Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Substitutions

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Aug 21, 2019, 12:28 AM

Post #1 of 12 (2069 views)
Shortcut
Substitutions Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone tell me what the new rules on substitutions are for this season; and at what level or levels do they apply.

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 21, 2019, 8:58 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 12 (1885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Substitutions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The only change in the laws on substitutions is that players must leave the field at the nearest point, unless directed otherwise by the referee. In the game I went to at the weekend, it appeared that the direction from the referee was a default and all players still left at the centre line.

Rules as to the number of substitutes, and returning substitutes are down to individual FAs and competitions. (Hence I have worded this as rules, not laws).

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Aug 21, 2019, 10:43 AM

Post #3 of 12 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Substitutions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you, Leo. At the match I was at last night which was in the Ceredigion League there were ten substitutions; four for the home team and six for the away.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 21, 2019, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #4 of 12 (1556 views)
Shortcut

Can a player be booked for not exiting the field of play at the nearest point, ie walking from one side of the pitch to the other? If they can then what is the rule if that is the players second caution and he is shown a red card? I am guessing that the substitution with that player can't take place.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

Yellowcoat
Junior Team Regular

Aug 21, 2019, 6:56 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Substitutions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw a recent match at Wealdstone where a player got a yellow card for exiting the pitch the old way. By the time the referee caught up with him he was three quarters off the pitch anyway but the ref tried to get him to go all the way back again. He booked him when he refused.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 21, 2019, 7:15 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1354 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thank you, Leo. At the match I was at last night which was in the Ceredigion League there were ten substitutions; four for the home team and six for the away.

Are those for different players, or repeat substitutions?

One of the teams down here has got the repeats subs to a fine art, I'm sure they make nearly twenty during the second half almost every game.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Aug 21, 2019, 8:35 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #7 of 12 (1284 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Can a player be booked for not exiting the field of play at the nearest point, ie walking from one side of the pitch to the other? If they can then what is the rule if that is the players second caution and he is shown a red card? I am guessing that the substitution with that player can't take place.

Presumably the offence can be "delaying the restart of play", and can be booked. If they are given a 2nd yellow before the sub happens, then he cannot be replaced.

Wijit99
Junior Team Star

Aug 21, 2019, 10:48 PM

Post #8 of 12 (1150 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Previously you could get booked if the referee deemed you were excessively time wasting when leaving the pitch. With any player being sent off due to a second yellow then being treated like any other dismissal and not being able to be replaced.

There is however, a weird contradiction in the rules as the referee cannot force a player to be substituted. You may remember the cup final not long ago when the Chelsea keeper refused to go off. It can be a fine line if the referee then decides that the players refusal to go off is an attempt to waste time.

Repoman
Junior Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 10:47 AM

Post #9 of 12 (933 views)
Shortcut

The Velocity Trophy (Isthmian League Cup) is allowing teams to use all five named substitutes this season.

Dingo
Junior Team Star

Aug 22, 2019, 9:39 PM

Post #10 of 12 (731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Repoman] Substitutions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Velocity Trophy (Isthmian League Cup) is allowing teams to use all five named substitutes this season.

The more I think about this,the more disappointed I am.

Its the drip,drip,drip effect.
Slowly but surely football is going towards allowing 10 subs in a match,or even unlimited subs.

I was watching the Ice Hockey World Championships (with an Ice Hockey nut) a few months ago,and I never knew who was doing what because the players were regularly changing.
I gave up on it in the end.

dseagull
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 22, 2019, 10:59 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town, Spurs, Brighton

Post #11 of 12 (687 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dingo] Substitutions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saw this in action for the first time last night at our Under 23 game. As could probably be expected, rather futile when rolling subs are in operation anyway in the U23 league.

One Peacehaven player went off on the other side of the pitch, climbed under the barrier and walked around - meanwhile two of his teammates, who were also being replaced, both went over to the dugouts as usual.

Despite multiple changes for both sides, it was only enforced the once too.

Check out the Hailsham Town website at http://www.hailshamtownfc.org.uk

You can also follow The Stringers on Twitter; http://twitter.com/hailshamtownfc/

pitch 63
First Team Star

Aug 23, 2019, 2:39 PM

Post #12 of 12 (524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dseagull] Substitutions [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was at a game in Wales last night when the player being substituted came off on the far side of the ground and started his walk around the pitch.

The game restarted and the ball was kicked down the wing beside him and the referee immediately blew for offside not realising that he was the player substituted.

This decision was not helped by the FAW ruling that linesmen have to remain standing on the halfway line, and thus not stay level with play and only indicate that the ball is in or out of play for throw-ins, which in my opinion is crass.

The referee only runs up and down the centre of the pitch from one penalty area to another. A goal was "scored" when the referee said the ball entered the goal, when to most spectators it appeared not to go into the net; a linesman running up and down the line would have had a much better view of whether it did or did not go over the line.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3