Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Tuesday 23rd July 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2019, 10:40 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #1 of 26 (3693 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 23rd July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-Season Friendly

AFC Portchester 0 Chichester C. 3

admission £3-00 programme none attendance est 50
last season's 13th in Wessex Premier v 1st in Southern combination Premier (now Isthmian Div 1 South) Game was played in 30 degree heat so credit to the players for producing a competitive game. The visitors were easily the better team although the homesters tried hard and had a fair amount of the ball. No lineups available and all squad players liberally used, so not many players' names will appear in this report....
Chi started really well and caused a lot of problems down the right flank. A good cross in only the third minute saw Rowlatt have a shot blocked but another cross shortly afterwards saw him head into the net to open the scoring. The home team had a couple of attacks, one ended with the attacker missing his kick in front of goal. But on 12 mins Clack ran through the middle of the home defence and finished coolly to make it two. The visitors continued to dominate and the home keeper made three good saves before 20 mins were up. After that the game was slightly more even and a Royals' free-kick even called for a save from the keeper. But Clack broke through the middle twice more and although he missed the target first time, his second was lobbed over the keeper and was cleared off the line. Clack also hit the bar before the break and there could have been more - HT 0-2
After the break we saw two pretty different teams and things were quieter. Another home free-kick was saved, and then the visiting left-winger went on a great run, beating a couple of defenders before being hauled down by the keeper - the penalty went in off the post to put Chi three up. After that the home team had a couple of efforts but towards the end the visitors forced three good saves, one a double save, as they strolled to victory.
Still more improvements at the Wicor Rec (this year the Crest Finance Stadium) - between the main stand and the standing area on the right hand side there is some building work. Also on that side is the clubhouse and at one end there is still the strange seated area. Not sure how the home team will do on the pitch (they often flatter to deceive, but not tonight) whereas Chi looked pretty sharp and I still think they will do OK at the higher level. Was good to catch up with SpitfireDave, fresh from jaunts to the Women's World Cup and Scotland.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Jul 23, 2019, 10:48 PM)

dtr1989
Youth Team Regular

Jul 23, 2019, 10:52 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #2 of 26 (3656 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre season Friendly

Prestwich Heys 1-0 Bury XI

Attendance - 168

Admission - £3 - no programme

Heys play in the North West counties division 1 north. Bury play in League 1 although this was the youth team.
Adie Moran Park has been my local ground for 23 years but I have never actually been there since it has been closed off. It was a football pitch open at all times when I grew up. There is now a small seated stand next to the social club and a covered area behind one of the goals. The pitch is in good condition.

Bury youth were pretty poor but did have the lions share of possession without ever testing the goalkeeper. The solo goal came around half way through the 1st half with a shot from Pendlebury (right winger) which swerved in. The Bury keeper should've done a lot better though.

https://thepartialview.sport.blog/

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Jul 23, 2019, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #3 of 26 (3624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Halstead Town 3 Parachute Regiment 0
Friendly. Att; 100 ish
Admission ; Free (Collection buckets at the entrance for Paras Charity - pleased to say everyone I saw contributed)
No paperwork.

This was a really enjoyable game that on paper looks like a comfortable win, but the truth is that Halstead had to wait until the 75th minute to take the lead and could have been behind during the first half.
The first period was very close and quite end to end with both teams getting in good positions but resolute defending, lack of confidence in front of goal (The visitors) and decent goalkeeping kept the scores blank. The second half saw Halstead more dominant but the Paras still had many breakaways. Just as it seemed my start to the season would end goal less, Halstead broke the deadlock with a well worked goal that saw the ball laid off in the box and the home forward skipped round the keeper and prodded home. A few minutes later and a superb free kick from 25 yards over the wall and past the keepers dive made it 2, with the kick awarded when a visiting defender had not realised the referee had played an advantage following an offside that went through to the keeper. When it was rolled out to him, he stopped the ball with his hand....play to the whistle! In the dying minutes Halstead added a third when a good build up saw the ball pulled back from the left and turned in from close range.
The Paras as expected were very fit, and organised and could play a bit too. Their No 4 was a class act as was their number 8.
The game was played in very good spirit, with both sides contributing to a good game.
Rosemary Lane is a lovely ground especially for Step 6. I have been before but the ground with its vintage brick built stand with 300 seats and the unusual fixture attracted me back. The remainder of the ground is uncovered flat standing apart from a few steps of terracing at one end. Anyone who has not previous been really should put it on their bucket list.
My previous visit here was in February 1990, which I think is a record for me for distance between visits.
So my season is up and running, not sure what this season will bring as my enthusiasm for non league has diminished a little, due to having seen some absolute dirge last season. We will see, But my enthusiasm is not what it usually is for the start of the season.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 23, 2019, 11:18 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #4 of 26 (3610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gerry Page Memorial Trophy
Christchurch 0-3 Wimborne Town
Attendance 122
Admission £6
Saw no programmes but a hopper present told me there was a double issue with another friendly but couldn't have been many left.

Win was comfortable for the visitors once they broke the deadlock through Will Prior's close range finish just before half time. Two more goals were added in the last 15 minutes, the second looked to me like it was scored by the number 17, announced correctly the first time but then the announcer changed it to 16. Wimborne's twitter has the scorer down as Triallist so it may be that they don't want other clubs to be alerted that they have this player! Tony Lee added the third goal in the 82nd minute. Didn't stay for the presentation of the trophy, which is in memory of a former Christchurch chairman.

rabbie 77
Junior Team Sub

Jul 23, 2019, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Kilmarnock, Spartans

Post #5 of 26 (3608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-season friendly Kings Park Dalkeith

Dalkeith Thistle 2 v Spartans 1

Entry: Free
Attendance: 40 (est)
Programme/team sheet: none
Pin Badge: £2
Coffee £1

The home side from the East of Scotland League against the higher placed visitors from the Lowland League. Certainly some robust challenges flying around for a friendly which led to some 'sensible' refereeing in the 1st half when he sent a Thistle player for a 5 minute cool off rather than showing a red card, and later on, no yellows produced, despite some of the challenges. 2-1 to Dalkeith with a penalty scored by both sides. The home side going ahead with a rasping drive from Cammy Leslie from around 25 yards on 10 minutes, then converting their penalty (Guy Kerr) on 16 minutes. Spartans pulling a goal back just before HT with Aaron Murrell just slotting past the keeper and no more. 2nd half largely controlled by Spartans but without managed to find the target again. Scorching hot conditions, which inevitably brought the midges out in force, in a ground with 3 sides standing and a small covered section which had three sets of steps, but seats put out to sit on. Entertainment provided by the large circus tent which was in full flow in the park next to the pitch with techno music pumping out throughout! The Black Bull pub looked inviting next to the ground, within good walking distance. First time I have seen Spartans 'away'.

(This post was edited by rabbie 77 on Jul 23, 2019, 11:22 PM)

Windy
First Team Sub

Jul 23, 2019, 11:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 26 (3581 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred Cup - Dumbarton 0 Motherwell 2 - Admission £6 (see below) - Programme £2.50 (see below) - Attendance 1,394 (see below)

Fourth trip of five to the Glasgow area although this was slightly in doubt when stuck on a coach on the M6. Eventually we arrived at Buchanan Street 50 minutes late at 6.30 pm so it was a quick stroll to Queen Street station to get the 6.44 train to Dumbarton East which is a short walk away from the ground which is right underneath the famous Dumbarton rock. For this match, the away fans were always expected to outnumber the home fans, but the split ended up being 218 Dumbarton fans and 1,176 Motherwell fans with the away fans moving to take over the middle section of the main stand, which was expected to be the sterile area. All of the other three sides of the ground are left empty with no seats or terracing at all. I was charged only £6 to get in, presumably the old gits rate and maybe I should expect this more and more although I wasn’t asked my age, I was just asked for £6. The programme was a double issue, but there were no sellers to be seen and I was told that some programmes may appear at half time. When I spotted someone with one before the match and asked him where he got it, he kindly took me to the bar where there was a chap selling them. Not exactly going out of their way to sell them which was a bit odd.

The match was a pretty straightforward win for Motherwell who took the lead just before the break in controversial circumstances when a long distance shot from Liam Polworth was pushed away by the keeper, Jordan Pettigrew and the linesman on the near side raised his flag but then put it down again before Christian Ilic found the bottom right corner from 10 yards. The second came after 76 minutes when a Polworth corner was headed home by Peter Hartley and from then on, it was just a matter of whether Motherwell could extend their lead.

Good to see a game on grass after the three previous matches had all been played on 3G pitches although here the grass seemed pretty long to stop Motherwell’s passing game. Off now to get the coach back before making the long trip back up here on Saturday morning and that will be the last trip to Scotland for a long long time.

(This post was edited by Windy on Jul 23, 2019, 11:46 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 12:08 AM

Post #7 of 26 (3526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westfields 6 Monmouth Town 0

Allpay Park: Pre-Season Friendly

The original plan for this evening had been to head to Broomy Hill for the pre-season friendly between Herefordshire FA County League Premier Division hosts Hinton and Hay St Mary’s. However, the Forest Road club had to withdraw from the fixture due being unable to field a team for the fixture, owing to injuries, holidays and players attending the nearby Royal Welsh Show at Builth Wells. Therefore, I headed to Allpay Park instead for the first of two visits within the space of 48 hours for their opening home friendly of the campaign. Westfields had already played three fixtures on the road as they prepare for their inaugural campaign in the Hellenic League Premier Division. The Hereford club had been beaten by Kidlington (3-4) and Horndean (2-4) but enjoyed a 6-0 in at MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division Knighton Town. Monmouth Town had also been busy with their pre-season fixtures that have to be played away from their Chippenham Sports Ground home due to being shared with the town’s cricket club. The Kingsfishers came into this evening’s latest match on the back of a 4-1 reverse at Southern League First Division (South) club Frome Town on Friday evening.

The home team opened the scoring as early as the fourth minute when Monmouth Town goalkeeper Zeke Vivian dropped the ball when challenged by an opponent an opponent and Jayden Nepaul turned the loose ball into an unguarded net. Westfields doubled their lead in the 34th minute when Vivian did well to turn a header on to an upright but Ben Hayes was on hand to turn the loose ball over the line. A third goal arrived for the Hereford club with six minutes remaining until the interval when Aidan Thomas was found in space at the far post from a corner on the right and Aidan Thomas was on hand to fire a low drive past Vivian. The scoring resumed 21 minutes into the second-half when Nepaul headed home from a a cross whipped into the danger area by Henry Hancocks. Nepaul completed his hat-trick nine minutes later with a cheeky chipped effort from the penalty spot after the referee deemed that a foul was committed by a Monmouth Town defender. The scoring was completed in the 81st minute when Vivian parried a low shot from Sam Rawlings but, unfortunately for the former Radnor Valley custodian, the loose ball was turned home by Ollie Price to make it a round half-dozen for Westfields.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 89
Matches: 16
New Grounds: 4

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Jul 24, 2019, 1:45 AM

Post #8 of 26 (3468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Clydebank 7-0 Gartcairn .....PSF....Adm £4

Clydebank blew away Gartcairn over the 90 mins but Gartcairn started well and moved the ball around well. The Bankies opened the scoring on 17 mins through Nicky Little who added a second 9 minutes later,a fine move with a 20 yard finish.Aaron Miller who signed terms with the Club today added a couple more on 28 and 37 mins....Clydebank were in cruise control and playing with a swagger.
After the break Conor Lynass scored a fifth on 49 mins before Nicky Little completed his hattrick on 55 mins.Cue an loads of subs for Clydebank.
Only one more goal on 87 mins as Miller completed his hattrick.
A fine evening's footy in fine sunny conditions. Theres a decent No11 on loan from Hamilton who is worth watching for the Bankies, one for the future,

Karb
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 8:14 AM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #9 of 26 (3259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre-season Friendly
New Bradwell St Peter 2-3 Hanslope
F&N, Att 14

I have a soft spot for New Bradwell St Peter. There's absolutely no reason for this whatsoever, other than both times I've seen them, their opponents were wearing black and white stripes. Sadly, both times I've seen them, they've lost by the same 2-3 scoreline.

The ground is shared with a cricket pitch, and is around a 20 minute walk from Wolverton station, or at least it is if you don't get lost on the way like I did. The pitch is mostly railed off, though roped in the corner nearest the cricket pitch. Changing rooms are on the near side, covered bench type seating on the far side, and the clubhouse is adjacent to the cricket pitch, a couple of minutes walk from the football pitch.

There's quite a slope from left to right as you look from the clubhouse side. Hanslope had the advantage of this in the first half, and led 1-0 at half time through a towering header from a corner by number 7.

In the second half they went 3 goals up, number 7 getting his, and Hanslope's, second on 57 minutes, again from a corner, when he fired in at the near post, then number 10 hitting an unstoppable free kick from around 25 yards on 64.

The home side fought back, scoring a penalty on 69 minutes, number 10 converting, then on 78 minutes when the Hanslope number 11, under pressure from the home number 4, could only head into his own net, but they couldn't find the equaliser.

Rubbish journey back on the trains, eventually getting home about an hour later than planned.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 24, 2019, 8:15 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #10 of 26 (3256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Berwick Charities Cup QF (6.45KO)
Alnmouth v Two Moons, 4-2, Donation to charity, No paper, Att c.50
At The Stanks, Berwick-upon-Tweed

I vaguely recall seeing all or part of a match here in the early 1970s on a family trip to Berwick. I assume that was a Berwick Charities Cup game as the tournament has been going for many decades and the pitch at The Stanks is not used for anything else. Matches take place most nights throughout the Summer – the competition has now reached the Quarter Final stage with the last tie on Wednesday, with the Semis and Final to follow.

The chance to watch a bit of this was too good to miss. I saw around half an hour before heading to Shielfield. Alnmouth took the lead early on with a precision free kick but there seemed little between the teams in the part I saw. The location has been described on here recently and I would simply confirm that it is well worth a visit to Berwick to see a match in such unusual and spectacular surroundings.

Pre match I had enjoyed a pint of Marstons 61 IPA in the Brown Bear, five minutes walk from The Stanks.

Betfred Scottish League Cup Group Game (7.45KO)
Berwick Rangers v Falkirk, 0-3, H.T. 0-1, Admission £12, Programme £2.50, Att 509 (approx. 350 Away)
At Shielfield Park

Shielfield looked superb in the evening sunshine. The pitch was better than I have ever seen it and, for once, was cut short, rather than being left hairy. A large Falkirk support had travelled down expecting a comfortable win for their side – have an away team ever had odds of 1/66 for a game at this level? Not often I suspect.

Berwick were not quite as bad as I expected. Before the game they had conceded 42 goals since they last scored one. Their League Cup results had been a 0-7 and a 0-6. So only losing 3-0 to League One favourites Falkirk is something of a moral victory. In the closing stages they came close to scoring that elusive goal with two gilt-edged chances. One was wasted with a poor shot and the other was well saved by the Falkirk keeper.

By that time they were 0-3 behind. Declan McManus scored with a header in the first half – Berwick performed well by closing down players in midfield and defending strongly. They tired in the second half and for half an hour they were under the cosh. Robbie Leitch and Denny Johnstone added further goals before Falkirk eased up in the closing 15 minutes.

There was no segregation tonight with Falkirk fans around the whole ground. Berwick’s support seemed confined to a small knot of youngsters on the Ducket side and the usual geriatrics in the main stand. I really fear for them in the Lowland League – crowds could easily dip below 200 and I’m not sure if the club is viable on those sort of figures.

The Fish and Chip van appears to be no more. Instead the Berwick Bandits branded catering kiosk was open next to the main stand – looked like a good choice of food but I had already partaken of a fish supper on the High Street. The Club Shop is still open although programme freaks will be disappointed that the boxes of old programmes from all over have been disposed of.

I will make the effort to go back and see a Berwick home game in the Lowland League. They will certainly not be challenging for promotion this season – a mid table finish is the very best they can hope for on the evidence of this game. Their squad is simply not good enough and they will have big problems trying to attract decent players. Berwick was always an attractive option for part time players in the Edinburgh and Lothians area as they offered SPFL football. Now they are on the same level as Bonnyrigg, Spartans, Strollers etc. who will be offering the same sort of wages but without the hassle of driving down to Berwick.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Jul 24, 2019, 9:14 AM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #11 of 26 (3184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Felixstowe and Walton Utd 1 Ipswich Town Under 18s 1
PSF
Dellwood Avenue

Admission: £5
Programme: Nil
Attendance: 335

Decent crowd for this pre-season game, Ipswich team mainly made up of first year players so young and inexperienced but they started on top and took an early lead, Felixstowe equalised through their skipper and ex Ipswich Academy player Bennett, a well worked goal with a good headed finish.

We then had a few bad tackles, not helped by weak officiating, it is a wonder that Academy teams are willing to play these games when some of the opponents just wish to kick the youngsters off the pitch, however this Academy team gave as much as they received and in the second half it was one of the Ipswich subs who got his marching orders after two yellow cards.

The locals reckon Felixstowe will struggle this year after a few players have left, attracted by money ( and ambition?) at Stowmarket or dropping down a level to cut back on travelling, however the home supporters thought this was the best that Felixstowe had played pre-season so far.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 11:32 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #12 of 26 (3012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF
Mundy Playing Fields
Thornbury Town 2 Hallen AFC 1
F&N Attendance: c.40

Long-awaited tick at this basic ground at Step 6. A warm evening and a bit of a curate's egg of a game. First half was fairly poor with the Step 5 visitors shading it and scoring a volleyed goal. The home side showed plenty of spirit but lacked any cutting edge.
Second half was a much better affair with the home side attacking down the wings and they equalised with a beauty of a free-kick on 55 and led with another well taken goal on 65.
Basic facilities and an enthusiastic local crowd; typical for this level. Home in 35.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

Spennyfan_chris
First Team Sub

Jul 24, 2019, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Spennymoor Town FC & Tokyo Verdy

Post #13 of 26 (2966 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Dunston UTS 2-0 Spennymoor Town (HT 0-0)
Att - 320
Admission - £4 (Adult)

Always a very tough game against the newly promoted team who will be playing in the league above after winning the Northern League, it was a decent first half with the home side Dunston hitting the post and the Dunston GK pulling off some good saves to keep the scored at 0-0 at Half Time, the first goal of the game came in the 60th minute thanks to the goal by Luke Page and then about 20 minutes later, Dunston doubled their lead when Mark Fitzpatrick chipped the Trailist GK in the Spennymoor goal, but the Dunston GK yet again pulled off some good saves to keep Spennymoor out and the final whistle came and it was a 2-0 win for the home team.

Football Love - Spennymoor Town FC (National League North) & Tokyo Verdy (JLeague Division 2)

Spennymoor Volunteer & Camera-Man

Hertspireite
Junior Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 12:28 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield FC

Post #14 of 26 (2934 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Spennyfan_chris] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly at New Lamb Meadow
Arlesey Town (Spartan Premier Step 9) 0 v 2 Hitchin Town (Southern League Central Step 7)
HT 0 - 0, Attendance (est HC) 100+
Admission £7, Tea £1, Bottled water £1.50

My first visit to Arlesey who ground share with local neighbours Baldock Town from the same league. Ample car parking at the front of the clubhouse, with a large social room with a bar indoors.

Hitchin supporters turned out for this local derby from the next door town. There were 3 disallowed goals during the game, with both teams stopping for water breaks in the hot conditions. James Varney managed to score twice after the 80th minute.

2018 -19 season. 7 new grounds.
2019 -20 season 24 new grounds.
Newest ground visited The Van Elle Welfare Ground, Pinxton FC, Derbyshire, Central Midlands Football League South, Level 11

KnowYourMarket

Jul 24, 2019, 1:21 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #15 of 26 (2863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hertspireite] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The New Saints 0-2 FC Copenhagen

Admission £12.50, programme available, att: 1230 apparently

Played in blistering English heat (29 degrees when I parked up) and the Danes just passed the ball around TNS and wore them out. Home side never looked like scoring. About 80 Danish "ultras" in attendance and I presume this was their full allocation.

Former Premier League superstar (sic) Dame N'Doye was pretty ineffective and substituted with most of the 2nd half remaining.

The evening heat was increased when catchagogoal sat by me for the duration of the game.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 24, 2019, 3:30 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #16 of 26 (2703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Spelthorne Sports 0 Staines Town 1

Entry - £4. Programme - no. Attendance - h/c 80. Weather - glorious

The proverbial game of two halves. First half was all Spelly. Had around a half dozen chances to score but greed and profligacy accounted for them all. Staines had two long distance efforts and created little else.

Second half was all Staines but they too proved ineffective up front. Then , on 86, when I was all but resigned to my first goalless of the season, Staines no.14 ran into the box from a narrow angle and shot past the Spelly keeper. I was grateful for the goal but a draw would have been a fair result.

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 24, 2019, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Peterborough Sports

Post #17 of 26 (2634 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St Neots 0 Peterborough Sports 5
Entertaining game played in one of the nearest grounds to a train station.sports have knocked in the goals this preseason but impossible to tell if they can carry it through.
Ground will be one of the best in the division bit of a way out from the town though.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 24, 2019, 4:44 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #18 of 26 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It must have been the hot weather and sun stroke but I decided to go to

Edinburgh City 0-1 East Kilbride. Betfred Cup. Att 208, Admission 12, Programme 2.50.

I had watched City's 1-0 win over Dunfermline on Saturday while Kilby had seen off Premiership St Mirren in a penalty shoot out despite this they could only muster 208 between them.

City probably edged it 1st half but EK were more in it 2nd and had 4 1 on 1s with the keeper but 3 of those saw their forward caught offside, the last one eventually led to their goal.

Despite winning the LL twice and likely to repeat it this season hardly a noticable support from the west side just the committee and what what looked to be family members of the players.

Usual excellent city programme with all the details from thw weekend no double issue easy route out for them!

Tried a bride from the catering outlet which was quite good.

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 24, 2019, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #19 of 26 (2542 views)
Shortcut

Glenugie United 4-7 MacDuff
N.E.Scotland FA, Ardallie Cup group 1
at Ugie Park, Peterhead
f&n, h/c 32

Had an 'enforced' night off on Monday - could have gone to Forres and Nairn Welfare where ticks were available, but colpic of this forum and Mrs colpic were on tour including an Inverurie Locos friendly that night, colpic suggesting a beer meet-up afterwards. Declining joining him at a PSF versus a colts side, I had a pleasant remainder of the evening in the pub with them. So Tuesday I needed to be back at it.

One of those times when everything drops right. Very satisfying. This was the only possible sensible tick of the night. I've seen Glenugie United at Dales Park lower, but that's not their only home venue. But could I find info on where tonight's was going to be? Nope. Should I or shouldn't I drive up to Peterhead on the off-chance? Hmmm. Whilst dithering, should I even go for it and drive to Edinburgh City's Betfred match? (I still need them at Ainslie Park) Nope, that would be silly - much better to do that as a Saturday day out on the train when I can also fill my boots on the Edinburgh real ale circuit. So I went for it and drove in hope not expectation up to Peterhead. First stop from the south is Dales Park. Great! - they're not on here tonight. Next is The Links - not there either, but worryingly both sets of posts have been removed now, so it looks like that has gone as a NESFA venue, now that there are fewer guys prepared to bother so there are fewer teams playing on the same matchday. Anything on the pitches outside of Balmoor? (Peterhead FC's SPFL ground) Again, nope. And a look at Barclay Park (end-on to Buchanhaven Hearts' Junior ground). Again empty. So further up the same road to Ugie Park, where I've yet to get a game of any of the Peterhead clubs. Bingo! There they were. Well happy! - it doesn't take much to excite a tick chaser. Tongue

And my indecision meant I'd left it a few minutes late to set off from work, so I arrived five minutes after the scheduled KO, but the ref turned up even later than me, so I even got a delayed start that dropped perfectly for me. Wonderful! Smile

This is a pitch below the residential road (use the bus shelter as cover on rainy days), the roadside stone wall being just the right height to rest against with a view to the far touchline with reed grass then it's down to the sea and a sweeping sandy bay running off to the north. Blue sky, blue sea, happy families playing on the beach, 'only' 24 degrees and a fresh sea breeze (compared to the sweaty weather down in England) and a tick game of competitive football that I wasn't sure I'd get as the foreground. All was good with the world! Smile

And competitive football it certainly was. Only 42 seconds were on the stopwatch when the visitors opened the scoring. 0-4 by the 26th minute. A minute later the best goal of the night - 1-4 from inside his own half and the sun was at that keeper's back, not in his eyes. Glenugie being rallied by that, next was 2-4 then 3-4, before MacDuff finished the half with a goal for 3-5. Oof! Could we keep this scoring rate up in the second period? Erm, nope. Had a long goal-less wait until the 74th for the next - 3-6, followed by a quick succession of 4-6 on 82 and 4-7 on 86 for the number 7's hat-trick.

As with the last time I'd seen Glenugie, their following included some WAGs messing around with one of the spare balls. I hope there's a ladies' side in Peterhead - one of them was really quite talented, more so than her b/f on the pitch!

No pub stops on the way home - I'd got two loads of washing on the line to retrieve. The consequence of receiving houseguests, up in Scotland to chase competitive fitba in the summer months, is that there's then a lot of bedding to put in the wash!

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jul 24, 2019, 6:20 PM)

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 11:05 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #20 of 26 (2333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Royston Town 1 Cambridge City 3
pre-season friendly
£5 in (half price!) and £2 for a full prog. It was sponsors night yesterday so a busy Garden Walk. Didn't do a count but well over 150 in the ground. This was a regular pre-season game for City a few years back when Gary Roberts was in charge....since then City have slipped to step 4 and Royston are up to step 3. The higher level team took an early lead and if I am honest should have extended their lead. Truth is that Royston didn't take their chances and City did- 3-1 to the visitors at half time.
2nd half was a bit disjointed, City introducing their subs throughout the half whilst Royston did a five-off-at-one-go strategy. Royston should have scored at least three in the second half but they didn't and as things settled down City took control for the last 20 mins or so.
Garden Walk looked via tidy this evening. Plans of a bike ride there/train ride home evaporated in the heat and a quiet drive each way meant back indoors just after 10pm.

PaulC

Jul 25, 2019, 12:36 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #21 of 26 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Tried a bride from the catering outlet which was quite good.

Ooh err missus.

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 26, 2019, 8:23 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #22 of 26 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF Swindon Supermarine 2-0 Hungerford Town
£5 Adults, £3 concessions, no programme
Usual Social Media and committee duty
Attendance: Probably about 130-150ish

Thought we were excellent in this one. Took the game to our National League South opponents and dominated for large sections.
2 very, very scruffy goals scored capitalising on mistakes by the visitors back four.
Not in the realms of fantasy that these teams could switch places if the best case/worse case plays out.
Reality will probably be, Supermarine are a top 10 team and Hungerford are very likely to struggle.
Caught up with a couple of old Cheltenham Town friends who are hoppers who were both very impressed by our facilities at Supermarine which was nice to hear.

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 26, 2019, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #23 of 26 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bd] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Inverness CT 3-2 Cove Rangers
Betfred Cup
Admission £12

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...edonian-stadium.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

(This post was edited by Sm1d on Jul 26, 2019, 2:08 PM)

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2019, 4:23 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #24 of 26 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre Season Friendly

Weymouth Street, Warminster

Warminster Town 0(0) Highworth Town 2(1)

Red & Black Striped Shirts / Black Shorts Blue Shirts w Green Trim / Blue Shorts

Attendance 62

Admission £2 No Programmes

Cheese & Onion Roll £1 Bottle of Wickwar BOB £3.20

Warminster’s last pre season friendly at Weymouth Street. Once again it was a hot evening, great for spectators but not so good for the players. Warminster gave their Step 4 visitors a hard game and went into the break just a goal down but despite pressing for an equaliser they were undone by a defensive mistake eight minutes from full time. On now to Westbury on Friday evening for their final PSF with local bragging rights at stake.

(This post was edited by sheffgeoff on Jul 26, 2019, 4:37 PM)

royals26

Jul 26, 2019, 9:08 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #25 of 26 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Tuesday 23rd July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF

Memorial PF, Green Lane (KO 19:30)

Hartley Wintney 5-1 Leatherhead
{STEP03 SOUTH -PS} v {STEP03 ISTH-P}

Adm: £5 Prog: N but teamsheet available on request from Board Room

Att: h/c roughly 120+

Directions/facilities : regular here only about 25 mins away down A33/B3011.

Some changes over summer or maybe since last visit :
- New seated stand up the touchline from existing one - had a temporary feel about it scaffold poles and big step platforms with mounted seats - well most of them were - check before sitting! Shocked
- New 2nd turnstile in the corner top left
- Some evidence they might be opening up the bottom of ground to make it 4 sided - not sure if that has meant moving the goal-line in slightly?
- Mobile food van next to clubhouse

Match:
0-1 - good finish low on the near post by 'Tanners' flying left winger.
1-1 on h/t corner driven home from close range after not being cleared fully at the near post.
Ht
2-1 pen handball CB under pressure from a high-ball
3-1 very strong play down the left - cross to forward running in, initial shot saved from his volley but he recovered quickly and drove high into the far corner.
4-1 Home side were now overpowering the Tanners in the heat. Proved to be too strong & direct going forward and started to up the gears as the visitors wilted

Oddly enough L'head had started well & were neat in possession but a eventually proved to be bit weak in key areas: down the flanks - in CM and Central defence.

5-1 another pen CB again spotted pushing under a high-ball.

Easy trundle back home - indoors (via New City Fish bar by 22:00)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3