Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Wed 24 July

Callum
Youth Team Sub

Jul 24, 2019, 10:09 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2344 views)
Shortcut
Wed 24 July Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lower Breck 2 Skelmersdale Utd 2
120ish free adm. 7.23pm ko
LB on top throughout but were 2 down at HT.
A new atcost is being built to the left as you enter. Looks the same shape and size as the current one in the corner

The Moose
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 10:44 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 11 (2297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Callum] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF: MELKSHAM TOWN 1 BATH CITY 2

ADM: £7. PROG: £1 (16 pages). ATT: 476

A game I’ll probably have forgotten by the time I have my next bacon sarnie! It took a long time to warm up, before the better team on the night won with a lucky fluke of a goal. The tippy tippy stuff was played by the Romans, but they missed many of the chances created. Melksham surprised me a tad by not being too adventurous. Then I realised they’re now managed by the ex Street boss. They should be alright, but it may not be too pretty to watch for the regulars. Time will tell of course & I hope they do well in their splendid facilities.

After a couple of seasons, tiz good to see the near end goal with a terraced cover, which gives it three sides of cover now. Also a pleasant surprise to find the driveway to the ground, finally with some shiny tarmac too. No more avoiding the potholes required, on the way in or out. Pleasant evening out with the granddaughter, & we enjoyed some bonding time. She gets to choose our days entertainment tomorrow however, so it’s the library reading challenge for us then instead of footy!

KRTM :-)

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #3 of 11 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
PSF: MELKSHAM TOWN 1 BATH CITY 2

ADM: £7. PROG: £1 (16 pages). ATT: 476

A game I’ll probably have forgotten by the time I have my next bacon sarnie! It took a long time to warm up, before the better team on the night won with a lucky fluke of a goal. The tippy tippy stuff was played by the Romans, but they missed many of the chances created. Melksham surprised me a tad by not being too adventurous. Then I realised they’re now managed by the ex Street boss. They should be alright, but it may not be too pretty to watch for the regulars. Time will tell of course & I hope they do well in their splendid facilities.

After a couple of seasons, tiz good to see the near end goal with a terraced cover, which gives it three sides of cover now. Also a pleasant surprise to find the driveway to the ground, finally with some shiny tarmac too. No more avoiding the potholes required, on the way in or out. Pleasant evening out with the granddaughter, & we enjoyed some bonding time. She gets to choose our days entertainment tomorrow however, so it’s the library reading challenge for us then instead of footy!

KRTM :-)

Also at this (unsurprisingly)! I would agree for the first half, we were tentative, but after the break at times I thought we stretched them. Great goal from Jack Ball. I think we will be fine; we look more balanced now we have lost some of the more expensive dead weights from last season (they are all at Frome and are all due to be back with us on Boxing Day...).

Fey has a style of play (and it ain't hoof-ball) and I'm pleased he's stuck with a mix of imports and local youngsters. Great to see Demkiv and Jeffery back from Westbury and Andy Sandell rumbled around fouling everyone (!). The ex-Street players all looked solid, so I'm good with the new phase in our history.

Really enjoyed this.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Jul 24, 2019, 11:02 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2019, 11:48 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kington Town 1 Church Stretton Town 3

Mill Street: Pre-Season Friendly

This was my first visit to Mill Street for exactly three months when I watched the home club entertain Tenbury United in an end of season Herefordshire County League Premier Division fixture. A lot has changed since then for both clubs, with former Radnor Valley player/manager Paul Morgan taking over in the dugout at Kington Town, whilst their Worcestershire opponents that evening have since decided to voluntary relegate themselves to the First Division of the league. The Yellows have played just the one pre-season fixture thus far and that resulted in a convincing victory over Presteigne St Andrews of the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division. Church Stretton Town are a little further ahead in their preparations as the West Midlands (Regional) League Second Division commences in just over a fortnight. The Shropshire club finished runners-up last term and continued their build-up to new campaign with a 3-1 victory at JT Hughes Montgomeryshire League First Division outfit Bishop’s Castle Town on the weekend.

The visitors opened the scoring after 24 minutes when a low cross on the right edge of the penalty area was headed over the line from close range. Kington Town were not behind for very long though as they levelled the scores virtually straight after the restart. The Yellows broke quickly down the right and a low cross into the danger area was converted from close range. The Shropshire club were back in front again on the half-hour mark though when a cross from out on the right flank was met with a looping header that found its way just inside the far post of the Kington Town goal. The visitors doubled their lead with 17 minutes remaining on the clock after netting from a corner to hand the West Midlands (Regional) League club a handy advantage. Church Stretton Town appeared more likely in the closing stages of eh match to add to their tally after heading wide from an 81st minute corner before forcing Ton Lewis to parry a close range header five minutes later.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 93
Matches: 17
New Grounds: 4

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 25, 2019, 8:50 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #5 of 11 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred Scottish League Cup Group Game
Hearts v Stenhousemuir, 2-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 7299, Admission £12 / £6, Programme £3, Coffee £2.20
At Tynecastle Park

It’s 42 years since I last saw a Hearts v Stenhousemuir League Cup tie. In that occasion, on a Monday evening in 1977, Hearts finally produced an 88th minute goal to win 1-0 against a plucky Warriors side. This time round, they again needed to produce a “get out of jail free” card to secure a result against Stenhousemuir.

Premiership v League Two should, on paper, be no contest. However, the way football is played these days makes it easier for limited teams to defend their way to surprising results. Hearts persisted with a slow and precise build-up, probing for openings that never really came. Stenhousemuir played 5-4-1 and denied Hearts the time or space to make the most of their possession. In the “good old days” players with talent would have utilised individual skill and pace to destroy weaker opponents but not now.

It was little surprise that Hearts were booed off at half time. Their support has always been of the glass half empty variety – a miserable bunch of moaners. Remember Alasdair Dewar on the BBC? Think of several thousand clones of him.

Stenhousemuir rode their luck at times, never more so than a crazy 20 seconds midway through the second half when Hearts should have scored with one of four attempts on goal. Goalkeeper Graham Smith made an astounding save, then clawed the shot from the rebound away while lying on the ground. The ball broke to Ikpeazu who lashed it towards goal to be blocked by a defender on the line and then someone else had a point blank effort that was also cleared off the line. Unlucky for Hearts? Not really – a modicum of composure and they could have scored with a placed shot rather than belting the ball randomly goalwards.

Incredibly the visitors took the lead in the 77th minute in one of their rare attacks. Hickey failed to get close to his man on the right and let him run on and cross to the far post where Mark McGuigan managed to divert the ball past Zlamal.

Stennie instantly began to give a textbook demonstration of time-wasting tactics which wound up the seething Jambos even more. It was only in the last ten minutes that Hearts upped the pace and began to really attack Stenhousemuir. It paid off with two goals from the unlikely character of centre half Craig Halkett, up supplementing the woefully inadequate Hearts forward line at set pieces.

Initially Hearts were only going to open the Main Stand for home supporters. Due to demand they had to open the Gorgie end as well. There seemed to be some sort of offer on for kids as the place was hoaching with them. Stennie brought around 150 supporters, housed in the School End.

Programme was £3 and poor value with page after page of photos of limited relevance to the game. At least Curtis Sport managed to get the programmes to Tynecastle on time for this game – unlike for Hibs v Arbroath the previous night when there was “no programme” due to them not being delivered from Curtis on time.

Took the train over to allow for a few pre-match swallies in the Guildford where, for once, the beer choice was limited to five. Stewart Brewing’s Scaramanga was an ideal choice for the warm weather.

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Jul 25, 2019, 6:46 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #6 of 11 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

White Notley 3-5 Witham Town XI (HT 1-2)

An entertaining game on a hot night.
Witham's second friendly in two days, the previous game at Mildenhall the night before.
Notley's ground is basic but set in a pleasant rural location.

bd
Youth Team Regular

Jul 26, 2019, 8:18 AM

Team(s): Swindon Supermarine and Reading

Post #7 of 11 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF Shrivenham 3-2 Didcot Town
Played at Cirencester's Corinium Stadium
Free Entry
Crowd: About 50-60 I never count!

With Shrivenham having work done on their pitch and ground the Hellenic Prem side continue to play at different venues during pre-season as they took on Southern League Didcot and similarly to the game I went to the previous night, it was the team in the division below that looked the better side for the majority.

Didn't really recognise many faces in the away side, only one or two with GK Leigh Bedwell and they look like a poorer team than the one that was in The SW section a couple of years ago.

Shrivenham look like they are set for another strong campaign and could go close if it all comes together for them this year.

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 26, 2019, 11:17 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #8 of 11 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Buckie United 4-0 RAF Lossiemouth
Moray Welfare, WJ Tewnion Memorial Trophy QF
at Gordon Park, Portgordon
f&n, h/c 9 (just family members, + me)

I’m getting senile in my old age! I’ve not had Buckie United on my left-to-do list of the Moray Welfare sides, since I had thought (as had Hoddy, in his useful compilation of Scottish summer-football venues on this forum in Ground Hopping & Programmes > General > Scotland Summer Leagues 2019) that United were playing out of Linzee Gordon Park in Buckie, and I had thought that I had already done them there. Hunting for a tick for tonight, there were none. But this fixture appearing was niggling away at me, getting me doubting myself. Had I really seen Buckie United at LGP? I know that I’ve definitely been there, for a Portgordon Victoria Juniors’ match (they were locked out of the ground in their village in a 2014 acrimonious dispute over the intended use of a bequest, sadly before I’d got round to getting them ticked there; firstly going to Elgin, using both the Nicol-Togneri and Pinefield adjacent pitches, then to LGP in Buckie, before giving up and folding). But checking my records in my lunchbreak showed that I hadn’t actually also been to a Buckie United game at LGP after all! Doh! So off I set after work this evening, for the hour and a quarter drive to the Moray coast.

Arrived at the LGP public park to find not only nothing doing, but also the goalposts bent at an angle that meant they wouldn’t really pass muster for proper football – it didn’t look like there’d been a game on here for ages. But hang on a minute… I had a thought – the venue on the league’s official website for all of Buckie United’s home games this season hasn’t actually said “Linzee Gordgon Park”, just “Gordon Park”, and that’s the name of the ground in nearby Portgordon that Vics were thrown out of. Off I went. And yep, there everybody was. Bingo! – the second day in a row I’ve had an uplifting feeling of joy upon arriving to find a match about to take place at a bonus venue. I’ve obviously been away from Yorkshire too long. I must make a trip back home soon to recharge my dourness level!

Later this evening, checking (as best I could) past Moray Welfare seasons, it seems that Buckie United have been on the Portgordon ground for a good few years, slipping under my radar. It was FC Buckie who were the Moray Welfare side on LGP, before they folded. Buckie Rovers had used LGP for Junior fitba years ago, before they moved to their current Merson Park home.

The pitch here was properly mown fairway, and there was a semi-rough inside the tubular-scaffolding spectator rail. But the zone outside that rail had been left to go back to nature – waist-high grass. Several times in the match a ball going into that rough was so difficult to find that the game continued with a second ball whilst a sub was sent off to hunt for it. So all spectating is done from inside the spectator rail. There is a small bunker offering spectator cover, should you feel the need to hack through the jungle to get to it on a wet day. But since both the permanent rusting metal subs’ benches huts are plonked inside the spectator rail blocking the sightlines to both goals, it would be a bit pointless using it. As an ex-Junior venue, the whole thing is enclosed, but by a see-through mesh fence. The car park and changing rooms block are outside the fence, behind the goal.

Not that warm an evening – ‘only’ 22 degrees, compared to the rail-buckling temperatures down south. But still there was felt a need for a water break half-way through the opening period – the visitors might have all been as fit as one would expect our fine military servicemen to be, but some of the home side weren’t necessarily football-player shaped. The centre back not because a fatty like the one neutral spectator tonight, but a strapping bloke who wouldn’t have looked out of place on a rugby pitch. Indeed when one of his colleagues was limping off slowly when being substituted, this strongman ran across, swept him up in his arms without even breaking stride, carrying him chair-like whilst still running – as if an eager groom in a hurry to get his bride across the threshold and up the stairs!

But there’s more to football than fitness. The better ball skills of the hosts meant they were first to break the deadlock, early in the second period. This being a cup tie, the airmen’s need to get back into it meant they could no longer be military defence, they had to start bombing down the wings and firing in missiles for the strike force to hit the target. Sorry. Enough.
That opened up opportunities for United, which they exploited well, scoring a further 3 in the 10 minutes from 73 to 83. An enjoyable match and a very satisfactory tick – good to see a ground that I had mistakenly thought had gone, still in active use.

The most-direct route back to the house requires going via Aberchirder. So it would have been rude not to have dropped into my favourite pub for the second time in four days, cuddling the one pint for as long as possible whilst participating in the usual friendly chat at the marvellous New Inn. The German tourists just finishing their meal couldn’t quite work out why in Scotland they were surrounded by Yorkshiremen – the landlord plus all three of us customers sat at the bar.

A happy day. Smile

I’ve got an enforced day off from spectating on Thursday – am on duty cheering up an Aberdeen fan mate in front of his TV, who’s disconsolate that the switch of sense of their Europa League tie in Tbilisi meant he couldn’t get another pass out from his boss. Having only just got back into work on Monday from his trip to last Thursday’s game in Finland, he couldn’t get the green light to start disappearing off for the rest of this week too. Rare that he misses any of their Eurofooty adventures. All credit to the 50 Aberdeen fans who are able to make a second consecutive trek into Europe at such short notice. I’ll be back to getting out in the fresh air on Friday – taking the easier option of a different NESFA team on the same pitch I was at on Tuesday. That trumps having to sneak out of work early enough to get to one of the several Scottish Junior West games that have innovatively been brought forward to Friday night.

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 26, 2019, 3:13 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #9 of 11 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ross County 2-0 Forfar Athletic
Betfred Cup
Admission £12

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...3-victoria-park.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Jul 26, 2019, 6:47 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #10 of 11 (915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Atherton Collieries 2 Al-Ittihad 0
Admission £5
Attendance 710

As pre-season friendlies go, this was certainly up there with the most surreal before the game even kicked off - come full-time, it was hard to believe your eyes with Colls seeing off their top-flight Saudi Arabian opponents with relative ease!

The fixture came about with Al-Ittihad (lowest paid first team player reputed to be paid in the region of £47k a week!) based at the Bolton Whites Hotel during a short tour of behind closed doors friendlies against Bolton, Leeds and Bury, ending in three victories. They enquired with Bolton about finding a further fixture during their stay and so they pitched up at the Skuna Stadium, renamed back to Alder House for the evening given Skuna are a local brewery.

Hard to tell just how strong a side the visitors featured, but they had several players with squad numbers lower than 11, while a striker wearing 77 is always far more likely to be a star player! Cool

Colls were 14/1 to win at the start of the game but after an opening period where the visitors saw a lot of the ball without really doing a lot, the hosts grew in confidence and in the end scored a goal in each half and could have maybe added a couple more.

With Colls receiving attention from BBC Sport, FourFourTwo and The Sportsman, amongst others including The Arab Times(!), it was nice to see the club's name in lights, though this didn't even scratch the surface compared to the visitors, with even the mere tweeting of the scoreline receiving 470 replies, never mind however many views!

An evening to last long in the memory!

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 27, 2019, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #11 of 11 (651 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Wed 24 July [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Colyton Reserves 3 Axmouth United 3 (PSF) Att: 46 h/c f&n

Cracking game, and not played like a friendly, but highly competitive. This was just about the right result: both sides impressed and were very evenly matched.

This was played not at the Peace Memorial Field, but at the club's old ground at Chantry Bridge. I had driven past it a few weeks ago and was pleased to see it looked in good nick, and it is well worth a visit if the opportunity comes along again. There is a decent bit of cover in front of the dressing rooms, but not a lot else, other than a cracking setting. I imagine this pitch floods quite easily as it is very close to the river. Excellent tick.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3