Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 28th July 2019

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Jul 28, 2019, 5:34 PM

Post #1 of 20 (4154 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 28th July 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Abergavenny 3 Kidderminster Harriers 4

Pen-y-Pound Stadium: Pre-Season Fixture

Abergavenny were playing their first pre-season fixture ahead of the upcoming Welsh Premier Women's League campaign after finishing in fourth position last season. The West Midlands Regional League First Division South had already played one pre-season game thus far and that resulted in a 6-0 defeated at the hands of higher-graded West Bromwich Albion. The hosts opened the scoring in the second minute with a chip over the Harriers goalkeeper from the edge of the penalty area. The visitors were level from a 19th minute corner before Abergavenny thundered a penalty against the crossbar just two minutes later. Kidderminister Harriers were ahead in their next attack when a visiting forward drove into the penalty area and beat the Abergavenny goalkeeper with a low shot at her near post.

The home team were level on the half hour when the Harriers custodian spilled a low cross and the loose was turned home from close range. The Worcestershie club regained the lead in the 48th minute after breaking down the right and seeing the subsequent cross swept into the net. The advantage was extended in the 69th minute when the Abergavenny goalkeeper made a couple of close range saves and a defender blocked another effort before the ball was eventually forced over the line from close range. The Welsh Premier League outfit reduced the deficit three minutes later when a young Abergavenny forward ran on to a through ball before calmly sliding the ball past the onrushing Harriers goalkeeper. But the Monmouthshire hosts were unable to force an equaliser in their fixture that consisted of three 30 minute periods.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 111
Matches: 20
New Grounds: 4

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jul 28, 2019, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #2 of 20 (3885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surprised to be reporting this game first. Everyone else is probably still getting home…

Uhlsport United Counties League, Division One –
Irchester United 3 Wellingborough Whitworth 3
Attendance 328
Admission £5, worthy 12-page programme £1 (Irchester usually do online progs)
Pint of Wells “Eagle Smooth” £2.90

Having ticked off a couple of the weekend’s venues previously, I couldn’t resist the middle of the three Sunday hop games for my first game of the new season. The ground is down Alfred Street which, today, was off limits for vehicles except for players and officials. Minions parked in the adjacent recreation ground.

Irchester’s home is shared with the local cricket club and only two-and-a-half sided for spectators, with a seated stand behind the car park end goal and two-deep standing cover (changing room overhang) for the rest of the end. The dugouts are on the housing side opposite the cricket square, near to which is the location for a removable floodlight, and railed hard standing only reaches halfway behind the far end.

The homesters took a 7th minute lead when Ty Clark hit an ineffective looking bobbly 20 yarder which Whitworth keeper Jacob Wood watched into the net. In the next minute a shout of “Nice and tight” by home custodian Dale Hamilton resulted in Remy Brittan heading home unmarked at the far post from a corner. Whitworth probably deserved a half time lead and got it in stoppage time, when Jason Crawley turned and hit a gently deflected 20 yarder low into the corner.

The first half of the second half was a bit drab and shy of shots, but the game sprung to life with the introduction of wiry Romans sub James Ball, who headed home at the far post in the 72nd after great right wing work by Clark, then picked up a pass on the wing 40 yards from home and rampaged away for a fine solo goal in the 81st. By this time Irchester were down to ten men, having used up all their subs and picked up an injury. They very nearly held on for a win but, once again in stoppage time, Whitworth struck when sub Jonny Hazell watched the flight of a looping ball intently then volleyed it viciously into the net for the third 20 yarder of the game. All in all, enjoyable fayre and a good marker for the rest of the season.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 29, 2019, 12:35 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #3 of 20 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highland Welfare Cup. 2nd Round. @ Catto Park Peterhead. KO 14:15. (F&N). Crowd 27.

Haven 5 v 3 Boat of Garten

Catto Park is a 3G cage outside Peterhead's ground, just the basic cage with no specific viewing area. Very warm day with the match played under clear blue skies.

Lots of early action with the home side conceding an OG after 2 minutes but equalising on 4. Then 2-1, 2-2 and 3-2 by 25 minutes to complete the first half scoring. Little action in the second period until the home side made the game safe around 77 minutes, adding another before conceding with almost the last kick of the game.

Thanks to my chauffeur, LeedsPhil for driving and for Sunday dinner at the wonderful New Inn Aberchirder after the game. Really enjoyable day.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 29, 2019, 2:10 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 20 (3498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Highland Welfare Cup. 2nd Round. @ Catto Park Peterhead. KO 14:15. (F&N). Crowd 27.
Catto Park is a 3G cage outside Peterhead's ground,
=======================================

So just the grass pitch and the inner athletics pitch to do at Lord Catto Rec then Dave ?
What happened to it taking pace at Ugie Park ?

Anyway I was at Botev Vratsa v Loko Plovdiv.
Back at Hristo Botev Stadium for the full season after spending part of last season at Montana while they were stadium upgrading.
So many teams / grounds in Bulgaria named after poet /revolutionary Hristo Botev.

Bulgaria top tier.
18-45.
Botev 1 v 4 Loko.

Botev gave it away when having pulled a goal back to 1-2 and looking good by having Milanov sent off on the hour. Loko played it well with the extra man.
Great views of the mountains.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jul 29, 2019, 2:14 AM)

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 29, 2019, 12:13 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #5 of 20 (3204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Betfred Scottish League Cup Group Game
Dundee v Inverness Caledonian Thistle, 1-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 2066 (134 Away), Admission £12 / £6, Programme £3, Teamsheets by donation, Catering open
At Dens Park

I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from this game. A draw would see both teams qualify for the quarter finals, with neither being seeded. A win for either team would see the winners qualify (still unseeded) and the losers drop out, with East Fife taking over as one of the best-placed second-placed teams. Logic said both teams might be content with the draw. However, further thought suggested that this was their final game before the League campaign started and they should both be accelerating their preparations rather than taking the foot off the pedal.

Thankfully both teams went for it. The first 45 minutes provided entertaining end-to-end football. At the break it could easily have been two each with chances galore and a succession of efforts on goal. Dundee led 1-0 thanks to Danny Johnson’s effort – ICT keeper Ridgers will be unhappy at having conceded at his near post, something he has been guilty of on several occasions when I have seen him.

The second half was rather less exciting but still interesting. Dundee looked the more likely to score again against a Caley side who gave the ball away far too easily.

Three sides of the ground were open – the Derry, the Provost Road End and the Main Stand. The Caley fans were located at the end of the main stand nearest Tannadice. I watched from the main stand, being careful to locate one of the seats that does not have a restricted view – not easy in this area of the ground.

Programme was a bit sparse on content for £3. Teamsheets can be picked up at the ticket desk in the club shop in exchange for a donation. The club shop is outside the Provost Road end of the ground. Didn’t bother with the catering having been disappointed with it at Dens Park before.

Pre-match pint in Whites, the pub at the top of Provost Road. Last time I was in there was 30 plus years ago, probably before a United European tie. It’s not great and the choice of beer is very limited but the options in the immediate vicinity of Dens and Tannadice are not very exciting.

Overall an entertaining game and one that I am glad I went to in preference to the friendly at Murrayfield between Liverpool and Napoli. It amuses me greatly that Liverpool didn’t realise they had to ask the permission of the SFA to stage a game in Scotland and they now face the prospect of a heavy fine from FIFA for doing so retrospectively.

Callum
Youth Team Sub

Jul 29, 2019, 2:15 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool 0 Napoli 3
Adm £39 att65430 (ground football record?)
Prog £5

Dire game interrupted by 3 cracking goals. Insigne tore Trent A-A apart all game.
Somehow ended up in the 2 very small blocks of Napoli fans in the North Stand having selected 4 tickets together on ticketmaster, I thought I’d got lucky not being with Liverpool ‘supporters’ (my partner and her mum with me are actual scousers) and it would just be Italian tourists/ Napoli Hardcore in there but I was sat within the most excitable FIFA/Football Manager generation of teenagers who were so boring to listen to and celebrated every goal like it was there first ever game, very odd.
No singing throughout totally dull spectacle.
Have to say the workers at Murrayfield were outstanding I had decided to take my little 8 month old with me and be one of those families who turn up to a sold out game with a pram! Murrayfield has a buggy park under the South Stand, the 3G rugby pitches behind the West Stand were great to chill out on, the food queues were horrendous, finally got back to InglistonP&R tram stop by 8.15 and finally out of the car park by 8.50! And Murrayfield wants to host a CL final...

(This post was edited by Callum on Jul 29, 2019, 2:17 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Jul 29, 2019, 3:04 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #7 of 20 (2882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Catto Park is a 3G cage outside Peterhead's ground,

So just the grass pitch and the inner athletics pitch to do at Lord Catto Rec then Dave ?
What happened to it taking pace at Ugie Park ?

Hi Hod, don't think I will be going back for the others! We spoke to a member of the Haven team and it seems that they were unhappy with Ugie Park and I think they are going to play their remaining games at Catto.

They are currently having a new ground built but there has been a delay in getting the water connected, so it seems next season for their first game on the new ground. My chauffeur LeedsPhil will be able to supply more details.

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2019, 4:03 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #8 of 20 (2797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Haven 5-3 Boat Of Garten Ospreys
Tom Hunter Memorial Highland Welfare Cup, R2 (last 16)
at Catto Park (3G cage outside Peterhead FC’s Balmoor)
f&n, h/c 29

There were only two possible ticks for me today. Kingussie’s and Haven’s in this inter-league cup, each a case of whether the venue would be different to where I’ve already seen them host. Requests for info lodged earlier in the week sat unanswered, leaving me nervous, until New Deer clarified that they were travelling to Carrbridge to meet Kingussie – the same ‘rare’ venue (no club plays there now) that I’d seen Kingussie borrow to win in the previous round, so no interest to me. My Friday out at football had taken me past Haven’s usual home pitch, where I’ve already seen them – Barclay Park, end-on to Buchanhaven Hearts Juniors’ ground. That was marked up with several small-sided pitches, so it was looking unlikely that they’d be on there. Haven have got their own new pitch, at St Fergus, which they’ve not yet moved to since hot water etc isn’t yet up and running in the changing rooms. Could today’s be the first there? Ooh – the anticipation was killing me! Getting home at 7pm after Saturday football – still no answer from Haven. Getting home at 11pm after an evening’s pub crawl with houseguest Dave56 – still no answer from Haven. Hmmm. They’re usually the best of the NESFA clubs at keeping their social media up to date. Could this be a sign that they’re not even sure BoG will come? – clubs in that Strathspey & Badenoch Welfare League struggle to raise an XI even for local games, never mind enough guys willing to trek all the way across to Peterhead. A w/o-scr would be a disastrous tickless Sunday. Aargh! Nearly bedtime and I’m missing crucial info for the next day’s footy. STRESS !! So, one last bash at sending a reminder to Haven, and good as gold they replied within a few minutes, declaring Ugie Park. Phew. I could go to bed happy, looking forward to my third visit there in 5 days – but for three different home teams, so counting as separate bracketed ticks.

My catering skills are zero, so for his Sunday brekkie I took Dave to the Pitstop transport caff to ensure his arteries didn’t go soft on him – a converted coach permanently parked in the lay-by on the A96 near Pitcaple whose greasy fry-ups are notorious and not for the faint hearted. I like their sign “if you see me eating salad, I am signalling to you that I have been kidnapped”. Even with that detour, we rocked up good and early in Peterhead, passing Barclay Park where the many small-sided pitches were hosting a kiddies fun day, before arriving at Ugie Park …to find nothing. Sh!t – hope it isn’t the dreaded no-show w/o-scr. But a quick check of Haven’s social media (thanks to Dave’s smart phone, not my Nokia brick – such novelties may catch on one day!) showed that the venue had changed as last-minute as this morning, to now be in the 3G cage outside the town’s SPFL ground. That patch of ground was redeveloped. It used to have two pitches running parallel to the road, a grass one and a tatty old astro. I’ve seen a NESFA fixture on the grass one. But now there’s just the one snazzy 3G pitch, orthogonal to that. I’m not a member of the overlap police, so this is a new pitch to me, and a different home side anyway so would be a bracketed to anybody who panics about footprints. All new to Dave, so a bona fide tick for him, although I got the feeling he was questioning his sanity at coming this far out of his way for just this one 3G cage fixture!

Chatting with the Haven club official pre-match, he was amazed that anybody even knew about his club, never mind was asking him about the state of readiness of their new St Fergus home (they’ve given up trying to get any there this season, it’ll be next season now before they move in). It was a combination of the grass at Ugie Park being a bit long plus (more importantly) because he’d forgotten to make the associated booking of the community centre changing rooms, that Ugie Park hadn’t been today’s venue, and in the emergency of this morning Catto Park was offered to him at a knock-down grassroots-football rate of only £40, so why not. We’ll see whther they play NESFA fixtures here from now on, or at Ugie, or at Barclay Park after the fun day stuff will have been removed. Next Haven home fixture is Friday – I’ll have my radar on the venue used for that one.
He also revealed that he’d had to drive around the countryside that morning getting lads out of bed who’d been out on the lash on Saturday night (this is a league that doesn’t usually play on Sundays). He’d only just got 11, no subs.

Boat Of Garten’s minibus arrived at quarter to 2, so KO was officially delayed to quarter past (and didn’t actually start until 20 past). They too had only got a squad of 11. In baking heat, Dave was regretting having left his hat in his car parked back at my house, so I lent him my Yorkshire flat cap to prevent his follicly-challenged pate from burning. After all, he’s moved oop north now, so it’s about time he integrated! There are photographs. All he wants for Christmas now is a whippet!

Belying the heat, the game itself had a blistering start. An o.g. on 68 seconds by the Haven full back gifted the visitors a dream start. 4 minutes in and we were level, 11 minutes and Haven were in front. Having seen both clubs this summer, I’d predicted an easy home win, so surely this was the march back towards victory after that unfortunate start. But no, BoG equalised on 19. Not in front for long though, 3-2 and we’d only had 24 minutes. Phew, time for a drinks break.
A 12th man for Haven did arrive 21 minutes into the game, he’d obviously ‘slept well’. He was soon subbed on, so one of the starting XI must have been a make-weight.
After that early burst, no increase in the lead was forthcoming in a flat second period, until the 77th when thoughts of an equaliser and ET were put to bed by 4-2. The same forward got his hat-trick for 5-2 in the 89th, before a consolation for Boat in stoppage time.

We had been offered to come back for food to the post-match bar, a kind gesture by the Haven official, but we already had a table booking in my favourite Sunday roast dinner venue – the New Inn over at Aberchirder, where Dave proved that despite moving north he’s still a soft girlie southerner by being unable to finish the generous helping that Gary the Yorkshire landlord serves up. After a moment to ‘breathe’ back at my place, we were off again, me sipping tap water whilst chauffeuring Dave round some of the Aberdeen pubs he’d not yet ticked, until midnight closing time. All fine, until the getting up in the morning for work bit. I’m ready for the relaxed starts to days that you retirees can enjoy!

I think I’ll skip slipping out of work early to chase down to West Juniors land for a Monday night tick – their 7pm KOs are too early, making it a bit difficult from up here, especially when I’ve got to be back home in time to strip the guest bed and prepare it for the immediate arrival on Monday evening of the next houseguest – Yorkieexile again spending a few days at his ‘second home’ whilst there’s Scottish fitba to be had.

(This post was edited by LeedsPhil on Jul 29, 2019, 4:09 PM)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2019, 4:20 PM

Post #9 of 20 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Belgian Cup 1st Round

Eendracht Aalter 3-1 Racing Lauwe
Admission €7, no paper
Att: 152 (h/c)
Beer or coffee 2 tokens

For regular travellers through Belgium, you'll regularly see the back of the main stand and floodlights at Aalter as its right next to the E40 motorway between Gent and Bruges, so it made perfect sense to us to make this the stop off game on the way back to the 8pm Dunkirk-Dover ferry.

Very enjoyable game which could have been 5-4. Aalter opening the scoring late in the first half at that point against the run of play with a cross/cum shot which went in off the under-side of the crossbar.

They doubled their lead early in the 2nd half but were then wasteful, as indeed were Racing at the other end until a lob from inside the centre circle with 20 minutes to go made it 2-1 and it was game on once more.

Both sides really could have scored twice more each, but it was left to the home sides no 10 who was offside for most of the afternoon slotted home a 3rd deep into injury time.

Referee was a Kevin de Bruyne lookalike.

A wonderful ground which as my Flemish is pretty non-existent has just started to be renovated. The players making the long walk to the next door sports centre and a path way leading to what I assume was the changing rooms area of the stand fenced off and a digger parked in there. If the stand does/doesnt go, its a large stand with the clubhouse end and far side having plenty of covered terrace. Not only was it covered by a roof but some seriously over-growing weeds and grass and made it even more enjoyable.

With no hold ups on the motorway we arrived at Dunkirk ferry port an hour after setting off and in plenty of time for the ferry home.

Less said about the amounts of road closures this side the better. a 2 1/4 hour journey back from Dover thanks to the various diversions through the Kent and Surrey countryside took us 4 1/2 hours. Indeed for once, the M25 was the only bit of the journey that wasn't delayed.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Jul 29, 2019, 4:35 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #10 of 20 (2746 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Attended all 3 Hop games on the Sunday - good write up of game 2 by Ashtree RockBee
Other game details were:
Game 1 - Cogenhoe United 0 Loughborough University 1
UCL Premier
Compton Park
Teamsheets as well as programmes available
Attendance: 262

Game 3
Whittlesey Athletic 1 Huntingdon Town 2
UCL Div 1
Feldale Field
Programmes on sale
Attendance: 340
I thought the first half of the first game was the best football of the day and once the Students have all their squad to choose from, they should give a few teams a hard game as the season progresses.
Ground is basic, but decent clubhouse, exposed on edge of village, arrival was well organised and food on offer was varied and selling well.

Nothing to add to match report on game 2, other than the injury to the Irchester forward was very nasty cut, which he seemed to get as he attempted to keep a ball in by the goal line, not sure if caused by glass/stone or perimeter pole.
As the day went on the rain got worse and it felt more like a January match day rather than July, very few would have believed that only 72 hours previously and only 30 miles from where we were now watching football, Britain had witnessed the hottest day ever!

By the time we got to the last game, we looked more like Wellington's troops on the retreat from Corunna than football fans on a Summer groundhop. Whittlesey ground is very basic, but plenty of space to enlarge, a very small stand, homemade/scaffolding type but a good group of volunteers, gave us the best food of the day, plenty of hot mugs of tea and coffee and you can see that the club has a good volunteer base. Floodights and further improvements to the ground should be started in August. The poorest football of the 3 games seen, not helped by the open ground, wind and rain - however the winning goal would have looked at home in any stadium in the UK.

The Hop - and the hoppers
Always a fun/touchy/delicate subject on this site - my first UK hop but good to put faces to names, plus guess others! Met up with those I had been to Serbia and Romania with - yes, some of those attending Sunday seemed to have strange habits - still do not understand the need to get the teams written down but can live with that, many of us are opinionated- again, that is what helps make this a great game/hobby - needing a badge or/and a programme - again, can live with that and like a programme myself but I still do not understand those who spent time and money to attend the hop and then never seemed to watch any of the games!! Now that is strange.
Hoping I have not upset too many with those brief observations and I certainly will be attending further hops in the UK, a very different animal to the smaller hops to Germany and Eastern Europe but never a less, still enjoyable.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Dribble! on Jul 29, 2019, 5:46 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 29, 2019, 7:21 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #11 of 20 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Beker van Belgie – First Round
Eendracht Zele v KVK. Ninove 0-2
Admission €7, Attendance ~150

A greyish day in Belgium but without the rain storms that had battered the previous evening. I arrived at the ground about 30 minutes before the start and find it tucked between a beer distribution depot and some newish flats.

Having paid €7 to get in, you are behind the goal and there are three steps of terracing, made up of concrete beams immediately in front of you. To your left is the club house, raised in front of the goal and a main stand with over 400 seats slightly offset from the centre line. Two newer areas of standing cover have been added with relatively fresh concrete terracing, while the three steps goes along much of the rest, in front of most of the stand and the area between the stand and the further cover.

No problem with getting the teamsheet, as these were distributed (free of charge) at the entrance to the ground.

The visitors, KVK Ninove won the Oost Vlaanderen Provincial League last season, and therefore won promotion. Although Eendracht Zele and Bambrugge tied for second place, it was the next two teams down, Eendracht Aalter and Lochristi that entered the play-offs with fifth placed Lochristi being the team eventually winning promotion to the 3rd Amateur League. Such are the oddities of a competition that awards play-off places to “period champions”, as opposed to direct league positions.

Naturally, I spent a few minutes in the club house before kick-off with a Leffe Brune at €3 being my tipple of choice. When I paid my money, the lady took the note to a machine, which generated 5 tokens. She then took these, but gave me back a €2 coin. While I have no problems with the token system for buying drinks in Belgium, saving cash at the bar, I did find this one potentially more awkward for the one-time visitor as it may not always be possible to choose the exact price of your drink.

If Zele were hoping to get some satisfaction after missing out on promotion and play-offs, it was not evident at the start of the game with Ninove having all the early play. However, they were wasteful with the chances created (and plenty were created), allowing the homesters to gradually claw their way into contention. Indeed, Eendracht were the first team to get the ball into the net – but their effort in the final minute of the first half was ruled offside.

After the break, it was much of the same with Ninove again in the ascendency. Still, there was still a number of missed chances, blocks and saves to keep the scores level until the 63rd minute with Ninove awarded a free kick at the right distance. Again, my superstition comes to the fore. I am already watching from the opposite side of the ground to where I viewed the scoreless first period and now I decline to lift the camera and take a shot. There is practically no evidence for the idea that a goal is less likely to be scored if I am taking a picture, especially at 0-0. (The reality being that the probability is always that the kick if blasted over the bar or into the wall).

Still, this time it works as the kick is curled just into the top corner. The immediate result being that every single home player starts arguing with the referee, with the goalkeeper leading the charge. I did not immediately understand the problem and needed to chat to one of the assistant referees at the end of the game for clarification. One of the visiting players had stood at the end of the defensive wall and under the new laws you cannot stand within one meter of a wall of three or more players.

Of course, a meter is not a very long distance, and the photographer for Ninove captured the moment and published it in facebook, https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

(let’s hope that link works).

The picture, taken with the ball in the air and having past the wall does not therefore show the players relative position at the time the kick was taken – but the bodies of the players are now more than a meter apart. Can’t be sure about their feet though. This is going to be great fun if and when it goes to VAR!

I had already noticed a drop ball not adhering to the new regulations and only one of the substitutions in the game resulted in the substituted player going off at the closest point (and in this case, skulking directly to the dressing rooms). The assistant referee explained that the local FA have only briefed the elite referees on the new laws so far, so this game was being played under the old laws. At the one moment it mattered, it seems the players were not aware of this!

A second goal was added on 75 minutes, and Ninove stayed well on top, hitting the post and crossbar, so I think the win was deserved.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Jul 29, 2019, 7:23 PM)

intheshire
Youth Team Regular

Jul 29, 2019, 7:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 20 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at games 1 and 2. Whittlesey was a little too far in the wrong direction especially having been up at 05:30 to see my girlfriend off for her holiday. The drive home was somewhat attritional too - although as soon as I was 30 minutes away from Irchester the weather was glorious.

I too thought Loughborough looked very decent. I hope they've got a striker coming back for term time though! Enjoyed game two a lot despite the weather. I don't think it really sunk in with that player how bad his cut was until he reached the bench, he was en route to hospital for stitches by the end of the game. I think I heard he collided with the pole supporting the net.

Last Ground (245): Brinsford Stadium, Wolverhampton Casuals
2019-20 - 31 games, 31 new grounds

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 29, 2019, 8:42 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #13 of 20 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the 3 UCL Hop games...

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...p-2019-part-two.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 29, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #14 of 20 (2470 views)
Shortcut

Whittlesey Athletic 1 Huntingdon Town 2
UCL Div 1
Feldale Field
Programmes on sale
Attendance: 340

.... but I still do not understand those who spent time and money to attend the hop and then never seemed to watch any of the games!! Now that is strange.

Don't be fooled, they know exactly what's going on. Watch them spring into action whenever, for example, there's a substitution. I reckon it's another sense - a bit like radar, sonar or that thing bats have. Wink

I was also at Whittlesey. After setting off around the M25 in glorious sunshine it started spitting around Bedford and was almost biblical around Peterborough. After a drenching at Parson Drove the previous day I was pleased the rain had abated by the time kick off arrived, and even more pleased that the pitch had coped seamlessly with the elements.

As step 6 games go I didn't think this was too bad. Whittlesey paid for not converting any of several good first half opportunities they created and, with the wind behind them after the break, Huntingdon made them pay. The winner was a long range howitzer into the roof of the net, fit to win any game.

As mentioned the ground's a work in progress. All three sides are railed with hardstanding and the far side, where the dugouts are, is just fenced off from a new housing development sprouting up in the neighbouring field. Floodlights should be up next month and I assume seats will follow sometime thereafter. Very open and exposed and, despite the scaffolding contraption serving as covered standing, I quite liked the look and feel of the place. With a couple of familiar faces to chat to (while also watching the game..), all in all a top afternoon out.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2019, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #15 of 20 (1817 views)
Shortcut

I was another at...

In Reply To

Uhlsport United Counties League, Division One –
Irchester United 3 Wellingborough Whitworth 3

Attendance 328
Admission £5

...to take in just the one hop match. And after 87 days of cold turkey, it was brilliant to get back to all the old habits I enjoy: taking long convoluted journeys on public transport, sniffing out decent pubs, embarking on long walks to the ground from a distant railway station, spending hard-earned on large quantities of badges, standing in the rain, talking nonsense to people, and ultimately watching a mighty entertaining football match. That cracking last-gasp equaliser for Whitworth was worth making the trip for alone.

The journey there and back was made slightly complicated by no trains traveling north from Bedford railway station, due to continued work to fix the overhead cables damaged in last Thursday’s record temperatures. So after arriving in Bedford on the X5 bus, this meant instead catching the Thameslink service south as far as Luton Airport Parkway for a diesel service back north for Wellingborough (and the same on the way back, too). Fortunately, I’d left home early enough to cover the extra time taken, meaning I still got to the famous Coach & Horses freehouse only shortly after opening-time. However, it’s still an illustration of the trickiness of east-west travel on public transport in this strip of the country. Roll on the reopening of the Bicester-Bletchley line!

The walk to Irchester and back was about forty-five minutes each way, even at a healthy pace, but it did offer up good views from the banks of the River Nene and the lovely greenery of Irchester Country Park (including the Irchester Narrow Gauge Railway Museum), despite the rain.

On top of that, on arriving back at Wellingborough station, there was more than enough time for a pint of Dave Dark from the Great Heck Brewery in the Little R’Ale House micropub which sits on the station platform. A lovely little tavern, but with half-a-dozen decidedly odd locals: first, a plummy-voiced bloke in a deerstalker showed off his Northamptonshire-cobbling knowledge by loudly stating that he thought Dr.Marten boots were rubbish, while everyone else present stared suspiciously at the oxblood 12-holers on my feet. Then a rather tipsy woman began a rambling complaint about the BBC that seemed to be entirely based upon the fact that she and her husband had been turned down from appearing on ‘Bargain Hunt’ due to being deemed too extrovert. Luckily, a train back to the relative sanity of Luton arrived soon after.

Turbine View
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 1, 2019, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Cromer Town, Sheringham, Norwich City, Runton Utd.

Post #16 of 20 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Left the PDL PDL hop after the Div 3 game to divert to Plymouth for the Sunday Charities day double header at Elburton Villa (a re-visit, but new pitch, so it counts) and was handsomely rewarded with
Bowl; Liskeard (2) 4 Stoke Gabriel (0) 1 Att 92
Vase Saltash (4)6 Tavistock(3) 5 Att tbc est 275ish
Excellent day lots of food available, nice small bar tea and coffee in mugs, a proper non league family day with much to be enjoyed. Entry £ 5 for both matches, free programme and league handbook from a well known forum contributor!

Have no Plan A and apply it rigidly..

LeedsPhil
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 2, 2019, 12:43 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #17 of 20 (1277 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Haven 5-3 Boat Of Garten Ospreys
Tom Hunter Memorial Highland Welfare Cup, R2 (last 16)
at Catto Park (3G cage outside Peterhead FC’s Balmoor)

We’ll see whether they play NESFA fixtures here from now on, or at Ugie, or at Barclay Park after the fun day stuff will have been removed. Next Haven home fixture is Friday – I’ll have my radar on the venue used for that one.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's back to the circuit of standard NESFA venues, therefore meaning this one had been a one-off. Friday's Haven match will be at Dales Park, whilst Ugie Park will be the venue for Peterhead United's Friday game.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Aug 2, 2019, 8:24 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #18 of 20 (1171 views)
Shortcut

Saturday 27th July - all games in the area I was in (Crook was first choice) were off due to waterlogged pitches. Height of summer? I got to Tow Law - bar was heaving so I hoped we had a game but they were drowning their sorrows after their postponement. Really friendly, great ground - checked for me that nothing else was on and suggested I stayed on...

Anyway, played it safe on Sunday with a game at a FL ground:
Pre-Season Friendly

Middlesborough 1 AS Saint-Etienne 1

admission £10-00 programme £2-00 foldout (not great) attendance 6520
last season's 7th in Championship v 4th in Ligue 1
Decent enough game in which Boro showed good spirit against technically good opponents and deserved at least a draw.
A few efforts off target early on, debutant Browne for the home team impressed, set up a chance and came close himself. Assombalonga looked lively too and had a shot blocked, while two more Boro efforts were over the bar. The visitors looked dangerous when they broke, which wasn't often, especially Bougana on the left, but they had the best chance of the first half when a header from Fofana came back off the bar. The home team came close again a couple of times before the break, HT 0-0.
Soon after the break Assombalonga was denied a clear penalty after being tripped, then forced the impressive Ruffier into a good save with a stinging shot. Browne came close again and at the other end Bougana hit the side netting. After several substitutions the visitors were given a penalty on 68 mins as sub Diony was adjudged to have been fouled in a tangle of legs with Shotton on the edge of the area - harsh. Bougana converted the spot-kick efficiently. Back came Boro and sub Wing, who had a difference to what had previously been a slightly ponderous midfield right from his introduction, equalised from a free-kick on 72 mins, finding the corner expertly. Both teams went for the win in a good finish, Assombalonga hit the post, there was a big scramble from a corner, but at the other end keeper Pears made a big save with his legs as ASSE broke down the left.
The Riverside looks quite good from the outside, I like the Ayresome Park gates and the two statues, but inside it looks like most stadia of this type, very similar to Southampton, especially with the red seats - just an extra layer on the top. Scoreboard in the corner wasn't functioning. Middlesbrough the town I found more pleasant than I had been led to believe Wink

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Aug 2, 2019, 8:25 PM)

villan
First Team Star

Aug 4, 2019, 2:16 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #19 of 20 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Whittlesey. I was disappointed with ground as I was expecting more facilities to be in place now 3 years on from their last ill fated venture into step6 in 2016 which lasted about a month into season I think. I did not visit back then & clearly they have much to do to get grading. A 3 sided ground with far side having dugouts but no spectator room as it is right up to boundary fencing with housing immediately beyond so hopefully club have planning in place for lights etc. The only current cover is standing only with open back & sides & is basically scaffolding looking very temporary. I do not know if plan is to put seats therein or import a ready built atcost type structure. Club seems friendly & I wish them well.

The game had to deal with wind & rain but pitch looked in good condition. 1st half would have worried a visitor from Preston area as neither side really threatened to much but hosts did have chances although game was fairly even. 2 goals in a minute livened matters midway in 2nd period but parity was maintained & as stated previously the winner on 85 from visitors was a screamer into roof of net from circa 25 yards. A good afternoon meeting a lot of old friends added to enjoyment. Disappointed not to spot others including Paulh66.

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 26

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 4, 2019, 6:25 PM

Post #20 of 20 (1020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [villan] Sunday 28th July 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cullen 5 Burghead United 2
Highland Welfare Cup.2nd Round.

A comfortable win for Cullen after going a goal behind against a team who had just the eleven players and no subs.
Cullen play at Logie Park which is adjacent to the caravan park at the top of the village.Basically just a pitch but there is a grass bank on the far side which provides a decent view with the sea in the background.The village of Cullen is worth spending sometime walking around with a wonderful old railway bridge plus an old harbour to discover as well.

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3