Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Ossett United Court Case

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 17, 2019, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1 of 12 (4671 views)
Shortcut
Ossett United Court Case Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone shed more light on this, which leaves rather a lot of questions open
https://www.ossettutd.com/...threatens-all-sport/

What was specific about this that the insurance did not cover it?
Has the door been opened for sueing over accidental injuries, or was this considered a deliberate act?

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

A.G.Ricer
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 17, 2019, 1:51 PM

Post #2 of 12 (4534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This was a civil action brought by Reece Welsh of Radcliffe Borough for damages for negligence after he suffered a badly broken ankle in a tackle by Ossett's player Sam Akeroyd. Presumably after hearing all the evidence the Judge decided that the tackle was negligent i.e not a run of the mill coming together. It seems that Ossett's insurance covered the costs of their defence but possibly not the damages awarded (19000) and not Welsh's costs. Although a figure of 135000 is given for the costs Ossett can contest the amount of these but not the actual award of costs.
Certainly not the first time such a civil action has been brought. I seem to remember one involving Ilkeston a few seasons ago. What has caught Ossett out is that their insurance was woefully inadequate.

boyspen
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 17, 2019, 2:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 12 (4496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From the info provided, it appears that the court decision was not based on whether it was considered a deliberate act or not, just that the tackle was deemed reckless. And as the player making the tackle received a red card, the decision seems to have been based on this (over-riding any eye-witness accounts or photos provided by the defence to counter-argue).

Flickr photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedribblingcode/albums
Blog (match/ground reviews) at:
http://thedribblingcode.wordpress.com
@dribblingcode on Twitter

genesimmons
Youth Team Star

Nov 17, 2019, 6:44 PM

Team(s): Gateshead

Post #4 of 12 (4173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boyspen] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bishop got sued years ago when a macclesfield player broke his leg. Man u sent a strong squad for a friendly with the likes of ryan giggs appearing and this helped the clun pay the costs. Maybe a top flight club could do the same for osset

You wanted the best, you got the best

andymac
Youth Team Sub

Nov 17, 2019, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Stoke City, Market Drayton Tigers

Post #5 of 12 (3930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [genesimmons] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This has brought back to mind a situation that happened 3 plus years ago.
One of my sons who plays for the team I managed at the time was involved in an incident that was similar.
This was my sons first season back after suffering a double break of his tibia which necessitated a pin been inserted in his tibia and as a result of a delayed healing process kept him out of the game for nearly 2 years.
During a game not long after his return to football he was involved in an incident that resulted in himself and another player going down in a lot of pain. (Nothing malicious, just one of those things where 2 players are going for the ball). 2 ambulances on the pitch, and both transported to hospital. They are side by side through triage and xrays etc and are chatting throughout. My son has got away without serious injury due to the fact that his "tibial nail" means his leg is stronger. Unfortunately the other lad has a broken bone.
Many months later we were contacted by the clubs insurance company to say that the other player is claiming that his injury was the result of a reckless challenge. My son and myself have to give statements to the insurance company's solicitors.
During his stay in hospital the player had been in a bed next to someone I knew and had told him that there had been nothing malicious in the challenge and it was one of those things. Fortunately my acquaintance was willing to give a statement to that effect.
I still shudder to think how this may have turned out if I had not known about the conversation that had gone on between these two patients in adjoining beds.

andymac

noprogs
First Team Star

Nov 19, 2019, 9:19 AM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 12 (3163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A.G.Ricer] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

19k for the injury, and 135k for costs, tells you everything about the English legal system.

THDrummer1
Junior Team Star

Nov 19, 2019, 7:12 PM

Post #7 of 12 (2819 views)
Shortcut

The implications are frightening. I'm struggling to see why the club are liable for the costs; was the player contracted to them and as such classed as an employee?

spen666
Youth Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 9:46 AM

Post #8 of 12 (2563 views)
Shortcut
Re: [THDrummer1] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The implications are frightening. I'm struggling to see why the club are liable for the costs; was the player contracted to them and as such classed as an employee?

The club are liable for the costs because they were the defendants in the case. They fought the case. they lost the case

In the normal course of litigation costs follow the event...ie the losing party is liable for the winners costs.

Ossett were the losing party

THDrummer1
Junior Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 12:47 PM

Post #9 of 12 (2386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spen666] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the reply spen666. So in hindsight if the club had said to the player 'nothing to do with us, it's your responsibility' would Ossett Town now be in the clear and not liable for the costs?

spen666
Youth Team Star

Nov 20, 2019, 4:32 PM

Post #10 of 12 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [THDrummer1] Ossett United Court Case [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Thanks for the reply spen666. So in hindsight if the club had said to the player 'nothing to do with us, it's your responsibility' would Ossett Town now be in the clear and not liable for the costs?

No, because the player would have sued the club(as he did) and because the club lost in court they are liable to pay the costs of the case

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 21, 2019, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #11 of 12 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Well, this case has made the Law Gazette:

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/...laim/5102253.article

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Nov 21, 2019, 1:59 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 24, 2019, 10:21 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1233 views)
Shortcut

This was featured in Radio 4's 'You and Yours' on Friday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000bgp2

First feature, starts at 1m 10s for about 9 minutes.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Nov 24, 2019, 10:28 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3