Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You

First page Previous page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next page Last page  View All

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 3, 2017, 1:26 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #751 of 790 (3610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
People who want to argue the toss at railway station ticket offices. Many is the time when I have arrived with plenty of time and few people ahead of me in the queue, but have been held by some awkward git who just seems to be there for an argument. One African bloke actually tried to barter with the ticket office staff. He told them he had only paid 10 to get to London the previous week and would only pay that much. The normal fare is about 30 without a railcard.

On a similar note, when you buy a ticket from the ticket machines or from a member of staff with a hand held ticket machine at Northampton station, these do not usually work in the ticket barriers. Why?? They are selling you a faulty product.
Last week I brought a Travelcard but had to show it to a member of staff to get through the many barriers. At night there was no-one on the barriers at Euston Underground and I had 5 minutes to catch my train so I had to limbo under the wider barrier. Not good enough.

This thread is just like Room 101 isn't it?

I've had the same problem with tickets from the guards hand held machine not working in the barriers, apparently you are supposed to go to the ticket office when you get off (if it's open of course) and exchange it for a proper ticket. You couldn't make it up!

I would make a complaint about barriers at Euston being unstaffed, what if there had been an emergency?

(This post was edited by Isaac on Mar 3, 2017, 1:29 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2017, 1:36 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #752 of 790 (3605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

People who include the word "amazing" in telling you about everything they do or did. This is usually the case with tv chefs. This also applies to so called celebrities on the panel of reality shows when they have just watched something.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

jrev61

Mar 3, 2017, 4:31 PM

Team(s): None

Post #753 of 790 (3575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
People who want to argue the toss at railway station ticket offices. Many is the time when I have arrived with plenty of time and few people ahead of me in the queue, but have been held by some awkward git who just seems to be there for an argument. One African bloke actually tried to barter with the ticket office staff. He told them he had only paid 10 to get to London the previous week and would only pay that much. The normal fare is about 30 without a railcard.

On a similar note, when you buy a ticket from the ticket machines or from a member of staff with a hand held ticket machine at Northampton station, these do not usually work in the ticket barriers. Why?? They are selling you a faulty product.
Last week I brought a Travelcard but had to show it to a member of staff to get through the many barriers. At night there was no-one on the barriers at Euston Underground and I had 5 minutes to catch my train so I had to limbo under the wider barrier. Not good enough.

I've had the same problem with tickets from the guards hand held machine not working in the barriers, apparently you are supposed to go to the ticket office when you get off (if it's open of course) and exchange it for a proper ticket. You couldn't make it up!

I would make a complaint about barriers at Euston being unstaffed, what if there had been an emergency?

There was a member of staff there but he wandered off just as I got there and I didn't have time to wait for his return. He should have left the barriers open until he got back.

jrev61

Isaac

Mar 3, 2017, 4:52 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #754 of 790 (3566 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

There was a member of staff there but he wandered off just as I got there and I didn't have time to wait for his return. He should have left the barriers open until he got back.

I know somebody who works for Southeastern and the rule is that the barriers have to be staffed or left open and it should be the same on the tube.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 3, 2017, 11:06 PM

Post #755 of 790 (3504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Barbie] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The word 'empathetic' -it's 'EMPATHIC'!!!

In all the sources I've looked at today they have the same meaning.

In Reply To
'Could/Should of', instead of 'Could/Should have'

100 'upticks'!

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2019, 3:00 PM

Post #756 of 790 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I like the look of a day out at X, Y, or Z (on this occasion England v Ireland at Lords) but need to factor various things in as to whether I can actually afford it.

I go to their websites to see if tickets are available and if so the cost, but no, you have to register before you can see the cost of the ticket.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2019, 3:08 PM

Post #757 of 790 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I like the look of a day out at X, Y, or Z (on this occasion England v Ireland at Lords) but need to factor various things in as to whether I can actually afford it.

I go to their websites to see if tickets are available and if so the cost, but no, you have to register before you can see the cost of the ticket.

Any website that make you register before you can use it, just so they can use your email address for marketing and to sell, is very annoying. Thankfully there are free temporary email addresses for such instances.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2019, 8:13 PM

Post #758 of 790 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or

I found the World Cup final at Lords unwatchable on Sunday due to the ludicrous constant music which blared out every time there was the slightest lull in play.
As the tension grew late on it seemed to get even more intrusive to the point that occasionally the players had to wait and have their tempo and concentration ruined as it was not stopped until the bowler was about to start his run up. What a desperate shame that for some kids this was the first live cricket they will have seen on TV and will now expect that noise to happen at every game, and sadly it will all through the Ashes and beyond. Do they think attention spans of new cricket followers are in line with goldfish?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2019, 8:31 PM

Post #759 of 790 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm with you on the music. Perhaps that's why the sound effects mikes were turned down a bit the noise of the crowd was certainly a bit distant.

However, the Ashes matches won't be much better. We have the Mexican Wave and the Ceremony Of The Beer Snake to look forward to.

Karen Browne
First Team Sub

Jul 17, 2019, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #760 of 790 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm with you on the music. Perhaps that's why the sound effects mikes were turned down a bit the noise of the crowd was certainly a bit distant.

However, the Ashes matches won't be much better. We have the Mexican Wave and the Ceremony Of The Beer Snake to look forward to.

You forgot the ball tampering

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 18, 2019, 8:26 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #761 of 790 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
People who include the word "amazing" in telling you about everything they do or did. This is usually the case with tv chefs. This also applies to so called celebrities on the panel of reality shows when they have just watched something.

So true.

On a rare excursion into Channel 5 land yesterday evening, I stumbled across a two-part documentary about Isambard Kingdom Brunel. During the first part, the wide-eyed young presenter (a graduate of the Matt Baker/Blue Peter School of Presenting) described as "staggering" virtually everything Brunel designed (or bridged, or bored etc etc). Not sure I can face part two.

The sound of an angle grinder. A retired chap (always wears a blue boiler suit, a badge of office) a couple of gardens down uses his at all hours of the day.

The ill-mannered, inconsiderate offspring of ill-mannered, inconsiderate parents. They're everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 18, 2019, 8:36 AM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 18, 2019, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #762 of 790 (940 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

The sound of an angle grinder. A retired chap (always wears a blue boiler suit, a badge of office) a couple of gardens down uses his at all hours of the day.

+1. We've got one around here too, sometimes think he's building a new house the amount of times he's using it.

Surveys.

Literally everyone who keeps saying literally, especially when they mean metaphorically.

dottirofhod

Jul 18, 2019, 1:15 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #763 of 790 (937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

''The ill-mannered, inconsiderate offspring of ill-mannered, inconsiderate parents. They're everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.''

=======================

No children then Fev ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 18, 2019, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #764 of 790 (909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
''The ill-mannered, inconsiderate offspring of ill-mannered, inconsiderate parents. They're everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.''

=======================

No children then Fev ?

Goodness me, no. Child free by choice.

dottirofhod

Jul 18, 2019, 2:00 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #765 of 790 (905 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

=======================

No children then Fev ?

You don't know what you've missed. Good choice.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

buncranaboy

Jul 18, 2019, 2:23 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #766 of 790 (893 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

=======================

No children then Fev ?

So why are you so miserable and negative most of the time (on here) ?

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 11:59 AM

Post #767 of 790 (790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I live in a block of flats - my neighbour the other side of the corridor works nights for a supermarket. However, he doesn't work Wednesday and Saturday nights so all hell breaks loose then as his hobby is making furniture - power saws, drilling and other power tools in use from 10 pm to 7 am. The police are powerless [no pun intended] as are Environmental Health. When confronted he gives the answer that he is kept awake when he tries to sleep in the daytime.

My second gripe concerns the total chaos that has existed in Bristol this week as these so called environmentalists have taken over the city - blocking roads, including lying down on the motorway. Took me 110 mins to drive 6.5 miles to a game of football on Wednesday as we were playing in a cup match. Tonight will be interesting as many hundreds of local residents are going to descend on these environmentalists - expect fire works.

Richard Rundle

Jul 19, 2019, 1:08 PM

Post #768 of 790 (769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I live in a block of flats - my neighbour the other side of the corridor works nights for a supermarket. However, he doesn't work Wednesday and Saturday nights so all hell breaks loose then as his hobby is making furniture - power saws, drilling and other power tools in use from 10 pm to 7 am. The police are powerless [no pun intended] as are Environmental Health. When confronted he gives the answer that he is kept awake when he tries to sleep in the daytime.

The Council aren't powerless, they have the power to issue a Noise At Night Warning Notice, and then take it further from there if the noise persists.

paulh66

Jul 19, 2019, 1:13 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #769 of 790 (767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Being flats they'll be a leaseholder rather than a freeholder, so there may well be something enforceable within the terms of the lease about noise levels after a certain hour.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 19, 2019, 1:24 PM

Post #770 of 790 (760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We are all freeholders in the flats that are purpose built.

Environmental Health will not do anything. They have knocked on his door, as have the police, but he doesn't answer.

paulh66

Jul 19, 2019, 1:39 PM

Post #771 of 790 (748 views)
Shortcut

That's unlucky because it's rare for flat owners to also own the freehold. Typically the freeholder will own the land and the whole building while the flat owners would actually own a long lease on their particular unit together with a share in either the freehold company or residents' management company, to which they'd pay a periodic service charge plus (or including) a nominal ground rent.

Only other suggestion is ear plugs! Proper wax ones, not foam. They often do the trick for me.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jul 19, 2019, 2:16 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 19, 2019, 3:34 PM

Post #772 of 790 (694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That's unlucky because it's rare for flat owners to also own the freehold. Typically the freeholder will own the land and the whole building while the flat owners would actually own a long lease on their particular unit together with a share in either the freehold company or residents' management company, to which they'd pay a periodic service charge plus (or including) a nominal ground rent.

Only other suggestion is ear plugs! Proper wax ones, not foam. They often do the trick for me.

The freehold will be held by a management company so maybe you should speak to them.

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 10:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #773 of 790 (578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Managers, players and pundits constantly referring to "the football club". It grinds my gears every time. It comes across like a pointless attempt to add gravitas to the comment. The word 'football' in this context is redundant, unless somehow you've become unsure which sport is being discussed. It has become endemic over the last maybe two or three years, and it needs to stop!

You don't hear "the cricket club" or "the rugby club" or "the Formula One team".

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (228): King George's Field, Corinthian-Casuals (to watch Kingstonian v Bishop's Stortford)

2019-20 - 14 games, 14 new grounds

(This post was edited by intheshire on Jul 21, 2019, 10:51 PM)

Richard Rundle

Jul 22, 2019, 12:52 PM

Post #774 of 790 (513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Managers, players and pundits constantly referring to "the football club". It grinds my gears every time. It comes across like a pointless attempt to add gravitas to the comment. The word 'football' in this context is redundant, unless somehow you've become unsure which sport is being discussed. It has become endemic over the last maybe two or three years, and it needs to stop!

You don't hear "the cricket club" or "the rugby club" or "the Formula One team".

The place you dear it a lot is golf. "golf course" "golf ball" "golf swing" etc. etc. etc. all the time.

The one that's annoying me at the moment is a lot of reserve teams now being called "development teams"

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 22, 2019, 12:55 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #775 of 790 (511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Random & Pointless Things That Really Annoy You [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You do, however, hear 'golf club', 'golf course', 'golf ball', 'golf shot', etc when watching.... well I will leave that to your imagination. Utterly superfluous and drives me insane.

First page Previous page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3