The Hundred

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 31, 2019, 7:11 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 24 (938 views)
Shortcut
The Hundred Can't Post or Reply Privately

Being only an irregular visitor here these days, apologies if I've missed a discussion on this, but what is the general feeling around this parish about 'The Hundred'....coming to the cricket season next summer.

Me? In brief...

I can't see what it gives that T20 doesn't give already, what happens to all other competitions over the 5 weeks that it is on and the crass 'names' suggested for the new 'franchises' doesn't bode well.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2019, 8:28 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2 of 24 (906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All of the above.

Given how parochial the English (the Welsh, too?) are, naming the teams after individual cities is an odd strategy. Though a fairly broad-minded chap, I'd rather lose a testicle than support something with 'Leeds' in its name. Will, say, Coventrians be enthused about 'Birmingham Phoenix'?

That said, the simple fact it's going to take place during the school summer holidays - guaranteeing 'young family' hell - will be enough to keep me away.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 31, 2019, 8:48 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 24 (898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coventrians already have Birmingham Bears so probably not.Sly

007Dale
First Team Star

May 31, 2019, 9:08 AM

Post #4 of 24 (891 views)
Shortcut

It’s the thin wedge in to eventually drop Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Northants, Kent, Worcestershire etc.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2019, 9:49 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #5 of 24 (871 views)
Shortcut

The ECB have already shown their contempt for the current county set up in any number of ways, the marginalisation of 4 day country cricket, lack of weekend days' play, the reduction of the one day cup to a "development" competition (even though the primary World Cup tournament is still 50 overs a side) and this, a kick in the teeth for the counties who were generating reasonable income from the current T20 model. The ECB obviously think county cricket in all its forms is "old hat" and are hell bent on re-branding to a city-based set up which they hope will eventually take over.

I hope it falls flat on it's overblown gimmicky arse, along with it's player auctions, ten ball overs and everything else.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

scottywalds
First Team Star

May 31, 2019, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #6 of 24 (868 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I can't see what it gives that T20 doesn't give already

Free-to-air televsion exposure.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 31, 2019, 10:30 AM

Post #7 of 24 (843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the responses - which pretty much echo my thoughts.

The free to air TV one is a good point.

It almost seems that there are two forms of the game that used to be called cricket now evolving.

It's entirely unreasonable to berate the hitting power, athleticism and verve of the limited over format of the game - in whatever form it is played.

But with its shortened boundaries and huge restrictions on what the fielding side can do, and how the bowler can bowl, it no longer is the game as a contest of bat against ball as played at Test and 4-day level.

Perhaps as happened in rugby 120 or so years ago, two forms of a game are evolving from a common ancestor.

Entirely agree it's a way of trying to get rid of matches like yesterday's low scoring, icily cold but in many ways gripping encounter at Grace Road played out in front of perhaps 200.

And aren't those 'nicknames' so mid-90s cheesy?

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2019, 10:59 AM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #8 of 24 (833 views)
Shortcut

'Change is not good'.

Geoffrey Trueman.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

May 31, 2019, 11:08 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #9 of 24 (824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
'Change is not good'.

Geoffrey Trueman.

That's why I'm still Brexit Ned , oops sorry wrong thread.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 69 / 59 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 19 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 31, 2019, 12:20 PM

Post #10 of 24 (797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sure change can be good...as I said, who can be against the athleticism etc that T20 type stuff produces.

Who can be against trying to take the game to the mass population centres.

But the game that is being created, whilst based on cricket certainly isn't cricket as she is known.

If you have to have the hundred, go the whole hog and take it to places like the Olympic Stadium, St. James' Park or the Etihad - or indeed any modern stadium - with a drop in pitch.

And change the scores so that 'over the ropes = 6, into the crowd = 8. out of the ground =10'

Since we're trying to make money, give loud and brash spectacle and attract people to a game played with bat and ball, let's stop pretending we're in the same sport as played sedately on greenswards across the nation.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2019, 12:58 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #11 of 24 (788 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Entirely agree it's a way of trying to get rid of matches like yesterday's low scoring, icily cold but in many ways gripping encounter at Grace Road played out in front of perhaps 200.

I was lucky enough to be at the second (and final) day of last season's County Championship Somerset v Lancashire encounter at Taunton. Only 538 runs were scored in the entire game which ended in a tie in front of at least 3500 on a Wednesday in September. While I accept that 2 days isn't ideal, it's hardly an example of the county game dying on it's arse.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

May 31, 2019, 1:16 PM

Post #12 of 24 (771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I express myself badly.

I entirely agree with you that the encounter you describe - and indeed the Leics Derby game earlier this week would have been tense affairs. To the fan such things are good entertainment

But to the media moguls who seem to see :

Lots of big hitting and 6's = entertainment
whilst
Grimly grinding things out in slow pursuit of a target = tedium.

...you can see why such moguls might want to find a reason - wrongly in my view - to deem such contests as unworthy.

Or, more simply, I agree with you!

cope1

Jun 3, 2019, 9:09 AM

Post #13 of 24 (607 views)
Shortcut

I think the 100-ball game has been developed to give the ECB a second bite at the t20 cherry upon which they failed to capitalise first time around. While other countries have developed highly lucrative franchise leagues, England is still stuck with 18 counties, many of which are not fit for purpose in top level sport in the 21st century.

I prefer the long game and 50-over cricket but if you're going to have any chance of maintaining or growing a share of the sports market in the 21st century you've got to make changes. That means fewer teams in the hands of people who have a modern perspective, not those who are hanging on to privilege afforded them by an anachronistic set-up which has hampered the ECB for years.

People often complain about the shorter forms not being 'real cricket' which is fine, but there is a financial bottom line which does not allow to the indulgence of forms and teams which are not paying their way. It's one thing to supp the day away with a championship match ebbing its way past, but that may not be the same animal that most other people want to see.

I must say, however, that whatever else you say about this new competition the names they've come up with are so bad I wonder if a group of millenials came up with them as a spoof based on rugby league from the Super League foundation era.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 3, 2019, 9:30 AM

Post #14 of 24 (600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't mean to jump back at you - just an idle moment at work gave me chance to read your post.

Tend to agree with much of what you say...but might argue that the idea of 'paying your way' in the modern sporting world, esp the higher levels of footy is pretty much an alien concept given the crazy 'overdrafts' that are the norm.

Yes, Leics, Northants etc are loss making, hardly the kind of groups that you'd want to take things forward and the historic baggage needs to be jettisoned. But, as you say, renegades from 1990s RL renaming fiascos are hardly promising.

And I get what you are getting at by appealing to a modern audience..I just resent the fact that 'modern' always has to be short-term, empty of nuance, loud, garish and carried out to the accompaniment of sub-par disco boogie beat tunes,

cope1

Jun 3, 2019, 4:30 PM

Post #15 of 24 (536 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I would also prefer that they made more of what is already there instead of further diluting the product for immediate impact by reducing it to the 100-ball format. and if I had my way we'd go back to long form and one day with t20 left for after-work recreational cricket but of course we can't wind the clock back.

The biggest problem with the county structure is the number of sides. The Aussies had to add 2 for the BBL; there have always been around half a dozen domestic sides in West Indian cricket; Pakistan's domestic scene has all manner of different sides, few of which have any real identity so nothing to be lost with a new set of teams. The odd one out is India where there are now 37 first class teams in the Ranji. Ironically the IPL is the most successful of all the t20 franchise leagues. I would prefer to see a t20 franchise league with about 8 sides than what is being offered.

PS. with regard to appealing to a modern audience, it drives me up the wall when people defend dumbing down of sport by with the words "we need to appeal to a young audience". It assumes that young audience would prefer a comic-strip version of the game instead of the real thing instead of giving them a chance to make up their own mind.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Jun 3, 2019, 4:35 PM)

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jun 3, 2019, 8:26 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 24 (496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's something of the tail wagging the dog about the Hundred. Basically the only reason it is 100 balls and not T20 is because the ECB wanted to get it on free to air, and the BBC said they'd only show it if it could be done and dusted in 2 and a half hours or so. And even then its only a small proportion of matches, the rest will be on Sky.

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

(This post was edited by intheshire on Jun 3, 2019, 8:28 PM)

Steelback
First Team Star

Jun 4, 2019, 6:48 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #17 of 24 (433 views)
Shortcut

Northamptonshire are not loss making, a number of successful concerts in recent years have been profitable and given the club another valuable revenue stream.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

cope1

Jun 4, 2019, 7:31 PM

Post #18 of 24 (422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Much like most televised sport in that case. Football might not alter the duration but it alters kick-off times, as we all know.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 4, 2019, 8:23 PM

Post #19 of 24 (409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Perhaps as an overall business they are solvent - and good luck to them for diversifying to get the dosh coming in.

But in the context of this thread, I think it's clear it's the number of punters coming through the gate to watch the cricket that's being discussed...and the sad fact is that the gate for the 2nd day of a 2nd div game in September isn't going to pay for much more than the cucumber in the umpires' tea time sarnies.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2019, 10:31 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #20 of 24 (353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Northamptonshire are not loss making, a number of successful concerts in recent years have been profitable and given the club another valuable revenue stream.

So it's the ground that's profitable, not the cricket club...

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2019, 3:05 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #21 of 24 (313 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Perhaps as an overall business they are solvent - and good luck to them for diversifying to get the dosh coming in.

But in the context of this thread, I think it's clear it's the number of punters coming through the gate to watch the cricket that's being discussed...and the sad fact is that the gate for the 2nd day of a 2nd div game in September isn't going to pay for much more than the cucumber in the umpires' tea time sarnies.

Hasn't the lack of paying customers always, or at least since the advent of TV, been a problem at 4 day (previously 3 day) county cricket games? With the exception of a few games each season, most games are watched by members plus a handful of paying fans.

Money taken at the gate tended to come mainly from one day games in which ever form that took. Remembering back to the 1970's and 980's there would be huge crowds for Sunday League games (40 overs) and for the 60 over KO, usually played on Wednesday.

Both these formats are no longer used, the 60 over KO is now 50 over group format and the 40 over is now T20. Since the longer game (4 day) isn't a money maker, these games should all be scheduled for Monday-Thursday or Tuesday-Friday with certain games played over a weekend, I'm thinking the Roses match* and Surrey v Middlesex*, there could be others. Weekends should be left for T20 and 50 over games when a larger crowd is more of a possibility.

*Only possible if the counties are in the same division

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jun 5, 2019, 6:35 PM

Post #22 of 24 (295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Entirely concur

As someone who can remember the International Cavaliers, the Gilette Cup (65 overs a side - all in a day!) and the well-hidden free gate so that those of a religious persuasion could gain entrance for free on the Lords Day (that's the celestial not NW London Lord) your point about the former huge crowds coming to see what were then deemed as exciting and vibrant forms of the game which would change things forever - which they largely did - the fragmented modern cricket calendar is a terrible thing.

Since gate receipts at the CC are an irrelevance, and Test players no longer meaningfully play for their counties, I can't see why 16 weeks of Mon- Thu or Tue - Fri CC cricket (with, as you say occasional 'specials like in my case Bears vs Pears) and Fri night w/ends free for whatever variant of limited overs stuff is the current mode isn't entirely workable.

Playing important CC games in the last week of Sept due to 'lack of fixture time' whilst stretches of June and July have days clear just so one 20/20 can happen is mad.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2019, 8:18 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #23 of 24 (283 views)
Shortcut

The group stage of the 50 over one day cup is a bit like the group stage of the Champions League and Europa League in that it has become stale except for a few games. From what I recall, the 50 over format was changed from straight ko to group games to better prepare England players to win the ICC World Cup, which seem to have been very successful. The straight ko of the then Gillette Cup pulled in big crowds for a game with progression to the next round at stake. It also gave minor counties a bumper pay day and on the odd occasion the minor county beat the first class county.

Since the one day cup, in many cases, doesn't feature England players playing for their county then I see no purpose for the current format.

After the novelty has worn off I can see the Hundred going the same way and could probably follow the John Player League and B&H Cup into old Wisdens as a reminder that it once existed.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

cope1

Jun 5, 2019, 9:30 PM

Post #24 of 24 (269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] The Hundred [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Speaking after a few glasses of vino and a thrilling Bang-NZ match (thrilling on radio, at least) I am perhaps overly favourable of 50-over cricket but I miss the days when the Sunday/National League mirrored the Championship season, being played throughout, and I wish we could have a knockout tournament including minor counties again.

T20 leagues around the world seem to be suited to short, condensed schedules, which I'm sure could be fitted into the schedule, just so long as the one day stuff isn't marginalised the way it currently is.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3