Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 21st July 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 5:19 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 13 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 21st July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mayo League. Castle Court Hotel Premier Division. KO 11:00. (F&N). Crowd 15.

Conn Rangers 2 v 2 Glenhest Rovers

A last minute change of fixture when the proposed game came up as postponed at 09:45 this morning. The Conn Rangers setup has two pitches with a concrete wall around the perimeter but no barrier between the two pitches. Dugouts were on the main pitch only and cover was provided behind the goal as an extension to the changing rooms and was most welcome as it rained for most of the game. Very quiet out of town location at the end of a cul de sac.

Fairly uneventful first half with the 3rd place visitors scoring after 36 minutes and little else happening in the first half, quite disappointing after the two top division games yesterday.

8th place Conn Rangers started the second half strongly but conceded after 57 minutes following a defensive error. At that stage it appeared to have cost them the game. They continued to plug away and were rewarded with a goal on 85 minutes and followed up with another a minute later. Both sides had chances to clinch the game in a frantic finish but neither found the net.

With no afternoon fixtures for the second week running, that was the end of the tour. Around 1800 miles by the time I return home tomorrow night. Mixed bag of games, lovely people and cheap diesel (have just filled up at the equivalent £1.09 a gallon). Think I might do it all again in the future.

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 21, 2019, 7:19 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #2 of 13 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

JIM NEWMAN Cup Final

Radcot Road Clanfield '85 FC KO 15:00

CLANFIELD '85 1-2 HEYFORD ATHLETIC
{STEP06 HELL1W} v {STEP07 HELL2N}

Adm: £4 no prog

Att: h/c 120+ Quite big turnout and were doing BBQ

arr. just before KO just as they decided to close the car park - had to park on the road outside.
Entrance via side gate today - maybe a Sunday thing?

Direction/facilities:
Outward via M4 jn14 N A338 branching left down Letcombe Hill above Wantage (actually Court Hill Road) but then went slightly awry near the E&W Challows and had to double back slightly to find my way down to the A417.

Had draught pumps stocked for today: had two halves of Yardbird IPA (some Greene King derivative)

...and ever the awkward al' git that I am, I set a demand and supply conundrum for the BBQ staff by asking for a 'double hot-dog' e.g.two sausages in one bap
- they settled on a price eventually but wouldn't let me have it in a burger bun as they were running short of those! Tongue

Glad they did a good trade this PM and they worked hard for it.

Match:

0-1 fired in high over the keeper from outside box - bit against the run of play - but the visitors posed a greater goal threat throughout the game albeit sporadically

Ht

Home keeper continued to be kept busy but although the hosts had more of the ball they were wasteful with the half chances they got.

1-1 Eventually pressure told - good move and cross from the left - close range controlled volley over keeper.

1-2 ...just as the crowd was setting itself for pens, with almost the last kick, Heyford threw themselves forward, The Robins failed to clear properly - the ball dropped kindly for a forward, who drove the ball into the net via defender and keeper.

Took more northerly route home via Bampton, Kingson B. & Abingdon across to the A4074.

WTFCsecretary
Junior Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 7:56 PM

Team(s): Wombwell Town

Post #3 of 13 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a new ground, although it almost felt like one.

PSF - Wombwell Town 4, Wath Telstar 3.

It was our first game back at our Station Road ground since January due to pitch problems and felt great to be back.

Wombwell took an early lead with Gareth McDermott on 2 minutes before Bradley Kerr scored for the home side on 23. McDermott made it 3-0 two minutes later.

Telstar didn't give up though and pulled it back to 3-3 halfway through the second half.

Chris Byrnes scored the winner two minutes from time to give Wombwell a first win in their first PSF.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 21, 2019, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #4 of 13 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WTFCsecretary] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St. Johnstone 1 Ross County 2
Admission £12 Programme £2
Bet Fred Cup

St. Johnstone started the match on fire, scored from a penalty in the 7th minute, and should have been at least 3 up by the time Ross finally got the ball into their opponents penalty area, player dived, penalty awarded which was saved, only for the ball to go straight back to the penalty taker who fired home the equaliser. Still St. Johnstone came forward, and could feel aggrieved not to receive another penalty when their player appeared to be pulled over when in the box. Then in stoppage time in the first half, Ross cleared a home corner, worked the ball all the way up the other end and slotted home the winner. Second half I expected the home team to come out all guns blazing, but as an aggrieved fan behind me noted at the final whistle, only made the visiting keeper make one save, that from a weak shot 16 minutes into the second half. Impressive ground, one tier seating on all 4 sides, with the older style main stand with high roof and excellent sight lines all around, the only stand opened today. To add a splash of colour, all the seats are in blocks of red, blue and yellow. Programme already a contender for worst programme of the season award. Double issue 16 page glossy, covering today and Wednesdays game against Brechin, but the only reading were the two pages each giving potted histories and player profiles of each of the visitors, and forthcoming season fixtures definitely overpriced at £2. Not even a welcome page to the visitors. Several other hoppers in attendance.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

(This post was edited by nervous rec on Jul 21, 2019, 8:36 PM)

APL
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 9:34 PM

Post #5 of 13 (1858 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Mayo League. Castle Court Hotel Premier Division. KO 11:00. (F&N). Crowd 15.

Conn Rangers 2 v 2 Glenhest Rovers

Mixed bag of games, lovely people and cheap diesel (have just filled up at the equivalent £1.09 a gallon). Think I might do it all again in the future.

Are you sure it was diesel?
That is ridiculously cheap Wink

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-5-8-21-173-303-254

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 21, 2019, 9:37 PM

Post #6 of 13 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [APL] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yep, much cheaper than unleaded here. The next garage had it at 120.9, mine was 121.8 which converted to £1.09 approximately. Average euro price is 1.28 to 133.

APL
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2019, 9:40 PM

Post #7 of 13 (1842 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yep, much cheaper than unleaded here. The next garage had it at 120.9, mine was 121.8 which converted to £1.09 approximately. Average euro price is 1.28 to 133.

Yes.......it might have been diesel, but you certainly wouldn’t get a GALLON of it at that price !!

2019/20
England 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

2019/20
Belgium (Pyramid = 1,484 1st teams) 0-0-2-5-8-21-173-303-254

http://www.hoppingacrossthepond.com

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 22, 2019, 5:56 AM

Post #8 of 13 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [APL] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Realised that later, never mind, sure most will have known what I meant.

prorege

Jul 22, 2019, 9:21 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #9 of 13 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly (12.30 ko)
Crossgates Primrose v Dunfermline Athletic XI, 3-7, H.T. 0-4, Att c.200, Admission £4, No Paper, Cheeseburger and coffee £3
At Humbug Park

My second visit to the Humbug in four days and I am pleased to say I was rewarded with another fantastic game. Dunfermline sent quite a strong side including several players who had been on the bench against Edinburgh City in the Betfred Cup the previous day.

Humbug Park used to be Dunfermline’s training ground. When the Primrose went into abeyance in the early 1960s the Pars, under Jock Stein, took over the lease at Humbug Park. It was there that many of their great European exploits were planned. They re-aligned the pitch from an east-west to a north-south axis and built the current pavilion.

Crossgates returned to the Juniors after a 25 year period in abeyance and are enjoying a resurgence since joining the East of Scotland League. Their achievement in qualifying for the Premier Division next season went largely unheralded but was remarkable for the club.

For the first hour of this game Dunfermline threatened to sweep them away. The Pars were 7-0 up after an hour with Gabby McGill, a recent signing from Middlesbrough’s Youth Academy, scoring five of them. Matty Todd and Lewis McCann got the others. At that point it looked like the Pars could run up double figures but they slackened off and allowed Crossgates back into the game. Three quick goals followed – the second being the best goal of the game – a 30 yard screamer. The home side wasted a couple of chances to narrow the deficit further.

Great entertainment and thankfully the rain stayed away from the coverless ground. Kitchen in full swing with burgers, square sausage rolls etc on offer.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 22, 2019, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #10 of 13 (1395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF - Merchant 3-2 Imperial Wharf
@ Hendersons S & SC [Harold Hill FC]

F & N - Att c50 - 1pm ko.

Spotted this one late morning and managed to talk
'er indoors out of a potential drunken afternoon in Brentwood.

So with her packed off to the sister for a night I wandered up
the road for what some would think an incongruous friendly.

Merchant, now managed my the much travelled Leroy Lita,
arranged the game by chance via Twitter with Imperial Wharf,
who hail from Rayners Lane in West London, so a long trek to
make on a Sunday just for a friendly.

Lita, who was named in UEFA's 'Dream Team' for the 2007 U21
Euro Championship, was otherwise engaged but both teams
took the game quite seriously after a minute's applause for
somebody I know not, with the visitors going all #Hashtag,
full video footage, interviews, team huddle and chant before
the start.

The 'home' side have had a meteoric rise up the Brentwood
Sunday League and will be making their debut in the top-flight
this coming season, having finished third in Division Three
as recently as 2017-18.

Wasn't over keen on Merchant's new away kit - all white with
gold trim; nice enough but pity the kit washer come winter
plus the fact all the shirts appeared to be slim fit - most looked like
they were ready for a cycling time trial, apart from the obligatory
'big fat bastard' - whose apparel did his girth no favours whatsoever.

Both sides looked ring rusty from the off with Merchant struggling
to string more than half a pass together and despite Lita's charges
hitting the bar - it was a shocking miss actually - Wharf took
the lead after 35 minutes with a simple goal.

It was then Lloyd Sargeant's turn to hit the woodwork but his
well struck effort from distance also cannoned back off the bar.

And talking of bars, that's where I retired too just before half-time,
where I sat outside watching from afar as the visitors soon doubled
their lead after the break.

Charlie Sinclair, Merchant's leading scorer last term, pulled one
back before they threw on their big guns with 15 minutes left.

Scourge of many a Step 4 defence, Sam Bantick, came on
along with Matt Newman, who could and should be playing
at a similar level and it was the former who scored twice in the
final five minutes.

Don't see many lady refs at this level - she did alright despite
being behind play on the odd occasion and was given a somewhat
disturbing glare from a Wharf player having told him to go off
and put some shin pads on.

Fair play to the Wharf lads who stayed for a drink for a while after but
Merchant decamped back to Brentwood - it's a pub in the High Street.

Spent a pleasant afternoon in the company of many a player that I
used to manage back in the day and got home around 7pm - I think.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

(This post was edited by DonQuixote on Jul 22, 2019, 4:39 PM)

pokal02
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2019, 4:20 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #11 of 13 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Flora Tallinn 3-0 Maardu
Estonia Primera Liiga
Adm 5 euro Prog Free Att est 1,500

Ground's been covered very recently on here, so I'll just add that it's a 30-minute walk from town centre (a tram would involve a 10-min walk at each end, so wouldn't be much better). Crossing the railway line entails going through a subway that can't be more than 5'6'' high and 2'6'' across - taller people than me might struggle!

The game, as the league table suggested, was effectively over after 6 mins with Flora 2-0 up and taking their foot off the pedal thereafter with a Europa League tie v Eintracht Frankfurt on Thursday to think about. A sub came on at HT and created the 3rd goal with his first touch in the 46th minute. There were a fair few away fans present (Maardu isn't very far away).

Enjoyed my time here - I'd been before but not seen any football - food & drink prices perhaps 10% below UK levels.

dottirofhod

Jul 23, 2019, 4:59 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #12 of 13 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Sunday 21st July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Flora Tallinn 3-0 Maardu
Estonia Primera Liiga
Adm 5 euro Prog Free Att est 1,500

===============================

Official attendance = 446.

http://jalgpall.ee/...lused/protocol/83518

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jul 23, 2019, 5:00 PM)

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 24, 2019, 5:10 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #13 of 13 (650 views)
Shortcut

Clyde 2-3 Airdrieonians
Betfred Scottish League Cup, group F, matchday 3
at Hope CDB Stadium (New Douglas Park to you & me), 3G – Hamilton Academical
Att: 858
£12 in. Prog (single issue, up to date) £2.50, teamsheet 20p from club shop, steak pie £2.20

Clyde’s usual home Broadwood is having its plastic carpet relaid this summer and wasn’t ready in time for their two ‘Home’ fixtures in this group. Last Wednesday they had borrowed Stenhousemuir to host Hamilton Accies (see my WDYG) and today’s bracketed tick was thanks to scottsas of this forum being mine host. With Accies themselves having been Home here yesterday, this bracketed tick was therefore on the Sunday, which was a bonus, yielding me a third game of the weekend – all competitive fitba of course, no need to stoop to PSF nonsense up here. Despite Scott being a busy chap with many responsibilities on the day (he was even called upon to make the HT draw for Bully Wee Fund members) he had time for a good chat with me and Steve Munday who I had brought along having taken-in the waif and stray at yesterday’s game (see yesterday’s WDYG). I gave him the GBG tick of the Cherrybank Inn on the outskirts of Perth as the pause point of the 3-hour drive down. Other hoppers up from Englandshire were also spotted. Everybody in the main stand (3,000 capacity), Airdrie fans restricted to one end block. Steve and I went for an uncrowded block. Only when sat down did we realize that we’d gatecrashed the VIP area. The until-April manager of Plymouth Argyle (and of Ross County before that) Derek Adams was sat in front of us. As well as the proper pie hatch, there are American-style ‘diners’ at one end of the stand, in an enclosure. Despite persistent messages on the tannoy that hot dogs were available there, I didn’t see many folks using that. Punters in this part of the world are more used to macaroni pies.

This was only the second fixture of the group for both sides, so despite ‘null points’ neither were out of contention. Clyde having only just come up from the bottom tier means that this was the first competitive fixture between these North Lanarkshire rivals in a decade, although they’ll see plenty of each other this season now they’re both in League 1 (level 3).

Clyde looked quite woeful as Airdrie outclassed them to go 0-3 up inside an hour. But then they brought on ‘controversial character’ (I leave you to look him up) David Goodwillie who has retained his skill if not his youth. He immediately brought Clyde to life plus scored both their goals, one a pen, on 75 and 85 as they nearly, but not quite, got themselves back into it. An entertaining finish.

Steve got the first of his trains back towards Birmingham, a circuitous route with some tight connection times due to engineering works. Hope he made it. I broke my drive home by paying a first visit to the Green Room in Perth, current Tayside CAMRA PoTY. Steve had forewarned me of the ‘strange’ characters I should expect to find there. Indeed. The boss is a guy with dreadlocks and an aggressive couple of dogs not on leads who bound up to the door to ‘greet’ newcomers. Hmmm. Do I look like an undercover Drugs Squad officer? Or perhaps it was the steak pie and sausage roll that were still in my bag from Gary the baker landlord at the New Inn in Aberchirder (see yesterday’s WDYG) that the guard-dogs were reacting to !

Third of 3 proper competitive matches enjoyed this weekend. 19 hours total driving, 925 miles since I left the office on Friday. Then people at work on Monday morning ask me “what do you do with your weekends now there’s no football at this time of year?” SlySly

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3