Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 4, 2019, 1:38 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #51 of 107 (4271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The EFL could have ordered the Bolton - Brentford game to be played behind closed doors, I think that gets round the SAG issue and the game could kick off on Tuesday afternoon

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

southend statto
First Team Star

May 4, 2019, 1:46 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #52 of 107 (4257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

that's a good idea but far too logical for the EFL.

I'm wondering if they'll now change the fit and proper rule too?

miswell
Reserve Team Star

May 4, 2019, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #53 of 107 (4132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The EFL could have ordered the Bolton - Brentford game to be played behind closed doors, I think that gets round the SAG issue and the game could kick off on Tuesday afternoon

That might have been considered if either club were able to affect promotion/relegation.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

May 7, 2019, 10:13 AM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #54 of 107 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ever since Thatcher's day, football has had to jump through hoops whereas rugby, being a posh lads' sport, has no specific laws of the land directed at it.

Where is your proof that rugby has no specific laws of the land directed at it? Indeed, does football have specific laws directed at it, and if so what are they?

I admit I do come at this without a great deal of knowledge, or where to look, so may have been incorrect in what I said earlier in the thread.

derekn
First Team Star

May 7, 2019, 10:38 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #55 of 107 (3695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Ever since Thatcher's day, football has had to jump through hoops whereas rugby, being a posh lads' sport, has no specific laws of the land directed at it.

Where is your proof that rugby has no specific laws of the land directed at it? Indeed, does football have specific laws directed at it, and if so what are they?

I admit I do come at this without a great deal of knowledge, or where to look, so may have been incorrect in what I said earlier in the thread.

The Football Spectators Act 1989. Note that it specifically applies to Football.

jon b
First Team Star

May 7, 2019, 10:57 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #56 of 107 (3672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Hm.

Alternatively…

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/...ring-stadium-safety/

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 7, 2019, 11:29 AM

Post #57 of 107 (3657 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The Football Spectators Act 1989. Note that it specifically applies to Football.

Do you regard this as an act of governmental spite?

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

May 7, 2019, 2:47 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #58 of 107 (3573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I think Paul, that the game was eventually played, leaving this one on the same web pages

Ah yes, you're quite right. So Bolton v Brentford is only the second time a FL fixture stays unplayed. I did like the tweet which showed Bolton 0-1 Brentford (Bassini OG, 89) Laugh

Re Safety Advisory Group, it's just that, an advisory group. It has no powers as such but its does work with local authorities as its they who ultimately decide whether or not to issue a safety certificate. Once the local authority decided not to issue a safety certificate for the Bolton game then it'd have been the league (or is it the club?) who called the game off.

The Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 and the Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987 are the relevant legislation, in Scotland, England and Wales. They require certain sports grounds to apply to the local authority for a 'safety certificate'. Generally this means sports grounds with a capacity for more than 10,000 spectators (designated stadium), or stands in sports grounds providing covered accommodation for more than 500 spectators (regulated stand). Different Local Councils award safety certificates in different ways - usually the Police, Fire, Ambulance, Building Control and Health & Safety will be involved in issuing a certificate at the start of the season. This will be "re-confirmed" before each home game, usually by Police and Health & Safety along with the club.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

May 7, 2019, 4:13 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #59 of 107 (3532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you Prorege for that information - very helpful. I knew there'd be legislation for all stadia above a certain capacity regardless of the sport it is hosting.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 8, 2019, 11:10 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #60 of 107 (3283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Statement from the chairman says he's "left with no alternative" but to place the club in administration: https://www.bwfc.co.uk/...m-from-the-chairman/

So they'll start next season with a 12 point deduction, apparently. Can't help feeling this is still a better outcome for all parties, even the creditors, than jumping into bed with the likes of Bassini. And it must be doubtful whether, with his record of bankruptcy and a previous ban from football, he'd have passed the fit and proper test anyway.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

May 8, 2019, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #61 of 107 (3210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Statement from the chairman says he's "left with no alternative" but to place the club in administration: https://www.bwfc.co.uk/...m-from-the-chairman/

So they'll start next season with a 12 point deduction, apparently. Can't help feeling this is still a better outcome for all parties, even the creditors, than jumping into bed with the likes of Bassini. And it must be doubtful whether, with his record of bankruptcy and a previous ban from football, he'd have passed the fit and proper test anyway.

The deduction is likely to be more than that with the punishment for failing to fulfill the Brentford game. As we haven't actually entered administration as yet, and with only a fortnight to sort the mess out, I think the whole thing is sadly far from over.

windydcfc

May 8, 2019, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #62 of 107 (3165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The deduction is likely to be more than that with the punishment for failing to fulfill the Brentford game. As we haven't actually entered administration as yet, and with only a fortnight to sort the mess out, I think the whole thing is sadly far from over.

I don’t feel at all sorry for the club. I feel sorry for the local businesses & authority that will not see a penny. The club will get away with paying a fraction of its debts. If ever a club was a basket case, then Bolton Wanderers are at the top. No doubt they’ll be bought out of administration & in a couple of years time they’ll be on the up again. I’d throw them out the league & not allow them back until every penny was paid back.

paulh66

May 8, 2019, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #63 of 107 (3120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Until someone discovers how to extract blood out of a stone then, assuming a buyer is not forthcoming, administration then potentially liquidation are the only remaining steps available. Bad debts are an inevitable part of business and business people understand that and try to mitigate against it. Once in administration, any new owner that brings the club back out of it will likely want/need to re-establish both goodwill amongst the community and trading relationship with at least some of the creditors - relationships which will likely be far more beneficial to those creditors in the long run than expelling the club from the league in the vain hope they'd ever generate enough funds to pay back even a fraction of the original debt. Same principle would apply if it ever reached the liquidation stage and we were talking about a phoenix club.

Saying all that, I wouldn't be averse to seeing them have a taste of non-league football, but that's purely because of past rivalries! Cool

(This post was edited by paulh66 on May 8, 2019, 2:22 PM)

windydcfc

May 8, 2019, 5:38 PM

Post #64 of 107 (3051 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Until someone discovers how to extract blood out of a stone then, assuming a buyer is not forthcoming, administration then potentially liquidation are the only remaining steps available. Bad debts are an inevitable part of business and business people understand that and try to mitigate against it. Once in administration, any new owner that brings the club back out of it will likely want/need to re-establish both goodwill amongst the community and trading relationship with at least some of the creditors - relationships which will likely be far more beneficial to those creditors in the long run than expelling the club from the league in the vain hope they'd ever generate enough funds to pay back even a fraction of the original debt. Same principle would apply if it ever reached the liquidation stage and we were talking about a phoenix club.

Saying all that, I wouldn't be averse to seeing them have a taste of non-league football, but that's purely because of past rivalries! Cool

I believe they owe £46million or £56 million(I forget exactly which one). Those involved in trying to rescue them, are really interested in the Hotel & not paying back the debt. They owe the local authorities £1.2 million. These are astronomical figures for a Div1 club. How they were allowed to finance a promotion winning team only 2 seasons ago is a joke. When they should’ve been trying to service the debt. Those involved in trying to rescue them, are now arguing as to who should finance the administration. The Hotel should be sold & then last see who’s interested in saving the club.

derekn
First Team Star

May 13, 2019, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #65 of 107 (2753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

12-point deduction confirmed for next season for going into administration.

https://www.efl.com/...t-bolton-wanderers3/

(This post was edited by derekn on May 13, 2019, 5:01 PM)

kirby knitters

May 13, 2019, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #66 of 107 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Possibly more coming when the EFL discuss sanction to be imposed for failing to fulfil the Brentford game? Middlesbrough lost points for the same thing albeit slightly different circumstances and it was the PL who dealt with that one.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

May 14, 2019, 9:35 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #67 of 107 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Possibly more coming when the EFL discuss sanction to be imposed for failing to fulfil the Brentford game? Middlesbrough lost points for the same thing albeit slightly different circumstances and it was the PL who dealt with that one.

There has been half a suggestion that any deduction for the Brentford game would be deducted from the 2018/19 total given that the offence took place during that season. Not sure of the accuracy of that, but that was certainly the case with Middlesbrough, albeit they committed their offence earlier in the season and the deduction had a marked effect on the league table.

jon b
First Team Star

May 14, 2019, 7:10 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #68 of 107 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Desperate times. Apparently, Bolton staff have had to turn to a Food Bank.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48268140

One bright spot is that it seems there has been a helping hand from another Championship outfit.

It's a tough environment outside the Premier League.

BDA_85
First Team Regular

May 15, 2019, 9:36 AM

Post #69 of 107 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It's a tough environment anywhere if you allow it to be.

007Dale
First Team Star

May 15, 2019, 10:50 PM

Post #70 of 107 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's a tough environment anywhere if you allow it to be.

As if things couldn’t get any worse for Bolton, Basinni has declared he’s going to try and buy them from the administrator.

Given he couldn’t find the money a few weeks ago, not sure where it’s going to come from now.

windydcfc

May 23, 2019, 3:41 PM

Post #71 of 107 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Bolton Wanderers "hours from administration" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to an article in the Independent, any prospective buyer must have proof that they have £25mil to take control of the club https://www.independent.co.uk/...ership-a8926406.html

paulh66

Jun 13, 2019, 1:02 PM

Post #72 of 107 (1191 views)
Shortcut

Preferred bidder now identified by the administrators. All being well, terms should be signed off tomorrow, at which point the identity of the new owners should be made public. More at https://www.bwfc.co.uk/....XQIyXB5wqVA.twitter

paulh66

Jul 17, 2019, 7:55 PM

Post #73 of 107 (813 views)
Shortcut

I'd assumed this was all playing out to plan, despite the delays. But I see Bolton players have gone on strike again over unpaid wages, forcing the cancellation of the upcoming friendly with Chester.

windydcfc

Jul 17, 2019, 8:11 PM

Post #74 of 107 (811 views)
Shortcut

Having two different administrators hasn’t helped matters(one for the hotel & the other for the club). I understand that this had to happen because one of the clubs creditors is the hotel.

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 7:32 AM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #75 of 107 (601 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'd assumed this was all playing out to plan, despite the delays. But I see Bolton players have gone on strike again over unpaid wages, forcing the cancellation of the upcoming friendly with Chester.

Another friendly cancelled due to the players being on strike. Various media sources saying that the administrators are not paying the players and the prospective new owners seem to be suggesting some form of phasing of repayment once the takeover happens. Given that the players are one of the groups who have to be paid in full if the club isn't to be kicked out of the league, things are sounding ominous.

The local paper is reporting that, allowing for players who are still there but have handed in their notice, the club currently only have 7 players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49057652
https://twitter.com/.../1152564273232695297

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3