Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2019, 10:39 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #26 of 181 (6323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shimtoan] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'd agree with outlawing any betting at your level and the levels immediately above and below, but not a blanket ban.

That used to be the rule, along with any betting on any competition that you took part in (cup games, etc). However, as any club secretary will tell you, players generally have no idea which competitions they have played in and claimed to have inadvertently breached them. It was decided to make it a blanket ban so everyone knows where they stand. Betting on any game, anywhere, for anyone involved at step four and above is not allowed.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 27, 2019, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #27 of 181 (6322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveH] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Happy to stand corrected but I think the blanket ban was introduced because anything less than that would create loopholes that someone, somewhere would inevitably exploit for nefarious purposes. It's that balance between overkill and workability.

Mind you, if any volunteer had a flutter then the odds of being caught must be slim to none anyway...

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 27, 2019, 9:54 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #28 of 181 (5861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Are there any cases of someone involved in non league football getting done for getting on Premier or League football. I'm thinking not

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 27, 2019, 11:11 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #29 of 181 (5748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Paul Scholes.

Although presumably more high profile than you meant by that question.

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 28, 2019, 12:20 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Prescot Cables

Post #30 of 181 (5672 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Are there any cases of someone involved in non league football getting done for getting on Premier or League football. I'm thinking not

I found one: Phil Hodgkinson, who was the Chairman at Southport was fined 1,500 for having placed 99 bets on matches between 2015 and 2019.

He was also considered (at one point) to have failed the Owners & Directors Test, which would have kiboshed his takeover of Huddersfield Town. However, he won an appeal against that element, partly on the grounds that he had never been properly advised of the rules whilst a Director of Southport. Also taken into account was the average stake of 12.70, the fact that he had never bet on a competition in which Southport FC was involved and a technicality caused by the wording of the OADT rules.

The written reasons for the appeal and the initial result can be found on TheFA.com.

If it transpires that BetVictor are the new sponsor of the Step 3 & 4 Leagues, then I'll do the work required of me to ensure the sponsorship is properly recognised in print and online. I'm not a betting man and I wouldn't criticise those who do like a flutter. And any business prepared to put significant funds into non-league football can't be all bad.

However, on a personal note, I do think that football, as a whole, needs to decide how it wants to work with bookmakers.

(This post was edited by Beano on Jun 28, 2019, 12:25 AM)

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2019, 1:16 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #31 of 181 (5639 views)
Shortcut

Not Premier League I know but payers & staff have been banned from football for betting on games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25371230

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38058165

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/four-mersey-non-league-footballers-banned-3436438

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/...over-betting-breach/

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

ladderman

Jun 28, 2019, 7:56 AM

Post #32 of 181 (5506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe I should have clarified "involved in non-league football", I wasn't talking about a manager betting against his own team or players match fixing. I was talking about lunacy that, because I'm Stortford's press officer I couldn't bet on England last night.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 28, 2019, 10:09 AM

Post #33 of 181 (5326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beano] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
However, on a personal note, I do think that football, as a whole, needs to decide how it wants to work with bookmakers.

It is the same as tobacco sponsorship in the past. Eventually it will be legislated out of existence and another industry will come in and make up the shortfall. Don't expect football, or any other sport, to adopt the moral high ground before that. As long as the money is coming in they will be happy.

Beano
Reserve Team Star

Jun 28, 2019, 10:19 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Prescot Cables

Post #34 of 181 (5308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the difference from my perspective is that, in the days of tobacco sponsorship, participants in football could choose whether or not they partook of the sponsor's product.

I'm not anti-gambling and I would never expect the Leagues to turn away sponsorship. The gap between the Rules and the money coming in from the gambling industry is what irritates me.

Dazzla84
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 1, 2019, 3:54 AM

Team(s): South Shields and North East football in general

Post #35 of 181 (4719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Think the Southern League have given the game away.
Website still says Evo Stik, however the tab heading says 'Welcome to the BetVictor Southern League - Evo Stik League South'

The NPL have removed all mention of "Evo-Stik" from all of their social media platforms and Dunston FC have tweeted that a new sponsor is to be announced soon.

CLARET AND BLUE PIXELS: http://claretandbluepixels.wordpress.com

My blog for Talk on Non-League Football, South Shields FC and Video Games, yep a weird combination

HarryC
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 1, 2019, 12:17 PM

Team(s): Fleet, Aldershot, Chelsea

Post #36 of 181 (4390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dazzla84] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Isthmian League have announced that the new sponsor details, due today, will not now be released until next Monday 8th July

Lionarm
Youth Team Regular

Jul 1, 2019, 3:14 PM

Post #37 of 181 (4149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HarryC] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Too bad. They were the glue that held that league together.

Mad Bill
First Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 11:20 AM

Team(s): Hyde United FC; Lancashire CCC; Buffalo Bills;

Post #38 of 181 (3300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lionarm] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BetVictor

chienmort
First Team Sub

Jul 8, 2019, 11:23 AM

Team(s): Poole Town FC, Queens Park RANGERS.

Post #39 of 181 (3293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mad Bill] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
BetVictor

Aoart the irony that a bookmaker is sponsor of a football league, they don't shoe odds for anything below Step 2.

Poole Town FC - les couilles du chien

dcuk
Junior Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 11:29 AM

Team(s): Tonbridge Angels, Norwich City

Post #40 of 181 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chienmort] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a great start - all the leagues have had their website domain names changed to include the sponsors. Only the Southern League seem to have set a redirect in place with both the Isthmian and NPL websites (as found on Google) pointing to a Not Found page.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 8, 2019, 11:33 AM

Post #41 of 181 (3266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcuk] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not a great start - all the leagues have had their website domain names changed to include the sponsors. Only the Southern League seem to have set a redirect in place with both the Isthmian and NPL websites (as found on Google) pointing to a Not Found page.

Only the Southern League website has got it correct? You would have got long odds against that.

dcuk
Junior Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 11:39 AM

Team(s): Tonbridge Angels, Norwich City

Post #42 of 181 (3245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Only the Southern League website has got it correct? You would have got long odds against that.

Perhaps, but I imagine I would have been barred from betting on it. Smile

BDA_85
First Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 11:56 AM

Post #43 of 181 (3215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dcuk] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NPL re-direct works for me. Allows me onto the pre-season fixtures page but work filter then blocks all other pages. Must be picking up on the betvictor details.

http://www.betvictornorthernpremier.co.uk/match-info/fixtures

Rootin' Tootin'
Junior Team Star

Jul 8, 2019, 1:43 PM

Post #44 of 181 (3043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian redirect working now.

Has anyone got any idea about the financials?

ladderman

Jul 8, 2019, 2:47 PM

Post #45 of 181 (2944 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
BetVictor

Aoart the irony that a bookmaker is sponsor of a football league, they don't shoe odds for anything below Step 2.

Perhaps it's more ironic that no one connected with any of the clubs or leagues involved in allowed to use the new sponsors' services.

DaveH
Youth Team Sub

Jul 8, 2019, 3:05 PM

Team(s): St Ives Town FC

Post #46 of 181 (2920 views)
Shortcut

They definitely do show odds for games below step 2.

Last season we (St Ives) were one of the clubs selected for 'trialling' their brand last year. i.e we had to advertise BetVictor on our website and put up their match odds for our games.

Richard Rundle

Jul 8, 2019, 3:21 PM

Post #47 of 181 (2898 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
BetVictor

Perhaps it's more ironic that no one connected with any of the clubs or leagues involved in allowed to use the new sponsors' services.[/reply,]

I think you can use their services (and any other horrible Internet bookmakers) for other sports and events, just not football.

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 8, 2019, 3:24 PM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #48 of 181 (2888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveH] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They definitely do show odds for games below step 2.

Last season we (St Ives) were one of the clubs selected for 'trialling' their brand last year. i.e we had to advertise BetVictor on our website and put up their match odds for our games.

We had to do the same at Supermarine. Was told about this way back in about October/November time that Evo-Stik were being canned for a betting company. their insistence on promoting them at the tail end of last season made it very easy to do the maths on all of this.

Gresleyprog
Junior Team Regular

Jul 8, 2019, 5:15 PM

Post #49 of 181 (2747 views)
Shortcut

I also find it ironic that no-one in an official position, player, Chairperson, Directors, management, website editor, PA person, committee person, kit man groundsperson etc, etc are allowed to bet on football down to step 4 (i believe) but the leagues gladly accept sponsorship from betting companies - kerching!! Double standards me thinks.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 8, 2019, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #50 of 181 (2692 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gresleyprog] Evo Stik Unstuck [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a double standard at all, though it would be if a loophole allowed betting to compromise the integrity of a match.

The real problem with all this is the increased exposure that gambling will have, which will inevitably lead to more people losing more than they can afford and/or getting sucked into a seriously harmful addiction. For this reason there is an argument that gambling sponsorship of sport should go the same way as alcohol and tobacco sponsorship, and I can't understand why that argument isn't being won.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3