First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dave 56
First Team Sub

May 6, 2019, 3:09 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 40 (7448 views)
Shortcut
Monday 6th May 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

John Gregson Memorial Trophy Final @ Aintree Racecourse. KO 12:00. Admission £2. Free Programme (12 Pages). Crowd 87.

Marshalls Roby 2 v 3 Stoneycroft

The ground was the home of Aintree Villa and is railed off with dugouts and is actually inside the famous racecourse. The players change at the golf complex next door and parking is available at that entrance.

Stoneycroft were 2-0 in under 10 minutes and shortly after hit the bar. They added to their lead with a fine volley on 29 minutes to conclude the goal scoring in the first half.

A more even second period saw Roby improve steadily and with 20 minutes to go, scored twice in 3 minutes. Stoneycroft fell apart, constantly moaning at each other and the referee, picking up several bookings but just able to hang on for the win. Marshalls a little unlucky but will rue their slow start.

(This post was edited by Dave 56 on May 6, 2019, 3:10 PM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

May 6, 2019, 6:22 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #2 of 40 (7086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League Cup Final @ Hamble Club

Lyndhurst 2 Infinity 4

admission £3-00 inc programme, attendance est 150 (Splodge official 173)
HPFL Div 1 winners v 2nd in HPFL Senior Div
Same contestants as the Southampton Intermediate Cup Final last month, and it was the same result today, although this one was much closer. Lyndhurst were 2-0 up with 14 mins to go, but as both teams felt the results of a long season, with several Cup runs, Infinity finished the stronger and powered their way to victory. The game started with Lyndhurst winning most of the balls in midfield and Martins up front looking dangerous as usual. He had a couple of early attempts on target, the second one was blocked and Bench, following up, shot over. Infinity took a while to get into the game and Boud shot straight at keeper de Mezieres-Lepervanche. who then had to make a decent save from Phillips as he cut in from the left. The underdogs took the lead on 33 mins as a cross from the right was missed by a defender and Martins executed a good turn and instant shot into the net. Infinity replied with a header from a corner by Floyd that clipped the top of the bar on its way over. In injury time de Mezieres-Lepervanche had to come out quickly to reach the ball before an attacker. HT 1-0.
After the break Infinity started strongly and White forced a good save. But Lyndhurst again started to gain control and went two up after 52 mins as a long ball was missed by keeper S.Parker, leaving Martins time to slot into an empty net. Soon afterwards Hodgkins had a shot well saved by S.Parker. Infinity came back and had a shout for a penalty (handball), then White ran through the middle, but fell as he was shooting, so the ball was saved. Martins ran clear on the break and elected to shoot first time, missing the target. But it was more about Infinity now and Powell's fierce shot saw the ball tipped round the post into the side netting by de Mezieres-Lepervanche. Boud tried an outrageous 45-yard shot after a goal-kick came straight to him, but was over. On 75 mins came the breakthrough - a cross from the left hit the arm of defender N.Abrahams in the Lyndhurst area, and the ref gave a penalty. It was one of those where it was hard to decide either way (deliberate or not) and Bench clearly didn't agree, receiving a red card for his protests. C.Parker kept cool and converted the spot kick to give Infinity hope. We then had a flashpoint by the dugouts as Infinity were incensed about some perceived timewasting and, after a long delay, the ref sent several people on each side from the dugouts. Only one player booked, though. As we approached the end a free-kick from an acute angle from Martins was spilled by S.Parker and Martins fell over trying to reach the rebound - nothing given. On 87 mins Infinity got a hotly-contested free-kick and in the ensuing scramble White scrambled the ball in for the equaliser. We had 10 mins added on, mainly for the touchline incident; Phillips ran down the right, just failed to find White, but the ball did eventually reach White, whose header was saved. In the fifth minute of added time Infinity took the lead for the first time as Floyd headed in from a corner, and then two minutes later Phillips collected the ball on the halfway line, nutmegged a defender and set off for goal, finishing coolly to wrap the game up for Infinity.
Infinity's second Cup win of the season, and second place in the Senior Division; Lyndhurst had a Div 1 winners' trophy to celebrate, and two Cup final appearances. A game well-hosted by Hamble Club and well officiated - an enjoyable afternoon.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on May 6, 2019, 6:27 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 6, 2019, 6:23 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #3 of 40 (7069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Combined Counties Div 1 Cup Final (@ Dorking Wanderers)
Frimley Green 1-0 Epsom & Ewell
Att 242 I think they announced, inc DJ whose h/c was 305
Adm £8, prog £1

After putting the mockers on Green's title and county cup hopes, my jinx was lifted today by a solitary early goal from Latimer which finally earned them some silverware to finish off a decent season's work. They can thank their distinctively short, tubby, frizzy-haired goalie Borrett for a string of fine second half saves as well as some profligate finishing by the Salts, though they could've had a couple more themselves. An open and entertaining game which could easily have ended up 4-3 for either side.

This was the latest of multiple cup finals on the Meadowbank 3G pitch. The ground itself has been well covered on here this season but, in case anyone's still in doubt, this is a complete rebuild with no remaining trace of the characterful old ground. And with today being a bank holiday, the car park opposite was free.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

May 6, 2019, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #4 of 40 (6774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fakenham Town 0 Long Melford 1
Thurlow Nunn League Cup Final Att; 250 ish
Admission £6 Programme £1 for 32 pages, well produced by Barnes Print , Mr Barnes being the Fakenham Chairman
Played at Diss Town FC

This was really quite dismal fare on offer, settled in the first half by a good header following a right wing cross that the Fakenham keeper just could not keep out. That was really the only bit of quality on offer, with the ball being hoofed and passes being misplaced regularly. The discipline and attitude of both teams left a lot to be desired and it was no surprise when Fakenham were reduced to 10 with half an hour to play when one of their number received a second yellow for a high foot catching an opponent.
I expected more, Fakenham finished 6th in Step 6 and Long Melford only just avoided the drop from step 5, but there was a noticeable difference in the teams abilities. Long Melford always looked more likely to add to their tally rather than concede, I don’t recall their keeper having a save to make.
Brewers Green Lane is a fine venue for this level. An excellent sturdy raised stand on one side with about 250 seats is complimented by a decent covered terrace behind one goal that stretches the entire width. Curiously the officials change under the stand and the teams in the corner of the ground, meaning the men in black need to walk across the area where spectators congregate to take to the field. Surely a ground grading breach ? Otherwise a cracking venue.
Just a shame about the match...

(This post was edited by Bigaitch on May 6, 2019, 7:11 PM)

MortyVicker
Youth Team Sub

May 6, 2019, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #5 of 40 (6497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Premier South Play Off Final
Met Police 1 Poole Town 0
Admission £10, Programme sold out
Attendance : 1,025 (I think I heard)

None of the drama of the thrilling semi-final win over Salisbury on Tuesday, which was proper keeper-in-the-box-at-the-death anarchy, but entertaining all the same.

Few chances in the first half but the Police probably edged the second, forcing Cairney into a couple of decent saves from long range efforts. The winner came on 72 minutes, a brave header nodded over an advancing keeper. From my distant vantage point it looked like it had been hooked off the line but the linesman confirmed the goal.

The Met are adept at holding on to what they have and saw the game out comfortably, mostly thanks to the inability of the visitors to stay onside, meaning a subdued trek back to Dorset for Poole's vocal support, which made up half the crowd.

By far the biggest gathering I've been in at Imber Court. Programmes were all gone forty minutes before kick off - not sure how many they printed (175 on Tuesday, which sold out for a 400 crowd) but they could easily have shifted another 200 today. The poor woman selling the golden goal tickets left her post in the end, such was the volume of requests for the coveted paper.

The resilient victors got a cup for their efforts and move on to Tonbridge on Saturday for a place in National South

1dringMinstrel
Junior Team Star

May 6, 2019, 7:53 PM

Post #6 of 40 (6470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Baffins Milton Rovers 1 v 0 Portland United
Sydenhams Wessex League Cup Final
Adm £7 (incl Prog), Att 264 (at AFC Portchester)

In the warm-up a ground level, skidding shot reached the six-yard area then promptly leapt up and hit the crossbar. It was an omen. For 92 minutes of honest endeavour neither side looked capable of scoring, even after the Portland goalkeeper left the field with a broken wrist.

The pitch was so hard and dusty that it looked like a Wagon Train crossing Nevada on the California Trail. As the crowd realised another thirty minutes of 'endeavour' beckoned there was a collective sigh of relief to see a tap-in from a yard out.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 6, 2019, 8:16 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #7 of 40 (6310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1dringMinstrel] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A double header of cup matches down in Sussex. Both revisits after a couple of years.

Saltdean United 3-1 AFC Uckfield Town
Peter Bentley Challenge Cup Final

Played at Hassocks, and I don't think anything has changed since my last visit. A large crowd here, with space behind the main stand used for overflow carparking.

Uckfield started the brighter, creating several chances and even found the net within the first minute, but the striker was narrowly offside. Saltdean scored against the run of play about twenty minutes in. No more goals before half time, but Uckfield were reduced to ten men following two quick yellow cards for their #9. They did equalise five minutes into the second half, but parity didn't last long as Saltdean retook the lead. A fairly even game after that. It became 11 v 9 late on as a Saltdean effort was saved by a defender. The resulting penalty was saved, but deep into added time a freekick was converted.

Peacehaven & Telscombe 3-0 Haywards Heath Town
Sussex RUR Charity Cup Final

THe only obvious change since my previous visit was the presence of the 3G pitch. No parking at the ground, that being reserved, but nearby carparks were only £1 for the day.

P&T won this one fairly comfortably, against their higher division opponents. Two goals in the first half, the second a penalty. Thought it was a bit soft, but minutes later P&T were given a freekick for a foul which was inside the box. Their penalty taker had a rather strange technique, seeing a short run up and a crouched stance. It worked first time, but when given a second penalty in the second half his effort narrowly failed to clear the netting behind the goal. They did add a third late on, and Haywards Heath had some chances, but never really looked like getting back in it.

hipkissexpress
Reserve Team Star

May 6, 2019, 8:37 PM

Team(s): Everton

Post #8 of 40 (6112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

United Counties League Knock Out Cup Final
(played at Raunds Town)
Holbeach United 1-3 Daventry Town
Admission £6 Programme £1
Att: 180 (ish)

Good game to watch. Holbeach tried their best but Daventry simply had too much and on another day they could have at least doubled their tally. That completes the league and cup double for The Purples.

read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!
http://groundhoppersdiary.blogspot.com/

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

May 6, 2019, 8:39 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #9 of 40 (6101 views)
Shortcut

BROMSGROVE SPORTING (1) 4 CORBY TOWN (1) 3 AET Evo-Stik South Division Central Play Off Final.Admission £9 / £6.Programme £2.Att: 2,943. Exciting game with Corby coming from 1-3 down to take the game into extra time.The home side even failed to score from 2 penalty kicks.Good away support helped to make a great attendance.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 6, 2019, 8:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 40 (6076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1dringMinstrel] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Baffins Milton Rovers 1 v 0 Portland United
Sydenhams Wessex League Cup Final
Adm £7 (incl Prog), Att 264 (at AFC Portchester)

In the warm-up a ground level, skidding shot reached the six-yard area then promptly leapt up and hit the crossbar. It was an omen. For 92 minutes of honest endeavour neither side looked capable of scoring, even after the Portland goalkeeper left the field with a broken wrist.

The pitch was so hard and dusty that it looked like a Wagon Train crossing Nevada on the California Trail. As the crowd realised another thirty minutes of 'endeavour' beckoned there was a collective sigh of relief to see a tap-in from a yard out.

Also at this with Shifnal Shrew and AndyFTM, both former posters we don’t hear much (if anything) from these days. As has already been said the dry bumpy pitch certainly didn’t help matters, Portland would have probably won on a decent surface as they looked the more composed side.
Plenty of changes to the ground since my last visit, most for the better but the 200 seater stand behind the goal seems a strange addition.

Before this I went to;

Storrington Community ressies 2-0 Ewhurst K.O. 10-26
Chichester Charity Cup Final played at Arundel
Adm £3/1 inc prog which consisted of a 20 page glossy thing incorporating all finals and a four page insert about this game.
Att 130
2 sides giving it plenty and producing a reasonable 90 minutes, Storrington just about deserved the win. Ground hasn’t changed much in the past ?? Years but parking will always be a problem on a bank holiday in this place.

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 6, 2019, 8:44 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #11 of 40 (6055 views)
Shortcut

Southern League Division 1 Central play off final
Bromsgrove Sporting 4 Corby Town 3 (aet) (3-3 at 90mins)
Adm £6 (codger) Programmes sold out (before I arrived at 2pm). Lady in club shop said only 200 had been printed. Good marketing for an attendance that almost hit the expected 3,000 mark.
After half an hour of hoofball I found myself rechecking the timetable for my train home as I feared this match was destined to last at least 120 minutes and possibly longer with penalties. But then Corby broke the deadlock with a smart shot from Sandy. Bromsgrove were level with their first effort on target, Gregory stooping to head home from close range before the woodwork came to Corby's rescue. Suddenly we had a game of football on our hands. It set the scene for the second half as Bromsgrove tore into their opponents. George saved a penalty from Gregory before Bromsgrove quickly made it 2-1 then 3-1 as Jason Cowley finished off two wonderful pieces of approach play. Before the cheers had died down however, Corby reduced the arrears as Diggin fired home through a crowded goalmouth. And with five minutes left I was rechecking that timetable once more as Crawford's close range shot made it 3-3. The game was won in the opening period of extra time when the Corby defence backed off Westwood and the winger scored with a crisp shot into the bottom corner. A tense finale was ensured however, as Cowley saw his penalty pushed away by George in a frantic finish. Seven goals, yet both 'keepers, Brown and George had splendid matches.
As a Stourbridge fan I am pleased to see Bromsgrove gaining promotion as it will provide one fairly lucrative derby match following Halesowen's relegation. Kings Lynn's promotion is also welcome as it means Stour will no longer have to entertain or visit this less than gracious club.

Bullet Header
First Team Sub

May 6, 2019, 8:50 PM

Post #12 of 40 (5991 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

King's Lynn Town aren't up yet. They go to Warrington Town on Saturday for the Superduper Play-Off Final with the winners going into the National League North. Losers will stay where they are. It's Met Police v Tonbridge Angels in the other.

Hornchurchspur
Youth Team Regular

May 6, 2019, 8:58 PM

Post #13 of 40 (5890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bullet Header] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian League Premier Play Off Final
Tonbridge Angels 2 Merstham 0
Admission £7 (concession) Attendance 2268

In true Isthmian fashion we had a late start to the match although the fifteen minute delay was sensible given the length of the queues at the turnstiles. Once we did get underway this was a fairly low key affair for a play off final. There wasn't much between the teams in the first half with Merstham trying to pass the ball about with Tonbridge taking a more direct approach. Chances were few and far between and it took until the 35th minute for the first clear opportunity. Turner made space out on the left and his low cross was met simultaneously by attacker and defender with the loose ball falling to McKenzie who couldn't miss from six yards out. Just before the break what had been a well tempered game turned nasty as the two No 5s clashed after a free kick was headed out for a corner and after the usual melee the referee sent both off the pitch. I couldn't see exactly what happened from my position but I did notice both players continuing their “discussions” in the tunnel.

Merstham had much more of the ball in the second half and continued with their short passing style but to very little effect. Three substitutions made no difference and by the 90th minute all chance disappeared as one of the Tonbridge forwards nipped between two defenders and was brought down. Turner hammered the penalty home and all that was left was for Tonbridge to play out time and contemplate their super play off at Imber Court on Saturday.

kirby knitters

May 6, 2019, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #14 of 40 (5881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MortyVicker] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another one at
Met Police 1 Poole Town 0
Adm £10
Prog £2
Att 1026
Becks Vier £3.65
Nothing really to add to MortyVicar report apart from Poole fans on the train heading back to London all agreed the gate was no more than 600!!.

Had no idea what to expect of the ground but was very impressed with everything. Booze and food all reasonably priced, will probably never return but well worth a visit for anyone that's never been

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on May 6, 2019, 9:00 PM)

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 6, 2019, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #15 of 40 (5797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bullet Header] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry you are correct. No disrespect to Warrington, but here's wishing Kings Lynn well.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 6, 2019, 9:39 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #16 of 40 (5626 views)
Shortcut

West Lancashire League Prem Div
Turton v Whitehaven 1-0 (f&n, att 35)

I assume this match was scheduled for a rare bank holiday fixture in this league to save Whitehaven having to make the long journey in midweek, but, even so, the visitors had a bare eleven players and one man (manager?) on the bench.

Particularly in the first half, Turton battered and battered away at the Cumbrians' goal,but their only success was Sisson's 51st minute penalty which was clearcut enough.

To say the ground is tucked away is an understatement. There doesn't seem to be any vehicular access, but a footpath leads it to from Moorfield, where you can follow the sign towards 29-30 Moorfield (I think). At the end of that path, you approach a railed off pitch, with the changing rooms in a corner behind the goal, and a clubroom down the side, just around the corner. Refreshements are available from there,and there is also a slight overhang which was welcome during the rain at the start of the game. Subsequently, I moved towards the halfway line, where there is some elevated viewing, which offers a good view of the South Pennines as well as the pitch.

I travelled to Entwistle station from where it's a 25 mimute walk to Thomason Fold along a number of single track roads, passing up and down hill and across a reservoir. It's a very attractive area and I did have a wander around. The three pubs in the village all looked very promising, but the only one which was open was the Black Bull on Bolton Road (Lees with guest beers), which I really enjoyed.

ARL
Reserve Team Regular

May 6, 2019, 10:34 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #17 of 40 (5313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Div 1 Central Play-off final
Bromsgrove Sporting 4 Corby Town 3 (aet)

Adm: £9, Prog £2, Tea: £1, Att: 2943

After staying overnight at Cherwell Valley services I made the astonishingly quick and easy journey to Bromsgrove, arriving earlier than anticipated. Bromsgrove isn't the most fascinating place to kill a couple of hours, so when I went into a cafe for lunch I was quite glad when they told me it would take 25 minutes...

I was in the ground at around 1:15 and was far from the first one in. After walking round the ground for a bit I settled on a seat in the main stand, which was already well-populated. By 2:20 the tannoy announcer was saying that the stand was full, by 2:35 the Shed was full and they were advising people not to change ends and to pick a place to stand and stay there for the whole game. As everyone got there early, there was no need for a delayed kick-off.

The game wasn't great to start with, but once Corby took the lead it took off and became a classic, the second half in particular. If Barcelona had scored Bromsgrove's second goal the pundits would have been talking about it for hours, such was the quality of passing and movement in the build-up and the finish. The third goal arrived a couple of minutes later (Bromsgrove having already had a penalty saved as well) and it looked all over then, but Corby fought back brilliantly to level at 3-3. After sitting in the same seat for over three hours I finally got up to visit the toilet and get another tea.

Extra time was great as well, and Bromsgrove went back in front just before the interval. In the second period they had the ball in the net again but the ref had already blown for a penalty and the Corby keeper produced a second superb penalty save. Bromsgrove held out for a win which was deserved, but you had to feel sorry for Corby.

My first visit to this ground, and what a fantastic ground it is. Possibly not the ideal occasion to visit with a crowd this size, as I usually like to move around, but in the end the stand was the ideal place to watch a great game.

Easy trip back on the M40, and I could have been shafted by the M25 closure in Essex (I think it's still closed now) but fortunately few people seem to know about the back route from J26 to Gallows Corner, so I was hardly delayed at all.

(This post was edited by ARL on May 6, 2019, 10:35 PM)

Bullet Header
First Team Sub

May 6, 2019, 10:34 PM

Post #18 of 40 (5307 views)
Shortcut

From the Bromsgrove Football Forum - https://www.bromsgrovefootball.org.uk/....php?9376-We-done-it - re: programmes

I am considering doing a programme re-print of today's match vs Corby if there is sufficient demand. Email me at
http://[email protected] if you are interested.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 6, 2019, 11:15 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #19 of 40 (5088 views)
Shortcut

6.45pm (actually began a few minutes early)
York League, Junior League Cup QF
Malt Shovel 4 Bubwith White Swan 1 (att 32 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

I was last at Malt Shovel in August 2017 when they played on the second pitch so I was pleased to have an opportunity to return for the railed off main pitch, especially on a day when there was little football to chose from and other commitments ruled out a daytime game.

The York League's Junior Cup is for teams outside the premier and first divisions, so having won division two Malt Shovel were always likely to see off Bubwith, who finished 10th out of 12. They made hard work of it though, despite dominating possession and creating countless chances.

The visitors took a short lead inside the opening minute, but it was level by half time. Heroic defending and excellent goalkeeping meant it took Malt Shovel until 65 minutes before they went ahead. That ended Bubwith's resistance, and two more home goals followed.

The railed off pitch is the nearer of the two from the entrance, parking area and portable buildings with serve as changing rooms. No dugouts or cover, but nearby industrial buildings provide a striking backdrop. The pitch railings look older than Malt Shovel FC's foundation date, so I'd be interested if anyone knows who played at the ground previously.

On my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...with-white-swan.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

May 6, 2019, 11:37 PM

Post #20 of 40 (5004 views)
Shortcut

Bromsgrove Sporting 4-3 Corby Town (AET, 3-3 at full-time)
Southern League Division 1 Central play off final
Att: 2,943
Adm £9

Another at Bromsgrove, where the home team made little impression in the first half and were very fortunate to get an equaliser out of the blue before the interval. Second half was a different story as they raced into a 3-1 lead and missed a pen, only for Corby to step up a gear again and force extra time. But just when you thought the visitors were in the driving seat, they barely made any further impression as Bromsgrove took over again, netted a fourth and missed another spot kick. Absolutely cracking game and I'm pleased I saw this rather than chasing a tick somewhere.

As mentioned by other posters, people arrived very early indeed and most seemed to be in place when I rocked up 40 mins before kick-off, though there were still over 100 people ahead of me at the turnstiles. The 'Corby' end and the sloped standing on the far side looked the least busy, so I headed there but getting from one end to the other is not easy as the clubhouse side is only a couple of yards wide. During the game there must have been hundreds of people drinking pitch-side from plastic pint glasses, cans & bottles - I thought this was banned, clearly it can't be.

The Victoria Ground is one of non-League's classic venues and reminds me of North Shields' old Appleby Park. There's a large covered terrace extending the full width of one goal, open terracing at the opposite end, and the far side has a decent main stand with raised seats & a terraced paddock below. It's only let down by a lack of space on the (near) clubhouse side, which has flat concrete standing with a roof over the central section. There's a small car park behind one goal and as it's quite near the town centre you're probably best heading away from the centre for street parking options.

Loiner
First Team Star

May 6, 2019, 11:51 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #21 of 40 (4938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
6.45pm (actually began a few minutes early)
York League, Junior League Cup QF
Malt Shovel 4 Bubwith White Swan 1 (att 32 h/c)
Free admission, no progs

I was last at Malt Shovel in August 2017 when they played on the second pitch so I was pleased to have an opportunity to return for the railed off main pitch, especially on a day when there was little football to chose from and other commitments ruled out a daytime game.

The York League's Junior Cup is for teams outside the premier and first divisions, so having won division two Malt Shovel were always likely to see off Bubwith, who finished 10th out of 12. They made hard work of it though, despite dominating possession and creating countless chances.

The visitors took a short lead inside the opening minute, but it was level by half time. Heroic defending and excellent goalkeeping meant it took Malt Shovel until 65 minutes before they went ahead. That ended Bubwith's resistance, and two more home goals followed.

The railed off pitch is the nearer of the two from the entrance, parking area and portable buildings with serve as changing rooms. No dugouts or cover, but nearby industrial buildings provide a striking backdrop. The pitch railings look older than Malt Shovel FC's foundation date, so I'd be interested if anyone knows who played at the ground previously.

On my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...with-white-swan.html

Selby RSSC played at Dennison Road in the WRCAL!

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 7, 2019, 12:11 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #22 of 40 (4883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Devon & Exeter League Division 5
Culm United 1-2 Dunkeswell Rovers
Attendance peaked at 45. F + N.

After attending the first of two T20 cricket matches at Sidmouth in the morning (see appropriate thread) it was back to football in the afternoon at the lowest level I have seen (Step 13) depending on where Perry Street League Division 1 fits into the pyramid. Despite the level it was a very watchable game with the lowly hosts taking a surprise early lead. The visitors levelled midway through the first half and finally won the game late on to keep their title hopes alive ahead of their showdown at leaders Exmouth Spartans on Wednesday. Tim from this forum also in attendance.

Culm United play at Magelake Meadows in the village of Uffculme, 4 miles north east of Cullompton. It's a nice set up with the village hall, where the players changing rooms are situated, providing elevated cover about 10 yards back behind the goal to the north. The east side is enclosed by trees with the car park behind. Behind the goal to the south is a farm on a hill with a large barn overlooking the ground while a second pitch runs parallel to the main one on the west side.

buncranaboy

May 7, 2019, 12:36 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #23 of 40 (4832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Alliance Prem : Seaton Delaval Amateurs 0 Killingworth 7. Admission £3; No programmes. Attendance : 59 (hc)

An early start for Karb and myself for this midday kick-off a few miles north-west of Whitley Bay. A thankfully quiet M1/A1M saw us cover the journey in 3 hrs 20 mins with the ground easy to find, opposite the Co-Op on the northern edge of the village. Or not so easy if. like me, you drive straight past it and get lost in a maze of a modern housing estate.
And what a cracking ground Wheatridge Park is. Dating back to the 20's, it's reminiscent of one of those tatty classic Scottish Junior grounds with crumbling uneven terrace all round, mostly overgrown on three sides. The clubhouse side to the right has the best of the terracing with the central section of five or six steps covered by an old-fashioned enclosure, much more robust and capacious than it seems at first glance. In the centre of the terrace is the serving hatch for the cafe which remained resolutely shut but apparently the clubhouse bar was open upstairs, access through the players entrance round the side of the stand. The absence of fodder and hot drinks was not a problem with the Co-Op literally across the road.
Lurking in the stand were fellow posters Mick and Martin55 who soon wandered off to the far side where the smallest cover I've ever seen stood on the halfway line; capable of accommodating three at a push, it contained two chairs with no room for anything or anyone else.
Killingworth needed 4 points from their final three games to lift the title and having won 6-0 against todays opponents only a few weeks ago, they were soon nailed on for three of those points with early goals and a home sending off. Four up at the break, they spend much of the second half missing sitters but still managed seven against a home team who kept at it to no avail. A point at home to Gateshead Res on Wednesday will clinch top spot; failing that it's away to Newcastle Univ on Saturday, the only team who can catch them and who have a better GD.
No GBG's in Seaton Delaval, so Karb selected the Dog and Rabbit micropub in nearby Whitley Bay with an excellent selection of local ales, just one of a number of said establishments in the town. Much enjoyed by my passenger whose turn it was to doze on the homeward leg with key in door just after 7.30.
A much better appreciation of Seaton Delaval is provided by The Accidental Groundhopper who I believe posts on here, thus I attach it

http://theaccidentalgroundhopper.blogspot.com/...dge-park-seaton.html

scottsas
Youth Team Star

May 7, 2019, 12:55 AM

Post #24 of 40 (4813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Harthill Royal 0-5 Stoneyburn, East Region League Cup
Gibbshill Park
£5, no progs, Pie £1, can of irn bru 50p
Att 82 hc
A few hoppers present, including from down south, saw a comfortable win for the visitors, the home team going down to 10 men at 0-1 in the 32' minute. Lovely own goal for the 5th as well.
Gibbshill one of the easiest grounds to find anywhere, sitting at the end of the main road, literally 10 yards outside Harthill and only just in the West Lothian boundary, the signs on the road outside the ground marking the Lanarkshire / Lothians boundary. Pavilion and pie stall behind the west goal, and a small covered enclosure on the south side, otherwise grassy standing all round.
Pleasant evening, good company, and a chippy outside the ground also
Previously Polkemmet Utd in a different guise, Harthill returned to the juniors in the early 1990s, but dropped out for a few seasons a few years ago. Talk of an artificial surface to be installed, but these appear to have stalled. There is a small artificial 5 a side court behind the bottom goal

Windy
First Team Sub

May 7, 2019, 2:02 AM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 40 (4768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottsas] Monday 6th May 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Les Phillips Cup Final (Western League) - Plymouth Parkway 2 Willand Rovers 1 - Admission £6 - Programme £1 - Attendance 428. Played at Sherborne Town

With Willand winning the league on the last day and PP finishing second, this looked like a decent final with a hint of revenge in the air, and that’s how it proved to be.

Both sides put in some feisty challenges early on and it was simmering throughout but it never really boiled over. PP took the lead after 14 minutes when a Jamie Lowry cross was volleyed home by Adam Carter abs the lead was doubled on the half hour when a long ball from the halfway line was taken down in the area by Mikey Williams who checked back before firing high into the left corner. Willand hit the bar from a free kick but got on the scoresheet just after the hour after a free kick was given away by Ryan Lane just outside the area and Brett Worbey stepped up to send the set piece over the wall and into the top right corner.

At the end after a long wait for the medals to be given out, there was a touch of amusement when the cup was lifted by Plymouth Parkway’s captain and in the huddle when they all celebrated, they started singing the old ‘Champione’ song, with then the song being sung by the Willand players as they left the pitch to go to the dressing rooms. A good final and good to see both sides at full strength with the season all but over a week ago.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3