Next Prime Minister?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 21, 2018, 4:37 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia MŲnchengladbach

Post #51 of 314 (7811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Lord Havelock Vetinari.

The Patrician stood for no nonsense.

I had to google him to find out who he was and was surprised to discover that he is a science-fiction character.

Does that rule out Emperor Wang the Perverted then?

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Dec 21, 2018, 7:48 PM)

jrev61

Dec 21, 2018, 7:02 PM

Team(s): None

Post #52 of 314 (7687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ataturk had one of the major things that tends to blight attempts to be benevolent dictators, (as most at least start with good intentions - although I would not like to speak for Putin)

This is that he did not suffer from longevity. The view of his rule is tempered by the fact that much of his reform programme was in line with (and in some cases ahead of) thinking in western democracies.

If you look back at the careers of people like Suharto and Magabe, then when they first came to power they were popular - they could have won democratic elections. Power corrupts, and both these dictators became more corrupt as time went on. Their families and cohorts were enriching themselves out of connections to power. Both in their later years were more concerned with hanging on to power, (if only not to be arrested for what they have already done).

Salazar probably holds the longevity record for dictators from 1932 to 1968.Unusually his title was Prime Minister rather than President or some other grand title like Fuhrer, Duce or Caudillo.

jrev61

dottirofhod

Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #53 of 314 (7526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"El comandante" Fidel over 50 years.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 93 / 79 / 14 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 23 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

jrev61

Dec 21, 2018, 10:23 PM

Team(s): None

Post #54 of 314 (7169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
"El comandante" Fidel over 50 years.

Well the European record anyway!

jrev61

jon b
First Team Star

Jan 16, 2019, 2:55 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #55 of 314 (3948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We seem to have entered some strange sort of Brexit twilight zone where no matter how badly things go wrong for the Government the Prime Minister stays in place.

For me the question isn't so much, how does she survive as PM (what sane person would want the job in the current circumstances) rather why on earth does she want to? Unsure

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 16, 2019, 9:36 AM

Post #56 of 314 (3866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Carry on Theresa, keep on representing your own self interest and ignoring the needs of the country, after all it's the only thing you're good at.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2019, 10:50 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #57 of 314 (3831 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

She must have more brass neck than anyone in the history of British politics. She called a General Election, which she said she wouldn't, to get a mandate, which she already had, for a policy that she had campaigned against; only to lose her majority. She has suffered more parliamentary defeats than any PM in decades, including failing to get her Finance Bill through unamended, culminating in a record defeat on her flagship policy last night. She has survived a vote of confidence in which the majority of her backbenchers opposed her.

Why doesn't she resign? Why are her backbenchers not taking the opportunity to threaten to vote against her in today's no confidence motion unless she goes. It would take fewer than ten of them to get her out and, provided her replacement can win a confidence vote within 14 days, there would not have to be a General Election which could see them out of power. What have they got to lose?

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 16, 2019, 12:38 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #58 of 314 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
provided her replacement can win a confidence vote within 14 days, there would not have to be a General Election which could see them out of power. What have they got to lose?

I think you have answered your own question

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Richard Rundle

Jan 16, 2019, 12:42 PM

Post #59 of 314 (3769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Why are her backbenchers not taking the opportunity to threaten to vote against her in today's no confidence motion unless she goes. It would take fewer than ten of them to get her out and, provided her replacement can win a confidence vote within 14 days, there would not have to be a General Election which could see them out of power. What have they got to lose?

The backbenchers had the chance to force her out before Christmas and failed.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 16, 2019, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #60 of 314 (3724 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
She must have more brass neck than anyone in the history of British politics. She called a General Election, which she said she wouldn't, to get a mandate, which she already had, for a policy that she had campaigned against; only to lose her majority. She has suffered more parliamentary defeats than any PM in decades, including failing to get her Finance Bill through unamended, culminating in a record defeat on her flagship policy last night. She has survived a vote of confidence in which the majority of her backbenchers opposed her.

Why doesn't she resign? Why are her backbenchers not taking the opportunity to threaten to vote against her in today's no confidence motion unless she goes. It would take fewer than ten of them to get her out and, provided her replacement can win a confidence vote within 14 days, there would not have to be a General Election which could see them out of power. What have they got to lose?

Conservative Party rules state that there can't be a leadership challenge for 12 months after a previous challenge and a motion to oust her was defeated before Christmas. I don't know whether there are special circumstances where a fresh challenge could be made within 12 months. Of course, May could resign but not opt for a GE.

At the moment. no one seems to want the job and if they do then it would be a career ending time to take on the job of PM. Once a clear(er) path to Brexit has been agreed with both parliament and the EU then MP's will be queuing up take May's job

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

jon b
First Team Star

Jan 17, 2019, 1:47 PM

Post #61 of 314 (3548 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And surprisingly, given his vilification in the party after pulling the rug from under Bojo's leadership campaign in 2016, towards the head of the queue will be Michael Gove.

https://www.conservativehome.com/...nding-up-speech.html

Not a site I thought I'd ever provide a link to, but I think that speech will be brought to mind by Tory MPs and party members when May takes up hill walking full time.

I don't suppose Labour MPs expected that the Confidence debate would conclude with them sat stoney faced, squirming in their seats and trying not to nod in agreement when Gove laid bare Jezza's unfitness for being entrusted with the role of PM.

As for my lot's Leader, dancing Vince, it was nice that Gove gave him a mention, even though it was in the form of a joke.

(This post was edited by jon b on Jan 17, 2019, 2:05 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2019, 12:50 AM

Post #62 of 314 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Sadly, I missed the bit where Mr Gove ruled out the Gotham City candidate for PM.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...-Prime-Minister.html

PaulC

Mar 27, 2019, 8:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #63 of 314 (1544 views)
Shortcut

007Dale
First Team Star

Mar 28, 2019, 5:50 AM

Post #64 of 314 (1488 views)
Shortcut

The next PM will be decided by Tory party members, who are vehemently pro-Brexit.

However the shortlist of two, will be decided by Tory MPís who are in the majority soft brexiteers or remainers.

With only c100 MPís being hard brexiteers, iím not sure they have enough support to get one of their kind on the ballot box.

Given the unwavering ambition of brexiteer MPís, I doubt theyíll unite behind one and therefore the members could have a choice between two non-Brexiteers

Iím thinking, Amber Rudd and Jeremy Hunt.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 28, 2019, 7:09 AM

Post #65 of 314 (1467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The deal still won't pass so Theresa May will stay on and on and on.

Lucky us Frown

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 28, 2019, 7:23 AM

Post #66 of 314 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Given the current spectacular mess devised and orchestrated by the Tories, the next PM should be the Labour party leader. Any halfway decent Labour politician would be a shoo in.

But the members elected Jezza.........

Doh.

Richard Rundle

Mar 28, 2019, 7:36 AM

Post #67 of 314 (1443 views)
Shortcut

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tory MPs end up with one favoured candidate and one candidate making up the numbers, and then that second candidate withdrawing "to preserve unity in the party" and the membership being denied the opportunity to choose the leader for the second time in a row.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

May 24, 2019, 10:34 AM

Post #68 of 314 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So who will be the anyone but Boris candidate?

PaulC

May 24, 2019, 1:28 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #69 of 314 (974 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
So who will be the anyone but Boris candidate?

Anyone but Boris.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 24, 2019, 3:56 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #70 of 314 (934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So the end of May has been delayed until June 7.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

May 24, 2019, 4:05 PM

Post #71 of 314 (928 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So the end of May has been delayed until June 7.

Or maybe longer.

Someone else becomes leader of tory party but can't get a commons majority, then what? Is she still PM? Fixed term parliament act makes a general election more difficult and this weird situation a tad more likely, though unlikely I admit.

northstandexile
First Team Regular

May 24, 2019, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #72 of 314 (868 views)
Shortcut

The only Tory guy talking any sense is Dominic Grieve.

However there would be no chance of him being Prime Minister.

steve walker
Administrator

May 24, 2019, 10:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #73 of 314 (828 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember joking a few years ago that we could have Boris running things here and Trump in charge on the other side of the Atlantic.
It's like your worst nightmare coming true

jon b
First Team Star

May 25, 2019, 6:25 AM

Post #74 of 314 (741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I remember joking a few years ago that we could have Boris running things here and Trump in charge on the other side of the Atlantic.

Bojo the Clown becoming PM does seem like our worst nightmare.

Until you look at the Labour front bench and search in vain for someone who could run a bath, never mind a country.

jon b
First Team Star

May 25, 2019, 6:34 AM

Post #75 of 314 (740 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I remember joking a few years ago that we could have Boris ruining things here and Trump in charge on the other side of the Atlantic.

Predictive text can be a nightmare, I think it sneaked a misspeak into your post. I've corrected it.

Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3