Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Friday 29th November

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 10:14 AM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #1 of 5 (870 views)
Shortcut
Friday 29th November Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maldon & Tiptree 0 Newport County 1
FA Cup 2nd Round, Att; 1876 (Ground record) Aprox 120 from Newport
Admission £15 Commemorative programme 40 glossy pages for £3, nicely done

In the end, as I am sure many of you will have seen, County proved to have a little too much for the home side, whose excellent cup run came to and end. Being sorely tempted to lump on a fiver for the goalless draw (At 19/1) but not getting round to it, I was relieved when Padraig Almond won the game as the clock approached 90 minutes! In truth I felt Newport deserved the win, how they did not have it wrapped up by half time was a mystery and the sense of hanging on was the general feel amongst the locals. However Maldon & Tiptree had a bit of a go in the second half and fashioned a few chances, but in the main their three big hitters Slew, Hughes and Parrish were kept fairly subdued by a well organised and robust Newport team. For the home side, Kojo Awotwi and Stephane Ngamvoulou impressed but it was clear Newport had done their homework whereas I think that was an area Orient were lacking in the previous round. Either that, or Newport are just better and fitter and more organised than The Os. Credit too to the ref, Mr Stocksbridge who was unfussy and contributed to the occasion.
The only downer on the night was Newport defender Kyle Hoskins suffering a nasty head injury that required treatment and a trip to hospital. My thoughts are with him for a full recovery.

It seemed very surreal seeing Park Drive rammed with the Beeb and all their gear in tow, then seeing Deon Dublin and Martin Keown bowl up too. Not as surreal however as queuing for a drink behind Mark Bright (He had chips with loads of salt) and then seeing the grass banks that run alongside the stand with supporters gaining every vantage point possible. In reference to ‘Henman Hill’ and ‘Murray Mound’, my mate referred to said area as ‘Slew Slope’... I hope it sticks!

I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the occasion. Maldon & Tiptree handled everything really well and on the pitch were not disgraced. It will be interesting to see how their season goes from here but I wish them, and Newport, who were professional and respectful all the best for the rest of the season.

krffji
Youth Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 7:53 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #2 of 5 (641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Friday 29th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

As a little addendum to last night's tie the two 17-y-o Colchester youth loanees Kazeem, who came on for the last 10 minutes, and Cracknell, one of the unused subs, played a full 90 minutes this afternoon in a Premier League Cup game against Swansea City, in Swansea.

Always researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor 2001 - 2017
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor 2008 - 2018

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 30, 2019, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #3 of 5 (616 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The only downer on the night was Newport defender Kyle Hoskins suffering a nasty head injury that required treatment and a trip to hospital. My thoughts are with him for a full recovery.

Kyle has tweeted this afternoon

https://mobile.twitter.com/...798416315568128?s=19

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 8:29 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #4 of 5 (580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Friday 29th November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Kyle has tweeted this afternoon

https://mobile.twitter.com/...798416315568128?s=19

That is good to see, thank you.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 1, 2019, 4:03 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #5 of 5 (385 views)
Shortcut

Framlingham T 3 Debenham LC 5
ECL Div 1N Adm £3 Att 87
No prog as they thought the game might be off.....

A first for me - I've never been at a game where the start was delayed, by 20 minutes in fact, because the linesman had a nosebleed! Fortunately no Ed Sheeran music was played during the delay, but given the falling temperature, it did raise concerns about how frozen the surface would get but in the event there were no issues and no further outpouring of red stuff.

This was a real end to end local derby, just what was needed on such a chilly night. The hosts took the lead with a superb curling shot but found themselves trailing at the break. Goals continued to go in regularly at both ends but the visitors were the better side and once the home number 4 had been sent off for a second yellow, they got themselves a two goal cushion and took the points.

The ground is on the edge of this small Suffolk town which is not blessed with good road connections! There's a low covered seated stand with a hatch at the back to dispense drinks and chocolate. Burgers are cooked at a separate stall next to the stand. On the opposite side is a small covered stand and the dugouts, both ends being just open flat standing. Good to meet up with Pontecarlo and Kizzye.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3