Alan Wiggins' Map

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Alan Wiggins' Map

I was sent this map a couple of days ago, and have received permission to post it on here.
It is a personal log of grounds visited by Alan Wiggins, a hopper known to many on here, but not a poster.

He has been working at mapping every ground he has been to, and has spent time asking questions about ground moves and the like. The results may be valuable to anyone looking to see where the ground they went to was, as Alan has been to a lot of grounds. The matches referred to are, I believe, his first visit to each ground.

He would welcome comments if anyone wants to make them. Post them here and I will pass on. He said there are still a small number he was uncertain about and mentioned Metal Box Worcester as an example.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Nice to see that Alan has done the old Club Brugge ground. There's probably only one person on this forum who has ticked that one. (and we all know who that is!)

RussWWFC

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Wycombe Wanderers
Very neat, did one myself a while back, with all the grounds I want to do.

Had the list on a spreadsheet and most automatically imported, so I'm not100% sure of the accuracy. But it's a useful start if I'm going to be in a certain area or need backups.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Twice Chris , league game and an international v Scotland. 2 months apart in 74. Rather like the old name which everyone used ' De Klokke' its an easy translation.
Nice to see that Alan has done the old Club Brugge ground. There's probably only one person on this forum who has ticked that one. (and we all know who that is!)

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Alan Wiggins' Map

I was sent this map a couple of days ago, and have received permission to post it on here.
It is a personal log of grounds visited by Alan Wiggins, a hopper known to many on here, but not a poster.

He has been working at mapping every ground he has been to, and has spent time asking questions about ground moves and the like. The results may be valuable to anyone looking to see where the ground they went to was, as Alan has been to a lot of grounds. The matches referred to are, I believe, his first visit to each ground.

He would welcome comments if anyone wants to make them. Post them here and I will pass on. He said there are still a small number he was uncertain about and mentioned Metal Box Worcester as an example.
What's the query about Metal Box Sports?

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The question was:
I have no memory of this one at all. Battenhall Road is very long road running South West out of Worcester. There are two potential grounds or maybe somewhere else completely ? Can anybody confirm please ?

(It appears Alan reads this, but does not post)

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
The question was:
I have no memory of this one at all. Battenhall Road is very long road running South West out of Worcester. There are two potential grounds or maybe somewhere else completely ? Can anybody confirm please ?

(It appears Alan reads this, but does not post)
I did go there back in the eighties; will have a look at Google maps later....

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Thanks Leo for posting this, and to Alan for compiling it. I'd been considering something similar, and this has given me the impetus to to do it. It helps that Alan's map answers many of my queries about long-gone grounds I visited years ago.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
I've made a start, and have so far mapped my first 450 or so grounds. I've got one where my location differs slightly from Alan's.

I have Aberaman AFC's old pitch further west, at the western edge of the current rugby ground at right angles to the main rugby pitch. My one photo of the ground (below) shows buildings north of the pitch which are also visible in historic Google Earth images.

I visited in August 1989, some 18 months after Alan, so it's possible the football pitch was relocated and we're both correct.

425.jpg

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I went in March 1988 and would have said the ground was to the far left of the site. But this is only on sketchy memory and the appearance on google earth dated after the club had moved showing a pitch marked out only for Rugby. I cannot be 100% certain on this

Of course, with a large open field in 1988/9, it is easily possible to reline the pitches in different places

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
My next query is that Alan has British Timken Athletic at the same place as Ford Sports. This one cropped up on the old forum, when acmold posted photos that showed that Timken's old pitch covered at least a third of a current pitch that's just north of Royal Star Drive. Unless Alan saw them elsewhere of course.

I've mapped my grounds up to autumn 1991 so far, helped no end by Alan's research and Google Earth's old images.

I have one ground that's so far defeated me completely. Did any one else visit Newcastle FC (from Newcastle on Clun) before they moved to their current pitch? If so, any idea where the old pitch was?

I went to Newcastle in October 1990, and have the address as Whitcott Hall Farm, which is no help. Like many venues in that part of the world it was just a pitch in a farmer's field (although there was tiny dugout/shelter). I took the below photo, which shows a distinctive hill, and cars parked in a road that runs alongside the top end of the field.

586.jpg

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
My next query is that Alan has British Timken Athletic at the same place as Ford Sports. This one cropped up on the old forum, when acmold posted photos that showed that Timken's old pitch covered at least a third of a current pitch that's just north of Royal Star Drive. Unless Alan saw them elsewhere of course.
Ford Sports played at Royal Oak Way North. If you look at Google Earth's timeline feature and go back to December 2004, you will see the Ford Sports ground. It has always been there, but sometime after 1985, the pitch was turned through 90 degrees while retaining the same clubhouse and dressing-rooms. The site is now covered by an Amazon warehouse.

British Timken Athletic played at Braunston Road, and you are correct in saying that it is now covered more or less by Royal Star Drive. Unfortunately the timeline feature does not go back further than 2004 so we don't have an aerial photo of it, but I did tick the ground long before then and it is definitely not the same as Ford Sports.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Alan's map has Airdrie's old ground at what is now a Tesco just south of the railway line, but I reckon it was actually just north of the railway line, where the Morrisons is now.

Can anyone else confirm?
It was a Safeway first of all, now Morrisons.

Its on line, but I'm on phone and not learnt how to cut and paste on phone (If possible?)

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Alan's map has Airdrie's old ground at what is now a Tesco just south of the railway line, but I reckon it was actually just north of the railway line, where the Morrisons is now.

Can anyone else confirm?
It's funny really, like Alan I had always thought that the old Broomfield Park (which I ticked in '87) was south of the railway line, but looking at the 1945 aerial photo on Google Earth's timeline feature confirms that it was indeed north of the railway line. I wonder what caused both Alan and myself (and possibly others as well) to believe it was south of the line?

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Futbology also appears to have it south of the railway

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Will send that link later when in. Already P/M'd Lord Lucan saying just cos its on line doesnt make it right.
Sure SnottyBoston may send the link.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Perhaps they were thinking of the current ground? After all, Futbology was created long after Airdrie moved to the Excelsior Stadium, or whatever the new ground is called now. Futbology may not have been aware of the existence of the previous ground.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
I found this pic online. If you compare it to Google Maps then both the adjacent roundabout and the area with parked cars on the other side of the railway match up with the stadium being where Morrisons is now.

airdrie.jpeg

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks