August 1st

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Yes, its August :cool:

In 1981, MTV was launched in the USA. The first video played, killed the radio stars

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
1992 Scottish League Premier
Motherwell 0 Dundee United 1
Att: 5037

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Thursday @ 20-00.
Iceland top tier.
Valur 3 v 1 IBV.

@ Hlidarenda.
Origo völlurinn  - Reykjavík
-1596249078188.png
Ta Thomas.

Valur - Larus Sigurdsson , Bjarki Stefansson (1), Kristjan Halidorsson , Jon Jonsson , Gunnar Einarsson , Ivar Ingimarsson , Nebojsa Corovic , Salih Porca (1), Sigurdur Gretarsson , Sig Juliusson , Jon Helgason (1).
Subs - Arnljotur Davidsson for Gretarsson , Tony Gregory for Juliusson , Sigurbjorn Hreidarsson for Corovic.
Manager - Omar Ransson.

IBV - Fridrik Fridriksson , Fridrik Saebjornsson , Ivar Bjarklind , Hermann Hreidarsson (1), Jon Arnarsson , Ludvik Jonasson , Ingi Sigurdsson , Hlynur Stfansson , Bjarnolfur Larusson , Leifur Hafsteinsson , Steingrimur Johannesson.
Subs - Rutur Snorasson for Jonasson , Kristinn Haflidason for Larusson , Nokkvi Sveinsson for Hafsteinsson.
Manager - Atli Edvaldsson.

Referee - Bragi Bergmann.

Last day of a fortnight in the Seamans Mission Reykjavik , holiday shared with Hutch and Yorkie Ken. 13 games (8 x top flight) . No falling out again.
Said goodbye to the staff at the off licence and had my last can with the ducks on the pond , it was a tearful goodbye but I told them I'd be back.

It was a decent game with Valur worth their win.
Met up with IBV manager Atli again after spending most of the previous Sunday / Mon in his company .Next time I met up with him I was with Hutch again and he remembered us , he was Icelandic manager at the time.

A claim to fame for Atli was scoring 5 goals on the Saturday for Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Bundesliga and then scoring for Iceland v Malta on the Sunday.
What a lovely chap , died last September at the very young age of 62.
RIP Image result for atli edvaldsson

13 x games , 0 x 0-0'sAngler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock10x foreign.

Now blogging at
--- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.
1973 Hibs 2 v 1 Rangers.
1983 Mjondalen 0 v 3 Bryne.
2016 Olimpia Ljubljiana 3 v 1 Krsko.

----------------Warsaw Uprising--1944-----------------------------Act became lawful in 1834-----
To what extent was the Zhukov complicit in letting the Warsaw ...-
See the source image

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1986/87 Finchley 2 Barnet 4 (Friendly)
1989/90 Finchley 1 Tottenham Hotspur Xl 4 (Friendly)
2002/03 Wingate & Finchley 1 Grays Athletic 4 (Friendly)
2012/13 Wingate & Finchley 1 Wycombe Wanderers 0 (Friendly)
2017/18 Colney Heath 8 St Margaretsbury 2 Att 85 (Herts Charity Shield 1st Round)

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Oadby Town 0 Newcastle United 3.
Adm. £3.
Prog. 50p.
Att. 980.
Game was played to officially open the new clubhouse and was arranged by Peter Mallinger who was at the time the vice chairman of Newcastle and president of Oadby

mxhornet

Youth Team Sub
Football

2009 Norwich City Youth - 2 Brentford Youth - 1 @ Colney Training Ground

2017 Wroxham - 0 Histon - 0 a disappointing opening game in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division between two of the much fancied sides, they finished 13th and 6th respectively.

2018 Longham - 3 Wymondham Town Reserves - 3 PSF a rare chance to see a first team game on the village pitch, a decent game as the score suggests also notable for both sides turning up in the same kit, WT played with their shirts inside out.

Running

1993 King's Lynn Triathlon (800 metres swim/32km cycle/8km run) 1-49-29 39th

1995 Duke Street (Norwich) 5km 17-57 34th

2004 Eastern Veterans 5km - Grantchester 18-45 7th

2008 Wibbly Wobbly Log Jog - Brandon Forest 35-34 58th probably the oddest name of a race I've done

2015 Mulbarton parkrun (125) 24-25 24th

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Makita International Tournament (@ Leeds United FC)

Nottingham Forest v Sampdoria 0-2

Leeds United v VFB Stuttgart Won 2-1

1995 Pre Season Friendly Northwich Victoria v Bury Lost 1-2

1999 JJB Sports Super League IV Warrington Wolves v Hull Sharks Won 32-12

2000 Pre Season Friendly General Chemicals v Warrington Town Won 0-3

2009 The Co-operative Rugby League Summer Conference North West Premier Division

Blackpool Sea Eagles v Lymm (T166) 18-48

Played on one of the outside pitches close to AFC Blackpool (Mechanics) ground. The pitch was in the corner and just roped off. There was a programme. I think I met up with Andy Sneddon at this one.

2015 Four games and three new grounds on the P & D League/UCL hop. Blackstones was the revisit. Programmes at all games

Chromasports & Trophies Peterborough & District League Premier Division Ketton v Netherton United 2-2

ChromaSports & Trophies United Counties League Division One Blackstones v Rusden & Higham United 1-1

Chromasports & Trophies Peterborough & District League Division One Stamford Belvedere v Wittering 1-3

ChromaSports & Trophies United Counties League Division One Oakham United v Buckingham Town 5-2

barnetbee

Junior Team Sub
1989 Finchley 1 Tottenham XI 4 (pre season friendly)
1990 Edgware Town 0 Leyton-Wingate 1 (pre season friendly)
1992 Potters Bar Town 5 Southgate Athletic 1 (Middlesex Senior Cup)
2015 Harrow Borough 3 Cockfosters 0 (Middlesex Charity Cup Final @ Harrow, held over from previous season.

Ricardo

Junior Team Star
1998 Sochaux 1 Wimbledon 1(Sochaux win 4-3 on pens)
Portsmouth Centenary Tournament crowd 3,500

In those days Wimbledon rarely played continental sides you’d ever heard of preferring to play 4th division Norwegian sides instead so when the chance came to see someone reasonably well known albeit in a four team tournament at Fratton Park I thought I’d take it. The other two teams were Pompey and Serie B side Genoa and the smallish crowd reflected the fact that perhaps the locals might have expected something better to celebrate 100 years of history.
Portsmouth played Genoa in the first game which ended 2-2 with John Durnin and the Australian John Aloisi scoring, Genoa won the penalty shootout to put them into the final the next day. I genuinely can’t remember whether I saw that game or part of it but I was there for the Wimbledon game which proved reasonably unmemorable too expect for the fact that Sochaux had 4 supporters there which is 4 more than I expected, cue chants of‘Come in a Peugeot, you must’ve come in a Peugeot’.
The Wimbledon game ended 1-1 and true to English form we lost the penalty shoot out too, this time 4-3 which meant we played Pompey the next day in the third place game which we won 3-1 whereas Sochaux beat Genoa 2-1 in the final but I didn’t bother to attend on the Sunday as it wasn’t the most scintillating of tournaments.

hantslondoner

Youth Team Sub
I remember Atli Edvaldsson, one of the most influential Icelandic players, and was very good in Germany in the 80s. Didn't know he'd also done well as a manager.

Again, just the four PSFs on the first day of August, the last one covered on an old WDYG:

1992 - 1500 - Havant T. 3 Kingstonian 1
Good performance by the home team, who were one up at the interval and continued to upset their higher-ranked opponents' rhythm with hard tackling and a direct approach.

1993 - 1150 - AFC Totton 2 Sutton U. 4
Sutton arrived late (KO planned for 1130) but dominated from the start and led at half time. The Stags weren't great in the first half, were over-physical, and missed a penalty. Both teams got better after the break, the home side equalised, but the visitors, for whom Thompson scored twice, then scored two quick goals and held on despite a good comeback by the hosts. Played at the old Testwood Park,

1997 - 1500 - Waterlooville 2 Bournemouth Poppies 0 - small b/w programme issued
The lower-ranked visitors defended well, if robustly, and with better goalkeeping the scoreline would have been closer. Played at the old Jubilee Park.

2015 - 1500 - Esh Winning 1 Durham C. 5 - programme issued
The Div 1 side were heavy favourites but it was 1-1 at half time after a spirited performance by the lowly Div 2 hosts. After use of the hairdryer, the visitors looked better after the break, but it took a fluke goal to put them ahead, and two late goals to give the scoreline a flattering look against tiring opponents. Nice setup at West Terrace, situated in Waterhouses.

town ender

Junior Team Sub
Saturday 1st August 1981
Queen of the South 1-1 Sheffield United (pre-season friendly)

First of many visits to Palmerston and a view from the main (at the time the only) stand as the visitors warmed up for their one and only season of fourth division football.
No programme, but lots of familiar names out on the pitch - definitely remember Keith Edwards and Bob Hatton up front for Sheffield United.
Plenty up from Yorkshire and quite a lively atmosphere. Recall the Queens goal, Rowan Alexander breaking down the middle and lobbing the keeper, given the number of years which have elapsed I couldn’t tell you whether United scored first or equalised.

Ellisref

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Very thin on the ground today unless I include cricket, which I don't unless it's something obscure or of note (my rules).

2009 - Old Oakmeadians v Shoulder of Mutton United - referee. This was played at Oakmead School, which is just across the dual carriageway from the SoM pub. A pleasant two bar pub which sometimes features in the GBG (branch rotation nomination). Oaks were a Bournemouth Saturday Premier side, whilst Shoulder played in the Sunday League using most of the same players (working the way up through the divisions - this season it was Division 4, played 20, won 20). A few of the players have since moved to Merley Cobham Sports.
2017 - Hamworthy United v Lymington Town (Wessex Premier) - observer. The Tuesday night start to the season to allow teams to get a competitive game in before the long road to Wembley started on the following Saturday. Att. 185, a review of my report suggests the game got a bit feisty in the last 20 minutes with five cautions (one player getting two and the removal of a manager from the technical area).

SHAMELESS PLUG - 2020 marks the centenary of the Bournemouth FA and they've produced a history, compiled by the respected local programme producer, Ian Claxton. Well worth the read (I even get a mention) Contact Bournemouth FA via their website for details.

Mark

Junior Team Starter
Saturday 1 August 1998
Broadway Utd 1-7 Brownhills Town

Friendly
Attendance: 15

This was an attractive, well-enclosed ground a short walk from the centre of this popular Cotswold village. There was a clubhouse / changing rooms in the near corner with a pay & display car park behind the near goal, the pitch was either fully railed or mostly railed, there were dugouts on the left side and on the right side was a grass bank with a small wooden cover on the half-way line.

I think this game was played around the time when Broadway were set to join the Midland Combination but they withdrew before the season began. They usually featured in the Stratford Alliance and Worcester & District Leagues, and I think they later switched to the Cheltenham League, before playing only Sunday football.

The ground still exists but I believe the pitch was shorted at some point due to new houses built behind the far goal and it was later found to be too short, resulting in the team switching to the adjacent open pitch.

Ricardo

Junior Team Star
Very thin on the ground today unless I include cricket, which I don't unless it's something obscure or of note (my rules).

2009 - Old Oakmeadians v Shoulder of Mutton United - referee. This was played at Oakmead School, which is just across the dual carriageway from the SoM pub. A pleasant two bar pub which sometimes features in the GBG (branch rotation nomination). Oaks were a Bournemouth Saturday Premier side, whilst Shoulder played in the Sunday League using most of the same players (working the way up through the divisions - this season it was Division 4, played 20, won 20). A few of the players have since moved to Merley Cobham Sports.
2017 - Hamworthy United v Lymington Town (Wessex Premier) - observer. The Tuesday night start to the season to allow teams to get a competitive game in before the long road to Wembley started on the following Saturday. Att. 185, a review of my report suggests the game got a bit feisty in the last 20 minutes with five cautions (one player getting two and the removal of a manager from the technical area).

SHAMELESS PLUG - 2020 marks the centenary of the Bournemouth FA and they've produced a history, compiled by the respected local programme producer, Ian Claxton. Well worth the read (I even get a mention) Contact Bournemouth FA via their website for details.
Is there any mention of Bournemouth Gasworks? I once worked with someone who said he was a fan

Warwickian

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leamington
Saturday 1st August 1987
Coventry City 0 Everton 1
FA Charity Shield

Only 11 weeks after winning the FA Cup Coventry were back at Wembley for the Charity Shield.Unlike the Cup final this was a rather subdued affair with Everton scoring on the only goal on 44 minutes through Wayne Clarke. The Sky Blues had almost the same team that had played in the final with new signing David Speedie replacing Cyrille Regis as the only change.
Attendance of 88,000.

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1985 Grantham 0 Blades XI 0 @ Kings School Att. 100
1986 Blades 1 Sevilla 1 Att 2,208
1987 Stafford Rangers 3 Blades XI 1
1992 Bangor City 0 Blades XI 3
1998 Salford City 3 Blades XI 0
2007 Wigtown & Bladnoch 1 Stranraer Athletic 6 SoS League HT 0-2
2011 Tadcaster Albion 3 Thorpe United 1 Templenewsam Cup 1st round HT 3-1

Rugby League
2009 Parkside Hawks 37 Rotherham Giants 34 Regional Conf. North Midlands Play off Final HT 18-16 AET (30-30)
2010 Fev. Rovers 30 Eagles 32 L1 HT 12-14
2015 Knottingley Worms 36 Ossett Trinity 10 Yorks. 3 HT 22-6 @ Knottingley RU

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Saturday 1st August 1981
Queen of the South 1-1 Sheffield United (pre-season friendly)

First of many visits to Palmerston and a view from the main (at the time the only) stand as the visitors warmed up for their one and only season of fourth division football.
No programme, but lots of familiar names out on the pitch - definitely remember Keith Edwards and Bob Hatton up front for Sheffield United.
Plenty up from Yorkshire and quite a lively atmosphere. Recall the Queens goal, Rowan Alexander breaking down the middle and lobbing the keeper, given the number of years which have elapsed I couldn’t tell you whether United scored first or equalised.
Not quite got the syndrome of watching the Blades play anywhere just yet by that time. Lost it now, I might add.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
12 for me on this date, although the first three can be dismissed, being only friendlies

1981 - Woodfood Town 1-1 Hillingdon Borough, one of the few grounds ticked for friendlies, that have not been visited later. Snakes Lane is not likely to be done in the near future either

1984 Forest Green Rovers 0-2 Cardiff City and 1985, Forest Green Rovers 2-0 Coventry City. I quite liked to pop along to the Lawn when FGR played in black and white, were a friendly club not run by an egomaniac

1990 - My early season railtour continues, heading from Salzburg to Wien, where I was to stay for a few days, without over indulging in football. I had a game in the Wednesday, 1 August but it was then sightseeing only until the Saturday game. So I pad 140 Schillings to enter the Gerhard-Hannapi Stadion and see a Viennese derby between Rapid Wien and First Vienna. Around 4,000 watching, and a free programme. First scored first, but Rapid equalised before the break, and then a Rapid pair in the 60th and 61st minutes gave them a 3-1 win. Jan Age Fjörtoft scored the final goal, he was to score 63 goals for Rapid in 129 games before moving to England.

1998 - And about as far from Vienna as I could get, while still being in Austria. Of course, arriving from Zurich made this easier. Lustenau has two football grounds and (at the time) two railway stations. The station I got out of the train at may have been the closest to the Reichshofstadion, but it had no facilities at all, meaning I was dragging my baggage through the town. Au in Switzerland is apparently the closest station to the football ground. I was allowed to drop my baggage in a wooden tower used as a commentary/announcer's box. The game, in the top division of the Austrian League was a 2-2 draw against Tirol Innsbruck, with the home taking the lead in the first period, the away side taking the lead in the second, but scores level at the end of each half.

2007 - After two days in the S-League, Singapore, I cross the border to the Malaysian League. Johor FC were not the same club as Johor FA, the club I had seen in 1989 had been relegated to the lower division and spent one year under the long winded sponsor's name of Johor Pihak Berkuasa Tempatan Pasir Gudang. For 2007, they were back to being Johor FA. I know that in 2006-7, the original Johor FA had decamped to Pasir Gudang, but I am not sure if they were back in JB for 2007. The company JCorp had bought out a small club in 1996 and renamed them as Johor FC. They moved to the Pasir Gudang grounds. Until 2006/7, both teams were in the lower division, but an expansion of the Super League in 2007 allowed FC to be promoted. In 2013, there was a new name, Johor Darul Ta'zim. This combined both clubs with Johor FC becoming the first team, and Johor FA becoming the reserves. The Crown prince of Johor, Tunku Ismail Idris is the owner of the combined club with a minority shareholding from a company in Dubai. The change brought about JDT's rise to be the most prominent team in Malaysia.

Back in 2007, the ride to Pasir Gudang was not so easy, I crossed from Singapore to JB, but I think I needed a taxi to my hotel in Pasir Gudang, and another to the ground as the PG area is well spaced out, if somewhat sparse. I might have found a bus to escape in the morning. With a remote feeling over the ground location, it had not caught the attention of many fans, there were about 500 there. It cost RM15 (about £2.20) to enter. No programme, and a reasonably comfortable home win, beating Sarawak 3-1

Johor v Sarawak Stadium JCorp m.jpg

2008 - It may be ironic, that I had made several visit to Northern Ireland, watching games but without staying overnight, until 2008. And then my first time staying in the territory, my game was a League of Ireland match. It was of course played in the North, being as it was Derry City 0-1 Shamrock Rovers. Derry, (or Londonderry as you please) appeared then to be a memorial and a museum to the troubles. There are plenty of reminders wherever you go of the divide, and just the hope that peace can prevail. I have chosen a few from this one as tweet of the day

2009 - Cup action (or inaction) in Belgium as KFC Lille and KFC de Kempen Tielen-Lichtaart play out a scoreless draw, before a lengthy penalty shoot out, in which every player on the field at the end took a penalty, The 21st penalty was the only one off target, and hence by scoring the 22nd, KFC Lille progressed. P8010323 m.JPG

2010 - Another Belgium Cup game, this time at Gent-Zeehaven who had moved grounds since my visit nine years earlier. €10 to enter, around 400 there and no programme, the home team 2-0 up at the break, with Merelbeke pulling one back but losing out 2-1.

P1000993 m.JPG

2015 - Three games on the hop, Ketton 2-2 Netherton United (284), Stamford Belvedere 1-3 Wittering (314) and Oakham United 5-2 Buckingham Town (341). First two in Peterborough League, the last one in United Counties, so it cost £4 for the first two and £5 at Oakham

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1973, Wednesday

Drybrough Cup Semi Final
Hibernian v Rangers, 2-1 AET, Att 28,089
At Easter Road

The Glasgow Herald’s Ian Archer had quite a way with words. His report on this match starts “Hibernian last night won a Drybrough Cup tie that blurred the distinction between acceptable aggression and outrageous violence”. Yes, it may have ben July but the Scottish football season was back with a bang.

Hibs: Jim McArthur, Des Bremner, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Arthur Duncan, Alex Edwards, Alan Gordon, Ian Munro and Alex Cropley. Subs Tony Higgins and Bobby Smith
Rangers: Peter McCloy, Sandy Jardine, Willie Mathieson, John Greig, derek Johnstone, Tom Forsyth, Tommy Mclean, Ally Scott, Derek Parlane, Alex MacDonald and Quintin Young. Subs Jim Denny and Johnny Hamilton

Archer continued “The fighting that broke out on the terraces early in the second half strengthened the gathering impression that this was not one of Scottish football’s more gracious nights. If it were still possible to admire the physical commitment of the 26 players it was quite impossible to condone so many errors of judgement and taste”.

Referee Archie Webster of Falkirk was always one of the indulgent Scottish refs and he only booked three when upwards of a dozen might have merited it. Archer described it as “a series of mistimed and sometimes evil tackles that built up in a hothouse arena”.

The first half was a war of attrition with few scoring chances – Cropley coming closest when he hit the bar just before the break. As the second half began much attention focussed on the battling breaking out around the terraces. Many missed Des Bremner’s penetrating run into the box and low shot that sped into the net for 1-0. Within a minute, with police running across the pitch, Derek Parlane forced the ball in from close range for the equaliser.

The game went to extra time – with Tony Higgins grabbing the winner early on.

My Dad took me and a pal to the game and we were in the North Stand – very much a Hibee only area. The after-match scenes in the narrow streets around Easter Road are still talked about as running battles continued all the way from Easter Road to the city centre. The Rangers fans then took their anger out on the trains as they headed back to the West.

Aug 1.jpgpress 2.jpg

View attachment 3361

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks