April 23rd

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
The first decimal coins were put into circulation on this day in 1968. The 5 and 10 new pence coins were introduced and would replace the old shilling and two shilling ones. It was all in preparation for complete decimalisation replacing the system of pounds shillings and pence in 1971 which will no doubt still be news to some on the forum :p

But where did you go in 1968 on this day or indeed in the 'new money' years?

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
The first decimal coins were put into circulation on this day in 1968. The 5 and 10 new pence coins were introduced and would replace the old shilling and two shilling ones. It was all in preparation for complete decimalisation replacing the system of pounds shillings and pence in 1971 which will no doubt still be news to some on the forum :p

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1983/84 Cranfield 2 Leighton Town 2 SML Div One
Milton Keynes Boro 1 Morris Motors 1 Hellenic Div One
Shefford Town 0 Eaton Bray 2 SML Ch Trophy 2nd Leg
1984/85 Barton Rovers 1 Finchley 2 Ist Div Two (Nth)
1987/88 Aveley 2 Finchley 1 Ist Div Two
1993/94 Spurs 3 Southampton 0 (25,959) Prem Lge
2004/05 Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Barnet 0 (1923) N Con
2010/11 Spurs 2 West Brom 2 (36,160) Prem Lge
2013/14 Hadley 0 Hanwell Town 0 (29) SM Prem Div
2014/15 Haringey Boro 4 Takeley 1 (51) Essex Senior Lge
2015/16 Borehamwood 1Guiseley 0 (601) Vanarama N Lge
2017/18 Brimsdown 1 Bedford 1 (51) SML Div One
2018/19 Spurs 1 Brighton 0 (56,251) Prem Lge
*April 1984 being my first of many trebles in the good company of Eddie Scutt AKA Blackpool Eddie*

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

April 23, 1968.
Stoke v Leeds.
3-2.

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Division 2.
Bristol Rovers 1 Leicester City 1. (8,205)

Division 2.
Fulham 0 Leicester City 1. (24,251)

Leics Senior League 1.
North Kilworth 0 Burbage OB 0.(49)

UCL 1.
Irchester United 1 Sharnbrook 4. (44)

UCL 1.
Whitworth A-A Olney Town. (abandoned at half time through rain with the score at 1-1. I didn't return to this ground for 24 years.

Conference North.
Hinckley United 5 Lancaster City 0.

Conference North.
Solihull Moors 2 Hinckley United 7. (316)

Conference North.
Hinckley United 1 Bishop's Stortford 5.(204)

UCL Premier.
Kirby Muxloe 0 Yaxley 2.(18)

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Sunday 23rd April 1995
Doncaster 16 Workington Town 50 (HT 6-22)
Division One Championship (3.0)
Attendance 2,975
Programme 8pp (50p)

This was Doncaster’s final game at Tattersfield, opened in 1953, two years after ‘The Babes’ joined the Rugby Football League. For much of its life, the Bentley Road ground (named after Leslie Tattersfield, the club’s first chairman) was an embarrassment to the sport. Its crumbling nadir was probably the 1979-80 season, when Yorkshire Television spent a few weeks filming the Dons, then almost incapable of victory, for an award-winning documentary, Another Bloody Sunday. This hour-long time capsule, a real slice of northern life, can be viewed on YouTube (link below).

Ironically, by the time Doncaster were about to go belly up, Tattersfield had never looked better. The Dons were in the First Division (albeit bottom of the table) and investment had resulted in refurbished terracing, pitch drains (previously, Tattersfield was a notorious mudbath) and even floodlights, their substantial pylons visible from trains passing through Bentley on the nearby East Coast Main Line. At the end of this 1994-95 season, seismic changes lay ahead for rugby league: principally, the advent of Super League, to be populated by fully professional clubs, and a switch to a summer season.

The programme, a black and white eight-pager reflecting Doncaster's parlous financial position, mulled gloomily over a campaign that had begun brightly, with victories over St Helens, Wakefield Trinity and Widnes. The Today’s Visitors page concluded: “The Dons will be glad to see the end of a season that promised so much yet turned out to be a nightmare, both on and off the pitch.”

Three-quarters of a page was given over to detailing a proposed merger with Sheffield Eagles. According to the first sentence, it had to “take place by August 1995 for the start of the new, truncated 1995 season”. The outlined idea was for the merged club to play, in Super League, at Don Valley Stadium, Attercliffe, and in Doncaster, “provided a new stadium is available”. The earmarked site, “behind the Dome development”, is where the Keepmoat Stadium was built.

Kevin Clegg, in his Welcome to Tattersfield column, wrote: “This could be the last first team game of rugby league played at the ground. The season opened in exciting style. Everything looked rosy and staying in the First Division looked a good possibility. However, with the much-publicised problems encountered off the field, the Dons now lay bottom of the division, as team performances have suffered with the loss of key players, for one reason or another.

“Nobody knows what is going to happen next. The Super League is facing a lot of opposition and nothing is completely settled. All we can hope for is that rugby league is still played in Doncaster.”

On a brilliantly sunny, warm afternoon, with Tattersfield’s pitch bone hard, Peter Walsh’s Workington Town, who must have brought at least a thousand supporters with them, simply ran riot. Town full-back Mark Mulligan, an Australian, scored the ground’s final try, converted by scrum-half Dean Marwood, in the very last minute. At the end, virtually everybody ran on the pitch. A group of Dons fans hoisted skipper Alex Green onto their shoulders and chaired him back to the changing rooms.

Doncaster included Terry Manning, Audley Pennant, Brendon Carlyle, Simon Tuffs, Dean Bramley and Colin Maskill, with a strong Town side featuring former Great Britain flyer Des Drummond, Kevin Pape, Colin ‘Buck’ Armstrong, Stephen Holgate, Billy McGinty and Australian Phil McKenzie.

In the event, Doncaster, who were liquidated with debts of £1.4m, re-formed (as Doncaster Dragons) almost immediately. Owing to vociferous supporter objections, the merger with Sheffield never took place. Dragons (later Lakers then plain Doncaster) played at Belle Vue and Meadow Court Stadium (an out-of-town dog track in the former pit village of Stainforth) before fetching up at the Keepmoat as part of a sharing arrangement with Doncaster Rovers FC.

Tattersfield, sold for housing to meet debts, was razed. The site, which had boasted a stand on each side of the pitch and a separate clubhouse, lay waste for a number of years before the homes were built. The ground’s record attendance was set shortly before its demise, in January 1989, when 5,274 watched a Challenge Cup first round tie against Wigan.

Football:

Beeston St Anthony’s 2 East End Park WMC 2 (2011, West Yorkshire League, Premier Division). At the time, a colleague of my police officer brother was editing Beeston’s programme. Great job he did, too. This top-five clash was played at King Field, Beeston’s new ground (not that in the film version of The Damned United). Beeston led 2-0 at the break after bossing the first half before East End Park fought back for a deserved point. Having levelled on 78 minutes, the visitors should have won. Lack of composure in front of goal let them down, though keeper Brendon Wood made several fine saves.

St Helens Town 3 Prescot Cables 1 (2002, North West Counties League, Division One). Having visited a packed Knowsley Road on several occasions for big rugby league games, this was a surreal experience. In a town where rugby league is and always will be king, St Helens Town’s footballers barely register. They were playing at Knowsley Road owing to the short-lived Sporting Club St Helens venture, established in 2000. I was among 200 souls scattered about the main stand. Couldn’t help noticing, a couple of rows in front, out-of-work manager John Beck, making notes. He must’ve been scouting on somebody’s behalf. In 2002, I was working nights for PA Sport. I stuck that for 18 months before returning to days (and better health). With a five days on, five days off rota (plus five weeks annual leave and bank holidays in lieu), I had more time out of the office than even I knew what to do with. In the afternoon (2.0), I’d called in at the McAlpine to watch the reserves of Huddersfield Town and Rotherham United. A gathering of 122 saw Terriers’ ‘stiffs’ win an Avon Insurance Premier League fixture 5-0. Only Huddersfield fielded anyone I’d heard of: Martyn Margetson, David Beresford, Kevin Gray, Adi Moses, Kenny Irons, Danny Schofield and Kevin Gallen.

Other sports:

Leigh Centurions 16 Featherstone Rovers 30 (2009, rugby league, Championship). My first and to date only visit to Leigh Sports Village for rugby league. I have seen Leigh Genesis play football at the stadium (the club’s opening match there, I recall). This was a decent game, watched by 2,307, in a ground five-sixths empty. Not bad, though, for a Thursday evening; unpopular with most rugby league followers. Leigh’s seasonal average was 1,984. LSV was designed with Super League in mind. Featherstone, who went on to finish sixth, made the end-of-season play-offs, bowing out, against Halifax, at the penultimate stage. Barrow beat Halifax in the Grand Final. Leigh came home ninth, with only Toulouse Olympique (exempt from relegation) and Doncaster below them.

Wheatley Hills 10 Morley 24 (2003, rugby union, Yorkshire Cup, Round Two). Unexciting ground, with a small stand, hidden round the back of a Doncaster retail park off the A638. Higher grade Morley were made to work hard for a last-eight spot after leading 14-0. Wheatley closed the gap to 10-14 only for Maroons to score a converted third try to secure their passage. Morley, later eliminated, were to host at Scatcherd Lane that season’s final, in which holders Harrogate beat Doncaster 13-12.

Driffield 7 Hull Ionians 43 (2002, rugby union, Yorkshire Cup, Round Two). I's No 8 Kevin Bates ran in a hat-trick of tries. The visitors, who outscored Driffield seven tries to one, were always in control. Part of the vast Driffield Showground, the RU set-up, Kelleythorpe, next to the A164 road into town, is a railed pitch next to a large, two-storey clubhouse. Reasonable turnout on a pleasant evening for what I guess might be termed an East Riding derby. This was the Driffield club’s 75th anniversary season.

Buxton Hitmen 53 Linlithgow Lightning 43 (1995, speedway, British Academy League Challenge). A meeting from Buxton’s second season, when they raced at the High Edge stock car stadium, off the A53 Leek road. The speedway track, constructed inside a tarmac oval, was so poor Buxton soon built their own set-up next door. Just about the only advantage of the stadium was its covered terrace. The scenic views, to the north, were far superior from the purpose-built circuit. This match saw the track record lowered four times. Lightning’s Stewart McDonald, who scored 15 points, clocked 54.5sec, 3.7sec faster than the previous best. A last heat crash resulted in a 20-minute delay while Buxton No 1 Justin Walker was taken to hospital with a shoulder injury. Andre Compton (11+1), Walker (11) and Dean Felton (9+1) were Hitmen’s leading contributors. Veteran Geoff ‘Big Leggy’ Powell (9) and Neil Hewitt (7+3) provided McDonald with most support. Sadly, the poorly supported Buxton club, run throughout on a shoestring by the Moss family, called it a day at the end of the 2018 season.

Berwick Bandits 39 Middlesbrough Bears 39 (1994, speedway, Inter-League Challenge). Speedway is susceptible to the weather, especially early and late in the season. This meeting at Berrington Lough, a cracking little circuit left to return to nature once Berwick went back to Shielfield Park, was nicely poised when a cloudburst forced abandonment three heats early. Always enjoyed my trips to Berrington, a homely stadium in a field, in the middle of nowhere, a few miles west of the A1. Before rain stopped racing, Kiwi Mark Thorpe (9+1), Sean Courtney (9) and Scott Lamb (8) shone for Bandits, with Stuart Robson (10+1), Daz Sumner (10) and Paul Bentley (9+1) spearheading Bears’ challenge.

Middlesbrough Bears 52 Glasgow Tigers 38 (1991, speedway, British League Second Division Gold Cup, Second Leg). A last heat 5-1 from skipper Steve ‘Frog’ Regeling (13+1) and Dave Cheshire (11+1), two Australians, secured an aggregate win bonus point for Bears as they clawed back a 12-point deficit from the first leg at Shawfield. Bears took time to get going but, decisively, took the closing four races 18-6. Lanky Californian Donny ‘Too Tall’ Odom chipped in with seven points. Tigers relied heavily on the always exciting Neil Collins (14) and captain Steve Lawson (9), a Maryport-based mainstay of the Glasgow club for many seasons.

Attachments

Last edited:

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
April 23, 1968.
Stoke v Leeds.
3-2.
I knew you would come up with the goodies. No not Bill Oddie and co before you make that joke.

Living in Knaresborough at that time I was an avid Leeds supporter although it would be a couple of years before I would actually be old enough to go see the team. I remember seeing that result and thinking my world had caved in. Stoke were pants and fighting relegation and Leeds still had a realistic chance of the title.

Without googling I remember someone scored a hat trick for them and effectively ended our chances.

Not sure if I want to thank you for that memory

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
I shall have to write up another game, as I was also at Doncaster vs Workington Town.

Ciderjon

Junior Team Starter
Tuesday 23rd April 1991

Bacup Borough 0 Ashton United 0
North West Counties Div 1
admit £1.50 programme 30 p

I was going to write up the last match at Tattersfield, but couldn't have come up with anything as erudite as Stoodley above. It was a historic event though unlike my next choice........

While I really liked the out of town situation, all dry stone walls and sheep, I can't say the match itself holds a single memory. Liked the covered enclosure, stone built to fit in with surroundings, a most Pennine evening.

AV1960

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Aston Villa (lapsed)
Birmingham City (0) 1 Carlisle United (0) 0
Auto Windscreens Shield Final
Sunday 23rd April, 1995
At Wembley Stadium, Att.: 76,663

The old proverb says "never look a gift horse in the mouth". So when our Transport Manager at work had some freebies for this game, I was happy to relieve him of a couple. Joining me on the day out was my daughter who enjoyed the occasional game and would be 18 in a month's time. I think I resisted the temptation to offer this as part of her birthday present .
The old ground was on it's last legs by now, but it was still a thrill to see the twin towers again. What was a bit less thrilling was the state of the concourses and facilities in general. This was the time of Michael Knighton's Chairmanship at Carlisle United and their fans must wince now at some of the programme's contents. (A4 size, £3.50 for 52 pages). There is a reference to "Michael Knighton looks set to turn Carlisle into unlikely challengers to the throne that Manchester United currently hold" plus details of the "jewel in the crown" being a redeveloped, 28,500 capacity all seater Brunton Park.
By the end of the season both teams would be promoted as champions, with Birmingham City from Division Two (now League One) and Carlisle United from Division Three. However, on the day it took Birmingham a long time for their higher ranking to tell. Eventually I saw my only 'golden goal' ending to a game with Paul Tait scoring on 103 minutes.
He then proceeded to lift his shirt to reveal the message "s**t on the Villa". Ah, money can't buy class like that!
A very enjoyable day out with lots of father/daughter time. Just the small matter of getting out of the Wembley car park awaited :(.
AutoWindscreen 001.jpg

Oxpete

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
At the sharp end of the season, and yet I can find records of only two matches I've attended on this date...

Saturday 23rd April 1983 ~ Portsmouth 4-0 Chesterfield
Tuesday 23rd April 2013 ~ Abingdon Town 1-2 Highworth Town

I can't remember much at all about either of them, so will pick...

Saturday 23rd April 1983 ~
Division Three
Portsmouth 4-0 Chesterfield

...which was just a couple of weeks before Pompey won promotion back to the second division as champions. The side contained several players who had also won promotion previously with the club in 1980, when coming up from the fourth division - one of the best being old-fashioned left-winger Alan Rogers, one of the best crossers of the ball that I've ever seen at Fratton Park...

1587591932034.png

The vulture

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Groundhog
Division Two @ Craven Cottage :
Fulham 0 Leicester City 1
Att 24,251.

This was my 2nd visit to the Cottage in just over 7 weeks, my first being for a Reserve fixture.....of course if I had any friends that alone would be an appropriate reason for them to shun me.

The Cottage was rocking on the day as the hosts stumbled towards a 2nd successive promotion facing visitors themselves on a great run of form.

The game was tight but in-form Leicester were always the most likely. In the opening half Lineker almost gave the visitors the lead with a bicycle kick, whilst Ian Wilson forced a fine save out of Gerry Peyton in the Fulham goal.

In the 2nd half Fulham's Gordon Davies had an effort disallowed for offside, before Ian Wilson scored from about 25 yards to give Leicester the lead. The nearest Fulham came to levelling was a poor headed miss by the ineffective Dean Coney.

Come the end of the season Leicester took the 3rd promotion place 1 point ahead of Fulham. Unbeaten in their final 15 fixtures, the Foxes won 8 and drew 7 picking up 31 points....in their final 15 games Fulham got just 18 points.

Even after this game Fulham had the advantage but took just 3 more points from their final 4 games compared to Leicester winning 6 points.

It was a few months shy of 27 years before my next visit to Craven Cottage.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
North West non-league
5 games for me on April 23rds... though 1 was only extra time...

Wed 23 April 1997 - Manchester United 0 Borussia Dortmund 1 [Agg 0-2]- Champions League Semi Final 2nd Leg
My 80th of 115 visits to Old Trafford - Attendance 53606

Not a memorable game - United 1-0 down from the away leg - lots of hope they could reach that elusive 2nd final... but 8 mins in and Lars Ricksen scored to end any realistic hope. That was how it ended.

Mon 23 April 2012 - Abbey Hey 0 Norton United 4 (HT 0-1) - North West Counties League Div 1
My 1st and only visit to the Abbey Stadium - Attendance 52

I was the roving reporter for BBC London Sport on Monday nights in those days, visiting whatever games were going on on Monday nights around the North. Then the Non League Show was on 9-10pm and luckily I could always find a live game to be at with multiple regularly in Tameside, Bradford PA and Runcorn Town, so with Abbey Hey playing a Monday night promotion 6 pointer due to Norton United's 9 games in 2 weeks marathon, that was the match I went to. However I was torn between that and Curzon Ashton who were playing Garforth at the same time... more of that later.

I went in the clubhouse/office type area to root out a teamsheet so I could sound knowledgeable on air, and the NWCL chairman (who's name escapes me now) turned up, which was surprising as there had been much disgust/upset/anger by Norton United about the scheduling of the end of season games. Indeed this Monday night game was supposed to be the 1st of 4 consecutive league games in 4 nights - all away from home as well! Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, then games Sat , Mon. They didn't all go ahead in the end after Norton lost one and so it no longer counted as a promotion-related match so didn't need to hit any strict deadline.

As I was just copying down the teamsheet, in comes the NWCL chairman to some not too kind words from whoever was there from Norton. He replied "Clubs said they wanted end of April to end the season so that's what's happening. 4/5 day runs is just needs must".... The Norton response to those comments meant that the chairman not only left the room but left the ground and presumably went home! Interestingly Bacup Borough had 6 games in 7 days scheduled too, including the ludicrous 5 consecutive nights - Tue-Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat-Mon. It gave me something interesting to tell all the London listeners anyway!

The game finished 0-4, Norton had a chance of promotion still and news came in that the Curzon Ashton play-off semi final was still level with moments to 90 mins...

Mon 23 April 2012 - Curzon Ashton 2 Norton United 2 AET (pens 4-1) - Evo-Stik League Div 1 North Play-Off Semi Final
My 8th of 8 visits to the Tameside Stadium - Attendance 406

So with Abbey Hey's game over, and me only being in Gorton, I knew I could get to the Tameside Stadium within 10 mins... according to Twitter, we were at 90m so I decided to go for it and arrived with Extra Time having just kicked off at 2-2. Curzon had led twice, Garforth had trailed 2-1 at HT and had equalised on 52 mins to make it 2-2 then dominated the ET but didn't score... there were no goals in ET and it went to penalties. Garforth had a horror over the bar effort for their first kick, scored their 2nd, but the 3rd was saved. Curzon scored theirs & that was game over, as Curzon won 4-1 and went through to the Play Off Final.

Sat 23 April 2016 - Boothstown 1 Royton Town 2 (HT 0-2) - Manchester League Premier Division
My 1st and only visit to Bridgewater Park - KO 1.16pm - Attendance 6

I had a very rare free Saturday, which is how the 2010s went, and even now I am pretty much limited to midweek. But I needed an early KO and found one at Bridgewater Park.. Rather than have KOs staggered to allow the Reserves game to take place before or after, they both played on neighbouring pitches at the same time - and the score was 1-2 in that game too. The game was Royton Town's last chance to keep in touch with leaders Prestwich Heys at the top. They got the win, but couldn't catch Prestwich in the end.

Mon 23 April 2018 - Rolls Reserves 7 Earby Town 1 (HT 4-0) - Craven League Division 1
My 1st of 2 visits to Rolls-Royce Leisure - KO 6.17pm - Attendance 14

This was Earby Town's final league game of the season. They were on 0 points still and had only scored 8 goals so far. So this 7-1 defeat was a good result for them as they scored a rare goal (their only goal of 2018 so far) and kept goals against to single figures. Just after the hour mark I made this note: "In their 19 games played before today, Earby Town have scored 8 and conceded 119 so with -111 GD. Now 5-0 down with 27 mins left and even their own travelling fans having gone home". The antics of the Earby keeper forever miles off his line was the cause of much confusion in their defence, and it was no surprise that they had conceded so many. I also remember it being the shortest HT break I'd seen of just 3 mins.

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Without googling I remember someone scored a hat trick for them and effectively ended our chances.

Not sure if I want to thank you for that memory
Peter Dobing, Stoke City 1970 | Beyond The Last Man

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

I was at Stockport 1 v 1 Colchester on the Friday night so I'm guessing I was on the Stranraer Boat Train , it used to leave Crewe about 23-20 to Stranraer then the 07-00 ferry to Larne then train to Belfast York Road arriving about 10-00.
Wilgar Park was about an hour walk but remember getting a bus for some of it.

Saturday @ 11-30.
Northern Ireland 'B' Div.

@ Wilgar Park.
Dundela 3 v 0 Newry City.

Not the Newry side that are around nowadays , these went bust in 2012 after 89 years.

A new team was formed to start at Mid Ulster League level in 2013/14 , it only took them 6 seasons ( 4 x promotions ) to move from tier 5 to where the new club are now tier 1.

No problem getting between the 2 , half a mile / 20 min amble.

Saturday @ 15-00.
Northern Ireland F A Cup Final
@ Belfast Oval. (Revisit)
Coleraine 4 v 1 Linfield.

The goals.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/39805003

Linfields 3rd consecutive loss in Final inc 2 years ago to Coleraine again , what lousy losers they were. Didn't win the league either.

Coleraine - Vince Magee , Tony Hutton , Eugene McNutt , Liam Beckett , Davy Jackson , Tom Connell , Trevor Porter , Brian Jennings , Mick Guy , Dessie Dickson , Frankie Moffatt.
Sub - Terry Mullan.
Manager -
Scorers - 19 - Beckett / 74 - Dickson / 75 -Moffatt & 89 Guy.

Colraine with the IFA Cup.

Linfield - Ken Barclay , Frank Parkes , John Garrett , Roy Coyle , Peter Rafferty , Jim Lemon , Davie Nixon , Peter Dornan , Ronnie Bell , Jimmy Martin , Eric Magee.
Sub - Billy Hamilton.
Manager - Roy Coyle.
Scorer - 32 - Lemon.

Used to like leaving Belfast in those days so I was on the Sat evening 'Enterprise' to Dublin then one of my regular hotels opposite / near to Connolly.
If trains were running and there were no bombs on the line , a regular problem with the 'Enterprise' , I would catch them as there were no guarantees with the next one.

Sunday was a revisit to Dalymount for Eire 0 v 0 Poland (25,000) then home Sunday night via Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead , used to arrive in Crewe 04-00'ish .

42 x games , 4 x doubles , 1 x 0-0.

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Monday April 23rd 1984
English League Division Two
Newcastle United v Carlisle United, 5-1, H.T. 2-0, Att 33,386
At St James Park, Newcastle

Everyone knows that Carlisle achieved promotion to the top flight for the one and only time in 1973/4. What’s not so well-known is that the closest they came to repeating the feat was ten years later, in 1983/4. That’s what made this match at Newcastle so interesting. Newcastle were 3rd and Carlisle were 6th – nothing other than a Carlisle win would keep their promotion hopes alive. Meanwhile Newcastle needed the points to keep in touch with Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday, and ahead of Man City, Grimsby and Carlisle.

I was down on the train from Edinburgh for a Bank Holiday Monday afternoon ko. Had a few pints in various pubs between the railway station and the ground before taking a place on the terracing at the uncovered Gallowgate End. I recall being in The Strawberry, which even then had the reputation as the archetypal Newcastle United pub. St James Park was a strange mix of the old and new. The old main stand was straight out of Victorian times and looked like a death trap. Opposite was a modern stand. The Leazes End, once covered, had seen that removed some years earlier. At various times in the 70s and 80s I was in all the different parts of St James Park. Other than the new stand it was almost impossible to get a decent view.

Carlisle brought a big support occupying around a quarter of the Leazes End. The ground capacity was given as 37,000 at the time but I’m not sure where any more could have been fitted in that day. The area around me was dangerously overcrowded – it was a case of trying to stand on tip-toe whilst keeping balance in the swaying throng. Leaving the ground at the end was a case of being moved along by the force of the crowd with no way of choosing which exit to take.

Looking at the teams this should have been “no contest”. In fact, Newcastle should have been cruising this Division rather than scrambling for the third promotion spot.

Newcastle: Kevin Carr, John Anderson, Kenny Wharton, David McCreery, Steve Carney, Glenn Roeder, Kevin Keegan, Peter Beardsley, Chris Waddle Terry McDermott and Neil McDonald.
Carlisle: Dave McKellar, Paul Haigh, Bobby Parker, Jackie Ashurst, Don O’Riordan, Mick McCartney, Andy Hill, Tommy Craig, Mally Poskett, Russell Coughlin, Alan Shoulder.

Kevin Keegan was the talisman for the home side. His energy and experience brought out the best in players like Peter Beardsley, Glenn Roeder and a young Chris Waddle. The addition of Terry McDermott from Liverpool provided even more experience in a key area of the pitch. Carlisle’s team was primarily journeymen. Class was provided my former Newcastle man Tommy Craig in the middle of the park.

Roared on by their passionate fans Newcastle simply blew Carlisle away. Kevin Keegan scored the first from close range then set up Chris Waddle for the second in the 39th minute. The game was settled in an incredible minute just after half time. Carlisle were awarded a penalty for handball. Shoulder’s kick was saved by Kevin Carr who also blocked the rebound and the ball was ,launched forward. Terry McDermott powered upfield and sent in a cross that was eventually finished by Keegan. Beardsley added two more to put Newcastle five up before Russell Coughlin got a late consolation for Carlisle.

The goals from the game are in the second half of this You Tube clip:

49691169583_a66c6db8cb_w.jpg

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 HFS Loans League Division One Congleton Town v Warrington Town Lost 2-1

1992 Mid Cheshire Senior Cup Final Second Leg (Aggregate W 3-2)
Northwich Victoria v Winsford United Won 2-1

1994 Northern Premier League Division One Warrington Town v Mossley Lost 0-1

1995 Konica League of Wales Llansantffraid v Afan Lido 0-0

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Ruthin Town v Cefn Druids 1-5

One year on and an identical fixture (no planning on my part here)

1997 P A Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Ruthin Town v Cefn Druids 2-3

2001 Westward Developments Devon League Crediton United v Plymstock United 4-0

2002 Bass Winnington Park Mid Cheshire League Division Two Golborne Sports v Crossfields 1-1

2003 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division One Acrefair Youth v Corwen Reserves 2-1

Abacus Lighting Central Midlands League Vipond Fire Protection Premier Division
Santos v Bentley Colliery 1-5

Forest Town v AFC Barnsley 0-0

Abacus Lighting Central Midlands League Stadium Services Supreme Division
Rainworth Miners Welfare v Teversal 0-2

Welbeck Welfare v Pinxton 1-2 (a great setting at this atmospheric venue with a good decent attendance. The mines have now all gone when we went to do their new ground up the bank. The old pitch was still in situ).

2008 MacKenzie Jones Solicitors Clwyd League Aston Park Rangers v Halkyn United Reserves 5-3

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West Okehampton Argyle v Holsworthy 0-1

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West Camelford v Foxhole Stars 4-0

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West Dobwalls v Callington Town 1-3

2015 Precision Training Notts Senior League Division One Ashland Rovers v Newark Flowserve 3-3

2016 Wearside League Cup Semi-final Stockton Town v Cleator Moor Celtic (T370) 3-1

groundhoppers.blog

Junior Team Sub
Darlington RFC 12 Novocastrians 74

A lop-sided blow-out of a rugby game at the unprepossessing Durham / Northumberland 1 level. A sparse crowd, and a clubhouse half closed to accommodate an evening wedding reception. Why was I even here?

Well, Darlington RFC play at Blackwell Meadows. Darlington FC had recently announced its groundshare with the rugby club. Having a Saturday that didn't allow for much travel, I thought I'd have a look at a future football ground. It was clear that plenty of work was needed to upgrade a fenced off field with a big clubhouse down one side - the first holes were already dug - but the bar looked like it might be promising once the happy couple had headed off on their honeymoon. Struggling Darlo's hopes of getting anything from the game disappeared into the sunset far earlier; Novos were just too strong on the day and the game was never a contest. I'd be back on Boxing Day to see the Quakers play Halifax as the ground opened for football and transformed into a functional venue.

Pre-football on the blog at https://groundhoppers.blog/2016/06/28/checking-out-darlingtons-new-home/
And, for those interested, that Darlington vs Halifax game: https://groundhoppers.blog/2016/12/26/back-home-to-darlingtons-tin-shed/

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
unlike Oxpete, a prolific date for me, 11 matches, including....

1977 - London Senior Cup Final @Dulwich: Wimbledon 0 Staines T 0 aet - probably Staines' finest performance as they held Southern League champions Wimbledon in their penultimate non-league game before being elected to the FL. All the Dons stars there but they couldn't break down their opponents, and indeed the Swans had chances to win it. Estimated crowd 1350. Wimbledon won the replay 1-0.

1983 - Alliance - Wealdstone 2 Scarborough 2 - title-chasing Stones dropped an important point here, eventually finishing third, five points behind champions Enfield. Here, they started well and were a goal up against poor opponents. But the visitors improved in the second half and deserved a draw in the end.

1984 - Middx Senior Cup Final - Hendon 1 Wembley 5 @Harrow - surprise here as Wembley, Isthmian Div 1 (albeit third) beat mid-table Isthmian Prem Hendon with four goals after the break. Richard Cadette, future Brentford (and others) star, was instrumental in the victory.

1992 - Conference - Farnborough T 0 Merthyr T 0 - the home team finished fifth after being promoted again but this was a dull game against the team who finished just above them. Good football played but little goalmouth incident. What there was was stopped by Martyrs legend Gary Wager.

2002 - Northern Prem - Runcorn 0 Bradford PA 2 - mid-table clash, the visitors looked good and got a surprise win, aided by an early goal and a red card for the home team. Played at the Widnes RL ground, which I was quite impressed with.

2011 - Southern Div 1 South/SW - AFC Totton 1 Mangotsfield U 2 - the homesters needed a point to clinch the title but they didn't turn up in the first half and found themselves two goals down. Despite a good comeback they couldn't do it. But they did get the result they needed in their next match. Mangos came third but failed in the playoffs.

The rest are covered in old WDYG reports:
2013 - Conf South - Eastleigh 3 Truro C 1 - free game, and a crowd of 1320 saw the home team clinch their place in the playoffs against difficult opponents with two late goals.

2016 - National League - Eastleigh 0 Tranmere R 1 - 6th v 7th, tight game saw Norwood's very late goal clinch it, but neither team made the playoffs.

2018 - Hampshire Prem - Infinity 1 Bush Hill 1 - tight silly-season game at Knowle between eventual second and third, but Paulsgrove won the league.

A.G.Ricer

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
VS Rugby
23rd April 1973
Rugby Town 2 Kidderminster Harriers 0
Rugby Town :
David Jones, Alan Vaughan, John Brady, Bill Thomas, Doug Griffiths, Jim Cassidy, Norman Foster, Adrian Stewart, Neil Armsrong, Jim Goodfellow, Steve Lee. Sub Phil Lines
Goals : Norman Foster, John Brady
Programme 3p
Rugby Town's last game at Oakfield and their penultimate game ever. It wasn't clear at that time what was happening about Oakfield and indeed the match programme makes no mention of the impending end. The final game was the following day - a 3-1 win at Merthyr . At least they went out on a high with an 8 game unbeaten run.
The saga of Oakfield has rumbled on now for 47 years with , finally, The Co-operative getting planning permission to build on part of it but the rest becoming a public open space.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks