steve walker
Administrator

Nov 4, 2019, 9:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #51 of 60 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Re: This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for all the feedback.
I think it seems generally accepted that we need to change the forum software for the long term good.
I have looked at Community Software where we can host blogs and image galleries and stuff like that but I think what people want is just a good easy to use forum on all platforms that gets regular software updates to keep on top of the tech changes and is really a continuation of this one in the shape of forum titles, with a look as close to this one as possible.
That shouldn't be too tricky. Regarding feature requests, pretty much all current software would come with those features and much much more.
Steve

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 4, 2019, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #52 of 60 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think it's a good idea. One suggestion I'd like to make is that if we all have to re-register, it should be compulsory for us all to use our real names as our posting names, as a few posters currently do (John Treleven and Leo Hoenig for example) as this would hopefully encourage responsible posting and deter online abuse/bullying.

That might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever read on here. Even if it was feasible to enforce it would undoubtedly put people off.

I think it's time to move on, the software is awful to moderate the PSF board.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 5, 2019, 8:15 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #53 of 60 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think it seems generally accepted that we need to change the forum software for the long term good.
I have looked at Community Software where we can host blogs and image galleries and stuff like that but I think what people want is just a good easy to use forum on all platforms that gets regular software updates to keep on top of the tech changes and is really a continuation of this one in the shape of forum titles, with a look as close to this one as possible.
That shouldn't be too tricky. Regarding feature requests, pretty much all current software would come with those features and much much more.
Steve

There are plenty of other options (including the dreaded Facebook) for photo galleries and the like. As you rightly say, a more up to date version of what we have now should be the way forward.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

southend statto
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2019, 12:37 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #54 of 60 (969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

would really appreciate a new platform that regularly updates - thanks - don't mind making a donation if this means positive change

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 6, 2019, 10:06 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #55 of 60 (883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am a little late coming to this topic but I would be in favour of an update. It will be required at some point and it will only become more difficult as time goes by.

BDA_85
First Team Star

Nov 6, 2019, 11:42 AM

Post #56 of 60 (869 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Steve

There are plenty of other options (including the dreaded Facebook) for photo galleries and the like. As you rightly say, a more up to date version of what we have now should be the way forward.

Ditto Andy's post. The more straight forward the forum, the more attractive it is. Too many add on's makes it more cumbersome.

agamemnon3
Youth Team Sub

Nov 10, 2019, 11:05 AM

Team(s):

Post #57 of 60 (535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDA_85] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

'The more straight forward the forum, the more attractive it is.'

Agreed.

I suspect that many users of this forum are 'of a certain age', and find that adapting to new procedures can sometimes be quite tiresome, and quite daunting. (No offence intended, chaps...)

I am such a person. And as this is something that will not become easier with time, on that basis alone, changes should be implemented as soon as possible.

kimbo_king
Youth Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 8:00 PM

Team(s): SWFC

Post #58 of 60 (482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agamemnon3] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Delighted to read this.

I use other forums and we are well overdue an upgrade!

bspittles
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 13, 2019, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Leek Town, Oxford United

Post #59 of 60 (344 views)
Shortcut

Steve, I recently set up the Leek Town forum using https://www.tmdhosting.com/

It cost about 85 for 3 years, which includes a domain name, and has loads of free software automatically installed, such as phpBB, Wordpress, etc.

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 18, 2019, 8:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #60 of 60 (187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bspittles] This Forum Software [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Steve, I recently set up the Leek Town forum using https://www.tmdhosting.com/

It cost about 85 for 3 years, which includes a domain name, and has loads of free software automatically installed, such as phpBB, Wordpress, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. I can't really run this site on shared hosting. It gets over a million hits a month, would slow to a crawl and then be throttled by the hosts as it would be affecting other sites on the same server.

I had trouble even on a dedicated server on Saturdays until I got a server upgrade where Editors couldn't log in to update Leagues and forum pages were slow to very slow on a weekend. Now all is good touch wood.

Just to update... I am waiting on a PHP server upgrade from the hosts in the next 48 hours or so then I can install up to date forum software. Probably a week or two to customise and configure. Some testing time to let Admins and Mods in to try and break it and offer suggestions. Mid December would be the aim for new forum if all goes to plan.

Cheers.... Steve

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3