Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 34 (3831 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 10th September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Buckley Town 2-1 Llandudno
Cymru North
Admission: Season Ticket
Att: 121 (h/c)

Thoroughly entertaining game in which Buckley rode their luck at times, but came away with the 3 points. Llandudno continue their stuttering start to life in the 2nd tier following last season's relegation after 3 years in the Welsh Prem.

Buckley took the lead with a looping header from a corner on 26. Llandudno equalised with a penalty just before the hour, but Buckley regained the lead just 2mins later with a penalty of their own. A few scares as the visitors had the better of the remainder of the match, but Buckley hung on. They look like they should have enough to survive in what will be a very competitive division.

No obvious changes to the ground since last season. More than adequate for this level.

Windy
First Team Sub

Sep 10, 2019, 10:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 34 (3768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup First Qualifying Round Replay - Marske United 1 Scarborough Athletic 2 - Admission £8 - Programme £2 - Attendance 550

Choice between visits to City of Liverpool, Horsham and Marske tonight as the three replay grounds still to visit and after much contemplation, I chose the latter. Was very tempted to drive up and spend the day at Catterick races beforehand but decided against it - out of curiosity, I looked through the card to see how I would have fared and it would have been losers in the first seven races but an 8-1 winner in the last race so I would have come out even. Had a free National Express voucher to use after a much delayed trip a few weeks ago back from Manchester, so I used that to travel to Middlesbrough and then it was the bus rather than the train to Marske. This is where the story starts as the bus journey on the 5.35 from Middlesbrough was spoilt by a very pungent odour coming from a lady two rows in front of me. It was pretty obvious as more and more of us on the bus were holding our noses that the lady did not have a flatulence problem and instead must have actually shit herself. I saw that when she got off the bus that she had a few words with the driver and fortunately the smell miraculously improved on the bus. Keeping on the racing theme from earlier, one of the towns the bus went through was Redcar with the racecourse on the right hand side and thoughts went back many years to the ITV7 and Brough Scott and the late John McCririck.

Eventually arrived at Marske and an odd moment when I asked an official if I could take a copy of the official teamsheets and I was told that itís against FA regulations to take a copy of them and I would have to wait for the printed teamsheet to come out. Iíve never heard that one before.

Marske started like a train and scored after just two minutes when Matthew Waters held the ball up and waited for Louis Johnson on the overlap who pulled the ball back for Andrew Stephenson to tap in. Stephenson then hit the bar and a header was then cleared off the Scarborough goalline and we were still in the first five minutes. The match calmed down a little before midway through the half, a rash challenge gave Scarborough a free kick 25 yards out and James Walshaw stepped up to curl the ball around the wall into the bottom left corner for the equaliser. Not sure how the score stayed at 1-1 as chances came and went in a very entertaining half.

Scarborough looked the more likely to find the net as the match went on and the winner came with eight minutes remaining from a Ryan Watson corner powerfully headed home at the near post by Isaac Assenso and despite Marske sending men forward, they failed to test the visiting keeper in the closing stages and any crosses delivered were comfortably either held by the keeper or punched clear.

So, Scarborough go through to the next round and a tricky trip to Southport, whilst I will be putting the jinx on a home team somewhere else in the north west that day, with the successive away wins now up to nine going back to mid August. I was tempted at one point to stay in the north east overnight and go to the Sunderland RCA v Dunston UTS match tomorrow but Iíll save that ground for another week.

(This post was edited by Windy on Sep 10, 2019, 11:06 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 10, 2019, 11:11 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #3 of 34 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

6pm
Blackburn & District Combination, Premier Division
Blackburn Olympic 3 Lord Raglan 11 (att 15 h/c)

Almost certainly my final non-floodlit midweek evening game until next spring, and it was an enjoyable goal fest spent in the company of Mick.

The visitors were ahead very early but not long later it was 1-1. That was as good as it got for Olympic who were 7-1 down by half time. The second half was closer, at least in terms of goals. First time I've ever seen a game end 3-11.

The fun took place on 'pitch 7', one of a dozen pitches spread across the King George V Playing Fields in Pleasington. Most Blackburn Combination games are played here, with six other fixtures at the same time as this game. The pitches are far enough apart to make future visits tempting.

No idea if there's any official link between this Blackburn Olympic and the Victorian-era FA Cup winners, but if Wikipedia is to be believed they do seem to play in the same colours.

On my blog at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...c-v-lord-raglan.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 10, 2019, 11:11 PM

Post #4 of 34 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westfields 3 Lydney Town 1

Allpay Park: Banbury Litho Hellenic League Floodlit Cup First Round

This was my first visit to Allpay Park for exactly four weeks when I watched the home team entertain North West Counties League Premier Division opponents Congleton Town in an FA Cup extra preliminary round replay. Westfields came out on top 4-1 that particular evening but were then defeated 3-2 by United Counties League Premier Division visitors Lutterworth Town in the following round on home soil. The Hereford outfit have made a sound start to the campaign since switching from the Midland League Premier Division in the summer following their allocation by the FA in the annual end of season event. Westfield sat at the summit of the Hellenic League Premier Division table, unbeaten in their opening six league fixtures, following their 5-1 home win over Ardley united on Saturday afternoon. Lydney Town had also made a reasonable start to the new campaign as well as they came into this eveningís cup tie in sixth position in the Premier Division following a 2-0 victory over Holmer Green on the weekend. This eveningís protagonists had already met this season with the two teams playing out a goalless draw at Allpay Park in a league meeting on the August Bank Holiday. An added dimension of interest was provided by the fact that the visitors are currently managed by former Westfields striker Richard Kear.

The hosts had a header saved from a fourth minute cross on the right before opening the scoring in the 25th minute. A corner on the right found Ben Hayes in space at the far post and the Westfields attacker curled a delightful shot into the far corner of the net. The host's lead was doubled less than a couple of minutes later when Lydney Town defence failed to clear the ball properly from their penalty area and Joe Bates was on hand to sweep the ball home from close range. Former Ludlow player Keanu Cooper headed wide of the far post on the half-hour mark from a cross on the left before the same player made it 3-0 to Westfields in the 42nd minute after a shot from a team mate beat the Lydney Town goalkeeper but came back off an upright. The Hereford club should have added a fourth goal 10 minutes after the break but could only fire an effort straight at the the visiting custodian after a good passage of play around the edge of the Lydney Town penalty area. The Gloucestershire outfit showed signs of greater attacking intent in the final quarter of the match as they looked to salvage something for their efforts. Lydney Town pulled a goal back in the 72nd minute when an initial shot from the edge of the Westfields penalty area was blocked but Michael Thomas was on hand to fire the loose ball past Ian Havard in the home goal. A header on target was blocked three minutes later from a cross on the right before Havard saved an 88th minute header with his feet. Lydney Town nearly scored a second goal in stoppage time but a far post header from a cross on the right was headed over the crossbar by a Westfields defender.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 264
Matches: 52
New Grounds: 13

noprogs
First Team Star

Sep 10, 2019, 11:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 34 (3712 views)
Shortcut

Ossett U 6 Thornaby 0
FA Cup
Admission £6 Programme £2.50 ( good effort at short notice, albeit overpriced)

I could stretch a point and call this a bracketed tick, being the first time I had seen the merged Ossett United. It's a while since I've been to Ingfield, the major change seemingly an overhaul into the new club colours of sky blue.
After an even start, Ossett led midway through the first half via a brilliant overhead kick, and on the point of the break came a second outstanding goal with a 30 yard volley.
This knocked the stuffing out of Thornaby, who twice conceded two goals in a minute in the second half, ten minutes in, and in the last ten. They also had a man sent off, and saved a penalty; a bit of a surprise this as Ossett's centre forward scored four, taking them all well, but missing the spot kick.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Sep 10, 2019, 11:17 PM)

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 10, 2019, 11:31 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #6 of 34 (3659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Alford 2-2 Crawley Down Gatwick
Southern Combination Premier

With not too much choice on locally, I ended up driving down to make a first visit to a ground I've driven past quite frequently. There is a large clubhouse outside the ground. Inside the ground access is only possible behind one end and down one side. Two areas of cover, one seating and one standing down the side. Unusally the rail is wooden. A tidy ground. Access is down a small lane on the left when heading down Dunsfold Lane, not the easiest to spot shortly after the junction.

Not a huge amount in it, with a draw a fair outcome. In each half it was the visitors who took the lead, only to be pegged back on each occasion. The second goal came 25 seconds after the interval coauding several of the crowd to miss it. Chances at both ends, but too many passes going astray, especially from the hosts.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Regular

Sep 11, 2019, 12:17 AM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #7 of 34 (3580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

BetVictor Northern Premier League South-East Division
Spalding United 2 Cleethorpes Town 1
Att: 152 (12 away) Adm: comp (usually £8) Prog: comp (usually £2)

The small band of travelling fans left the ground hugely disappointed as Spalding deservedly won this Lincolnshire derby. It was the third away defeat for the Owls in a week and some serious question marks are being raised.

Only 2 minutes had elapsed before George Zuerner fired the Tulips ahead with a far post finish. Clee just could not get going - our play was predictable and largely one-dimensional.

Things improved after the break and when Ben Greenwood got his second yellow (a little harshly I thought) for a high boot on Alex Flett, the stage seemed set for a comeback. Spalding had not read the script however, Lewis Brownhill motored clear of a static defence to double the lead. Clee did pull a goal back courtesy of Scott Vernon but could not salvage a point. The win lifts the hosts up to third and, whilst I consider it unlikely that they will stay in such a lofty position, they rightly enjoyed their first ever victory over us.

As for the Owls, we lack guile and craft! I am not convinced about our formation either. The management has been backed by the hierarchy to (at least) be in the top 5 this campaign. Pressure is bound to come on quickly if there are many more shows like tonight and at Sheffield.

To gain perspective though, 10 points from the first 6 is hardly a disaster and a win over leaders Leek Town on Saturday would buck everyone up! We definitely need it.

2019/20 season: 16 competitive games
(10 NPL SE, 2 FA Cup, 2 FA Trophy, 1 League Cup, 1 FA Youth Cup)

Total goals: 64 (4 per game)
Most: 9 (Cleethorpes Town 5 Loughborough Dynamo 4 - 31/8/19)

Last 0-0: Ilkeston Town v Cleethorpes Town (Northern Premier League SE - 17/8/19)
(Current run: 15)

New grounds: 3 (Latest: Sutton Coldfield Town)

(This post was edited by CleethorpesOggy on Sep 11, 2019, 12:17 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 6:13 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #8 of 34 (3431 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Banbury Litho Floodlit Cup R1
Glevum Park
Tuffley Rovers 6 Thornbury Town 1
Admission: £5 Paper available Attendance: 65

First visit and a nice surprise it is too. Tidy affair with several style options for standing/sitting and the hot food looked good. Tucked away up an almost hidden track in a Gloucester industrial estate, it is a gem.
This was Step 5 v Step 6 and it showed; although I'm not sure Thornbury brought its strongest team as there were a lot of young heads in there, reminding me at times of New College Swindon; playing the ball but unable to keep it for any sustained period.
Home side we much too strong and at times the away side's goal led a charmed life and it could have been easily double figures. Good blocks and some inspired 'keeping kept it all down to 6.
Home side were 4 up after 25 with great goals on 13, 17, 23 and 25. The away side tried but had only a couple of attempts on goal. HT 4-0.
Second half, the home side got a little complacent and sloppy and gave away a needless penalty on 65. The cushion was restored on 68 and increased finally on 86 for a thumping win. Home in 65.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 60 Goals: 242 GPG: 4.03 New Grounds: 36

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Sep 11, 2019, 6:14 AM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 11, 2019, 6:27 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #9 of 34 (3400 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

USL. @ Greater Nevada Field. KO 18:45, Actual 19:35. Admission $10. No Programme. Crowd Not Known Yet.

Reno 1868 5 v 0 Tacoma Defiance

Greater Nevada Field is the Baseball Stadium. Close to the centre of town, it has seating on one side and one end, with standing allowed on the grass bank at the other. Plenty of concession stalls open, including several selling craft beer but at $8.50 a pint I gave it a miss. The match was always going to kick of late as a supporter explained to me that they never seem to start before 19:10 but a flash of lightning ensured it would be even later.

Really entertaining first half with Reno scoring on 3 minutes and wrapping up the match with further goals on 26, 27 and 30. No.9 Danny Musovski added the 5th, taking his personal tally for the half to four. Certainly looked good enough to be playing at a higher standard. In the second half the the visitors had a penalty saved after 47 minutes to compound their woes and rarely looked good enough to score. Entertaining stuff for the first match of the tour.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 6:37 AM

Post #10 of 34 (3387 views)
Shortcut

.....Also at a FA Cup replay, regrettably due to over riding w*rk circumstances, much nearer to home...

Canvey Island 2 v 1 Waltham Abbey - FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Replay
Prog 30 pages - Online but where there is a will there is a colour printer - Admission £10.00 - Att 176

......And a good contest with plenty of twists n' turns and thankfully a late goal negated the extra time fears.

Both teams committed to attack and early opportunities at both ends with Georg Purcell from a seemingly offside position bringing out a flying leap of a save from Andy Page in the Waltham Abbey goal and then at the other end Nathan Koranteng's cross taking a clear deflection and ended up striking the outside of the post.

The hosts took the lead with a bizarre oggie with Purcell being in an unfamiliar left wing role swinging over a cross which was headed high upwards by Dominique Yiagnigni, the flight of the ball seemed to transfix the Waltham Abbey defenders in close proximity and the ball bounced off the surface and into the roof of the net. Open play continued with Waltham Abbey having chances to level with Aron Gordon and Leonne McKenzie both bringing out saves of note from Lamar Johnson. Though as the first half progressed, the hosts were by far the more impressive going forward, though there was an uncharacteristic miss by the normally reliable Purcell who was through on goal but with a rare scuff of a shot sent the ball in a straight line and wide where some form of angle was required.

Second half continued in a similar attacking vein, but chances were squandered by both teams with Gordon sending a shot for the visitors far closer to the Thames then the Canvey goal and sending the Official charged with retrieving the many balls kicked out of the ground on what was almost certainly a fruitless search. At the other end an excellent cross from Josh Hutchinson swung over from the left saw Jason Hallett inextricably head wide from close range.

The contest swung in the direction of the visitors with the introduction of Darelle Russell in place of Gordon, a decision at the time had our grouping scratching their perplexed heads as the latter was the most effective Waltham Abbey forward, however within seconds, a cross from the left by Russell was perfect length and height for McKenzie to head the scores level. Minutes later Russell's shot from the edge of the area came back off of the base of the post and on the balance of the prevailing play the least that was expected of the visitors was an additional half hour.

What changed the context of the contest was the needless dismissal of Ryan Dear for the visitors, in a contest between two Essex clubs that was largely without ill feeling, his dangerously high ankle breaker of a challenge on Dan Humphreys was out of kilter with proceedings. Fortunately, Humphreys had the good sense to partially jump out of the way of what was coming in his direction otherwise a trip to the local A&E may well have concluded his evening. No doubt of the outcome with the man in black quickly brandishing his red card. After Dear's dismissal, it all became bad tempered with James White fortunate not to also see red after a brutal challenge on Russell. However, extra time was avoided with a late winner for the hosts as Hutchinson swinging over another perfect cross and to redeem himself after his earlier bad miss Hallett from a much more difficult angle headed into the roof of the net to earn Canvey a trip to St Ives in the next round.

The advantages of pre match printing means that there is now little requirement to arrive at matches so early, however with DLR services partially suspended meaning delays leading to later trains to Benfleet being caught. It was welcomed that the 27x service to Leigh Beck was waiting to depart on arrival at Benfleet, otherwise kick off may have been missed, arrival was made at Park Road just over a quarter of an hour before kick off. Fully utilised the £2.50 PlusBus option with a handy return journey leading to arrival back further up river just over an hour after the final whistle had been blown....

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 11, 2019, 8:14 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 34 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Broadqbridge Heath 2-1 Hassocks
SCL Prem Div
Adm £4 old git, progs available if you were early enough.
Att 107, DJ (another convert to the progs are a waste of time and money club) H/C

Really enjoyable evening on and off the pitch.
Excellent pace to the game and both sides played with a high intensity for the 90 minutes. BBH probably just about deserved it in the end, but Hassocks will feel they deserved a point. The Sussex League has always been a very good league, and going by what we saw hasnít been weakened too much by the expansion of step 4.
Off the pitch the usual array of the good, bad and the ugly had travelled from all parts, so plenty of yarning to go with the entertainment on the pitch.
New ground, so youíll know what itís like, basically same as the rest.
A couple of minor roadworks didnít hamper the journey home, and was tucked up in bed before Wednesday.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 11, 2019, 8:24 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #12 of 34 (3136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

New Mills 2 FC Oswestry Town 3, North West Counties League Division 1 South, Att: 76, Admission: £6, Prog: £2

The visitors from the Welsh border looked like they might run away with this one, scoring twice in the opening ten minutes, however New Mills gradually managed a foothold in the game and deservedly scored from a goalmouth scramble following a disputed corner just before the break. An end to end second period saw the home side equalise with twenty minutes to play and for a while they looked the more likely winners until a clumsy foul in the penalty area resulted in a spot kick which, despite the protestations from nearby locals, was a nailed on penalty and gave the visitors a win they possibly didnít deserve. On this showing, New Mills should soon be climbing the table under new management. In the 15 years or so since my last visit to Church Lane, a low stand has been added to one side of the original covered section, presumably to satisfy the ground graders from their brief spell in the NPL. The rest of the ground is still open standing and the other side remains out of bounds to spectators. One down side of this is that those watching from the stand side have to put up with looking into low floodlights from the small artificial pitch opposite, those lights remaining on for the duration of the match despite it remaining unused throughout. Interesting to note that FC Oswestry wore a re-badged TNS kit of green and white hoops tonight (complete with red dragon on the back). So, no connection there, not at all.

Sadly the local micropub, The Beer Shed, is shut on a Tuesday so pre-match refreshments were courtesy of the Masons Arms, previously a Robinsons pub but now a recently refurbished, community-owned freehouse featuring seven ales, two halves setting me back a massive £2.35.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

dtr1989
Youth Team Sub

Sep 11, 2019, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Bury

Post #13 of 34 (2909 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North West Counties Premier Division

Irlam 2-4 Charnock Richard

Admission - £5
Programme - £2
Attendance - unsure?
Venue - Ambitek stadium

First visit to Silver Street. For some reason I had a pre-conception that it wouldnít be a nice place to visit however it couldnít be any further than the truth. One of the friendliest grounds I have been to. There is a social club, catering unit, seated stand offset on the touchline and a covered standing area behind the south goal. All 4 ends are accessible.

The game was entertaining and saw a goal after 18 seconds for Irlam. Long ball over the top which the keeper misjudged and the impressive Jordan Buckley rounded the keeper to finish it off.
Charnock Richard were becoming frustrated arguing that the decisions from the referee were appalling however in the 1st half he got everything spot on. The 2nd goal also went to Irlam just before half time from the man Jordan Buckley again who received the ball on the edge of the area and smacked a low drive into the near corner.

The 2nd half was a different story. The fans and staff of Charnock Richard obviously had an effect on the referee as there were some appalling decisions in Charnocks favour. The worst being the goalkeeper bringing Buckley down and the referee waving it away.

Charnock did play better in the 2nd half and pulled one back early from the penalty spot. Not sure why the penalty was given, I didnít see a clear foul, just a shout from the scorer Carl Grimshaw.

Charnocks substitute and new signing Jordan Darr made a massive impact and changed the game in Charnocks favour. Charnock equalised then not long after scored a 3rd. I missed the third as i was splitting the management teams up from fighting. A fourth came late on to finish the game off.

Charnock probably deserved the win however I thought the fans and officials of Charnock were appalling. The fans were abusing the Irlam players throughout for no reason, and abusing the referee which definitely impacted the game. One old man was adamant that the foul by the keeper wasnít a penalty and offered me a fight! When I accepted he walked away. The staff were goading the Irlam bench which wound up the manager.

https://thepartialview.sport.blog/

pokal02
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 10:01 AM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #14 of 34 (2902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newent Town 1-4 Hereford LC
Hellenic Floodlit Cup Round 1
Adm + Prog £3 (conc) Coffee £1.20 Att 32 h/c

Unusually traffic-free A40 so arrived here at 18:20. It's about a mile before the town itself on the B4215. Car park is OK for these sort of crowds, could be a problem at a 'big game' as there aren't any side streets nearby and parking on the main road looked a bit dangerous.

The entrance and small clubhouse/bar/tea hut is behind one goal with some hardstanding. There's a nice new stand with 50 yellow seats down the side. I didn't explore the other two sides but think there wasn't any hardstanding there (although they weren't out of bounds).

As for the game, it was 2nd bottom v top but Newent gave a good account of themselves and the final score was harsh on them. HLC led early on from a close range finish and went 2-0 up on 34 mins with a lovely floated shot into the top corner. It was 1-2 two mins later when a Hereford defender headed into his own net attempting to clear.

Chances at both ends after HT but Hereford finally made it safe on 70 when the No 11 beat the offside trap and scored at the second attempt after the keeper parried his first shot. A similar goal from the No.17 followed two minutes later.

The game was over by 21:31 and with, unusually for me, no road closures, I was back indoors a couple of minutes past midnight.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #15 of 34 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Horsham 3 Metropolitan Police 2
FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Replay, Att 445
Admission £11 Programme £2 for 32 nicely produced pages that were up to date and included decent content.

A really enjoyable game this one with Horsham winning it at the death with a disputed goal. It was tough on the visitors who are a very young side but played without fear and showed some excellent pace and technique but lacked a wily old head or two to in crucial areas. It was the Boys in Blue who led after ten minutes with a superb left footed strike from outside the box across the keeper and into the far corner. This came after a free kick of theirs struck the post on 2 minutes. The Mets movement and pace seemed too much at times for Horsham but slowly they came back into it and equalised just before half time when the left back drove in a cross that deceived everyone including the visiting keeper and it ended up in the net. The reaction of the scorer told everything you needed to know re intent!
Within a few minutes of the restart the hosts led with a well struck shot low down from just inside the area. After that Horsham had significant chances to increase their lead, hitting the bar and missing a sitter following good work down the right. The Met too had good possession without doing too much with it, but with 6 to go they levelled with a good strike from the edge of the box following some excellent approach play. It seemed we were destined for the extra half hour and the announcement had been made for 3 minutes of added time when a cross from the left was finished from close in almost on the line for the winner despite protests from the visitors a hand had been used. From my angle it was impossible to tell and the goal stood which led to a visiting defender receiving the only yellow card of the night.
There was still time for The Met to hit the bar following a corner and the final whistle was met with great gusto from the home crowd.
It was a thoroughly enjoyable game. The referee had some big decisions to make and I thought handled the game really well. What impressed me massively was his communication with the players, explaining decisions and in a first for me, referring to players as ĎSirí when he could not see their numbers. Take a bow James Robinson, and by the way, you do look and sound like Sean Dyche!
Also the Mets No 10 Ayoud Assal, what a player. Non stop running and excellent use of the ball this guy is someone to keep an eye on.
The visit to Horshamís new community stadium re completes the Isthmian Premier for me. A tidy little ground which has the basic creature comforts but plenty of room to expand and enjoys an excellent clubhouse. What was really noticeable was the friendly welcome from the lady selling 50/50 tickets (As always I did not win! ) and the chap selling programmes. Horsham seem to be a club on the rise and for anyone yet to visit, I can highly recommend it.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 11, 2019, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #16 of 34 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
SCL Prem Div

Also here and agree with youngster it was a fine evening's entertainment, two teams going at it while trying to play decent football and some familiar faces in the crowd to chat to.

I liked the ground, yes it's not untypical of a new build but it's all done to a good spec (glass in the sides of the kit stands, proper hardstanding all round, thoughtfully placed dugouts etc) and has a smart, spacious clubhouse. The problems with the pitch, which caused all sorts of frustrating delays to moving in, seem to be well behind them now. A far better home than their old place in the leisure centre next door, whose car park and that of the adjacent indoor bowls centre (but not the neighbouring Tesco car park) are available for the football watchers.

Full admission was £6, a decent prog was £1 and the official attendance was 112.

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Sep 11, 2019, 11:26 AM

Post #17 of 34 (2710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [youngster] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
SCL Prem Div
Adm £4 old git, progs available if you were early enough.
Att 107, DJ (another convert to the progs are a waste of time and money club) H/C

Little to add to Swampy's succinct report other than to say the excellent programme sold out and actually makes a profit for the club so not actually a waste of money. A tip for the referee if he has any ambitions of 'promotion' to the Isthmian League he'll have to do something about his timekeeping. Starting a 19.45 kick off at 19.45 will be a no no and as for cramming 45 minutes of football into 45 minutes as you did in the first half won't be getting you any brownie points with Bet Victor.

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 11:47 AM

Post #18 of 34 (2649 views)
Shortcut

Tuesday 10 September 2019
FACup Replay
Atherton Collieries 0 FC United of Manchester 1
Admission £8
Programme £2 / Teamsheet 10p
Coffee £1
Craft Lager £2.30
Attendance 947

Third Tuesday in a row to the Northwest for a FA Cup replay.
A decent crowd with many away fans .
Compact ground with two seated stands and a clubhouse, tea stand and a seperate bar.

A tight cuptie with very few chances on a sloped pitch until late in the game when a late United goal settled the game.

New Grounds 2019/20 :189
Total Games :26
Total Goals : 81
Av Goals Per Game : 3.10
Last new Ground: 13/10/19 CDA Navalcarnero 3 Union Adarve 2
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1007 Liskeard

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 11, 2019, 12:07 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #19 of 34 (2608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Flackwell Heath 3-1 Sutton Athletic

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round replay, admission £6, didn't see a programme, chips £2, Fanta £1.10, att: 141

A bit of a pain of a journey down with never ending roadworks around Oldbury being a quicker way to the M40 than via the elevated M6 through Birmingham. On arrival at the ground the car park was full, there was a sign but it was 10 yards before the car park and the narrow Magpie Lane is not ideal for turning round! I chuntered and the club wisely stuck a "car park full" sign on the main road. Parking is at a premium on the neighbouring streets so it will be fun when Slough come to town.

Decent set up with cover on all 4 sides, as it was a pleasant evening I stood in the open as the stand looked a bit shallow.

Good game which the home side looked they could score at will early on and a cricket score looked likely. After 2-0 though they took their foot off the gas and early in the 2nd half Sutton got a goal back. From then on it looked more likely the Kentish side would equalise and we would get the dreaded extra time. Flackwell Heath scored very late on though to seal the tie and get a juicy local derby in the next round.

Although the M6 was closed around Stafford I avoided this by going north on the A446, A38 and A50. Home just before the pumpkin.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Sep 11, 2019, 12:09 PM)

John403
Youth Team Regular

Sep 11, 2019, 12:46 PM

Team(s): Fulham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #20 of 34 (2513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at.............

Admission £11 Programme £2 for 32 nicely produced pages that were up to date and included decent content.

Not much to add to the previous report. Agree that it was a really enjoyable contest, Iíd say overall Horsham just about deserved the win.

Real buzz about the place last night - Plenty of parking in an organised car park a short walk from the ground. Ground nice & tidy and thought the clubhouse was very smart inside.

Decent evening out !

Dilligaf
Junior Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 12:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 34 (2482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Admission £11 Programme £2

Also here. Match perfectly summarised by Bigaitch. A really entertaining game but i was thankful for Horsham's last gasp winner rather than having another half hour of extra time and potential penalties.

Plenty of familiar faces in attendance including the forum's burgesshillbee.

As advised by the club i parked in the park and ride facility opposite the access road to the stadium which is just off the A24 roundabout at Southwater.No problems here as there are club marshals directing you where to park and assisting on crossing the road to the stadium.Parking at the stadium is strictly for players and the match and club officials.

For a new build i thought the stadium was pretty good surrounded by woodland and part of a golf course. There is also a caged artificial pitch behind the main stand.

No problems getting away afterwards and drove past Broadbridge Heath's new ground which i had visited the previous Tuesday.

Karb
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #22 of 34 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dilligaf] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leicestershire Senior League
Blaby & Whetstone 0-1 Asfordby
Admission £3, no paper, Att 24 (h/c)

One of very few unvisited grounds that I can get back from by train midweek. This was on my radar to do at around the time that B&W disappeared from the EMCL a year or two back. I finally got round to ticking it off last night.

The ground is around 20-25 minutes walk from the station. A pleasant walk, often with the only sound being neighing horses - apart from the point where the motorway passes overhead.

Pre match refreshments were taken at the Narborough Arms and The Plough, the latter taking the lead in the "pub with the prettiest barmaids" category. Oh to be 25 years younger!

Lots of youngsters had just finished a training session when I arrived, bear this in mind if you are intending to park at the ground. The clubhouse was decent enough, and showing the England match. Inside the ground there is a small amount of cover, with bench type seating. On a warm, dry evening, most people preferred to stand in the open air.

On the field, Blaby went into the game having scored 15 and conceded 17 in their opening five League games, while Asfordby had played just twice - losing 0-6 and 1-7. But if I was hoping for a goal-fest, it soon became apparent that goals would be hard to come by. There weren't many chances at all.

The first half was relatively even, but Blaby dominated the second half, most of it spent camped around the Asfordby 18 yard box. But the visiting defence kept them at bay, helped by an excellent display by the keeper.

On 90 minutes, just when it seemed that I was destined for my first goalless draw since January, Asfordby broke out of defence and, with one of the sweetest left foot strikes you could ever wish to see, Rowland fired across the keeper and into the far corner.

While it was tough on Blaby, it was a lesson in what can happen if you don't take advantage of your dominance. Given Asfordby's start to the season, few would begrudge them a win as reward for their hard work.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 6:45 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale, Halstead Town & West Ham United

Post #23 of 34 (1956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Witham Town 0-3 Great Wakering Rovers (HT: 0-3)
Velocity Trophy (a.k.a. Isthmian League Cup)
Admission: via Season Ticket (otherwise £8)
Attendance: 61

A second cup defeat in four days.
A poor first half but better for Town in the second period.
Still, it's group games at this stage so still a chance to progress.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 7:28 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #24 of 34 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Tuesday 10 September 2019
FACup Replay
Atherton Collieries 0 FC United of Manchester 1
Admission £8
Programme £2 / Teamsheet 10p
Coffee £1
Craft Lager £2.30
Attendance 947

Third Tuesday in a row to the Northwest for a FA Cup replay.
A decent crowd with many away fans .
Compact ground with two seated stands and a clubhouse, tea stand and a seperate bar.

A tight cuptie with very few chances on a sloped pitch until late in the game when a late United goal settled the game.

Also at this one. Disappointing to lose having done such a good job on Saturday to earn a replay, but as the night went on it looked more and more that only one goal would be needed to settle it.

At the time, I didnít think much of the second half shot that was deflected over the bar, even though I was right behind the goal. On inspection of the replay, though, there was a clear handball from a visiting defender - who knows what difference might have been made with a home penalty at that point with the scores still 0-0, but it obviously wasnít to be.

Missing Rotherham v Bolton on Saturday and heading to Stalybridge v Colls instead. Personally, I always rank Stalybridge as one of the bigger clubs in non-league and have it as another marker of Collsí progress to be facing them in a league game.

chorleyclaret
Ballboy/girl

Sep 11, 2019, 7:50 PM

Post #25 of 34 (1879 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dtr1989] Tuesday 10th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
North West Counties Premier Division

Irlam 2-4 Charnock Richard

Admission - £5
Programme - £2
Attendance - unsure?
Venue - Ambitek stadium

First visit to Silver Street. For some reason I had a pre-conception that it wouldnít be a nice place to visit however it couldnít be any further than the truth. One of the friendliest grounds I have been to. There is a social club, catering unit, seated stand offset on the touchline and a covered standing area behind the south goal. All 4 ends are accessible.

The game was entertaining and saw a goal after 18 seconds for Irlam. Long ball over the top which the keeper misjudged and the impressive Jordan Buckley rounded the keeper to finish it off.
Charnock Richard were becoming frustrated arguing that the decisions from the referee were appalling however in the 1st half he got everything spot on. The 2nd goal also went to Irlam just before half time from the man Jordan Buckley again who received the ball on the edge of the area and smacked a low drive into the near corner.

The 2nd half was a different story. The fans and staff of Charnock Richard obviously had an effect on the referee as there were some appalling decisions in Charnocks favour. The worst being the goalkeeper bringing Buckley down and the referee waving it away.

Charnock did play better in the 2nd half and pulled one back early from the penalty spot. Not sure why the penalty was given, I didnít see a clear foul, just a shout from the scorer Carl Grimshaw.

Charnocks substitute and new signing Jordan Darr made a massive impact and changed the game in Charnocks favour. Charnock equalised then not long after scored a 3rd. I missed the third as i was splitting the management teams up from fighting. A fourth came late on to finish the game off.

Charnock probably deserved the win however I thought the fans and officials of Charnock were appalling. The fans were abusing the Irlam players throughout for no reason, and abusing the referee which definitely impacted the game. One old man was adamant that the foul by the keeper wasnít a penalty and offered me a fight! When I accepted he walked away. The staff were goading the Irlam bench which wound up the manager.

Irlam is a nice ground, and a great playing surface, one of the best in NWCFL Premier Divison.

In the first half, towards the end, Charnock semmed to lose their mettle

To say the fans and staff had an effect on the referee is out of order. The referee's have it tough at this level because it's what I call "raw football". 99% of them handle the game well, and at no point did I see our "staff" influence decisions, as much as the Irlam staff did.

Sorry you felt the fans and officials were "appalling", as you put it. Not sure which position you hold at Irlam FC, but the majority of the Irlam officials and fans were gracious in defeat. I didn't see ANY Charnock fans near the dugouts throughout the game. They were stood on the far side

(This post was edited by chorleyclaret on Sep 11, 2019, 7:56 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3