First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 5:51 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #1 of 63 (5983 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 24th August 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League

Eastleigh 1 Dag and Red 1

admission S/T, otherwise £15, programme £2-00, attendance 1631 (96 away)
21st v 15th
A game of two halves here on a warm day as the visitors took the lead and looked comfortable in the first half, only for the home team to grab a quick equaliser as they improved greatly after the break. A draw was a fair result.
The Spitifres started well enough and Miley curled an early shot into the keeper's arms. The visitors then had a free-kick for an alleged backpass, the ball was played back to McQueen, but he blazed over. The visitors took the lead on 15 mins; the ball was crossed in from the right and Luque showed superb movement to meet the ball at the far post for a tap in - three defenders, however, showed no movement at all. The home team came back with a long ball out to Green on the left and his superb first-time cross from the left was disappointingly prodded wide by Williamson. The home team then struggled to take the game to their opponents, who could have increased their lead from a scramble after an error by Payne in his own box, just cleared, and also by a couple of headers by Grant, both off target when well-placed. HT 0-1.
There was a quick goal for the home team after the break - a good cross by Green was only cleared to Barnett who drilled the ball past keeper and defender - the first goal scored from open play, not by an Eastleigh defender, and not in the 13th minute, this season. Barnett, the man of the second half, then won the ball in the area but his cross found no takers. He then showed good skill to beat a defender but his shot was blocked. He then headed just wide from a corner as Eastleigh put on the pressure. But the visitors held firm and in the last 15 mins came again; a good Balanta cross missed everyone, then Grant's header was just wide. At the other end that man Barnett chased a lost cause, forced an error from Croll, but Justham tipped his flick over the bar well. A corner then came to McKnight, whose sliced shot found Atkinson, who headed against the bar. Right at the end sub Quigley tried to win it for the visitors, but his shot was saved by Stryjek.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Aug 24, 2019, 8:43 PM)

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2019, 6:34 PM

Post #2 of 63 (5935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dunbar 1 Linlihgow Rose 2
East of Scotland League
Admission £6 Prog £1.50
attendance c 400

Still working north of the border and luckily these were home as second call of the day was in the town
an early start meant I had an hour plus to walk the attractive town down to the harbours and then follow sat nav to a dirt track into a field. it was needed to check the address and then drive another mile and a half almost past the house I had been earlier
The ground is basic, there is a clubhouse which is either a general sports club or belongs to the RU and that sport was certainly the centre of TV attention today but inside only a small amount of cover but there is tea bar also selling pies and the ground is fully enclosed
visitors were top of the table and slightly the better

adji
Reserve Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 6:44 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #3 of 63 (5913 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland League 2

Knowle 6 Fairfield Villa 1 ATT - 25

Rampant Knowle destroyed the visitors with a confidant display. Nice little ground aswell , basic but tidy

on the blog at

https://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 24, 2019, 7:09 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 63 (5864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FAC.
Winterton Rangers 0 Kirby Muxloe I
Add £5
Prog £2 (excellent)
Att
Fosters £3.20
Up to this one with GTV and former poster Castle for a cracking day out in glorious sunshine. Kirby were just about worth the win although with the goal being scored just after the break I missed it still being stuck in the bar with many old friends. Ground /welcome absolutely top notch which is the norm with NCEL clubs and although I'm spending time watching Hinckley clubs these days I would welcome another away day with KM in the next round.

paulh66

Aug 24, 2019, 7:19 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 63 (5842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hellenic 2 South
Taplow United 1-1 Hazlemere Sports
I counted 8 in attendance
No admission charge or programme

A game understandably low on quality but commendably high on endeavour on such a scorching afternoon that my iPad shut down with an on-screen message telling me it was too hot to use!

Pleasant setting and two teams having a go made for a decent enough afternoon's entertainment. I thought Taplow looked marginally better and they took the lead in the 80th minute, a Hazlemere defender inexplicably ignoring his keeper's calls to nod a bouncing ball back to him before the two collided, leaving the Taplow lad with an open goal. Equaliser came from a goalmouth scramble in injury time and, seconds later, the visitors missed a glorious chance to grab an unlikely win.

Taplow is a village off the main A4 between Slough and Maidenhead. Access to the car park and ground is a few yards up Berry Hill, just off the A4 by the Miller & Carter pub. The ground is behind the pub and virtually adjacent to the main line from Paddington. It's basic - just a railed-off pitch with a pair of dugouts and a couple of advertising banners, situated in the corner of a multi-pitch field, so naturally enclosed on two and a half sides. There's a bar upstairs in the changing room block but I think it only opened after the game so didn't investigate.

DesselSportFan
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2019, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Oxford U,Dessel Sport, local N. Devon non-league

Post #6 of 63 (5821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Devon League N. and E.

BRAUNTON 0 (0) v HEAVITREE UTD 3 (1)
adm. £2 inc. basic prog. att. h/c 33

Braunton's first home game at the highest level they have ever played in was a bit of a damp squib as far as they were concerned. They managed to avoid a single shot on target during the whole game and were well beaten by a well organised Heavitree. They have a quick chance to improve as they host Topsham on Monday.

No changes since my last visit to Lobb . A word of warning...avoid Braunton on a bank holiday weekend - it gets snided with surfing dudes heading to the coast. I caught a bus earlier than I normally would but still only arrived at the ground with 5 mins to spare.

(This post was edited by DesselSportFan on Aug 24, 2019, 7:31 PM)

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #7 of 63 (5820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FC Clacton 1-1 Witham Town (HT: 1-1)
FA Cup Preliminary Round
Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division (Step 5) v Bet Victor Isthmian League North Division (Step 4)
Admission: £7
Programme: £1:20 (a good effort)
Attendance: 144

Played in very hot, sunny, conditions probably like most other games.
A poor performance from Witham this afternoon and if Clacton could finish they could easily have had five and that’s not an exaggeration.
There were a couple of contentious issues for Town with players being fouled when through on goal that either saw just a yellow or no foul given, but, blaming the officials couldn’t hide what was a poor showing over the whole ninety minutes.
Town were lucky to get away with a draw and hopefully we will improve in the replay.

The magic of the FA Cup I suppose.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Aug 24, 2019, 7:39 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #8 of 63 (5794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gwent League. First two hop games today.

Coed Eva 4 v 3 Newport Saints

New Inn 2 v 2 Rhymney

Both grounds had railed pitches and both produced entertaining football in front of a couple of hundred spectators. Good to chat with some familiar faces and meet GCNC for the first time. Really warm day with many seeking shelter in the shade of the trees.

Several scribes in attendance who will no doubt file full match reports in due course.

noprogs
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 7:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 63 (5761 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Takeley 3 White Ensign 3
FA Cup, Admission £7, Inc programme

Not my original choice that being Bowers & Pitsea, but with the A14 behaving badly, and the M11 not clever, I decided to bale out with time to spare rather than risk further stress.
For the first hour this was fully justified, Takeley twice leading by the break, but the visitors had scored twice and been levelled by the hour mark.
The game degenerated after that though with much niggling and arguments.
Nice ground too with lots of fairly recent improvements.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Aug 24, 2019, 9:37 PM)

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Aug 24, 2019, 8:06 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #10 of 63 (5697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SCHEVENINGEN VS (0) 0 KATWIJK (1) 2 Dutch Tweede Divisie.Admission 6 Euros concessions.No programme.Free team sheet and year book.Att; 855. Travelled about 90 miles from Helmond to the seaside town of Scheveningen.The usual type of ground for this division.Main stand and about 4 rows of terrace behind one goal and along one touchline.Plenty of outside pitches and large clubhouse.The visitors dominated the game with a goal in each half.Spent some time at a crowded beach after the game then made our way to our hotel in Rijswijk.Tomorrow we off to Belgium for a Belgium cup tie.

(This post was edited by hotchkiss on Aug 24, 2019, 8:07 PM)

Cleeve
Youth Team Regular

Aug 24, 2019, 8:06 PM

Post #11 of 63 (5695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier Football League - Senior Division
Hayling United v Lyndhurst 6-1 (ht 3-1)
Venue: 3G Pitch, Park Community School, Middle Park Way, Havant; kickoff 1500hrs
Entry: Free, no programme
Attendance: h/c 25

Hayling played here two weeks ago and are playing at a nearby school on bank holiday Monday. After that they are meant to be back at Hayling College. But they'd probably be happy to stay here with this win giving them an aggregate of 10-1 in two games.

I parked in the school car park and entered the school through reception. Nobody was around so I wandered through the corridors until I found some toilets that were open and the changing rooms. It transpired that they had their own exit doors to the sports field, so I continued to wander until I eventually found another exit though the (closed) cafe area. On the far side of the sports field is the 3g cage which, although on the other side of the school from the car park, is also adjacent to the road (i.e. a very long way to go to retrieve a ball kicked over that side of the cage). The cage has floodlights but there is no specific spectator viewing area inside the cage, although everyone watched from inside anyway.

Both teams started the season well but quickly dropped away, so this game was difficult to call. Lyndhurst found themselves three down inside quarter of an hour, possibly struggling to adapt to the very narrow pitch which meant it was a very crowded outfield and resulted in a proliferation of shots on target. They slowly aclimatised and pulled one back just before halftime. The second half was pretty even in terms of possession, but once Hayling scored again after 58 minutes they dominated in terms of goal chances. Two further home goals in the last ten minutes bookended a comprehensive win.

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Aug 24, 2019, 8:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 63 (5680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lytham Town 4-3 Southport Hesketh....West Lancs Prem...F&N...Cuppa £1...Lager/Beer £2...3 Bottles of Budweiser for £5.

Took the dozen or so miles drive South to Warton curving inlands slightly to avoid Blackpool. The ground already covered recently is at the Western end of the runway at BAE Warton close to the River Ribble.

No flight activity today from Warton but their cricket team were hard at it on the adjacent pitch, inside the sports compound, with ample parking.

Theres a building hosting the changing rooms, refreshments and a toilet, so all the basics catered for. Speaking to the gent behind the refreshment counter, they expect to see out the season here whilst a Clubhouse is built on their regular home ground. By all accounts the League werent totally happy with them opting to play here as it's doesn't fully comply with some of the League rules. Getting the ball back from the secure BAE site, also involves phoning them up for Security to return it.

The game kicked off on a sunny warm afternoon but with a welcome breeze. Southport were 0-1 up in 5 minutes not what I was expecting having checked out the League Table. In fairness Southport were posing more questions of Lytham and went 0-2 up on 27 minutes just before the water break. As half time was upon us, Lytham pulled a goal back through a wickedly deflected free kick.... 1-2 at the break.

A minute after the restart, Lythams task was made harder when Southport's No9 made the most of the conditions and scored direct from a corner. With 88 minutes on the clock, Southport remained 1-3 up. The ref awarded Lytham a penalty a minute later for a clumsy challenge...the penalty was despatched by Ross Ainsworth for his second of the day to make it 2-3.
In the second minute of stoppage time, a header from Danny Scarlett flew passed the keeper to level the game 3-3. A minute later Ross Ainsworth completed his hat-trick from 6 yards, to give Lytham an unexpected lead. At the final whistle it was points to Lytham, something I didn't see happening 5 minutes earlier.

Decent entertainment and another new ground visited.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 24, 2019, 8:14 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #13 of 63 (5665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Gwent League. First two hop games today.

Coed Eva 4 v 3 Newport Saints

New Inn 2 v 2 Rhymney

Both grounds had railed pitches and both produced entertaining football in front of a couple of hundred spectators. Good to chat with some familiar faces and meet GCNC for the first time. Really warm day with many seeking shelter in the shade of the trees.

Several scribes in attendance who will no doubt file full match reports in due course.

Yes, at these two also. Good to meet you too Dave, also to put faces to a few more posters on here, catch up with old friends and have the Hop in my home village. Glad too, that the sun shone and there were a few goals to cheer.

Sm1d
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 24, 2019, 8:24 PM

Team(s): Heed & Toon

Post #14 of 63 (5625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newcastle Blue Star 3-2 New Fordley
Northern Alliance Prenier Division
Admission & Programme £2
Att.232 (record)

This and other Alliance grounds at Rothbury and Seaton Sluice which I've been to over the last week are on my latest blog...

https://100groundsclub.blogspot.com/...und-alliance-23.html

http://100groundsclub.blogspot.co.uk

#HeedHopper

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 8:37 PM

Post #15 of 63 (5579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 24 August 2019
East Midlands Counties League
Radford FC 5 Clipstone 1
Admission £5
Programme £1 (decent issue)
Badge £3.50.
Attendance approx 40
Pint Hanson & Hardy's Mild £3
Coffee £1
Cons £1.50

Decided even though I have a pass for Hull City that on occasions this season I would have a rest away from all the shenagins at the KC stadium.
As myself and the wife were in the area a nice easy fixture for Me was a game at Radford FC.
Easily done by tram from Nottingham station and a short stroll to the ground.

Quite a tidy ground tucked away from all the shops and houses with a small covered stand behind one goal and two small covered standing areas.

It was a very warm afternoon so took shade under the stand

Clipstone started brightly but couldn't finish and Radford came back into the game and took a first half lead.

At halftime had a browse in the little programme seemed full of non league goodies but I was good and didn't succumb to the temptation.

In the 2nd half Radford ran riot and went 5-0 up with a couple of beauties before a deserved consolation from Clipstone for their first half efforts.

A very regular tram soon had me back at the railway station prior to meeting up with the wife in Derby.

Glad I took the plunge and missed another hull defeat.

New Grounds 2019/20 :20
Total Games :28
Total Goals : 86
Av Goals Per Game : 3.10
Last new Ground: 19/10/19 FC Wohlen 2 Zug 94 0
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1007 Liskeard

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2019, 8:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 63 (5571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sm1d] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

AFC Sudbury 2-1 Felixstowe
FA Cup
Adm £10/7, online prog
Att, 201, looked more than the 242 Tuesday, but I never bothered to count.

Fair result in the end. Sudbury raced into a 2 goal within 15 minutes and threatened to run away with it, but Felixstowe gradually got back into it. Felixstowe reduced the arrears with a pen early in the 2nd half, Sudbury should have then finished it off with a pen soon afterwards, but it was well saved. Most of the chances for both sides came from mistakes as both sides wilted on a hot afternoon. But there were no real scares for the home defence.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 9:24 PM

Post #17 of 63 (5402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coed Eva Athletic 4 Newport Saints 3

The Birches: Auto Centres Gwent Premier League First Division

The opening venue of today’s proceedings was just a short walk from Cwmbran town centre, although the ground seemed a million miles from the commercial hub, as it was set in a quiet park area bordered by trees at the one end of the playing area. The pitch itself was fully-railed but there were no other spectator facilities to speak of however. The First Division was also commencing its fixtures this weekend, with the hosts having finished been promoted to the middle tier after finishing runners-up last season, whilst Newport Saints also came up from what is now the Second Division after finishing a single point clear of today's hosts. The visitors opened the scoring courtesy of a header from a fourth minute corner before Coed Eva Athletic found themselves back on level terms four minutes later via a deflected shot. The Saints regained their lead virtually straight from the restart after breaking quickly down the right wing. The hosts equalised in the 36th minute when the visiting custodian took too long over a clearance and was closed down by an opponent before having to pick the ball out of his net. The Newport men went ahead five minutes after the interval when a corner on the right was met with an overhead kick at the far post. Coed Eva Athletic were level in the 62nd minute courtesy of a crisp 25 yard free-kick and then went in front two minutes later with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area that untimately sealed all three points for the home team.

New Inn 2 Rhymney 2

Woodfield Road: Auto Centres Gwent Premier League First Division

The second match of the day took place a short distance away, a few miles north of Cwmbran and on the outskirts of Pontypool, whilst being conveniently placed for visitors arriving at Pontypool and New Inn railway station. Woodfield Road, as with the previous venue, was fully-railed but did not possess and spectator cover but there was much more shade provided by the line of trees down the one side of the playing area. There was less of a rural feel, however, due to the amount of housing located around the playing area but still akin to a village green. New Inn had finished in fourth place last season and Rhymney found themselves just below the halfway point in the First Division. It was the visitors that broke the deadlock after only two minutes when a free kick on the left edge of the penalty area was met with a header that nestled into the far corner of the net. New Inn eventually levelled the scores when the ball was forced over the goal line from close range after the Rhymney defence failed to deal with a 30th minute cornet. The away team scored early in the second-half when a cross from the right flank was met with a sublime volley at the far post. New Inn gained a share of the spoils with three minutes remaining on the clock, as they toiled away on a warm afternoon, when a long throw into the Rhymney penalty area was met with a header that beat the visiting goalkeeper.

Newport Corinthians 2 AC Pontymister 3

Coronation Park: Auto Centres Gwent Premier League Premier Division

The final match of the day took place on the opposite side of the River Usk from the final fixture on the Saturday of last year’s Welsh hop at Pill YMCA. A theme was developing with the grounds that were being visited today, as Coronation Park once again lacked any significant spectator facilities, but was located below the nearby Newport Transporter bridge. However, there was a small clubhouse on-site, which also housed the changing facilities, which provided a range of cold beverages that were very welcome after having already watched two matches in the Gwent sunshine. Unlike, the lower sections of the Gwent Premier League, the top-flight had been underway for over a week. The home team found themselves in third place after enjoying a 4-2 midweek home win over Ynysddu Welfare. AC Pontymister were ensconced in mid-table but enjoyed an impressive 3-2 home victory at Cwmbran Town in their last outing. The visitors opened the scoring in the 11th minute when a cross swung over from the left hit the far post and struck the Corries goalkeeper before dribbling over the line. The home team were back on level terms in the 32nd minute when a low cross was converted from close range. AC Pontymister promptly went down the other end of the pitch straight from the restart and regained the lead when an inviting cross from the right was headed in at the far post. AC increased their advantage after only one minute of the second-half when a dangerous cross from the left was not cleared by the Newport Corries defence and the ball was back-heeled over the line from close range. The hosts netted what turned out to be a mere consolation goal with 12 minutes remaining as they were unable to force an equalising goal in the closing stages.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 195
Matches: 38
New Grounds: 8

KevinW
Youth Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Crystal Palace

Post #18 of 63 (5303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Emirates FA Cup – Preliminary Round
London Hire Stadium – Official Attendance: 140

Sutton Athletic (2) 6 …. Ashford Town (Middx) (0) 0

Entrance - £6, including a chunky 60 page programme, which somewhat surprisingly wasn’t half full of adverts; excellent effort for a step 6 side. Although they may like to update their FA Cup Stats’n’facts – “The highest score line in the final is 6-0, when Derby County was beaten by Bury in 1903” – undeniably true, but………………………

When I first saw this fixture, I had to check to see which Sutton we were looking at; I wasn’t aware of the SCEFL side tucked away in Hextable. Today’s decision came down to a choice between this fixture and Bridon Ropes v Chichester City. I opted for this game, perhaps in part because it was Sutton’s first ever season in the competition and they were one of the few (possibly the only) team in the country boasting a 100% win record in the competition.

The ground is very pleasantly located in north-west Kent – just inside the M25, between Dartford and Swanley, but very rural nonetheless. The facilities are quite basic, but no less than you would expect for a club playing in the 10th tier of English football. There is some covered standing on the south (entrance) side of the ground and a 50-seater stand on the north side. One of those seats was occupied by UKPunk, whom I had met on my travels once before – had a good chat before and during the game about Spurs, Palace, the drama unfolding before us and other non-league musings.

As for ‘the drama unfolding before us’, I knew that Ashford Town had had a poor start to the season, but I wasn’t expecting this – a 6-0 drubbing from a side playing two levels below. The opening few minutes saw both sides setting up attacks, but it was soon noticeable how comfortably the hosts were getting in behind the Ashford defence. The first goal arrived in the 13th minute – a simple tap-in for the #11 following good work down Sutton’s left hand side. The second goal arrived around the half-hour mark, just after the restart following a water-break. The visitors’ struggled to deal with a long through ball and their ‘keeper lost out in a tackle on the edge of his area – the Sutton player then had the simple task of walking the ball into the empty net. The general consensus (between myself and UKPunk, at least) at half-time was that, with more clinical finishing, the step 6 side could easily have been 4 goals ahead. The second half continued in a similar vein, with the hosts continuing to carve open Ashford’s defence. Goal number 3 – a perfectly placed free-kick – arrived in the 56th minute and within the next 6 minutes two more were added. It was ‘game over’ with a little more than an hour played……. Or was it? It is probably too much to suggest that there was any real danger of an abandonment, but there was a delay when the assistant on the far side went down injured and required treatment; however, he was sorted out and able to complete his duties. The final goal arrived with 20 minutes still remaining, but even a single goal consolation was beyond the hapless visitors.

Tomorrow: I am thinking a revisit to Creasey Park – it’s been a while since my one and only previous visit. And tonight I am going to enjoy MOTD.

buncranaboy

Aug 24, 2019, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #19 of 63 (5303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gwent County League 1 : Coed Eva Athletic 4 Newport Saints 3. Admission £3; Programme £2. Attendance : 227

In March 2006 I visited the previous ground of Coed Eva at Penylan Fields for a match against Mardy when they lost 6-3 in front of a crowd of 19 on a grey day, Couldn't have been more different today on a very warm morning for the first of Saturdays three Gwent Hop games at The Birches, in a suburb of Cwmbran.
As per many Gwent league grounds, it's just a railed off pitch at the end of a cul de sac which made for some "interesting" parking with lots of curious locals wondering what on earth was going on; a few baulked at being asked to pay £3 but in truth the game could have been watched for free from many vantage points.
The entertainment was superb with the visitors looking the more accomplished side despite being pegged back twice by the interval. They took the lead a third time only for Coed Eva to hit them with a quick one-two that decided the game though we could have had several more goals.
The burger van on site did a roaring trade and I have to commend the excellent sausage & egg bap at £3.50. Too many faces to talk to all and I didn't even see gcnc, Dave56 or colpic who were probably in shady corner. Despite the heat, some hoppers saw no reason to dispense with the usual match-day garb of coat and jumper; 'spose you can't be too careful. I also spotted only one purchaser (who I was informed was Barcud-Coch) of the latest must-have garment - the GroundhopUK teeshirt, available in a range of colours all in FB size. I did consider one as a present for youngster but thought better of it as he's probably already in possession of one.

Between games I took my passengers Karb and Town Crier to Sebastopol's two GBG entries, the canalside Open Hearth and the staid Social Club where we encountered this forum's Beaver Hateman and Main Drain Man sitting like Waldorf & Statler, heckling folk as they came in.

Only a couple of miles up the road to:
Gwent County League 1 : New Inn 2 Rhymney 2. Admission £3; Programme £1. Attendance : 170
This wasn't a bad set-up in Woodfield Road although again it's basically a railed-off pitch but it felt like a ground being enclosed on two sides by roads and by mature trees/buildings on another. The best view was to be had from the bus-stop atop the bank behind the far goal. Bargain fodder was again available with a generous bowl of chilli and chips for only £2.50 or bottles from local brewer Mad Dog for £3; the Stouty McStout Face was superb.
Again, the on-field action was excellent with four goals shared in a most-watchable game and even aicwhu managed to see a goal in passing.
The horde headed on to Newport Corinthians for the third game of the day, Spud luring Karb away to join them. Myself and the Town Crier made the same return journey as last week with the same pitstop at the Tap House micropub and Seven Seas chippy in Ross on Wye.
Key in door for 7.30, just the time I could have been heading out for a nightful of Tiny Rebel...........Crazy

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 24, 2019, 10:04 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #20 of 63 (5239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stratton Juniors 0 Shrewton United 5 (Wiltshire Senior League) Att: 15 h/c f&n

Men against boys in the first half - five goals and a saved penalty, and the score flattered the home side. Hot and tired men against boys in the second half, in which nothing much happened. I was impressed with Shrewton; however, I fear Stratton may not be in the county league for too long on this showing, although they did improve after the break. Far too hot for watching and playing football. Excellent referee, I thought.

Home is Meadowcroft Recreation Ground, which is in Stratton St Margaret, on the north east side of Swindon. It's a big field in the middle of a council estate, with small perspex dugouts and a shiny new yellow temporary post and rope job. Hot and cold drinks were available from the clubhouse and very welcome. Not a classic venue, but an enjoyable afternoon despite that.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 10:14 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #21 of 63 (5198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We were going to travel a bit further for a single game by going to the Melton Town v Cleethorpes Town FA Cup match but the late announcement of the red button game was ideal. Although we dislike seeing cup games with clubs from same leagues the lure of a double was too good to miss.

We arrived a few mins before ko not helped by a crash on the A14 which held us up a bit which saw my dad drive today. Parked in the car park behind the training pitch with a walk to the entrance.

The Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round
Heather St John’s 1 (53)
Worcester City 0
KO: 12:30 Att: 249 as per NLM FA Cup details Cost: £6 Progs available

Venue: St John’s Park, Ravenstone Road, Heather
We liked this tidy little ground. 4 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed with a small bit of concrete at the bottom to keep rolling balls pitchside. H/s path around pitch & tall conifers around the ground with grass areas in front. One side has covered stand straddling half-way line with 4 rows of blue seats. This was practically out of bounds due to the camera gantry directly in front. Behind is the training pitch. Other side has in most of one half a covered stand with 2 rows of blue seats. Either side of the dugouts are tiny areas of cover for officials with a row of blue seats. On top of the dugout is a nice looking wooden press box. Behind is the clubhouse with a patio on the other side.

Weather: When the sun came out from behind the clouds after a few minutes into the game it soon got hot & sunny, lovely.

Match: Both in Midland League Premier Division. 1st (unbeaten in all 4 league games) v 14th out of 20.
WC shot just wide when the gk pushed out a long throw after 19 mins. HSJ had a free header which was poor as it drifted wide. A couple of mins later WC had a chance which was also wasted wide. Shots 6-5.

The clubhouse tv unsurprisingly had the red button BBC game on at h/t which broadcast tweets when I saw it. H/t lasted under 15 mins.

WC had a free kick & the header went just wide. A good run & a good finish saw the 1st shot on target on 53 mins for the opening goal. HSJ had shot saved on 62 mins & a minute later WC shot just wide. Despite over 5 mins injury time WC couldn’t get the equaliser. Shots 5-5.

Tight game which HSJ just about deserved to win but shooting wasn’t very good with shots on target 2-0.

By the time we got back to the car it was 14:28 but thankfully our next match was only just over a mile away. A slow drive out of the bumpy car park saw us arrive at our next game.

Midland League Division 1
Hinckley 3 (9, 44 & 80, miss pen 63)
Ashby Ivanhoe 0
KO: 15:00 ATT: 164 as per HIN website, my h/c was 151. Cost: £6 Progs available

Venue: The Welfare Ground, Leicester Road, Ibstock
3 floodlight poles each side. Fully railed with h/s around pitch. One side has just the path in front of a concrete wall. Behind are trees & you can also see roofs of houses. Behind one goal is slight grass banking in front of a concrete wall. Other goal has grass going slightly downhill with an area quite wide. Behind metal railings are gently sloping countryside hills. Near side is elevated a couple of steps with lorry container in corner which is home to bar & club shop. An area has 2 broad steps of terracing behind a low brick wall & at the back is a covered area. Near dugouts a path is elevated a bit more in front of the changing room brick building. Also in front of building is a tiny covered stand with 3 rows of black benches. Grass areas in each corner.

Weather: Lovely, hot & sunny.

Match: 12 pts 5 games against unbeaten in 3 games.
Lively opening 16mins with end to end play which saw HIN score with a nice well placed low curling shot which we thought was going wide. A minute later ASH shot just wide & then HIN were denied by the gk. HIN got on top playing some good football. A shot flashed across the goalmouth on 35mins before they scored again thanks to a mix up with gk who dropped the ball after colliding with a defender. Shots 7-4.

Didn’t go in the bar & didn’t look like there was a tv in it. H/t lasted under 14mins.

HIN shot just wide on 51mins & were then awarded a penalty. A poor penalty was saved. (I’ve seen 1 scored out of 4 this season) A minute later ASH free kick was well struck & the gk pushed onto the bar & over. HIN shot just wide on 76mins & not long after a chance went over. HIN deservedly got a 3rd goal from a corner which was headed in. Shots 8-2. A comprehensive win for HIN with plenty of applause from supporters & players at the end.

We weren’t delayed for too long after the game despite being blocked in by a careless bit of parking. Another chap had been delayed for longer got a mouthful of abuse after quite rightfully asking why the *&[email protected] had blocked him in. Just for the record he was in a white van with a Shepshed Dynamo minikit in the passenger window.

Comfortable journey home & flicking through the radio channels at 17:30 managed to listen to the end of the King’s Lynn (v) Curzon Ashton game which apparently started at approx. 15:52.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Aug 24, 2019, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #22 of 63 (5164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Preliminary Round
Melton Town 1 Cleethorpes Town 3
Att: 450 (35 away) Adm: comp (usually £7 - increased from £5) Prog: £1 Golden goal: £1

On some FA Cup away days versus lower ranked sides and it is an easy passage to the next round - this wasn't one of them!

Melton deservedly led at the break in the baking conditions - Leon Fray easing the ball home from 8 yards. Even though the Owls had a goal disallowed, we could really have no complaints and I thought an upset may be on the cards.

Nerves were settled soon after the break, as Brandon Buckley smashed home from 8 yards. Clee dominated the next phase before Melton fought back to force a penalty in the 63rd minute. The pivotal moment of the tie saw athletic stopper Theo Richardson fly high go his right to make a superb stop. Within 2 minutes, Ben Clappison nodded the Owls ahead.

The home team battled hard to force an equaliser, but Lewis Collins settled matters with 5 to go. The remainder of the action was seen through to ensure our name remains in the hat. I hope that the "velvet bag" is kind!

First visit here and I liked the set-up. All compact and neat - Melton appear to be a side on the up. No delays on our travels and we go on another lengthy trip to Sutton Coldfield Town on holiday Monday... splendid!!

2019/20 season: 17 competitive games
(11 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 2 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 66 (3.9 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 16)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 24, 2019, 10:24 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #23 of 63 (5154 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Gwent County League 1 : Coed Eva Athletic 4 Newport Saints 3. Admission £3; Programme £2. Attendance : 227

In March 2006 I visited the previous ground of Coed Eva at Penylan Fields for a match against Mardy when they lost 6-3 in front of a crowd of 19 on a grey day, Couldn't have been more different today on a very warm morning for the first of Saturdays three Gwent Hop games at The Birches, in a suburb of Cwmbran.
As per many Gwent league grounds, it's just a railed off pitch at the end of a cul de sac which made for some "interesting" parking with lots of curious locals wondering what on earth was going on; a few baulked at being asked to pay £3 but in truth the game could have been watched for free from many vantage points.
The entertainment was superb with the visitors looking the more accomplished side despite being pegged back twice by the interval. They took the lead a third time only for Coed Eva to hit them with a quick one-two that decided the game though we could have had several more goals.
The burger van on site did a roaring trade and I have to commend the excellent sausage & egg bap at £3.50. Too many faces to talk to all and I didn't even see gcnc, Dave56 or colpic who were probably in shady corner. Despite the heat, some hoppers saw no reason to dispense with the usual match-day garb of coat and jumper; 'spose you can't be too careful. I also spotted only one purchaser (who I was informed was Barcud-Coch) of the latest must-have garment - the GroundhopUK teeshirt, available in a range of colours all in FB size. I did consider one as a present for youngster but thought better of it as he's probably already in possession of one.

I was another of those at Coed Eva but then disappeared off piste to fill a substantial gap in my ticking CV, arriving 20 minutes prior to kick off at Ynys Park, for:

Ton Pentre 3 Treharris Athletic Western 1, Welsh League Cup 1st Round, Ayy: 70, Admisison: £5, Prog: £1

Having been here a couple of seasons ago for a very late call off of a Sunday Welsh Cup tie, this was a ground I'd wanted to get back to and today seemed as good a day as any as the glorious sunshine showed it off at it's best. The seated stand next to the entrance has been extended since my last visit to tick the FAW boxes and the full width covered terrace behind the goal gives more than enough shelter for the few who turn up. Add in the views on all sides and this is a must visit. The match was mostly an even contest, the visitors equalising soon after conceding an early goal before falling to two late goals. All in all an excellent day out, worthy of the early start and despite a journey back which featured far too many tractors, horse boxes and weekend drivers and culminated in a police-inspired road closure on the A5 at Shrewsbury.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

Hertspireite
Junior Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield FC

Post #24 of 63 (5144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup Preliminary Round
Roker Park
Stotfold (step 6) 0 v 2 Canvey Island (step 4)
Attendance 109

Adm £6/3, Programme £1, Tea £1.10, Water 50p, Canned drinks £1, Bacon butty £1.70

I decided not to go too far from home today, and this FA Cup tie, had the home side won, had the potential to be a bit of a cup set.

Canvey Island created many more shots on goal, and had it not been for Liam Gooch in goal for Stotfold, the score line would have been far higher for Canvey Island.

2018 -19 season. 7 new grounds.
2019 -20 season 17 new grounds.
Newest ground visited Sharpenhoe Road, Barton Rovers, Southern League Division 1 Central, Level 4

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Aug 24, 2019, 10:57 PM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #25 of 63 (3917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday 24th August 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
FA Cup Preliminary Round
Melton Town 1 Cleethorpes Town 3
Att: 450 (35 away) Adm: comp (usually £7 - increased from £5) Prog: £1 Golden goal: £1

On some FA Cup away days versus lower ranked sides and it is an easy passage to the next round - this wasn't one of them!

Melton deservedly led at the break in the baking conditions - Leon Fray easing the ball home from 8 yards. Even though the Owls had a goal disallowed, we could really have no complaints and I thought an upset may be on the cards.

Nerves were settled soon after the break, as Brandon Buckley smashed home from 8 yards. Clee dominated the next phase before Melton fought back to force a penalty in the 63rd minute. The pivotal moment of the tie saw athletic stopper Theo Richardson fly high go his right to make a superb stop. Within 2 minutes, Ben Clappison nodded the Owls ahead.

The home team battled hard to force an equaliser, but Lewis Collins settled matters with 5 to go. The remainder of the action was seen through to ensure our name remains in the hat. I hope that the "velvet bag" is kind!

First visit here and I liked the set-up. All compact and neat - Melton appear to be a side on the up. No delays on our travels and we go on another lengthy trip to Sutton Coldfield Town on holiday Monday... splendid!!

Also here.

Great report and every bit spot on.

Couple of things to add..beer and food ran out in the first half but the chairman was sent on his way to the local shop to stock up otherwise there would of been a lot of unhappy people.
On google this ground is correct however it tells you to enter from the north side where luckily I found a gate open before the game to walk to the entrance on the other side. After the game the gate was locked but luckily being nimble and half sober I was able to jump the 6ft high gate which saved a 10 min walk around the ground.
Post match drink in the GBG Boat Inn before the train back to Leicester. Pre match the micropub (Gas Tap) was shut so opted for a Pilsner in the Crown.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3