19th century hopping?

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 30, 2019, 8:21 AM

Team(s): Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #1 of 7 (481 views)
Shortcut
19th century hopping? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading a charity shop find "Cricket - a Social History 1700-1835' by John Ford from 1972, on pp 91/92 I read the following

"John Bentley, brother of the famous umpire, won 29 hopping matches at Lord's. He beat the best hoppers in England until 1818 when he was beaten by the Hopping Doll Maker from Yorkshire"

This is a serious work, not published on April 1 - so can anyone enlighten me/us on what hopping matches were, why and how they would take place on a cricket ground..and any info on the Hopping Doll Maker from Yorkshire - surely one of the great sporting sobriquets - would be greatly relished.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2019, 11:41 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #2 of 7 (451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 19th century hopping? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If I have dredged this up correctly from the dark recesses of my brain, hopping matches were, like many 19th century sports, big gambling events. The aim was to cover as much distance as possible in a set number of hops (50 for example), rather like an extended triple jump.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 30, 2019, 12:51 PM

Post #3 of 7 (426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] 19th century hopping? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that.

Given that the sub-text of the chapter was gambling and sundry activities linked to early 19th century cricket what you describe would fit nicely.

Still would love info on the Hopping Doll Maker!!

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 30, 2019, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #4 of 7 (404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] 19th century hopping? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought hopping was just a story line from Ripping Yarn's - Tomkinson's Schooldays but now I discover that it was based on real events.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Jul 30, 2019, 1:55 PM

Post #5 of 7 (399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] 19th century hopping? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Perhaps it could be revived as a half-time entertainment at one of the Easter 'hopping weekends?

All line up on half way and the first to the dead ball line wins?

I'm sure there'd be some PR mileage in coverage of 'hoppers hopping

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 30, 2019, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #6 of 7 (345 views)
Shortcut

Could be a useful tiebreaker to decide who gets the last programme. It'd be competitive..

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 30, 2019, 10:52 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #7 of 7 (255 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Perhaps it could be revived as a half-time entertainment at one of the Easter 'hopping weekends?

All line up on half way and the first to the dead ball line wins?

I'm sure there'd be some PR mileage in coverage of 'hoppers hopping

I assume you weren't there when this DID occur back in an early Northern League hop.
Toe-curling in the extreme as I recall..........

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3