Locations of Long Gone Grounds

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 11, 2019, 10:10 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 18 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Locations of Long Gone Grounds Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have taken on the Groundhopper App this season, and although I am not sure about how useful it is, I have been wasting time trying to get all my old matches into the database.

The problem is with grounds that are not on the Apps database. It is something of a rigmarole to enter grounds into the system as it requires using the map, and some are too close to an existing ground to be allowed. A quirk is that although they have old Wembley and new Wembley as separate entries, it would not have been possible to enter old Wembley into the system if missing!
Of course, some defeat me to some extent - I just cannot remember the location, nor spot it on the map.

1. As I saw Clacton's old ground is now a retail park, I have located it at the Lidl on Old Road. Does anyone know if this is correct
  2. The old ground of Patro Eisden? I think it may be what is now the Jeugd ground on Louis Mercierlaan. I have tried to put this into the App once, but they rejected this (and some other Belgium grounds) as I assumed that by using a map to pinpoint a ground, I had given a good enough address
  3. Pegasus (Hampshire). I have no memory at all of where this was, although it must have been close to Basingstoke. The Lansing Bagnall Works was quite central, and it was their sports ground.

There will be more, I have added only a quarter of my grounds (although almost half my matches)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Sep 11, 2019, 10:10 AM)

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Sep 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #2 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leo,
In relation to Clacton Towns Old Road ground, you are a little bit out.
If you look on google maps or the like and come south a couple of hundred yards along Old Road, you will come to a retail park containing Iceland, Halfords, Morrison’s, Next and Costa Coffee. This is the location of the ground with the pitch running length ways on that same footprint. Another landmark is Rosemary Road West, which is opposite. I thought when I saw the name it was a road named after a famous murderer....but I then looked more carefully.
I can’t help with the other two I am afraid.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 11, 2019, 5:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 18 (2541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Patro Eisden was a couple of fields to the east, off Kastanjelaan. The 'historic' imagery on Google Earth just captures the ground in 2005.

Could Pegasus (Basingstoke) have been off Kingsclere Road?

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 11, 2019, 9:15 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #4 of 18 (2422 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Pegasus (Hampshire). I have no memory at all of where this was, although it must have been close to Basingstoke. The Lansing Bagnall Works was quite central, and it was their sports ground.

My copy of the 1983-84 Rothmans Non-League Yearbook lists the address of the Pegasus ground as; Lansing Bagnall Sports Field, Water End Lane, Hook. This ground is still extant and visible not only on Google Maps but from passing trains on the nearby railway line. Is this the ground you visited?

KnowYourMarket

Sep 16, 2019, 11:44 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #5 of 18 (1920 views)
Shortcut

If you send an email to the chaps at Groundhopper App if a ground is rejected and explain why you think it should be added they will normally add it.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

MelChester
Junior Team Regular

Sep 17, 2019, 7:28 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 18 (1747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Pegasus (Hampshire). I have no memory at all of where this was, although it must have been close to Basingstoke. The Lansing Bagnall Works was quite central, and it was their sports ground.

My copy of the 1983-84 Rothmans Non-League Yearbook lists the address of the Pegasus ground as; Lansing Bagnall Sports Field, Water End Lane, Hook. This ground is still extant and visible not only on Google Maps but from passing trains on the nearby railway line. Is this the ground you visited?

The ground was still in use a few years ago for Sunday games and Cup Finals, sure it was the ground mentioned above.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 17, 2019, 7:42 PM

Post #7 of 18 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MelChester] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have submitted the Pegasus one to the app. Next up on the list is Hardley Lane, former ground of Blackfield & Langley (first of three grounds for me). The only road I can find with that name is actually in Hythe, north of Hardley close to the junction between the Hythe by-pass and Fawley Road.

Fat AND Pompous.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 17, 2019, 7:50 PM

Post #8 of 18 (1581 views)
Shortcut

And one more for tonight, Admirals Park in Shifnal.

Fat AND Pompous.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 18, 2019, 7:44 AM

Post #9 of 18 (1480 views)
Shortcut

I have four accepted into the App last night
They are Castle Park - former ground of Towcester Town
Ringwood Road - BAT (for me), later Totton & Eling
The Goat - Fisher Athletic
Batts Meadow - Portals Athletic

Fat AND Pompous.

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Sep 18, 2019, 7:45 AM)

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 18, 2019, 8:33 AM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #10 of 18 (1472 views)
Shortcut

Leo I believe that BAT is already on the app as Southern Gardens (Demolished).

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 18, 2019, 9:28 AM

Post #11 of 18 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That would be a problem with the app. When I am searching for one ground, it does not show the other, (which has not actually been demolished). You can now click on either, which shows the same postcode and same point on the map.
I note that this did not say "too close to existing ground", while Manor Park, Malden does even though it is much further from an "existing ground"

...and I've still got to add 36 years worth of records

Fat AND Pompous.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 19, 2019, 12:45 PM

Post #12 of 18 (1234 views)
Shortcut

Water End Lane, aka Lancing Bagnall Sports Ground becomes the first ground added to the App as a result of this thread
They have also added Drayton Park, which was the home of McMurdo when I first went, but has had a number of Hampshire League teams over the years.

Fat AND Pompous.

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 19, 2019, 1:14 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1225 views)
Shortcut

This leaves four to complete my records to the end of 1982
1. Road Sea. Long Lane, Marchwood. I believe this is the most northerly pitch on Long Lane separated from the rest of the Southampton training grounds by a car park
2. Weston-super-Mare, Langford Road - I can't remember where this was exactly.

3. Downton. Long Close Park - is this now shown on google maps as Memorial gardens?

4. Corby Town. Occupation Road. When I went, the Corby and S&L grounds were separate, although I think they used the same driveway from Occupation Road.

Fat AND Pompous.

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 19, 2019, 1:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 18 (1205 views)
Shortcut

'Millennium Green' covers the north-western part of WSM's Langford Road ground. Parts of the southern and eastern edges of the pitch are now various warehouse yards.

Corby Town's old ground is now covered by the Cannock Road housing estate and it does appear that they shared a driveway with S&L.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2019, 4:40 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #15 of 18 (1167 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This leaves four to complete my records to the end of 1982
1. Road Sea. Long Lane, Marchwood. I believe this is the most northerly pitch on Long Lane separated from the rest of the Southampton training grounds by a car park
2. Weston-super-Mare, Langford Road - I can't remember where this was exactly.

3. Downton. Long Close Park - is this now shown on google maps as Memorial gardens?

4. Corby Town. Occupation Road. When I went, the Corby and S&L grounds were separate, although I think they used the same driveway from Occupation Road.

I also believe this to be the case. I saw a Southampton U18 game there while the stand was still in place although I think this may now have been removed.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 23, 2019, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #16 of 18 (700 views)
Shortcut

...and I've still got to add 36 years worth of records

Which is why I CBA. Life's too short.

dottirofhod

Sep 23, 2019, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #17 of 18 (672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I`m sure Leopold will have his secretary and servants on the job.
They must get some spare time, after all there are only 72 rooms to clean in the Château.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 23, 2019, 10:51 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #18 of 18 (642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Locations of Long Gone Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Leo I believe that BAT is already on the app as Southern Gardens (Demolished).

The cricket ground at Southern Gardens, part of which overlapped the football ground, is still there and visible from the railway line. The rest of the old football pitch is now covered with flats overlooking the cricket pitch.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3