Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE

First page Previous page 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 Next page Last page  View All

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2019, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #2826 of 2853 (3115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plan A is Batley Boys v Eeastmoor Dragons @ Halifax Road, Staincliffe. Probably my last Conference RL venture this season. It will be my fifth new tick in 2019. Starting to run out soon. 11 left to do I reckon plus a revisit to Rochdale Mayfield (only seen football there)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 18, 2019, 12:51 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #2827 of 2853 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plan A for me this Saturday is Hammersmith Hill Hoists v Wests Warriors in Southern Conference East Division at Chiswick RUFC. Whoever wins will finish the first phase of the season top. I believe the top 4 play each other again after this as a plate competition has been organised for the bottom 5.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 20, 2019, 5:17 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #2828 of 2853 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 20th July 2019
Doncaster Toll Bar 50 Crofton Sports 6 (HT 22-0)
Yorkshire League, Division Four (level 12, kick-off 2pm)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 56 (h/c)
Clubhouse drinks the only refreshments available (didn't sample)

Ten tries for the leaders as they cruised to victory over third-placed visitors. Toll Bar, faster, younger, lighter and fitter, never looked back having broken the deadlock in the 22nd minute after a scrappy first quarter. Almost all their tries were scored from range, a number from inside their own half. Some splendid running and support play. I was impressed, in particular, by Toll Bar's pacy full-back and three-quarters. Crofton's consolation try, converted, came in the 50th minute, by which time the hosts led 32-0. This was too one-sided a match to engage the neutral fully but it was enjoyable enough, not least because the forecast thundery showers didn't put in an appearance. Undoubtedly, Toll Bar are too strong for the Yorkshire League's fifth tier. They were allocated to Division Four owing to submitting late their application for the 2019 season.

Toll Bar's facilities, laid out over a spacious, open site, are well above average for amateur rugby league. They have four pitches (albeit one seriously overgrown), a floodlit grass training area, a smart single storey clubhouse and a large car park. The main pitch, which slopes down from west to east (side to side), is fully railed and has permanent dug-outs. No scenery (landscaped slag heaps aside - there's one immediately to the east) in this part of Yorkshire. The ground is a mere touch-finder from the A19. The Doncaster to Selby road bisects Toll Bar, a village which hit the national headlines in June 2007 when the Don burst its banks and led to catastrophic flooding. Rugby league legend Ellery Hanley, MBE reopened the refurbished clubhouse the following year. I was told floodwater reached the clubhouse ceiling.

It would be great to see a club like Toll Bar (or, indeed, any from South Yorkshire) join the flagship National Conference League. I mentioned the possibility to one of the home officials. He said the main stumbling blocks are player commitment (given the extra travel required) and lack of junior teams (at present, Toll Bar have only four, three of which are for under-10s). Maybe one day.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 20, 2019, 7:08 PM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 20, 2019, 8:57 PM

Post #2829 of 2853 (2829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 20 July
Kirkburton Cougare 14 St Josephs 20
Yorkshire League lower division I think 4
Attendance 95
Venue Lepton Highlanders Sports Club
Superb elevated venue at just over 700 foot above sea level, comprising combined clubhouse and changing rooms with large car park. Views are varied but most directions are downhill apart from in the direction of the very close Emley Moor mast
There is a cricket pitch, railed off football pitch used also by RL with dugouts and a second soccer pitch
The sides were next to each other in the table but apart from scoring first, the home side never looked like winning
Arrived early as nothing locally drew my attention to visit, especially in drizzle at 1pm. Did look in at Kirklees Light railway but not really my interest although at three miles longer than I realised. Therefore watched cricket Lepton v Almondsbury ( attendance me at the beginning} never grew past 10. This started 15 late and reduced to 48 overs but this hardly mattered
By the time the RL started at 3pm, the visitors were 60 for 8 and finished I think on 68. The home club had knocked these off by 4.10pm

Loiner
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #2830 of 2853 (2786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 20 July

National Conference Div.1

Stanningley v Milford 44-4

Admission £2.50 / £1 including programme.

It was the Stanningley Club's 130th anniversary day, so a fun day and various stalls drew a good attendance including a lot of families.

The home side raced in to a 26 point lead after 23 minutes with some woeful defending by Milford. 32-0 at the interval and the second half was played out with a few bust ups. Stanningley's two second half tries coming when Milford were reduced to 11 players after two of there players were sin binned following a team warning.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 20, 2019, 11:55 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2831 of 2853 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National Conference League Prem Div
Underbank Rangers v West Hull 30-6 (adm & prog £3, att. 170 (est))

A revisit after eight years saw admission reduced by a pound and the pitch now chained off on three sides rather than roped off on two. There is still no cover, and it's located high in the hills above Holmfirth, although reaÁhed directly by the half hourly 310 bus from Huddersfield.
On the field of play, Underbank had a narrow 8-6 lead at half time, but powered ahead in the second half, aided by the visitors' lack of alertness at penalties, which allowed players to have virtually a free run at goal on at least one occasion. A deserved win.
There is real ale in the clubhouse in the shape of a rotating guest beer from Holt's (Ducie Ale today), and otherwise there are the delights of the Nook and other pubs in Holmfirth town centre.

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 9:55 AM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #2832 of 2853 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three
Batley Boys 32 Eastmoor Dragons 18
No admission, prog £2
No refreshments although plenty of nearby outlets there if needed
Att. 120 appx.

A real close hard fought battle for seventy minutes if a bit scrappy in the first half. Dragons never lead and after each time they levelled they conceded possession direct from the kick off so never really threatened to lead. Their scoring ended at 18 all. BB got a converted try, a penalty and another converted try. Both sides had sin binned players which was when the opposition took most advantage.

An enclosed ground, railed either side and partly at the road end. There is no other furniture. Although cricket is next door it is entirely separate with a hedge running between the two.

Pre match saw a brief call in at The GBG listed Rising Sun in Norristhorpe. Plenty of Yorkshire ales on offer although none were particularly unusual or micro brewed. The seasonal brew Twilighter by Black Sheep was very pleasant.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 11:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #2833 of 2853 (2567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wiretown.Editor] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 13th July 2019 (ko 1430)
at Twist Lane, Leigh
National Conference League Premier Division
Leigh Miners Rangers 29 Rochdale Mayfield 22 (ht 22-10)
Admission - £2.50
Programme - 36 pages, £1.00
Attendance - 250 (estimate)

A brief round up of my recent games, all of which have provided close and entertaining contests, but all have suffered from poor on field discipline, not least here, where a home player was sent off for punching and appeared to lash out at a visiting supporter on his way to the changing rooms. No major changes to the set up here since my previous visits, though entry was now only through the clubhouse and not via the side gate. The public address system, a real rarity at amateur rugby league grounds, was no longer used, but teamsheets were tweeted shortly before kick off.

Sunday 14th July 2019 (ko 1500)
at Borough Park, Workington
RFL League One
Workington Town 32 London Skolars 22 (ht 10-14)
Admission - £15.00
Programme - 20 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 810

Decided to take in what turned out to be the final game of the brief return of rugby league to Borough Park, whilst work was carried out on the pitch at Derwent Park. It remains a fine old characterful venue, and in the light of recent events, will be around for football fans for a little longer yet. Unless my memory is playing tricks, you used to access the clubhouse from outside the ground, but entry is now after passing through the turnstiles, with a catering hatch also in the same room. Travelled by bus from Penrith - a stunningly scenic journey and a reliable service too. I understand several travellers arrived by train from Carlisle for the previous game here, and only made it with literally seconds to spare after the usual Northern Rail delays and cancellations.

Saturday 20th July 2019 (ko 1430)
at Monk Sports Club, Woolston
National Conference League Division Three
Woolston Rovers 28 Hunslet Warriors 22
Admission - Donations collected
Programme - 36 pages, £1.00
Attendance - 180 (estimate)

Only my second visit here, and I did not know in advance that it would coincide with Monk hosting a family fun day. Didnít prove too intrusive, particularly if you watched the rugby from nearer the end of the pitch furthest from the clubhouse, but it made the headcount even more of an estimate than usual, and also meant Woolston couldnít charge admission in the normal sense, which I believe is usually £2.00. The outdoor catering hut was open throughout - whether that is normally the case I do not know - and there was a hand pump at the bar, though sadly not in use. A fine contest between the top two in the league, but could have been even better if they had concentrated on playing rugby instead of regularly squaring up to each other.

Seagull
First Team Star

Jul 27, 2019, 9:21 AM

Post #2834 of 2853 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Couple of changes in Cumbria I know of for Saturday 27th.

Distington v Wzth Brow A was played Thursday night , 22-20 home win
Cockermouth v Lowca is at Lowca, 2.30 p.o., confirmed via their Twitter.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 27, 2019, 6:31 PM

Post #2835 of 2853 (2315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 27th July 2019
Dodworth Miners 24 Dearne Valley Bulldogs 4 (HT 8-0)
Yorkshire League, Division Five (level 13, 2.39pm kick-off, nine minutes late)
Free admission
Programme £1 (8pp, see below)
Attendance 61 (h/c)
No refreshments available (though the miners welfare bar was open)

Ah, the wacky world of lower division amateur rugby league. Owing to what the home team admitted was a blunder on their part, a referee hadn't been allocated to this derby. For the first half, the brother of one of the Dodworth coaches took up the whistle. Kick-off was delayed nine minutes while he was found some kit and got changed into it. Unfortunately, the stand-in had to leave at half-time to start, at four o'clock, a shift as a police sergeant. The Dearne Valley coach replaced him for the second half. Six minutes in, as he supervised a scrum, he turned to the Dodworth bench, alongside which I was positioned, and asked: "Anybody know what time we started?" He didn't have a watch! "We've been going six minutes," I shouted. Back came the response: "Can you keep time, please?" Which turned out to be good fun, not least because every couple a minutes one of the players would bellow: "How long left, pal?" If I'd let them, the teams would've played all night. In the event, I satisfied myself with adding a couple of minutes for stoppages.

Amid absolutely torrential rain, I paddled down a waterlogged M1 to Dodworth Miners Welfare, a spacious site, in the heart of the village, close to the former pit (now industrial units). The welfare sustains bowling (two greens, with several shelters, all named after lost stalwarts), football (one pitch, with a sizeable stand) and rugby league (one pitch, railed at the west end and along the north side). Dodworth Miners ARLFC were re-formed for the 2019 season after a six-year hiatus. A previous incarnation of the club spent two seasons (anybody know which?) as members of the flagship National Conference League. Several old-timers present reflected with pride and fondness on this period ("it wa' just like being a professional club"), during which Dodworth employed a full-time coach, Wakefield-born former Great Britain, Bradford, Featherstone, Hull KR, Leeds, Halifax and Hunslet scrum-half Paul Harkin (who played, IIRC, with his socks rolled down and sported a dodgy 'tache).

One other surprise this afternoon was a programme being on sale. This game marked the present Dodworth club's first venture into programme production. I was told they plan to issue again for their final home fixture (against Sheffield Forgers on August 10), and are keen to continue doing so during the 2020 season.

Given the awful conditions, this afternoon's contest didn't scale any heights. Keeping hold of a slippery ball proved a real challenge. At least the heavy rain eased during the last half-hour. Dodworth, seemingly destined to finish second behind Brotherton Bulldogs in rugby league's bottom tier, were generally too good for Dearne Valley, who are based in Bolton-upon-Dearne. The hosts led 8-0 at half-time thanks to a converted third-minute try (a dazzling solo effort from halfway by their stand-off) and a 33rd-minute penalty in front of the posts. Bulldogs enjoyed more possession and better field position after the break (possibly because their coach was reffing!). Nevertheless, Dodworth added tries in the 43rd (after a sublime offload in the tackle put the right wing clear), 70th and 74th minutes. The second two tries were converted. Dearne Valley crossed, too wide to kick the extras, in the 52nd minute.

The home officials revealed there is a possibility of Dodworth playing their 2020 fixtures on the adjacent football ground, which separates the rugby league pitch, large, flat and well grassed, from the bowling greens and the clubhouse. Talks with welfare bosses are planned. Like the sound of that. A good reason for a revisit!

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 27, 2019, 6:44 PM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Jul 28, 2019, 11:14 AM

Post #2836 of 2853 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Further to yesterday's post Cockermouth are playing all remaining fixtures away as they have left the Rugby Union club due to unsustainable costs and poor condition of pitches.

They are moving to the Highfield recreation ground East of the town centre but there are currently no showers or toilets available. They have plans to convert the former Squash club into clubhouse and changing facilities and extend to a 2 story building but this will all take time and money.

The grounds are the historic home to RL in the town though, with the sport being played there since 1930 until the club's hibernation in, I think, 2007. The club now runs a full junior structure though and has the backing of over 20 local tradesmen who will give their labour free of charge to make the new facility happen.

(This post was edited by Seagull on Jul 28, 2019, 11:15 AM)

Seagull
First Team Star

Jul 29, 2019, 3:06 PM

Post #2837 of 2853 (2031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A sparse rugby union programme on the 10th November, combined with bad weather, saw me settle on a revisit to Chester. Little has changed since I was there three years ago, covered on page 43 of this thread, hence the lack of a full report. The one exception to that, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is that they have installed an artificial pitch, which has also resulted in hard standing extending all around the ground. Entertaining enough game, in which Chester defeated Tynedale 33-22, despite the visitors enjoying long spells of territorial dominance, but I was delighted to get back to visiting a new ground this week.

Saturday 17th November 2018 (ko 1415)
at West Croft Terrace, Lowca
RFU Northern Division Cumbria One (Level Seven)
St Benedicts 22 Aspatria 17 (ht 15-3)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 8 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 100 (estimate)

Whitehaven based St Benedicts usual home ground is at Newlands Avenue in Mirehouse, next door to the football pitch used by the club of that name which some of you may have visited. It has, for some time, been extremely prone to waterlogging, and is currently out of action whilst substantial drainage and levelling work is undertaken. Bennies have been playing all season at Lowca ARLFC - who themselves ply their trade in the second tier of rugby leagueís Cumberland League - and, afaik, they expect to be here for the rest of this campaign.

Strike action every Saturday on Northern Rail has meant Whitehaven has been inaccessible by train all season, and, with the last useful bus out of town at 1705, I considered that too tight to be comfortable for 3pm kick offs. The winter months bring earlier kick offs, but probably not the best weather for visiting Lowca, located high on the cliff tops, so todayís unseasonal warmth and clear blue skies was too good an opportunity to miss. Travelling by bus undoubtedly added to my journey time, but Stagecoach offer a good value Cumbria wide day ticket for £11.30, and I had the bonus of a morning ride from Penrith to Cockermouth through some of the finest scenery England has to offer, whilst changing at Workington on my return gave just enough time for a call at one of my favourite chippies. Lowca itself has a half hourly service from Whitehaven, terminating right opposite the ground, or you could walk down to the A595 to meet northbound services, no more than a mile away and from which the clubhouse is clearly visible.

Facilities are located at the northern end of the ground in a two tier building that has changing rooms downstairs and clubhouse upstairs. A sizeable lounge was utilised today and there is also a function room, whilst a balcony overlooks the pitch from behind the posts, though today that involves staring into a very low sun. No real ale, and I saw no signs of hot drinks being available, but pies could be had from the bar. Post match rugby hospitality was apparently done back at the home teamís base in Mirehouse. Despite there only being one obvious entrance, no attempt was made to charge admission, and I saw no sign of programmes until a gentleman came round selling them at pitch side around ten minutes into the game. A match specific but fairly basic issue, its price obviously reflects a donation in lieu of admission.

Two pitches stand side by side, both sloping end to end, with the main pitch fully railed with modern plastic barriers. Markings on the second pitch are not clear enough to be made out from a distance, and there are no posts in place, but football posts are propped up at either end of the main pitch barrier, so presumably the round ball game is played here. It is grass standing, rather wet underfoot in places, and there is a small area covered by a section of training lights. You are as close to the cliff tops here as at Kells, but, because the land continues to rise slightly beyond the pitches, the sea is not visible. In any case, facing that way would be plagued by the sun, but the backdrop looking east over rolling countryside from such an elevated viewpoint was glorious.

Cumbrian clubs are in a stand alone league at step seven this season, supposedly for one year only whilst the RFU tries to find a solution to clubs from neighbouring counties objecting to the travelling costs of having to come up here. Cumbria One has just eight clubs, and after a round of home and away fixtures will split into two tiers of four. Bennies have been a force at this level recently, but are having to regroup after finding the step up to level six a challenge too far, but the second of their two victories to date this season was in their last home game against league leaders Keswick. Aspatria are in their perennial position amongst the front runners, unbeaten since a surprise opening day setback with five wins and one draw.

A fiercely competitive and entertaining game sees Bennies make a flying start playing downhill, two tries amongst the first half points that all come in the opening quarter. After that the hosts suffer back to back sin binnings, yet reach the interval without seeing their lead diminished, but Aspatria start the second period with two quick scores to lead 17-15. However, the home pack starts to really dominate at the scrum, and the visitors concede first a sin binning and then a penalty try. A red card for a home player is soon followed by a second sin binning for Aspatria, so most of the closing stages are played out at fourteen a side, but by now Bennies look the most likely to add to the score, so the visitors are probably relieved to hang on to their losing bonus point.

This was the fifth time I have seen Aspatria play in 2018, and, whilst I saw them win a home game, they have been beaten in all four away games I have witnessed. At a guess I suspect that will amount to more than half of their total defeats over the calendar year. Perhaps it will be worth contacting them the next time one of their games features on my radar, to see it they want to make it worth my while to go elsewhere!

Quoting Andrew G's report as the ground hasn't changed at all.

Saturday July 27th 2019
Cumberland League (Division One)
Cockermouth Titans 22 Lowca 14 played at Lowca
Att: 60 (h/c)
Adm: Collection taken by Cockermouth at half time, no prog.

As per my earlier post Cockermouth can't play at their "new" home currently due to a lack of changing facilities, so all games being played away.

This game gave me the chance to tick off one of now only 3 remaining senior RL venues in Cumbria (the others being Cockermouth themselves and Dalton) as the number of clubs continues to decline. I've missed out on such as Westfield, Salterbeck & Frizington, whilst others like Great Clifton, Flimby and Broughton Red Rose have all gone in the last three years since I started ticking them off, having moved within easy hopping distance).

The ground is as described above by Andrew G and the facilities in terms of beer and food unchanged also. I really liked to set up here which is way better than you'd expect at this level, the upstairs bar and balcony providing an excellent view.

The game was an easy one to pick as I prefer to watch games not involving A teams, so with only these two plus Maryport and Aspatria Hornets in this division it was an easy decision.

And for the level it provided a very watchable contest in tricky conditions, the pitch being firm but very wet and the rain coming down steadily throughout. Plenty of big hits and no little skill, but both coaches will no doubt be preaching "ball security" at training this week! Cockermouth's bigger and slightly more mobile forwards were the difference although Lowca's full back and scrum half looked very good prospects. I'd guess a good quarter of the players on show were 18 or under. Final try count of 4-3 to Cockermouth was a fair reflection on the game.

Lengthyish trip in less than perfect conditions but very glad I did it.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 31, 2019, 1:52 PM

Post #2838 of 2853 (1865 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Saturday 27th July 2019
Dodworth Miners 24 Dearne Valley Bulldogs 4 (HT 8-0)
Yorkshire League, Division Five (level 13, 2.39pm kick-off, nine minutes late)

Ah, the wacky world of lower division amateur rugby league.

Brings to mind a Waterhead-Fev Lions NCL Div One game in November 2001. It was played on a school pitch, off Cathedral Road, because of problems with Waterhead's relaid pitch at Peach Park. For reasons that now escape me, neither touch judge had a flag. One ran the line signalling with a sponge bag, the other with a Workington Town scarf. Waterhead won 28-14.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 3, 2019, 6:41 PM

Post #2839 of 2853 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Cheltenham Phoenix 32 Oxford Cavaliers 26
Western Rugby League Plate ie third and fourth plate final
Venue Trowbridge RL
Week ended with doctor advising blood pressure was low but he thought lifestyle was very high stress and I should try and ease up slightly
Work then rang and advised they needed someone to make a visit in Cheltenham before 8.30am, so up at 6am and out by 6.30am. Visit done then straight to Trowbridge for this at 1pm. Plan was for two games then 120 miles home to try and do paperwork from claim whilst baby sitting. Tomorrow is church at 9am, meal with wife at midday an then Coventry RL at Rugby at 3pm then prepare Monday's work and wait phone call as could be working extended hours with Cheshire floods next week, although at last Whaley Bridge may not be the destination. Not much chance to follow doctor's advice then
Trowbridge RL's ground is only about three years old and typical modern RU. it is so far out of Trowbridge it is not only in the next village but actually even beyond it and cannot be much further from Melksham station than Trowbridge near the village of Hilperton. Double deck buses seemed to pass frequently
The clubhouse is excellent but apart from that, there is just a railed off pitch and two maybe three others
West rugby league comprised six teams so third v fourth is barely a final. Oxford were short of numbers and injuries early affected them. They did however they go ahead a couple of times helped by an eight point penalty try, the first I has seen in amateur RL. some may suggest it would not have had happened, had there not been one on TV the night before
Made a bit of a mess of things afterwards, initially I intended to do both games, the second being first v second but fancied a revisit to Bradford Town which I can barely remember. 5 miles in 20 mins seemed ok but the reality was a slow journey and was not interested in going in 5 mins late so straight back home for that rest ordered. However noone has told the one year old
Maybe the eleven hour days next week will be less stressful but does seem unlikely

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Aug 4, 2019, 10:42 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #2840 of 2853 (1613 views)
Shortcut

Kingstone Press Championship
Bradford Bulls v Toronto Wolfpack 20-25 (adm £25, no prog, att 3121)

My first post disappeared, but, in short, this was an entertaining game which saw Toronto pull back from an 18-4 deficit. The try which put them ahead seemed to involve a forward pass, although the biased home fans were claiming this happened in every move.

My first ever visit to Odsal : quite spectacular with a large open terrace cut out of even huger grass bank. Quite unsuitable and far too large in the modern era, though, and I can see why they are thinking about moving.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Aug 4, 2019, 10:44 PM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2019, 10:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #2841 of 2853 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 27th July 2019 (ko 1430)
at Bankes Avenue Playing Fields, Orrell
North West Rugby League Premier Division
Orrell St. James 24 Haydock 6 (ht 14-6)
No admission charge or programme issued
Attendance - 60 (estimate)

When I previously visited this former school playing field site back in 2015, a roped off pitch away to the east of the clubhouse was used to host first team games. I was aware further developments had since taken place, with two enclosed pitches now immediately to the west of the clubhouse, and with the layout soon to change again I thought a visit this season would be timely. Part of the site has been subject of a compulsory purchase order to facilitate the building of a new motorway link road, though the club have been promised they will end up with three pitches rather than their current two. If I have interpreted the plans on Wigan Councilís website correctly, they will lose the furthest west of the new pitches, keep the current first team pitch, and presumably get two replacement pitches on land south east of the clubhouse that is already undergoing preparatory work.

The clubhouse and changing room building is unchanged from my previous visit, with the bar area quite small, though there is also a covered outdoor patio area. Unfortunately, it doesnít overlook the pitches, on an afternoon when it rained throughout. No real ale available, but both bar and kitchen were open from well before kick off, with hot food and drinks on sale. Pitch side facilities are tidy but basic, with the main pitch immediately next to the clubhouse fully railed with white plastic fencing. The pitch beyond that is railed along one side, and is floodlit, so I assume provision will be made to transfer the lights to one of the new pitches. On the field, it was 6-6 fifteen minutes in, and there wasnít that much in it terms of possession after that, but only the hosts could add a cutting edge to run out winners by five tries to one.

Saturday 3rd August 2019 (ko 1430)
at Clock Face Miners Recreation Club, St. Helens
National Conference League Division Two
Clock Face Miners 20 West Bowling 36 (ht 4-18)
Admission - £2.00 inc 24 page programme
Attendance - 150 (estimate)

My initial plan today had been to visit Nottingham Outlaws, on what would have been the third home ground I had seen them play at. It would have been a genuine new ground for me rather than a tidy up job, as I never saw football there when it was Greenwood Meadows home, but events at Whaley Bridge that forced the closure of the Manchester- Sheffield railway line put paid to that, with alternative routes too time consuming for a day trip. A re visit to Clock Face was just about the most appealing of the other options available, and I was pleased to see a programme available after a post on another thread indicated they had not been issuing for every game. I certainly donít regard a programme as essential to my visit, but I like to get one if one is issued, and my previous trip here had been in Clock Faceís North West League days, when they didnít issue.

No major changes to the ground - the boundary fence on the clubhouse side remains a low one which provides nothing suitable to lean against, but the emergency exit from the clubhouse leads to a landing atop three or four steps, where a safety barrier gives a comfortable spot with a slightly elevated viewpoint. The far side of the pitch is roped off, which I donít think was the case on my previous visit. No real ale at the bar, but the clubhouse was open from well before kick off, including the kitchen with both hot food and drinks on sale. Clock Face had beaten title chasing Wigan St Judes last week, but they found league leaders West Bowling a tougher proposition, with a very impressive performance seeing the Bradford based side winning by six tries to four.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 10, 2019, 5:37 PM

Post #2842 of 2853 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 10th August 2019
Odsal Sedbergh 36 Crigglestone All Blacks 0 (HT 28-0)
Yorkshire League, Division Four (level 12, kick-off 2.30pm)
Free admission, no programmes
Attendance 26 (h/c)
No refreshments available

With more extreme weather (seemingly the new normal for our dying planet) forecast, I was in 'nearest available tick' mode. I didn't expect much from this clash of third-bottom and bottom, so I cannot say I was hugely disappointed to witness a scrappy, latterly ill-tempered encounter. Thankfully, the worst of the high wind and driving rain abated shortly before kick-off. The home team, capitalising fully on having Odsal Village Green's prodigious north-south slope in their favour during the first half, led 22-0 after 29 minutes. The rain, not as heavy as the earlier stair rods, then resumed, and the quality of the rugby nosedived.

The spectacle took a turn for the worse in the 51st minute when one of Odsal's biggest forwards was sin binned for leading with an elbow while running the ball into a tackle by Crigglestone's stand-off, who was assisted, spitting blood, from the field. The smaller player's 'attacker' didn't return after his 10-minute punishment had elapsed. I suspect the referee advised him to stay on the sidelines for the rest of the match. The incident resulted in two unsightly scuffles, featuring flying fists, the second of which prompted the referee to blow for time three minutes early. Odsal's tries, several of them well worked and executed, were scored in the seventh, 11th, 17th, 29th, 37th, 65th and 69th minutes. Four conversions were added. Crigglestone, now with nine defeats to show for their season's efforts, rarely threatened the home line. Midway through the first half, All Blacks had two sets in the Odsal 25 but had neither the pace nor the inventiveness to get over.

The pitch used by Odsal Sedbergh (formed in 1980 and named after a youth club rather than the Cumbria town) occupies the westernmost extremity of Odsal Village Green, which isn't as pretty as it may sound. Lacking any sort of furniture, the bare pitch is adjacent to Cleckheaton Road, the A638. Mature trees - today, welcome wind breaks - fringe all but the east side, beyond which is the unremarkable ground of Bradford League Bankfoot Cricket Club, whose top-versus-bottom Championship One match with Scholes (lucky buggers) this afternoon was abandoned without a ball bowled. The ex-rugby league pitch alongside the cricket square, used for a spell by National Conference League West Bowling ARLFC, is now given over to omnipresent football. Odsal Stadium, cavernous home - for now, at least - of Bradford Bulls RLFC and formerly of Bradford Dukes speedway, is a hundred yards to the northeast of Odsal Sedbergh's pitch. For Odsal Sedbergh matches, players change a similar distance away, at or near the new Sedbergh Sports Facility (replacing the life-expired Richard Dunn Sports Centre), on the other side of Cleckheaton Road.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Aug 10, 2019, 10:18 PM)

AndrewG
First Team Star

Aug 12, 2019, 11:25 PM

Team(s):

Post #2843 of 2853 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 10th August 2019 (ko 1430)
at Shaw Hall Bank Road, Greenfield
National Conference League Division One
Saddleworth Rangers 22 Wigan St Patricks 24 (ht 6-6)
Admission - £3.00 inc 20 page programme
Attendance - 230 (estimate)

My plan today had been a visit to Batley Boys at their Staincliffe ground, which would have completed all four divisions of the National Conference for me. The switching of that match to Mount Pleasant as part of a gala weekend put paid to those plans, though the weather would hardly have been conducive to my original choice in any case. They are at home again next Saturday, but the long range forecast is again dismal, so I wonít make any firm plans just yet.

Saddleworth provided a welcome alternative, the excellent facilities and ease of access by public transport making it a ground I seem to revisit most seasons. The clubhouse bar had one hand pump in use, dispensing Cotton Clouds from the local Donkeystone Brewery. The same beer had been one of seven to choose from in a pre match call at the GBG listed Wellington, five minutes walk away. Post match there was just time for a quick call at the Railway, directly opposite the station. No longer GBG listed, and as usual packed with Pennine Ale Trail rail travellers, but the choice of ale seemed notably improved on the last couple of times I had called.

The large covered terrace at the ground proved most welcome, on an afternoon of frequent heavy downpours, and with a wind that, whilst not as strong as reported further south, would have been enough to make keeping control of an umbrella hard work. The traditional tea hut at one end of the terrace was still in operation, though it only opened shortly after kick off - the choice of hot food, in proper northern fashion, limited to the type of pie you had with your peas and gravy.

The game provided probably my best rugby league contest of the season, nip and tuck throughout, and, for once, no mass outbreaks of ill discipline. The visitors levelled with a late try, saw the conversion hit the post - the same fate then befell a Saddleworth attempt at a drop goal - before St Pats won the tie with a penalty that was the last kick of the game. Thoroughly entertaining afternoon that even the almost inevitable Northern Rail cancellation on the way home could not spoil, as it allowed time for a first visit for some while to the Piccadilly Tap.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 17, 2019, 9:30 PM

Post #2844 of 2853 (945 views)
Shortcut

North East RL Final

Jarrow Vikings 34 Edinburgh Eagles 38 after golden point

Venue North Shields RU attendance 150
Admission £3 with prog not produced by either club

North East RL has been one of the few success stories of amateur RL this year, a none club league and only two forfeits

Edinburgh had struggled to stay alive in 2017 and 2018 due to a lack of opposition and were invited to join the North East.

Jarrow came top of the league and both reached the final via play offs. The match was part of a festival with a girls game taking place when I arrived on one pitch and a North East select playing Bolton Mets on pitch 2

The match saw Edinburgh go 10 nil ahead but 26 10 down at half time then 34 30 ahead before scores were levelled and the kick missed.

Golden point ensued, the first time I had seen this with Edinburgh scoring within 5 mins

Venue was North Shields RU. The postcode given was wrong and took me to just around the corner from Percy Park RU traditionally, the main club in this area. North Shields RU was typical lower level RU, two pitches one failed down one side and end and a clubhouse

Normally league winners play off for the Harry Jephson trophy so more research required. The game today was not in RL express probably because no one from RL told them and there are now few journalists to enquire

Now arrived in Scotland for a weeks work so possibly Junior football on Wednesday

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 18, 2019, 9:48 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2845 of 2853 (895 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 18th August.
York City Knights v Featherstone Rovers.

kirby knitters

Aug 18, 2019, 8:34 PM

Post #2846 of 2853 (813 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

York City Knights 22 Featherstone Rovers 18.

Adm £17.
Prog £3.
Att 3,115
Fosters £4 (cans!!!!)

Knights secured a play-off spot with a hard fought but deserved victory over a Fev side who were 12 points to the good midway through the first half then went right off the boil.

Cracking atmosphere with the noisy Fev fans who turned out in large numbers (best support on the road for two years in a game at Barrow apparently)

Last time I visited Bootham Crescent was about 8 years ago for an FAT tie York City v Hinckley United and though it'll be sad to see the place demolished it really is a tip these days so you would have thought the fans would be looking forward to the new stadium but the people I spoke to are not happy at all. Time will tell but the clubs will surely only prosper in the new surroundings.

kirby knitters

Aug 19, 2019, 9:34 PM

Post #2847 of 2853 (666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday 1st September.
Wakefield Trinity v Wigan Warriors.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Aug 28, 2019, 11:07 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #2848 of 2853 (483 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 24th August 2019
Coral Challenge Cup Final
Warrington Wolves 18 St Helens 4
Wembley Stadium, London
Attendance 62,717
Admission £15 (special offer, should have been £30)

For someone who has spent 20 or more years watching RL on a regular basis, it may be somewhat surprising that this was my first ever Challenge Cup Final, but I was always determined to keep it sacred until Leigh every reached such a final. As it was, the introduction of the 1895 Cup to be played at Wembley immediately after the Challenge Cup Final meant that I pre-booked travel and hotel in the hope of Leigh reaching the final. As it was, we lost to Widnes Vikings in the semi final but, with everything else already booked, I figured I might as well attend the main event anyway.

I'd have ordinarily probably travelled down on the Friday, but a mate was getting married in Standish so instead we headed down on the 09:11 from Wigan which wasn't anywhere near as chaotic as expected considering St Helens and Warrington fans would both be expected to use the service. All worked to plan and we'd even managed to get to our hotel (Travelodge Cricklewood), get checked in and changed and still be on Wembley Way (Willesden Green to Wembley Park tube) by 1.15pm. Let the train take the strain, as they say.

Wasn't bothering fighting in to any pubs so, once our tickets were collected, we headed to a nearby shop for a couple of cans, much-needed in the heat of the afternoon.

My first visit to the new Wembley and I'm a big fan of it on the whole with easy access and a great view even from level 5, though I did feel the atmosphere during the game felt a little distant. Initially wasn't impressed with the refreshment options - £5.50 for a Budweiser and £6 for a thoroughly average burger - but between the two games we stumbled across a much better area that had a range of real ales, gin and even a pick & mix stand, all of which went down a treat!

The game was something of a surprise with Saints freezing amidst the occasion while the more Wembley-hardened Warrington made up for last year's loss to Catalans with a polished performance, despite playing with only one recognised half-back throughout the game in the absence of Blake Austin.

We moved further round towards the halfway line after the final whistle and stayed for the first half hour of the Widnes-Sheffield game - we figured we'd only be stood queuing for the Tube anyway - but by this stage we were happy enough to get back in to London given we'd been in the ground for 4 hours at this point. Simple journey to London Bridge and onward to an evening around Borough Market.

The weekend as a whole cost something not far off £400 so I can certainly understand the historical drop in Challenge Cup Final attendances - it's a lot of money to shell out as a neutral for a game that I can watch on TV between two sides that I can watch for £20 on any given week. Will wait until any 1895 Cup details are confirmed before even considering taking the same risk next season.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Aug 30, 2019, 10:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #2849 of 2853 (362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Where are you going - where did you go? RUGBY LEAGUE [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 17th August 2019 (ko 1430)
at Halifax Road, Staincliffe
National Conference League Division Three
Batley Boys 16 Oldham St. Annes 18 (ht 12-0)
Admission - No charge
Programme - 8 pages, £2.00
Attendance - 140 (estimate)

Belated posting of what will almost certainly be my final Saturday rugby league fixture for this season, and a great way to finish off, completing all the current National Conference League grounds, with a cracking contest to boot. Promotion chasing Batley enjoyed enough dominance to feel they should have wrapped up the win, but Oldham St Annes have hit a decent run of form on the back of a run of home games, and they maintained that momentum here to stay in the contest. A try in the corner from the last play of the game brought the visitors level, before a successful conversion saw them lead for the only time all afternoon.

Batley Boys clubhouse and changing rooms are next door to Batley Cricket Club, and within sight of Mount Pleasant, where they have staged a couple of home games this season. This, however, has been their more regular venue, and it is a basic set up, with the pitch railed on both sides. The backdrop, however, looking across to the tree lined setting of a local church tower, is surprisingly pleasant. Distance from changing rooms to pitch must be the best part of three quarters of a mile - just within the limit allowed under league rules apparently whatever the exact figure is - and I noticed the visitors had made their way up to the pitch on their team coach. Programmes were sold pitch side as the game was about to start - a basic issue but the price obviously reflecting a donation in lieu of admission.

The presence next door of the Staincliffe WMC makes for a better spectating experience than the above description suggests, providing pre match facilities. The club stands between the rugby pitch and a cricket pitch, and was presumably the hq for both when they were used by clubs bearing the Staincliffe name. Now the cricket ground is the home of all Asian Halifax League side Mount, who seemed to have no use for the bar facilities, whilst Batley Boys host rugby league matches from their own clubhouse. However, rugby spectators are obviously regular visitors, with the barman asking if I wanted my drink in a plastic glass to take outside. No real ale, but if you have to drink cask, Samuel Smithís is probably one of the better options. An interesting display of Staincliffe ARLFC photos still adorn the games room wall, mostly from the 80ís and 90ís.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 31, 2019, 9:08 PM

Post #2850 of 2853 (303 views)
Shortcut

Runcorn 14 Garswood 42
North west Mens
Venue Heath Lane Playing fields
I have seen numerous games in Runcorn, mostly by train and mostly involving dreary walks so a surprise today. From the station, once the temporarily closed and derelict dual carriageways are left behind, the walk is uphill through an area of terraced housing, past a large war memorial and an almost village setting then past Victorian villas and alongside a large park with bandstand and then a lake with ducks and across a large grassed area of football pitches
That was probably the best part as the match was error ridden and the weather whist not really wet was cool and windy. There was one moment during the game when there was a race for the line between possibly the two slowest players on the pitch. a little like RL's equivalent of the OJ Simpson car chase
The home team are struggling in I think division 4 but were able to put out a reserve side before the main game for the first time ever also against Garswood

First page Previous page 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3