Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Next Prime Minister?

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 27, 2019, 12:07 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #226 of 314 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It says a lot, that we say so much about Hunt and he still appears to be the better candidate

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Mark Hardy
First Team Sub

Jun 27, 2019, 7:17 AM

Team(s): Farnborough

Post #227 of 314 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As long as it is never Corbyn, we can all sleep easy.

Yatesman
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2019, 7:33 AM

Team(s):

Post #228 of 314 (1287 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
I listened to Jeremy Hunt on the Jeremy Vine show today and all I can say is I am thankful that smell radio hasn't yet been invented. The amount of BS Hunt came out with would clear a farm never mind a room.

Seeing as he appears to be getting a clean run compared to Bojo, here are some of Hunt's "high-lights"

2009 Hunt co-authored a book calling for the NHS to be broken up and privatised.

2009 Hunt repaid £9500 of taxpayers money after making false second home expenses claims.

2010 As sports minister he blamed "hooligans" for the Hilsborough tragedy in which 96 people died.

2010 Hunt was caught hiding behind a tree to try and avoid being seen going to a dinner with Rupert Murdoch. WHY?

2012 Hunt was caught leaking sensitive information to Rupert Murdoch when he was responsible for handling Murdochs bid to take over BSkyB

2012 Hunt was caught in a tax evasion dodge involving 100,000 in a dodgy property deal.

2012 Hunt was in charge of the Olympics security debacle in which he paid millions of pound to private company G4S. The company was so incompetent that the police and army had to be called in.

2013 The BMA said Hunt showed "complete ignorance" in stating that he thought the abortion time limit should be reduced to 12 weeks.

2013 Hunt used £4000 of tax payers money to do a Chinese language course because he wanted to learn the native language of his then fiance.

2015 Hunt was found to have breached the confidentiality of patients by tweeting a hospital picture

2016 Thousands of junior doctors planned to quit, and subsequently many did quit the NHS because Hunt imposed new unacceptable work contracts leader to longer hours and increased risks of overly tired doctors treating patients.

There really isn't much of substance in your list there.

The Hillsborough claim would be the worst.

The expenses claims can be applied to just about every MP.

The Junior Dr claim is just BMA propaganda. Hunt was right to reform doctors' contracts and the new contracts actually protected them from ridiculously excessive hours.

The hospital picture is a minor mistake anyone who is not anNHS employee could make

Hiding from press photographersis perfectly reasonable

etc etc

Really not much to get your knickers in a twist about.

Certainly not as bad as having a Marxo-Fascist PM such as Corbyn

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2019, 9:31 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #229 of 314 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Seeing as he appears to be getting a clean run compared to Bojo, here are some of Hunt's "high-lights"

2009 Hunt co-authored a book calling for the NHS to be broken up and privatised.

2016 Thousands of junior doctors planned to quit, and subsequently many did quit the NHS because Hunt imposed new unacceptable work contracts leader to longer hours and increased risks of overly tired doctors treating patients.

In Reply To

There really isn't much of substance in your list there.

The Junior Dr claim is just BMA propaganda. Hunt was right to reform doctors' contracts and the new contracts actually protected them from ridiculously excessive hours.

Really not much to get your knickers in a twist about.

Certainly not as bad as having a Marxo-Fascist PM such as Corbyn

I'd agree with you that there are arguments to defend much of what's on the list.

Sadly, however, the accusation re Junior Doctors is accurate, trying to blame the BMA just doesn't stand up. Doctors aren't people who can be herded into industrial action against their will, they are as a whole intensely supportive of the principles of the NHS and committed to providing the best possible support for their patients. Withdrawing their service is something they only do in extremis.

A Government really has to rile them to provoke them into industrial action. Hunt managed it.

The problem was that the Conservatives made an election pledge to turn the NHS into a fully 7 day service. In itself that is a great idea but only if you fund it properly, and if you fund it properly it costs an absolute fortune. Hunt tried to do it on the cheap.

There were, of course, loads of solemn promises about not exceeding safe levels in the number of hours Junior Doctors would be required to work to cover the 7 day service. But we all know about politicians' promises and what actually happens in reality…….

After negotiations stalled Hunt decided simply to impose the new contracts and, for the first time since the 1970s, Junior Doctors decided they had to take industrial action. They did so as a last resort.

Hunt wouldn't budge and they lost.

However, it is a pyrrhic victory in that the safety valve for discontented doctors is upping sticks and taking their very valued and valuable skills to USA, Australia, Canada etc The chronic shortage of Doctors in many specialities is reflected in length of waiting lists and the immense monies being paid to Agencies providing Locum Doctors to cover vacancies.

I'd agree that PM Hunt isn't as frightening a prospect as PM Corbyn, but that's a pretty low bar of acceptability.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 27, 2019, 10:49 AM

Post #230 of 314 (1227 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
I listened to Jeremy Hunt on the Jeremy Vine show today and all I can say is I am thankful that smell radio hasn't yet been invented. The amount of BS Hunt came out with would clear a farm never mind a room.

2009 Hunt repaid £9500 of taxpayers money after making false second home expenses claims.

2010 As sports minister he blamed "hooligans" for the Hilsborough tragedy in which 96 people died.

2010 Hunt was caught hiding behind a tree to try and avoid being seen going to a dinner with Rupert Murdoch. WHY?

2012 Hunt was caught leaking sensitive information to Rupert Murdoch when he was responsible for handling Murdochs bid to take over BSkyB

2012 Hunt was caught in a tax evasion dodge involving 100,000 in a dodgy property deal.

2012 Hunt was in charge of the Olympics security debacle in which he paid millions of pound to private company G4S. The company was so incompetent that the police and army had to be called in.

2013 The BMA said Hunt showed "complete ignorance" in stating that he thought the abortion time limit should be reduced to 12 weeks.

2013 Hunt used £4000 of tax payers money to do a Chinese language course because he wanted to learn the native language of his then fiance.

2015 Hunt was found to have breached the confidentiality of patients by tweeting a hospital picture

You forgot to mention about him asking female genital mutilation survivor Nimco Ali if she can still have Orgasms!
Shocked

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 27, 2019, 6:01 PM

Post #231 of 314 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It looks like a battle between possibly the worst Foreign Secretary the country has ever had and the worst Health Secretary the NHS has ever had.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 27, 2019, 6:59 PM

Post #232 of 314 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It looks like a battle between possibly the worst Foreign Secretary the country has ever had and the worst Health Secretary the NHS has ever had.

No wonder the worst Foreign Secretary is winning then, as (Conservative) voters don't mind offending foreigners as much as losing their free health care service.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 3, 2019, 6:27 PM

Post #233 of 314 (966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mr. Johnson may have to get us out of Europe quicker, so as he can scrap EU standard GDPR rules to make his campaign compliant with regulations
https://www.theguardian.com/...in-unsolicited-email

Fat AND Pompous.

PaulC

Jul 3, 2019, 6:59 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #234 of 314 (959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You forgot to mention about him asking female genital mutilation survivor Nimco Ali if she can still have Orgasms!
Shocked

Nicola Sturgeon got it right.

Choosing between Hunt and Johnson is like 'asking me if I'd prefer to be run down by a lorry or a bus'.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2019, 6:07 PM

Post #235 of 314 (876 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently both candidates have agreed to half hour interviews with Andrew Neil for a special programme to be broadcast on the BBC on 12 July. Neil is a fearsome interviewer. It can be painful watching him dissect a politician who tries to waffle their way through.

It's probably worth a look.

However, Conservative Party members are scheduled to receive their ballot papers by 8 July so many may already have voted by the time the interviews go out.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2019, 9:49 PM

Post #236 of 314 (789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ITV Debate 9 July - Boris Johnson v Jeremy Hunt

After 25 minutes of the debate I had to turn it off because of all the insults and bad language.

Mine that is.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 10, 2019, 1:30 PM

Post #237 of 314 (745 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So, the UK ambassador to USA sends confidential telegrams giving an opinion of the US President

Apparently, these do not say anything surprising, but match much of the general commentary about the man.

The reason diplomatic telegrams are confidential is so as the diplomats can use unguarded language, which the subjects of the language would not like. The politicians can then take this as they please, but they should remain confidential.

Someone, more likely in political office than the civil service leaks them. This is more likely to be a politician than a civil servant, but I won't hold my breath on finding out. Frankly, I did not care - someone important says something that agrees with my already formed opinions.

May does the reasonable thing - she backs her civil servant, but says she does not agree with the comments (so a little appeasment to the President, but not going so far as to attack a man for doing his job properly). Johnson goes on TV and panders to the US President. The ambassador is out of the door before you can open another box of Ferrero Rocher

Fat AND Pompous.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 10, 2019, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #238 of 314 (730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kim Darroch did his job properly; that he should have to resign is disgraceful. However he had to go after Donald Trump's comments. His position was simply untenable after that. The whole affair casts Trump in a very poor light, reacting to criticism like a playground bully. That Boris Johnson didn't criticise him for doing so is outrageous.

windydcfc

Jul 10, 2019, 2:58 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #239 of 314 (703 views)
Shortcut

Where’s Yatesman’s usual witty comments on this thread? Maybe he agrees with everyone on this, but can’t bring himself to say as much....

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Jul 10, 2019, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #240 of 314 (657 views)
Shortcut

Well I care. This is a breach of security. I used to be a security consultant on a lot of government projects. If we just shrug our shoulders over this sabotage to the way our government is run it will become all too commonplace.

A civil servant does his job but is forced to resign because his views are leaked to the press. Either a civil servant leaked for money or a politican for political benefit. The lack of support for Darroch from our likely next prime minister undermines the confidence of the civil service that they can be left to get on with their work quietly and objectively without interference.

Whoever leaked should be subject to the courts.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 10, 2019, 9:26 PM

Post #241 of 314 (638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It could be a civil servant being political. The public utterances of so many senior figures in recent years show how thoroughly politicised the CS has become. It could be a Leave supporter seeking to discredit May or, more likely given the support in the service for the EU, a Remain supporter attempting to poison the relationship between the UK and the USA. Or perhaps it was just a spiteful minion who had a personal grudge against Darroch. You are quite correct to say there should be an investigation. How thorough and revealing it might be is open to question.

For his part, Darroch had said nothing that would be unusual coming from any ambassador anywhere in the world, nor was he inaccurate in his assessment of the early days of the Trump administration. Trump was Trump, of course – usually, ambassadors who offend their hosts are told quietly and discreetly to clear off home.

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Jul 10, 2019, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #242 of 314 (633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're right that there are many of possible combinations of who leaked and their reasons.
I heard tonight the view that May should immediately appoint him to the Lords as a sign to the civil service that he (and they in the future) are not to be thrown to the dogs.

Richard Rundle

Jul 11, 2019, 6:27 AM

Post #243 of 314 (604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It could be a civil servant being political. The public utterances of so many senior figures in recent years show how thoroughly politicised the CS has become. It could be a Leave supporter seeking to discredit May or, more likely given the support in the service for the EU, a Remain supporter attempting to poison the relationship between the UK and the USA.

Or more likely nothing to do with leaving the EU at all.

Yatesman
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2019, 7:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #244 of 314 (589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Where’s Yatesman’s usual witty comments on this thread? Maybe he agrees with everyone on this, but can’t bring himself to say as much....

Aaah , That's nice that you value my input!!

The Ambassador had to go, End of!!

Trump was right to be angry and to not want any more to do with Darroch after learning of his opinions.

There was no point in Johnson backing Darroch as he was already toast by then.

Maybe diplomats will learn to use more diplomatic language and learn to judge people and situations professionally and pragmatically rather than emotively and personally.

Yatesman
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2019, 7:26 AM

Team(s):

Post #245 of 314 (587 views)
Shortcut

And, Yes.

The leak needs to be investigated, the perpetrator exposed and decisive action taken against him/her/them!

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2019, 8:41 AM

Post #246 of 314 (575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Or more likely nothing to do with leaving the EU at all.

I said that too.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2019, 2:03 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #247 of 314 (526 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Maybe diplomats will learn to use more diplomatic language

Diplomats should do nothing of the sort. Their communications with their own Government should be utterly unambiguous to avoid any misunderstandings. Consequently it is imperative that these communications should remain private. 'Diplomatic Language' should be reserved for public utterances.

windydcfc

Jul 11, 2019, 3:02 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #248 of 314 (517 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Trump was right to be angry and to not want any more to do with Darroch after learning of his opinions.

Maybe diplomats will learn to use more diplomatic language and learn to judge people and situations professionally and pragmatically rather than emotively and personally.

I’m sure if every single diplomat across the world, had their memos revealed. Then most countries would have problems with what they have written. The issue is that Trump is so thin skinned, that he can’t cope with criticism & responds like a school yard bully. We shouldn’t allow the Americans to push us around & this is exactly what Boris did. This’ll have grave consequences for the future!

Non League Projection - 2020/21: https://docs.google.com/...UTgVhKYTo/edit#gid=0
Step 1: https://www.google.com/....119447550000018&z=7
Step 2: https://www.google.com/...677250654298405&z=15
Step 3: https://www.google.com/...358611350589399&z=16
Step 4: https://www.google.com/...536616305542566&z=16
Step 5: https://www.google.com/...399355140531952&z=16
Step 6: https://www.google.com/...1556307438963813&z=9

jrev61

Jul 12, 2019, 8:32 PM

Team(s): None

Post #249 of 314 (415 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I’m sure if every single diplomat across the world, had their memos revealed. Then most countries would have problems with what they have written. The issue is that Trump is so thin skinned, that he can’t cope with criticism & responds like a school yard bully. We shouldn’t allow the Americans to push us around & this is exactly what Boris did. This’ll have grave consequences for the future!

Boris is of course an American. Alexander Boris De Pfeffel Johnson was born in New York and holds American and British citizenship. He will be ideal as Trump's pet poodle.

jrev61

Yatesman
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2019, 9:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #250 of 314 (389 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

This really isn't about Trump

It's about a British diplomat engaging in petty name-calling instead of being a facilitator.
As I said earlier, he should have focussed on substance , pragmatism and professionalism , instead he got embroiled in the liberal lefty fondness for condescending and patronising judgementalism.
They never learn do they?

Despite losing election after election and alienating millions of good, honest, decent people they just can't get down off their self appointed positions of moral superiority.

I think it is right he resigned. He was quite demonstrably the wrong man for the job!

f

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3