Women's World Cup 2019 Topic

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2019, 10:01 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #26 of 43 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great game Cool

Now if we can persuade Millie Bright not to give me any more cardiac arrests I'll be happy we can take on anybody Smile

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 27, 2019, 10:25 PM

Post #27 of 43 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was good to win but that performance gave me no great confidence that they'll win the next game, especially if it is against the USA

On a 'bigger picture' level I sat there this evening watching the World Cup, and for all the World I wouldn't have noticed the gender except for the close ups. Big crowds, serious punditry (as opposed to patronising aversion of any mistakes and poor play) and no comment about the fact that the tournament is the top bill. The latter is evidence of the progress the women's game had made. When I was a kid I thought it would be great to have parallel competitions for women, but I gradually learned to see that that would never happen. And now it is happening.

Rog Dodge
Youth Team Regular

Jun 28, 2019, 7:08 PM

Team(s): England--Grantham Town-Melton Town -NKF Burbage - Leics City Women

Post #28 of 43 (1377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see David Cookham & Ian Tripe have joined the'bandwagon', Urrrgh !!!!

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 28, 2019, 10:06 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #29 of 43 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So it's looking likely that England are going to win their Quarter Final against Norway to progress to the Semi-Finals.

This still leaves them three routes to Olympic qualification

a) The USA beat France in their Quarter Final

b) England beat France in the Semi-Final

c) England lose to France in the Semi, but then win the third place play-off against either Italy, Netherlands, Germany or Sweden.

Option A) selected and locked in.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 29, 2019, 2:50 AM

Post #30 of 43 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rog Dodge] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I see David Cookham & Ian Tripe have joined the'bandwagon', Urrrgh !!!!

For once I'm inclined to take their interest and support at face value.

In Beckham's case I'd have thought one factor is the evident enthusiasm for the game of seven year old Harper. Whatever his other failings he appears to take his parenting role seriously.

And of course, Beckham's links with the Nevilles go back many years, indeed the elder brother was his best man.

Until recently I'd have said the attitude to the women's game from those involved in the men's game was generally pretty dismissive and, at best, condescending. And I certainly knew cases where it was much, much worse than that.

cope1

Jun 29, 2019, 2:25 PM

Post #31 of 43 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's certainly.more accepted than it was four years ago. I've invited friends to watch Arsenal Women with me for years and for the most part they've looked at me like I'm nuts. Now they just look at me like I'm a groundhopper and I'm used to that :)

It'll be interesting to see how the game and the money around it develop. It was noted drying the USA-France game that the dives in that match were the first of the tournament. Whether the innocence remains as the money increases remains to be seen but for now it is a huge plus for potential sponsors. It's also clear that regardless of stadium attendances there is a huge audience out there just waiting to be advertised to so women's footie is likely to start getting bigger offers.

One thing that was a big improvement on precious matches last night was the lack of VAR. was it broken? I don't recall it being used at all. Perhaps FIFA have taken the negative feedback on board and decided to tone it down. For the best in my view. I don't think catching a player offside by 2 inches is worth the disruption caused, especially when it didn't give them any advantage.

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Jul 3, 2019, 12:28 PM

Post #32 of 43 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Watching last nights England v America match I spotted the main difference between mens and womens football. Feigning injury as a time wasting tactic in mens football is called cheating whereas in womens football it's called 'good game management'

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2019, 11:24 AM

Post #33 of 43 (861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well in the end it turns out Stevenage's new first team coach (https://www.bbc.co.uk/...ball/teams/stevenage) has had somewhat of the last laugh having seen his England side achieve 3rd place in the 2015 competition as opposed to Neville's 4th in 2019.

I think the jury's still out on Neville as a Manager. In the early games despite England's winning run they looked defensively suspect and in the last two games the opposition game plan seemed to catch them out in the first half of the games. His writing off of the 3rd/4th place play off match as "nonsense" is a mistake. A Bronze Medal in a World tournament is a big deal.

Admittedly his team had bad luck with White's disallowed goals but it feels like an opportunity missed.

cope1

Jul 8, 2019, 10:57 PM

Post #34 of 43 (739 views)
Shortcut

From what I saw he wanted them to win the 3rd place play-off to go out on a win. When did he write it off?

cope1

Jul 8, 2019, 11:02 PM

Post #35 of 43 (738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I didn't notice any 'game management' (or whatever else it may be called). I'm sure it was there, but compared with men's football it was non-existent.

My observation is that women's football is a lot more "pure", for want of a better word, with far less gamesmanship. That's a result of being at a much different stage of professionalisation, as with rugby, but it might still prove to be a seller. Men's football has grown into what it is over so many decades that it's very difficult to roll unfavourable developments back but women's football may have found a niche in the 'good behaviour' element. That, in turn, might put pressure on the men's game, which can only be a good thing.

All in all I thought it was a good world cup but I'm always interested in domestic football as that's where the real 'bread and butter' takes place. If the big crowds can be brought home so that we have bigger gates in the WSL that would be good. I reckon with the right marketing a few of the bigger names could draw tens of thousands to a high profile game like the much touted one between Atlético and Barcelona last season. That was a one off, but was a big boost. There is no reason the same can't happen over here.

derekn
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2019, 9:22 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #36 of 43 (693 views)
Shortcut

Didn't you watch the England v USA game. Most of the last 10 minutes was taken up by US players throwing themselves to the ground and rolling around holding various bits of their anatomy. No different to the men's game.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2019, 10:15 PM

Post #37 of 43 (640 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
From what I saw he wanted them to win the 3rd place play-off to go out on a win. When did he write it off?

Unfortunately, I think he'd already painted himself into a corner before it turned out we'd be taking part in the 3rd/4th play off game.

I can understand that he was trying to create a mind-set for winning the trophy and that it was meant for the most positive of reasons.

But by saying:"No-one cares about silver and bronze - it's the gold medal everyone wants" he'd stated that not winning the World Cup would count as failure, and thus even being runners-up was just in effect the first of the losers. Inevitably it devalued the third place medal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48818588

I think he was trying to focus both him and his team entirely on being world cup winners. Sadly, that made it difficult for him to be convincing to anyone as to how much importance he attached to the "nonsense game" for third place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48896767

Personally, I think 3rd place in the world, whilst not as good as making the Final, is a big deal.

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Jul 9, 2019, 10:21 PM

Post #38 of 43 (636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Didn't you watch the England v USA game. Most of the last 10 minutes was taken up by US players throwing themselves to the ground and rolling around holding various bits of their anatomy. No different to the men's game.

As I said in my previous post this nonsense was continually referred to as 'Game Management' a phrase I'd never come across prior to the Women's World Cup. Sounds so much better than 'cynical time wasting' don't you think?

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 10, 2019, 7:16 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #39 of 43 (556 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

As I said in my previous post this nonsense was continually referred to as 'Game Management' a phrase I'd never come across prior to the Women's World Cup. Sounds so much better than 'cynical time wasting' don't you think?

Game Management has definitely been used in the football world for the last few seasons. It's simply being more defensive, less attacking and taking less risks when on the ball... including going to the corner flag in stoppage time.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2019, 8:04 AM

Post #40 of 43 (518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Game Management has definitely been used in the football world for the last few seasons. It's simply being more defensive, less attacking and taking less risks when on the ball... including going to the corner flag in stoppage time.

I don't remember seeing anyone taking the ball over to the corner flag when I started watching football in the 1960s.

The first instance I can recall seeing was in February 1973 when Birmingham City were struggling in 20th place in the top division and a midfielder/winger of theirs did it as they fought successfully to hang on to a 1-0 win at Bramall Lane. The crowd used plenty of descriptive adjectives at the time but they didn't include "game management".

City went on to win their relegation battle comfortably as with 8 wins in their last 10 games they finished that season in 10th spot.

The winger who took the ball over to the corner flag was a guy called Gordon Taylor who later, over several decades, earned a few pennies working for the PFA.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 12, 2019, 8:13 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #41 of 43 (447 views)
Shortcut

There are a few in the USA not entirely convinced by the Women's selection choices
https://www.washingtontimes.com/...-snub-sparks-debate/

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod

Jul 12, 2019, 8:21 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #42 of 43 (442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In a team full of lesbians (read article) she would have been a difficult choice ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2019, 2:34 PM

Post #43 of 43 (392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Women's World Cup 2019 Topic [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Interesting.

Reminds me of a dispute involving National Trust Volunteers https://www.independent.co.uk/...mpaign-a7878131.html.

And on the subject of taking a stand there was the instance of the refusal of Irishman James McClean to wear a football shirt which included a Remembrance Day Poppy.

Hinkle could, of course, have opted to take the easy way out and not made any social media comment about legalisation of gay marriage, and could have worn the rainbow-themed national jersey in 2017.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3