Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Apr 18, 2019, 10:07 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #26 of 72 (3332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
What was the alternative for Bolton? Administration followed by god no's what. There were hardly a queue of people waiting to go in and save them. Any port in a storm.

HMRC made it clear last time around (when Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth bought the club with half an hour to spare) that they would be pushing for liquidation rather than administration, so it was essentially Bassini or bust. We’ll see how it goes.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 19, 2019, 6:14 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #27 of 72 (3227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
What was the alternative for Bolton? Administration followed by god no's what. There were hardly a queue of people waiting to go in and save them. Any port in a storm.

HMRC made it clear last time around (when Ken Anderson and Dean Holdsworth bought the club with half an hour to spare) that they would be pushing for liquidation rather than administration, so it was essentially Bassini or bust. We’ll see how it goes.

He still hasn’t paid the wages & until he does this he won’t get approval from the EFL. The monies are in an account & you have to wonder why he hasn’t paid the staff.
Alan Nixon has been exchanging a lot of tweets with BWFC fans. He’s been explaining the situation & issues to them.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2019, 10:13 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #28 of 72 (3076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

He still hasn’t paid the wages & until he does this he won’t get approval from the EFL. The monies are in an account & you have to wonder why he hasn’t paid the staff.
Alan Nixon has been exchanging a lot of tweets with BWFC fans. He’s been explaining the situation & issues to them.

Club accounts are frozen according to Ken Anderson. Nixon has been playing guesswork for months so I’d take everything he says with a massive dose of salt.

windydcfc

Apr 24, 2019, 8:41 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #29 of 72 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Club accounts are frozen according to Ken Anderson. Nixon has been playing guesswork for months so I’d take everything he says with a massive dose of salt.

According to Alan Nixon Bassini has shown he has the monies available to clear the debt. All he has to do is transfer the monies & the EFL will sanction his takeover of the club. The money still hasn’t been transferred & Bolton Wanderers are still heading to court.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 26, 2019, 3:55 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #30 of 72 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bolton's players to boycott last two games if their overdue March wages aren't paid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48067603

Loiner
First Team Star

Apr 26, 2019, 11:12 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #31 of 72 (2434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tomorrow's match against Brentford has been postponed.

Breaking news on Sky Sports!

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 27, 2019, 12:10 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #32 of 72 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also on Sky in the last hour, prospective new owner Bassini 'insists he'll get the game back on': https://www.skysports.com/...efore-brentford-game.

Sorted!

(EDIT: apparently the interview was earlier in the day, before the official announcement the game's off. One hell of an interview though).

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Apr 27, 2019, 12:54 AM)

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 27, 2019, 2:59 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #33 of 72 (2182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bolton have bee told they must finish this season's fixtures even if they use Academy players to do so.

https://twitter.com/.../1122073032481300480

In their statement on Saturday morning, the EFL said it was "satisfied that a team can be selected from the players they have registered and available to them" for their remaining two league fixtures, even if first-team players do not make themselves available for selection.

The EFL would have forced Bolton to play Saturday's fixture had their under-18 team not been involved in a match on Thursday, bringing concerns about "potential player welfare issues".

The EFL statement read: "This same issue will not reoccur as the club is able to plan the players' preparation and recovery time accordingly."

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Richard Rundle

Apr 28, 2019, 10:06 AM

Post #34 of 72 (1972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So the EFL are encouraging Under 18s to take the place of workers taking industrial action because they haven't been paid?

BDA_85
First Team Sub

Apr 30, 2019, 10:33 AM

Post #35 of 72 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EFL have released a further statement this morning:

"The EFL has this morning confirmed that Bolton Wanderers’ suspended Sky Bet Championship fixture with Brentford will not be played this week."

Full article here: https://www.efl.com/...t-bolton-wanderers4/

bagman

May 2, 2019, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #36 of 72 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The EFL has announced tonight that the Bolton Wanderers v Brentford Sky Bet Championship fixture called off last week will be played on Tuesday 7 May.

The EFL is also aware that the Club’s Safety Advisory Group (SAG) is due to meet tomorrow and we would advise all supporters to wait until the details for the game are confirmed by the Club before making any travel arrangements.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 2, 2019, 9:15 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #37 of 72 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bagman] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Meanwhile, it appears the white knight and his charger have ridden past without stopping

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/.../may/club-statement/

At one level this may be a lucky escape. On the other hand, BWFC could be the missing team that allows a sixth play-off winner to progress at Step 3

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2019, 9:42 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #38 of 72 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would be surprised if Bolton weren't a FL team for 2019/20 season and I wouldn't be surpsisedd if the EFL punish Bolton if the outstanding isn't played by demoting them to League 2.

derekn
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #39 of 72 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford have now been awarded a 1-0 win after the Safety Advisory Group refused to allow permission for the game to be played on Tuesday.

It would be interesting to know who this bunch are and the whys and wherefores of them having this amount of power.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 3, 2019, 1:03 PM

Post #40 of 72 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The group would be local council, police and other services advisors. Every club at a designated football ground has a similar group to issue a safety certificate.

I wonder when the last occasion when a game in the top four divisions was unplayed and awarded to the opposition. I am betting someone on here knows

Fat AND Pompous.

paulh66

May 3, 2019, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #41 of 72 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't know if it's happened subsequently but in 87/88 Tranmere had a two point deduction for failing to fulfil....against Bolton! Down to a dispute over the amount of policing needed: https://www.footballsite.co.uk/...m#Hard-up%20Tranmere

(This post was edited by paulh66 on May 3, 2019, 1:32 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

May 3, 2019, 2:15 PM

Post #42 of 72 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Paul, that the game was eventually played, leaving this one on the same web pages

Back in March 1974 Halifax Town and Exeter City asked the Football League to postpone matches because their respective playing squads had been decimated by injury and illness. In Exeter's case they had medical certificates for 9 unfit players which left them with just 9 fit players, two of them goalkeepers. Halifax were given permission to postpone their Division 3 match at Bournemouth on Saturday March 30th 1974 but Exeter were refused permission to call of their matches against Peterborough the same day and Scunthorpe 3 days later. They played, and lost, their home match against Peterborough but refused to travel to Scunthorpe to fulfil their Division 4 fixture at the Old Showground scheduled for Tuesday April 2nd. There was speculation that Exeter's punishment might be expulsion from the Football League but later in April it was announced that the Devon side had been fined £5000 for not fulfilling the fixture and in addition were ordered to compensate Scunthorpe £1094 for the lost gate receipts and expenses. It was a massive sum for a Division 4 side to pay. Uniquely the two points were awarded to Scunthorpe and the match was not ordered to be played. It is the only fixture in Football League history that was never played.

Fat AND Pompous.

(This post was edited by leohoenig on May 3, 2019, 2:15 PM)

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 3, 2019, 2:39 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #43 of 72 (994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From, a reputable source!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48151016

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

derekn
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 2:54 PM

Post #44 of 72 (976 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The group would be local council, police and other services advisors. Every club at a designated football ground has a similar group to issue a safety certificate.

I wonder when the last occasion when a game in the top four divisions was unplayed and awarded to the opposition. I am betting someone on here knows

I wouldn't mind betting that this only applies to football clubs. Can't see rugby or cricket having to put up with it.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

May 3, 2019, 3:09 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #45 of 72 (967 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I wouldn't mind betting that this only applies to football clubs. Can't see rugby or cricket having to put up with it.

Why not? They have to deal with big crowds - have to liaise with various authorities to co-ordinate crowd control, transport etc. Do you really believe that venues such as Twickenham or Lords don't have safety meetings with various authorities? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

paulh66

May 3, 2019, 3:38 PM

Post #46 of 72 (943 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think Paul, that the game was eventually played, leaving this one on the same web pages

Ah yes, you're quite right. So Bolton v Brentford is only the second time a FL fixture stays unplayed. I did like the tweet which showed Bolton 0-1 Brentford (Bassini OG, 89) Laugh

Re Safety Advisory Group, it's just that, an advisory group. It has no powers as such but its does work with local authorities as its they who ultimately decide whether or not to issue a safety certificate. Once the local authority decided not to issue a safety certificate for the Bolton game then it'd have been the league (or is it the club?) who called the game off.

derekn
First Team Star

May 3, 2019, 3:40 PM

Post #47 of 72 (941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ever since Thatcher's day, football has had to jump through hoops whereas rugby, being a posh lads' sport, has no specific laws of the land directed at it.

007Dale
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 7:50 AM

Post #48 of 72 (697 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ever since Thatcher's day, football has had to jump through hoops whereas rugby, being a posh lads' sport, has no specific laws of the land directed at it.

Yes, rugby is well known for crowd trouble. My word, when Saints and Tigers play they’re brawling in the streets, invading the pitch, racist, the works.

Or not.

Behave like children and you’ll be treated like them.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 4, 2019, 12:14 PM

Post #49 of 72 (600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not to mention 250 dead in decrepit and badly managed stadia.

jon b
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 12:49 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #50 of 72 (574 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think we have to go along with the safety advice on this one. And there are reasons why the authorities in Bolton should be especially cautious.

A friend of mine was stood on the terraces at Burnden Park, Bolton's previous home ground, at an FA Cup 6th round tie on 6 March 1946 when Wanderers hosted Stoke City, including Stanley Matthews. The actual size of the crowd can only be estimated as many fans managed to get into the ground even after the turnstiles were closed. Over 85,000 spectators are thought to have attended.

The enormous crush resulted in 33 deaths and hundreds of injuries.

Shortly after kick off the police informed the referee that there had been fatalities, the game stopped and the players left the field. However, those in charge decided the best course was to play out the game and then let the crowd disperse.

I suppose just after the end of a world war in which many lives had been lost, attitudes to death and injuries were different to the present day.

My friend remembers seeing the bodies laid out at the side of the pitch covered by overcoats, whilst the teams played the game just yards away. Matthews wrote in his autobiography how none of the players had wanted to return to the field once they'd heard the news of deaths, and numbly went through the motions in a 0-0 draw.

I don't suppose there'd have been a large attendance for the game cancelled this week, but maybe we should go along with the advice of those responsible for safety.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3