First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 28, 2019, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #76 of 314 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They just don't learn do they? Every candidate for the Tory leadership is wittering on about uniting the party. That will lead them straight back to where they are now. Uniting the Tory party is not important, getting the country out of this mess is. State your views, campaign on them and, if you win, ignore the others. If they don't like it they can leave for another party or start a new one.

Oh for the good old days when the likes of Margaret Thatcher, Tony Benn or Enoch Powell told you what they believed and campaigned and acted on those beliefs. You then voted for them knowing what you were going to get.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

May 29, 2019, 2:04 PM

Team(s): None

Post #77 of 314 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Boris is being taken to court for lying during the referendum campaign and the election campaign.
Perhaps Yatesman could give evidence on his behalf as he is one of the few people in this country who didn't spot any liesSmile

jrev61

jon b
First Team Star

May 29, 2019, 4:55 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #78 of 314 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having turned us into an international laughing stock with Brexit the Tories are now giving us the broad farce of a leadership campaign involving eleven contenders. So far.

The eleven include one guy that I'd never even seen a photo of or even heard speak on radio before yesterday.

The antics of Cameron and May seem to have convinced Tory MPs that, if theirs is the level of competence required, literally anyone can be PM.

In normal circumstances the bumblings of these Keystone Kop Tories should enable Labour to be a shoo in at the next GE.

But Jezza isn't a normal circumstance. Crazy

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 29, 2019, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #79 of 314 (1381 views)
Shortcut

Indeed, any half-credible opposition should be wiping the floor with this government yet Labour are also imploding under their own incompetence. Still think it was all a prank that made Corbyn leader - the ultimate oxymoron.

007Dale
First Team Star

May 29, 2019, 5:46 PM

Post #80 of 314 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Indeed, any half-credible opposition should be wiping the floor with this government yet Labour are also imploding under their own incompetence. Still think it was all a prank that made Corbyn leader - the ultimate oxymoron.

The irony of expelling Campbell for voting against Labour by the most rebellious labour MP during Labour’s 13 years in office.

For labour to sweep the next GE, make Kier Starmer leader now. Get John McDonald and Diane Abbot as far away from the Labour front bench as possible.

They’ve only got to nudge slightly right to defeat the Tories. If they don’t, I honestly think the Tories could put Anyone in as PM and they’d win.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

May 29, 2019, 7:12 PM

Post #81 of 314 (1329 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Boris is being taken to court for lying during the referendum campaign and the election campaign.
Perhaps Yatesman could give evidence on his behalf as he is one of the few people in this country who didn't spot any liesSmile

Shame its just him!
I hope they throw the book at him
He will be a martyr to the Brexit cause
No Doubt he will have Putin and Trump as character witnesses with his defence being funded by Aaron Banks.
Would be great to see his opening prime ministers speech behind bars.
Its just a pity we don't have impeachment over here!

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Yatesman
First Team Star

May 29, 2019, 9:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #82 of 314 (1291 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

It's a private prosecution.

If by few you mean 17.4 million I agree.

Boris didn't lie because the bus statement based on the gross amount we send to the EU before rebates ......whether or not £350 million is accurate to the nearest penny is not really important. The message was about the principle of us sending vast amounts to the EU that could be used domestically on projects of our choosing .
Anyway, I'm not sure his role in the Leave campaign was an aspect of his public office. He undertook that role as an individual, not in any official govt capacity.

The bus slogan was vigorously and emphatically challenged during the election so what's the problem?

Any half arsed law student could see this spurious and vindictive claim dismissed.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2019, 12:15 AM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #83 of 314 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Boris didn't lie because the bus statement based on the gross amount we send to the EU before rebates ......whether or not £350 million is accurate to the nearest penny is not really important. The message was about the principle of us sending vast amounts to the EU that could be used domestically on projects of our choosing .
Anyway, I'm not sure his role in the Leave campaign was an aspect of his public office. He undertook that role as an individual, not in any official govt capacity.

The bus slogan was vigorously and emphatically challenged during the election so what's the problem?

Any half arsed law student could see this spurious and vindictive claim dismissed.

Mayor of London until 9th May 2016, a public office I believe, if that helps clear up your lack of certainty.

I have to smile at your predictable defence of your boy but I'm pleased that you aren't shouting Project Fear yet, as is normal when a Brexiter is confronted with facts. Anyway you should be commended for your loyalty and the way you are sticking to your principles. It provides hours of mirth in our house. Keep up the good work but prepare yourself, just in case......

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

jon b
First Team Star

May 30, 2019, 12:19 AM

Post #84 of 314 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Boris didn't lie because the bus statement based on the gross amount we send to the EU before rebates ......whether or not £350 million is accurate to the nearest penny is not really important.

How about accurate to the nearest £100 million? Is that too much to expect from a prospective PM? Cool

He lied through his teeth. It's what he does. It's what he always does. Bojo the clown with his pants on fire for PM! Ah well, I suppose it's appropriate for the Brexit farce that's made us an international laughing stock.

The mystery is why anyone knowing anything of Boris would believe a word he says.

Of course, the reason why Brexiters are happy to suggest another Referendum 10 or 20 years down the line is that they know that the Rebates that currently reduce the £350 Million by £100 Million would not be on offer, so annual membership on rejoining the EU would cost much more than currently.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

May 30, 2019, 1:21 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #85 of 314 (1239 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

........so annual membership on rejoining the EU would cost much more than currently.

If it still exists in its present form, which is debatable in its own right!

As for politicians lying, well it is their stock in trade.
To prosecute Johnson is laughable and I would wager that it will only benefit him in his quest for the top job.

This current furore surrounding Johnson pales into insignificance when compared to ....

Clegg....I will vote against raising tuition fees and then promptly traipses through the lobby to triple them
Corbyn.....I have never met the IRA
Blair.....Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction
Osborne..... A Leave vote will result in a recession and an extra 80,000 unemployed

Not one of these liars was prosecuted.
The jury in these cases is the electorate.
If every politicians lie was prosecuted the courts would be overflowing.
I rest my case Tongue

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on May 30, 2019, 1:50 AM)

jon b
First Team Star

May 30, 2019, 2:00 AM

Post #86 of 314 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Clegg's case I'm not sure which was the bigger lie, his pledge to reduce Tuition Fees pre the 2010 GE or his very belated apology after voting for the opposite when in office.

You're right, of course, about the comical idea of holding politicians to account for their campaign lies through the courts. But we seem to have entered a twilight zone where the absurd has become the norm.

Yatesman
First Team Star

May 30, 2019, 7:26 AM

Team(s):

Post #87 of 314 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Mayor of London until 9th May 2016, a public office I believe, if that helps clear up your lack of certainty.

I have to smile at your predictable defence of your boy but I'm pleased that you aren't shouting Project Fear yet, as is normal when a Brexiter is confronted with facts. Anyway you should be commended for your loyalty and the way you are sticking to your principles. It provides hours of mirth in our house. Keep up the good work but prepare yourself, just in case......

Obviously I'm not aware of every utterance of Johnson and in what capacity it was said, but the general principle of the court case is ridiculous tbh because pretty much every politician in a principle role will have said things that they will argue was their understanding of the situation at that time.

Clegg's tuition fee stance was bare faced lying and he sold out his voters for a seat of power in Cabinet.
What about all the Project Fear nonsense from Remain politicians, Mark Carney et al?
Will climate change scientists and their advocates be hauled through the courts in 2029 when we find the planet hasn't died and our ecology hasn't collapsed by then?.........Their 'lies' doesn't mean their general message isnt indicative and relevant does it?

As for Johnson being 'my man' .......That's laughable. I can't stand the man. He's a total buffoon and not fit for high office.......That's a statement you can file away for future reference should you require.

My principles are quite straightforward.....hold an election then honour the result.

EU membership is simply a trading arrangement with a few whistles and bells that we are in the process of adjusting. It's not life or death as the liars in the Remain camp would have us believe.

Yatesman
First Team Star

May 30, 2019, 7:28 AM

Team(s):

Post #88 of 314 (1189 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

........so annual membership on rejoining the EU would cost much more than currently.

If it still exists in its present form, which is debatable in its own right!

As for politicians lying, well it is their stock in trade.
To prosecute Johnson is laughable and I would wager that it will only benefit him in his quest for the top job.

This current furore surrounding Johnson pales into insignificance when compared to ....

Clegg....I will vote against raising tuition fees and then promptly traipses through the lobby to triple them
Corbyn.....I have never met the IRA
Blair.....Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction
Osborne..... A Leave vote will result in a recession and an extra 80,000 unemployed

Not one of these liars was prosecuted.
The jury in these cases is the electorate.
If every politicians lie was prosecuted the courts would be overflowing.
I rest my case Tongue

Exactly that .....

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2019, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #89 of 314 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

He was also an MP during the campaign, which is a pretty public office.

The maximum penalty for misconduct in a public office is life imprisonment. Can I nominate 649 others, who can often be found in the Westminster area?

jon b
First Team Star

May 31, 2019, 11:14 PM

Post #90 of 314 (979 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Having turned us into an international laughing stock with Brexit the Tories are now giving us the broad farce of a leadership campaign involving eleven contenders. So far.

The eleven include one guy that I'd never even seen a photo of or even heard speak on radio before yesterday.

Make that 12 and 2. Crazy

(This post was edited by jon b on May 31, 2019, 11:15 PM)

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 1, 2019, 7:28 PM

Post #91 of 314 (906 views)
Shortcut

Rory Stewart appears to be the only credible candidate of the 12.

He is the only one who doesnt want to bragg about how far they can throw the UK over a cliff!

PaulC

Jun 2, 2019, 8:42 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #92 of 314 (840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westminster voting intention:

BREX: 26% (+1)
LAB: 22% (-4)
CON: 17% (-5)
LDEM: 16% (+4)
GRN: 11% (+7)
CHUK: 1% (-1)
UKIP: 1% (-1)

Next PM might be Farage.

Just how stupid is the UK electorate? 26% would vote for a one-man party (actually not a party but a company) with a single policy.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 2, 2019, 12:46 PM

Post #93 of 314 (788 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Rory Stewart appears to be the only credible candidate of the 12.

He is the only one who doesnt want to bragg about how far they can throw the UK over a cliff!

Maybe another credible candidate too. Sam Gyimah becomes the 13th to enter the race and backs a second referendum.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 12:48 PM

Post #94 of 314 (783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Westminster voting intention:

BREX: 26% (+1)
LAB: 22% (-4)
CON: 17% (-5)
LDEM: 16% (+4)
GRN: 11% (+7)
CHUK: 1% (-1)
UKIP: 1% (-1)

Next PM might be Farage.

Just how stupid is the UK electorate? 26% would vote for a one-man party (actually not a party but a company) with a single policy.

This shows exactly why Cameron called the referendum in the first place. It also serves as a convenient reminder ahead of the Tory leadership election as to what would happen if a Rory Stewart or the like became leader.

Tory’s will look at this and vote in a hard brexiteer.

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 2, 2019, 8:53 PM

Post #95 of 314 (723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cameron called the Referendum because he'd made a stupid pledge that he never for a moment thought he'd have to honour, and then to his surprise found he'd won an overall majority in the 2015 GE and had painted himself into a corner over a Referendum.

Even then I think he'd have reneged on the promise if he hadn't thought he could blag his way to victory as he'd done in other contests.

The big question now is, if a no-dealer is elected leader, can he/she herd his/her MPs into line to go along with something that the Remainer and Soft Brexiter Tory MPs genuinely consider will seriously damage the nation.

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2019, 10:12 PM

Post #96 of 314 (608 views)
Shortcut

Jezza''s 1970s Citizen Smith style response to a state visit by the Head of State of by far our most important ally confirms he is completely unfitted to be PM.

As for the current Tory runners and riders, I'd go for Gove. Not something that at one time I ever thought I'd say. Unlike Johnson I"ve been impressed by his record in office and his defence of Theresa May in the HofC confidence debate was a tour de force (are we still allowed to use French phrases? Cool )

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2019, 10:19 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #97 of 314 (602 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Jezza''s 1970s Citizen Smith style response to a state visit by the Head of State of by far our most important ally confirms he is completely unfitted to be PM.

As for the current Tory runners and riders, I'd go for Gove. Not something that at one time I ever thought I'd say. Unlike Johnson I"ve been impressed by his record in office and his defence of Theresa May in the HofC confidence debate was a tour de force (are we still allowed to use French phrases? Cool )

Totally agree with your analysis Jon....by far and away the 'best' man for the job. He is intellectually sound and unlike many in the party not tainted by an Etonian background.

https://youtu.be/HjrEpFi3QOE

Keir Starmer would be my preferred candidate but that could be a few years down the roadUnsure

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Jun 4, 2019, 10:26 PM)

PaulC

Jun 10, 2019, 11:13 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #98 of 314 (497 views)
Shortcut

You're allowed to change your mind, of course, now that he has outed himself as a hypocritical cokehead.

Boris Johnson, true to form, is pandering to the greed and selfishness of his fellow Tories by offering big tax cuts to those earning double the national average.

Just forget about the 4.5 million children and one million pensioners living in poverty, the million plus who are referred to foodbanks, the lack of funding of schools, police, NHS. Let's give back more to the rich.

Richard Rundle

Jun 10, 2019, 12:20 PM

Post #99 of 314 (484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So among the candidates, we've got

One who's mantra about hard drugs seems to be "do as I say not do as I do"

Another who wants to restrict access to abortion for women

One who wants us to default on our sovereign debt to the EU, and then basically spend all the net saving on contributions from leaving the EU on tax cuts for the richest 8% of the population

Another two who want to suspend parliament for months to force the leaving of the EU with no deal

And that's to say nothing about some of the stupid statements that have come out in the last 48 hours about how they'd deal with the UK/EU border in Ireland.

What a lovely bunch the Conservative party members have to choose from!

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 10, 2019, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #100 of 314 (475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So among the candidates, we've got

One who's mantra about hard drugs seems to be "do as I say not do as I do"

Another who wants to restrict access to abortion for women

One who wants us to default on our sovereign debt to the EU, and then basically spend all the net saving on contributions from leaving the EU on tax cuts for the richest 8% of the population

Another two who want to suspend parliament for months to force the leaving of the EU with no deal

And that's to say nothing about some of the stupid statements that have come out in the last 48 hours about how they'd deal with the UK/EU border in Ireland.

What a lovely bunch the Conservative party members have to choose from!

Totally agree - what a complete and utter shambles.

At least Boris Johnson is now finally coming clean regarding his reasons for supporting Brexit.
Tax cuts for the rich as a starting point - no doubt followed by removing employees rights once we’re free from EU ‘red tape’.

Great news for all the ‘City’ based Old Etonian elite. Incredible how many people are taken in by our written media, toffs like Jacob Rees-Mogg and charlatans like Nigel Farage.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3