Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Random medal to indentify

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 12:22 PM

Post #1 of 16 (970 views)
Shortcut
Random medal to indentify Can't Post or

Some time ago my other half found a medal at a car boot sale and it has resurfaced during a house move and is intriguing so here goes.
I don't have the techy to take a picture and download but it is a small silver ornate engraved medal with a thin blue circle with a footballer inside and a clasp for adding to a chain. The top says N P and D Hospital Charity Cup and on the reverse is engraved R and H OB, C Ryder Winners 1926-27.
The small card box it came in says H Payne Jeweller and optician Parkfield Parade, South Harrow.
Anyone any theories on this one? Cheers

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 16, 2019, 6:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 16 (880 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northwood, Pinner & District Hospital?

Roxeth Manor Old Boys?

Roxonian F.C. became Harrow Town, now Harrow Borough

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Aug 16, 2019, 6:29 PM)

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 6:50 PM

Post #3 of 16 (866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or

Many thanks. My friend Stephen Farmery came up with the same theory and I'm in the process of emailing Middx FA to see if they have any information. Next step would be the local papers which is more tricky but if the match report can be found it might lead me to Mr C Ryder of R and H Old Boys. Indeed I might even lose the plot entirely and follow it through and try and find a family member to give it to.
Then again ..........

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 7:52 PM

Post #4 of 16 (835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Northwood & Pinner Hospital Cup Final was played on Easter Monday 1927 (18 April) at the Recreation Ground between Harefield Juniors and Roxeth Old Boys. The Uxbridge & West Drayton Gazette states that there were 1,500 spectators and Roxeth won 4-3.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 8:48 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #5 of 16 (814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Presumably the R and H OB stands for Roxeth and Harrow Old Boys then although the newspaper does not give that full title.
Roxeth was a hamlet in the Borough of Harrow. One history I have seen suggests Roxonian FC from which Harrow Borough FC derives was founded in 1933.

krffji
Youth Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #6 of 16 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although that one doesn't mention the team sthere are a couple of match reports during 1926-27 with line ups for Roxeth & Harrow Old Boys. C Ryder is the goalkeeper.

One is reported 24 September 1926, the held over 1926 Middlesex Junior Charity Cup Final played 22 September at Wealdstone, drawn and the trophy shared with Hanwell Town Reserves.

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor since 2001.
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor since 2008.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 9:58 PM

Post #7 of 16 (793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krffji] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or

Superb stuff gents and I really have got to get my stuff together and join the newspaper library on line when funds allow it.
Now I am on the warpath for ace keeper C Ryder via find my past.co.uk

I love this stuff
Thanks again

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Aug 16, 2019, 10:22 PM

Post #8 of 16 (784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or

OK According to the census there are two candidates, both called Charles Ryder, one living in Harrow on the Hill and one in Willesden. I have emailed Middlesex FA but you gents and gentesses have already solved the clues althouigh which Recreation Ground would that have been played at? Gogle states there is a Roxeth Recreation Ground but being Northwood and Pinner would it nothave been the latter?
I have also made contact with the Middlesex non league site and Facebook's South Harrow memories to see if we can dredge any miracles

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 6:38 AM

Post #9 of 16 (719 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
OK According to the census there are two candidates, both called Charles Ryder, one living in Harrow on the Hill and one in Willesden. I have emailed Middlesex FA but you gents and gentesses have already solved the clues althouigh which Recreation Ground would that have been played at? Gogle states there is a Roxeth Recreation Ground but being Northwood and Pinner would it nothave been the latter?
I have also made contact with the Middlesex non league site and Facebook's South Harrow memories to see if we can dredge any miracles

One Charles Ryder was the middle son of Ernest Ryder, who passed away in October 1913. Ernest worked for the Gas Board and lived at 7 Valentine Cottages. Charles also had two sisters. Charles had a younger brother called Thomas.

A report on Roxeth Old Boys annual dinner in February 1926 refers to a T Ryder. The eldest brother was Ernest Ryder; a player of that name played for Wealdstone in the 1920s.

There are also reports that a Ryder was in goal for Roxeth as early as 1920. However, there appear to be lots of Ryder's in the area, some of whom, with different initials played other sports, including cricket.

Roxeth & Harrow Old Boys played their home matches in the 1920s at the Roxeth Recreation Ground.

Roxeth Recreation Ground is located south of Northolt Road in South Harrow with entrances off Kingsley Road. The park provides nearly 7 hectares of open space with football, bowls and cricket facilities and includes :
2 senior football pitches
1 junior football pitch
1 cricket square

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 17, 2019, 8:28 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 16 (695 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Superb stuff gents and I really have got to get my stuff together and join the newspaper library on line when funds allow it.

I love this stuff
Thanks again

BNA is currently offering 30% off an annual subscription.

Code BNA30SUMMER

krffji
Youth Team Star

Aug 17, 2019, 8:30 AM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #11 of 16 (690 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I love this stuff
Thanks again

I was using the FMP version of the newspaper archive. I don't have a BNA subscription

Currently researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor since 2001.
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor since 2008.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 17, 2019, 9:08 AM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 16 (679 views)
Shortcut

Long shot - might C (Ryder) on medal be a flowery E?
Sometimes they were engraved in such a way
Impossible to say without seeing it though

Ropemaker

Aug 17, 2019, 10:21 AM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #13 of 16 (665 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
which Recreation Ground would that have been played at? Gogle states there is a Roxeth Recreation Ground but being Northwood and Pinner would it not have been the latter?

According to the report in the Uxbridge & W Drayton Gazette of the SF between Roxeth + HOB and Chorleywood Common (result 2-1), the final was to be played at Northwood Recreation Ground on Easter Monday 1927

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

(This post was edited by Ropemaker on Aug 17, 2019, 10:59 AM)

PaulC

Aug 17, 2019, 8:44 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #14 of 16 (605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Uxbridge and W Drayton Gazette, 22/4/27

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 18, 2019, 12:53 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #15 of 16 (537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

92 then would be something like 5,700 today.Laugh

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 9:09 PM

Post #16 of 16 (367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Random medal to indentify [In reply to] Can't Post or

Thanks again all

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3