Saturday 20th July 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 21, 2019, 10:20 AM

Team(s): Reading

Post #26 of 45 (3002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Alf Swain Memorial ground

Arundel 0-11 {ELEVEN} Beckenham Town
{STEP06 SCL-1} v {STEP06 SEC-P}

Adm: £4 no prog/no badges

".... we get asked that a lot"

Att: desultory h/c approx. 70+

Directions: finally unearthed the 'disappearing man' for his first game of the season. He chose this one - seems obsessed with getting to Newport Pagnell Crazy - which I've already done.
Just as well I held back and that we didn't opt for their NLM 'listed' friendly vs N'hampton Sileby .... as - as far as I can tell - it wasn't on. Hopefully would have noticed that on twitter before leaving.

Cross country out via Eversley/Minley up one M3 jn round the fringes of Aldershot A331/A31/A283 S heading through, rather than round, Godalming (SatNav befuddled here)

Entered town by filtering left off of A284 into London Rd which becomes the High St 'under' the Castle

Parked in main car park beyond Castle (£2.50 for 3 hours) - entrance to club in corner
NOTE : if using the club's given postcode - do not follow Satnav to Mill Lane, next to Norfolk Hotel, as this has been blocked off - take next left at roundabout into Mill Road

Ground sited behind bowls club and not as far along the road as Tennis.

Facilities: spacious enough clubhouse - plenty of standing and seated cover - seats fold down bulky plastic - not v.comfortable. Catering 'block' on far touchline next to seated stand - does all the usual- decent 'home made' Burgers

Match: - bit of a procession as Home side subsided completely under a blistering 2nd half onslaught and the visitors upped their game.
Beckenham too big too fast and far too clinical for a side short on confidence.
Perhaps easy to see why they were relegated last term - albeit only on GD following a disastrous final day beaten 0-6 at home - if this is their standard performance.

The 'Reds' (playing in Navy) performed considerably higher than a level above in ability and blew the tousled 'Mullets' Angelic away.

0-4 by Ht

... added another 7 without reply - was 0-9 with 20 mins to go.

Not sure what the real difference was other than Arundel were incapable of keeping the ball for more than three passes and both full-backs appeared to be performing strictly ceremonial roles. I hope for their sake they do have more squad members to call on.

Beckenham however do have something about them - Humphris notched 5 and Hall grabbed a hat-trick.
- easy to be over-positive due the level of opposition but might be worth keeping a mindful eye on. They had beaten Cray Wanderers last week - will consider their FAC opener vs RPV early August as we've not been to Eden Park.

Back home via Petworth and then on up to Farnham - pit-stop closer to home at the White Hart, Eversley. Indoors by 19:00.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2019, 11:00 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #27 of 45 (2918 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

6pm
Pre-season friendly
Lorient 1 Laval 0 (att 500 est) at Ploermel FC
7eu admission, no progs

Second and final game during our Breton holiday. Ploermel is a nice market town about an hour's drive south from our Dinan base, and a similar distance from Lorient, who were playing their final friendly before the Ligue 2 season gets underway.

They won this comfortably, the only goal coming after 12 minutes. Not many clear chances for either side after that, but despite the lack of excitement it was a decent game to watch, and the stadium and the warm weather all added to my enjoyment.

Ploermel FC play at the second level of Brittany League foootball. Their Stade Municipal Patrick Caillaud is close to the town centre and has a large seated stand. The rest of the ground is open standing, although there's some shelter from the sun thanks to an overhang in front of a lone refreshment bar.

ON my blog https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...-v-laval-at-plo.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

prorege

Jul 21, 2019, 11:43 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #28 of 45 (2820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred Scottish League Cup Group Game
Edinburgh City v Dunfermline Athletic, 1-0, H.T. 0-0, Att 1035 (official), 1700+ (Actual), Admission £12, Programme £2.50, Coffee £1.25

The Betfred Cup fixture list didn’t look very exciting and I suspected I would make a bad choice by going to this. I was proved right. Dunfermline’s young team were unable to break down a solid Edinburgh City side for whom the term attractive football is very unfamiliar.

Dunfermline dominated for most of the time without creating many good chances. It was dull and pedestrian for the most part. The Pars got what they deserved when they were caught non the break with four minutes left to play, conceding a soft goal to lose the game. Both Edinburgh City supporters appeared to be delighted.

The attendance was announced and reported as 1035. I think what happened was that City breached their safety limit which is around 1035. There were easily 1700 people there – folks who were also at the Spartans v Liverpool game on Monday (att 1950) reckoned there were almost as many as for that game. Dunfermline brought a large support and stewards had to hastily remove barriers preventing people from standing on the grass bankings otherwise there would have been a riot.

I like Ainslie Park for a Spartans game – relaxed atmosphere, access to the café / bar, friendly people etc. For a big game like this it is miserable. No access to the café / bar for one thing. Fearful it might rain I watched the first half from the stand but bailed out at half time – just too claustrophobic when packed and not designed for overweight Scots.

Rumours that the programme would sell out early proved unfounded – my mate got one when arriving two minutes before kick off without any problem. Thick and colourful (the programme not my mate) it is not a bad effort but dominated by adverts and corporate content.

This group is proving very tight. St Mirren and Dunfermline, who were clear favourites, have not had it their own way and City will now fancy their chances with two “easier” games to follow, at home to East Kilbride and away to Albion Rovers. The Pars have just got EK to play and a win in essential.

Parking is problematical at big games. Quite rightly priority is given to users of the Ainslie Park Sports Centre – the car park at the ground belongs to them, not Spartans. Add in a busy residential area and a supermarket and the whole area gets quite congested.

Walking up to the ground a Pars Supporters Bus was disgorging and one of the occupants asked me about the nearest pub. They never mentioned the words “decent”, “safe” or “friendly” so I took them literally and directed them towards the Anchor down in the depth of Pilton. Hope they got out alright.

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 2:35 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #29 of 45 (2614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Staines Town 4 AFC Wimbledon 0

Programme - yes, a slim job for 50p. Entry £10 . Attendance - h/c 150. Weather - overcast but warm.

After getting thrashed for most of last season, a decent victory for Staines made a welcome change . True, AFC sent their youth side, who had virtually nothing to offer in attack, so gave the home defence a relatively relaxed afternoon. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you.

Staines had the upper hand in the first half and went ahead on 34 through Sarney. AFC came out after the break looking a little more fired up, but when Sarney scored again on 63, they crumpled . Further goals from Bettache on 73 and Thompson on 78 gave a score which was a probably a fair reflection of things.

Staines certainly looked better than last season, but there are still many youngsters in the team and on this showing they are very dependant on Mahrez Bettache in midfiled, who followed Tony Gale from Walton Casuals. I doubt that they'll be in the promotion hunt, but they should have enough to stop the dreaded slide down the leagues which many last year were fearful of.

Staines promoted free entry for this match around most of the local schools but I certainly didn't see that many youngsters in attendance. A small indicator of the trouble Staines have getting local folk through the turnstiles.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 2:47 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #30 of 45 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly
Barton Town 2 Cleethorpes Town 2
Att: 183 (90-ish away) Admission: comp

Not going to lie - generally speaking, friendlies are not really my bag! However, it is always a pleasant experience visiting Barton-upon-Humber, a very agreeable small town.

Travelled up on the Humber Flyer bus which, after narrowly avoiding a head-on collision with a maniac overtaking on the A15, deposited me in the Market Place. Swift snifter in The George before the 10-minute stroll down to Marsh Lane.

Friendly welcome and Lincoln Gold on in the Clubhouse. Big news pre-match was the signing of ex-professional Ben Davies, who lives just down the road from me. Even though he is now 38, Ben looked super-fit and showed during his hour on the pitch that he is likely to be a step or two higher standard than NPL South-East.

As for the action, Brody Robertson and Scott Vernon fired us into the lead, before a late fightback from the Swans ensured parity. Ex-Owl Marc Cooper with the late leveller. A good work-out in the sun and with the opener at Ilkeston less than a month away, things are beginning to take shape.

Meandering journey back to the coast, via a couple of pub stops, and back indoors at half 7. All in all, a nice day out... for a friendly!!

2019/20 season: 12 competitive games
(8 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 50 (4.2 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 11)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

(This post was edited by CleethorpesOggy on Jul 21, 2019, 2:48 PM)

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 3:45 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #31 of 45 (2512 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Betfred Scottish League Cup Group Game
Edinburgh City v Dunfermline Athletic, 1-0, H.T. 0-0, Att 1035 (official), 1700+ (Actual), Admission £12, Programme £2.50, Coffee £1.25

The Betfred Cup fixture list didn’t look very exciting and I suspected I would make a bad choice by going to this. I was proved right. Dunfermline’s young team were unable to break down a solid Edinburgh City side for whom the term attractive football is very unfamiliar.

Dunfermline dominated for most of the time without creating many good chances. It was dull and pedestrian for the most part. The Pars got what they deserved when they were caught non the break with four minutes left to play, conceding a soft goal to lose the game. Both Edinburgh City supporters appeared to be delighted.

The attendance was announced and reported as 1035. I think what happened was that City breached their safety limit which is around 1035. There were easily 1700 people there – folks who were also at the Spartans v Liverpool game on Monday (att 1950) reckoned there were almost as many as for that game. Dunfermline brought a large support and stewards had to hastily remove barriers preventing people from standing on the grass bankings otherwise there would have been a riot.

I like Ainslie Park for a Spartans game – relaxed atmosphere, access to the café / bar, friendly people etc. For a big game like this it is miserable. No access to the café / bar for one thing. Fearful it might rain I watched the first half from the stand but bailed out at half time – just too claustrophobic when packed and not designed for overweight Scots.

Rumours that the programme would sell out early proved unfounded – my mate got one when arriving two minutes before kick off without any problem. Thick and colourful (the programme not my mate) it is not a bad effort but dominated by adverts and corporate content.

This group is proving very tight. St Mirren and Dunfermline, who were clear favourites, have not had it their own way and City will now fancy their chances with two “easier” games to follow, at home to East Kilbride and away to Albion Rovers. The Pars have just got EK to play and a win in essential.

Parking is problematical at big games. Quite rightly priority is given to users of the Ainslie Park Sports Centre – the car park at the ground belongs to them, not Spartans. Add in a busy residential area and a supermarket and the whole area gets quite congested.

Walking up to the ground a Pars Supporters Bus was disgorging and one of the occupants asked me about the nearest pub. They never mentioned the words “decent”, “safe” or “friendly” so I took them literally and directed them towards the Anchor down in the depth of Pilton. Hope they got out alright.

Also at this and having been at the Spartans game on Monday no way there was 900 less there yesterday.

As mentioned Ainslie Park just can't cope with a big crowd with only 1 portacablin behind the stand for toilets with a big que at half time. Spartans had portaloos in on Monday but they were long gone.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 6:39 PM

Post #32 of 45 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A 30 minute drive to Foxford brought us to another pleasant location.

Sporting trivia moment: Foxford is where the Mayo Curse was placed on the 1951 Mayo gaelic football team. 68 years and 9 All-Ireland finals later it's still going strong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._curses#Gaelic_Games

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 7:19 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #33 of 45 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Atherton Laburnum Rovers 2-2 Morecambe XI

Venue - Crilly park
Attendance - 75
Admission - £3
Programme - £1 (full pre season programme)

Atherton Laburnum Rovers play in the North West Counties Division 1 north, Morecambe are in EFL League 2.

First visit to Crilly Park. This is another Atherton team which has a steep incline! There is the main stand which is raised and has 5 rows of old wooden benches. Opposite there are 3 'pens' which are covered standing. There are another 2 pens behind one of the goals however are set back around 20 metres from the pitch. Free parking in local area.

The game was quite entertaining. The Atherton team were quite young, probably nobody passed the age of 24. The Morecambe team was the development team so mainly between the ages of 18 and 23. The first half saw Atherton shooting up hill, they played some really good stuff and Morecambes 2 centre backs lacked the pace to keep up - one went off injured after pulling a hamstring. Atherton played it on the deck but played it over the top/around the sides when one of the 3 forward players made a dash. Atherton went in at half time 2 up.

The 2nd half saw mass changes for Atherton with some more elderly players coming on. This half the lacked the pace and directness of the first half. Morecambe pulled 2 back.

royf
Youth Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 7:56 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Glentoran, Tottenham, Rangers, Santa Maria (Cape Verde)

Post #34 of 45 (2231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF Ballyclare Comrades 0 Glentoran 1 Att guessed at 400 Adm £5/£3 No programme or teamsheet.
First visit to Dixon Park which is located in the centre of town (car parking £1.20 for 3 hours). Nice modest ground with cover on 3 sides and seating on 2, although on the main side there are two stands, one slightly in front of the other which severely restricts the view from the other one. Small but well stocked club shop and splashed out £10 on BC Centenary History book, very well produced and informative, £2 centenary club badge and £1.50 pen. Game started brightly with visitors going ahead with a header on 2 mins, but the rest of the game was nondescript.

2019/20: Games 7 Goals 21 New grounds 3 New teams 4

Spennyfan_chris
First Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Spennymoor Town FC & Tokyo Verdy

Post #35 of 45 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royf] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Stocksbridge Park Steels 0-5 Spennymoor Town (HT 0-4)

It was a nice little trek down to Stocksbridge for a pre season game, probably one of my fav grounds i've been to, but to the game it was action packed at the start of the game where errors where the problem in the first 10 minutes of the game where a back pass almost cost Spennymoor a goal but at the other end, it was a OG from the Steels Trailist/GK which lead to the first Spennymoor goal (7') and then new signing James Roberts went goal crazy scoring 3 goals in the first half and 1 more into the first few minutes of the second half (14', 40', 45' and then 51'), onto Dunston on Tuesday Night now and then after that on Saturday Away to Harrogate Town and then onto the season!

Football Love - Spennymoor Town FC (National League North) & Tokyo Verdy (JLeague Division 2)

Spennymoor Volunteer & Camera-Man

(This post was edited by Spennyfan_chris on Jul 21, 2019, 8:11 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2019, 9:44 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #36 of 45 (2063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pre-Season Friendly

Moneyfields 2 Tonbridge Angels 0

You should have offered to give them a push Wink

I was lucky I wasn't stuck behind them, since it was one of those one-way streets. I'm sure there were some locals willing to help Wink

Aren't visiting coaches allowed to use the bus lane leading to and from the ground on Moneyfield Avenue?

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2019, 10:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #37 of 45 (2017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Spennyfan_chris] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season friendly played at The Garrison Ground
Winchester Castle 2-3 Downton
Headcount 16 - F + N

An unusual venue tempted me out to this one. Visitors were in complete control scoring two goals in a five minute spell either side of the half hour mark, both close range finishes from numbers 17 and 12. Game came to life again with 15 minutes remaining in a crazy five minute spell, first the visitors went 3-0 up with a free kick superbly curled around the wall but within two minutes the hosts were given a lifeline when awarded a penalty which was dispatched and within another few minutes were right back in the game with an unfortunate own goal when a header from a corner came back off the bar and ricocheted into the net off the back of a Downton defender. After this scare the visitors managed to regain control and close out the remaining 10 minutes.

Match was played not at the HCC Ground in Chilcomb, Castle's usual home, but at The Garrison Ground, where once multiple pitches were visible from the M3 but now there is just the one pitch behind the athletics track as a new sports park is being constructed on the site. The pitch is enclosed by trees on three sides with gravel a footpath providing hard standing on the athletics track side. No parking on site, you have to pay £1.50 for a three hour stay at the Barfield Park & Ride and cross Bar End Road and walk through the gap at the end of the boarded up building site and follow the aforementioned footpath all the way round until you reach the pitch.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 10:18 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #38 of 45 (2007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Pre-Season Friendly

Moneyfields 2 Tonbridge Angels 0

You should have offered to give them a push Wink

I was lucky I wasn't stuck behind them, since it was one of those one-way streets. I'm sure there were some locals willing to help Wink

Aren't visiting coaches allowed to use the bus lane leading to and from the ground on Moneyfield Avenue?

You mean towards Burrfields Lane, past the allotments? There is a road with a 'Buses Only' sign - the road doesn't seem that wide, but many other coaches have made it to the ground and out again. Maybe nobody told them - or maybe they used SatNav Wink

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

rambler77
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 8:40 AM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #39 of 45 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

HATHERN 4-0 BARROW TOWN RESERVES
(psf)

@ Pasture Lane, Hathern, Leics

Decided on a local revisit for my first game in two weeks after being injured in an RTA outside of my house.

The ground hasn't changed since my last visit over ten years ago. This took a while to get going but in the end it wasn't that bad, and a deserved win for the hosts.

I also decided to take my camera gear, but my right shoulder was not up to the task. Thankfully I have a monopod and this allowed me to get some photos of the game.

50 can be viewed online @
https://rambler77.zenfolio.com/p202732582

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

KnowYourMarket

Jul 22, 2019, 9:53 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #40 of 45 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dundee 0-0 4-2pens Peterhead

Admission £12, programme available, att: 2322

Straight forward journey up with a breakfast stop at the Stobart truck stop setting me up for the day. Plenty of street parking around the ground.

Decent old stadium where all areas were £12 and £6 for old gits. I sat in the old main stand and chose my pew to make sure I could see both goals instead of pillars. Sat by 2 friendly locals who suffer Dundee home and away!

Not a bad game for a 0-0, everything is always better in clement weather. Peterhead really should have won and spurned more chances than Dundee. I was impressed by the team in pink and they should do well in League 1. As for Dundee they must be a work in progress with 2 16yos lining up in the starting 11.

Usual chip stop in Penrith on the way home, which was busier than usual with locals in their finery. Home for 2245Crazy

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jul 22, 2019, 9:53 AM)

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 22, 2019, 11:00 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #41 of 45 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rambler77] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
Highworth Town 0-0 Supermarine
Adults £5. (SM duties)
Crowd: Unsure. 150 maybe?

Not much to write home about here. 2.2 miles between the clubs and one division. Southern Div 1 West hosts Southern Prem South

Couple of good chances for both sides but other than that, little quality on offer.

Highworth starting to get their ground up together with a new wooden turnstyle and toilet block at the top end. Down the bottom end (Golf Club car park/field entrance) they have also put in a pay gate as that's where the majority of parking is. Not much to be had at the top and it's tight. Always wary leaving my car there.

Had a few flypasts from the AirTattoo which was the highlight of the second half!

Tim

Jul 22, 2019, 12:22 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #42 of 45 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Malvern Vale 1 Charlton Rovers 2 (PSF) Att: 9 h/c

Intriguing but rarely exciting, as the higher ranked visitors came from behind to claim victory with two late goals. Not a lot to choose between them - Vale worked harder, Rovers had more skill.

Malvern Vale, in the top division of the Cheltenham League, play at the Dyson Perrins Academy, formerly home of Malvern Rangers. They use the 3G, which has a viewing area along one side. There is slight overlap with the grass pitch used in the past.

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 22, 2019, 5:24 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #43 of 45 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2.50pm ko
Newfield Park
Spittal Rovers 2-4 AFC Killingworth
PSF

6.35pm ko
The Stanks
Weekend Warriors 2-3 Free Trade Ultras
Berwick Charities Cup

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/2019/07/681-stanks.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Jul 22, 2019, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #44 of 45 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Saturday 20th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whitchurch Alport 2-2 Crewe (1-0 HT) at Yockings Park
Friendly
Admission: £3, Programme: None, Tea: £1.50
Attendance: 175

Trip down the A525 for the first time for a couple of seasons, step-dad came along too. Much changed since last visit, clubhouse has been extended and a hospitality cabin added, new kit stand at one end and a playground adjacent, new hard standing and rail too. Even match despite the two level difference between the two sides, Whitchurch were missing around 6 or 7 first teamers apparently and they did have a few young looking players. Crewe took the lead around 5 minutes before HT after a flick on to the striker which he managed to slot under the keeper. Alport equalised 5 minutes after half time, a long range shot thwacked off the bar and the rebound was put into the net. Crewe took the lead against the run of play with a few minutes remaining but the hosts equalised pretty much immediately afterwards to get a deserved draw.

Grounds visited: 297
Last new ground: Mike Riding Ground (Longridge Town)
Next planned fixture: Newcastle U23 v Norwich U23 - PL2D2 - 16/9/19

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #45 of 45 (529 views)
Shortcut

Staxigoe United 3-2 Whitedale
Highland Amateur Cup QF
at Sir George’s Park (aka “The Dammies”), Thurso
free in, raffle £1, bar operating but no pies etc, no paper
h/c 100

Another example of why this is such a great competition, providing proper competitive football in the summer. PSFs? – no thanks!

Staxigoe United and Wick Groats both play out of Bignold Park in Wick (adjacent to the Highland League ground of Wick Academy) and both got Home QF draws. There are two pitches at Bignold, so I suppose they could have played both simultaneously (I would have been up for that!), but instead Staxigoe’s got moved a few miles up the road to Thurso on Scotland’s north coast, creating a bracketed tick that immediately made it my target for today. With the opponents hailing from the Shetlands, this was handy for them too – they had taken the short taxi ride from the ferry at nearby Scrabster, which comes in from Orkney, having taken a Shetland-to-Orkney ferry first then driven across Orkney to ferry 2. Indeed Staxigoe should be glad they weren’t asked to play this at a neutral venue ‘half way’, which would have been on Orkney.

Four hours’ drive from home. The safety margin meant arriving with an hour in hand for a sniff round Thurso. That done, 55 minutes left to kill. Rolled up at the venue early to find two stalwarts already there – Tram and Steve Munday, each of whom hadn’t known that the other was coming to this one. Parking is elevated, a practice pitch away from the pitch proper. The changing rooms are up there, giving the players & officials a bit of a walk down to the pitch, properly edged with spectator rail and boards. There’s a clubhouse with bar and loos, but no pies etc, fronted by a covered veranda that could have been useful had there been rain. As it was, it was occupied by drinkers. Also on the far side, closest to the town centre, were a group of ‘enthusaistic’ well-oiled yoofs cheering on Staxigoe. Not so many supporters from the Shetlands of course, but their talisman was there – Tram had seen their wins in the two previous rounds, at neutral Tain (Steve had also been at that one) and the Shetlands derby when they’d ousted last year’s finalists Lerwick Spurs; so the Whitedale chairman was glad to see him again and was having a good chat with the three of us pre-match, at HT, and again at the end.

For a QF, this one took a while to come to life. Two Staxigoe guys had a nasty accidental clash of heads drawing blood inside the first quarter of an hour meaning they played with nine for 3 minutes and with ten for a further 3 whilst one’s forehead and the other’s back of the head were being bandaged, but Whitedale didn’t take advantage. The first goal didn’t come until the 68th minute – a pen for the visitors. 0-2 four minutes later and surely that was the Shetlanders on their way to the semi. But in-between Whitedale’s key player had had to be subbed off, his replacement carrying an injury – that’s the excuse the Whitedale chairman gave us at the end anyway, because from 0-2 with 18 to go they managed to lose 3-2. A Staxigoe sub who had come on straightaway after the 0-2 goal pulled one back on 77, his pal made it 2-2 on 82, then a silly foul gave away a pen which the same sub tucked away on 86, to have given us a thrilling last third of the match compared to the stalemate of the first two-thirds.

Tram and Steve had come up by train. The last one of the day out of Thurso goes at 16:32, which wouldn’t be possible if this 2pm KO went to ET. So they had been quite worried about that until I turned up in the car, as their insurance taxi ride to Inverness. Tram, with digs assured at his usual ladyfriend’s in Inverness did indeed get the train, but Steve had kept his options open in case ET would have meant having to overnight in Thurso; so being homeless for the night I took him in, albeit via the twisty roads of the Highlands rather than his usual smooth train journeys. Whilst that far north, I wanted to firstly go to the GBG pub at John o’ Groats, one of only two outlets for the John o’ Groats brewery’s ales. A good time for Steve to reveal that he ‘collects’ GBG pubs, so he was happy with that. And purely to help him out, a pause was also had at the Wick GBG entry (the second outlet for JoG ales), plus when a loo break was needed it might as well be at the Brodie GBG entry for him, before giving him the best of the lot – finishing the night at my favourite Aberdeenshire establishment, the Yorkshire enclave that is the New Inn at Aberchirder. Good chat in there with the usual Yorkshire clientele and landlord, some of his home-baking secured for Sunday’s tea, plus there was an ex-Brummie there for Steve as well. Great place. All of a sudden they were ringing the last orders bell on us at midnight and it was home for 1am.

Proper competitive match 2 of 3 of the weekend successfully enjoyed. 13 hours total driving so far.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3