Pubs which refuse to take cash

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 11, 2019, 11:35 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #1 of 8 (869 views)
Shortcut
Pubs which refuse to take cash Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have heard of this before, but today was the first time I encountered a 'card-only" pub.
After today's game at Slyne with Hest, with a 25 minute wait for a bus, I popped into the Lodge. After ordering a pint, I was told that they don't take cash. Forunately, I had credit and debit cards on me, but I don't know what would have happened if I did not. It is evidently a recent change, as other customers were warned too.

I can understand the security improvements in not taking cash, and so not having to bank it, but I can't get my head around a business which would refuse to accept a valid payment.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 12, 2019, 12:48 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 8 (822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Pubs which refuse to take cash [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Same at the Cat & Cage, a new micropub in Stirchley. Surprised not to see MoldersSavingExpert in there Tongue

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

May 12, 2019, 5:57 AM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #3 of 8 (779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Pubs which refuse to take cash [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a new bar opened up in Bridlington (The Stackhouse), the owners only accept cards and contactless payments "because of the cost and risk of processing cash these days, and the massive amount of forgeries going round".

leohoenig
Administrator

May 12, 2019, 7:00 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 8 (763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Pubs which refuse to take cash [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The movement against actual cash has gone further in China, where every market stall can take payment using your smartphone. (Not cards though).

This causes problems for people like me who do not have the feature on their phones (and it requires a Chinese bank account). Arriving at a Chinese League 2 (tier 3) game, I had trouble getting a ticket. They would take cash but I was the only cash customer and they did not have change. I had to find another customer who could change my note

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

May 12, 2019, 8:31 AM

Post #5 of 8 (726 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Pubs which refuse to take cash [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the other side of the argument, I was working in Withernsea a few months ago, tried three places to get something to eat using our employers debit card (they don't do petty cash now), and ended up having to pay for the food myself because none of the establishments took card payments. Having said that, just having running water and electricity is a bonus in Withernsea.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

May 12, 2019, 10:30 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 8 (684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Pubs which refuse to take cash [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
On the other side of the argument, I was working in Withernsea a few months ago, tried three places to get something to eat using our employers debit card (they don't do petty cash now), and ended up having to pay for the food myself because none of the establishments took card payments. Having said that, just having running water and electricity is a bonus in Withernsea.

Dear old Withernsea and Holdermess.

The land that time forgot.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

May 12, 2019, 11:18 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #7 of 8 (481 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I have never had the pleasure of visiting Withernsea, but were any of them Sam Smith's pubs? In the north (I believe different policies apply in the south), they don't take card payments, even for food.

Either way round, it seems a strange way for businesses to behave when it will only deter certain customers.

Also in the north, I think that Northern Rail ticket machines (which are often at unstaffed stations) only take card payments. There is a cash option, but I believe it just prints a "promise to pay" ticket, which at least reduces potential fraud by proving the station where the passenger got on.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

May 13, 2019, 11:17 AM

Post #8 of 8 (395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Pubs which refuse to take cash [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I have never had the pleasure of visiting Withernsea, but were any of them Sam Smith's pubs? In the north (I believe different policies apply in the south), they don't take card payments, even for food.

Either way round, it seems a strange way for businesses to behave when it will only deter certain customers.

No they weren't pubs. One was a really nice Fish & Chip shop/cafe (The Lifeboat), one was a popular bakers (Cooplands I think), and we ended up eating in Trax Cafe (now closed). They were all popular and busy places, so yes I agree it's a strange way for a business to behave. PaulC is right, it really does feel like the land that time forgot in that area, though that can be a good thing when you're walking along to Spurn Point.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3