derekn
First Team Star / Moderator

Jul 28, 2019, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #1 of 14 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Round One
There are 10 groups of either 5 or 6 teams who will play each other once.
3 points for a win, 2 points for a winning draw, 1 point for a losing draw.
There is no extra time, drawn games go straight to penalties.
Group 1
AFC Sudbury
Bury Town
Coggeshall Town
Felixstowe & Walton United
Heybridge Swifts
Maldon & Tiptree
Group 2
Aveley
Barking
Brentwood Town
Grays Athletic
Romford
Waltham Abbey
Group 3
Basildon United
Canvey Island
Great Wakering Rovers
Hullbridge Sports
Tilbury
Witham Town
Group 4
Bracknell Town
Chalfont St Peter
FC Romania
Hanwell Town
Marlow
Westfield
Group 5
Cambridge City
Harlow Town
Hertford Town
Histon
Soham Town Rangers
Ware
Group 6
Ashford United
Faversham Town
Herne Bay
Hythe Town
Ramsgate
Whitstable Town
Group 7
Burgess Hill Town
Chichester City
East Grinstead Town
Hastings United
Haywards Heath Town
Three Bridges
Group 8
Ashford Town (Mx)
Bedfont Sports
Northwood
Staines Town
Uxbridge
Group 9
Cray Valley PM
Phoenix Sports
Sevenoaks Town
Sittingbourne
VCD Athletic
Group 10
Chertsey Town
Chipstead
South Park
Tooting & Mitcham United
Whyteleafe

Fixture dates are weeks beginning 2/9/19, 22/9/19, 7/10/19, 21/10/19 and 4/11/19. All games must be complete by 22/11/19.
Dereham Town, Guernsey and Whitehawk do not appear to be taking part, hence the 3 groups with only 5 teams.

(This post was edited by derekn on Jul 28, 2019, 11:20 PM)

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2019, 8:44 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 14 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was it 3 years ago the clubs voted for smaller divisions as midweek attendances were awful? Then they come up with this nonsense, 2 more league games would be a lot better than this crap, I’d imagine most of the clubs crowds will be so low they’ll end up losing money.
Out of interest, what constitutes a losing / winning draw? Works in Cricket when one team has more overs than the other one, but can’t see how it works in Football.
Did I also read somewhere that the M Mouse competition will be allowing FIVE subs?
I would go on the league website for more info, but I’m worried I’d become addicted to gambling.

FCUtdWill
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 30, 2019, 8:55 AM

Team(s): Huddersfield Town, Gibraltar

Post #3 of 14 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Was it 3 years ago the clubs voted for smaller divisions as midweek attendances were awful? Then they come up with this nonsense, 2 more league games would be a lot better than this crap, I’d imagine most of the clubs crowds will be so low they’ll end up losing money.
Out of interest, what constitutes a losing / winning draw? Works in Cricket when one team has more overs than the other one, but can’t see how it works in Football.
Did I also read somewhere that the M Mouse competition will be allowing FIVE subs?
I would go on the league website for more info, but I’m worried I’d become addicted to gambling.

Whether you win on penalties or not, happens in the EFL Trophy and Scottish League Cup to name a couple.

http://www.englishfootballdatabase.weebly.com

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2019, 9:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 14 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FCUtdWill] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that, I'd never come across winning draw before, but I don't take any notice of M Mouse cups.

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 30, 2019, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #5 of 14 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Clubs did indeed vote for smaller divisions and then last season, when they had spare midweeks, they set about arranging lots of friendlies. Midweek friendlies were a rarity before last season, but in 18/19 they became quite common.

So it wasn't smaller divisions they really wanted. They just wanted more local matches. Not the same thing.

So these cup games will take the place of those friendlies for many clubs as most of these games are quite local. Better to have something meaningful than a friendly, even if it doesn't mean much.

HarryC
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2019, 1:34 PM

Team(s): Fleet, Aldershot, Chelsea

Post #6 of 14 (2178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The 10 group winners will join the 22 premier division sides in the knock out part of the competition

Dingo
Junior Team Star

Jul 30, 2019, 5:07 PM

Post #7 of 14 (2110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Clubs did indeed vote for smaller divisions and then last season, when they had spare midweeks, they set about arranging lots of friendlies. Midweek friendlies were a rarity before last season, but in 18/19 they became quite common.

So it wasn't smaller divisions they really wanted. They just wanted more local matches. Not the same thing.

So these cup games will take the place of those friendlies for many clubs as most of these games are quite local. Better to have something meaningful than a friendly, even if it doesn't mean much.

Very interesting.....makes sense.

(This post was edited by Dingo on Jul 30, 2019, 5:08 PM)

Geoff
First Team Sub

Jul 31, 2019, 9:53 AM

Post #8 of 14 (2038 views)
Shortcut

I seem to remember the South Midlands League used this points system in their league cup in the dim & distant past.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 10, 2019, 12:14 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #9 of 14 (1780 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Did they vote for less games? 57/60 entering this suggests that a lot of them didn't, and the 20-team divisions were pushed at them to help 1-2-4-8 happen.
My only real issue with this format - as clearly the clubs want it - is that with only one side going through from a five team group there are going to be a lot of dead games. Maybe the ten runners-up should play an additional round against the Premier Division sides who were promoted last year and the sides who finished lowest without being relegated.

Dingo
Junior Team Star

Aug 10, 2019, 2:13 PM

Post #10 of 14 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My only real issue with this format - as clearly the clubs want it - is that with only one side going through from a five team group there are going to be a lot of dead games. Maybe the ten runners-up should play an additional round against the Premier Division sides who were promoted last year and the sides who finished lowest without being relegated.

In Reply To

What a good idea.

Too late for this season,but definitely worth a discussion for next.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 22, 2019, 8:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 14 (1527 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dingo] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now I never expected the fixture secretary to go through every teams fixtures, but surely he could have politely requested any team with sensible suggestions. I'm sure Felixstowe and Maldon would have pointed out that as we're already playing each other on the 21st and 28th September, please don't put us together on the midweek in between, sadly they didn't ask. What sort of crowd will turn up for this? Not even a local game, speaking to our supporters, they will only go to these Mickey Mouse squad members cup games if season ticket holders are allowed in for nothing, so I fully expect this to be a loss making competition for most of the clubs involved.

21/9 Maldon V Felixstowe. League
24/9 Maldon V Felixstowe Mickey Mouse squad members cup
28/9 Felixstowe V Maldon. F.A. Trophy

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 2, 2019, 10:26 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #12 of 14 (1209 views)
Shortcut

As the isthmian league fixture secretary didn't notice that cheshunt and Cray had 2 games on August 24, I think you're a bit hopeful. And possibly a bit naive to think he's going to look at the games either side of 165 league cup ties. Can the clubs not mutually agree to move the game?
I do note that maldon have entered the Tolleshunt D’Arcy Memorial Cup , so clearly the club like a midweek cup game

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 10, 2019, 10:14 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 14 (350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Isthmian League Velocity Trophy 2019-20 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So the clubs were moaning about lack of midweek fixtures, they’ve certainly appear to have given this thing the big thumbs down. Felixstowe switched one game to a Saturday when both clubs were knocked out of the FA Cup, now Coggeshall have given up midweek home advantage and asked if they could get this competition out of the way by switching their game against Felixstowe to our place this Saturday.
I think when the club’s said they wanted more midweek fixtures, I assume they meant “meaningful” fixtures and put the divisions back to 22.

derekn
First Team Star / Moderator

Oct 11, 2019, 4:22 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #14 of 14 (199 views)
Shortcut

Up to date results and fixtures added
Attachments: Isthmian Velocity Cup.xlsx (15.0 KB)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3