Thursday 4th July 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 4, 2019, 9:14 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 13 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Thursday 4th July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Summer League. KO 19:00. (F&N). Crowd 30.

Doveridge 4 v 0 Weston

Another village setting, perhaps not a scenic but home to the league leaders and reigning champions Doveridge. Just one pitch here with changing rooms in the corner in the centre of the village. I settled in for a quiet evening at my 11th and final summer league ground, then I looked to my right and saw Veteran approaching!

Weston had a great chance to take an early lead but the keeper saved it and the home side went down the other end and scored the only goal of the first half, which was not particularly entertaining.

The second period was even more pedestrian with Doveridge scoring 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. The champions are beginning to look a little jaded and have lost some of their players who have begun pre season training with their Saturday teams.

Full details of the USA tour is on international hopping.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jul 4, 2019, 10:48 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #2 of 13 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Llandyrnog & District Village Clubs Summer League
Henllan 1 Llanrhaeadr 1
No admission, prof 50p, raffle £1
Tea 60p, hot dog £1, snacks available
Att. 55 appx.

Henllan don't do 0-0's but for a long time this threatened. All the goals came late in the game but it was quite watchable with chances created at either end.

The end of another Summer League campaign, my 25th since moving west. The Shield takes over next week. No more home games for Henllan though as away draws all the way if successful on Monday night at Clawdd. It seems the draw published in The Football Traveller PSF release is not all correct. The full draw is on one of the Twitter pages.

Post match saw a quick visit to The Llindir Inn in the village. Heavy Industry ale superb as always. A one off brew this time with a French name Le Bulot D'or D'amour.

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2019, 11:06 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #3 of 13 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Carrside, Epworth

Epworth Town Colts 0(0) Winterton Rangers 5(1)

Red Shirts & Shorts Blue Shirts & Shorts

Attendance 58 (Headcount)

Admission Free No Programmes or Badges

Tea £1

Colts have just relocated to Carrside the former home of Epworth Town. The car park is adequate for this level. The only furniture is the changing rooms and tea bar (only hot and cold drinks on offer). No hard standing but the pitch was roped off down most of the touchline on changing rooms side. No stands or dugouts just benches. Fortunately the weather was OK. Decent crowd including a number of familiar faces. Rangers were comfortable winners. Goalscorers were Broughton (9'), Anderson (52', 72' & 73') and Barlow (54').

Karb
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2019, 11:48 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #4 of 13 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-season Friendly
Coventry United 0-5 GNP Sports (@Cryfield Sports Pavillion)
F&N, Att: 40(ish)

With a new artificial pitch being laid at Butts Park Arena, the University of Warwick's Cryfield Sports Pavillion is playing host to their home pre-season friendlies, tonight and next Tuesday at least.

Those who know the area will know that the University of Warwick is rather more Coventry than Warwick. The Cryfield Pavillion boasts the university's outdoor sports facilities with football, rugby, cricket and lacrosse pitches, and tennis and 5 a-side courts all in evidence.

For those interested in such things, the young lady at reception told me that this game was played on pitch 5.

A pleasant place to watch on a mild summer's evening, the pitches are separated by trees, which provide a reasonable backdrop. There is no furniture and no hard standing. Be warned that parking is extremely limited. Most people risked parking on the grass verges adjacent to double yellow lines, despite signs warning of £70 penalties. As it turned out, they got away with it tonight, but some supporters informed me that they had been ticketed on a previous visit. I chose the safer option of a pay and display car park at the indoor sports centre, around a 10 minute walk away.

As for the game, GNP were stronger throughout. In terms of possession, United will feel that a 5 goal margin was harsh, but GNP looked stronger in both attack and defence, and with better finishing could easily have scored 8 or 9. United only really looked dangerous going forward when they were already 4-0 down.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2019, 11:55 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cardiff Metropolitan University 2 Progres Niederkorn 1 (2-2 on aggregate - Progres Niederkorn win on away goals)

Cardiff International Athletics Stadium: Europa League First Qualifying Round Second Leg

This was my first visit to this ground for approximately two and a half years when Cardiif City under-19s entertained their Milwall counterparts in a Saturday morning fixture prior to watching two more fixtures that day at Grange Albion and Cardiff Metropolitan University. There have not been many changes to the Cardiff International Athletics Stadium during the intervening period, although the playing area was re-laid last year, which delayed Pontypridd town’s home fixture’s when they commenced last season at the ground, and there appears to a new, bright blue athletics track surrounding the pitch. In accordance with UEFA regulations for these matches, spectators were located in the large stand situated on one side of the pitch, which provides views of the nearby Cardiff City Stadium on the other side of the main road. Tonight’s attendance was smaller than last week’s Europa League tie between Barry Town United and Cliftonville at the same venue but the Dragons have a larger core support than the Archers and their Irish League opponents brought a healthy travelling support with them. Cardiff Met University finally qualified for Europa League football after defeating Bala Town on penalties in last season’s play-off final at Maes Tegid. Progres Niederkorn finished fourth in the top-flight of the Luxembourg League last term and are no strangers to European competition in recent seasons. The visitors can list Glasgow Rangers and Honved amongst their victims in the Europa League during the last few years. Progres Niederkorn came into this evening’s second leg with a narrow 1-0 advantage courtesy of Mayron de Almeida’s 62nd minute goal last week in Luxembourg.

The traffic en route from Hereford during the later afternoon did not play ball at times, particularly from the outskirts Pontypool, which meant arrival in the capital of Wales was slightly later than anticipated. In fact, the home team this evening opened the scoring just as I was entering the back of the stadium and heading towards my allocated seat at the front of the stand. The Archers goal arrived as early as the second minute when Kyle McCarthy found Elliot Evans with a free-kick near the halfway line and the returning Jordan Lam was on hand to head home the cross from close range. The Archers seemed to be content to sit on their early lead and did not create too many clear goal scoring opportunities during the remainder of the opening period. The Luxembourg visitors looked to forge an equaliser in the closing stages as they fired an effort over the crossbar after a 39th minute crossbar was partially cleared but a Progres forward latched on to a through ball just a minute later but pulled an effort wide of Will Fuller's far post. The visitors saw a cross from the left side of the penalty area clip the top of the crossbar four minutes after the interval before Cardiff Met levelled the scores from a 67th minute penalty. Debutant Mael Evans was pushed in the back by a Progres Niederrkorn defender and Dylan Rees converted the subsequent spot-kick. Despite going ahead in the tie for the first time in the tie, the Archers were pegged back five minutes later, following a neat passing move that saw the visitors move into the Cardiff Met penalty area and De Almeida was on hand to strike sweet volley past Fuller. That goal was a great blow to the Welsh Premier League club and the majority of the crowd present but hosts nearly scored a third goal in stoppage time. The Progres goalkeeper did well to save a shot on the goal line after the ball travelled through a melee of players on the edge of the penalty area before he made a full-length save from a 20 yard drive that appeared to be heading into the Luxembourgers' goal.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 20
Matches: 5
New Grounds: 2

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 5, 2019, 8:03 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #6 of 13 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Cardiff Met for my first game since October last yearShocked I enjoyed the game and had a decent spot high up the stand adjacent to the halfway line. Chap next to me was updating his mobile throughout the game for a sports data company. Attendance was 1316.

Nice to see the chore of night time British motorway driving has not changed. Home not long before I turned into a pumpkin.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jul 5, 2019, 8:05 AM)

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 5, 2019, 8:47 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #7 of 13 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
Fairford (0)0-(1)3 Gloucester City
Free Entry!

Walk in the park for Gloucester this under a hot Gloucestershire sky. Not much to report really as spent most of the game catching up with people I hadn't seen since last season so the game became something that was going on in the background really!

Food superb as always in Spikes bar. Can't recommend it high enough if people get a chance to visit.

Only complaint would be that the potholes on Cinder Lane haven't been repaired over the summer, so it is a real uncomfortable couple of hundred yards in your car down to the ground once you leave the main road in Fairford.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jul 5, 2019, 9:46 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 13 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wharles 5-2 Catterall....Catforth Summer League Div 2...F&N...k.o 1930

A short drive down Kirkham way for tonight's encounter. Took a backroad East from Kirkham through Wharles and then up to the ground located a 100 yds off the M55.
Essentially a field with an ageing portacabin behind one of the goals for the players to change in. The pitch is undulating and the far side linesman appeared to be moving back and forth with no legs, due to the camber of the pitch.
It was good to see the Manager and his wife putting up the nets a good sign there would be a game taking place.

Both sides came out wearing Nike t shirt type training tops I wonder if the League provide these....the fact that both sides had black shorts and socks didnt bother anyone.

Catterall took the lead on 9 minutes, a simple tap in from a far side corner. The scorer didnt have a shirt number to speak of.
On 26 minutes the Catterall centre forward expressed his displeasure at being launched into a bramble bush. 'You knew those were bramble bushes' he remonstrated to the home defender.
Wharles equalised a minute later in a goalmouth melee where the ball was adjudged to have crossed the line....the Catterill player was still removing thorns from his arms.

All square at half time, a swift turn around and off they went again. Wharles started it in style with a 25 yard shot over the keeper who had strayed off his line, top stuff by Jonjo the Wharles No7. Seconds later it was 3-1 courtesy of the home No10.

The game was pretty much over as Wharles made it 4-1 on 54 mins with an angled drive into the visitors net.

With bramble thorns not removed, the Catterall centre forward pulled a goal back.....this was cancelled out when Wharles made it 5-2 in the first minute of stoppage time. The home No3 arriving late had a simple tap in.

All in all, not a bad night on a mild overcast evening. Barely a bad tackle all evening and good banter between the sides. Man of the Match was Fish the Wharles right winger, looked a half decent player. Wharles move up to second in the League as the season draws to a close.

Not a bad League for goals, twenty seven in the three Div 2 games tonight, as always I opted for the lowest scoring one!!

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 5, 2019, 1:15 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #9 of 13 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cliftonville 4 Barry Town 0
Europa League Preliminary Round 2nd Leg
Admission £12 Programme £3

Comfortable win for the Irish side, don’t think Barry had a decent shot on target all game. In an entertaining first half, played at a lively pace Cliftonville were on top from the start, and scored their first mid way through the half, adding a second jus before half time. Second half was more dour, tempo eased and very few chances from either side, until Cliftonville scored twice in two minutes with ten minutes remaining. Seated stands behind both goals looked quite modern, the larger one to the right of the main stand for home fans, the smaller one at the other end housed the away fans, and just prior to kick off was also used for home fans as the remaining areas were full. The main stand is two tiered, however the upper section is permanently closed due to safety reasons. The lower tier looks as though it was once terracing, but now has been converted to seating, although most people opted to stand. Cliftonville now face Haugesund of Norway next Thursday in Belfast.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jul 5, 2019, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #10 of 13 (882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another one at the Cardiff Met game.

Couldn't resist whilst 'in the area' making my latest visits to the lad in hospital in Leeds.
Drove from Aberdeen to basecamp Leeds after work Wed, arriving 01:30. Drove Thu Leeds to Cardiff and back again, arriving 01:30. Too far! Cream-crackered for the last few miles with just the outside lane open, providing a narrow target between cones and concrete wall, oof! But made it.

Car park at the athletics stadium out of bounds but every car only told so by the steward after already turning into it, requiring a U-turn to follow his instruction to park at the Cardiff City Stadium, where other stewards were ready to fleece you for a fiver for the privilege.
I had tried to follow the link on the Met's twitter to pre-purchase an e-ticket. It didn't work. Matchday tickets were sold from the Cardiff City Stadium ticket office. Too few windows open for the amount of folk in the queue, and more crucially - no pre-printed tickets, so each transaction took ages for the machine to spit each out. So despite arriving early, I only just made it inside in time for the opening goal. Glancing across, I saw that people were still coming in 20 minutes later.

Found myself sat next to the Mum & Dad of the Cardiff Met's captain, from the West Midlands. Dad & I spent much of the match explaining to Mum what was going on. Am still not sure she really got the Away Goals Rule.

Shame Met hadn't played throughout with the same gusto that they did in stoppage time, when they so very nearly won it.

Got down early afternoon, so went brewpub hunting. First one (Gwaelod y Garth Inn) doesn't brew any longer, having changed hands. Great valleyside setting up a narrow lane though. Second one (Mabby's, Otley Arms, Treforest) all three had sat too long in the heat, so vinegar, so I left them. Third one (Mountain Hare, Brynnau Gwynion) "he hasn't got round to brewing for ages". So it took until the fourth one to yield me a half - the only one of their own on at Coach, Bridgend. In previous visits to Cardiff, the Mochyn Du (Black Pig) outside the cricket ground was always a favourite haunt, but that's now been transformed into another in the Brewhouse & Kitchen chain, sigh. People told me I should have gone further across to the Cross Inn at Cwmfelin (Cerddin brewpub). But "where there are four or five of theirs on" means I left that one until ever back here on the train.

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 PM)

glossop terrace
Junior Team Star

Jul 6, 2019, 8:15 AM

Team(s): none

Post #11 of 13 (741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

draw for the shield shows on the website

Callum
Youth Team Sub

Jul 6, 2019, 8:40 PM

Post #12 of 13 (519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [glossop terrace] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bedfont Sports 0 Brentford B 5
Adm 5
Crowd a ground record of 430

Revisit for this entertaining game l, hosted by a jovial tannoy person sitting in his nice perch balcony of the clubhouse. 17 year old Carre(?) has an exceptional 2nd half. Ground has made vast improvements since previous visit a fair few years back, most of the ground is covered in some form and pitch is now 3G and with it only being a 10 min walk from Hatton Cross Tube I really should get down here more often.

bagman
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 7, 2019, 10:42 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #13 of 13 (412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Callum] Thursday 4th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Bedfont Sports (0) 0 v 5 (2) Brentford B

Admission £5 Programme £1 Attendance 430

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last New Ground : Kintbury Rangers 7th May 2019