Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG


Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 5th May 2019


Reserve Team Regular

May 5, 2019, 6:38 PM

Posts: 567
Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #1 of 18 (4568 views)
Sunday 5th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League North Play-off semi-final
Brackley Town 0 Spennymoor Town 0 (aet, Spennymoor win 5-4 on pens)
Adm: £12, Prog: £2, Tea: £1, Att: 1271

A largely poor game, with both sides seeming both reluctant to shoot, and unable to produce any kind of decent cross. Chances were at a premium for the whole of the 90 minutes, with the Brackley keeper having to pull off a good save from a Spennymoor shot in the second half, and Brackley being somehow unable to put the ball in the net from an almighty goalmouth scramble.

The first half of extra time was even worse, but the second half was something else. It was all Brackley and they missed at least two sitters, one of them by the number 9 who had an empty net to aim at after a defender and the keeper had got in a mix-up, but rushed it and put in into the side netting.

So to penalties. Both sides scored their first two, and Brackley scored their third, but Spenny's third was saved. After four pens each it was 4-3, and Brackley's no 9 only had to score to win the tie, but blazed it over the bar. Spenny levelled it up to take it into sudden death, and then Brackley's sixth pen was skied over the bar as well, leaving Spenny to win it with their sixth and cue scenes of joy at that end. Brackley only had themselves to blame.

First ever visit to St James Park - it's nothing special but has a decent atmosphere with a crowd this size in it. Seated stand on the clubhouse side, another seated stand behind the goal with decent-sized open terrace either side of it. Small standing cover at the other end, and nothing on the other side except a wide path, but presumably another stand is going here?

First Team Sub

May 5, 2019, 7:12 PM

Posts: 1091
Location: Ipswich
Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #2 of 18 (4435 views)
Re: [ARL] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich Town 3 Leeds United 2
Portman Road

Admission: Season ticket
Programme: £3
Attendance: 20,895

Relegated however unlike the last few weeks we played with pride and in the end got a rare win. 5 goals, a Red card - could have been 2, and a missed penalty, some dodgy officiating and 4,000 very quiet Leeds fans.

Still plenty to do this summer to get a team ready to compete at top of League One, but at least the home fans went home smiling.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)

Youth Team Regular

May 5, 2019, 8:09 PM

Posts: 203
Team(s): Tottenham, Cambridge City

Post #3 of 18 (4180 views)
Re: [Dribble!] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League South Play Off Semi Final
Welling United 3 Chelmsford City 2
Admission £8 (concession) Attendance 1912

In the end an exciting afternoon with the match decided well into added time. Things didn't start promisingly with the ball spending most of the first fifteen minutes high in the air with both sets of defenders seeming to be in a contest to see who could kick it the highest. When the game finally settled down it was Welling who looked the most dangerous and they scored twice each side of the half hour although both goals had an element of fortune about them. The first came following a free kick which bobbled about in the area before an attempted clearance hit Goldberg and bounced into the net. The second came when a clearance was volleyed back by Audel onto the the post and the ball rebounded back onto the Chelmsford goalkeeper's leg and rolled agonisingly over the line. At that point it looked like Welling's game but Chelmsford got themselves back into the match when Fenwick glanced a free kick into the far side of the goal just before the break.

Understandably this gave Chelmsford a lift and they had much more of the ball in the second half although it was Welling who came nearest scoring with a shot that went just wide and a header that probably should have been directed on target. However Chelmsford's pressure, which mostly came from long balls forward, finally told with just over five minutes of normal time remaining when a fine long range shot from Giles was well parried by Welling keeper Wilks but unfortunately for him the ball flew up and over his head and finished up in the back of the net. Then, just as everybody was preparing themselves for extra time, Welling started to push forward again and a quick turn and tumble in the box saw the referee pointing to the penalty spot. After the usual protests were completed, it was Kiernan who was given the responsibility of the kick and he just about converted despite the keeper getting his hands to the ball. Six minutes of added time had elapsed by the time the game re-started and the referee blew for the end almost as soon as Chelmsford had kicked off. The large contingent of fans from Essex were left to trudge home as the Welling players celebrated and started to contemplate their visit to Woking for the final next weekend.

(This post was edited by Hornchurchspur on May 5, 2019, 11:25 PM)

Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 5, 2019, 8:11 PM

Posts: 18684
Location: Chatham
Team(s): Brentford

Post #4 of 18 (4170 views)
Re: [Dribble!] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky Bet Championship

Brentford (1) 3 v 0 (0) Preston North End

Season Ticket , Programme £3.50 . Attendance: 11,289 (812 away fans)


New Grounds 2018/2019 Season = 42
Last New Ground : Marlborough Town 4th May 2019

Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2019, 8:13 PM

Posts: 3295
Location: The EAST

Post #5 of 18 (4165 views)
Re: [Dribble!] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maldon & Tiptree 2-2 Heybridge
Heybridge won 2-0 on pens
Bostik North Play Off Final
Adm £10/5, unlike Wednesday plenty of paper available.
Att 945

Naturally I wonít try and compete with the Bard by telling you about the afternoons events, Iíll just mention my two firsts.
1, Iíve walked towards the exit with one team a goal down on many occasions only to see a late equaliser. But Iíve never began my walk with one team two goals down and not looking likely to have a shot let alone score. But after saying my goodbyes is was back to the seat 5 minutes later.
2. Only two goals scored in a shootout, I can only assume Maldons usual penalty taker had gone off, not one of them looks remotely confident of scoring. You could tell by the stuttering run ups they werenít sure of what to do.

First Team Sub

May 5, 2019, 8:56 PM

Posts: 1034
Location: Ipswich.The Capital Town of Suffolk.
Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #6 of 18 (3945 views)
Re: [Dribble!] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at Portman Rd. KO 12.30pm.

Sky Bet Championship.



Home. F Downes (30) A Dozzell (47) C Quaner (90)

Away. M Klich (45) S Dallas (76)

Admission by season ticket. Programme £3. Attendance 20,895. Away Fans 3,963.

GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Reserve Team Star

May 5, 2019, 9:05 PM

Posts: 828
Location: North Wales
Team(s): Everton

Post #7 of 18 (3893 views)
Re: [youngster] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FAW Welsh Cup Final
(played at The Rock, Cefn Druids)
Connah's Quay Nomads 0-3 The New Saints
Admission £8 Programme (32pp) FREE
Att: 1,256

In the end a very comfortable victory for TNS. The Nomads were completely outclassed and rarely threatened. The Saints were 2-0 up at the break and the second half was, in truth, a non-event as such. A 3rd goal sealed the League and Cup double for The New Saints.

Plenty of familiar 'hopping' faces amongst a healthy crowd.

A beer tent was set up in the car park where Wrexham Lager had a stall, which was doing decent trade in the sunshine, and the hog roast on sale inside the ground was superb. An enjoyable afternoon at The Rock, which is certainly one of my favourite "new" grounds.

read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

(This post was edited by hipkissexpress on May 5, 2019, 9:38 PM)

Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 5, 2019, 9:23 PM

Posts: 18020
Location: South Birmingham
Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 18 (3823 views)
Re: [hipkissexpress] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A beer tent was set up in the car park where Wrexham Lager had a stall, which was doing decent trade in the sunshine,.

Mmm. Bet you were straight in there.........

Reserve Team Star

May 5, 2019, 9:29 PM

Posts: 828
Location: North Wales
Team(s): Everton

Post #9 of 18 (3789 views)
Re: [buncranaboy] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A beer tent was set up in the car park where Wrexham Lager had a stall, which was doing decent trade in the sunshine,.

Mmm. Bet you were straight in there.........


read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

First Team Star

May 5, 2019, 10:01 PM

Posts: 1869

Post #10 of 18 (3659 views)
Re: [hipkissexpress] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Presteigne St Andrews Reserves 2 Wellington Colts 2 (Wellington Colts won 4-1 on penalties)

Forest Road: Ron Ellis Cup Final

Hay St Mary's Football club hosted their third successive finals day with the culmination of their two competitions, that was completed by a full-colour 20 page programme and attracted at least a couple of hoppers to Forest Road, including Leslie Howells (aka 'Caldicot's Finest') The Ron Ellis Cup is one of two competitions organised by Hay St Maryís to commemorate the life of the late club stalwart, who was at the helm during the 1970s and early 1980s, when the Saints were a leading club in the Herefordshire League. The trophy was first competed for in the 1985/86 season, after Mr Ellis had passed away, and was fittingly lifted by the host club on the first occasion. Over the years, the likes of Brecon FC, Dorstone United, Rhosgoch Rangers, Sennybridge and Talgarth Town have lifted this trophy. Wellington Colts are the current holders of the silverware after requiring a penalty shoot-out to defeat Herefordshire FA County League First Division rivals Orleton Colts Reserves last May. The holders overcame Hay St Maryís Reserves in this seasonís semi-final and Presteigne St Andrews Reserves needed penalties to overcome Mid Wales League (South) champions Talgarth Town in the other semi-final. Wellington Colts completed their league fixtures in fifth position in the First Division table but had suffered a narrow 2-1 defeat at the hands of Hinton Reserves in their final match of the campaign. Presteigne St Andrews Reserves concluded their Mid Wales League (South) fixtures in the lower-half of the table following a 3-1 reverse at the hands of their Builth Wells counterparts nearly a fortnight ago.

Presteigne St Andrews Reserves went close to opening the scoring in the fifth minute but headed wide of the far post from an early corner. Wellington Colts responded by breaking swiftly from their own half nine minutes later but could not keep the ensuing shot down from the edge of the penalty area. The cup holders eventually broke the deadlock in a competitive encounter when Nick Jones climbed highest to head emphatically home from a 18th minute corner. The Herefordshire club doubled their advantage when Sam Shaw was on target with a header from another set-piece in the 43rd minute. The East Radnor men replied my heading over the target from a corner of their own six minutes later. Wellington Colts saw a 43rd minute shot saved from the edge of the penalty area before having another effort on the Presteigne St andrews Reserves goal blocked from a corner delivered to the far post just a couple of minutes later. Wellington Colts had a shot saved at the near post by the Presteigne St Andrews Reserves custodian with his legs before the Llanandras Park halved the deficit in the 70th minute when heading home a hanging cross from the right to the far post. The cup holders nearly regained their two-goal advantage, some six minutes later, but the Radnorshire club's goalkeeper came out to make an important block. Presteigne Sr Andrews Reserves broke down the right two minutes later but the cross to the far post was met with an overhead kick that went wide of the target. Just when it appeared Wellington Colts had retained the cup, their opponents netted an equaliser five minutes into stoppage time when the ball was eventually forced home from a corner, but to the anger of Wellington Colts, who felt the final whistle shown have blown before that goal. But the villagers were able to celebrate a few minutes later when they won the ensuing penalty shoot-out by convert all four of their attempts.

Hay St Maryís 3 Shobdon 2 (aet)

Forest Road: Hay Senior Cup Final

This competition has a much longer history than the Ron Ellis Cup, having been first competed for in the 1921/22 season, when Hereford-based club St Martins lifted the silverware. Since the inaugural final, in addition to the host club, Brecon Corries, Crickhowell, Hinton, Fownhope, Kington Town, Talgarth Town and Vale of Arrow, amongst others, have all seen their names appear on the trophy. The Hay Senior Cup was competed for regularly by local clubs either side of the border until the mid-1990s before experiencing somewhat of a hiatus in recent times. The competition made a welcome return to the local football calendar two seasons ago, when Hay St Maryís claimed their own cup with a 6-1 victory over Builth Wells, before retaining the the honours last term with a 3-1 win over then league rivals Brecon Northcote. The Saints received a walkover to this seasonís final after Kington Town failed to field a team for the scheduled semi-final and Shobdon overcame local rivals Presteigne St Andrews 3-1 in the other tie. The host club narrowly missed-out on promotion from the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division, having been embroiled in race with Four Crosses and Montgomery Town since the turn of the calendar year, and completed their fixtures with a 4-1 reverse at Borth United yesterday. Shobdon had secured runners-up honours in the Herefordshire FA County League First Division and concluded their fixtures with a 1-1 draw at champions Ludlow Colts just over a week ago.

The visitors made a confident start to the day's second final and opened the scoring after breaking down the right flank in the fifth minute and seeing a cross to the far post headed past Tom Bevan by Harry Bowen. The Saints responded when Jack Biggs headed wide of goal from a free-kick just a minute later before Shobdon fired an effort over the crossbar from 30 yards. Hay St Mary's forward Matty Tong shot wide from the edge of the penalty area in the 15th minute before Biggs was unable to keep his header down from a cross six minutes layer. The Saints eventually drew level in the 23rd minute when Tong latched on to a well-timed through ball from strike partner Greg Preece before calmly slotting his effort past the The Dons goalkeeper. Shobdon forced Bevan to save a header from a 33rd minute cross from the right flan before the visitors headed wide from a corner six minutes later, Liam Mcanally nearly put Hay St Mary's ahead four minutes before the interval but his close range effort struck the woodwork after a corner was swung over to the far post. The north Herefordshire club headed wide of goal from a cross three minutes after the interval and went close with another header this time from a corner swung over to the far post some seven minutes later. Greg Preece drove into the Shobdon penalty area in the 64th minute but saw his shot on goal blocked before Frazer Mcanallay had a close range header from a 79th minute corner blocked as the Saints increased their pressure on the visitor's goal.

Just when it appeared that Shobdon were tiring in the closing stages, they took the lead for a second time after breaking down the left flank and Bevan managed to get a hand to a shot from a visiting winger but was unable to prevent the ball from crossing the line. It appeared the Saints were about to lose a grip on their own cup but Jack Evans beat a couple of defenders in the penalty area with his quick footwork and his low shot nestled into the corner of the net. The goal seemed to provide the home players with a 'second wind' as the final entered extra-time but Shobdon came close to regaining the lead five minutes into the first period when a shot from an acute angle flew narrowly wide of the far post. But it was the Saints who went ahead for the first time in the match just a minute later. Harry Hooper won the ball off a Shobdon area and drove onto the penalty area, before seeing his shot parried the the visiting goalkeeper, but Tong was on hand to force the ball over the goal line inside the far post. Saints substitute Harry Ratcliffe headed wide of the near post from a 99th minute corner before the Herefordshire outfit were reduced to ten men in the second period of extra-time by referee Paul Curtis. Ratcliffe came close to extending the hosts advantage in the final minutes of the match when he shot across the face of goal but his team had done just enough to lift their own trophy for a third successive season.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 844
Matches: 188
New Grounds: 16

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 5, 2019, 10:09 PM

Posts: 4492
Location: Cheshire/Dorset
Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #11 of 18 (3627 views)
Re: [hipkissexpress] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hucknall Town 4 Pinxton 4 (AET, pens 4-5), Central Midlands League Cup Final, Att: 601, Admission: £5, Prog: £1

The second of three cup finals this weekend and a first visit to Alfreton's North Street ground (or Impact Arena as it is known nowadays) for something like 27 years. Have to say that I was most impressed with the transformation, even though I'm usually not a fan of seats on terracing for the sake of it, Great to see the original end terrace now spruced up. I watched the game adjacent to the players tunnel in a padded seat which was very welcome and provided an excellent view of a fantastic game, a huge improvement on yesterday's tame affair at Silksworth. Pinxton flew out of the blocks and were soon 2-0 ahead and when an own goal gave them a three goal lead midway through the first period there seemed no way back for the South Division champions. However a deflected free kick just before the break gave Hucknall hope and a second goal immediately after half time followed by a Pinxton sending off gave the game a completely different complexion as Hucknall pushed for an equaliser which duly came with two minutes to play. Extra time was more even as both sides tired, Pinxton scoring first but Hucknall levelled to take it to penalties. Hopefully Long Melford v Fakenham at Diss Town can provide similar entertainment tomorrow.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

timmy tabby
First Team Star

May 6, 2019, 7:49 AM

Posts: 1747

Post #12 of 18 (2966 views)
Re: [youngster] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

......As stated by Young'un also at Maldon & Tiptree for what was one of the curio's of the season with Heybridge cruising to what was a straightforward win on the as we entered stoppage time and then one of the strangest penalty competitions ever seen. Outcome means that the black n' white stripes of Heybridge will be cheering from afar (I like to think that some of their mpre ardent supporters will travel down the M4 to lend their support) for the black n' white stripe clad Foresters of Cinderford. Clear that the Heybridge choristers were fully aware of their situation with several chants referring to the fact that 'They Might be Going Up' and also referring to a sudden admiration of the Forest of Dean's biggest town.

How we got to the outcome was an at times strange contest that had bursts of energy but had significant pauses especially in the second half where with Heybridge with a one goal advantage and then two goal were for most of the last half hour successfully seeing out the minutes. The first half in many ways was typical play off fayre, plenty of effort from both teams but opportunities were scarce. Best chance fell to Adeyemi for the visitors square on goal from Brown's corner, however his downward header was too firm and bounced off the surface and cleared the crossbar. Though in response a header from Maldon's Cawley was headed away just in front of the line after an uncharacteristic error from Haigh in the Heybridge goal. Overall the visitors had slightly the better of play but the half time thoughts were that it could be a long long afternoon.

The extra time fears though were surely dispelled when Heybridge dominated midfield in the second period and minutes into the second half they took the lead with a perfectly struck twenty five yarder from Brown who was patiently waiting on the edge of the area for a loose ball that would come his way from a weak clearance. Completely beat McNamara for pace and accuracy just inside the post. The goal gave Brown an appetite for a further effort from distance but on the second occasion the strike was straight into Haigh's hands.

Noted during Heybridge's win at Aveley in the POSF, the proficiency in control from Kouassa on the right and as the second half progressed it was the case that he was giving the home defence a torrid time.One potent run saw him beat the home defence for pace and his rising drive from a none too favourable position just cleared the angle.

For most of the second half though, Heybridge were without too much effort controlling proceedings and with a matter of eight minutes left a pass forward from Walker saw Kouassa peel away from his market and he slipped his shot wide of the onrushing McNamara to double the Heybridge advantage and the general consensus was that this completely reflected the balance of play. Soon after there was the mysterious chalking off ostensibly for an offside flag of what initially appeared to be a third Heybridge goal when Addington-Pile's header from Brown's free kick found the net. At that stage, it appeared to make no difference as when we entered stoppage time Felixstowe's Finest departed remarking that it was Roast Beef on the table at 18.00. What happened in the next few minutes meant a complete revision of his dinner plans and the plans of everyone else.

On the balance of play and as we progressed into the added minutes, the chances of Maldon turning over the two goal Heybridge advantage looked as remote as the visitors promotion chances were a week previously. When the deficit was halved when Roast's shot from the edge of the area was pushed onto the bar by Haigh and D'Sane forced in the rebound, it looked no more than a mere footnote to proceedings. A minute later and D'Sane middled an angled drive which led to what was initially thought to be a POF winning flying save from Haigh, however from the resultant inswinging corner, Awotwi bundled over from close range and an extra time scenario that looked so unlikely just a couple of minutes before was upon us.

Extra time was in many ways similar to the initial 90 minutes, a few bursts of creative play namely when Addington-Pile directed a pass through to Kouassi but his shot past McNamara clipped the base of the post and for Maldon a late chance when D'Sane saw himself in space but headed straight at Haigh. Overall it was situation so often seen with ET in that we had too sets of overly tired players and they could not rejuvenate themselves sufficiently to direct the contest to a positive non-penalty conclusion.

On an afternoon when Penalty conclusions in Play Off contests were the norm up and down the land, it was the responsibility of the allotted takers to decide the outcome. Difficulty on this occasion was that out of 7 taken penalties only 2 actually found the net. All of Maldon's spot kicks were either saved or in the case of the first taken by Cawley sent into the neighbouring conifers. At least the first two from Heybridge found the net, however what was seen as the defining attempt from Brown was not even remotely close and also rustled a few conifer branches. Penalties concluded though with the next kick from Issa which like the previous 2 Maldon efforts was straightforwardly saved by Haigh. On the balance of play the correct outcome with the eyes of those on the north shores of the Blackwater turning towards Gloucestershire this afternoon. Praise for Heybridge for fully committing to the Play Off competition even though their chances of a successful outcome was initially seen as remote and even now is hardly advantageous until it is derived that Cinderford beat Yate 5-1 just a fortnight ago.

Thoroughly enjoyed what was an absorbing contest, however the rest of the day was a logistical pain in the arse having to contend with the prevailing rail engineering works and a scarce bi hourly bus service to and from Maldon from Chelmsford. Outward journey was not too bad taking just two and a half hours. The return was rather more difficult with the first bus not leaving Maldon until 19.37 and an attempt to find JDW fodder sustenance was thwarted by 'an hour wait for food due to staffing issues'. Little in the way of joined up travel from Chelmsford onwards with lengthy waits there and also at Upminster Mortise turned and Yale unlocked at 22.26 i.e. many hours after the Beef on the Felixstowe table had been enjoyed and this is a destination in the same county as RM 17 and barely 30 miles away. Harumph!!!.....

(This post was edited by timmy tabby on May 6, 2019, 11:13 AM)


May 6, 2019, 7:58 AM

Posts: 13657
Location: Outer Cheltenhamshire
Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #13 of 18 (2957 views)
Re: [timmy tabby] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As you may have gathered, I either write nothing, or an inordinately long ramble. This is in the latter category and is also available with pictures at

Normandie Regional 3, Group E.
AS La Selle La Forge 3-1 Esperance Conde sur Sarthe
Admission Free, Attendance ~150

I've been back in France for a week, and seen three games at the Amateur levels, and not surprisingly these are more entertaining than many games, (especially in France) involving Professional and semi-Professional teams. The reason, in my opinion is that it is because these players are just there for the fun of playing with their friends and are trying to win. As soon as you get to the levels where even small amounts of money are involved, playing to not lose becomes more the case.

This is more so in France than in England. Oddly, I think this is because there are more professional and semi-professional clubs in England, meaning the players are not so worried about losing because they will tend to find an income elsewhere if their club goes down.

Before heading for a match, I am scouring the tables looking for something with a little on it. This is not helped by the fact I have not got to grips with the number of promoted and relegated teams at each level. I know three must drop from National 3 in each Region, but the number of Regional 1 leagues varies by Region. Centre Val-de-Loire has just one division at the level, so I assume this promotes three clubs, Normandie has two, but I have seen no mention of a play-off to decide the third promoted club, while at least one region, (Grand East) has three divisions at Regional 1 level.

Below the two groups for Regional 1 in Normandie, there are four groups for Regional 2 and 10 for Regional 3. Below this are the Departmental League levels. I do not look at all divisions, Normandie may be a region, but it is still a large area and I live right down in the South. Of the five departments that make up Normandie, Orne is the smallest by population, but just marginally the second largest by area - only one group of the Regional 3 league appears to cover Orne, while none of the higher levels are close to exclusively for this department. It means that within Regional 3, Group E, there are journies that take two hours to make.

Still, I found the game between the second and third teams in the division, It was at AS La Selle la Forge, just outside Flers and almost exactly a 100km drive. The away side, Esperance Conde sur Sarthe would start the weekend two points ahead of the home team, but four behind the league leaders. Le Selle la Forge, which I saw abreviated to L'ASS on a poster at the club have a game in hand over the two teams above - to be played next Sunday, reserved as a "make up day" in the calendar with no league games originally scheduled.

The ground was easy enough to find, and the car park was close to full. This was not entirely due to the game to come, but also with a third team game active on "pitch two" as I arrived. The town itself is little more than a housing estate, around an old stone church.

The ground consists of a pitch with a concrete post and rail surround, the concrete paving is on one side only, where there is a quite modern stand. The other sides have just grass standing, although you can stand on a raised bank above the far side with a training pitch behind. Access behind one goal is limited as it is close to the trees.

Behind the other goal is the second pitch, also railed off with its own dressing room block which in turn provides a little cover from inclement weather.

A small clubhouse is at a lower level near the entrance, where no gate was being taken. Considering around 50 people were watching the lower level game and the attendance rose to around 120 for the first team game (many would have seen some of both), they may do well to consider taking a charge - but then I expect a large number of those watching have some connection, (players, former players, parents of youth players) that this could be counter productive.

When I went into the club and ordered a coffee, the barman seemed quite bemused by an Englishman who had travelled 100 km to see the game. A reminder of how small clubs are run in France, as in England - I was later told that the barman was the club President, Franck Steffan. Thanks for your hospitality, Franck. During the second half, he walked around to where I was taking pictures on the far side of the ground to introduce me to an English couple who were also at the game. The couple, Andy and Jo had lived in the area for more than a decade and their son had moved up through all the age levels at the club, before decamping to England to study at Loughborough University.

As for the game, it got off to a good start, with L'ASS ahead after just two minutes. A flicked header off a free kick by Lucas Zeniter, who seemed surprised to have scored. The home defence soon gave up too much space on their left side and Patrick Papouet exploited the weakness to fire home and equaliser. Only seven minutes gone!

The score remained unchanged until the break. La Selle had most of the better chances but remained susceptible to attacks into space on the wings.

After the break, it appeared that the referee was determined to get himself noticed. On 58 minutes, La Selle attacked down the middle and the attacker was brought down by Robin Ralu. It was deemed to be denying a clear goalscoring chance, and the red card was shown. It turned out to be the creation of a goalscoring chance. Bastien Touchet firing his free kick around to the right of the wall and straight into the net. (This is part of the picture set attached). Touchet had come on as substitute and then left the field with an injury after just under 20 minutes on the field, a telling cameo.

A second red card was shown, this time to home player Geoffrey Lecoq on 73 minutes for a similar offence. The difference being on this occasion the free kick was blocked. Soon afterwards, Andy Maillard, L'ASS's second substitute put the home team 3-1 up which practically put the contest beyond doubt.

It seemed even more so when the third red card of what was in no way a violent game meant that La Selle again had a numerical advantage. Rudy Costard was the man to go for an incident which I did not get a clear view off in the far corner. I do know the ball was already dead as we restarted with a corner for Conde.

As it was, Esperance came closest to scoring in the final minutes, and it really should have ended 3-2, but the home team held onto the two goal cushion.

Meanwhile, as I was discussing rolling subs with the English couple, my point on them was proved as La Selle took off a player with two minutes to play and then brought him back on minutes later. A clear demonstration that while the rule can help in making sure all players can get on the field, it can also be abused as time wasting.

All in all, though this was a good day out. AS La Selle La Forge rise to second in the league, but as I write I have not been able to see the result of leaders Courteille Alencon at fifth placed Andaine, so La Selle are shown 3 points behind on level games.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at

First Team Star

May 6, 2019, 8:33 AM

Posts: 1622
Location: Norwich
Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #14 of 18 (2824 views)
Re: [leohoenig] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich City Ladies - 4 Billericay Town Ladies - 2
FA Women's National League Division One South East
Clipbush Park (Fakenham Town FC)
Attendance - 74 (official)
Admission - free
Programme - none issued

With their usual home venue (Plantation Park) hosting 3 league cup finals the game was moved to Clipbush Park, which was handy for me on the way home from running the GEAR 10k in King's Lynn. Also the game had something on it, with NC needing a point to stay above Denham United and avoid relegation should DU win and not overturn the 14 goal difference between the sides.
BT off to flying start 1-0 up after 5 minutes and 2-0 after 15, NC were now hoping Enfield Town would win but fans were complaining about lack of twitter updates from the other game. NC came out a different team second half, perhaps their manager told the DU were winning just 4 minutes after the restart NC scored and either side of the hour equalised then went 3-2 up and then extended that after 68 minutes to 4-2. By now news had filtered through that DU were now 2-0 down and NC would be safe regardless. That's how it remained until the final whistle.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

May 6, 2019, 9:40 AM

Posts: 208

Post #15 of 18 (2594 views)
Re: [mxhornet] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BRENTFORD v Preston North End. kick off: 12.32. Result: 3-0. Admission £17. Programme: £3.50p. very good but should be at that price. Attendance: 11,289 - 'Absolutely sensational' according to the tannoy announcer. 'Absolutely predictable' for the final match of the season according to me.

An enjoyable end of season romp but I didn't stay on afterwards to watch the Lap of Honour, couldn't quite understand why such a thing took place for finishing eleventh? Returned home unscathed in spite of standing on the 'Terrace of Death'.

Chelsea Transfer Target

May 6, 2019, 1:43 PM

Posts: 4041

Post #16 of 18 (2088 views)
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WOKING 3 Wealdstone 2
National South Play Off Semi Final
Adm £15
Progs £3
Tea and Carrot Cake offer £5

A disappointing first half against a tough Wealdstone side saw Woking two goals down. Seemingly unable to find a breakthrough it was the introduction of super sub Paul Hodges, that once again changed the game.
Incredible scenes as not only did the home side draw level, they then grabbed victory in the last minute.
This is why we watch football Cool

Youth Team Star

May 6, 2019, 9:01 PM

Posts: 306
Location: Stourbridge
Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #17 of 18 (1660 views)
Re: [hipkissexpress] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at the Welsh cup final and have to agree it was a decent match in very convivial surroundings. I'd like to record a word of praise for referee David Morgan. Late in the game Nomad's Andy Owens was booked for simulation after a comical dive in the penalty area. I assume the player must have then said something as he was then sent off. More of this please and maybe we will rid the game of this form of cheating.

andy smith
Reserve Team Regular

May 8, 2019, 12:46 AM

Posts: 585
Location: North Suffolk
Team(s): The Pars

Post #18 of 18 (999 views)
Re: [ARL] Sunday 5th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at...
Brackley Town 0
Spennymoor Town 0 (aet Spennymoor won 5-4 on pens')
Admission £6.00 (Con')
Prog' £2.00 (These were sold out before K.O.)
Att' 1271

I'd have to agree, a poor game which Brackley probably just had the better of the chances and really bad finishing cost them in the end...


free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3