Att 142

St. Paul's 6th successive Upton Park with an aggregate of 23-1

noprogs
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 4:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 56 (10321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dewsbury Rangers 7 Collingham Juniors 0
Yorkshire Amateur League, 3rd tier

End of season five miles from home type match, where the scoreline was a bit unfair on the visiting forwards, but not on their porous defence.
Only a playing field, with space for a second pitch alongside, but there are brand new reasonably extensive football foundation changing block and club room.

osborne
First Team Sub

May 4, 2019, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #3 of 56 (10126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bridgford Utd 5 Beeston 0 Nottinghamshire Senior League Division 1
Admission/ Programme - none
Tea - none
h/c 13
After long trips the last few weeks I decided to stay local. I discovered that Bridgford played on the railed off pitch at the Nottingham University complex in Highfields. This is the one near the tram stop and not the one behind the modern pavilion where the Uni play. It's a long walk from the changing rooms to the ground. There is a post and rail all the way around and proper dug-outs on the far side.
It was windy and cool with the occasional heavy showers but thankfully the conditions didn't spoil the game. Both sides played football and Beeston probably had more of the possession but lacked a cutting edge. The home side scored in the 2nd minute and made it 2 before half time. The home side ran in 3 goals after half time but Beeston missed a great chance for a consolation goal when their player managed to head over when it looked easier to score. Considering the level of these teams I was impressed with the football and the attitude of the players. The ref had a good game as well.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 6:37 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 56 (9984 views)
Shortcut

Southampton Saturday League Senior Division 1

Durley 1 Knightwood U. 2

admission/programme none attendance 25 h/c
3rd v 5th/9
If the home team had won this they would have gone top, and then they would have to hope that bottom club Nursling beat FC Independence on Wed to give them the title (some hope). In the event they lost to a Knightwood side that I knew were good (having seen them at Bishops Waltham earlier in the season) but the home team gave them a good run for their money. The visitors can now finish third above Durley if they win their final game (which they should).
A lively start to the match with some early panic in the home defence, but then a long ball causing visiting keeper Bailey to rush out to clear. The wind was gusting occasionally and a visiting free-kick went much closer than expected as a result. Knightwood were playing well and a Blyth shot from the left went just wide before they took the lead on 9 mins. A free-kick outside the area was curled superbly into the corner of the net by Townsend whose exceptional touch I had already noticed at BW. More panic in the home defence shortly after, then a poor clearance by home keeper Badger (at least that's what they called him) fell to Mardell, and his shot was heading for the top corner before the keeper redeemed himself and clawed the ball away. Badger made an even better save shortly afterwards when B.Keens showed good strength to get on the end of a through ball and shoot from close range. The visitors were in charge but the home team were defending stoutly and the long ball gave the visitors trouble at times. On the half hour the ball fell to Blyth ten yards out and his powerful shot produced an excellent save from Badger. The same player then skied an effort after a shot was blocked, but then a Knightwood corner from the right was then allowed to bounce in the area and J.Keens ran through to bundle the ball in. The home team tried to come back - a long ball saw Bailey rush out to clear, then, just on half time, another long ball saw Barnes get there just before the keeper this time, and he was brought down for a clear penalty. A yellow for Bailey was probably the right decision. Cox sent the keeper the wrong way with the spot kick to give Durley hope at half time - only 1-2.
After the break the home team seemed more fired up, and took the game to their opponents. Agnew had a couple of optimistic efforts wide of the mark, and the home team put their opponents under some pressure. Knightwood defended well and again looked good coming forward, so it was a good contest. Agnew then forced Bailey into a save, there was a shout for a home penalty, and Hilliam and Agnew both missed the target. Durley made a couple of subs to try and change the game, and they looked useful. A good cross from the left saw Agnew stretching but still force Bailey into a save, Agnew also caught a volley well but it went wide. The two subs also created a good chance, ended with a miskick. On 90 mins the ball was played to Barnes on the right, who produced a great turn and powerful cross/shot. Cox was running in at the far post, he met it well, but the ball cannoned back off the far post and out. Agnew tried a shot from halfway right on the whistle, which the visitors greeted with some relief. First visit to Kytes Lane for seven years, when Durley won the last Hampshire 2004 League. I was talking about this with their chairman today. Durley are also celebrating their centenary this year, so it was appropriate to pay them a visit again. No changes at the ground, the old pavilion still on one side of the pitch, as is a playground, the rest is bordered by attractive scenery, since it is on a rise and pretty isolated.
The other game I mentioned on WAYG in the league above - Compton v Southampton Uni - I discovered beforehand had been switched to Wide Lane, which helped me decide that I was going to Durley. Compton, needing to win by two to clinch second place. were thumped 5-0 by a Uni team who had all their best players back in the team together for the first time in ages.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on May 4, 2019, 6:39 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 4, 2019, 6:50 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 56 (9889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League 2
Crawley 3-1 Tranmere
Att 3,183 inc 783 away
Adm £22 for a good seat in the main stand rather than £16 to stand behind the goal
Prog £3

After the stresses of trying to get out of the National League for three years, preceded by two straight relegations, I'd have bitten the arm off anyone who'd offered us a nice, relaxing, meaningless fixture to round off this league campaign. With nothing riding on it and not far from home too, this was it....kind of. However, with an unexpected play-off place already secured, this wasn't so much an end of season jolly as the calm before the storm. A bit too calm for my liking, as it turned out, but no lasting damage done.

Ironically my previous visit here was for a very different climax to the season, the winner takes all clash with Coventry in 2015 in which two late goals preserved the Sky Blues' League 1 status and sent Crawley down. Found a good little secluded free car park that day, only a couple of minutes' walk south of the ground via a footpath, down the easily-missed Broadfield Park turn off off the A23 (northbound). You can't see it on googlemaps satellite view because of tree cover but I was pleased to find it again today. No noticeable changes to the ground either since then which, despite its non-league roots, looks and feels like a League 2 venue, despite the canvas roof (now less conspicuously coloured red than the old white) on the east stand.

The Rovers starting XI included only four or five likely starters for the playoffs plus a few others who've not tasted much first team action since the turn of the year, at which time we were starting to get found out at this level before strengthening the squad in January. Today was a disjointed and frankly lethargic and sloppy performance against enthusiastic but limited opponents.

No complaints about the result. A nothing first half ended 2-0, Norwood bagged a penalty just after the break for 2-1 and the second half probably held a bit more interest for the neutral, though we only occasionally looked like equalising. Sad but perhaps apt that it should finish with us carelessly giving the ball away in their half then allowing their lad a fee run to leave him one on one with McNulty, easily burning off the great man in his first match for a few months, and possibly his last at this level, to bag the third in injury time. Macca's been an inspiration in his time with us, just as he was when he captained Luton, Fleetwood and Barrow to promotion, and he deserved better than to be left exposed like that on what's possibly his swan song.

Still, it allowed me a swift exit just before the final whistle, back onto the M23 within a few minutes and home just after kick-off in the 5.30pm game on Sky.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on May 4, 2019, 8:38 PM)

FatCat
Junior Team Star

May 4, 2019, 7:02 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #6 of 56 (9791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Witham Town 1st Team XI 2-2 Witham Town Legends
John Watson Testimonial @ Witham Town FC
Admission: £5
Attendance: c150

Testimonial for John Watson who has been at the club for 10 years. Almost as long as I have been going.
Remember him making his debut.

Great to see some of the former Town players back at Spa Road and ex manager Garry Kimble too.

We had all four seasons during the game: clear skies, overcast, rain and hailstones!

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 4, 2019, 7:16 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 56 (9676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East of Scotland League
Championship play-off round robin
Broxburn Athletic 2-3 Bonnyrigg Rose
Albyn Park, Broxburn
Admission £6/£3
Attendance 956
Programme - didn't buy

Well, I had to wait till May for my match of the season, but this was it and it was worth waiting for.

Nothing can be quite as bizarre as the English Step 4 play-offs which are currently on the go, but the EoS play-offs haven't been far away. Any of the three participants (Penicuik completing the triumvirate) could have been crowned champions today, depending on the outcome of this last match.

The first 30 minutes were pretty cagey, with not many chances being created and this meant advantage Bonnyrigg for they only needed a draw. But at this point their baw was well and truly put onto the slates when a through ball from the Broxburn midfield was intercepted by the Rose keeper, whose momentum took him towards the edge of the penalty area. He dropped the ball like a hot brick but not before the referee had concluded he had handled outside the area. Penalty and red card. Unsurprisingly the Rose players went berserk and the young linesman, who appeared to have confirmed the infringement, got absolute pelters.

The substitute goalie made a brilliant save from the free kick but after some pinball in the box the ball was rifled home from the edge of the penalty area

1-0 advantage Penicuik!

Ten minutes later, as Bonnyrigg struggled to deal with being a man down, Broxburn scored again with 25 yard cracker from their young right winger.

2-0 advantage Broxburn!

At this point you really did fear for Bonnyrigg as they struggled to contain an impressive home side and they must have been grateful for the half-time whistle. I wouldn't have given a bawbee for their chances of getting anything from the match.

In the second half, it looked as if Broxburn had settled for a 2-0 win against the depleted Bonnyrigg side, Their keeper wasted an age at every goal kick and the cutting edge from the first half was no longer there. Rose came more and more into the game and fought for everything - Lewis Turner leading the way with constant harrying of Broxburn players in possession. But the whole team was up for it. Clever substitutions, especially bringing on McGachie and Murrell, increased the pressure on Broxburn, and Rose were rewarded on 70 minutes when they pulled a goal back with a looping header over the keeper

2-1 advantage Penicuik again!!

Bonnyrigg's manager got his marching orders soon afterwards from a referee who was winning no friends amongst the visiting fans. But you could see Bonnyrigg growing in stature with the realisation they could actually salvage this match. They were looking the fitter team. Bonnyrigg headed against the bar on 82 minutes but they were soon level when substitute Murrell scored from inside the box.

2-2 advantage Bonnyrigg.

The last 15 minutes (the game went to the 97th min) were certainly nervy for Bonnyrigg as Broxburn pressed forward.One shot brushed the foot of the Rose post but Broxburn had one last chance from a free kick on the edge of the box. Their keeper joined the assault on the Bonnyrigg goal, but the shot was cleared and from goodness-knows-where Bonnyrigg summoned up the strength to make a speedy break and score in the unguarded goal with the last kick of the game.

2-3 Bonnyrigg champions.

This was a truly magnificent performance from the Midlothian team. You could not have a Man of the Match - every one of them gave everything.

I don't think anyone can doubt they are the best team in the EoS and deserved champions. I'm sorry I'll miss their South Region final against East Kilbride where I suspect they will confirm they are the best team in the Lowland League section of the pyramid.

A word about Broxburn. It was may first visit to Albyn Park, though I had passed it when walking along the Union Canal.

The history of the town itself is closely linked to the shale oil industry - James "Paraffin" Young and all that. There is a very large bing of red shale close to the ground - a favourite haunt of bikers.

The history of football in Broxburn is one hell of a complicated as I discovered this morning when trying to make sense of it. I wish I had Dave Twydell's book out here in the east. However, on the ground floor of the clubhouse there is a quite excellent display of the football history of Broxburn and its environs. Looking at a map this morning I had identified three enclosed grounds but the display identifies and maps eight.

Albyn Park and Sports Park where the principal ones. The Scottish League club played at the latter. Some time in the past Albyn Park was realigned a little.

It's all very modern - railed, floodlit, artificial surface. It's a community asset. Three sides are grass banks, though unless you stand at the top your sightlines are obstructed by giant dugouts and superfluous goal frames adorning the touchlines. The fourth side has hard standing to a ridiculous degree. There is about 15 yards of tarmac between the perimeter rail and the covered enclosure. Goodness only knows why.

(This post was edited by PaulC on May 4, 2019, 8:03 PM)

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 4, 2019, 7:33 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #8 of 56 (9567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League play off semi-final
Solihull Moors 0 AFC Fylde 1
Adm £9 (senior - booked on line) programme £3 Attendance 3,681
Queues were already forming when I arrived an hour before kick off. An early arrival proved to be a wise move as I nabbed a spot near the front barrier and didn't (couldn't) budge for the next two and a half hours. Had a fidgety kid next to me at the outset but I felt sorry for the mite as he couldn't have seen much of the action thanks in part to Moors' new policy of insisting on a meter wide no standing area between the first steps of the terrace and the pitchside perimeter fence. Trouble with this arrangement is that not only is there a near constant stream of people walking infront of you but often their are any number of stewards interrupting a clear view. Anyhow the lad, and his mum, disappeared at half time never to return. Only other change since my last visit was the appearance of a block of uncovered seat opposite the main stand. I gleaned that this was just a temporary measure as the club plans to redevelope much of that side. A pity I think as it appears to me it will mean the only standing areas will be behind either goal.
The match was won by a second minute goal, a sweet strike from the edge of the area by Danny Philliskirk. Fylde deserved their win; they broke with more composure and flair than their hosts and defended very well against Moors power play. And they can also thank 'keeper Jay Lynch for a commanding performance and one superb fingertip save as Moors piled on the second half pressure. I would not back against this outfit going all the way and into the football league.

BigLesWade
Youth Team Sub

May 4, 2019, 7:44 PM

Team(s): West Ham,, Biggleswade Town, Stevenage FC

Post #9 of 56 (9466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stevenage 2 Cheltenham Town 0
League 2
Adm: Season Ticket Att:3071

A routine win for Boro against a disappointing Cheltenham side. A number of good chances were missed by the home side in the first half including a poorly hit penalty by Kurtis Guthrie who then followed it up by putting an effort over the bar when through one on one. At the other end the Robins only forced one save from Farman.
Stevenage scored two in two minutes at the start of the second half through good finishes from Martin and Gibson. The result never looked in doubt and really should have been achieved by a greater margin.
So Boro miss out on the play-offs by one point after an encouraging finish to the season.

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

May 4, 2019, 8:33 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #10 of 56 (9091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigLesWade] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh League Division 3
Albion Rovers 3 Treowen Stars 1
No admission or programme, attendance h/c 52

With the clutch on the car going yesterday meaning this morning had to be spent waiting for the garage to ring, there was only time for a local revisit today. Fortunately there was plenty riding on one game nearby so it was a second visit of the season to Kimberley Park for this relegation six-pointer. It was the home side who triumphed despite going down to ten men due to a goal-saving handball leading to a straight red. When the visitors scored from the subsequent penalty, bringing the game back to 1-1, it seemed that Treowen would go on to win. Two later well-taken goals, however, added to a first half long-shot that bobbled on the uneven surface and rolled through the keeper's legs, were enough to secure the points for the home side.

Albion Rovers climb out of the bottom two thanks to this victory and relegation rivals Ely Rangers losing today. Ely's loss also means that Treowen Stars are safe despite today's defeat. With only two relegation places this season and Caerau already relegated Rovers now look the team most likely to escape, though both they and Rangers have to play championship favourites Penydarren BGC as one of their final matches.

The ground has been described several times on WDYG threads recently so no need for a recap. For the second time in 48 hours I saw a match in this division without a programme and without being troubled for an admission fee. Good to know that Welsh League Division 3 is in such a good financial state. Home by 4.30pm, just in time to hear the final few minutes of events from Morecambe. The season isn't over yet!

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 4, 2019, 8:48 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #11 of 56 (8988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BigLesWade] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CML Presidents Cup Semi - Final.
Rowsley 86, 3 Wirksworth Ivanhoe 3 (2-2 FT - 3-3 AET - 1-3 Pens)
F/N
Att 54.
Fosters £3.45 (Grouse & Claret)
A superb afternoons entertainment in the company of GTV (driver) Warwickian and Martin 55 and others. I very rarely go this far down the food chain and on arrival at ground it was easy to understand why but I needn't have worried.

I did leave to go for a swifty and got back at 15:10 but such things don't bother me. To say at one point all the talk was that this was heading for 0-0 might sound crazy but it's spot on. We had a delay in the second half as a fan collapsed but talk of a two hour wait for the ambulance proved false as it showed within 15 minutes. Thankfully the fan was fine, loads of other things went on as well but my decision to head here rather than London proved a really good move. Wirksworth missed so many chances that the shoot out had only one winner but that also proved false. This pair meet again on Tuesday at the same ground for a league game, if your in the area I suggest you give it a go.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

May 4, 2019, 9:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 56 (8652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fulwood 4-1 Thornton Cleveleys...West Lancs Premier...Adm £2 with programme....Cuppa £1.....k.o 3pm

Only a short run East to the end of the M55, that's not to say I wasn't tempted by other games further afield.
Arrived early despite the A585 being clogged up leaving the coast. Had a shufty round Preston Grasshoppers Rugby Club next door which looks a very tidy set up, with a plastic surface.
Fulwoods set up hasn't changed too much, the area behind the golf driving range goal still look like Fred Dibnah's back yard...with all sorts of machinery cluttering up the area.
Fulwood the League leaders still have Slyne with Hest and Thornton Cleveleys snapping at their heels for the title and todays game promised to be an interesting one.

TC opened the scoring on 8 minutes, the half proved to be a pretty even affair on a bright afternoon near Preston. Fulwood equalised on 17 minutes through their No 10....no names as the programme didnt list any players names.
TC number 4 was sent off on 21 minutes for a foul and then sticking his head in a Fulwood players face. A great shame really.... in hindsight that ended this game as a real contest.
After a 5 minute injury break, TC were caught cold on 43 minutes. An ambitious strike from 35 yards from the Fulwood lanky No 9 flew over the TC keeper and straight into his net.

The second half saw Fulwood move through the gears and scored further goals on 60 and 70 minutes. TC's keeper made the save of the match on 75 minutes. The impressive No 9 for Fulwood couldnt get his hattrick, his strike on 78 minutes came back off the post.

There can't have been any complaints from TC, with Slyne with Hest winning 2-5 down the road, the title go's to the last weekend of the season. Fulwood finish with a game against second bottom Coppull next Saturday at home.

Decent afternoon, good crowd on, didnt see any other Hoppers I recognised.
Plans are afoot to sell of some of the Clubs land for housing to generate a new G4 set up with improved facilities.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

adji
Reserve Team Star

May 4, 2019, 9:41 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #13 of 56 (8494 views)
Shortcut

Midland Division three

Continental Star 3 Coventry Plumbing 2

Star clinched promotion with a first half rout , 50 people turned up to watch Star get their unexpected promotion after years of under achieving .

its all on my blog now

https://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

Dave 56
First Team Sub

May 4, 2019, 10:16 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #14 of 56 (8188 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool Premier. KO 12:00. (F&N). Crowd 22.

Old Xaverians 9 v 0 Alumni

A game with nothing at stake but the home side at least thought it was worth winning. They took the lead with a goal after around 20 seconds and added 3 more before half time. Second period continued in a similar vein and five more goals were added.

The ground had dugouts and was partially roped off, the changing rooms several minutes walk away. Match spent in the company of Buncrana Boy and Karb who I met for the first time.

George Mahon Cup Final. KO 15:00. Admission £2. Free Programme 20 pages. Crowd 200 or so.

BRNESC 3 v 1 FC Pilchy

Match played at the Liverpool FA ground on a grass pitch, railed with a stand and floodlights. I had been here before but saw a game on a different pitch, almost identical.

Entertaining first half, with both teams playing some good football and a goal apiece at the break. Spotted by Karb at half time we had the teams the wrong way round as the programme had stated Pilchy were in blue but it turned out it was BRNESC.

BRNESC were the better side in the second half and deserved their victory. It appears to be the first time Pilchy have lost this season Match again spent with Buncrana and Karb who, I am sure will deliver a more detailed report later.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 4, 2019, 10:29 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #15 of 56 (8091 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Stevenage 2 Cheltenham Town 0

A routine win for Boro against a disappointing Cheltenham side.

Yes, true to form I'm afraid. Cheltenham have been dissapointing on most of their travels recently (Sorry Hod).

I was not watching the expected end to their season, but had dropped down to the environs of Orleans for a Regional 1 (tier 6) game in Centre Val-de-Loire.

This is one of the few regions where the tier 6 league is limited to a single group, so I assume there are three promotion places. At the start of the day, the top six in this 12 team league were divided by just three points.

The poster at Saran stated Saran were in second place, a point behind Chateaudun. This was not true - the points difference was correct, but Vineuil were in second level on points with Chateaudun. Vineuil had a superior goal difference, so I take it that head to head counts here.

One point behind Saran, St Cyr sur Loire are playing on Sunday this week, while a further point behind, Drouais and Blois Foot II were playing each other in Dreux.

Now May 4th may be Star Wars Day, but it felt much more like The Winter Strikes Back, with a cold wind blowing heavy showers of rain and hail across the landscape. When I arrived at Saran, which is really a suburb of Orleans now, there seemed to be no one about. Even at the gate of the stadium, no one was trying to take the €3 quoted admission fee. (I was later given a ticket, but told to keep my money).

There was a late surge in numbers, and anyway there were quite a few in the buvette area (beer is available), prior to kick off. In the end, my estimate was around 150.

The Stade du Bois Joly is part of a multi sports area, with several other pitches and a separate athletics stadium - which has a bigger stand than the football club. This means the concrete post and rail is square to the pitch all the way around. There is a path of light gravel which is slightly overgrown except on the entrance side.

The stand is concrete and a bit of brutalist architecture from someone with a love of triangles. Hence the sides slope back while the concrete structure is topped with a metal roof in five triangular gables. (Are they still gables if they are not filled in?).

The away side is OC Chateaudun - a large town which is bypassed some 50 km before reaching Saran, and notable for its massive castle in the centre.

Chateaudun played in an off colour combination, with old gold and white striped shirts, navy shorts and red socks. One wondered if someone had made a mistake - especially when the subs started playing and it became apparent that the number 12 and 13 shirts had been doctored from other numbers by sticking the numbers 2 and 3 on tape over the second half of a different number.

The playing style was 4-1-4-1 and typical French cautious. They appeared from the start to be playing for a draw. The home side playing in all red and 4-4-2 were actually usng this as an attacking formation.

It might still have been much of what I expect, as while Saran had a few early chances, they conspired to miss them. The best was a cross from the overlapping right back which found sentre forward Sery in space, only for him to mishit the ball and see it well wide of the target.

Half way through the first period, a free kick again from the right wing but taken by Dady. All the players were gathered at the far end of the area to run in on it, and James Hone Blanchett reached the ball at least two yards before the first defender to head Saran into the lead.

The score remained unchanged to the break, but with Saran continuing to dominate and Chateaudun continuing to play as if they were defending the draw.

Soon after the start of the second half, a home free kick was smashed onto the crossbar and came out. Girault went down with a scream as he tried to claim the ball. The referee, standing on the penalty spot blew for the foul and pointed stright down. This was enough to bring the linesman around into position for a penalty, only to return to the side of the pitch when we eventually discovered that the free kick (but no card) was for Girault diving.

As if to make up for confusion caused, the referee also blew for a foul on the next Saran attack, and this time it was a penalty and Koumba made the score 2-0.

Chateuadun tried to get something by changing players around, but they looked out of it particularly on the right side of the field. Still it was a more direct run that led to the third with the attacker brought down by the keeper. Even though this was the denial of a player through on goal, and the keeper was nowhere near the ball, and still argued, the referee managed to avoid giving him a card.

Still he could not stop the penalty - this one taken by sustitute Brossier who then added the fourth two minutes later after an unchallenged run down the right wing.

Finally, Bouzalmad finished off a fine move in the 90th minute.

So the records show

USM Saran 5-0 OC Chateaudun
Admission Free. Attendance ~150

Meanwhile Vineuil were beating Pithiviers by 5-1 and hence remain a point ahead of Saran. Later in the evening Drouais beat Blois Foot II by 2-1 to move third, three points behind the leaders who they entertain next week. Got to be tempting!

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 4, 2019, 10:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #16 of 56 (8008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League
AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur
Attendance 10,630
Admission by season ticket - programme £3.50

Superb win for the Cherries helped by Spurs being reduced to 9 men with Heung Min Son being dismissed for shoving Jefferson Lerma to the ground just before half time and then just after the restart substitute Juan Foyth sent off for a dangerous tackle just 90 seconds after coming on. Eric Dier also should have been sent off in the first half as Tottenham played more like a dirty South American team trying to kick their opponents off the park. Early on they were dangerous for the right reasons but found debutant keeper, 19 year old Mark Travers, in inspired form making three outstanding saves and coming out of his area to head the ball away when Boruc or Begovic would have hesitated. Cherries patience finally paid off in the first minute of injury time when Nathan Ake headed in a corner. Couldn't stay for the end of season lap of honour as I had to get to my second game.

Perry Street & District League Division 1
Netherbury 3-3 Crewkerne Rangers
Headcount 15 - F + N

Joined at this by APL and Brekk from Reading who both doubled with Misterton at 2pm and by DJ who attempted a tighter double with a 2:30 kick off at Winsham United and missed the opening goal scored by the visitors in the first minute when it was still 4:29pm. It seemed a rout would be on the cards with the hosts bottom of the table with only one win all season but they rallied and turned the game on its head with two goals late in the first half and going 3-1 up early in the second half. Just as they thought they would record a rare victory, the visitors pulled a goal back with 10 minutes remaining and in the last minute were awarded a penalty which the keeper saved but they scored from the rebound.

Lovely little ground about half way between Netherton and Waytown and shared by both village clubs, Waytown Hounds played at 2pm hence the late kick off. All four sides enclosed by trees and two perspex dugouts which both blew down in the strong winds early in the game.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on May 4, 2019, 11:58 PM)

davidjay
Reserve Team Sub

May 4, 2019, 11:06 PM

Post #17 of 56 (7867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North Leicestershire Football League
Premier Cup Final
Falcons 0 Greenhill 3
Att: 150 (approx - h/c)
Played at Ashby Ivanhoe
£3 in and didn't see a programme

These clubs finished second and first respectively with a point separating them and Falcons won another final between them on Thursday night that went to extra time so it promised to be a close one.

There wasn't much to talk about in the first half, then on the hour Greenhill got what looked a soft penalty and scored another couple in the next five minutes. They saw the game out with little drama and both sides were very sporting toward each other at the end.

If you've never been there Ivanhoe's ground is tidy enough and typical of an edge of a small town venue - lots of new wood in evidence, with 50/60 seater stands behind one goal and a side plus a covered bit of terrace. I don't know what the set-up would be like for a league game but I got a Coke and a beef roll for three quid and pies/burgers/hot dogs were also available. The only trouble is that it's right next to the A42 but the nearest junction is a few miles away. Still, it seems an enjoyable and friendly place to watch football, particularly in the sunshine we enjoyed for most of the match, and if this is my last new ground of the season I'm going out on a high.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 4, 2019, 11:08 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #18 of 56 (7862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fulwood 4-1 Thornton Cleveleys...West Lancs Premier...Adm £2 with programme....Cuppa £1.....

I was also at Fulwood Amateurs, and enjoyed the occasionally feisty game, although it was distinctly cold for May. Well described, and it certainly put an end to Thornton's title hopes. I thought the attendance was around 90, with loads of cover available, not that it was needed today, in a good setup for step 7.

By public transport, I got the 35 bus from the famous Preston bus station to the Guild Merchant from where it's a 15 minute, or posibly slighly longer, walk to the ground. With the aid of a scramble over a grass bank outside the ground to cut off the corner heading back to Lightfoot Lane, I made the 1701 back to Preston.

Slyne need to better Fulwood's result on Saturday to win the league (they are level on points but with a far inferior goal difference). I may well be there.

Loiner
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 11:39 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #19 of 56 (7652 views)
Shortcut

Hunslet Club v Carlton Athletic 1-1
West Yorkshire Premier
c 70 watching.
Both goals were scored in the opening 25 minutes with Carlton going ahead on 11' with a volley from a corner and the equaliser coming from a scrambled effort on 25'.
Carlton had a player red carded with about ten minutes remaining, but had no problem seeing the game out.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 4, 2019, 11:49 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #20 of 56 (7617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JT] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

14:00
Hope Valley League, Roden Cup Final

Tansley Juniors 2 {53' 66'}
Bakewell Town Res. 0

Venue: Leadmill Ground, Hathersage FC.
Attendance: c. 50

Just a revisit, 8 years after watching a Cliff Ellis Memorial Trophy Semi-Final here.
A deserved victory for Tansley, in their debut season in the Hope Valley Lge. If they win either of their remaining two league fixtures then they'll double up with the 'B' Division title as well!
Had a 5 mile walk along Stanage Edge afterwards, and very enjoyable it was too. Smile

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2019, 12:32 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #21 of 56 (7440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Silksworth Colliery Welfare 1 Richmond Town 0, Monkwearmouth Charity Cup Final, Att: 180 Admission: £2, Prog: £1

Not a game to live long in the memory as a strike by the home side with 15 minutes to go settled this scrappy affair, spoiled somewhat by a cold wind blowing across the ground. The first half was a complete non-event, neither side managing a shot of any description, on target or otherwise. The second period was better, Richmond creating the better chances but Silksworth took their only real chance. Celebrations at the end of the game were slightly marred by a dozen or so members of the Richmond Brain Cell Club (who had been "boisterous" throughout the game) taunting Silksworth players, which led to an exchange of flare throwing and a confrontation. I'm sure it would have helped if this collection of late teens hadn't had more than their fair share of fizzy crap as the game wore on. Silksworth's ground is basic but neat, fully enclosed in a park, fully railed with a double dugout and changing rooms in one corner. Refreshments were available in a room outside the ground and as ever it was good to see one of footballs great trophies.

Pre-match refreshments were courtesy of The Ivy House and Chesters, both a ten minute drive from the ground

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

barcud-coch
First Team Star

May 5, 2019, 1:16 AM

Post #22 of 56 (7331 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Abertillery Excelsiors 5 Crickhowell 0

Pen-y-Pound Stadium: Gwent Amateur Cup Final

This was my first visit to the Pen-y-Pound Stadium since February when I watched Abergavenny entertain Swansea City in a Welsh Premier Women’s League fixture. This afternoon’s match was the first time I had watched a Gwent Amateur Cup final since it last took place at this ground four seasons ago. On that occasion, Albion Rovers defeated local rivals Newport Corinthians 2-1 to lift the prestigious trophy, which is now competed for by clubs below Gwent County League First Division level as top-flight clubs play for the Gwent Senior Cup following a change by the Gwent County FA a few years ago. Abertillery Excelsiors came into the final as favourites to lift the silverware after finishing runners-up to Second Division champions Newport Corinthians. Excelsiors had not played for three weeks since concluding their league campaign with a 2-1 home reverse at the hands of Rogerstone. The Second Division club had overcome Sudbrook Cricket Club, Tintern Abbey, Ponthir, Clydach Wasps and Usk Town to book their ticket in this afternoon's final. For Crickhowell, it was one of the biggest days in the club’s history, as they were making their inaugural appearance if the final of this competition. Crick had previously reached the Emrys Morgan Cup final, the Central Wales FA's equivalent of this competition, when they were defeated by Llangedwyn in 1989/90. The Elvicta outfit had enjoyed a fourth-placed finish in the Third Division but completed their fixtures with a 5-0 reverse at champions Newport Saints on Easter Saturday. The Breconshire-based club had beaten Coed Eva Athletic, Croesyceiliog Athleltic, Machen, Lucas Cwmbran and Aberbargoed Town to reach their first final of this competition.

Abertillery Excelsiors made a sensational start to the Gwent Amateur Cup final by opening the scoring as early as the second minute of the match. The Second Division club broke swiftly down the left a a low cross was swept past the Crickhowell custodian. Excelsiors fired a low 25 yard shot on the turn at the Crickhowell custodian before doubling their lead in the 24th minute with a dipping shot over the head of the goalkeeper from just over 25 yards out. The Abertillery club should possibly have scored a third goal just four minutes later when an Excelsiors forward broke down the inside left channel before cutting inside and firing a low shot narrowly wide of the far post. Despite not conceding a goal on that occasion, Crickhowell trailed by three goals in the 32nd minute when a low 25 yard effort nestled in the bottom corner of the Breconshire club's goal. The Third Division outfit probably should had pulled a goal back three minutes later but pulled a low shot past the far post from a tight angle and it appeared that Crick faced an uphill task to get back into the final as they trailed 3-0 at the break. Matters got worse from Crickhowell 10 minutes after the interval when a looping header beat the goalkeeper following a free-kick played into the penalty area. The Breconshire men had a good opportunity to reduced the deficit in the 59th minute when a Crickhowell forward latched on to a through ball but could only shoot straight at the Excelsiors goalkeeper. Crick were made to pay for that miss on the hour mark as their opponents broke free from midfield and an Excelsiors forward latched on to a through ball before guiding the ball past the goalkeeeper. Crickhowell saw a 65th minute header easily saved from a cross on the right before Excelsiors had opportunities to extend their advantage further without playing at the same intensity as the first hour of the final.

Builth Wells 2 Caersws 1 (aet)

Y Weirglodd: MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Cup Final

The second final of the day took place slightly further north from the Pen-y-Pound Stadium at the home of Rhayader Town. Last season’s the final of this competition was played as a double-header at Carno, following on from the E R Jenkins Cup final, but this term had seen a return to the usual convention. This evening provided a relatively quick return to Y Weirglodd after having been present for the Radnorshire Cup final on Easter Sunday when Llanidloes Town defeated holders Radnor Valley. Caersws were not strangers to the final of this competition, having lifted the trophy on a number of occasions prior to becoming founder members of the Cymru Alliance in 1990, although their reserve team claimed the silverware in 1996/97. For Builth Wells it was their debut appearance and one of the biggest matches in their history since reaching the Emrys Morgan Cup final in 1979/80 and 1983/84. The Bluebirds finished fourth in the First Division on their return to the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League for the first time in 28 years. Caersws completed their fixtures just over a fortnight ago with a 0-0 at eventual champions Llanfair United. Following a bye in the opening round of the competition, the Recreation Ground outfit beat Borth United, arch rivals Llanidloes Town and Berriew to book their ticket in this evening's match. Builth Wells have enjoyed a fine campaign following promotion back to the top echelon last summer. The Wyesiders enjoyed a sixth-placed finish after defeating Carno 3-0 on Tuesday and reached the last-four stage on the Central Wales Challenge Cup for good measure. The Lant Field club had overcome local rivals Newbridge, Llansantffraid Village, Aberaeron Town and Carno to reach the final.

The Breconshire ,men made the perfect start to their first ever Mid Wales League Cup final when they broke quickly down the left flank and a cross was missed by a Caersws defender but Josh Price was on hand too turn the ball into the net. The Wyesiders had a great opportunity to double their advantage in the 21st minute when Bluebirds goalkeeper Luke Evans brought down Price but the former Rhayader Town custodian redeemed himself when he saved the ensuing spot-kick. The former Welsh Premier League club went close courtesy of a 32nd minute overhead kick from the edge of the Builth Wells penalty area before Stuart Turpin turned a shot on to the crossbar seven minutes later before stopping a header from the rebound. A Caersws forward latched on to a stoppage time through ball was his effort was kept out by Turpin. Price came close to doubling the Wyesiders' advantage, eight minutes into the second-half, but fired over the crossbar after running on to a through ball. But the Bluebirds were on level terms on the hour mark after a penalty was converted by Elliot Jones following a foul in the penalty area. Builth Wells struck a 25 yard volley over the crossbar 11 minutes later before the Montgomeryshire responded with a low shot wide of the target following a cross to eh far post from out on the right. Price nearly won the cup for Builth Wells in the 89th minute but he volleyed over the target from close range following a inviting cross delivered into the penalty area. Caersws also had an opportunity to win the match in stoppage tome but blazed over from close range following a long throw into the penalty area. The Bluebirds pulled an effort wide of goal in the opening minute of extra-time before a Builth Wells defender bravely blocked a close range effort on the goal line. But it was the Wyesiders that lifted their first major senior trophy, netting the decisive goal four minutes into the second period of extra-time, when Price volleyed home past Evans from close range after a well-placed cross delivered into the near post area.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 835
Matches: 186
New Grounds: 16

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

May 5, 2019, 1:57 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #23 of 56 (7294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Corsham Print Wiltshire Senior League –
Marlborough Town 2 Cricklade Town 2
Spectator headcount 26 (FullTime shows a wholly incorrect ‘crowd’ of 9)
Admission free, no programme
Pint of Carling £3.60, coffee £1.20, bag of Big Hula Hoops 90p

The last time Star Wars Day (May the 4th be with you) fell on a Saturday, I drove through the scenic town of Marlborough and under the iconic college arch atop the A4 for a fruitless trip to a Western League game which had been relocated without me realising. Today, with Notts County becoming our most famous non-League team in a game 12 miles away, I thought it only fair to stop at Marlborough for a season 'end-of'.

Town's ground is situated in Elcot Lane, a sharp right hand turn on a left hand bend next to The Roebuck Inn on the A4 London Road on the eastern side of town, if travelling from Junction 14 of the M4. It's a fairly basic but pleasant and scenic spot, comprising a railed off pitch which slopes 5 feet from one wing to the other, dugouts on the higher flank, training lights, and a clubhouse in the higher corner nearest the car park, with a veranda with same level cover for about 40 spectators.

With their manager absent due to getting married, and having amassed £600 in fines for reds and yellows in their game last Saturday, Marlborough were hoping for something more mellow and less stressful this weekend. They got it. With nothing relying on the outcome, this was a markedly committed and enjoyable game without getting narky (just one booking though there probably should have been three), in sunny / cloudy conditions accompanied by a wind ranging from fresh to bitter.

In the first half Marlborough were profligate in front of goal, apart from a 20 yard direct free kick which banged the bar, and were punished when Cricklade captain Michael Lees received a diagonal ball in the box and slotted home across goal from 10 yards in the 42nd.

When Reece Gilliver doubled the lead ten minutes later with a strong low 20 yarder it looked like game possibly over, but a 50 yard punt saw Aaron Presley sprint past a defence which was all shook up (sorry) and bang home from 15 yards on the hour, and some quality head tennis from a corner in the 67th was ended when Kieran Maidment had enough and nutted it into the top corner. All in all, nice spot, nice game.

rambler77
First Team Star

May 5, 2019, 7:03 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #24 of 56 (7088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

REDDITCH BOROUGH 1-6 COVENTRY ALVIS
(Midland League D2)

@ The Mettis Aerospace Sports & Social Club, Redditch
Adm / prog: none
Att: ?
Coffee and a sausage sandwich: £3.75

A game that was not as one sided as the score suggests. The home side had plenty of possession and created their fare share of chances, but did not take them. CA took theirs and ran out comfortable winners.

70 ground and match photos can be viewed online @ https://rambler77.zenfolio.com/p923413262

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2019, 7:25 AM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #25 of 56 (7035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Saturday 4th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Caerau Ely 2-1 Pontardawe Town
Welsh League Division 2
£5 in
Att: 47 (h/c)

The promotion race in this division is still riddled with various permutations, none of which were really sorted out with Saturday's results. Swansea Uni and STM are up, but either could be champions. The third promotion place is between the two teams in this game plus Abergavenny and Aberbargoed. Caldicot are currently 3rd, but have finished their season, and the other 4 teams mentioned could all overtake them with their remaining games. Added to that mix, a good few of the remaining games are between various combinations of these teams.

So, this one was set up to be a cracker, and so it proved. Both teams knew what was at stake, and went at each other from start to finish. CE took the lead after intercepting a short back pass in the 37th minute, but Pont equalised in first half stoppage time with a header from a free kick. CE had a sustained period of pressure in the middle of the 2nd half, and scored what turned out to be the winner on 75. Scrappy goal, but probably just about deserved on balance. Thoroughly entertaining game played out in glorious sunshine.

Despite the result Pont still aren't out of the promotion picture. Two massive games coming up on Wednesday - Aberbargoed v Pontardawe and Caerau Ely v STM. Maybe the picture will be a bit clearer after those games.

The ground is on the fringes of the Cardiff metropolitan area, with a housing estate and a ring road flyover on one side and open fields on the other. Not the easiest location to find, and on a dead end road, so not really surprising that they struggle for crowds. It's a decent ground, with small seated stands facing each other along the halfway line. Both are shuttered, and only one was open for this game. There is hard standing the full length of both sides and near end, but the far end is out of bounds. The bases for floodlights are in place, but no pylons as yet. I would think that finances are the only issue. The windowless clubhouse is outside the ground next to a small car park. I will keep a keen eye on the results in this division over the next week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3