Demolished grounds

pokal02
First Team Star

Jun 22, 2019, 2:29 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #1 of 14 (2305 views)
Shortcut
Demolished grounds Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whiling away the close season by looking at some old records, I was surprised to count that 25 of the first 51 grounds I visited (between 1970-81) have been totally demolished. Of the other 26, one (Poole) is AFAIK intact but not used for football, Griffin Park's demolition is imminent and two more (Wembley Stadium & Telford) were demolished but rebuilt on basically the same site.

Interesting to know whether 50+% of grounds from that era are no longer with us or I just started with an unlucky collection.

PS: Can anyone confirm whether the former Harlow Town ground (Hammarskjold Rd) still exists? I thought it did but can't see a football pitch in the area on google earth.

(This post was edited by pokal02 on Jun 22, 2019, 2:45 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 22, 2019, 2:43 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 14 (2289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A very rough, quick count suggests something like 60 of the 160 clubs at the top six levels of the English game aren't at the same ground they used in the 70s/80s. Quite a few more have rebuilt on their existing sites.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 22, 2019, 3:07 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 14 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For me, it is 30 out of the first 50 - they are almost exclusively non-League grounds in London and the South East
Ground 50, which I went to on 3 November 1976 is still there and still used by Queens Park Rangers
Their opponents that day have just moved back to Tehelne Pole, after a number of years away as it was demolished and rebuilt. The game was actually my first visit to a football league ground, and my first European tie

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 22, 2019, 3:08 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #4 of 14 (2270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And for the record, I was assuming ground number 47 (Hammarskjold Rd) has gone

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jun 22, 2019, 3:57 PM

Post #5 of 14 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And for the record, I was assuming ground number 47 (Hammarskjold Rd) has gone

If that was the sports centre with the running track, then yes it has gone. You can see it on some of the earlier History images on Google Earth. Still there in 2006 and being developed in 2009 which tallies with when they moved.

pokal02
First Team Star

Jun 22, 2019, 6:18 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #6 of 14 (2170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...and it's now 50 from the first 100. (Including Lea Bridge Rd, Leyton-Wingate and Snakes Lane, Woodford which I assume are sufficiently derelict to be regarded as demolished, if not actually so).

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 24, 2019, 5:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 14 (1733 views)
Shortcut

My 'first fifty' percentage is 42% lost grounds. Apart from two in the 70s, the period is 1980-85, and mostly non-League. Obviously, the earlier you started hopping the greater the percentage of grounds will be lost over time but the early evidence of the thread suggests that there's at least a 50% turnover of grounds over a 50-year period.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 24, 2019, 5:24 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #8 of 14 (1721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mine is 24 demolished out of 50, not including Telford and Wembley's total re-builds. I'll leave others to judge on those.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Jun 24, 2019, 10:32 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #9 of 14 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For my first 50, about 60% gone. This includes the original Wembley & White Hart Lane. Assumes Woodford Town and Basingstoke Town are now in the "demolished" category. Also not sure about the status of the old RS Southampton ground which might still be in use.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 24, 2019, 10:36 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #10 of 14 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
For my first 50, about 60% gone. This includes the original Wembley & White Hart Lane. Assumes Woodford Town and Basingstoke Town are now in the "demolished" category. Also not sure about the status of the old RS Southampton ground which might still be in use.

It is. It's part of Southampton's training ground set up and is used for U23 and U18 games.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 24, 2019, 11:28 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #11 of 14 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It is. It's part of Southampton's training ground set up and is used for U23 and U18 games.

Pedant alert ... the old RS Southampton ground is within Southamptonís training complex, but it is not the ground used for U18 or U23 games.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 26, 2019, 8:34 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 14 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Pedant alert ... the old RS Southampton ground is within Southamptonís training complex, but it is not the ground used for U18 or U23 games.

Further pedantry - the pitch used by RS Soton no longer has its stand or original buildings so falls under the same category as Telford/Wembley...

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jun 28, 2019, 11:10 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #13 of 14 (1002 views)
Shortcut

25 of my first 50 have gone, giving, wait for it 50% demolition rate...
This however includes Tottenham and Wembley which have both been rebuilt in same vicinity but does not include Poole Town which is still used for Greyhound racing and Speedway.
My first 50 also includes Clapton which looks like it has been demolished even though footy is still played there...

spen666
Youth Team Regular

Jul 3, 2019, 12:37 PM

Post #14 of 14 (750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Demolished grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Ö..
My first 50 also includes Clapton which looks like it has been demolished even though footy is still played there...

Having seen the team on several occasions, its debatable they are playing footballWinkWink

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3