Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 9th November 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

BDA_85
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 12:46 PM

Post #51 of 67 (2285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Shefford and Campton 4 Hillingdon Borough 1 South Midlands League Division 1
Admission 5/2.50
Programme- free with entry.
Tea 1
h/c 46
It's large but strangely short of seating.
It was nice to chat briefly to a fellow poster on this site. The journey home through heavy rain wasn't much fun, but I arrived home safely. I should add that apparently Shefford have very few games called off as their pitch is well drained.

+1 here

Pleasure to meet you too. I also noted the lack of seating. No spectator seating available around the pitch and the clubhouse is too far set back to provide a decent enough view. Many people remained in the clubhouse such was the constant rain.
I had added ST&C to the pitches with good drainage prior to reading your post so good to see we are in agreement.

Compared to some other teams in this division the parking situation here is very good, even though I arrived shortly before KO. Expect ST&C to be there or thereabouts when the top 4 teams are promoted in April.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 11, 2019, 1:36 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #52 of 67 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
FA Cup 1
Carshalton 1-4 Boston U
Att 1,859, adm 10, prog online

Incidentally admission here is only a fiver before 2pm.

I don't think it was - it was food at the snack bar that was half price until 2pm.

Interesting, as I was slightly surprised to read about the early doors half price admission on the morning of the game. I know they always have the half price food offer and they have had (and might still have) a sign-up scheme that entitles you to discounted admission if arriving before a certain time, though I thought that was only for league games. I see they're not advertising it ahead of Tuesday's Trophy game but I'll keep an eye on it for a future league game.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 4:40 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #53 of 67 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
FA Trrophy 2nd Round Qual
Atherton Collieries v Morpeth Town 2-1 (adm 8, prog 2 , att 216)

After a lot of dithering, I eventually settled on a revisit to Alder House on a cold, grey day.
The home team went ahead through Josh Thompson on 31 and Tom Bentham on 51 before Josh Henderson pulled a goal back on 83. Henderson was also sent off in injury time following an incident with the goalkeeper.
I was quite struck how Alder House has changed very little despite Colls' rapid rise up the pyramid in recent years, and, to be positive, has retained all its idiosyncrasies. On the same theme of being a throwback, the GBG listed Wheatsheaf had a very traditional atmosphere, was very busy and sold all its cask ales at 1.95.

Don't make me dig out my post from the other week with all of the changes that have been made to please the ground graders post-NWCFL Smile

As it is, I'd have been much better served going to the Colls game rather than freezing my wotsits off at Bolton Wanderers 0 Plymouth Argyle 1 (admission £17 for t'lad and I, attendance just short of 7,000). Very uninspiring fare, with the Bolton side looking as cold and disinterested as much of the fans in attendance. Not a classic. And with Burton, Doncaster and Lincoln all going to replays, there doesn't look to be much scope in re-arranging one of the three league games in hand for 2nd Round weekend.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 6:03 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #54 of 67 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a small point, and I know why you called it the Kettering Road ground, but to be precise the proper name which was always used by the club since 1894 was the Wothorpe Road ground, I seem to remember on my visits the entrance was in that road.

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #55 of 67 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My visit was for an FA Cup tie v the Boro 1-1 in the early days of the APL as it was called then .
I've had a few problems deciding what to enter both grounds as in my records as both seem to go under more than one name and i don't like using sponsors names .

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 8:02 PM

Post #56 of 67 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had to look where Kettering Road was when I saw it in your report I must admit. In any correspondence over the years, in the two Non League football Grounds of Great Britain and in all the forty something Non League Digests it has always been Wothorpe Road.

1982 was the 1-1 draw with Boro', I was also there that day, Boro won 5-0 in the replay. I have been about five times altogether, usually on the train, fascinating town, superb pubs and of course I also went to Mirrlees Blackstone which is a good walk from the station up Lincoln Road but well worth it I thought.

kirby knitters

Nov 11, 2019, 8:16 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #57 of 67 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry to butt in on the Nuneaton thing chaps but I was sat in the Spoons in Coalville on Saturday before the AFC v Chelmsley game when I heard it was off. Looking for a nearby fixture and I saw that Ashby had announced the game against Griff in the same league was ON!! Boy did I dodge a bullet by deciding not to bother with that one!

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 8:30 PM

Post #58 of 67 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

To say that we were not happy is an understatement KK, players had changed and started warming up but it was obvious parts of the pitch were unplayable! They were supposed to have had an inspection earlier but whether they did we are not sure.Mad

kirby knitters

Nov 11, 2019, 9:46 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #59 of 67 (1461 views)
Shortcut

They certainly gave the impression that an early inspection was taking place but all evidence of that has now been deleted from the twitter feed. If parts of the surface were unplayable then any inspection would have failed as there was no rain in the area. Make what you will of that one pal.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 11, 2019, 9:58 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #60 of 67 (1446 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Just a small point, and I know why you called it the Kettering Road ground, but to be precise the proper name which was always used by the club since 1894 was the Wothorpe Road ground, I seem to remember on my visits the entrance was in that road.

I think the ground entrance was changed from Wothorpe Road to Kettering Road only a couple of years or so before the club moved to Borderville, as I recall reading an item in 'Traveller' magazine explaining why the ground address in the magazine's club directory had changed. I've still got the relevant copy of the magazine but it would take me ages to find this particular issue.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Nov 11, 2019, 10:08 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #61 of 67 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

After a lot of dithering, I eventually settled on a revisit to Alder House on a cold, grey day.
The home team went ahead through Josh Thompson on 31 and Tom Bentham on 51 before Josh Henderson pulled a goal back on 83. Henderson was also sent off in injury time following an incident with the goalkeeper.
I was quite struck how Alder House has changed very little despite Colls' rapid rise up the pyramid in recent years, and, to be positive, has retained all its idiosyncrasies. On the same theme of being a throwback, the GBG listed Wheatsheaf had a very traditional atmosphere, was very busy and sold all its cask ales at 1.95.

Don't make me dig out my post from the other week with all of the changes that have been made to please the ground graders post-NWCFL Smile

I am sure it must be disapppinting for Colls' hard working volunteers ( one of whom called me "gorgeous" when he was selling me a raffle ticket!) to have their ground improvements missed, so I am sorry for that. I think I will rephrase it to say that the ground has retained its original character and ambience.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 11:04 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #62 of 67 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at this one, my first visit to Spa Road. City dominated the first half, Witham played much better 2nd half and for a while City looked more than capable of allowing a two goal lead to slip. However, City got their mojo back towards the end and had chances to extend their lead.
Fatcat - definitely the first game between the clubs at first team level. I have seen the clubs play each other before though - City reserves beat Witham Town reserves in the Fred Budden Trophy semi final at Milton Road in March 1989.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 11:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #63 of 67 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Premier League
Newcastle United 2-1 AFC Bournemouth
Attendance 44,424 (about 1,000 away fans)
Ticket 30 - Programme 3

Disappointing defeat for Cherries after such a bright start with Harry Wilson's 14th minute opener, a great first time finish from Josh King's cut back from the left goal line. Newcastle's forwards, despite not being able to score themselves, gave our defenders far less time to play the ball out than Man Utd last week and as a result we were giving the ball away far too often and it seemed only a matter of time before we were punished for it and, just before half time, a cross from the left and Deandre Yedlin headed into an open goal when he looked a mile offside but, despite a VAR check, the goal was allowed to stand. Newcastle's 7th goal of their last 9 to be scored by a defender came in the 52nd minute when Ciaran Clark bravely got on the end a through ball to score from close range. No changes to St James Park since last visit in 2016, a 3-1 win which sealed Steve McLaren's fate but the long and tiring climb up the endless staircase to the away section up in the gods made me realize I'm not as young as I used to bePirate. Caught the train over from Carlisle, my base for two nights, passing the grounds of Tynedale eggchasers and Dunston Federation Brewery en route.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Nov 12, 2019, 8:53 AM

Post #64 of 67 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think the ground entrance was changed from Wothorpe Road to Kettering Road only a couple of years or so before the club moved to Borderville, as I recall reading an item in 'Traveller' magazine explaining why the ground address in the magazine's club directory had changed.

I can't remember seeing that Chris1963 but will take your word on it so thank you for pointing it out. It does seem starnge to alter it after all those years

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Nov 12, 2019, 11:06 AM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #65 of 67 (960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent summing up by ashtree rockbee - I wouldn't disagree with anything he wrote and it was great to have a good natter!
All I would add was that I was extremely impressed with the fare on show and now feel enthused to try to complete this league especially as I have done many of the grounds when the clubs were in the CCL. Consequently I only have six left to do.
Never a good idea going to a beer festival on a Saturday evening but circumstances dictated that on this occasion. As I expected many of the more interesting beers had already gone.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Nov 12, 2019, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #66 of 67 (912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I am sure it must be disapppinting for Colls' hard working volunteers ( one of whom called me "gorgeous" when he was selling me a raffle ticket!) to have their ground improvements missed, so I am sorry for that. I think I will rephrase it to say that the ground has retained its original character and ambience.

A fair rephrasing Smile

I certainly can't claim any credit for the work that has gone on and it's probably only because of my involvement in previous NPL ground inspections that I notice the work that has gone in. I suppose being there regularly probably helps as well (though even then it took me 45 minutes of the game the other week to notice the new directors cabin next to the dressing rooms).

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Nov 15, 2019, 9:53 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #67 of 67 (205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Haverhill Borough 7 (SEVEN) v 1 Kings Lynn Town Reserves ECL Div 1 North Admission 6 Prog Online Att 24 my h/c 36 HotDrinks 1.20 to 2.00
With Haverhill tweeting the match would be on the 3G rather myself and Henfield Bee decided to head here. The main building was open so the toilets could be used and the teams used the changing rooms, however the bar etc was closed. Inside the 3G Cage there was a tea bar which had BT Sports on and also was doing some hot food as well as drinks. The ground is 1 and a bit sided with small covered standing and seating areas to meet the required grading. Both teams started the day near the bottom of the table, Kings Lynn turned up with a youthful looking side and didn't really get a look in 2-0 down inside half an hour Kings Lynn cause was not helped when a defender saw red for an off the ball incident and by half time it was 4-0. Kings Lynn attacked a lot better in the second half but their number 10 had a penalty saved, he also missed a couple of decent chances and then ended up in the sin bin near the end. Haverhill made it 5-0 before Kings Lynn got their deserved consolation, Haverhill added 2 late goals to make it 7 by the end.Rain stayed away until the end of the game.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3