April 9th

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
On this day in 1997 Chelsea rocked up to Coventry City for a Premier League fixture and found that their away kit clashed with the home side. They were forced to borrow Coventrys away kit to play in. And you thought that only happened in non league! Were you at this game? If not then where were you on this day?

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday 9th April 2005
Aberdeen 1 Motherwell 3 (HT 1-2)
Scottish Premier League (3.0)
Attendance 10,443
Programme £2.50 (64pp)

When it came to ‘ticking’ Scottish League grounds in the Eighties and Nineties, we (Cumbrian duo Ian and Terry were regular travelling companions) tended to pick the low hanging fruit – those nearer, geographically, to England. That policy left Pittodrie on the backburner for years. However, a week’s cottage holiday in the wild country between Huntly and Dufftown, with an ex-girlfriend, a Bronte Country sheep farmer, presented the perfect opportunity to ‘do’, on successive Saturdays, first Ross County’s Victoria Park then Pittodrie.

We’d stayed at the same place the previous October. Handily (I say this as if it were unplanned!), that seven-day break had coincided with Scottish League fixtures at Balmoor (Peterhead v Montrose) and Borough Briggs (Elgin City v Stenhousemuir). Welcome long distance ‘ticks’.

A gloriously sunny day in Dingwall ensured the Victoria Park adventure went ahead without a hitch. Ross County recovered from conceding a goal in the second minute to defeat Airdrie United 3-1. We then turned our attention to the usual sightseeing activities. On the Wednesday, however, we woke to discover the isolated cottage, accessed via a single-track unclassified road, enveloped in a thick blanket of snow. The cottage drive, a couple of hundred yards long, was buried to several feet.

In a yesteryear version of the coronavirus lockdown, we were trapped in the cottage for three full days. With little sign of a thaw, I began to fear Pittodrie would elude me. The only shovel in the cottage, whose owner, Edie, lived at Turriff, miles away, was tiny. Its intended use was refuelling the fire. Gamely, I set about clearing the drive with this useless tool. A frustrating, perspiring hour or so in, I spotted headlights coming up the valley. Snowplough! I felt the same relief Keith Carradine and Powers Boothe experienced in the 1981 movie Southern Comfort when, attempting to escape murderous backwoodsmen, they staggered out of a Louisiana swamp just as a lorry was trundling along a back road. Salvation.

Wading through knee-high snow, I flagged down the driver. “Any chance you could clear our drive?” He was so obliging. The next morning, Edie arrived (in a huge 4x4) to do her changeover day cleaning. She was surprised to find so much snow. Turriff had escaped virtually untouched. Lovely though Edie was, I suspect when we rang to warn her about the snow, she’d dismissed us as a couple of soft Sassenachs. With a farm high on the Pennine moors, my ex knew about proper snow!

Suitcases loaded in the boot, we set off for Pittodrie. Out on the sea-warmed coast, of course, there was barely a snowflake to be seen. Game on! This was Aberdeen’s last outing before the late season ‘split’. In his Views from the Dugout column in the programme, Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood commented: “Today we face a Motherwell side battling away for a top six place. They did very well to reach the final of the CIS Insurance Cup [lost 1-5 to Rangers] and they were obviously gutted at playing nowhere near their own high standards on the day itself. Against Rangers last Sunday [lost 2-3 at Fir Park], they were very unlucky and could easily have sneaked a point, so we know we’ll be in for a game today.”

The excellent programme (plenty of interesting historical content) devoted no fewer than eight pages - a white space devotee at work on the design concept, mind - to an interview with Dublin-born left-back Richie Byrne, a close-up of whose stubbled face consumed a disconcerting four-fifths of the cover (below).

To the only too obvious shock of the Pittodrie crowd, Terry Butcher’s Motherwell inflicted a first defeat in six games on Aberdeen. At the time, the loss was seen as a major setback to the Dons’ hopes of Uefa Cup qualification. Well, on the other hand, had all but secured a top six position. The Steelmen took the points on merit. Kevin McBride (22, penalty) and Jim Hamilton (32) capitalised on Dons' poor early finishing to put the visitors in command. Finn Markus Heikkinen (38) pulled one back before Australian Scott McDonald (72) ensured the points headed to Lanarkshire. Motherwell were to finish sixth, Aberdeen two places higher.

McDonald, with 15 goals, was Well’s top scorer that season. The Melbourne goalgetter went on to play for Celtic, Middlesbrough, Millwall, Motherwell again (2015-17), Dundee United and Patrick Thistle. He’s still turning out today, for A-League Brisbane Roar.

The aspect of Pittodrie, an impressive ground with large stands on all four sides, I remember most is how virtually every surface was red. Seemingly, only the pitch escaped the corporate livery treatment!

Other football worth a mention…

Hanley Town 5 Holker Old Boys 1 (2016, North West Counties League, Division One). Scenic drive to the Potteries via Woodhead, Longdendale, Glossop, Buxton and Leek. Always a treat. Leaders Hanley strengthened their position with a comfortable win over play-off hopefuls. The visitors offered little. Their sole plan, getting everyone behind the ball, foundered eight minutes before half-time, when Hanley broke the deadlock. The hosts were so dominant, they could even afford to squander a penalty. 88 watching.

Percy Main Amateurs 3 Carlisle City 0 (2011, Northern Alliance, Premier Division). Tempted by the promise of a quality programme, I made a rare foray into this league. Nice set-up at Purvis Park, with friendly locals in a crowd of 44. Closer, between sixth and third, than the score suggests.

Carlisle weren't happy with the referee, who made some contentious decisions. In the 25th minute, with Main 1-0 up through Michael Bowman (11), he awarded the hosts a 25th-minute penalty. Initial contact between Kevin Westphal and a defender took place outside the box, and the home striker was halfway to the ground when the pair collided a second time, this time inside the area. It looked like six of one. The referee was well behind play, and cannot have had a good view, though his near-side assistant did. Not that Main player-manager Jason Ritchie was bothered. He stuck away the spot-kick emphatically. In the 75th minute, the referee overruled an assistant flagging for offside, and Main substitute Craig ‘Ziggy’ Ewart, latching on to a Graeme Smith boot upfield, having left the bench moments earlier, was allowed to continue and finish coolly. Such was the vehemence of Stephen Bellas’s protests, the City goalkeeper (and player-manager) was sent off.

Carlisle went close on three occasions. Phil Hetherington (16) and Craig Cherry (44) hit the crossbar with free-kicks and Chris Major (88) sent an 18-yard shot curling fractionally wide after a dazzling run. Tellingly, though, this was Main’s third victory over City that season.

Purvis Park, dedicated to the late Alan Purvis, a former player, secretary and chairman who gave 50 years’ service to Percy Main, was, until 1996, Middle Row Park. The name originated from three sets of cottages (for miners and their families, I guess) near the site. A hedge even more splendid than that at Glebe Park, Brechin, separates Purvis Park from the adjacent ground of Percy Main Cricket Club.

Carlton Town 1 Eastwood Town 1 AET, 4-5 on penalties (2008, Notts Senior Cup, Semi-Final). Eastwood, a division higher than Carlton in the Northern Premier League, were pushed all the way in a cracking cup-tie watched by 185. Carlton’s Marquin Smith, a fast, tricky midfielder, shone. Matt Rhead (45) scored for the Badgers, with team-mate Jay Smedley (63) deflecting into his own net a Darrell Thomas header. In the shootout, home substitute Steve Chaplin's penalty against the crossbar, the last kick of the evening, was all that separated the teams. Great effort from Carlton, who had Phil Bignall sent off (in the dressing room) at the end of the first half after a melee in which punches were thrown.

Chasetown 1 Stourport Swifts 0 (2007, Southern League, Midland Division). Chasetown were resisting attempts to move them to the Northern Premier League. The Scholars - great name - is a pleasant ground at the foot of a leafy cul-de-sac on the edge of a well-heeled commuter village. After a wholehearted Easter Monday effort in front of 252, bottom-of-the-table Stourport probably deserved a draw from a vital if scrappy encounter. Swifts didn’t get any breaks and fell behind in the sixth minute when a dazzling run by Mark Branch gave unmarked Karl Edwards an opportunity to prod home his 98th goal in Scholars’ colours. Few of the rest can have been so easy. The visiting defenders shook their heads, as did one of their elderly female fans, in front of me, as she discovered open-toed sandals without tights on an increasingly chilly afternoon was an unwise sartorial selection. The doggedness of Swifts, and poor finishing by Chasetown, ensured the outcome was in doubt right to the end of the considerable stoppage time an irritatingly fastidious referee opted to add.

Knighton Town 1 Newcastle Emlyn 2 (2002, Mid Wales League, South). One of very few games I’ve attended in this league. Tempted along to the home of the Radnor Robins because I was in the vicinity as part of a walking and camping holiday. Decent way to fill a balmy evening. Forty-four others thought so, too. A deserved win at the Show Ground for title-chasing Newcastle. The visitors fluffed three sitters in the last 15 minutes. Knighton, I recall, refused to throw in the towel.

Thackley 2 Lincoln United 1 (1994, Northern Counties East League, Premier Division). 160 at Dennyfield, a pleasant enclosure I’ve visited several times. This was my first outing to the Airedale venue. Thackley's Stuart Taylor bagged a late brace (80, 90) to deny Lincoln, who had led through Rick Ranshaw (38).

Other sports:

Whitehaven 12 Huddersfield 16 (1989, rugby league, Division Two). Another instance of Haven shooting themselves in the foot. The Cumbrians led 12-4 with five minutes left but, to the disappointment of most of the 1,100 in attendance at the Recre, allowed third-from-bottom Fartown to cross twice and snatch an unlikely win. Defeat wrecked Haven’s hopes of a home draw in the end-of-season Premiership play-offs. Full-back Peter Dover, on debut, scored the hosts’ second try.

Rob Ackerman featured on the programme cover. The Ebbw Vale-born centre, who in rugby union had played for the British Lions, Wales, Newport and Cardiff, switched codes with Haven in 1986. He signed a three-year contract worth £60,000. British Nuclear Fuels Ltd, the club’s main sponsor, came up with the money. I suspect Haven would much preferred to have used the investment to bring in, say, three top local amateurs but BNFL wanted a blaze of national publicity for their outlay, and got it when Ackerman was unveiled at a Penrith press conference. Rob, a teacher, was a lovely lad but not noticeably brilliant at rugby league. He later played for Carlisle, Leeds and Salford, and now lives in Australia.

Halifax 10 York 6 (1986, rugby league, Division One). An important victory as Halifax’s title-winning season neared its climax. York led 6-4 going into the 79th minute, only for Fax’s Australian player-coach Chris Anderson to dive over, beneath the black dot, for the game-clinching try, his second of the evening. Defeat was tough on York, who for much of a tight match looked capable of springing a surprise. Played at Fax’s wonderful former Thrum Hall ground, home for 112 years, complete with slope and Victorian pavilion, now a supermarket and bowling greens. 3,425 in attendance.

Bradford Northern 11 Leeds 12 (1985, rugby league, Division One). This was Odsal Stadium’s 50th anniversary season. What now for a venue without an occupant, willing or otherwise? A wet midweek evening probably contributed to a poor crowd of 6,260. Leeds avenged a 14-24 home defeat by Bradford only four days previously. Grim at times but, once ahead at the break, 10-5, Leeds were determined. The Loiners (Rhinos a decade away!) restricted free-scoring home stand-off Ellery Hanley to a single try. Hanley, later to play for Leeds, was on the programme cover (below), with Brian Noble and Keith Mumby, two Northern stalwarts.

Attachments

Last edited:

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Saturday, April 9th 1966. Football League Division Four.
Bradford Park Avenue v Crewe Alexandra 2-1 ( ? ). Att: 4616.

My first ever non-Middlesbrough senior football match. Having left the northeast, I had been deep in rugby league territory for a few years, so this was a novelty day out. The football followers I knew were all Bradford City or Burnley men, and so for my return to football I perversely decided on Park Avenue.

Park Avenue is around two miles from Bradford's Forster Square station, whereas for some reason I had thought that it was only a few minutes away. But it was a warm day, so a brisk walk, and no harm done. With the beautiful Archibald Leitch designed double-sided stand, the huge open terrace, and the 'doll's house' sandwiched between them, I loved the place immediately. I don't really recall anything of the game, other than the hazy impression that Park Avenue were always comfortable, and should probably have won by more.

For some strange reason, I don't have a record of the interval score in this game. Remiss of me, I know, but I have no explanation.

Gosh, if only there should happen to be, on this very forum, someone who knew anything about Crewe Alexandra. I know it's unlikely, and a lot to hope for, but still....

Also worth a mention:
Saturday, April 9th 1983. Kent League.
Ramsgate v Whitstable Town 1-0 (1-0). Att: 52.

Another foray into the Kent League, and another worthwhile day out. Southwood Stadium was an impressive place, with cover on all four sides, and could easily hold around five thousand, and so for the visit of local neighbours Whitstable, the attendance of 52 was pitiful. But then this was actually bottom versus second-bottom, and football in Ramsgate was at its lowest ebb.

Despite this, I saw a decent game, with the hosts scoring quite early on, and then holding on to keep the points. Low-level fodder perhaps, but markedly better than some of the Isthmian and Athenian stuff I had been watching. This was the first of three consecutive bottom-place finishes for Ramsgate in the Kent League. I am pleased that their fortunes have turned, and that Southwood Stadium is still there, as impressive as ever.

DonQuixote

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge

Isthmian Premier
Carshalton 2-0 Barking

Essex Senior League
East Ham 6-0 Woodford

I look back on games such as these and think why did I ever bother?

Have no recollection of either and in hindsight, should have spent the
afternoon down the pub; well for the '93 game as all-day drinking was
still four months away when I made my first visit to Colston Avenue.

#thingscanonlygetbetter

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
The Knitters.

Division 2.
QPR 2 Leicester City 2 (16,261

Division 1.
Southampton 3 Leicester City 1. (15,638)

WBA 1 Leicester City 1.
Att 11,015
Adm £5...Rainbow Stand.

Tebbet and Brown Cup.
Kirby Muxloe 2 Earl Shilton Albion 1.(25)

Mid Comb Cup SF.
Northfield Town 2 Boldmere SM 3. (48)

Conference North.
Hinckley United 0 Harrogate Town 1.

Conference North.
Hyde United 3 Hinckley United 0 (295)

UCL Premier.
Kirby Muxloe 3 Holbeach United 2.(43)

Division 1.
Coventry City 1 WHU 1.(15,816)

hantslondoner

Youth Team Hopeful
seven on this date, including two Easter doubles:

2007:
1100: Wessex 2 - Stoneham 3 Hamble Club 3 (attendance 6) - first season for Stoneham with the new name (previously Ordnance Survey). They finished one place, but 26 points, ahead of Hamble, who in this game managed a rare point (they finished W1 D4 L25 - not bottom!), but Stoneham should have won comfortably. Both teams left for the Hampshire League at the end of the season.
1500: Wessex Prem - Gosport B 3 Fareham T 0 (attendance 374) - the proper derby game in this area. Gosport were convincing winners here against a team that was hard to beat and they won the league on goal difference from AFC Totton (+2) at the end of the season.

2011:
1100: Sussex 2 - Midhurst & E 2 Loxwood 4 - bottom 5 v top 5, but a decent game. We had a 25 minute delay for an ambulance to deal with a broken leg, but reaching my second destination was never in doubt.
1500: West Sussex 1 : Billingshurst 4 Sidlesham 2 - top two, but a noticeable drop in standard compared to the first game, until the second half, when both teams went for it.

also:
1977 - LD1 - Tottenham H 3 QPR 0 - what seemed like an important win, with two by Chris Jones, in a relegation six-pointer, turned out not to be as the Spurs finished bottom and Rangers finished four points clear of the drop.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Saturday, April 9th 1966. Football League Division Four.
Bradford Park Avenue v Crewe Alexandra 2-1 ( ? ). Att: 4616.

For some strange reason, I don't have a record of the interval score in this game. Remiss of me, I know, but I have no explanation.
Even the Bradford Park Avenue Pictorial History and Club Record, written by Malcolm Hartley and Tim Clapham, doesn't include half-time scores in its comprehensive round-up of each season. A shame!

I can tell you Avenue's scorers that afternoon were two of the club's key players: Kevin Hector and Bobby Ham. That season, Hector scored 44 Football League goals, Ham 24 (in a team total of 102, a club record). Hector was the season's top scorer in the Football League. During the 1965-66 season, Hector scored his 100th Football League goal. He was 21 and 156 days. The club history, published twenty years or so ago, says only Jimmy Greaves and Dixie Dean were younger when reaching the landmark. Is that still the case? Coincidentally, Hector established a new Avenue goals-in-a-season record on April 30, when he scored twice at Crewe Alex in a 5-2 win.

Sadly, for Avenue, Hector was sold to Derby County (for a giveaway £34,000) the following September. It was the beginning of the end for Avenue in the Football League. Four completely miserable seasons later, they were voted out, replaced by Cambridge United. Diary of a Lost Cause, Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC, 1966-70, written by Jeremy Charnock, was published in 2019. It covers, in great detail, those final four seasons.

Bobby Ham, incidentally, is now a director at FC Halifax Town. Don't know what Kevin Hector is up to!

I see Avenue club historian Tim Clapham is alive and well on Twitter (@Avenueite). I'm sure he'll be able to give you that elusive half-time score.

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
April 9th provides the opportunity to recall midweek visits to two lost Scottish League venues.

Wednesday April 9th 1980
Clyde v Stirling Albion, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 400 (given), 370 (actual)
At Shawfield Stadium

I was never a great fan of Shawfield. Unless you sat in the main stand the viewing angles were awful. The ground was an elongated oval where the terracing directly behind the north goal must have been fully 50 yards from the bye-line. It was also a three-sided ground with one end being given over to the giant Tote Board and the facilities for the dog racing that was the main money earner.

Clyde had the heart ripped out of them by the GEAR scheme of the 1960s. GEAR stood for Glasgow Eastern Area Renewal. The east end of the city was divided into 27 Comprehensive Redevelopment Areas. This basically meant that the poor quality tenement housing was ripped down. The inhabitants went to one of four locations – New Towns, peripheral housing schemes, Glasgow Overspill towns, or High Rise flats. Clyde’s core local support from Rutherglen, Oatlands, Bridgeton and Dalmarnock were dispersed all over the place.

By 1980 their hard core support was down toa few hundred. Many travelled from East Kilbride where they had been re-housed. This late season midweek game was of vital importance for the home side. They were bottom of the table and must have seen mid-table Stirling Albion as providi9ng a good chance of a win.

The teams were:

Clyde: David McWilliams, Joe Filippi, Bobby Ferris, Jamie McGettrick, Brian Kinnear, Jim Boys, Tom O’Neill, Jim McAlpine, Jim Rodger, Gerry McCabe and Jim Kean. Sub Peter Dolan
Stirling: Gordon Arthur, Alan Skilling, David Steedman, Lloyd Irvine, John Kennedy, Robert Young, Matt McPhee, Bobby Gray, Kerr McGibbon, Robert Beaton, Stuart Heggie. Subs John O’Connor and Graeme Armstrong

Not many well-known names there. For Clyde Joe Filippi had a brief spell with Celtic. Tom O’Neill was a classy midfield player who is still a scout for Aberdeen. Gerry MCCabe became a respected coach. Jim Kean was the man who bankrolled East Kilbride to recent Lowland League success in his role as local businessman. Stirling’s subs included Graeme Armstrong, the player who made more senior appearances than any other player in the history of British football – 910 league games and almost 1100 in total.

I don’t recall much about the game. Every match I saw at Shawfield seemed to be dull. Jim Kean scored the Clyde goal and John O’Connor got the Stirling equaliser. O’Connor is now a Funeral Director in Camelon.

Clyde were relegated at the end of the season, while Stirling ended with the most mid-table of mid-table records, Played 39, Won 13, Drawn 13, Lost 13, For 40, Against 40, Points 39.

If I went for a pint beforehand and I probably did, then it would have been in The Wee Mill, near the ground. This pub was owned by former Wolves, Celtic and Hibs striker Joe McBride and it was popular with football fans. I’d have bought a programme as the Clyde issue was pretty good in those days.

1586419523135.png

Six years later, on

Wednesday April 9th 1986
Scottish League Division One
Hamilton Accies v Falkirk 0-3, H.T. 0-0, Att 2272
At Douglas Park, Hamilton

Accies were top of the table at the time and heading towards promotion to the Premier Division. Ion fact, they needed just one point from this game to make promotion certain. Falkirk were 3rd and chasing hard for the second promotion spot. The attendance was around 1000 more than a typical Hamilton crowd of the time, swelled by a large travelling support backing the Bairns. I was surprised at how few Accies fans turned out for what could have been their first promotion party for over 20 years.

Douglas Park should have been a ground I liked but I never really took to it. It ticked many of the boxes. Central location, terracing close to the pitch and so on, but it never had the same character as the likes of Brockville or Bayview. The old grandstand dated from 1913 and was one of Archibald Leitch’s less impressive designs. Hamilton obviously went for the economy version rather than the deluxe design. Opposite was an area of covered terracing which had been extended in the early 1980s. Both ends were uncovered but had substantial terracing.

The teams for this game were:

Accies: Rikki Ferguson, Steve Clarke, Alex Hamill, Adrian Sprott, Willie Jamieson, Graeme Mitchell, John Pelosi, Willie Watters, Joe Reid, Tom O’Neill and John Brogan. Subs Gerry Phillips and Gerry Collins
Bairns: George Watson, Andy Nicol, Jim Dempsey, Bryan Purdie, Roddy Manley, Brian Martin, Peter Houston, Stuart Robertson, Rab Stewart, Ian Paterson and Jimmy Gilmour. Subs Willie McGuire and Jim Hughes.

Several of the Accies team were notable. Adrian Sprott would make history the following season by scoring the winner against Souness’s Rangers side in the Cup at Ibrox. Tom O’Neill is the same one as featured in the Clyde game. John Brogan was a scoring legend wherever he played and a successful Manager thereafter. Of the Brockville side Brian Martin went on to win a Scotland cap and Peter Houston was a highly respected Manager.

I recall a tousy game on a typically poor Douglas Park pitch. The ground always seemed to cut up and games there were punctuated with mistakes. After a goalless first half Falkirk took command after the break. The diminutive Jimmy Gilmour was the man who made the difference. He was the nephew of the great Jimmy Johnstone and played in a similar style. His cross set up wee Willie McGuire for the first goal in 50 minutes, and just a minute later he set up Peter Houston for the second. Falkirk had the game secured with a third goal just after the hour mark – Gilmour the finisher this time after good work by McGuire.

Hamilton’s programme was one of those landscape format issues with the staples on the short edge. It was very good. I would have gone by car to this one and may well have gone for a pre-match pint. The Academical Vaults was our usual port of call before games at Douglas Park being just around the corner next to Hamilton West station.

1586419427402.png

Last edited:

prorege

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
Even the Bradford Park Avenue Pictorial History and Club Record, written by Malcolm Hartley and Tim Clapham, doesn't include half-time scores in its comprehensive round-up of each season. A shame!

I can tell you Avenue's scorers that afternoon were two of the club's key players: Kevin Hector and Bobby Ham. That season, Hector scored 44 Football League goals, Ham 24 (in a team total of 102, a club record). Hector was the season's top scorer in the Football League. During the 1965-66 season, Hector scored his 100th Football League goal. He was 21 and 156 days. The club history, published twenty years or so ago, says only Jimmy Greaves and Dixie Dean were younger when reaching the landmark. Is that still the case? Coincidentally, Hector established a new Avenue goals-in-a-season record on April 30, when he scored twice at Crewe Alex in a 5-2 win.

Sadly, for Avenue, Hector was sold to Derby County (for a giveaway £34,000) the following September. It was the beginning of the end for Avenue in the Football League. Four completely miserable seasons later, they were voted out, replaced by Cambridge United. Diary of a Lost Cause, Bradford (Park Avenue) AFC, 1966-70, written by Jeremy Charnock, was published in 2019. It covers, in great detail, those final four seasons.

Bobby Ham, incidentally, is now a director at FC Halifax Town. Don't know what Kevin Hector is up to!

I see Avenue club historian Tim Clapham is alive and well on Twitter (@Avenueite). I'm sure he'll be able to give you that elusive half-time score.
Courtesy of the Liverpool Echo in the British Newspaper Archive:

BPA.jpg

agamemnon3

Junior Team Regular
Well done, Prorege...

Let me be honest here, you are not the respondent that I was expecting...

pilgrim46

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall
4 games for me on this date & didn't have to travel very far either

2011 - Plymouth Argyle 2-0 Walsall - League 1
2012 - Plymouth Argyle 1-0 Aldershot Town - League 2
2016 - Plymouth Argyle 1-2 AFC Wimbledon - League 2
2019 - Elburton Villa 1-7 Tavistock - SWPL Premier Division

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Well done, Prorege...

Let me be honest here, you are not the respondent that I was expecting...
He beat me to it.

Add a bit of meat from an Alex perspective.
I didn't go Bradford, being at school with no money I had to tag along with big bro to Shrewsbury.

I was at the Alex the day before v Torquay , won 2-1.
Then on the Monday the Alex lost at Torquay.
3 x games in 4 days , that would not go down well nowadays.
8 of the Alex played in all 3. Mailey, Marshall, Bodell, Stott, Gowans, Kane, Sandiford & King.

What was really interesting in that paper report from Prorege was the Liverpool Reserve side to the right.
One Tommy Lowry went on to play one game that season for Liverpool first team then at the end of season he signed for Crewe , going on to play in 436 games inc 1 as a sub.

Another member of that reserve side joined the Alex for 1967/68 season , Gordon Wallace.
Gordon started in the Liverpool first team in 1964/65 scoring in the Charity Shield v West Ham and then scoring twice v Arsenal on the opening day of Aug 22, 1964 which was also the opening 'Match of the Day'.
It was the main match but Roger Hunt scored the first goal in the 3-2 win but our Gordon scored the 89th minute winner.
His career at Liverpool was short lived , he was injury prone and signed for us at the end of 66/67 season.

In his first season at Crewe he led us to promotion in 1967/68 and then we had a good start to the 1968/69 season until Sept 28th when Brian Garvey broke Wallaces leg at Gresty Rd when playing for Watford. Wallace had scored in the game so Banker Garvey was after him. Hope that's alright Leo.
Gordon did come back the following season but was never the same and then went into a Cars/Petrol Station career with Peter Thompson.

Last edited:

Karb

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Nothing of any great interest on this day. In fact, I think there's only three games in total.

1997 - Wimbledon 0-2 Aston Villa
2005 - Sunderland 1-2 Reading
2011 - Sunderland 2-3 West Bromwich Albion

norwich6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Friday 9th April 1999
Football League Division 2 kick off 1945
Gillingham v Bournemouth
Score 2-1 ht 0-1 Attendance 7813
Admission ? Programme £2

A Friday night game as believe it was televised. Both
sides still had hopes of 2nd place and automatic promotion
behind runaway leaders Fulham. The match was a good one
and a headed Robinson goal separated the sides at halftime.
Gills were the better side after the break and Andy Hessenthaler
levelled 69 minutes with an effort that seemed to take a deflection
on the way in. Just as the game looked to finish 1-1 on loan
from Charlton player Kevin Lisbie touched home a right wing
cross in the dying embers of the match.

Gillingham finished 4th and were to reach the play off final
Bournemouth finished 7th and lost out to Wigan for a
play off place on goal difference

Tuesday 9th April 2013
Isthmian League Division South kick off 1945
Sittingbourne v Burgess Hill @ Bourne Park Sittingbourne
Score 2-1 ht 2-1 Attendance 90
Admission £8 programme £1.50

Nothing on this game as both sides play off chances had
long gone. However on a personal note for me it was the last match
I saw at the ground although Sittingbourne still had two Saturday
home games to play.
All the goals came in the first 45 minutes a 9th minute header put
Burgess Hill ahead before Sittingbourne got back in the match
with a penalty and then took the lead after 30 minutes.

At the end of the season Sittingbourne left the ground and
eventually moved in at Woodstock although the first two home
league games of the following season were played at Whitstable.

However further football was played at Bourne Park as a
local side Bredhurst Juniors played there in the Kent County
League. Their ambitious chairman stated they intended to
move up the pyramid and were aiming for step 6 as soon as possible.

Not too sure what the full story is I moved to Norwich in
January 2015 but it seems that Bredhurst folded before completing
their fixtures in 2015/2016.

Desselsportfan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Dessel Sport, Oxford Utd and all North Devon Clubs
Just the 6 today. Some big gaps but April and September often found us in the USA trying to complete the 50 states (we are at 47 so far)

Corinthian v Erith and Belvedere 2-1 Southern League D1S
Loved this ground, bit of a scary walk along a busy road back to the station in the dark though.

Barlestone St Giles v Dudley Sports 0-4 Mid Com. D1

Sheffield Lane Top v Old Edwardians 7-1 County Senior Lge. D2
This was played at the Forgemasters Sports and Social ground, now part of the Sheffield Utd training complex I believe

Clyst Rovers v Cullompton 3-4 SWPL

Park U. v Northam Lions 5-0 N. Devon Senior

Appledore v Uni of Exeter 0-1 SWPL

martin55

Junior Team Regular
Monday 9th April 1979
Hithercroft, Wallingford
Morrant Hellenic League Premier Division

WALLINGFORD TOWN v CHIPPING NORTON TOWN

My first ever “silly season” match, before I was even aware of such things. I have got the kick-off noted as 6pm, I doubt it started on time. With the kick-off that early I could get here from work, but probably arriving only just before kick-off was due.

I had actually been here for the first time two days earlier when watching the Berks & Bucks County F. A. Intermediate Cup Final (Burnham Reserves 1, Harwell 0) for a another 6pm kick-off.

I don’t remember too much about the game, or the ground back then. However, it was just so different from watching Football League matches, and certainly cemented my resolve to take in more.

The match finished in a 2-2 draw (1-1 at half time). No admission was charged and no programme on sale.

Wiretown.Editor

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
A busy day (the numbers in brackets are the number of games my son had attended with me - hard pushed to add to it these days, before the virus restrictions naturally)

09-Apr-02 Cherry Red Records Hellenic League Premier Division Wootton Bassett Town v Fairford Town 0-2

09-Apr-03 North West Counties League Division One Flixton v Warrington Town L 1-0

09-Apr-05 Mumtaz West Riding County Amateur League Division One Salts v Morley Town T39 3-3

09-Apr-07 Eagle Bitter United Counties League Division One Thrapston Town v Rothwell Corinthians 1-3

09-Apr-07 Sport Italia Hellenic League Division One West Hook Norton v Old Woodstock Town 2-0

09-Apr-07 Midland Combination Division One archdale’73 v University of Birmingham 2-2

09-Apr-08 Frank Armitt Liverpool County FA Premier League Premier Division Old Xaverians v South Sefton Borough 2-0

09-Apr-11 Skilltrainingltd Northern League Division Two Whickham v Washington (T253) 1-1

09-Apr-11 Skilltrainingltd Northern League Division One South Shields v Stokesley (T254) 0-2

09-Apr-12 Oxfordshire Senior League Ben Turner Cup Final (@ Oxfordshire University Press FC)
Horspath v Slade Farm United 0-2

09-Apr-12 Baker Joiner Midland Alliance Stratford Town v Highgate United 4-2

09-Apr-12 Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One North Witton Albion v Warrington Town L 5-0

09-Apr-13 Bridgewater Office Supplies Manchester League Division One Irlam Steel v AFC Bury 3-1

09-Apr-16 Marcliff Gloucestershire County League Cheltenham Civil Service v Rockleaze Rangers 2-3

09-Apr-19 Evo-Stik League Premier Division Warrington Town v Whitby Town W 1-0

The Willows

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
April 9th provides the opportunity to recall midweek visits to two lost Scottish League venues.

Wednesday April 9th 1980
Clyde v Stirling Albion, 1-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 400 (given), 370 (actual)
At Shawfield Stadium

I was never a great fan of Shawfield. Unless you sat in the main stand the viewing angles were awful. The ground was an elongated oval where the terracing directly behind the north goal must have been fully 50 yards from the bye-line. It was also a three-sided ground with one end being given over to the giant Tote Board and the facilities for the dog racing that was the main money earner.

Clyde had the heart ripped out of them by the GEAR scheme of the 1960s. GEAR stood for Glasgow Eastern Area Renewal. The east end of the city was divided into 27 Comprehensive Redevelopment Areas. This basically meant that the poor quality tenement housing was ripped down. The inhabitants went to one of four locations – New Towns, peripheral housing schemes, Glasgow Overspill towns, or High Rise flats. Clyde’s core local support from Rutherglen, Oatlands, Bridgeton and Dalmarnock were dispersed all over the place.

By 1980 their hard core support was down toa few hundred. Many travelled from East Kilbride where they had been re-housed. This late season midweek game was of vital importance for the home side. They were bottom of the table and must have seen mid-table Stirling Albion as providi9ng a good chance of a win.

The teams were:

Clyde: David McWilliams, Joe Filippi, Bobby Ferris, Jamie McGettrick, Brian Kinnear, Jim Boys, Tom O’Neill, Jim McAlpine, Jim Rodger, Gerry McCabe and Jim Kean. Sub Peter Dolan
Stirling: Gordon Arthur, Alan Skilling, David Steedman, Lloyd Irvine, John Kennedy, Robert Young, Matt McPhee, Bobby Gray, Kerr McGibbon, Robert Beaton, Stuart Heggie. Subs John O’Connor and Graeme Armstrong

Not many well-known names there. For Clyde Joe Filippi had a brief spell with Celtic. Tom O’Neill was a classy midfield player who is still a scout for Aberdeen. Gerry MCCabe became a respected coach. Jim Kean was the man who bankrolled East Kilbride to recent Lowland League success in his role as local businessman. Stirling’s subs included Graeme Armstrong, the player who made more senior appearances than any other player in the history of British football – 910 league games and almost 1100 in total.

I don’t recall much about the game. Every match I saw at Shawfield seemed to be dull. Jim Kean scored the Clyde goal and John O’Connor got the Stirling equaliser. O’Connor is now a Funeral Director in Camelon.

Clyde were relegated at the end of the season, while Stirling ended with the most mid-table of mid-table records, Played 39, Won 13, Drawn 13, Lost 13, For 40, Against 40, Points 39.

If I went for a pint beforehand and I probably did, then it would have been in The Wee Mill, near the ground. This pub was owned by former Wolves, Celtic and Hibs striker Joe McBride and it was popular with football fans. I’d have bought a programme as the Clyde issue was pretty good in those days.

View attachment 690
Interesting to read your report on the social dispersal of the fan base. My only visit was for a night game in their last year at Shawfield in 1986. Clyde 3 East Fife 4 Attendance 450. I liked the ramshackle ground for its unique style of a football setting. Also recalled having an after game pint in their social club, which I believe was in Rutherglen, before the 6 hour drive home.

A.G.Ricer

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
VS Rugby
9th April 1966
Easter Saturday
Rugby Town 3 Margate 2
Southern League Premier Division
Programme 6d

This win and a 3-1 win against Yeovil on Easter Monday were not enough to save Town from relegation. Three draws and three defeats in the remaining six games saw to that. Ronnie Radford in the Rugby side before his later heroics for Hereford.
Rugby Town :
Ted Smethurst, John Bramwell, Peter Lawton, Don Walker, Malcolm Scott, Ron Radford, Hugh Morrow, Gerald Sweenie, Jimmy Walsh, Jeff Denial, Roy Senior.
Goals Rugby : Walsh, Denial , Sweenie.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks