Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Next Prime Minister?

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 13, 2019, 12:14 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #251 of 313 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Where’s Yatesman’s usual witty comments on this thread? Maybe he agrees with everyone on this, but can’t bring himself to say as much....

Aaah , That's nice that you value my input!!

The Ambassador had to go, End of!!

Trump was right to be angry and to not want any more to do with Darroch after learning of his opinions.

There was no point in Johnson backing Darroch as he was already toast by then.

Maybe diplomats will learn to use more diplomatic language and learn to judge people and situations professionally and pragmatically rather than emotively and personally.

I’m sure if every single diplomat across the world, had their memos revealed. Then most countries would have problems with what they have written. The issue is that Trump is so thin skinned, that he can’t cope with criticism & responds like a school yard bully. We shouldn’t allow the Americans to push us around & this is exactly what Boris did. This’ll have grave consequences for the future!

This really isn't about Trump

It's about a British diplomat engaging in petty name-calling instead of being a facilitator.
As I said earlier, he should have focussed on substance , pragmatism and professionalism , instead he got embroiled in the liberal lefty fondness for condescending and patronising judgementalism.
They never learn do they?

Despite losing election after election and alienating millions of good, honest, decent people they just can't get down off their self appointed positions of moral superiority.

I think it is right he resigned. He was quite demonstrably the wrong man for the job!

f

You clearly have no understanding of the role of an ambassador. No surprise though.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Yatesman
First Team Regular

Jul 13, 2019, 10:12 AM

Team(s):

Post #252 of 313 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Where’s Yatesman’s usual witty comments on this thread? Maybe he agrees with everyone on this, but can’t bring himself to say as much....

Aaah , That's nice that you value my input!!

The Ambassador had to go, End of!!

Trump was right to be angry and to not want any more to do with Darroch after learning of his opinions.

There was no point in Johnson backing Darroch as he was already toast by then.

Maybe diplomats will learn to use more diplomatic language and learn to judge people and situations professionally and pragmatically rather than emotively and personally.

I’m sure if every single diplomat across the world, had their memos revealed. Then most countries would have problems with what they have written. The issue is that Trump is so thin skinned, that he can’t cope with criticism & responds like a school yard bully. We shouldn’t allow the Americans to push us around & this is exactly what Boris did. This’ll have grave consequences for the future!

This really isn't about Trump

It's about a British diplomat engaging in petty name-calling instead of being a facilitator.
As I said earlier, he should have focussed on substance , pragmatism and professionalism , instead he got embroiled in the liberal lefty fondness for condescending and patronising judgementalism.
They never learn do they?

Despite losing election after election and alienating millions of good, honest, decent people they just can't get down off their self appointed positions of moral superiority.

I think it is right he resigned. He was quite demonstrably the wrong man for the job!

f

You clearly have no understanding of the role of an ambassador. No surprise though.

Clearly I do and clearly you have proven the statement in my 2nd paragraph. .

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 20, 2019, 8:26 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #253 of 313 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Nicola Sturgeon got it right.

Choosing between Hunt and Johnson is like 'asking me if I'd prefer to be run down by a lorry or a bus'.

Despite his many glaring character faults and lousy performance as Foreign Secretary, Johnson appears to be set to become PM this week.

I'd have thought it likely that he'd be a worse PM than most of his predecessors but he's going to have to work hard at being awful if he's to approach the uselessness of the present incumbent.

To agree to the seizing of an Iranian oil tanker off Gibraltar without ensuring that the Royal Navy was deployed in sufficient strength in the Gulf to prevent the Iranians reciprocating in kind, was utterly moronic.

At least she's departing No.10 this week.

Good riddance.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 11:26 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #254 of 313 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not really replying to anyone in particular : just tagging onto jon b's post as the next in line.

The 'next PM' question can surely be considered dispassionately on the grounds of the historical record. Unlike financial investments, past performance is a guide to future prospects.

So, if you employ Pep as your footy manager, you're going to get a passing and possession team. If you ask Big Sam, you'll get something more direct.

Equally with PMs.

It was clear from her impotent hectoring during tenure at the Home Office that Mrs May wasn't up to the job.

So, should Mr. Hunt get the job, he'll be someone who has alienated a workforce he controlled at Health. He'll be someone who pursues policies of transferring tax payer money to private corporations - as again he did at the NHS - and who is comfortable with wealth accruing to private individuals and companies through property holding.

If Mr. Johnson gets the job, he'll be someone who, during his time as London Mayor saw the city rise to become the world's money-laundering centre, caused a new design of bus to be made that is widely disliked - but brought in design fees from the taxpayer for his mates, a trick repeated in the Garden Bridge fiasco.

Both candidates espouse the idea that the way to prosperity is via tax cuts and that public services can run efficiently on ever-decreasing budgets.

Neither candidate therefore seems an attractive option

But before I'm tediously accused of liberal loony lefty sandal-wearing beardy lentil-munching tendencies, there is one positive about the candidatures of both Hunt and Johnson. They will prevent the scandalously incompetent incumbent leader of what is laughingly termed Her Majesty's Opposition getting anywhere near power.

Those who, in England, purport to represent us have never been more deserving of contempt.

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 22, 2019, 12:27 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #255 of 313 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whoever the next PM is, things have just got a whole lot worse. Dover MP Charlie Elphicke has just been charged with sexual assault against 2 women. With the upcoming by-Election in Brecon & Radnorshire & the Lib Dem’s are massive favourites to take this seat. The Tories could end up with a majority of one https://www.independent.co.uk/...latest-a9015386.html

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 22, 2019, 12:59 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #256 of 313 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Whoever the next PM is, things have just got a whole lot worse. Dover MP Charlie Elphicke has just been charged with sexual assault against 2 women. With the upcoming by-Election in Brecon & Radnorshire & the Lib Dem’s are massive favourites to take this seat. The Tories could end up with a majority of one https://www.independent.co.uk/...latest-a9015386.html

The Tories don't have a majority.

windydcfc

Jul 22, 2019, 1:52 PM

Post #257 of 313 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

They have a majority if you include the DUP

007Dale
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 1:53 PM

Post #258 of 313 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Boris will be itching to call a General Election, so a defeat in Brecon might speed that along.

Always assuming parliament votes for a General Election of course.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 22, 2019, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #259 of 313 (1026 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

They have a majority if you include any number of other parties, including Labour. The DUP keep voting against the Government. The Tories don't have a majority.

windydcfc

Jul 22, 2019, 7:24 PM

Post #260 of 313 (965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

They have a majority if you include any number of other parties, including Labour. The DUP keep voting against the Government. The Tories don't have a majority.

It’s being reported that 6 Tory MP’s are on the verge of defecting to the Lib Dem’s if Boris becomes PM. Expect a vote of no confidence in him if this happens. https://www.mirror.co.uk/...-government-18497112

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 7:39 PM

Post #261 of 313 (963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think Boris will be itching to call a General Election, so a defeat in Brecon might speed that along.

Yes, I suspect you're right 007.

Labour seem currently beset by problems over Brexit splits, entrenched anti-semitism and an unelectable Leader.

Trouble is, pretty much the same factors prompted May to call a General Election and it went horribly wrong for her. Johnson's a better election campaigner but GEs can throw up surprises.

However, if he can somehow achieve some sort of Brexit, whether Deal or No Deal, and then calls a General Election to validate it, I think he would have shot the Brexit Party fox and have a relatively united party behind him ready to do severe damage to a Jezza led Labour.

I don't think the Fixed Term Parliament rules would get in the way as MPs generally don't want to be seen as frightened to face the electorate. Labour, of course, have been making a big show of wanting a General Election, even though in reality they'd be terrified of one.

PaulC

Jul 22, 2019, 10:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #262 of 313 (911 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Turkeys don’t often vote for Christmas.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 22, 2019, 11:08 PM

Post #263 of 313 (909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Those who, in England, purport to represent us have never been more deserving of contempt.

In the midst of all the doom and gloom I hope everyone's suitably grateful to the Lib Dems for providing a comedy moment.

Flushed with the adrenalin of a successful leadership election campaign Jo Swinson in her acceptance speech this afternoon told the party that:

“I stand before you today, not as just as the leader of the Liberal Democrats, but as a candidate for Prime Minister. There is no limit to my ambition for our party and for our movement. I am ready to take our party into a general election and win it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/...d-new-lib-dem-leader

Shades of David Steel in 1981 telling the party activists to go back to their constituencies and prepare for government. In the subsequent 1983 General Election it turned out that you needed a few more than the 23 Liberal/SDP Alliance MPs elected to take over at No.10.

From memory the 1983 General Election also saw a more personal comedy moment, when I put up a poster in a window for one party and my wife put a poster in another window for a different party. They weren't in alliance. Hopefully, we got the odd smile from passers-by.

Oddly enough, I don't think we argued about it at all.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 23, 2019, 7:55 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #264 of 313 (865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just as a matter of historical fact, the Lib/SDP alliance got a greater share of votes, and more seats in 1983 than UKIP has ever done in any general election. (Read the caveats carefully true believers before you hit the keyboard)

Yet the performance of one party - with a defined range of policies and a series of experienced and able politicians - is seen as an almost- laughable historical quirk whilst that of the other, involving a party with just one policy and, at most, one leader of any stature, has changed the face of the nation entirely.

Funny old world.

(and no, I'm not a LibDem : my contempt for the current crop of politicians in England is comprehensive and complete)

MelChester
Junior Team Regular

Jul 23, 2019, 5:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #265 of 313 (743 views)
Shortcut

We are now the laughing stock of the World, our standing has hit rock bottom. The rich will get rich the poor will get poorer. I feel for those who voted remain and are not affluent, those who voted leave and are not affluent tough you voted for it, see what you've done. So many mislead souls will suffer for years. The right wing rich have won the day, they don't actually care about what the leave vote was, wake up they had an agenda and it will now be implemented.

Politics is a mess, Labour is not the answer. The EU is far, far from perfect and needs reform, but iit s Nirvana compared with the alternative.

007Dale
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2019, 7:12 PM

Post #266 of 313 (708 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MelChester] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We are now the laughing stock of the World, our standing has hit rock bottom. The rich will get rich the poor will get poorer. I feel for those who voted remain and are not affluent, those who voted leave and are not affluent tough you voted for it, see what you've done. So many mislead souls will suffer for years. The right wing rich have won the day, they don't actually care about what the leave vote was, wake up they had an agenda and it will now be implemented.

Politics is a mess, Labour is not the answer. The EU is far, far from perfect and needs reform, but iit s Nirvana compared with the alternative.

Calm down, calm down!

Shall we give the man a chance? He’s not actually Prime Minister yet.

I expect he’ll make a pigs ear of things, but you never know. Let’s not forget, Londoners Elected the bloke twice and that’s not come crashing down.

If he delivers Brexit on the 31st October as planned I’ll Be (pleasantly) astonished, but stranger things have happened.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 23, 2019, 10:38 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #267 of 313 (659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MelChester] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Given our new PM, I don’t think we’ve yet hit rock bottom. Give it a few weeks.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 23, 2019, 11:44 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #268 of 313 (643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looking at the front pages of tomorrow's (23 July) newspapers the one in the Daily Telegraph does remind me of Benny Hill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...-the-papers-49092664

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 12:47 AM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #269 of 313 (630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I doubt whether The Dude can be any worse then The Maybot.

However both are/were preferable to Comrade Corbyn.

God help us if he and side kick McDonnell ever get the opportunity to hold the reigns of power. And I say that as a non religious person !!

PaulC

Jul 24, 2019, 7:49 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #270 of 313 (562 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

God help us if he and side kick McDonnell ever get the opportunity to hold the reigns of power. And I say that as a non religious person !!

Why? What do you think they will do?

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 12:58 PM

Post #271 of 313 (515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Next Prime Minister? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Why? What do you think they will do?

When recently interviewed McDonnell didn't deny the Centre for Policy Studies report that it would cost £176bn to carry out his renationaisation plans. Under his plans Labour would offer £20bn to water industry shareholders, which is less than its current £44bn market value. This is no more or less than state theft.

McDonnell then went on to say that financiers at GoldmanSachs and Scroders who have been earmarked to handle the transfers of assets, were on board. Well they would be wouldnt they as they stand to make millions from such transactions. He hasn't bothered to speak with the leaders of either the water or power companies who face renationaisation.

I could cite other economic nonsense that the Chancellor in waiting
is spouting, but would only add that he wishes to see the overthrow of capitalism that would see this nation reduced to the status of a
basket case that Venenzuela currently is.

windydcfc

Jul 24, 2019, 2:38 PM

Post #272 of 313 (482 views)
Shortcut

Thatcher sold the utilities on the cheap. Thousands of people made absolute fortunes out of the state owned sell off in the 80’s. They sold almost all the council house stock & left struggling people with the expensive private sector. Would buying it back on the cheap be theft? These utilities are making millions out of all of us.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 3:44 PM

Post #273 of 313 (461 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thatcher sold the utilities on the cheap. Thousands of people made absolute fortunes out of the state owned sell off in the 80’s. They sold almost all the council house stock & left struggling people with the expensive private sector. Would buying it back on the cheap be theft? These utilities are making millions out of all of us.

They were sold off at market value at the time.

The beneficiaries were all of us in that our pensions benefitted from their rise in value as a result of the massive investment they subsequently received. Investment that the Treasury had starved them of for decades. Therein lies the problem with nationalisation.

I am not ideologically opposed to certain industries being returned to public ownership ( railways for example ) and being run as a public service.

However only at market value, otherwise it is theft and will have devastating effects throughout the whole economy as private investment will not be forthcoming.

The basic problem with Corbyns and McDonnells economic plans is that they bring short term benefits to the consumer but as has been shown where such experiments have been undertaken, long term decline of the industries in question.

Such economic thinking has never worked and McDonnells pledge to destroy capitalism will leave us all worse off.

Stronger and more efficient regulation of core utilities is the way forward IMO, not ideological fantasies.

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Jul 24, 2019, 3:48 PM)

windydcfc

Jul 24, 2019, 4:23 PM

Post #274 of 313 (448 views)
Shortcut

The collapse of the banking system showed the capitalism isn’t anywhere near perfect. A no deal Brexit could lead us into a massive recession. So Boris will have to be the best PM of this generation, to survive & lead the Tories onto victory at the next General Election. All those that know him, think he’s going to fall way short of what is required. This tiny majority(with the DUP) might fall if he tries to go for a no deal Brexit. I personally would like to see David Miliband swoop in & save the Labour Party & the country.

Richard Rundle

Jul 24, 2019, 8:25 PM

Post #275 of 313 (391 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
They were sold off at market value at the time.

All the Thatcher-era prviatisations were at WAY below market value, hence the immediate rise in share price in the 24 hours after open trading began.

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3