Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
16th november

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

chesterbird
Youth Team Regular

Nov 16, 2019, 4:55 PM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #1 of 63 (6527 views)
Shortcut
16th november Can't Post or Reply Privately

16th November
Huddersfield FA cup 13.45pm

Netherton v Cumberworth 4-2 no adm or prog att varied but around a dozen.

A good game on a fairly dry but dismal afternoon.After a quiet start, home side took the lead with a cross cum shot on 16 mins only for Cumberworth to level inside a minute with a scrambled equaliser,Worth then took the lead with a belter of a goal from around 25 yards and looked the better side for a while.HT 1-2

After the short 3 min turnaround Netherton improved and scored a deserved leveller after about 60 mins-game then was theirs for the taking and two goals fairly late on gave the home side the win.

Home for around 15.45 and pre match just had a quick half in the excellent Netherton and South Crosland conservative club--Hophurst Quench being the beer i tried.

Chesterbird working for next 5 saturdays so hubby doing reports.

osborne
First Team Sub

Nov 16, 2019, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #2 of 63 (6511 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Acorn Albion 8 South Normanton Colts 2 Midland Regional Alliance Division 2
Admission/programme-none
Coffee £1.30 in Sports and Social Club (They didn't do tea!)
h/c 8
With the recent heavy rain I didn't fancy a long trip. Earlier in the season I noticed that Acorn Albion had moved to Marston Brewery Sports and Social Ground, a ground I'd driven past on the A38 many times, but I'd never seen a game there.
A decent sized car park greets the visitor and I dashed off for a sneaky visit to the brewery shop. Next to the car park is the large social club. In front of this are two mini-pitches, then a bowls club and finally the football ground at the far end. The changing rooms are located nearer to the pitch. The ground is basic with just dugouts on the A38 side of the pitch.
The game saw Albion top of the league and very quickly they took the lead only for the visitors to equalise. two more home goals saw the score 3-1 at half time. The second half saw Acorn go 7-1 up only for Normanton to score a second. A penalty in the last few moments made it 8-2. I was impressed with the standard of football on show considering how low level this was. It was slow, but both sides tried to play good passing football. A word also for the ref who I thought handled the game very well and applied the laws of the game with common sense.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 16, 2019, 5:31 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 63 (6496 views)
Shortcut

MFL 1

Leicester Road 1 Kirby Muxloe 0.

A hard fought win and a deserved three points for Knitters who got stronger as the game went on. KM had numerous chances but failed to convert any or this would have been a much more interesting afternoon. As it happened a superb Matty Langham goal on nine minutes was all that was required. An appearance from GTV got me back to Kirby for 17:10 (Royal Oak not club!!!) which was very welcome.

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Nov 16, 2019, 6:00 PM)

Henfield Bee
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2019, 5:52 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #4 of 63 (6464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ide Hill 0 Kings Hill (0) 1 Kent Co. Lge - att 46 h/c - at Wrotham school 3G.

Kings kept up their title challenge and in so doing dented the home side's. The better side won having created far more chances throughout.
An official tells me that it is likely Ide Hill will be playing all matches at the school until the end of the season...….

New Grounds this season 27: Total Grounds visited 1659

nb: i will only post re new grounds when BurgessHill Bee doesn't..(since he's far better informed than I)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 6:04 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #5 of 63 (6432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hampshire Premier League Division 1

QK Southampton 3 Kingsclere 3

admission none programme none (whiteboard used) attendance 12 h/c
2nd/12 v 7th/12
It's now 43 goals in 8 league games (and 20 in 3 Cup games) involving Kingsclere this season. Today there was only six goals but an entertaining match could have gone either way. In the end a late goal preserved QK's unbeaten league record and (just) keeps them top of the pack chasing runaway leaders Moneyfields Res. QK had a few players missing and played an outfield player (Regular) in goal due to the usual custodian attending his daughter's birthday party.
I expected the visitors to be dangerous coming forward and less convincing at the back, and so it proved. They started well and particularly threatened down the left, an early move saw L.Hamilton curl a shot just over. He then had another shot saved by Regular, who looked very much at home between the sticks, soon after. The hosts had a shout for a penalty as Hussey fell in the box, and then a great cross from the left was just missed by Whitemore. Whitemore's header from a corner then produced a good save from O'Halan. The visitors took the lead on 18 mins as another break down the left saw a good interchange between L.Hamilton and J.Stockwell, the former tucking his shot in at the near post. QK came back and Ecclestone had a shot just wide, then they equalised on 23 mins as O'Halan's attempted pass out to a team-mate was intercepted by Ecclestone, who finished coolly. After another shot from Whitemore went close, the visitors had several chances to retake the lead; after QK failed to clear, J.Stockwell hit the post; he then had another shot over, and then L.Hamilton was out through and Regular made a great block, the rebound being put over by L.Hamilton. In between some hesitancy in the visiting defence saw Ecclestone stab a shot against the post. On 39 mins it was QK who took the lead as M.Lakeman's shot was deflected into the path of Hussey, whose first-time shot found the net. Both sides then made defensive errors, allowing Ecclestone (QK) and D.Stockwell (Kings) to test the keepers out, but it stayed HT 2-1.
The visitors came out after the break and put the pressure on, and it got quite competitive. The deserved equaliser came after 56 mins when the home defence gave the ball away and J.Stockwell ran on and produced a good finish. Seven mins later the game was again turned on its head as a good cross from the right was headed in by the same player, with the ref ignoring the home linesman's offside flag. QK rolled their sleeves up and came back into the game, but there few further chances until the last ten mins. A lovely chip then found the visitors' S.Fowler free in the middle, but his header was saved by Regular. S.Fowler then made space for himself in the area, but shot wide. QK never gave up and got their reward two mins from time as Whitemore's header was saved, but sub Almeida scrambled in the rebound. Both teams went for the win but the visitors came closer to it - firstly, S.Hamilton made some space but his shot was saved, and then J.Stockwell went through and scored, but this time the ref agreed with the home linesman's flag. Not been to QK for a while, but the usual warm welcome at Lordshill Rec - parking was down at the Millbrook Rugby club, then across the soggy surrounds to 'Stadium QK'. Railed off with a U-shape of portakabins, with home/away changing rooms flanking a well-stocked refeshment area, with seats outside, it has a homely feel. A new toilet block nearby has added to the facilities, as did regular loudspeaker announcements for the spectators. Floodlight permission has been obtained, so when some money comes in.....
As well as the usual abysmal Southampton traffic lights in the trek across town, there are also loads of roadworks all over the place. Nobody working on them today, of course, but they contributed massively to the customary traffic jams and ensuing pollution, the latter of which the council always promises to try and improve.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 16, 2019, 7:02 PM)

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Nov 16, 2019, 6:08 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #6 of 63 (6414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich Town Under 18s 2 Exeter City Under 18s 1
FA Youth Cup, 2nd Round
Portman Road

Admission: £ 3
Programme: £1
Attendance: 200 plus h/c

Ipswich dominated the first half and went in at the break two up and Exeter had offered little threat.

Second half was scrappier, Ipswich had most of the ball and numerous chances however could not add to their tally and it was Exeter who got the only goal of the half making the last few minutes more nervy than they should have been for Ipswich.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Dribble! on Nov 16, 2019, 6:45 PM)

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 6:30 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #7 of 63 (6358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Central & South Norfolk League (Barnes Print) Division 1 (top div)
Rockland Utd 1 (81)
Hethersett Athletic 3 (45+, 47 & 77)
KO: 14:00 Att: 13 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: Playing Field, Green Lane, Rockland
(village sign says ‘Rocklands’ while I thought it’s Rockland All Saints)

The main side which is up a slope has grass area with a low wire fence & bushes with some trees & a field behind. Straddling the half-way line is a dark green metal covered stand with 2 rows of black seats (26 in total). Next to this is a metal shed. Behind one goal is a 2nd pitch which was being marked out with the near goalposts a bit further down the slope. Behind far goal is a hedge & rooftops can be seen. To one side of the 2nd pitch has cricket nets with artificial turf & 2 wickets. Other side has 1 floodlight pole & a car park. In corner is the small but nice clubhouse with patio area with picnic tables/chairs. Other side of main pitch has in near half a cricket square fenced off. Set back are 3 small portable buildings & 3 more floodlight poles in front of trees. To the side of cricket square is the 5th floodlight pole. Behind goal of main pitch is grass area with a low wire fence & bushes & some trees. Behind is a field with a farm building set back. (I think I remember the stand appearing in Groundtastic)

Match: 8th (0.4.3) v 2nd (5.0.2) out of 10
Cold & mostly cloudy. Tried to brighten up with some sun before it went down at end.
RU started well but only came close on 42mins when gk made a save although it was going just wide anyway. HA hit the post on 16mins. A poor 45mins did little to warm me up but 16 seconds into injury time a cracking 20yd shot flew into the net. Shots 3-5.

H/t lasted over 6mins. Rugby Union was on the tv in the clubhouse.
HA scored an early 2nd goal before RU had a good spell. The gk made a save on 52mins but the close range rebound shot was mis-kicked. They pulled a goal back on 57mins but the club lino incorrectly raised his flag for offside, it wasn’t even close. As the game wore on RU made a lot of errors & were nerly made to pay on 66mins when a close range shot hit the post. Another one saw a shot going wide on 72mins. HA secured the win with a 3rd goal before RU deservedly got a consolation. Shots 8-7.

Top of the table are Briston who at the start of the day had won all 7 games had scored 46 goals, loads more than the other sides.

noprogs
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 6:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 63 (6300 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Chesterbird working for next 5 saturdays so hubby doing reports.
Offside.A word with the scheduler necessary

noprogs
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 6:56 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 63 (6280 views)
Shortcut

Newark T 7 Appleby Frodingham 0
Central Midlands League
Admission £2, Programme £1

I'm in a goal glut at the moment, fourth consecutive game with seven goals.
Today was more a case of Newark's finishing being excellent rather than bad defending by the visitors.
At least four of the goals were top drawer, benefits of playing on a true (artificial) surface.
Newark led by four at the break, and although this killed the game competitively, the quality of the goals more than compensated.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Nov 16, 2019, 6:59 PM)

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 16, 2019, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #10 of 63 (6268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Patchway Town 2 Hardwicke 6
Gloucestershire Senior League
Admission Free Programme £1.50

Patchway started the game bottom of the table, however took the lead after 5 minutes. Hardwicke dominated the remainder of the first half, and with a home player given a straight red after 25 minutes for retaliation, it seemed more a question of when rather than if the visitors would score. The equaliser came in the first minute of the second half, and after a further 20 minutes, they were 4-1 up. Patchway pulled a goal back to make the game slightly more interesting, however two late goals sealed an easy win for the visitors. Patchway’s home is Norman Scott Park. On entering the park, turn right as far as you can go, and there is a fully railed pitch, with no spectator cover. One side is hard standing, the other three grass standing. The changing room block, incorporating tea bar, which didn’t open until half time today, is located behind the near side goal. It is from here that the neat, 20 page programme including all the essentials, and only 2 pages of adverts, can be obtained.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

stingray
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 7:06 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #11 of 63 (6244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Division 1
LANGFORD 0-1 ST. PANTELEIMON
Admission & Prog £6.00 Tea, Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance h/c peaked at 55

All was calm for the majority of the first half, then the "family" with Pebbles the dog in tow turned up and the second half was played out to a cacophony of screaming brats who like the sounds of their own voices and ensured that any future visits I make will be in midweek.

On the pitch, this appeared to be an away banker. St. Panteleimon have moved through the local and county leagues like a dose of salts and proudly sit at the top of the table, unbeaten thus far. However they came up against some pretty stiff opposition in Langford and despite having the majority of the possession found their efforts go high, wide or easily dealt with. Eventually they did manage to make the breakthrough during the second half while I was in the clubhouse waiting for the new tea bag to do its job.

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 16, 2019, 7:08 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #12 of 63 (6242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A ground which hosted FA Cup and Trophy matches in the 1980s but one I was unaware of until earlier this year, an ignorance broken when I stumbled across David Bauckham's excellent photo essay of a visit here last March: https://dbauckham.exposure.co/wings-of-desire.
With its history and its lovely big old stand sat opposite a couple of lengthy rows of wooden bleachers, RAF Halton has been on my bucket list ever since. As Icarus (whose players are all RAF) don't play in a league, opportunities are relatively scarce but they do play in the Southern Amateur League Senior Cup so today was the day....

SAL Senior Cup 2
Icarus 0-1 Merton
8 in attendance
No admission charge or paper

Lovely drive over the Chilterns to today's venue, situated just outside the quaint little town of Wendover, a couple of miles south of Aylesbury. Parking is at the Nuffield Pavilion, which houses the changing rooms for a variety of sports and, presumably, a bar. However the ground itself is a few hundred yards and a couple of fields away! Incidentally, although it's Ministry of Defence property there are no security procedures to go through. And, although the ground is fenced off, if you don't fancy the hike from the pavilion you can just park up in a nearby side street and cut through from the adjoining field.

Besides the stand and bleachers the only other furniture is a pair of dugouts. You don't even get a rope! But it's a fine place to watch football, enhanced further today with a range of autumnal colours on the surrounding trees.

Not quite as many here today as when Aylesbury United played three matches here in 1985 whilst temporarily homeless. The running track has grassed over since then, and I bet the stand didn't have climbing ivy inside it when over 600 were here for the Ducks' FA Cup tie against Harlow (a couple of photos from which can be found in the link above). Going back further, RAF Halton Apprentices played Hellenic League football here in the late 50s/early 60s.

I guess Merton rarely venture outside the M25 as half their squad didn't roll into the car park until 20 minutes before the scheduled 1.30pm start. We eventually got under way just after 2pm but light was never a problem (might have been if they'd gone back to the changing rooms at half time, mind!)

I'd only ever seen one SAL club before today, that was Nottsborough last season, who impressed me greatly when knocking eventual Combined Counties Div 1 runners-up, Frimley Green, out of the county cup. Merton are a division lower and there was a marked difference in quality. I'd compare today to mid-step 7 but, as the two teams were well-matched and created chances, it was a decent watch, particularly after Merton took the lead early in the second half. Quite feisty at times but the ref kept a lid on things, which was just as well as he had no assistants to help him - in fact we didn't even have club linesmen, not sure if that's the norm in the SAL.

Not sure I'll be tempted into watching too much football at this level in future but I'd certainly recommend a visit here.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 16, 2019, 7:12 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #13 of 63 (6229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wessex League Premier Division
Hamworthy United 1-2 Baffins Milton Rovers

Entry: £7
Attendance: a guess of 100+

An entertaining match played at cracking pace, with plenty of chances at both ends. A high-scoring draw would probably have been a fair result, but the Baffins goalkeeper made some excellent saves in the second half to help win the points (even if his goal-kicks went askew a little too often). A good match all round.

Hamworthy’s ground has been here for almost seventy years, and yet much of it has the appearance of a freshly constructed new-build: plastic pitch, new cage-type fencing, metal terracing and a clubhouse with that slightly unsettling feeling of a late-90s nightclub. Only the characterful low-slung homemade stand with wooden bench seating hints at the ground’s longer history.

The suburb of Hamworthy is across the water to the west of Poole town centre, with Poole railway station being a twenty minute walk (there is a smaller station in Hamworthy itself, but it is actually no closer to the ground than the one in Poole). One thing to note for those travelling on foot, however, is the present closure of the modern Twin Sails Bridge that would otherwise give a decent shortcut. This newly built road bridge has suffered recent technical issues that sees it presently out of bounds to all traffic (including pedestrians) for an unspecified length of time. All the while, the old bridge further down at Poole Quay continues to do its job without fuss.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Nov 16, 2019, 7:16 PM)

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 16, 2019, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #14 of 63 (6158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cymru South
Cwmbran Celtic 2 Taffs Well 0
Admission £5 Programme (40 pages) £1 Attendance h/c 48

Celtic climbed out of the relegation places with this victory over the side directly above them before this weekend, winning with a goal in each half. It was the visitors who had the most, and the clearest, of the chances however, and with even adequate finishing would have won comfortably, but the precision of their build up play was wasted by shocking finishing. Neither side were helped by a bobbly pitch with overlong grass and covered with autumn leaves.

Cwmbran Celtic are one of the few clubs at Tier 2 still not to have installed floodlights, something that they will need to remedy soon to stay at this level. Rumours persist that the club will choose to return to more recreational football at next season's Tier 3 or even county level rather than push ahead - I overheard such a conversation today. That would be a shame given the expense already paid out in the last two years to erect a 250-seat stand, and to lengthen the pitch into the bank behind the Stadium end goal. There, enjoying the view, were at least another dozen 'spectators' too tight to pay the paltry admission fee - a problem at every home game.

Not a bad match, and the 2pm start meant everyone was home in time to watch proceedings from Baku.

(This post was edited by gcnc on Nov 16, 2019, 7:32 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 16, 2019, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #15 of 63 (6142 views)
Shortcut

Gloucestershire FA Trophy. (F&N). Crowd 23.

Bromley Heath United 2 v 2 Broadwell Amateurs. (5-4 on pens).

Slow start to this match with both sides rusty as a result of playing so few matches so far this season. Eventually BHU found the net twice in the latter stages of the first half, giving them a deserved half time lead.Second half Amateurs were much improved and scored two late on to take the game to penalties.

Broadwell went first and their initial effort hit the post and didn't go in. Everyone else converted theirs and United move on to the next round.

Good company today from posters Tim and Warwickian, along with Phil and Mick S.

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 7:40 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #16 of 63 (6107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Silver End United 4-2 Burnham Ramblers Reserves (HT: 2-0)
County Motor Works Vauxhall Mid-Essex League Premier Division (Step 7)

1st v 7th (11 team division)
Admission: Free
Programme: No
Attendance: 25 h/c

Only the second time that I have seen my home village side play.
No hard standing, cover or seats as per usual for this level but they do have a nice clubhouse serving tea, coffee and alcohol.
They also were doing burgers as well.

Table topping Silver End were unbeaten going into this game and held a comfortable 2-0 lead by half time with the second, a good strike from well outside the box, being the goal of the game.
After the restart, the home side squandered a good few chances to increase their lead.
When Burnham scored from the penalty spot it looked as if United might rue their missed chances.
However, another two goals for Silver End settled it.
As the temperature dropped and the sky grew dull there was a little bit of late drama as United had what looked like a good goal chalked off after the ref consulted with the Burnham linesman.
The visitors then notched a second, again from the penalty spot, but Silver End quite rightly claimed all three points.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 7:44 PM

Post #17 of 63 (6096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bishop's Castle Town 4 Forden United 3 (aet)

Manor Park: Central Wales Challenge Cup Second Round

This tie was originally scheduled to be played at Forden United, but then was switched to Latham Park in Newtown a couple of days ago, presumably given the recent wet weather in the Welsh borders meant that the pitch was going to be unplayable at the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division club. However, the fixture was then moved to the home ground of the JT Hughes Montgomeryshire League First Division club last night.Manor Park is a ground that has tended to cope well with the rain that had recently fallen in the area over the past few weeks. This was my second visit of the campaign to the ground after having watched Bishop's Castle Town entertain Herefordshire FA County League Premier Division champions Clee Hill United in the pre-season final of their own competition. The visitors eventually prevailed and lifted the trophy following a penalty shoot-out victory against their Salopian rivals. This afternoon's hosts have enjoyed some success since returning to Welsh football from a brief spell in what is now known as the Shropshire Premier League. The Manor Park outfit came into this afternoon's match in second position in the JT Hughes Montgomeryshire League First Division but some eight points behind leaders and defending champions Guilsfield Reserves. The border club toook a break from league action last weekend to record a 1-0 victory at Brown Clee in the Shropshire Challenge Cup. Forden United were enjoying their debut season in senior mid Wales football after stepping up from the JT Montgomeryshire League. The Barcodes have experienced a mixed run of form since promotion as they found themselves mid-table in the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League Second Division. However, Forden United came into this cup tie on the back of an impressive 2-0 league win at Rhayader Town last weekend. The two clubs' previous meeting was right at the end of last term when Forden United prevailed over today's hosts 4-3 in the final of the Boys and Boden Montgomeryshire League Cup final at Llansantffraid Village.

The JT Hughes Montgomeryshire League outfit went close to open the scoring in the eighth minute after seeing a fierce 25 yard turned over the crossbar following a quick break from their own half. However, it was the visitors that opened the scoring in the 23rd minute, following a break down the left and the ball was eventually played back to the edge of the penalty area and a low shoot found the corner of the net. Forden United headed over from a 32nd minute cross into the penalty area before Bishop's Castle Town saw a couple of close range efforts on target blocked four minutes later. The Forden United goalkeeper made a brave save in the 43rd minute as he came off his line to smother the ball but was unable to prevent an equalising goal just a minute later. The custodian ripped away a fierce drive from the right edge of the penalty area but was unable to keep out a follow-up shot from the other side of the area as the Forden United defence failed to clear the ball. The teams went into the interval on level terms after the Castle custodian saved a low 25 yard free-kick in stoppage time. The hosts came close too taking the lead in the opening minute of the second-half but a delicate chip from the edge of the penalty area dropped the wrong side of the crossbar. Yet is was Forden United that regained the lead in the 50th minute after a visiting forward latched on to a through ball before calmly sweeping the ball past the advancing goalkeeper. The visitors latched on to a long clearance by their goalkeeper six minutes later but were denied by a smart save from the Bishop's Castle Town custodian. The Salopians were on level terms after converting 64th minute penalty awarded when a cross from the left struck the hand of a Forden United player. The visitors fired wide of the target 14 minutes later after the ball whizzed around the Bishop's Castle Town penalty area. It appeared that the Barcodes had won the tie when a Forden United player latched on to a through ball before sliding it past the advancing goalkeeper. That was not to be the end of the drama as the Montgomeryshire League outfit levelled deep into stoppage time, after a free-kick into the Forden United penalty area was only partially cleared, and a low deflected strike from just over 25 yards out beat the visiting goalkeeper. Goal scoring opportunities in extra-time for both teams were somewhat scare but Castle went ahead with 10 minutes remaining when the Barcodes failed to deal with a free-kick swung into their penalty area and the loose ball was eventually forced over the line from close range. The visitors had a great opportunity to equalise two minute later but headed the bar over the crossbar only a matter of a few feet from in from the target and the hosts managed to hang on for the victory.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 465
Matches: 91
New Grounds: 16

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 8:00 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #18 of 63 (6030 views)
Shortcut

Isthmian League Division 1 South Central
Chertsey Town 2 Westfield 2

Admission: £9, Programme: £2
Attendance: 414 (official)

From the start, both teams made clear their intent to attack with pace and in numbers, and this meant that both defences were wide open in the early stages of the match. This saw Chertsey almost immediately score at one end, before Westfield almost did the same at the other end through Max Blackmore: after a cross from Aaron Watson, he had space to shoot but was quickly closed down by Chertsey goalkeeper Nick Jupp, who smothered the danger. The match remained end-to-end for quite some time, but it was Westfield who were creating the best chances: in the 13th minute, a free kick from deep was headed into the post and went wide; then, in the 19th minute, Blackmore nodded a cross on for Watson to shoot low, forcing Jupp into a fine save to deny him.

However, it was Chertsey who scored first in the 27th minute: Lubomir Guentchev latched onto a cross and volleyed emphatically beyond Westfield keeper Gary Ross from just inside the box. This saw the momentum of the match swing in Chertsey's favour for a while as they began to control proceedings, but Westfield were able to equalise against the run of play before half-time: in the 41st minute, a through ball eluded the Chertsey defence and reached Blackmore, who had space to turn and shoot low to score. Chertsey almost reclaimed their lead straight away as they went straight back on the attack, Jake Baxter's low shot from the left wing going inches wide of the post.

The second half started right where the first left off as both teams went on the attack again, with Chertsey coming close to retaking the lead in the 48th minute before Westfield almost scored four minutes later: for Chertsey, Samuel Murphy shot low from the right but pulled it narrowly wide; for Westfield, a Harry Carter through ball allowed Arsen Ujkaj to shoot inside the box, with Jupp blocking the initial effort before a defender blocked the attempted rebound. After this initial flurry, though, the intensity dropped off as the match became very scrappy and tensions between the two sides grew. This also saw the ball being played in the air more and more, despite both teams doing a far better job with the ball on the ground.

The match continued to be scrappy for a while, with very few chances to speak of for either side. However, an excellent Westfield goal in the 76th minute brought it back to life: Watson picked up the ball on the right wing and charged into the box, dribbling past a couple of defenders before crossing at the byline for Tinashe Nkoma to tap in. In response, Chertsey upped the intensity in search of an equaliser, but struggled to break through a resilient Westfield backline. Deep into stoppage time, Chertsey made their pressure count and equalised: a cross from deep was headed at goal by Scott Day but saved, before falling to Murphy on the edge of the box to half-volley into the top corner. The home side almost went on to win it moments later when Ross miscued a goal kick into the path of Chertsey's Jake Baxter: Baxter played the ball to Jonathan Hippolyte on the wing, who charged into the box and passed to Murphy in the six yard box for a tap-in. Unfortunately for the home side, Murphy was in an offside position and the goal was ruled out, leading to the points being shared.

Despite a notable lull in the second half, this was an immensely entertaining match between two sides who were eager to attack with pace and in numbers, playing the ball on the ground to excellent effect and culminating in a truly dramatic finish. Momentum shifted throughout the match and both sides could claim that they deserved to win, but in reality a draw was probably the fair result on the day.

Chertsey's ground is absolutely excellent for this level, with cover on all four sides and plenty of uncovered terracing to boot. And in all the club's blue to make it feel that much more homely. The ground also handled the large crowd excellently.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 16, 2019, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #19 of 63 (5985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Moore United 4-8 Cuddington
Cheshire League Division 1
No admission charge
Att: 6 (h/c)

Where do I start with this one?? Wonderful spectacle, thoroughly absorbing and entertaining. Both teams were in the bottom 4 at start of play, and both probably saw it as a winnable game to move a bit further up the table. Cuddy took the lead on 5mins, Moore equalised immediately. Cuddy had gone 3-1 up by the half hour, at which point Moore had a player given a straight red for a two-footed lunge. Cuddy then stretched their lead, only for the 10 men to pull one back before the break.

I overheard the Moore team talk, and it was clear that they still thought that they could get something from the game. They still played with 2 up front after the sending off, and at the start of the 2nd half they gave it a right good go. With a bit of luck the scoreline could have been closer, as Moore hit the bar twice in the 2nd half and also had a weak penalty saved. The extra man for so long was too much for them, though, as Cuddy managed to keep far enough in front to take home the points. And breathe.

Moore have this season moved to Grange Sports & Social Club in Warrington, formerly used by a now-defunct club of that name in the Warrington & District League. It's a pleasant set-up, with a couple of bowling greens, a cricket square and a kids' astro. The football pitch is roped along both sides, with a couple of modern dugouts sitting opposite the cricket square. The social club looked cosy, but I didn't partake. Really good afternoon out.

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 8:14 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #20 of 63 (5973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sydenhams Wessex One
BBX Stadium
New Milton Town 3 Hythe & Dibden 3
Admission: £6 Paper available Attendance: 54

Penultimate tick for Wessex One with only Beatrice Avenue left. Tidy set up with a cosy clubhouse but only seated cover available; not needed on a crisp but dry afternoon.
The visitors will have nightmares about this one; for 79 minutes they absolutely dominated this game, yet threw it away in seven minutes of sheer lunacy at the end. Great entertainment for the neutral. like me, but that comeback was just not on anyone's radar.
The visitors were quicker and more skilfull, more mobile and had more up front. They missed several half chances before leading on 30 with a high drive into the top corner from 20 yards. This was followed on 34 with a low drive into the corner. No more thanthey deserved; home team's chances...one all half blazed high and wide. HT 0-2.
The visitors should have increased their lead even further but missed three good chances before finall a cut inside by the winger was placed past the home keeper on 63.
All was going to plan when the self-detonation button was pressed on 80; a home player was taking the ball OUT of the away area and was needlessly scythed down. Penalty. First effort saved but the AR signalled for infringment (or the goalie moving - it wasn't clear which) and the re-taken penalty scored. Then an attack down the right resulted in a melee in which the ball was poked into the net on 85. Away nerves were clearly on the point of shredding because on 87, a through ball was chased down by three away defenders and the home attacker. Like watching a slow-mo car crash, the home keeper also rushed out and the leading defender toe-poked a back pass before realising that the keeper wasn't there. Attacker duly stroked the ball in. Drama then as the AR flagged for off-side(!) which even a 3 year old could have seen there was no chance as the final ball was from an away defender. The referee rightly over-ruled him and the goal stood.
Breathless stuff but I have to say that the AR's were useless today, in particular the gentleman who flagged for the re-taken penalty and the wrong off-side.
Home in 75 via Ringwood and Salisbury.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Nov 16, 2019, 9:19 PM

Post #21 of 63 (5717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or

Beeston St Anthony 4-3 Boroughbridge...WYL Prem...k.o 1400...Cuppa £1.

Had planned to go to Barmouth but after getting up decided it'd be better saving a seaside run till Spring time. Opted instead for a run over the M62 to the Leeds area for a ground I've looked at doing a few times but never got round to. Setting off the weather was fine but climbing to altitude on the M62 the weather was wet and visibility was closing in. A call to the Beeston Manager we learnt they were just carrying out a final check of the pitch.

Beeston is just off the M621 as you head up towards Leeds and easily accessible from the motorway, close to Elland Road. The ground is bordered by a few works places, an allotment and an adjacent road. It by a local school and the Clubhouse is leased from the school, the ground is on a 25 year lease.

The Clubhouse is essentially a changing room block that has been expanded on, to offer fans toilet facilities and a refreshment area by the door that offer's hot drinks. A new sign has recently gone up advertising the Clubs existence.

Pitchside there are new dugouts arrived on wheels after locals broke in and demolished the brick ones....these are now on the near side as you come from the dressing rooms. Watching the backroom staff wheeling the dugouts away reminded me of the Cool Runnings film about the Bobsled team. they put some effort in to get a decent pace going.

Everytime I look at the West Yorkshire League, Beeston always seem to be top. Today was no different, unbeaten all season playing against mid table Boroughbridge.

The visitors opened the scoring on 6 minutes and Beeston equalised two minutes later. Following a Goalkeeping error, the visitors netted again.

On 35 minutes the Beeston No 3 who had been pretty influential till then...was dismissed for a second foul on the same player, a bit harsh. Five minutes before the break the visitors added a third following another keeper blunder. With a 1-3 lead and a player advantage, things were looking good for the visitors at the break.

Five minutes after the restart, Beeston pulled it back to 2-3 from the penalty spot through their No11. Despite being a man down, Beeston pressed and eventually were awarded a second penalty on 78 minutes though it looked like the Beeston's undercarriage had already given way before the challenge. With the No 11 firing home again to the keepers left it was all square.

VAR was then required as the home fans reckoned the ball had crossed the line before being cleared. Without VAR the referee turned down the claims.

The winner came on 90+6 minutes with the final kick of the game. Beeston were awarded the their third penalty of the second half as the right winger went airborne after a challenge in the box. The No 11 beat the keeper for a third time to claw three points from the jaws of defeat.

Despite handbags being swung at times the players all shook hands, derigged the nets and went home. Proper football and it was free on what turned out to be a dry afternoon in Yorkshire.

Good run back once I'd dragged the missus out of Ikea.

Hertspireite
Junior Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 9:20 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield FC

Post #22 of 63 (5709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Milton Keynes Robin's 4 - 3 Brimsdown (HT 1 - 1)
Manor Fields, Buckinghamshire
Spartan South Midlands League Division 1 (step 6)

Admission £5/2.50
No programme
Tea £1
Attendance 43

The entrance sign to the ground calls itself Bletchley .... there is a very narrow bridge at the entrance road, meaning a one vehicle passing point. The car park is ample with the odd pot hole. The football pitch itself is to the right of The MK Irish Centre. A small hut serves instead of a turnstile. A welcome cup of tea at the hatch was had, the bar was open in the Irish centre but I didn't go inside.

The game itself was entertaining. Both team benches expressed their annoyance at some of the refereeing decisions....quite loudly. This continued into the second half...by which time both teams were also berating the referee and linesmen ...I'm really not sure how at least 3 players were not sin binned for dissent!!! Towards the end of the second half with the score at 3-2 (to the hosts) a foul, which really should have been a red was awarded a yellow card from the ref.... cue.... the spectators also getting quite vocal ...towards the end MK Robins were trying their best to keep hold of possession, in order to keep the potential 3 points.... 2 more goals were scored before the final whistle was finally blown at after 5pm.....

Adding to the whole enjoyment was one gentleman who brought his trombone....occasional interludes of trombone playing followed each and every goal....or near miss.

2018 -19 season. 7 new grounds.
2019 -20 season 24 new grounds.
Newest ground visited The Van Elle Welfare Ground, Pinxton FC, Derbyshire, Central Midlands Football League South, Level 11

Karb
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 9:21 PM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #23 of 63 (5703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League Two
Salford City 2-3 Swindon Town
Admission £10 (plus £1 booking fee), Programme £3, Att: 3,509

My first visit to Moor Lane, and I chose to stand on the West Terrace. I found myself standing between two separate groups of German hoppers. Pre-match refreshment had been taken at the excellent Northern Type in Eccles

The ground itself isn't particularly attractive, but the food and drink options were excellent, the programme good, and I was very impressed that City have maintained their non league pricing structure for admission this season.

Salford took the lead inside 4 minutes. |The Swindon keeper dithered over a clearance, allowing Adam Rooney to nip in and, as the keeper tried to clear, he succeeded only in tripping the Salford number 9. Rooney got up to score from the spot.

Swindon were level on 10 minutes, a good move down the left was finished by Eoin Doyle.

Swindon looked much the better side, and it's not difficult to see why they are top of the table. They took the lead on 54 minutes with a penalty of their own, given for handball. Doyle scoring his, and Swindon's, second from the spot. A third followed on 66 minute. Neal in the Salford goal parried two efforts, but Yates scored from the second rebound.

A third penalty of the afternoon came in stoppage time, following a trip. Rooney again scoring from the spot, but this was the last kick of the game.

I'm told that this win means that Swindon are the first club to have defeated every other club in the top four divisions (don't shoot the messenger if not true)

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Nov 16, 2019, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #24 of 63 (5514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karb] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

14:00 KO

Bulgarian Third League South West

Stadion Minyor, Pernik

FK Minyor Pernik 0(0) Septemvri Simitli 3(2)

1st v 2nd

Yellow Shirts / Black Shorts White Shirts & Shorts

Attendance 700 (estimate)

Admission Free (I think - although I did arrive early and they may have started charging later) No Programmes Did see a couple of team sheets in Cyrillic but only took a pic of one.

Two Kebabs in a Bread Roll & Beer About BGN4

Table topping Minyor lost their unbeaten league record after visiting Septemvri comfortably beat them three-nil. The visitors took the lead with a 21st minute penalty and doubled it in the last minute of first half stoppage time with a header from a quick breakaway. A third goal in the 65th minute ensured there would be no Minyor comeback.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 16, 2019, 10:58 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #25 of 63 (5325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Berkhamsted 3 St Neots Town 1, Southern League Division 1 Central, Att: 206, Admission: £8, Prog: £1.50

This had the makings of a very one-sided contest with the home side riding high at the top of the table whereas the visitors are struggling this season, however although they were limited to a few long range efforts, St Neots hopes were only extinguished in injury time when Berkhamsted scored their third goal. The hosts were very disappointing despite their lofty position, flattering to deceive for most of the game which kept St Neots interested until late on, even though a late red card left them a man short for the latter stages. Berkhamsted's ground is homely rather than spectacular, a low seated stand on one side being the main feature with similar covered standing areas behind either goal. The other touchline has just a narrow walkway which adds to the tightly enclosed feel, helped by the very adjacent busy rail line into London. Parking was somewhat of an issue, we chose to park a short walk away bryond the station. Pre-match refreshments were courtesy of the Valiant Trooper in the nearby village of Aldbury and the Rising Sun, a short stroll from tbe ground, both featuring five handpumps and a varied choice of ales. Both highly recommended.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3