Tuesday 17th September

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

penny banner
Youth Team Regular

Sep 17, 2019, 10:35 PM

Post #1 of 37 (4238 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 17th September Can't Post or Reply Privately

RAMSGATE v Herne Bay. kick off 19.46 I.M.T. result 0-3 Admission £5 for geriatrics. Programme £2. Attendance 218

Oh dear, money man Paul Bowden-Brown didn't pull any punches in his entertaining programme notes 'It's a totally unacceptable position for our team to be in and it's certainly not what we have budgeted for when we appointed our management team and our experienced squad' And that was before tonight's disaster. If I was manager Nick Davis I wouldn't be making any long term plans. So that's played 5 lost 4 drawn 1 and bottom of the league. No wonder Mr. B-B isn't very chirpy.
isn't very chirpy.

(This post was edited by penny banner on Sep 17, 2019, 10:37 PM)

osborne
First Team Sub

Sep 17, 2019, 10:44 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #2 of 37 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heather St. Johns 1 Stourport Swifts 0. Midland League Premier
Admission £6
Programme £1
Tea £1

When I saw Heather pre-season they looked very poor, but early season sees them near the top of the table, so I decided to head down and watch them.
No changes to the ground since last season. The game was the proverbial game of two halves. The first half saw Heather play good football and miss several good chances and the second half was dominated by Stourport. How they managed not to score I don't know, but Heather scraped the win. Despite the lack of goals it was an entertaining game and Heather look like a team that could tempt me to wacth them more often.

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Sep 17, 2019, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #3 of 37 (4137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [penny banner] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Les Phillips Cup
The Field
Almondsbury 1 Exmouth Town 4
Admission: £6 Paper available Attendance: 48

Exmouth eased to a win in the Preliminary Round of the Western League Cup; four excellent first half goals on 17, 30, 35 and 45 saw them able to ease off and manage the game.
Almonds, for their part, played better second half and were rewarded with a deflected volley on 90, however there was quite a chasm between the home Division One team and the Premier visitors.
A block turnstile has now been installed since the Hellenic hop at the end of last season but otherwise no real changes. Home in 35.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 85 Goals: 335 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 47

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 17, 2019, 10:53 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #4 of 37 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Warning - non non league...

League Two
Exeter City 2-0 Port Vale

Entry: £18
Attendance: 3,765

A comfortable win for City that cements them into top spot, though despite all their possession and chances, their two goals didn’t arrive until the final nine minutes. Vale defended with determination, but always looked like they’d come for the goalless draw.

As for St.James Park, this is a football ground of the old-fashioned type, crowbarred into the racks of Victorian terraced streets just to the east of the city centre. And I think I’m correct in saying that the Big Bank home end is biggest bank of standing terracing left in the country.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Sep 17, 2019, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 37 (4123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Needham Market 3 Ipswich Town Under 23s 0
Suffolk FA Premier Cup, 1st Round
Bloomfields

Admission: £11
Programme: None, colour teamsheets in VIP area
Attendance: 197

Ipswich had an almost Under 18 team out with just a few players who were to old for the Youth team playing. Excellent first half with both teams playing good football but Needham getting the only goal.

Second half was more scrappy and as Ipswich tired, Needham got on top and quickly added a second goal with the third coming from a defensive mistake in the last minute.

Last New ground; Oxhey Jets Games in 2019/20 Season; 55, New Grounds this Season; 27, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Blackpool - League One ( 23/11/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 17, 2019, 11:15 PM

Post #6 of 37 (4082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wellington 1 Newent Town 1

Wellington Playing Fields: Uhlsport Hellenic League First Division West

Whilst I had visited this ground on a number of occasions already this term, this was the first time that I had witnessed team in competitive action, having only seen Wellington entertain national League North Hereford FC in a pre-season fixture at the beginning of July. The last couple of trips to this ground had been to watch the youngsters of Hereford in Midland Floodlit Youth League action after having previously played their home fixtures in the city of Hereford itself at Pegasus Juniors in recent seasons. This evening’s host club had been transferred across from the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division in the summer, via the FA’s annual National League System allocation process, and were enjoying their first-ever campaign in the Hellenic League. Welington came into this evening's fixture in second place in the First Division West table and trailed local rivals Hereford Lads Club by a single point but held one match in hand on the divisional leaders. The villagers had maintained their 100% league record following a narrow 2-1 success at Cirencester Town Development on Saturday afternoon. By contrast, visitors Newent Town had endured a tough start to the campaign, as they had lost all four of their opening four league matches. This was only the Gloucestershire club’s second season at this level and they had finished in the lower reaches of the table at the conclusion of their debut campaign. The visitors took a break from league action on Saturday afternoon and suffered a narrow 2-1 reverse at Gloucestershire rivals Longlevens in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase.

This fixture was re-arranged from earlier in the season when Wellington were leading 4-1 before the floodlights went out a few minutes before the final whistle sounded. The home team made a positive start with former Hay St Mary's talisman Brendan Hackett volleying wide of the target in the fifth minute after the Newent Town defence failed to clear the ball. Wellington went close again six minutes later after a thrown-in was headed into the path of Sam Pearson but the former Leominster Town and Pegasus Juniors front man was unable to keep his 25 yard effort down. The villagers should have opened the scoring on the 15 minute mark when the visiting custodian stood-up to make a smart save in a one-on-one situation. Yet it was Newent Town that broke the deadlock somewhat against the run of play after breaking swiftly down the left flank four minutes layer and eventually seeing a through ball finished with a neat effort past the home custodian. The Herefordshire club were not behind for long though, following a good passage of play on the edge of the opposition penalty area, which eventually saw Hackett's low cross turned into the net by a Newent Town defender from close range. The visitors saw a 25 yard free-kick held by the Wellington goalkeeper in the 25th minute before the hosts ended the opening period with Stuart Davies' 25 yard drive flying narrowly wide of goal in the final minute of the half. The Gloucestershire outfit enjoyed a neat passage of play nine minutes after the break but saw the home custodian save a close range effort and Wellington responded with a chopped effort from the edge of the penalty area that was turned over the crossbar. A Wellington defender made an important challenge to prevent a Newent Town opponent getting an important shot on goal in the 84th minute before the home goalkeeper did well to turn behind a header from a cross eight minutes later and preserve his team's unbeaten start to the league campaign

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 291
Matches: 56
New Grounds: 13

tigerman48
Youth Team Star

Sep 17, 2019, 11:36 PM

Post #7 of 37 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Tuesday 17th September 2019
Isthmian league
Barking FC 3 Waltham Abbey 4
Admission £10
Programme £1.50 (20 pages)
Badge none
Attendance 71
Coffee £1.50

Another Tuesday night game luckily in London with work.
Hammersmith & City in a bit of a meltdown and buses not running as scheduled ensured I missed first ten minutes if the game but luckily no goals.

Ground had a partially seated stand along the touchline and a terraced stand behind one goal and behind the other a roofed area.
There was a clubshop but sadly it remained padlocked maybe it was open pre-match ?

In the tea area there were details of a future plans at the ground including an artificial pitch.

The visitors took the lead and then Barking got two quick goals to head into the break 2-1 up.
After halftime Waltham Abbey scored 2 goals to lead 3-2 before the home keeper had a mare flapping the ball into his own net.
Barking managed another near the end but despite a late goal and lots of pressure could not find an equaliser.

Return journey slightly better but again Hammersmith and City line trains seemed sparse.

New Grounds 2019/20 :26
Total Games :35
Total Goals : 98
Av Goals Per Game : 2.80 j
Last new Ground: 17/11/19 SC Fortuna Koln 0 Borrusia Dortmund u23's 2
LAST NEW WETHERSPOONS -1008 Rainham

Wiretown.Editor
First Team Regular

Sep 17, 2019, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Tn, Warrington Wolves

Post #8 of 37 (4007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hallmark Security NW Counties Div One South
Ellesmere Rangers 2 Abbey Hey 3
Admission £5, prog £1
Tea £1.20
Att 55 appx.

Decent game that was nicked by the visitors. ER led then trailed but pulled it back to 2-2 but Abbey had the final word. A draw would probably have been fair.

Been a few years since I was last here. All v tidy with a kit stand now in place, part seated. Fully railed and enclosed. The club looked to have had a makeover too.

Good to chat to Martin55 at this one

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 17, 2019, 11:45 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #9 of 37 (3967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Premier Division South
Wimborne Town 2-2 Truro City
Attendance 266
Admission £12 - Programme £2

Entertaining game which the visitors dominated in the first half but the hosts will feel at the end they should have won. The visitors took the lead in the 34th minute with a cross from the right turned into his own net by Carl Pettefer at the near post. The game turned on its head in a mad 7 minute spell midway through the second half. A penalty given for a push in the box was converted by Stefan Penny, then five minutes later Truro were down to 10 men when Penny, through on goal, was brought down just outside the area by Adel Gafaiti. As he was the last man he had to go and the resultant free kick was superbly curled over the wall and into the keepers right hand corner of the net by Billy Maybury. Despite the man advantage the hosts couldn't hold on and gave away a penalty with 7 minutes remaining which was converted by Luke Jephcott.

One change since last visiting Cuthbury. To fill Step 3 ground grading requiremants, 50 alternate black and white seats have been added in a single row behind the covered far end. There used to be a single row wooden bench running the whole width behind this goal around 20 years ago but had it been a standing area since.

ARL
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 17, 2019, 11:57 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #10 of 37 (3931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tigerman48] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was also at this one. Probably at least 25 years since I last visited Mayesbrook Park. The stadium has come a long way in that time. The stadium next door, that is. Mayesbrook Park is in a bit of a run-down state, with a cordoned off wasteland behind the goal where the old clubhouse used to be, and a collection of prefab sheds and containers doing service as changing rooms, boardroom, physio room etc. The hot food shack was open but unpopulated until just before kick-off - I eventually got a burger and chips about 15 minutes into the game. The club shop was not open at any stage (I was there an hour before KO).

Thought Barking were the better side for most of the match apart from the early stages of both halves where they conceded the goals. They were unlucky not to get an equaliser with the last kick. Waltham Abbey's game management in stoppage time left a lot to be desired.

(This post was edited by ARL on Sep 17, 2019, 11:59 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 18, 2019, 12:21 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #11 of 37 (3885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hants Senior Cup 2
AFC Bournemouth 8-0 Basingstoke
A few hundred in attendance, including a particularly noisy group of away fans with a drum, all seated in half of the main stand
Adm £5, no prog but free colour team sheets (or black and white for stragglers)

I rarely enjoy one-sided matches as a neutral but this was very much an exception. Basingstoke were by no means disgraced, it's just that Bournemouth's football was from a different planet. The technique, skill and awareness was great to watch as they passed and moved the visitors off the park and scored some excellent goals too, including a couple of sublime chips. Good to see Cherries stalwart (and ex-Tranmere loanee) Simon Francis making his comeback from long term injury in what was essentially their U21 side, though it was young Irish midfielder Gavin Kilkenny who caught the eye with a hat-trick, including one of the sublime chips I mentioned....from 40 yards!

3-0 at half time and by the hour it was 7-0. To be fair, when Basingstoke weren't chasing shadows they did ask questions of the hosts, and to their credit they did exert some sustained pressure in the last ten minutes. But even though Bournemouth were down to ten men by then (thanks to an injury after they'd used up their subs), the came up with another audacious lob to make it 8-0 just before the end.

Bournemouth usually concede home advantage in this competition but I'm guessing Basingstoke's temporary groundshare at Winchester was a factor in this taking place at Dean Court, or the Vitality as it is now. Whoever they play in the next round would be well-advised not to prepare too good a pitch!

My first visit to this place since the old Dean Court was redeveloped. Unrecognisable. But easy to find - just off the main A338 into Bournemouth and well signposted of course. Free parking in the club car park tonight, so an easy getaway before a hassle-free drive back up the M3.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Sep 18, 2019, 12:25 AM)

Karb
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2019, 12:23 AM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #12 of 37 (3884 views)
Shortcut

National League North
Hereford 2-1 Gateshead
Admission £14, Programme £3, Att: 1,703

Edgar Street falls into the category of "old-fashioned ground". I've passed it many times, but this was my first time attending a match there. There are no cash turnstiles, you must purchase a ticket from the ticket office first. A slight delay at work meant that time was a bit tight, not getting to the ground until around 10 minutes before kick off, and I was a little concerned that I'd miss the start when I saw the queues at the ticket office, but thankfully the service was quick, and I made it onto the terrace with about 2 minutes to spare.

Gateshead had much the better of the first half, number 9, Kayode, on loan from Rotherham, unsettled the home defence with his pace, but ta half of few clear cut chances ended 0-0.

The visitors went ahead on 61 minutes. Kayode went on a powerful run, and his shot hit the post before striking the back of the unfortunate keeper and rebounding into the net.

Both Hereford goals came from defensive lapses. On 65 minutes, a low cross should have been a routine clearance for Heed's player manager Mike Williamson, but he completely missed his kick, allowing Nicholson to tap in at the far post.

5 minutes into the 6 allocated minutes of stoppage time, Hereford got their winner. The keeper started to come for a through ball, then changed his mind and was caught in no mans land. Nicholson squared the ball for substitute O'Sullivan to fire into an unguarded net.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

Windy
First Team Sub

Sep 18, 2019, 12:34 AM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 37 (3871 views)
Shortcut

2.0 - UEFA Youth League - Ajax 4 Lille 0 - Admission €2.50 - Free teamsheet - Attendance approx 500

9.0 - Champions League - Ajax 3 Lille 0 - Admission €50 - No programmes - Attendance 51,441

First overseas trip of the season and first visit to Amsterdam in around 30 years. It’s never been one of my favourite cities and I still can’t see the appeal after visiting today. Great place if you want space cake, cannabis ice cream, cannabis lollipops etc which I spotted in the shops or great if you’re looking at the ladies in the red light district, but I really can’t see why everyone gets excited by the place. Yes, there’s Anne Frank’s house and the canals, but I’ve done them and I wasn’t going to do them again.

Hadn’t been to the Johan Cruyff arena before, hence the visit today but the first stop was the youth match which was played around half a mile away from the main ground. On approaching the ground, I was stopped by security who wanted to know where I was from and was I on my own. After presumably giving the right answers I was told that I could go through and buy a ticket at the office, however, there I was told that tickets were only being sold to members. I pleaded my case and again, common sense prevailed and then I did my good deed by getting a ticket for someone else as the office weren’t taking cash for some reason and it was cards only.

Ajax won this one convincingly and Lille offered little. The first goal came on 4 minutes when a long ball out of defence from Nordin Musampa saw Youri Regeer outpace the defence before slotting the ball past the keeper. It was 2-0 after 18 minutes when some scrappy play in the Lille box eventually saw the ball fall kindly to Naci Unuvar to net from close range and it was 3-0 on 36 minutes when Sontje Hansen and Regeer exchanged passes to cut open the defence with the former finishing expertly chipping the ball over the keeper.

The second half was pretty much a non event but deep into injury time, Ajax scored a fourth from substitute Christian Rasmussen with an angled drive under the keeper. One odd moment came at half time when some awful rap music was being played over the tannoy with very clear use of the F word in the lyrics. Don’t think I’ve ever heard that before at a football ground.

On to the evening match. Tickets weren’t available on general sale at all as they were only being sold as part of a package to members and season ticket holders. Fortunately, a request via the European Football weekends Facebook group found me someone who got me a ticket so big thanks go to that chap. I won’t go into much detail of the match which again Ajax won easily. Headed goals from Promes and Tagliafico with an Álvarez shot in between from an acute angle made up the goals with Ajax playing their party tricks and flicks in the second half, which the crowd appreciated. It was reported earlier that 100 Lille fans had been arrested or stopped from getting to the ground due to trouble earlier but I didn’t see anything at all and the Lille fans gave the Ajax team a standing ovation after the match when they came round the pitch to take the adulation of the crowd.

So, after a run of 9 successive away wins, this was my 3rd successive home win after the run stopped on Saturday when I saw Peterborough hit Rochdale for 6. All three matches have seen the away side fail to score, so will that be repeated at an FA Cup match at the weekend in the north west ?

Hornchurchspur
Youth Team Regular

Sep 18, 2019, 1:01 AM

Post #14 of 37 (3823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian North
Soham Town Rangers 2 Cambridge City 0
Admission £6 (concession) Attendance 179

Another dismal performance from Cambridge City who sink to 18th place in the league following this defeat. Having started the customary Isthmian three minutes late, City dominated the opening quarter of an hour, missing a couple of chances as well as having a goal ruled out for offside. However Soham's first serious attack brought a cross from the right which defender and attacker met together and the ball bounced into the net off Soham's Andrews. City had a golden chance to get back into the match immediately after half time when Bantick broke clear but a heavy touch allowed keeper Pope to grab the ball before Bantick could get a shot away. That was the nearest they came to scoring as a resolute Soham defence repelled all pressure on them and their hard running forwards always looked dangerous on the break. Three substitutions did nothing to improve City's effectiveness and all hope evaporated ten minutes from time when a Soham break was only stopped by a last ditch foul. The inevitable penalty followed which Allan dispatched decisively. City's misery was completed when right back Rolfe was shown a straight card, presumably for striking or kicking an opponent, whilst waiting for a free kick to be played into the box.

The win provided some revenge for Soham fans who hadn't forgotten their former manager Robbie Nightingale quitting to join City some three years ago. Nightingale's post match interview tonight was still upbeat, expressing confidence that his players were capable of performing better than recent results suggest. Frankly there were two poor teams on show tonight and, in common with Youngster's summary of the Felixstowe / City match on Saturday, it is hard to envisage either side finishing in the top half of the table next April. It looks like my pre-season £20 each way on City to win the league at 16/1 with sponsor BetVictor has been wasted.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 18, 2019, 1:24 AM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #15 of 37 (3811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NCAA 2 @ Warrior Stadium, Turlock. Admission £5. Free Teamsheet. Crowd 101 Official. (I counted 45).

Cal State Stanislaus 0 v 1 Texas Permian Basin (After GGET)

Just before KO they announced this was a non conference game, which I presumed meant a friendly but at half time a club official came and sat in the stand so I asked him if it was a friendly. Apparently these games do not count for league points as the teams are in different conferences, however the results count towards a teams' overall standing, whatever that means.

The Warrior Stadium has an athletics track and a large bleachers stand, so no cover and more sunscreen! Good viewing from the top though and the obligatory electronic scoreboard. Quite a long introduction as the announcers always introduce players individually. The announcer today gave the players place of birth and even their height!

Interesting game with low skill levels and poor finishing but entertaining nonetheless. Texas picked up two yellow cards both fully justified and were perhaps slightly the better side but 0-0 after 90 minutes looked inevitable from early on. Extra time is two ten minute periods but also golden goal, so when the visitors scored after 7:17 of extra time, that was it, game over. Relieved to have avoided the 0-0.

Henfield Bee
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 18, 2019, 6:00 AM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #16 of 37 (3697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Broadbridge Heath (1) 2 Crawley Down Gatwick (1) 2 ABANDONED IN EXTRA TIME Att 92. att inc prog £7
Sussex RUR Cup 1st round

The first game to go into extra time at the new ground and nobody had realised that the lights were on a timer which went off at 10.00. With a likely long delay before they might come back on the ref ad no real alternative other than to abandon what had been a really even match.

The current hole in the fence entrance is temporary with work on a new entrance commencing in october. Other than this the ground exceeded my expectations.

Cousin Connor Baston was on the bench for the visitors but failed to come on. Some old friends & work colleagues were met..shame the game didn't reach a conclusion..bit surprised the RUR still has extra-time!

Grounds this season 16: Total Ground visited 1647

nb: i will only post re new grounds when BurgessHill Bee doesn't..(since he's far better informed than I)

(This post was edited by Henfield Bee on Sep 18, 2019, 6:01 AM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 18, 2019, 6:21 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #17 of 37 (3681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
NCAA 2 @ Warrior Stadium, Turlock. Admission £5. Free Teamsheet. Crowd 101 Official. (I counted 45).

Cal State Stanislaus 0 v 1 Texas Permian Basin (After GGET)

The Warrior Stadium has an athletics track and a large bleachers stand, so no cover and more sunscreen! Good viewing from the top though and the obligatory electronic scoreboard. Quite a long introduction as the announcers always introduce players individually. The announcer today gave the players place of birth and even their height!

Some decent photos of ground.

https://warriorathletics.com/galleries/?gallery=19

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 111 / 94 / 17 / 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 21 / 11 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Sep 18, 2019, 6:22 AM)

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2019, 7:07 AM

Post #18 of 37 (3609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....A rare number of midweek Isthmian League fixtures rather than the rather pathetic array of Velocity Trophy matches to choose from. Either Hanwell or Tooting as preference, chose the latter....

Tooting and Mitcham United 4 v 0 Bedfont Sports - Isthmian League Division 1 South Central
Prog 24 pages £2.50* - Admission £10.00 - Att 165.

*Initial thoughts were 'ow much!! but it is just about worth it for a number of good articles that I would have read on the way back but was unable to as I had left my glasses on the table at home.

....Given the speedy start made by the hosts (eight wins in nine starts in all competitions) this was hardly an unexpected outcome. The visitors put in a decent defensive shift, however there was a wide gap in ability and shows that thus far it appears to be the case that there are a few very good teams but a lot of chaff in this division.

The start brought us the return of IST, in that the teams were out of the tunnel at 19.47 though by Isthmian standards the obligatory Respect hand clasps and team huddles were quickly concluded and we were away three minutes later. Tooting dominated from the commencement of proceedings and David Trivino in the visitors goal made the first of a number of keeping down the scoreline saves early on blocking a drive from Dominic Morgan-Griffiths with his knees. Morgan-Griffiths was the creator of the first goal with a powerful run down the left, low cross inside to Danny Bassett square on goal and his close range was half saved by Trivino but squirmed over the line.

Surprisingly, after taking the lead the hosts for a few minutes became complacent with a poor pass from Nathan Daly played straight into the path of Didi Ndombe who was afforded a clear run on goal. Fortunately, James Shaw was on hand to narrow the angle and block. The complacency was short lived with a penetrative run by Razzaq Coleman taking him virtually to the by line, decent low cross slightly behind David Casthano but the latter did well to wrap his foot around the ball and place past Trivino to double the lead. Morgan-Griffiths should have scored a third but was too leisurely in his approach but only a matter of minutes before the third goal arrived and it was one of those goals that brought several home stalwarts onto their feet applauding in appreciation. Started with R Coleman gathering possession just inside his own half, perhaps the visiting defence should have closed him down but he exploited the space and concluded with an exquisite perfectly placed lift over Trivino, which is worth a video of which is worth a moment or two of anyone's time on the T&MU Twitter.

Comfortable at half time, the question at half time was whether the hosts would 'push on' and improve their GD, which may be important in a division where the other swift starters Westfield and Hanwell are accruing healthy GD's or sit back conserve energy and rotate personnel in lieu of Saturday's FA Cup tie with Dorking Wanderers. Pity that the latter route was taken and after the excitement of the first half, there was little joy to be had in a featureless second period. All substitutes were used by the time that Casthano went down in considerable pain clutching at his knee meaning that for the final minutes, Tooting played with a player deficit. Not that it mattered in any way as the visitors barely registered as a threat. With two minutes left Jordan Aghatise caught Morgan-Griffiths as sped by leaving him on the ground and the man in black pointing in the direction of the penalty spot, which Omari Hibbert easily converted to conclude an easy win.

First visit to Imperial Fields for a Tooting game for at least three and a half years as recent trips coincided when Dulwich were temporarily in residence with their nearest and dearest rivals. Walked out from Morden LU and forgot about the fact that the bridge over the River Wandle is temporarily blocked due to gas works. Fortunately as arrival was not the earliest, there is a temporary footpath through neighbouring woodland and on the return journey this was lit. Usual late evening LU,DLR & c2c joined up return and indoors for 23.40.....

mxhornet
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2019, 8:36 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #19 of 37 (3422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich United - 1 Kirkley & Pakefield - 1
Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division
Plantation Park
Attendance - possibly around 200 didn't really count (expected to know an official figure by now)
Admission - £8
Programme - £1 (Barnes Print)

Lack of other local alternatives meant that another local hopper who dislikes the ground and the lack of goals when he visits was present. It certainly seemed like he'd brought the curse with him last night after a goalless and not particularly entertaining first half. Perhaps the second half would better, NU scoring after just a minute and K&P also looking more up for it, though they had to wait until 85 minutes for their equaliser courtesy of an own goal.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 18, 2019, 10:52 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #20 of 37 (3123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Almondsbury, coffee was £1 and a pasty £1.50. Friendly locals and a warm welcome. Good to have a long chin wag with Clevedon Paul.

As for the game, Exmouth led 4-0 without trying and the game was rather slow paced. In the 2nd half Exmouth didn't bother at all and the Almonds got a late deflected consolation. It does surprise me that the home team could beat anyone and if they did they would be bad.

Despite the usual closure between J1 and 2 I was home for 1115pm.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

pilgrim46
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 18, 2019, 1:01 PM

Team(s): Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall

Post #21 of 37 (2861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SWPL Premier Division East

Plymouth Marjon 1-3 Ivybridge Town (0-1 H/T)
Adm £2 - Att 80-100

Ivybridge controlled this game from the start & cruised to victory. They took the lead on 10 minutes & the only surprise was it took them until halfway through the 2nd half before adding to their lead. A third goal 10 minutes later confirmed the win but credit to Marjon who never stopped trying & deservedly got 1 back at the end. Since my last visit here they are now implementing parking charges for the Sports Centre car park right behind the cage. If you come here by car you'll either have to pay £3 for 2 hours or park in the overflow car park behind the Main Building.

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2019, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #22 of 37 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not the non-league .. but an evening out with Mrs hh .. Tongue

Portsmouth 2-2 Burton Albion (EFL, Division 1)
- played at Fratton Park, Frogmore Road, Portsmouth from 7.45pm

Att – 16,610 (incl 116 Brewers visitors); Entry – a lot more than normal; Prog - £3; Refreshment - available
Weather – the nice warm evening’s continue
Travel – cross town saunter .. me driving .. Mrs hh steering.
Colours – traditional blue tops and white shorts for the hosts .. all yellow for the Brewers

Oh dear .. this could be a long winter in Mrs hh’s football season .. not exactly helped by the fact that I had to tell her around the hour mark, that Pompey had been playing against ten men since the 25th minute .. she not realising the defender had seen two yellow cards and that had meant a red (two "last mannish" tackles). So, to her frustration, the unfolding game was compounded .. especially as she knows Pompey can’t beat ten men .. and in fact, they can’t beat nine (just ask Coventry City FC) .. so, by the time we got to 90 +4 and Super Brett had whacked in the penalty, to steal a point .. even she had run out of ideas, in working out what was going on with Mr Jackett's selections and tactical plan.

Full credit to Burton .. scored early with simple stuff .. defended admirably all around the park .. and then got undone by the Ref .. as the home support drifted off comparing notes on tonight's display, lack of confidence in individuals and unfortunately the “team” aspect not quite gelling yet .. lose at Wycombe on Saturday, then the arrival of Southampton next Tuesday will be entertaining to say the least.

No changes to the ground .. some extra fast food outlets available outside the Fratton End of the ground .. although no real atmosphere inside this night .. the fans patience beginning to wear thin with another disappointing performance .. however, for me a night out with my wife .. and as she’s a half glass full kind of girl, she’ll be back to see what’s offer next time around .. and they won’t come much bigger than that game .. as they've been waiting seven years .. Wink

Grounds = 636, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 97; New Grounds (19/20) = 80; Goals (19/20) = 422; Ave goals/game = 4.35; Last new ground = Hanwell Town; Next = Sat 23rd Nov 2019

stingray
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2019, 1:23 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #23 of 37 (2805 views)
Shortcut

Southern League Central
BARTON ROVERS 1-3 HALESOWEN TOWN
Admission £8.00 Programme £2.00 50/50 draw £2.00 Pasties £2.00 each Tea/Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance n/k would hazard a guess at around 75

The departure of Crawley Green, the possibility of Ultra Culture and the spectre of online issuing caused me to swerve Sharpenhoe Road last season, but I thought there was nothing to lose by making a return visit, even if it would only turn out to be a one-off. After all, after Bell Close and Underhill, this is my most frequently visited venue.

Thankfully nothing (well, very little) has changed. Huge piles of grit in the car park (which was fuller than I've ever seen it) suggested that at last efforts were being made to smooth it over which is just as well as I have something of a loose suspension - although that may be down to the pasties. The outside food unit was closed due to the previous occupants no longer being involved, so the only hot food was the aforementioned pasties which were hot enough to burn the roof of your mouth. Barton does have a chip shop which I may frequent on any next visit. The main change is that Barton have become the latest club to hand over part of the room to a children's nursery which means that any darts/pool players have to move into the other bar and the food hatch is no longer accessible.

As for the game - well it was largely dominated by Halesowen who broke the deadlock on 20 minutes and then doubled their advantage five minutes later. Barton did get one back before half time, but on the hour mark Halesowen won a penalty which was disputed somewhat too hotly for the referee's liking and earned the culprit first refusal on the hot water. Such was his anger that one of his team mates had to restrain him and as the miscreant headed towards the dressing room, he ripped his shirt off. The penalty was converted to the delight of the Halesowen faithful.

Unfortunately, they (and I'm sorry to say their officials) blotted their copybook when shortly afterwards, the referee sustained an injury and had to be helped from the pitch. Phone calls were made to various bodies seeking a replacement yet none was to be found and I'm not sure what else Halesowen think Barton could have done under the circumstances. Suffice to say, the remaining half hour was played (after a half-hour delay) with only one linesman and even then, there were mutterings over whether or not the other linesman (now in the role of referee) was actually qualified to handle a Step 4 match.

2019/20 stats

55 goals in 15 games
£150.75 spent

Rebel Yeller
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 18, 2019, 3:51 PM

Team(s): Hopper

Post #24 of 37 (2579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spartan South Midland Division 2

Berkhamsted Raiders 2 Pitstone & Ivinghoe 1

Free entry. No programme. Attendance - h/c 30. A cool but dry evening, First outing for the winter football coat.

This was BR's first game at their new home sharing with Kings Langley so was a handy local tick for me. They've started well (4 wins from 4) and are clearly making a bid for Step 6. Attendance pretty much Step 7 standard number.

First half fairly even in a pretty fast paced game. P&I scored on 13, when a bit of poor defending by BR enabled the away 11 to slot the ball in. This knocked BR back a bit and they didn't create much for the remainder of the half. After the half time hairdryer from the manager the home side were much better in the second half. They equalised on 56 when the BR 9 was fouled in the box ( he was definitely looking for it) and his colleague 6 despatched the kick. Even then BR couldn't fully assert their authority and P&I continued to be a thorn in their side. Finally, on 79, after some excellent play from MoM BR 10, our friend 9 fired home the winner. Relieved sighs from the home bench. The P&I manager, however, was one of the noisiest and loudest I've heard in a long time.

BR made hard work of this and P&I could feel a little aggrieved that they ended up with nothing. An enjoyable evening, although the match was a touch feisty in places.

M25 a bit claggy going there and it took me 55 minutes. Empty coming back though and the journey completed in a pretty nippy 33 minutes.

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 18, 2019, 5:04 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Peterborough Sports

Post #25 of 37 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rebel Yeller] Tuesday 17th September [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northants Cup
Peterborough northern star 0 Peterborough Sports 9
£5 adults attendance 122
Ground is close to the 5 bus route or about 30 minutes walk from the town.hot food on sale chips £1.50 and a burger £3
Plenty of parking onsite,not one of the best UCL grounds but if they enclosed one side it would improve it a lot.
2 nil at halftime to a team I was expecting a few more changes in,with the FA Cup game at stortford a few days away.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3