat for Labour until 2017 he has opposed fracking.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 4, 2019, 7:57 AM

Post #16 of 18 (782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well the people have spoken based on Brexit!

Remain up a lot!

Leave down a lot!

Bring on the peoples vote!

Undoubtedly good results for pro remain parties
But an over simplification, basically people stuck two,fingers up at the main parties, especially the Tories.
Think Euro election may reveal a different picture
Anyway I'm in a good mood, it'll all be just peachy especially if Derby win on Sunday
Sorry to bring it back to footballLaugh

007Dale
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 8:02 AM

Post #17 of 18 (778 views)
Shortcut

Personally I think the local elections tell us very little about the national picture.

A government of 9 years losing 1000+ seats in local elections is not unheard of.

The opposition of 9 years not gaining seats, is probably more a surprise.

Lib Demís have had a clean run in many councils without the other minor parties. Expect them to lose out to Change U.K. in the Euro elections.

Leave voters had virtually nowhere to turn in protest at the Tories handling of Brexit.

But expect Labour and Tory voters to return for the next General Election.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

May 7, 2019, 11:26 AM

Post #18 of 18 (400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Election results [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Personally I think the local elections tell us very little about the national picture.

A government of 9 years losing 1000+ seats in local elections is not unheard of.

The opposition of 9 years not gaining seats, is probably more a surprise.

Lib Demís have had a clean run in many councils without the other minor parties. Expect them to lose out to Change U.K. in the Euro elections.

Leave voters had virtually nowhere to turn in protest at the Tories handling of Brexit.

But expect Labour and Tory voters to return for the next General Election.

A lot of voters will not return to main parties at next election.

Labour and Conservatives will lose my vote for 10 years, and potentially for ever, if they facilitate economic damage on the UK through brexit.

Labour and Conservatives will continue to ruin this country, for political advantage, as long as we have a first past the post electoral system.

European elections I agree labour and conservatives will take a hit. Change UK will do well in South East and London, brexit party in rest of country, liberal democrates across the country, greens patchy across the country.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3