Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Next Prime Minister?

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 23, 2019, 8:55 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #201 of 313 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I suspect if you scratch beneath the surface, they’ll be connected to the newspaper and basically listening out for anything that’s going on.

Plenty of blind speculation in there.

What happened to Carrie by the way? Has she been seen in public since the disturbance?

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Jun 23, 2019, 9:33 AM

Team(s):

Post #202 of 313 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I suspect if you scratch beneath the surface, they’ll be connected to the newspaper and basically listening out for anything that’s going on.

Plenty of blind speculation in there.

What happened to Carrie by the way? Has she been seen in public since the disturbance?

The headlines and twitter comments saying Boris 'brutalises ' girlfriend' is a bit speculative.

I would imagine she has just learned and is coming to terms with the reality of being in the public spotlight.

Learning that your 'nice' neighbours hate you for your political allegience and have been using listening devices and have been spying on you since you started dating Boris must have come as a shock and I imagine she's looking on Zoopla or Rightmove as we speak.

PaulC

Jun 23, 2019, 9:35 AM

Post #203 of 313 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Learning that your 'nice' neighbours hate you for your political allegience and have been using listening devices

Evidence?

coops
First Team Sub

Jun 23, 2019, 9:47 AM

Team(s): Tamworth

Post #204 of 313 (1108 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Learning that your 'nice' neighbours hate you for your political allegience and have been using listening devices and have been spying on you since you started dating Boris must have come as a shock and I imagine she's looking on Zoopla or Rightmove as we speak.

"Listening devices"?
It was a mobile phone, the shouting was loud enough the be recorded on a mobile phone in another flat.
Police advice is to call them if you fear that someone may be a victim of domestic violence, they say this because often the victim is too scared to call them for fear of more violence. The recording could have been crucial evidence in any ensuing court case.
I certainly wish my sister's neighbours had called the police on the night she ended up in a three day coma after being beaten up by her (now ex) husband. they admitted after that they had heard the shouting and things being broken but "didn't feel it was their place to intervene".

PaulC

Jun 23, 2019, 9:52 AM

Post #205 of 313 (1104 views)
Shortcut

"Tory leadership frontrunner Boris Johnson’s lead among Conservative voters has plummeted in the wake of a high-profile row his partner."
https://www.politicshome.com/...-johnsons-lead-among

PaulC

Jun 23, 2019, 10:05 AM

Post #206 of 313 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Sophy Ridge on Sky. ‘Usually when we go out we find a range of opinions. In Edinburgh we couldn’t find anyone who had anything positive to say about Boris Johnson’.

Scots, as ever, are well ahead of the curve.

windydcfc

Jun 23, 2019, 11:05 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #207 of 313 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [coops] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I agree. Almost everyone has had a barney with their partner at some point. It crosses the line when screams of get off, smashing of plates/glasses & thuds against floors or walls are heard. Boris’s girlfriend obviously loves him & after the dust had settled has downplayed the whole incident has come to his support.

PaulC

Jun 23, 2019, 12:01 PM

Post #208 of 313 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I agree. Almost everyone has had a barney with their partner at some point. It crosses the line when screams of get off, smashing of plates/glasses & thuds against floors or walls are heard. Boris’s girlfriend obviously loves him & after the dust had settled has downplayed the whole incident has come to his support.

How sweet!

You could get a job with Mills & Boon.

PaulC

Jun 23, 2019, 12:28 PM

Post #209 of 313 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Scottish independence voting intention if Johnson becomes PM
Yes: 53%
No: 47%

Panelbase

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 23, 2019, 2:06 PM

Post #210 of 313 (962 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Scottish independence voting intention if Johnson becomes PM
Yes: 53%
No: 47%

Panelbase

Out of interest, is the Scottish view on independence swayed significantly by the short-term current occupant of number 10 Downing Street, as opposed to a long term view as to what is best for Scotland?

So, for example if Jeremy Hunt, Jeremy Corbyn or Vince Cable we’re PM, would that impact on the opinion?

I guess I assumed the Scottish voters were a little less reactionary to current events, but maybe i’m wrong.

Quit

windydcfc

Jun 23, 2019, 5:14 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #211 of 313 (913 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

How sweet!

You could get a job with Mills & Boon.

Obviously not as sweet as Boris’s temper. Just adds to the narrative that even those closest to him can’t trust him. More neighbours have now come forward to say that it was more than a domestic https://www.theguardian.com/...rtner-carrie-symonds

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 23, 2019, 7:05 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #212 of 313 (885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely his political incompetence and lies should be more of an issue

This clip does not tell us whether it Johnson told a deliberate lie, or just does not understand the issue.
Coming from a minister in his own party, it does show why he cannot be trusted as an MP, let alone as PM

https://twitter.com/.../1142741823510605824

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC

Jun 25, 2019, 2:20 PM

Post #213 of 313 (680 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

That Boris photo:

https://twitter.com/...461498880221185?s=20

PaulC

Jun 25, 2019, 8:49 PM

Post #214 of 313 (617 views)
Shortcut

Ross Kempsell: What do you do to relax? What do you do to switch off?

Boris Johnson: Uh, I…I…like to paint, oh I make things, to-

RK: What do you make?

BJ: I make…I have a thing where I make…models of…and [unintelligible] was mayor of London we build a beautiful…I make buses.

RK: You make models of buses?

BJ: I make models of buses. I do

[crosstalk]

BJ: So what I do, well I don’t make models of buses, what I make is…I get…old, um, I don’t know, cr-wooden crates

RK: Yeah

BJ: Right? And then I paint them…and they have two…basically it’s a wi-it’s a box that’s been used to contain two…two wine bottles, right?

RK: Right

BJ: And it will have a- a- a- a…dividing thing

RK: Yeah?

BJ: And I turn it into a bus, and I put passengers…you really wanna know this?

RK: You’re making…you’re making buses. You’re making cardboard buses. OK, that’s what you do to enjoy yourself-

BJ: And I paint, I paint, I paint, no- I paint the passengers…enjoying themselves

RK: OK, great

BJ: On the wonderful bus

.....If only he'd said "cocaine" he would have avoided all the ridicule."

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Jun 25, 2019, 9:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #215 of 313 (611 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ross Kempsell: What do you do to relax? What do you do to switch off?

Boris Johnson: Uh, I…I…like to paint, oh I make things, to-

RK: What do you make?

BJ: I make…I have a thing where I make…models of…and [unintelligible] was mayor of London we build a beautiful…I make buses.

RK: You make models of buses?

BJ: I make models of buses. I do

[crosstalk]

BJ: So what I do, well I don’t make models of buses, what I make is…I get…old, um, I don’t know, cr-wooden crates

RK: Yeah

BJ: Right? And then I paint them…and they have two…basically it’s a wi-it’s a box that’s been used to contain two…two wine bottles, right?

RK: Right

BJ: And it will have a- a- a- a…dividing thing

RK: Yeah?

BJ: And I turn it into a bus, and I put passengers…you really wanna know this?

RK: You’re making…you’re making buses. You’re making cardboard buses. OK, that’s what you do to enjoy yourself-

BJ: And I paint, I paint, I paint, no- I paint the passengers…enjoying themselves

RK: OK, great

BJ: On the wonderful bus

.....If only he'd said "cocaine" he would have avoided all the ridicule."

An assinine answer to a pointless question.

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 26, 2019, 6:54 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #216 of 313 (560 views)
Shortcut

It's an odd question to struggle with.

All Prime Ministers have had something they turned to in order to relax or in Cameron's case "chillax".

e.g.
May - Hill walking.
Cameron - Tennis and karaoke.
Brown - Cowdenbeath FC
Blair - Tennis and guitar.
Major - Cricket

A little further back in time, Gladstone was famous for his ability to chop down trees.

There have also, of course, been attempts by politicians to pretend to have hobbies that they think make them appear "normal". One PM famously seemed confused as to whether the football team he supported was West Ham or Aston Villa.

Maybe Johnson's problem was thinking up a hobby/interest other than the obvious of playing away.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 26, 2019, 10:19 AM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #217 of 313 (524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely Raith not Cowden for Gordon Brown?

dottirofhod

Jun 26, 2019, 11:00 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #218 of 313 (504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gordon Brown
Sun 6 Aug 2000 00.25 BST First published on Sun 6 Aug 2000 00.25 BST

I was brought up in Kirkcaldy, near to where Raith play. I started going in the 1950s when I was about seven or eight.
    The first game I remember seeing was an East Fife-Raith Rovers derby on New Year's Day. My father took my older brother, John, and myself. For much of my youth John and I sold programmes outside Stark's Park on matchday. You queued up before the season began to become a programme-seller; once you had your slot you had it for the whole season. I went along on a Saturday about two hours before the match started, sold the programme and then, before half-time, I was allowed in free to watch the game, as well as being paid.
    The great Jim Baxter was playing for us then. He was a superb left-half, a tremendous passer of the ball. I remember the time he was playing for Scotland against England and taunted the English by playing keepy-uppy.
    We snapped him up while he was working as a miner in Fife: many of the Rovers players came from mining backgrounds.
    Becoming a footballer was seen as a way out of the mines. I think that's why so many players, and also managers such as Jock Stein and Bill Shankly, came from mining areas like Lanarkshire and Ayrshire.
    When Baxter left us after three seasons for Rangers, people complained that the transfer fee ( £20,000) was a disgrace, that he'd been sold far too cheaply. It was said that Baxter left Rovers because he'd had a fight with the chairman's wife - as if Raith Rovers could have held onto a player of his special talent for another few years!
    Sadly Raith have never had as much success as I'd like. People sometimes ask why politicians talk about skills and training all the time. I tell them they would too if they had to go and watch Raith every week.
    Our best moment was beating Celtic in the final of the Scottish League Cup in 1994. The match was played at Ibrox - I'm sure Rangers helped us by flooding the pitch or something! The tragedy for me was that I had to do a television interview in London that morning and my plane to Glasgow afterwards was cancelled: I had to listen to the radio commentary on the match being played down a friend's phone. We won 6-5 on penalties after a 2-2 draw. It's still the only major trophy Raith have won.
    We then drew Bayern Munich in the Uefa Cup and at half-time in the second leg over there the scoreboard carried the immortal scoreline: Bayern Munich 0 Raith Rovers 1. (We lost 2-1). Part of the reason we aren't any better is that there are three other teams in the area: Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath and East Fife. So I'm not very popular in some parts of my constituency because I support Raith.
    Of course there are many more glamorous clubs that have huge amounts of money and watching them on television is very enjoyable. But I'm a firm believer that supporting your local team, the team you've been brought up with, is very important.
    Gordon Brown, Chancellor of the Exchequer, is MP for Dunfermline East. Interview by Denis Campbell

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 35 / 30/ 5/ inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 11 / 08 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-3-2)/ Lux = 0-3 / Neth = 0-0-0-(2 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3/ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-1.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jun 26, 2019, 11:01 AM)

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 26, 2019, 12:12 PM

Post #219 of 313 (484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Yes! Cool

Where did I get Cowdenbeath from?! Doh!

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 26, 2019, 12:27 PM

Post #220 of 313 (479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Irrespective of the accuracy or otherwise of the accusation, I was surprised John Bercow didn't require Ian Blackford to withdraw the word. Bercow suggested that he withdraw it but as far as I could tell, Blackford didn't do so.

There are various words that are deemed too provocative or too great a slur on the honour of an "honourable" member to be allowed to stand. Among the words ruled over the years to constitute unparliamentary language are coward, idiot, hypocrite, traitor, swine and drunk.

Maybe Bercow thinks soon to be PM Johnson through his deliberately controversial polemics in his newspaper columns has set himself up for some rough treatment in the HofC. A worrying omen for how much of a bear pit the HofC may become in the autumn.

PMQ's might become prime time viewing, but at midday instead of the evening.

Nice quiet PMQs so far today.

Ian Blackford calls out Bojo for lying …. and isn't required to withdraw the word by Bercow.

HofC post May should really be fun.

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 26, 2019, 1:08 PM

Post #221 of 313 (463 views)
Shortcut

At the end of PMQs a Point of Order was raised about Blackford describing how Bojo "has made a career out of lying".

Bercow gave a version of the Arsene Wenger defence, in that he said he hadn't heard the relevant word.

Oddly enough, it seemed that the rest of the House did hear it.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 26, 2019, 2:26 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #222 of 313 (447 views)
Shortcut

I listened to Jeremy Hunt on the Jeremy Vine show today and all I can say is I am thankful that smell radio hasn't yet been invented. The amount of BS Hunt came out with would clear a farm never mind a room.

PaulC

Jun 26, 2019, 6:01 PM

Post #223 of 313 (382 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
At the end of PMQs a Point of Order was raised about Blackford describing how Bojo "has made a career out of lying".

Bercow gave a version of the Arsene Wenger defence, in that he said he hadn't heard the relevant word.

Oddly enough, it seemed that the rest of the House did hear it.

It's hardly controversial to say Johnson has made a career out of lying.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 26, 2019, 6:51 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #224 of 313 (366 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes! Cool

Where did I get Cowdenbeath from?! Doh!

His father was a Cowdenbeath fan. He has been at some of games presenting Chamionship throphies etc.

If you google it there is a good interview by the guy who done our Youtube interviewing him about his father supporting Cowden snd his connections with the town.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 26, 2019, 7:57 PM

Post #225 of 313 (358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I listened to Jeremy Hunt on the Jeremy Vine show today and all I can say is I am thankful that smell radio hasn't yet been invented. The amount of BS Hunt came out with would clear a farm never mind a room.

Seeing as he appears to be getting a clean run compared to Bojo, here are some of Hunt's "high-lights"

2009 Hunt co-authored a book calling for the NHS to be broken up and privatised.

2009 Hunt repaid £9500 of taxpayers money after making false second home expenses claims.

2010 As sports minister he blamed "hooligans" for the Hilsborough tragedy in which 96 people died.

2010 Hunt was caught hiding behind a tree to try and avoid being seen going to a dinner with Rupert Murdoch. WHY?

2012 Hunt was caught leaking sensitive information to Rupert Murdoch when he was responsible for handling Murdochs bid to take over BSkyB

2012 Hunt was caught in a tax evasion dodge involving 100,000 in a dodgy property deal.

2012 Hunt was in charge of the Olympics security debacle in which he paid millions of pound to private company G4S. The company was so incompetent that the police and army had to be called in.

2013 The BMA said Hunt showed "complete ignorance" in stating that he thought the abortion time limit should be reduced to 12 weeks.

2013 Hunt used £4000 of tax payers money to do a Chinese language course because he wanted to learn the native language of his then fiance.

2015 Hunt was found to have breached the confidentiality of patients by tweeting a hospital picture

2016 Thousands of junior doctors planned to quit, and subsequently many did quit the NHS because Hunt imposed new unacceptable work contracts leader to longer hours and increased risks of overly tired doctors treating patients.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3