Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
General Election 2019

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Next page Last page  View All

007Dale
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 12:23 PM

Post #151 of 596 (841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Massive blow to Labour and the Remoaners:

Brexit Party to stand aside in 317 seats won by Tories at the last election.

All resources to be poured into challenging Labour.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 12:25 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #152 of 596 (841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
It still amazes me how he got off lightly by not Delivering brexit on 31st October .He never said we only be leaving on 31st October if the opposition parties or his brexit opponents were to fall in line with him, did he?

We will leave 31st October Do or die he said!

This post just shows how out of touch you are and how your thinking is tainted by your extremism.

There isn't a single Leave voter who will hold it against Boris that we didn't Leave the EU on Oct 31. Not one.

Not leaving on Oct 31 will win the Tories this election!!

So he wasn't lying to you then when he said We would leave 31st October, Do or Die!

There is a difference between lying and being wrong. Lying is not a good practice for a Prime Minister. Being wrong is not much, if any, better.

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 11, 2019, 3:33 PM

Post #153 of 596 (766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Make No difference in most of those seats
---------------------------------------

EDIT: Reply below wasn't showing when first posted

Make No difference in most of those seats. It may save a few seats.

Farage would have done more damage if he'd stood candidates down in Labour held, Tory 2nd marginals, where the Brexit party will split the vote still if it doesn't withdraw more candidates.

Also him saying vote Conservative could backfire on him and push some left leaning leavers back to Labour.

Overall probably helps the Conservatives but not by as much as many may think, in my opinion.

(This post was edited by TroubleAtMill on Nov 11, 2019, 3:37 PM)

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 11, 2019, 4:20 PM

Post #154 of 596 (742 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Will totally backfire. People will see that an extreme right wing party will now be backed by a more extremer Right wing party.

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 11, 2019, 4:45 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #155 of 596 (709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Will totally backfire. People will see that an extreme right wing party will now be backed by a more extremer Right wing party.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who like voting for such parties. It's called 'populism' and there has been plenty of it throughout Europe over the last few years, arguably stoked by the fallout from 9/11 and the wars that followed it.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 5:40 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #156 of 596 (671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who like voting for such parties. It's called 'populism' and there has been plenty of it throughout Europe over the last few years, arguably stoked by the fallout from 9/11 and the wars that followed it.

Populism is a vague term which generally refers to the general populations political aspirations when pitted against powerful elites.

It is by no means only the preserve of right wing parties and encompasses far left parties in Italy and Venezuela alongside our own Labour Party.

As far as the UK is concerned what could represent the people's feelings, or populism, better than the current Labour Party's slogan......FOR THE MANY NOT THE FEW. ?

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Nov 11, 2019, 5:48 PM)

PaulC

Nov 11, 2019, 5:45 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #157 of 596 (669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I was listening to WATO today and people in Boston were being interviewed.

My god, there are a lot of thick Tory-voting Brexiteers down there, fed on the garbage dished out to them by the English Tory press.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #158 of 596 (667 views)
Shortcut

If the currently Marxist led Labour Party is not guilty of populism with their clarion call of .... FOR THE MANY, NOT THE FEW.... then what is?

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 5:53 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #159 of 596 (666 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Looks like a big boost for the Tories.

And there'll be more pressure on the Brexit Party to step aside in other Tory target seats. Perhaps Farage will eventually settle for the peerage that's been dangled in front of him as a consolation prize.

But there's still plenty of time for something unexpected to crop up and throw a spanner in the works.

Polling isn't tomorrow.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 11, 2019, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #160 of 596 (647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In my case, as a Remainer and Lib Dem, it would seem I'd have an easy time deciding who to vote for. In actuality I'm stuck with the fact that Leave won in 2016 by well over a million votes. I still think Brexit is a serious mistake with negative consequences including the possibility of it leading to the break up of the UK, but it would be an even worse and dangerous mistake to try to ignore a clear democratic decision by the electorate.

Easily reconciled. Now we're all getting to make another democratic decision but this time with (1) some degree of benefit of hindsight and (2) the chance to scrutinise how leave/remain will interplay with the full suite of other policies put forward by each party.

So, whatever anyone's preference and whatever the outcome of the election, nobody can dispute that the electorate will have been able to make a more informed decision this time than three years ago. Though dogma will, of course, still be a factor.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 11, 2019, 6:39 PM

Post #161 of 596 (636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ex-Tory MP Nick Boles not holding back on Boris Johnson:

"A compulsive liar who has betrayed every single person he has ever had dealings with: every woman who has ever loved him, every member of his family, every friend, every colleague, every employee, every constituent."

I need to have the last word, as it always looks as if I am right !

Yatesman
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 7:26 PM

Team(s):

Post #162 of 596 (602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Looks like a big boost for the Tories.

And there'll be more pressure on the Brexit Party to step aside in other Tory target seats. Perhaps Farage will eventually settle for the peerage that's been dangled in front of him as a consolation prize.

But there's still plenty of time for something unexpected to crop up and throw a spanner in the works.

Polling isn't tomorrow.

Would be ironic and hypocritial seeing as The Brexit Party ( rightly imo) want to abolish the HoLords!

Yatesman
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 7:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #163 of 596 (598 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

My god, there are a lot of thick Tory-voting Brexiteers down there, fed on the garbage dished out to them by the English Tory press.

How did we ever permit them to have the vote??

It's just not fair!

Yatesman
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 8:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #164 of 596 (567 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Boris Johnson perfectly assessed by Owen Jones in one and a half minutes.

https://twitter.com/...508640407334918?s=20

So you're saying vote Brexit Party then?

Tbh Owen Jones is a humourless gimp and is as annoying as f***.

I wooulld imagine that if you are a Leave voter and your conundrum is whether to vote for a PM who tells a few minor Porkie Pies or vote for any number of Political Parties who tell blatant whopping great lies ( Tuition Fees U-Turn , Bedroom Tax U-Turn, Support for Austerity, Once in a generation IndyRef, ) and intend to deny you your democratic rights then I guess Boris seems a reasonable choice because honouring Democracy goes to the very heart of our Culture and Society.

Whereas everyone has told a wee white lie or twa!

Personally, I'm too realistic and honest to expect our politicians to Walk on Water be Whiter Than White or to Never Make a Mistake.......

But I do expect them to Honour a legal Democratic Plebiscite.

007Dale
First Team Star

Post #165 of 596 (565 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

It’s a shame that you feel the need to insult Brexit voters. I’d suggest anyone needing to belittle people like that has already lost the argument.

steve walker
Administrator

Team(s):

Post #166 of 596 (564 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

This sort of language really doesn't help you make a point. Not everyone that disagrees with you is "thick".

Nor does Yatesman using silly made up names for politicians. I mean "Emily SnootyBerry" "Dianne Abbacus". Really.... is that supposed to be funny?

Come on people we can do better than this in our General Election discussion surely? We don't have to set the bar as low as the standards in the House of Commons, we can surely have an intelligent debate on the subject of an election without going down to that level?

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 11, 2019, 8:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #167 of 596 (558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

STOP using asterixis and an x to get around the swear filter. You do it multiple times and I'm not going to warn you again.

I don't have an under age policy on forum registration please bear that in mind.

Thanks

Yatesman
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 8:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #168 of 596 (524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
STOP using asterixis and an x to get around the swear filter. You do it multiple times and I'm not going to warn you again.

I don't have an under age policy on forum registration please bear that in mind.

Thanks

Sorry......but sometimes a good Anglo-Saxon perjoritive just really hits the mark.

Yatesman
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 8:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #169 of 596 (522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This sort of language really doesn't help you make a point. Not everyone that disagrees with you is "thick".

Nor does Yatesman using silly made up names for politicians. I mean "Emily SnootyBerry" "Dianne Abbacus". Really.... is that supposed to be funny?

Come on people we can do better than this in our General Election discussion surely? We don't have to set the bar as low as the standards in the House of Commons, we can surely have an intelligent debate on the subject of an election without going down to that level?

I thought it was bloomin' hilarious!

Yatesman
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 9:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #170 of 596 (508 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

It’s a shame that you feel the need to insult Brexit voters. I’d suggest anyone needing to belittle people like that has already lost the argument.

Exactement, Monsieur, C'est vrai ca !

Mais, Il y a partisans de Brexit a travers le pays.

Pas seulement dans l'est.

PaulC

Nov 11, 2019, 9:07 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #171 of 596 (507 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Listen and weep at their stupidity

“I’m voting out, is that what it’s about?
“No, it’s a General Election
“Oh, I don’t vote in them ones. I stay out of them.”

“I can’t stand Jeremy Corbyn, he hates the country”

“Deputy leader of the Labour party, resigned, former Labour MP told people not to vote Conservative, Rees-Mogg was talking about Grenfell, .... did you hear any of that?

1st person “I’ve got grandkids, I don’t really watch telly”

2nd person “ No, no, not really heard anything of that. No.”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b4qm
30 mins

The most pro-Brexit town in the UK.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 9:17 PM

Post #172 of 596 (501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] General Election 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Perhaps Farage will eventually settle for the peerage that's been dangled in front of him as a consolation prize.

Would be ironic and hypocritial seeing as The Brexit Party ( rightly imo) want to abolish the HoLords!

I'm also in favour of abolition of the House of Lords or at the very least extreme reform and drastic reduction in numbers. Too many of those currently collecting their attendance fees are ex MPs who were pretty useless (or worse) when in the Commons but could only be prised out of their HofC seats by the bribe of elevation to the Lords.

I suspect Farage's opposition to it is fuelled by it being, in his words, "stuffed full of remainers". I think he also realises it has become little more than a pleasant debating society/club for has-beens and nonentities.

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 11, 2019, 9:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #173 of 596 (498 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thanks

Sorry......but sometimes a good Anglo-Saxon perjoritive just really hits the mark.

Okay you really don't understand what I am saying do you if that even was an apology. If it was I don't want an apology... I want you to stop doing it.

There are parents who let their young kids access here because it's a non league football forum which should be a pretty safe place to discuss non league football. They don't expect their kids to be reading your "Anglo-Saxon" in this section. It wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else on this forum if it was reported.

I'm not being over precious on this.... kids hear language that is not appropriate all the time I am sure... no reason to extend that here and you keep doing it so please stop, that's all I am asking.

Thanks... Steve

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 11, 2019, 9:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #174 of 596 (483 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Listen and weep at their stupidity

“I’m voting out, is that what it’s about?
“No, it’s a General Election
“Oh, I don’t vote in them ones. I stay out of them.”

“I can’t stand Jeremy Corbyn, he hates the country”

“Deputy leader of the Labour party, resigned, former Labour MP told people not to vote Conservative, Rees-Mogg was talking about Grenfell, .... did you hear any of that?

1st person “I’ve got grandkids, I don’t really watch telly”

2nd person “ No, no, not really heard anything of that. No.”
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b4qm
30 mins

No PaulC listen and weep that you think you are so much better. I'm sure all sides can come up with voxpops like this if they want to.

You don't know how that was edited, you don't know how many people they interviewed that didn't get included.

I'm going to give one last appeal. Please lets have an intelligent discussion thread on the subject of a General Election. If we can't then lets just stick to the football.

Thanks... Steve

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 9:32 PM

Post #175 of 596 (482 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

What struck me was how little events in the Westminster bubble seemed to register with them. The happenings that excite the political reporters don't even get noticed by them.

At heart it seems to be that they reckon they and their futures and well being have been ignored by Westminster for decades and Cameron gave them the opportunity to show how dissatisfied they were with their lot in life.

My local constituency of North East Derbyshire and the nearby constituency of Mansfield fell to the Tories in the 2017 GE. Those are seats that had been solid Labour for many decades. Their story of turning from Labour could well be repeated in many 2016 Leave voting areas.

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3